Books you are reading

waterwhip

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

"Ulysses" by James Joyce. Toughie, but I'm getting into it.

You don't "get into" that book. It's like the Black Sea, you just kinda float on top of it.

Speaking of that, I just finished The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon, which was great.

Currently reading the Kite Runner, in all honesty amazing book, really gets you into it if you have the patience for books that aren't all about the action.

Which, for me was rather difficult, because before reading Kite Runner I read Fight Club, and trust me, such a combo no one reader wants to make. O.o

Embittered Moon, 1984 is a classic for its ideas but it's also horrid for its pacing. I've read the book and found a great interest in the ideas, but it simply feels like Orwell just kept writing and writing until his fingers hurt to the bone and then he kept writing just for the hell of it. I'm not going to say not to read it because it serves as a nice Literature classic and is very similar in the core concept to Brave New World, but be prepared for some serious yawning at parts.

Ambrosia, Ulysses, um...good luck. The book is experimental literary genius but it is also a confusing pile of concept - more or less, Joyce attempted to put all literary genius into one book and to put forth all his ideas there, so if it gets cluttered, confusing, and messy, don't be surprised, it's supposed to be that way.

For 8th Grade Language Arts and Social Studies Classes (At Same Time), I'm reading the most boring book ever, The Killer Angels (Almost Finished)

Never thought that it was boring because I like the story / concept of the book - but once again it's all about subjectivity since some people hate such books.

Never thought that it was boring because I like the story / concept of the book - but once again it's all about subjectivity since some people hate such books.

its not that, i just hate how my teachers said to read it like a book, get to know the characters, and feel like we are in the Cival War. I, and most of the 180 people reading it at our school, would agree that we read it more like a textbook. But, i am starting to enjoy the characters themselves, but the book is overall a not-so-entertaining book, but we still have 2 more chapters and we are done with the whole book, does it get better at the climax/resolution?

its not that, i just hate how my teachers said to read it like a book, get to know the characters, and feel like we are in the Cival War. I, and most of the 180 people reading it at our school, would agree that we read it more like a textbook. But, i am starting to enjoy the characters themselves, but the book is overall a not-so-entertaining book, but we still have 2 more chapters and we are done with the whole book, does it get better at the climax/resolution?

Again, it's all very subjective, so I can't say much - I personally loved the entire book, so the climax was no exception to that.

Archived