Yu-Gi-Oh! Armageddon (PG13) - Finished

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed you broke the fourth wall, using "you" in sentences a lot, and that's a no-no.

Actually, when used well, the second-person perspective is a great narrative that offers a lot of personal insight. I used it to some degree in Chapter Fourteen: Those Less Fortunate, a chapter widely regarded by the forum's best writers as an exquisite piece of writing. You should check it out sometime. It uses the second-person perspective quite a lot, actually: the narrative consists mostly of "we"s and "you"s. It puts the story on a personal level that third-person narrative has to work far more to achieve.

I didn't see a problem with any "you" usage I saw in Armageddon - which might be from the fact that it was 3:27 AM when I read it - but even if he used it, I don't directly see a problem with that.

Actually, when used well, the second-person perspective is a great narrative that offers a lot of personal insight. I used it to some degree in Chapter Fourteen: Those Less Fortunate, a chapter widely regarded by the forum's best writers as an exquisite piece of writing. You should check it out sometime. It uses the second-person perspective quite a lot, actually: the narrative consists mostly of "we"s and "you"s. It puts the story on a personal level that third-person narrative has to work far more to achieve.

I didn't see a problem with any "you" usage I saw in Armageddon - which might be from the fact that it was 3:27 AM when I read it - but even if he used it, I don't directly see a problem with that.

I've always been taught that second-person formatting is the worst kind of formatting to use, because it takes away from the power of the narrator in the event that he breaks the fourth wall. There's no real "problem" with it, as it's just like "a major nitpick" to me.

BTW: Matt, I'm trying to commission some artwork, kind of like a final pose theme, for all of the main characters in the story (who have the Signer Dragons). I think you are going to like it, if I can get around to someone who would be willing to put up with my nitpicking on this subject.

It doesn't really break the fourth wall, at least not more than first-person does. Both of them place the reader inside the world of the story; in second-person, the narrator is someone other than the protagonist, the "you" rather than the "I".

It's confusing to me.

And have you ever noticed that 70% of the ff.net fan-fics are always in first person? It doesn't make you more of an accomplished writer if you are using first-person. In fact, it makes your job a lot harder because the "I" gets so annoying. It's also really hard to characterize using first-person.

A good writer realizes that the three perspectives (four, if you count "we", which would be a hybrid of first and second) are entirely different, and can use those differences to make characterization believable.

First person allows direct access to the protagonist's personal thoughts and viewpoints, second person allows interpretations of how their actions affect the world around them and how they are percieved by the other characters in the story, and third-person allows an ominous viewpoint of all involved characters.

Each perspective has their pros and their cons, and while I'm aware that there's ways to treat a perspective badly - FF.net is just one of many example, although I would like some source of that statistic - there's also ways to use all of them well. For a good example of a classical novel that uses the second person, I'd recommend The Catcher in the Rye. The protagonist isn't the narrator; the very first sentence of the book is "If you really want to know about it...", indicating that he is, indeed, talking to someone in the story - and that someone is us.

Once again I've missed some releases and shall review them all.

Chapter 65: Yay! Yuma's still alive! *turns into chibi-self and starts clappin*

*stops clapping* Eh, and now she's defeated again? Well I gues she helped Demon.

Also 'THE WICKED ERASER' apearing was kinda unexpected. Though plz remind me, did another 'THER WICKED' monster apear somewhere before, because I have a feeling it did.

Chapter 66 I: Honestly I love the number as it fits the theme. Hehe.

Anywho I knew that one of the hidden cards of Fygmorge would be a 'trap'. It just seems like something he would do. Finally Dravir has redemed himself. Him Summoning MSD was quite inspiring. Though I think the sword of light was somewhat overkill. It was a great first part of the chapter.

Chapter 66 II: Ah, I just love the calm way Sabin explained everything that happened.

*deep sigh* Man I really hoped some people that died would miraculously be revived (as despite my apearance I actually like happy endings and this one's somewhat sad), however I agree that it didn't happen. As it really depicts the real losses from war. The only remark is that the ending kinda reminded me of GX's ending. But that's ok.

I would like to say that this is the best 'finished' fic I've read (though its also the only one I've read) and that you've done an amazing job on it.

Onto the '5 years after chapters' I'm really looking forward to those. And I suggest Sabin's last duel being a ground duel, because it just seems more fit imo. Seeing as his first duel was one aswell.

Wow guys, just logged on at end of my night shift and seriously I'm so overwhelmed by the response this thing has had.

There are many things I could say about Armageddon at this point. That it takes its rightful place as one of YCM's finest pieces of completed fictional works is one of them. That the sheer brilliance of some of the schemes and plans presented is overwhelming is another. The fact that it brought me close to tears more than once. The incredibly high amount of effort that went into posting multiple chapters a week on a rather regular schedule, and at a high rate, is worth admiring.

However, I think there are two sentences that sum it up more than anything else.

I decided to stay up and read through what I had missed on Armageddon, the last eight chapters or so, in a single sitting. It is currently 3:28 in the morning where I live.

Bravo, friend. Bravo.

At last, someone admits that I got them to cry! *fist waves in delight*

Thank you so much for everything Umbra. You and Saber have, no disrespect to anyone else because I appreciate everyone's views, you two have been the Yoda and Obi Wan for young Luke here while I've been doing this, thank you so much. :)

I guess that is dedication right there.

Great conclusion to an even more awesome story. I was expecting the Sabin vs. Juruo ending to be a rip-off of the Jack and Yusei Duel is 5D's, but I'm sincerely glad that you didn't do that. I noticed you broke the fourth wall, using "you" in sentences a lot, and that's a no-no. But beyond that, there aren't any complaints here. Great way of wrapping up this wonderful story (think I said that already, lol) and should definitely be stickied as one to remember. Or maybe make a thread for the best "completed" fan-fics on this site (I am, of course, giving proper credit to Trio of DEF as well, ;P). Kyubey would be all up for that (I hope).

EDIT: I think this has given me even more reason to work on my next fan-fiction now, and I made a promise to myself that it was going to be the most absolutely perfect fan-fiction on here. We'll see how that plays out. :)

I like this ending music even better. Lol. :P

Thanks man.

Although I haven't watched the subbed/proper ending of 5D's yet, I've already formed the opinion that Jack should have won the last duel just to end Yusei's unbeatableness. But dueling, just seemed the apt way to end.

Hope your fic goes well, and I will listen to the music when I'm not at work :P

DAMN, IT'S O-

*reads omake chapters coming*

*fist-pumps*

Matt.

I don't make this comparison often, if at all. I'd like to think that this comparison would be the highest form of a compliment that I'm capable of giving.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Armageddon = Smex

Firstly, congratulations on finishing your story. I remember how awesome I felt when I finished DEF and seeing people express how they enjoyed the story.

Feels fanfreakingtastic, right?

But at the same time, you might be feeling a tad empty because a big part of your life (not THAT big, but you know >>) is over, right?

Either way, be proud of yourself. You've written an awesome fanfic that I agree does need to be immortalized on this site somehow.

The final chapter, even though Juruo didn't do the finisher, I could still live with Demon doing him in since it fitted, he did it epically, there was a pretty happy ending, and that Juruo did the sensible thing by hooking up with Hikari.

I am looking forward to the last bonus chapters as well as your new fic, whenever it comes out.

Seriously, shoot me a PM.

Okay now you're just going too far! :D

You're right, it does feel amazing, especially reading this level of feedback from happy people. And I do feel very empty now. Eight months is a lonnnnng time and I've got very/too attached to these characters who I've seen go so far in that time, further than I ever imagined back in January. I'm doing the omake chapters as kindof a personal goodbye for myself (don't worry I'm not killing them all) as well as to try and tie up some loose ends and get in better habits duel writing wise for next time.

Omake chapters should appear in three weeks time when I FINALLY get home broadband sorted (1st of 4 is almost written already), next fic will be next year. Will keep you all posted.

AWESOME!!!, congratulations on finishing it, and I don't think I can decide between Armageddon and Dead Zone either, both are brilliant stories, so please keep posting chapters in Dead Zone and finish it Saber. :)

Also, please PM me too when the next fic happens.

No really, for the last time, Dead Zone is better than this. Or at least it will be if it ends! (Less subtle hints to Saber :P)

Thank you for reading and enjoying it.

I've always been taught that second-person formatting is the worst kind of formatting to use, because it takes away from the power of the narrator in the event that he breaks the fourth wall. There's no real "problem" with it, as it's just like "a major nitpick" to me.

BTW: Matt, I'm trying to commission some artwork, kind of like a final pose theme, for all of the main characters in the story (who have the Signer Dragons). I think you are going to like it, if I can get around to someone who would be willing to put up with my nitpicking on this subject.

I'm just going to say all these talk of 'fourth wall' and stuff, has gone totally over my head. So I'll just stand here and nod.

Can't remember using 'you' all that often, will read it back later.

I would love to see it. Be interesting how similar they are in drawing to in my mind.

Once again I've missed some releases and shall review them all.

Chapter 65: Yay! Yuma's still alive! *turns into chibi-self and starts clappin*

*stops clapping* Eh, and now she's defeated again? Well I gues she helped Demon.

Also 'THE WICKED ERASER' apearing was kinda unexpected. Though plz remind me, did another 'THER WICKED' monster apear somewhere before, because I have a feeling it did.

Chapter 66 I: Honestly I love the number as it fits the theme. Hehe.

Anywho I knew that one of the hidden cards of Fygmorge would be a 'trap'. It just seems like something he would do. Finally Dravir has redemed himself. Him Summoning MSD was quite inspiring. Though I think the sword of light was somewhat overkill. It was a great first part of the chapter.

Chapter 66 II: Ah, I just love the calm way Sabin explained everything that happened.

*deep sigh* Man I really hoped some people that died would miraculously be revived (as despite my apearance I actually like happy endings and this one's somewhat sad), however I agree that it didn't happen. As it really depicts the real losses from war. The only remark is that the ending kinda reminded me of GX's ending. But that's ok.

I would like to say that this is the best 'finished' fic I've read (though its also the only one I've read) and that you've done an amazing job on it.

Onto the '5 years after chapters' I'm really looking forward to those. And I suggest Sabin's last duel being a ground duel, because it just seems more fit imo. Seeing as his first duel was one aswell.

Out of all the characters, I wanted Sabin and Yuma to have their happy ending together the most.

No, Fygmorke was the only character to use WICKED. Klein in Dead Zone used them early on, maybe you're thinking of him?

The sword thing. Well I did Demon with a sword along with most of the other characters (although most seemed to lose theirs along the way), but I did it without knowing a character in 5D's had one. Having since watched 5D's, I'm kinda annoyed Primo never used his sword, except to point at Lazar occasionally. So a flying stab at the big bad seemed a good idea. Which GX ending? The very very end that's only in sub?

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it and stay tuned for them.

That's one vote for Sabin ground duel? Any more votes? Also, any ideas for opposition they'd like to see in terms of deck? Let me know.

Now in the meantime, I think I'm going to go home, to bed at the end of a long shift, extremely happy. *I'm not gonna cry... not gonna cry... :D*

Out of all the characters, I wanted Sabin and Yuma to have their happy ending together the most.

Quite understandable. It's still kinda a sad ending though.

No, Fygmorke was the only character to use WICKED. Klein in Dead Zone used them early on, maybe you're thinking of him?

Of course! That must be the consiquences from reading 2 fics at 1 time.

The sword thing. Well I did Demon with a sword along with most of the other characters (although most seemed to lose theirs along the way), but I did it without knowing a character in 5D's had one. Having since watched 5D's, I'm kinda annoyed Primo never used his sword, except to point at Lazar occasionally. So a flying stab at the big bad seemed a good idea.

Well I could've understanded if he'd just stabbed his father. But the sword turning into light was somewhat Overkill imo.

Which GX ending? The very very end that's only in sub?

Yes. With that duel's ending which was never shown.

• 2 weeks later...

*Weeping* I...can't believe it's over. Dude, your like my role model.

Yeah, it's over. Most survived, but many didn't. Some new relationships came out of the chaos, some were broken.

Except...

I don't want to leave it there...

I wasn't going to post this until the weekend because I was hoping I'd be able to do it from home by then, but since someone bumped the thread and teed me up with the comment, I suddenly want to do this now. The first of four 'Aftermath' chapters that finish the story once and for all. Now, lets see how those relationships and losses are going say... five years later.

[spoiler=Warning]

Warning: This following chapter is very sad, but also I think, and this might just be me, that it contains the single most epic moment in this entire fic, and I only wish I could see your reactions when you get to it.

[spoiler=Armageddon's Aftermath]

The following events occurred five years after the day that came to be known as ‘Final Dawn’…

“C’mon Juruo. Let’s open this thing up. We’re going to be late otherwise.”

Melanc continued to fidget in the seat behind Juruo and attempt to cajole him into speeding up the runner for a minute or so as the bike continued to cruise along the mountain path, overlooking the vast green forest and glistening stream below them and overshadowed by the great snow capped peaks to their right, the south side. Juruo ignored him for now. The road was clear, but all mountain driving required caution, especially in the dim light broken only slightly by the orangey glow of the breaking dawn after driving for as long as he had. It would have been more sensible to spend the night at an inn closer to their destination, allowing him more rest. But that might have meant meeting prematurely, and that wouldn’t have felt right with any of them. Not for where they were going to, not for what they were going to do.

“Don’t worry Mel. It’s not far now. We’ll have plenty of time to spare.” Mel flopped back in his seat in a huff, crossing his arms. This annoyed Juruo. Melanc was fifteen now, and had changed much in the time since they had last visited this area. He had grown a lot physically of course, although was still shorter than the rest of the party, maybe now just average for his age after a late growth spurt. He was still a plucky guy, at the very least attempting most sports and clubs offered by school and discovering a natural talent for football, and hadn’t done the whole angsty teenage thing like most his age, which he could have been forgiven for if he had given his past. Juruo admired him for that, but he could still be quite immature. Juruo himself hadn’t changed very much at all. He was wearing a similar style of clothes to what he wore back at that time, although he’d since been able to update his look with new, more quality clothes. But nothing flash; just a plain black leather coat and riding gear, he would still keep to his roots of a city boy from a poor background. Not that they were poor anymore. Pallas had seen to that. His clothes, and his new top range duel runner; emerald green and silver in colour with an engine that sounded like a raging beast, were proof of that.

Juruo turned to look at the sidecar next to him and smiled. Hikari was dozing in the seat down beside him. She hadn’t changed drastically either. She had kept her long brown hair that drifted across her pretty face and frail body, her body that still bore the scars of her tortures, now covered mostly by a white blouse, jeans and short boots, although her arms remained exposed from the shoulder to the favoured bandage wraps coming up to the elbow. Her eyelids flickered slightly as light flickered over the mountain tops, easing her from her dreaming.

Since that day five years ago, the three had returned together to the capital city. There they had found the place in a frenzy of celebration, that life had survived the final countdown, or ‘the ten days of hell’ as they had since been called by some. That this world had been shaken to the core, that thousands and thousands had died, but in the end existence continued on its path, and for many it was a new start. Juruo Hikari and Mel were not greeted by a hero’s welcome themselves, but they had never wanted that. Only a few would ever know the truth. But seeing so many happy faces was enough. However Pallas, who had been appointed governor of the city on a permanent basis, and Dominik, now head of city security, had come to them and heard everything that had happened, and in thanks they made sure that as much as they wanted an everyday life, they would never have to toil in factories and poverty like Juruo had before.

Juruo’s mother, Emily, returned to the city a few days later having received contact from Juruo. Overcome with relief and joy she was to come home to her son, but she could not have foreseen she was coming back to a comfortable three bedroom house in the inner sector of the city, and that it would be full. Upon arrival to her new home that had been gifted to them, Juruo introduced her to Hikari and Mel, explained that they had no other family, and that he had sworn he would look after and protect them. Of course Emily immediately invited them to live together. So came about this odd but loving little family, looked after to an extent by the state, but able to get on with resuming normal life.

As the years passed; the after effects of what happened still lingered on. Even now some of the scars of the fraying boundaries between this world and the duel spirit world could still be seen. Sightings of duel monsters still happened, although they grew less frequent each year. The abnormal weather that had swung in extreme ways before and after the ten days eventually settled back to normal. The climate of fear disappeared over time, and as one the nation began to rebuild, as did reality.

A month after ‘the ten days’, Pallas renounced the forbidding of the game of duel monsters and not only legalised it, but had every motion possible put in place to make it prominent in life like it had been before, to get the Empire back to where it was before the dark days of Nero’s later reign. A duel academy was rebuilt in the city, to which Mel went to straight away. The duel stadium was also rebuilt and pro leagues burst into life, and continued to steadily grow. After some initial doubt due to wanting to fade back into everyday life (and fighting much provoking from Hikari), Juruo eventually gave into his dreams and went pro in both the ground and turbo circuits, to some success. Hikari herself never desired to go pro. After dedicating a long period of her life to fighting, she had no idea what to do now peace was at hand. But she eventually found her calling too, allowing her to let others develop and fulfil their dreams, by becoming an apprentice teacher at the Duel Academy. She still struggled with her afflictions, but with Juruo by her side as their relationship grew stronger, she lived life to the fullest. Waking up to this day, beside these people she loved, was what made this life so incredible.

“It’s almost dawn. We are going to be in time right?”

“Will you two just relax; it’s just around this corner. See, here we are. With time to spare and not even the last to arrive.”

Relieved that they had finally reached their destination, Juruo pulled up the runner and stretched in the semi-darkness. ‘Here’ turned out to be a dead end of the road ending at the base of a small grassy tor; in the most northern part of the snow capped range of Glamis. There was a dusty path leading up the heather covered tor, odd groups of rocks produced from the purple green covering, before it cleared and the path disappeared over the top of the rise and onto a flat, the highest point of this excluded part of the range. Two other runners were parked across the road from where Juruo had stopped; standard silver models. Mel jumped off the back seat and ran straight up the path, whilst Hikari and Juruo made their way a little more slowly, enjoying the scenery together; the fresh mountain air, the soft plant life and the chirping of small birds, allowing Mel to go on ahead to meet those who were already waiting half way up the hill, past the heather grassland in the semi-darkness. One was playing with his silver lighter as he waited, pocketing it when he noticed the oncoming group that the other had pointed out to him. Mel reached them first and embraced the other boy in a hug, releasing it just as Juruo and Hikari reached them. The first time they had seen these guys in five years.

Raesir had changed a little, having forgone his red tattoo exposing jacket and black get up for casual shirt and jeans and shortened his wild hair. Luca however, looked a real mess. His blonde hair that always been kept pristine in its weird spike fell down his neck, and thick blonde stubble covered his jaw. His cheeks had sunken slightly and looking at him next to the stocky Raesir they could tell his athletic physique had gone away a little bit too, but the most disheartening thing was his eyes. They looked cold and empty as he looked at them. He smiled gauntly to try to hide it, but he was still clearly suffering.

“I’m so glad you called us Luca” Hikari said as she embraced him. “I was so worried about you when I last saw you. But what you’ve done is amazing, I already know it.”

“Thank you Hikari. You know how much I needed this. But I think we all need to see it. Together. And that they all deserve it in the end. To be here and remembered, every one of them.”

“How are you holding up Raesir?” Juruo asked. There was no physical contact between the Flamvell wielding duelist and those who had just arrived, something Raesir understood and preferred. But he appreciated the gesture.

“Just keeping on living. I’ve started a smith’s apprenticeship back at home, and was able to supply Luca with a lot of materials, along with contacts for the rest of the stuff. I’ve met someone too recently, only had a few dates but hoping it is going somewhere. She didn’t want to come today though. Said she didn’t want to invade on something this personal.”

“Good for you. I’m glad you’re getting your life back on track.”

Mel turned east to look at the sun that was just starting to creep over the horizon. “It’s nearly time. I hope the others get here soon. From what you said Luca, it’ll be best if we catch the sunrise.”

“Don’t worry Mel, we have a few minutes. Actually, I think I can hear a duel runner coming now.”

Straining their hearing, the group realised that Luca was right; another runner was approaching the hill. It was a different sound to the ominous roar that Juruo’s runner made when he opened up the engine; it was a quiet purring of a motor. The group looked back down the hill and were surprised to see the runner appear almost instantly given it had sounded so far away, a bulky crimson red model with no flashy spoilers and a side car that looked permanently attached. The runner stopped, the rider got off and removed his helmet, before helping his passenger out of the side car, and they made their way up the path together. The group watched in stunned silence at what was approaching, a delighted silence.

Sabin was striding confidently towards them, his face lit up with a broad grin. His tanned arms were covered in tattoos depicting all manner of designs all the way from wrist to shoulder; his favourite would later be revealed as the two angels embracing on his left tricep with two names written stylishly beneath them. He had committed to the ponytail he had grown over the course of their adventure, and had kept his rough street image despite the financial security he had also been given. Holding his hand tightly was Yuma, who smiled up at the group as she approached. Her black dress had been replaced by a short white summer dress that fluttered in the morning breeze, exposing her long legs and slender arms that were covered by white silk versions of her familiar gloves. Her many items of jewellery and flower in the hair, a white rose, remained the same, except for the additional silver ring that adorned her right hand, mirroring a thicker one on Sabin’s. But the thing that the stunned group were focused on most was none of these things. What took up all of their focus was the bundle of blankets that Yuma cradled in her right arm to her breasts, and the little hand that could be seen clutching at the cloth. Before anyone could speak, Sabin and Yuma were stood among them. Sabin proceeded to handshake and backslap each of the guys he hadn’t seen for such a long time, whilst Yuma French-kissed them all (including Raesir, and also Mel who turned beetroot at getting a kiss off her).

“I’ve been waiting for this day for a long time, for us all to be back together” Sabin said as he French-kissed a shell-shocked Hikari. He was puzzled by their reaction, until Yuma poked him in the ribs and nodded to the bundle of blankets, causing him to turn a little red. “Oh yeah, it really has been a long time for you guys not to know. Guys, this is our daughter, Melody. She turned two last week.”

“Aww, congratulations guys” Hikari said, her and the others faces lit up as Yuma revealed a little more of her baby girl. The tiny infant’s skin was a baby pinkish hint of the southern tan inherited from her mother, and was just starting to grow similar dark hair. She was sleeping soundly now, sucking the thumb of the hand that wasn’t clutching at her bundle.

“Isn’t she beautiful?” Sabin cooed rhetorically. “Just like her mother.” Yuma smiled and allowed him a quick smooch. “Obviously you can’t see now, but she has my eyes.”

“Well that explains the choice of runner you drive nowadays” Juruo said, shaking Sabin’s hand again. “Didn’t think it was your style when you were parking it up, unless married life turned you soft.”

“Oh that’s one I just rent for family use” Sabin waved dismissively at the runner down in the road, irritated by the playful jibe. Juruo and Hikari had known about the pair’s engagement having received a letter via Pallas four years ago, but since then had unfortunately lost contact as both families focused on building their own futures at opposite ends of the Empire. “We don’t do enough travelling with Melody to make buying one worthwhile yet. My proper duel runner would wipe the track with your training wheels. But now I’m going pro I might get one for us.”

“House first babe” Yuma said. “We’ve been living together with mom in my old village since then, which has given us a really solid base for our family. But now Sabin’s going to be a professional duelist we’re going to move to the city together, and we were hoping you could help us with that. Oh, speaking of professional duelling, I have something for you Juruo. Something I’m sure you’ll like.”

Yuma nodded to her partner, who reached into one of his jean pockets. From there he pulled out two cards, which he handed to Juruo face down with a knowing grin. Puzzled, Juruo flipped them and gasped. One of the cards was a white Synchro monster card, but the name, picture and everything else were blank. The other card was one he never dared to hope he would hold again.

“How...? Where did you find her?” Juruo stuttered as he Hikari and Mel stared wide eyed at Stardust Dragon.

“She only appeared before me a few weeks ago” Yuma replied, that mysterious tone in her voice once again. “I had a strange dream, one I only remember snatches of. More of a nightmare than a dream. Stardust was in it, as well as Sabin’s Red Dragon Archfiend, and then they disappeared. When I woke up, these cards had just appeared on the bedside table out of nowhere. I don’t know how or why, I haven’t been able to reach Ancient Fairy Dragon to ask her, but maybe you are needed to wield her once more.”

“Strange old world ain’t it?” Sabin said, revealing his own blank card. “I’m none the wiser either mate, but if anything ever threatens my girls, you know I’ll fight and take them down.”

“Guys, it’s almost sunrise” Luca interrupted, pointing to the eastern sky. “We should really get up there now for the full experience.” The group nodded in agreement, and started the rest of the climb together. It was only a minute or two’s walk to the flat top which they made in unison, and when they reached the area at the top, the sight took their breath away.

In front of the group rose the fruits of Luca’s five year mission. Six beasts carved from white stone in the finest detail, rising above the heads of the group, each depicting the favourite monsters of the duelists buried here. Unable to fund for a master mason to do them, Luca had done most of it himself, although had been aided by volunteers sympathetic to his cause to do the tricky bits such as facial detail. Before the selection of dragons and giant warriors were seven graves in a concave arc, allowing each person to stand before one grave. As the sun started to break fully over the horizon, each stone glowed in the orange light, giving them a warm glow.

“It’s beautiful Luca” Yuma whispered to him. Luca nodded with a weak smile, whilst around them each person approached the monument of a lost loved one and remembered.

Gear Roberts – Nov 23rd 3147 to Aug 28th 3170 – An abused soul, now free from the coldness shown by this world. Raesir had fought tooth and nail for the inclusion of the ally he was now stood before the grave of. Laid in the shadow of his Karakuri Shogun, Gear’s was one of the few graves that had genuine remains buried below it, a broken body that he and Luca had bought here five years ago after they chanced upon this site and decided it to be the perfect final resting place for those who would be honoured here. “Hey Gear, it’s been too long. You know that when I first met you, I found someone who had suffered as much as I had in life, and that became a bond of kinds. An ally to get me through and spur me towards what we wanted, what would make us complete again. Yeah we messed up a lot, and we did a lot of evil things for our own gain, but we did our best to try to put things right. I guess our best wasn’t good enough, but at least you’re free from your coldness now. No one can hurt you anymore.”

Tyrana Sauro – July 18th 3155 to Aug 28th 3170 – A soft heart beat under a rough exterior, who fought for the lives of others, even knowing it would cost her own. Luca stared at those words that he had carved in the stone with longing. Tyrana had been the first to be buried here, before the long process of finding and recovering bodies and building the monument had began. Whenever Luca had faulted from the task he had given himself, he would look at her gravestone, at the enormous figure of Life Stream Dragon behind her, and would struggle on. “I did it Tyrana. I finally finished it. I hope you like it..... I really wish - more than anything - that you were standing here beside me for real, that we could do everything we dreamed we could do in the free world we’d created together. But I know you’re with me in my memory, and also that now my task here is complete... that I have to move on. I can finally let you go, because you’ll be remembered forever here, by all of us who knew underneath that tough cookie attitude what a kind and brave person you were... Goodbye...”

Barakus Jackson – Sept 1st 3130 to Aug 20th 3170 – A colossal man with an even greater heart, who always stood up for what he held dear. The giant blacksmiths grave was empty, for no-one had the heart to move his body from his home village where his wife Freya still visited his grave. But a monument here next to his brothers was always deemed appropriate. There was also no duel monster statue, as duelling had never been a big part of his life. Sabin stood directly in front of the gravestone, clutching Yuma’s hand as she looked across at it for a moment, whilst remembering his father in law. “Hey big man, how’s things? You keeping your little brothers out of trouble up there? You know... when you first saw me, you had a lot more faith in me than the others did at the time, even though I was kind of a jerk. But I still must have been about the last person you’d have approved Yuma to end up with back then. However, I know you’re looking down on us now, and you can see the change in me that she’s inspired. I will always love and protect her, no matter what.”

Dravir Jackson – Dec 22nd 3134 to Aug 28th 3170 – A great mind born into an evil world, let your light overshadow all your despair. Feeling Sabin’s hand tighten around hers, Yuma turned her gaze from the grave of her father on the left to the one of her uncle in front of her, a grave that was of course empty. The centre most gravestone, allowing the brothers to be next to one another, and for the one who had in the end saved them all to have the largest, grandest gravestone of them all, with the faithful Demise standing over and protecting him. She held Melody tightly to her as the baby girl cried a little in her sleep. “Thank you uncle Dravir. The road of madness you walked along as you were plagued by the curses put upon you was so lonely, so filled with despair; I can’t blame you for what you did, even though it did cause thousands to lose their lives. It’s selfish of me, but if you hadn’t done those things, me and Sabin would probably never have met. But no matter how horrific your crimes, I believe you can always atone, and what’s important is you made up for it. It’s thanks to you that I have everything I hold dear now, that we all have a life in which things mean so much to us. I hope you can rest easy and free from your pain now.”

Vardus Jackson – Nov 28th 3135 to Aug 9th 3170 – Visionary of a world without fear or oppression, your dream has come true now. On Yuma’s right was her other uncle, the proud and striking leader of the resistance movement against the Empire. Hikari was stood before his grave with Juruo supporting beside her. The man who had took them in to fight for a better future, who had strengthened them as warriors, lay here now in the shadow of Clear Vice Dragon. Luca had done magnificently to somehow find and move his remains, although he had dodged the questions of where exactly he’d found them. There was no need to upset them with the horrors of the Empire anymore. “You were a great man Vardus. Your methods may have been extreme to some, your exterior might have been tough and cold to many, but your intentions were for the best for us all. You had a cause to help others and did everything to help them in any way you could. You inspired me to fight for what I believed in, no matter how impossible to odds against us were. You did so much for me and Juruo, and especially Mel. Maybe even a little for Sabin too. Your vision for a bright future, for a clear world, has come true now.”

Aerial Skylark – Apr 5th 3153 to Aug 21st 3170 – A spirit that would never be caged, freed to fly forever more. The young rebel’s inclusion had been at Juruo’s request, and he was happy Luca had done his best despite not having as much to go on as he did the others. He had searched the mountainside around Glamis Castle high and low but had never been able to find the boy’s body. But he had found some details to at least carve into the stone. Looking up at the stony face of Simorgh, Bird of Divinity made Juruo think of their last moments together. “Thank you Aerial. If it hadn’t been for your help, I probably wouldn’t be standing here now. You saved us from that castle. You saved some of our lives on more than one occasion. I’m sorry I couldn’t repay the favour. But this place you’re here in now, I know you’d have loved its beauty. Its beauty is yours to watch over forever now.”

Looking in on the scene as a neutral person, on this collection of survivors stood before the graves of lost family, friends, peers and comrades, would be a sombre moment for many - even if they were unaware of the connection between each person stood or buried here. To be a bystander looking at each individual as they stood remembering, respecting, or mourning, could well be tougher for some than others. But passing onto to the individual on the furthest right as they came over the hill behind them, to the younger boy who was visibly shaking as he looked down at the end gravestone through welling eyes, would be the most difficult. As the others stood in solemn silence, Mel stepped forward and knelt at the gravestone before him - before the great stone statue of the three headed ice dragon Trishula - holding onto it for support with one hand, whilst with the other reaching into his shirt and clutching at the pair of necklaces he was wearing.

Erin Kazoku – Feb 11th 3152 to Aug 28th 3170 – The bravest and kindest warrior, who fought to protect us all. Mel knelt there in silence for a while, trying to formulate the right words in his mind. He had had a long time to prepare for this moment, but no amount of preparation compared to actually being here. All the suppressed emotion that had been kept at bay, but seeing his heroine sisters memorial was now about to make erupt. “Hey sis. I’ve been looking forward to coming to see you. There’s so much I want to tell you, so much has happened since I last saw you. I’m attending the new duel academy, and I’ve gotten a lot better at duelling. I’m trying to keep busy doing things, like playing for the football team, and I’m taking guitar lessons so I can start a band with some friends I’ve made. I’ve made a few friends... um..... Juruo’s mom has really looked after me, as well as Juruo and Hikari have helped me and given me all the support I could ask from them... But I guess you already know all that stuff. I know you’re watching over everything I do........”

Mel paused, before the words he wanted to say finally came. “I miss you Erin. Even with everyone else here with me, you were always there for me even during those last few days and you loved me, but I was stupid and threw it back at you. The last time I saw you, I couldn’t understand what you had done. At the time, I thought... I thought I hated you! And I wouldn’t speak to you when you tried to talk to me... I wouldn’t even look at you! But then you went away, and I was reunited with the others, and then I just wanted you back with me. I wanted to apologise, and I wanted you to come back to normal. But I never saw you again. I never got to say I’m sorry. Because I didn’t hate you. I always loved you because you’re my big sis and you did everything for me. For everyone around you. You protected my friends until the end. Nothing else matters, and I’ll always remember my strong big sister, and keep you close with me.”

Exhausted and overwhelmed by his sudden flood of grief, Mel hung his head, and Juruo and Hikari placed an arm around either side of him. Dawn broke over the memorial.

Hope you enjoyed that.

Next week (hopefully) there will be the last three chapters going up, based two years further after this chapter and focusing on some unfinished business for the lead characters. Juruo and Hikari's chapters are finished and ready. Haven't started Sabin's yet, but I do have it vaguely in mind what I'm doing. Should get it done in next two weeks at least.

See you all next week.

Matt

That was a touching aftermath bro. I feel really bad for Luca, but I suppose finishing the memorial would at least give him some closure. Seeing everyone else was good, I didn't expect Sabin to have a kid already (was that the epic moment, or the last sentence .-.).

Looking forward to the other aftermaths.

By the way, might want to check those grave dates.

Or I apparently never realized Gear was 13 and Tyrana was 5 (that would explain a lot though).

That was a touching aftermath bro. I feel really bad for Luca, but I suppose finishing the memorial would at least give him some closure. Seeing everyone else was good, I didn't expect Sabin to have a kid already (was that the epic moment, or the last sentence .-.).

Looking forward to the other aftermaths.

By the way, might want to check those grave dates.

Or I apparently never realized Gear was 13 and Tyrana was 5 (that would explain a lot though).

Dates on Gear and Tyrana's graves fixed. *After much face-desking*

I kinda wanted everyone to have a different emotion at the end, and a different path in the five years previous. Luca has been a bit detatched from society whilst fulfilling his mission, as well as still very depressed. But now he's finished, he'll be alright. Since he was alright at the end in front of the grave it gave me license to let Mel go all out instead (I thought he was entitled to despite his character).

Sabin and Yuma having baby girl (and being married) is supposed to be the aforementioned epic moment. I just had vision of people fist pumping when they read that. Because Sabin is epic.

Erm, uhh... you do know what French kissing is, right? Because unless we're talking about a vastly different society here, that's not something you want your wife to go around doing to other guys, even if they're your best friends.

Yeah, this littleish thing aside, this was very epic. I loved how you went through each of the heroes of the war (leaving Gear aside, who was more of a tragic victim). I'm still sad that you didn't give Aerial a bigger role, but can't have everything. I did feel nice about Sabin and Yuma, but what I especially loved was the closing with Erin. That was really well done. I liked how Yuma returned the cards to them - it was a nice little build-up to what will be probably explored in the following Aftermath chapters.

All-in-all, almost perfect, but that's the problem here - this would've served very well as an epilogue, a finishing touch to the whole story, but since you're gonna bring more to the table, they have to bring at least the same sense of closure that this one did. And it's gonna be hard.

Erm, uhh... you do know what French kissing is, right? Because unless we're talking about a vastly different society here, that's not something you want your wife to go around doing to other guys, even if they're your best friends.

RIGHT, forgot about this.

[spoiler=In case you don't know, Matt...]

It's kissing with tongue.

ALLLLLLL over the place.

When a couple french-kisses, they go AT IT man =w=

I think he meant french kissing as in the french-canadian custom of kissing the person on both cheeks. Not the american custom of playing tonsil hocky.

(At least I really hope that's what he was talking about).

Erm, ok-ay. Dunno where you were all raised but as far as I've been taught french kissing is this; a peck on each cheek. Surely logic alone would suggest Yuma wouldn't ram her tongue down everyones throats.

See this is why I need home broadband to double check these things. *Curses Orange*

So yeah, I'm still waiting, meaning I'm limited to writing and posting, still. Glad you enjoyed the chapter, even though you all pictured what you wanted to picture (but hey, not a bad image).

Update - Home broadband confirmed as being sorted Friday 14th. At long last. So the three aftermath chapters will be up the following week. Hopefully they'll maintain the level of enjoyment.

A Duel Academy... It's YGO so I'll go with it, but I really don't hope another Jaden will pop up.

I was slightly worried about the 'French-kisses', but I see it was just an error. So it's ok.

The part with the Graves... It was soo... Soo... Touching. You could really feel thier pain.

Though I always though that Brionac was Erin's fave card, but ok.

Don't worry Lex, he won't. It was just a device to signify the change in the Empire.

Anyway, I HAVE HOME BROADBAND!!! Meaning I can post whenever I want. And speaking of, here is the first of the three aftermath chapters. Still haven't finished the last one as haven't been motivated, but am writing it now and am maybe a third of the way through it. These chapters are longer than I intended them to be due to trying to work on building up the scenarios that might have been worth two chapters in a story proper, although nowhere near as long as Chapter 66. I'm also looking to get used to duelling at a more intense pace and using proper rules, so please let me know how I did.

[spoiler=Transitional Back Story]

Two years have passed since we last saw the group reunite for the first time, at the memorial built in the Glamis Mountains. Shortly after this Sabin, Yuma and their daughter Melody moved to the capital city, into a small family house a few streets away from Juruo and Hikari. They have since become Melody’s godparents. Hikari is now a full time teacher at the Duel Academy, from which Melanc has finished his regular studies and is now doing an advanced degree, as well as working part time in a card shop. Juruo and Sabin continue to compete in professional duelling events. Raesir and Luca have also got on with their own lives in separate areas of the Empire.

Recently, the city announced that in six months it would be holding the first annual World Duel Championship; a mixed ground and turbo duel tournament being competed in by the best duelists in the world. Juruo and Sabin have started training for this tournament. These chapters focus on events that take place within those six months, which close the book on issues involving the three main characters, and pass the torch to the next adventure (coming January, but more on that later).

[spoiler=Juruo - Forgiveness]

A late spring Sunday in the capital. Juruo and Hikari were enjoying their day off together, walking through one of the central city parks; a green area with daffodils and bluebells in full bloom in the gardens along the edges of the loose pebble paths. These gardens were one of the numerous examples of the capitals rejuvenation since the reign of Nero ended almost seven years ago. Both of them enjoyed these little walks through the city parks together; both for the scenery and each other’s company, although they were not able to visibly display that pleasure as much as they walked side by side, before coming to a park bench and sitting down together, a few inches apart.

“You’re going to get an early start to training for the Championship tomorrow?” Hikari asked.

Juruo nodded. “I’m meeting Sabin about nine-ish. I can still drop you and Mel off first if you want.”

“It’s okay; it’s not a long walk for us.”

Glumly watching her wrap herself up in her coat, Juruo leaned back on the bench and looked out over the park stretched in front of them, watching a fox run out from a bush in front of them and across the path before disappearing down a hill. They had been a couple since the days of Armageddon, living together ever since their return to the city, but they hadn’t been able to move forward as such due to her circumstances, much to both their frustration. Their relationship on an emotional level had grown very much, but when it came to her scarring she still kept to herself a lot. Something Juruo couldn’t help but blame himself for, and wished he could help her with.

Continuing to idly follow the path of the fox that was now bounding across the grass towards a pond at the bottom of the hill, something else came into Juruo’s view. Something that irritated him. On the path running by the pond he could see a young girl; a thin teenager with black hair and glasses, being harassed by some guy with greasy black hair and acne who was pushing her around, looking from here like he was demanding the satchel she was clinging tightly too. “Excuse me a minute” he muttered to Hikari as he stood up and walked towards the top of the hill, activating his duel shield as he went. Slowly making his way down the slope, he picked out one of favourite dragons from the shield, one that would be more than enough to give this guy the fright of his life, and summoned Gae Bulg.

The boy who was harassing the girl for her money stopped in uncertainty as he noticed the shadow that had suddenly overcome both of them. Looking up over her head, his thin face drained of blood as he stared up into the armoured silver helmet and glowing red eyes of the huge dragon that had appeared behind her from nowhere, and the silver plated knight sat on its back and pointing its lance straight at him. He didn’t know where it had come from, but he didn’t want to find out, as the great dragon growled, showing its many teeth. Gibbering some inaudible curse, the boy turned and ran as fast as he could from the girl who looked completely bewildered. Watching him flee with a sense of some amusement, Juruo dismissed Gae Bulg and approached the girl to ask how she was. Before he could get the words out she turned to face him, making him choke on the original “Are you alright?” and without thinking spluttered one word with great difficulty, as he stared into the freckled face and greyish eyes.

“C... Carla?”

The girl blinked in surprise. Now in her late teens, Carla was about average height for her age but very thin, wearing skinny white jeans and a blue T-shirt that depicted the logo of some band. Her long braided pigtails remained the same as they had from all those years ago, when Juruo had last seen her. Her eyes scrunched up behind her glasses, looking Juruo up and down suspiciously.

“Excuse me. How do you know my name?”

Juruo didn’t respond, simply stood there mutely as Carla continued to stare at him. By this time Hikari had seen what was going on and made her way after Juruo, coming to a stop by his side as he stood paralyzed by this girl. She blinked, for she also instantly recognised the girl they had met several years ago. The daughter of a soldier who Juruo had killed during a failed resistance attack on the palace, and having been found by Dravir’s minions who exploited her grief, had tracked them down in a quest for vengeance. She had duelled Juruo, but was defeated and had fallen unconscious afterwards. Erin had taken her to a medical centre nearby, which had been the last time she had seen her. Hikari looked from Juruo to Carla as they continued to stand in silence, before Juruo finally found his voice.

“I’m Juruo, and this is Hikari. We... know your brother... and met you a few years back... er...”

“Oh, you are friends of Dominik?” Carla cut Juruo off. “Now you mention your names, you do seem a little familiar.” A pained expression suddenly overcame her, as she rubbed her temples trying to think. “No, sorry, I don’t remember you. I think that I should, that you do seem familiar, but I can’t place you.”

Juruo swallowed. “You don’t... remember me...?”

Carla shook her head. “No, I don’t. You see; I suffer from amnesia, which has erased parts of my life from my past. There are a few great black holes in my memory which I can’t access. If you say you have met me and I don’t know you, I guess you’d be a part in one of those black holes.”

“Carla, these black holes. Have you tried to recover your memory?” Hikari asked nervously.

“A few times. Dominik has been trying to help me recover my memory and find out what caused my amnesia, but he hasn’t discovered anything. It’s really hard sometimes, especially for him to raise me on his own, but I’ve learned over the years not to get too down on unknowns and look forward... I’m sorry, I’d love to chat, but I have to go now. I have to visit my dad.”

“Your dad?” Juruo somehow kept pokerfaced and held back the welling feelings.

“Yeah, I visit his grave every other Sunday. He was a soldier in the army, and was killed in combat when I was young. Something else I don’t really remember. As much as I try to look forward, it’s important to me that I pay my respects too.” Carla took off her glasses to give them a wipe, before replacing them and turning to leave. “Thanks for your help with that guy Juruo. It’s nice seeing good guys like you sticking up for people. No wonder you’re friends with my brother. Maybe we can meet up and see each other soon, and you can tell me more about how we met.”

With that Carla walked away, leaving a staggered Juruo and Hikari in her wake.

Later that night, and Juruo and Hikari were lying awake together. Emily and Melanc had been fast asleep in their rooms for an hour or so now, but both of the pairs occupied minds were keeping them up. Propping himself onto his side, Juruo turned to his partner, his voice oddly hollow.

“It’s been so long since that day we met Carla. I can’t believe she still hasn’t got her memory back after this much time. After everything else that happened then I forgot about what I did to her, and to Dominik. Seeing her today, unable to remember, not knowing what happened, it bought back a lot of hurt.”

“So what do you want to do about it?”

“I don’t know. I mean seeing her today, she was obviously distressed by the holes in her memory, and she and Dom don’t deserve to be denied the answers they seek. Part of me thinks that I have to tell them the truth of what I’ve done to them. But if I tell her, how could it affect her? She’s rebuilt her life now; the truth might destroy everything for her. She thought I was some kind of hero for scaring off that guy, but what if I told her that I killed her dad, and her amnesia came about after duelling me? It could be better that she doesn’t know what happened.”

“Juruo, what happened wasn’t your fault. The amnesia is probably Fygmorke’s doing; something to do with his cards influence over her maybe. As for her father, you did what you had to. You need to forgive yourself for that, before you can get anyone else’s. I’m sure Dominik would understand having been a soldier. Why don’t you talk to him first? You’ll be able to get it all out in the open, and then he can decide what’s best for Carla.”

“Yeah, that’s a good idea. Thanks Hikari... You’re amazing you know?”

Hikari smiled as Juruo held her hand for support, but it was a fragile one. Previously Hikari’s scarring had meant that Juruo could only really touch her hands or face without causing her discomfort. But recently even that much contact seemed to make her distressed. Juruo worried that her scarring was causing her more pain, but every time he asked her about it she was very quiet about it. “I’ll always stand by your side. Whatever faces us, we will face it together.”

Hikari nodded, and slowly dozed off. It was another hour before Juruo fell asleep.

Trying to be as quiet as possible, Dominik crept in through the back door of his house in the city centre. He had been working late... again... and was trying not to disturb his sister by coming home at this time. Dropping his bag off on the kitchen table that was covered in his papers, the city’s head of security and now an organiser for the upcoming World Duel Championship - the biggest duelling event since duelling had been re-legalised - made himself a drink and went to relax in front of the TV a little before bed.

He needn’t have bothered being quiet. Carla was sat in the living room on a sofa covered in junk, eating a bowl of cereal and watching some nature documentary on TV. She looked up as Dominik entered, before returning to her show. “Busy day?”

“As per” he replied exhausted, collapsing himself into a comfy armchair opposite her. “How about you?”

“My day was strange” she said, frowning and stabbing at her cereal aimlessly. “When I was on my way to visit dad, I met two people who I thought I recognised. They said they knew me, as well as being your friends, but I couldn’t place them. Hikari and Juruo?” Dominik raised an eyebrow as Carla mentioned those names. “Now it’s been bugging me all day. I know Juruo from... somewhere... I think it’s something important... but I just don’t remember.”

“Don’t stress yourself” Dominik tried to reassure his sister as once again she strained against the black gaps in her memory. Ever since he had been reunited with Carla seven years ago and discovered she suffered from this strange memory loss he had sworn he would get to the bottom of it, but had never managed to get very far. The people at the medical centre she had been found at said she had just been dropped off on their doorstep in the night, on her own, and no-one seemed to know anything of why or how she had left the city in the first place. He could only guess it might have something to do with their father’s death the day before, some reaction to the grief, but suddenly after so long he had a new lead. All this had happened around that crazy time which Juruo and Hikari had been at the centre of. Perhaps they knew something that would help discover the truth. For both their sakes. “Thanks for telling me that. I’m going to help you recover Carla.”

Reassured, Carla finished watching her show and went to bed when it ended. At this point Dominik got on the phone to the night staff at the government offices. “Hello Ryo? In the morning, could you get my secretary to organise a meeting between me and Juruo Daisuke sometime tomorrow please?” There was a long pause as Ryo relayed a message back, one that surprised Dominik.

“What do you mean he’s already rung in and had one made?”

The next night, at the all new city duel stadium. It was raining. The steady thudding beat on the plastic seats and metal roofing irritated Dominik as he sat on his runner – the same sleek black model he had used during his brief vigilante days – in one of the pit bays on the edge of the oval track. The location was his choice. Being in those offices all day got to him. After a long day he wanted to get away from all that and break free, and the best way to do that was a few laps around this purpose built sixty thousand capacity stadium, with an oval track surrounding two standing arenas to which he had access to when-ever he needed. Shame about the weather though, as he was forced to wipe his helmet visor again.

The rumble of the second runner rolling in behind him was a sound to stir the soul. Dominik couldn’t help but grin as he turned to face Juruo who was parking just under the covering behind him, removing his helmet whilst remaining seated. Wow he looked unhappy. Perhaps burdened. The two hadn’t seen much of each in the last seven years as Juruo had wanted to try and live as ordinary life as possible now, which was understandable. Dominik walked over and shook Juruo’s hand. The gesture was accepted half-heartedly.

“Well I’ll take from that you want to get straight to the point?” Dominik asked, to which Juruo nodded mutely. “Alright then. I wanted to meet you because of something my sister Carla said to me yesterday. That she met you in town and thought she recognised you; that you might be a part of some missing memories of hers. Gaps in her memories from seven years ago, when all that stuff happened, that we haven’t been able to work out since. I want to re-investigate what happened to her, and I’d like you to help if you can, since you seem to have been at the centre of a lot of events that happened then. I hope you’ll accept my need for help. I’m sure with us two working together as a team I can finally...”

“Dom, stop. Please stop.” The interruption stunned Dominik. Juruo’s voice was hollow as he sat with his head bowed slightly. An appearance he wasn’t used to in the guy. “There’s no need to investigate. I can tell you everything that happened to Carla.” That statement stunned him further.

“Really? You can?” He wasn’t sure whether he should be excited he would finally get the answers, or giving into the down-ness of Juruo’s suspicious mood. Caught between the two, Dominik shuffled on the spot. “Well, okay. Please tell me everything you know about what happened.”

There was a long, uncomfortable pause, broken only by the steady rainfall, as Juruo shuffled in his seat. “I met Carla in the country south of the city a day after fleeing here, before the days of Armageddon. The day after a failed attack on the palace by the original resistance meant to try and assassinate Nero... in which your father died. At the time she was a little girl stricken with grief at losing her only remaining parent and family, what with you stationed far away at the time, and was lost in a world turned upside down. She was frightened. Angry. Some people tried to use that to their advantage.”

“People...? You mean Fygmorke’s lot?” Dom blurted. Juruo and Hikari had told him everything that had happened, explaining everything Fygmorke had done and clearing Dravir’s name to an extent. “What do you mean use her? What for? And how did she even catch up with you to meet you?”

“One of Fygmorke’s followers found her, and influenced her. They told her what had happened to her father, and said they could help her get those responsible. They bought her along with them as they chased after us, and used her as weapon. One designed to take me out. Myself and Carla had a duel, which I only narrowly won. She blacked out afterwards, so we took her to a medical centre to be treated. It was only afterwards that we discovered Fygmorke planted his Infernity cards in the decks of those who served him, I can only guess that had something to do with her memory loss. I saw her once in your HQ a few days before the end of Armageddon, and not again until yesterday.”

This was already a lot to take in. The stream of bombshells was difficult for Dominik to take, try as he might, as he stood there with his hands running through his hair and shaking. “My sister was used? A little kid? Those bastards! I’ll... No wait; that makes no sense. Why would she be used as a weapon specifically against you? You’ve got... no... connection...... Unless..........”

Realisation can be very cruel. Something that Juruo confirmed with a weak nod, one that felt like a hammer blow. His voice was shaky, but it echoed around Dominik’s mind like a knell.

“Yes Dom. It was me. I’m really sorry.”

The silence was dreadful. Juruo just sat there, waiting for Dominik to react. Dominik stood frozen in shock, with his hands pulling at his spiky hair and mouth hanging slightly open, panting like he’d run a marathon, the words going round and round. After a few minutes, he managed to drag himself into moving, slowly staggering to his parked runner, which he flopped into the seat of and leaned across the front. Nervously Juruo rolled up alongside him. Dom wasn’t crying, just numb. “Dom, I understand that you probably want to kill me right now...” He was cut off by the shake of the head.

“...I was a soldier. So was my father, and so were you. We all know what happens in war. None of us wanted to be there; just following orders forced on us and doing what we could to survive. It’s Nero and Fygmorke’s fault for putting us all in that situation to begin with. As for what happened after, you beating Carla probably actually saved her from their control. I’m a bit pissed off you’ve sat on this for seven years without telling us, because they’ve been hard on us both to cope with...” With a groan Dominik leaned back and stared at Juruo, who waited for the backlash. Surely there had to be a backlash. Surely Dom would use his position to punish him, at the very least hit him. He had caused him and Carla so much grief that could surely have been avoided. He should have done better, and now, finally, he was going to pay for it. His conscious would be clear...

“Well, so much happened for everyone then. I can tell its hurt you too. Guess all that’s left to do now is tell it all again to the person who needs to hear it most.”

“What... that’s it?” Juruo couldn’t believe it. Dominik was sat back upright and starting up his duel runner. He wasn’t angry or upset. He hadn’t even shouted at him! He’d been forgiven so easily for his selfish actions, just like that, again? No, he couldn’t be let off that easy. Dominik had to punish properly. It was then a horrible idea came into his mind, that in grabbed without thinking.

“No.”

Dominik turned slowly in his seat, looking at Juruo as if he’d sworn something foul. “Excuse me?”

Committed to his stupid plan, Juruo plunged on. “I... can’t do it again. I can’t make her go through it all again. She seemed okay yesterday, she’s rebuilt herself. I can’t bring her world crashing down again. It’s probably better that she doesn’t know.”

“Juruo, do you really think I’m going to let you walk away now?” Dominik’s voice was menacing now as he stared thunderously at Juruo, who was nervously fiddling with his helmet. “You want me to go home, to my sister, knowing all this, and then not tell her? Now grow a spine and come with me...”

Before Dominik could get another word out, Juruo had revved his engine and shot out from the shelter; out of the pit lane and onto the track. Dominik was stunned for a second, before without thinking, and swearing like hell, he forced on his own helmet and set about chasing him.

‘I’m sorry Dominik, but I can’t let you and Carla forgive me this easily, not for what I did. People keep telling me it wasn’t my fault; that I did everything I could have, but I can’t accept that. It’s selfish, but I need to be punished properly. I need you to beat me. But I can’t duel half-heartedly like I did against Carla. That would prove nothing. We have to both bring it full force, with everything. Hopefully justice will finally be done in some small way, and you’ll beat me.’

The force of Dom’s runner slamming into the side of his interrupted his train of self pity. As the all black rider pulled alongside, he forced Juruo sideways, closer to the wall whilst all the moment staring right into his face through the gold screen that masked his own, closer still to the wall, shaking his head in disgust at him, closer even still to the concrete wall... just long enough to make Juruo panic for a moment that he had pushed him too far until he finally pushed past, drawing his cards on his way.

“Duel!”

“I expected better from you Juruo. I guess you’re not the hero you’re made out to be after all” Dominik shouted over the rain as he pulled out his sixth card. “I’ll make you kneel and beg for Carla to forgive you, right after my allies tear apart your precious dragons. I summon Tech Genus Rush Rhino." They’d never seen each other duel, but they had both heard from mutual allies about how the other fought. Juruo knew the armoured rhino was only the start of Dominik’s aggressive Synchro strategy (ATK: 1600).

“Next, by lowering Rhino’s attack by one thousand, I can summon the tuner monster Tech Genus Gear Zombie to the field. Then I’ll have it tune with Rush Rhino to Synchro summon Tech Genus Power Gladiator!” The leather clad axe wielder appeared between them as Dominik increased the gap, speeding ahead on his more powerful runner (ATK: 2300). “I’ll end my turn with two face down cards.” As Juruo entered his standby phase, both duelists gained their first speed counter (sp 1).

“Alright, my turn. I summon Dragunity Aklys in attack mode.” On Juruo’s inside appeared the slender red dragon in silver armour, carrying that enormous spike, flying level with him (ATK: 1000). Since the reintroduction of duelling, cards had been a lot easier to access, allowing Juruo to restructure his deck with more powerful cards. But some cards remained dear to his heart. Especially the one that had been top of his deck when he drawn his opening hand, and kept catching his eye. He shrugged it off for now.

“Now Aklys activates its effect, summoning another Dragunity from my hand and equipping itself to it. Dragunity Militum. Then I’ll use her effect to separate them again, allowing me to Synchro summon.” The winged swordswoman appeared briefly, before she and the dragon were engulfed in emerald light. “Take to the sky, Dragunity Knight Vajrayana!”

Dominik didn’t react as the mighty amber plated serpent descended from the black clouds overhead, allowing Juruo to press on (ATK: 1900). “Now when summoned, Vajrayana equips himself with Aklys from my graveyard. But he won’t be around for very long because by sending him back to the great beyond, my knights’ attack is doubled. This also kicks in Aklys’ second effect; destroying the right hand face down.” In his confused state, seeing the likes of Dimensional Prison exploding disappointed Juruo, but he pressed on. Hopefully the other card would do something. “Vajrayana, attack!”

The dragon roared and charged towards the warrior, and still there was no visible reaction (ATK: 3800). Not until the axe wielder exploded as the knight’s lance speared through him, causing Dominik to lurch forward with a grunt (LP: 2500). “When my Synchro monster is destroyed, I get to draw a card. Also at this time, I can special summon Tech Genus Metal Skeleton from my hand.”

The appearance of the silver coated creature surprised Juruo, who had been anticipating a trap for half of his turn (ATK: 1100). “I place two cards face down and end my turn, at which point Vajrayana’s attack returns to normal. Your move.”

[spoiler=Summary - Round 1]

Dominik (sp: 1): Front Row: Metal Skeleton. Back Row: Face Down. Hand: 2 LP: 2500

Juruo (sp: 1): Front Row: Vajrayana. Back Row: Face Down x2. Hand: 2 LP: 4000

Taking the curve at speed to start another lap, uneasiness crept over Dominik as he drew his card. ‘What the hell are you playing at Juruo? First you admit everything to me, but then you chicken out of telling Carla? How did you expect me to react to that, or you attempting to duel your way out? I don’t know what you’re doing, but I’m going to stop it and make you face up to what you have to do.’ “It’s my turn. I summon the tuner monster Tech Genus Jet Falcon. Then I’ll immediately tune it with Metal Skeleton, which activates its effect and hits you for five hundred points of damage.” Somewhere behind him he could hear Juruo cringe with the drop of points (LP: 3500) whilst above him the world burst into stars. “Come forth, Tech Genus Wonder Magician.”

Juruo blinked at the little pink haired fairy that was smiling at him as it flew backwards after Dominik on its little wings, looking a lot less threatening than everything else he had summoned (ATK: 1900). Ahead of him, Dominik somehow managed to spin his runner round, enabling him to face his opponent directly like his fairy and riding backwards just as naturally, and fast, as he did going forwards. “Now when my magician is summoned, one spell or trap on the field is destroyed.”

Juruo shook himself as his ever reliable Negate Attack, set to protect Vajrayana, disappeared in a blast of pink lightening. “No matter, our monsters are tied in attack anyway.”

“Not after I use the speed spell Speed Energy they won’t be” Dominik cried, still seething under his visor. “Now Wonder Magician gains two points of attack for each speed counter I have. Currently I have two. Well you’re a smart boy Juruo you do the maths. Blast away (ATK: 2300).”

Vajrayana’s dying scream pierced Juruo more than the damage did, as the pink lightening coursed through the dragons body and bought it crashing down to earth before he zoomed past (LP: 3100). They had gone all out with the effects in this stadium, but Juruo knew now after his journey that it wasn’t just a light show. Dominik knew that too, and he wasn’t finished.

“When a Tech Genus monster destroys your monster, I can activate the trap TG-SX1. This brings back my trusty Power Gladiator from the dead in the middle of my battle phase, so now he can get himself a little payback.” Juruo gulped as the hide wearing warrior returned, axe held high over his head as he lunged at the front of his engine. After all his experiences Juruo forgot that damage was no longer ‘real’, simulated in this arena only by small shocks, but he still swerved to avoid the blade slicing through his engine. Something that slowed him a lot and caused Dominik to, unsmiling, scowl under his helmet (LP: 800). “You’re on the limiter now Juruo.”

“I activate the trap card Damage Condenser. By discarding one card, I can summon any monster from my deck whose attack is within the damage I took. I summon Dragunity Primus, and use his effect to bring out Dragunity Phalanx with him.”

“Interesting combination. I place one card face down and end my turn.”

“Then I draw” Juruo drew his card in a wide arc, and blinked at what he had got. The second one of those cards? Why now? Well whatever the case he couldn’t use it quite yet, so he added it to his hand and chose another one. “I activate the speed spell Angel Baton; drawing two cards from my deck and then ditching one.” He did the same again, and physically recoiled at the result. The third one as well?

‘The cards I’ve drawn, they’re all... Is this a sign; being given to me because what I’m doing is the right thing? That it’s the wrong thing? What do they want me to do?’ Juruo paused for a long moment, not realising Dominik was staring back at him as he waited, the sounds of his engine and the rain muted, the sight of the stadium a blurry haze until he decided. ‘I place my trust in them, and will let them guide me.’

“I discard one card for the effect on Angel Baton. Next I summon the tuner monster Black Salvo.” From the portal on his left emerged a small black bomb, with sharps and a wicked grin (ATK: 100), flying on Juruo’s other side to the regal Dragunity leader and the bronze plated dragon he was riding. A key part of Juruo’s new Cyber-Unity deck. “Now when Black Salvo is summoned, he drags back one dark machine type monster from my graveyard. The discarded Cyberdark Edge rises. Next I’ll activate the effect of Dragunity Phalanx; un-equipping himself from Primus.” As Juruo’s ranks grew, Dominik spun his runner back the right way and revved, waiting for his move. His new move. Juruo raised his hand as Phalanx and Edge rose together and burst into stars, ones that glowed with every colour of the rainbow. “Synchro summon. Come forth my newest beast. The grand, the golden, the Orient Dragon!”

Above Juruo emerged a majestic creature, a traditional dragon of the eastern cultures with shining golden scales. His feathery wings changed from green to blue to purple as they spread out, as were the mane that covered its neck with additional reds and yellows. The dragon screeched in ferocity (ATK: 2300). “Now Orient Dragon’s effect activates, targeting your Power Gladiator Synchro monster and removing it from play.”

Ahead of Juruo, Dominik smirked under his helmet. “That’s what you think. I Accel Synchro!”

“Say what!?” Juruo blurted. He got no verbal answer. Instead he could only watch as Dominik shot away, tearing ahead at such incredible speed his runner seemed to turn white hot from the light surrounding it, whilst his following monsters disappeared in similar radiance. Seconds later he had completed the lap and was behind him, slowing to a steady tracking pace, whilst flying beside him was something else. A tall warrior encased in a green and amber armoured suit, carrying a long electromagnetically charged weapon (ATK: 3300). “Where the hell did that thing come from?”

“That ‘thing’ is Tech Genus Blade Blaster to you. See Wonder Magician is what’s known as a Synchro Tuner monster, and I’m allowed to use it to Synchro summon during your turn. So now your little dragon has missed his target.”

‘Well this might be a problem’ Juruo thought, glancing nervously behind him. “I activate Crown of the Empress from my hand. I can do this when you Synchro summon in order to draw two cards.” Problem mercifully solved. “I tune Primus and Black Salvo to Synchro summon an old friend of mine. Rise again and grace the world with power from beyond this one. Stardust Dragon.” He’d summoned her a few times in practise duels since their reunion, but he could never get enough of this feeling, of the great silver dragon streaking overhead, screaming defiantly (ATK: 2500). “Next I activate the spell card Half Seize. This halves the attack of your monster, and then transfers that amount to my life points.”

Dominik swore at his empty hand, powerless to stop this from happening (ATK: 1650). Ahead of him Stardust turned, unleashing her white hot fire upon his Blade Blaster. His growing frustration intensified the shock of the life loss (LP: 1650). “When Blade Blaster is destroyed, I can draw one card. Then also, both Wonder Magician and Power Gladiator are summoned from the grave.”

“Orient Dragon, destroy Wonder Magician!” Flames that shimmered with multiple shades of colours spat forth from the maw of the golden dragon, destroying the little fairy with little more than a shriek of pain from it, and an increasingly angered growl from Dom (LP: 1250).

“Wonder Magician gives me another card. Then I activate the trap card Shadow Impulse. When a Synchro monster is destroyed, this lets me summon another one from my deck that has an equal level, but its attack becomes zero and its effects are negated. Burst forward Tech Genus Hyper Librarian.”

Juruo looked at his last card. A situational one that didn’t help terribly. “I end my turn."

[spoiler=Summary - Round 2]

Dominik (sp: 3): Front Row: Power Gladiator, Hyper Librarian. Back Row: - Hand: 2 LP: 1250

Juruo (sp: 3): Front Row: Stardust Dragon, Orient Dragon. Back Row: - Hand: 1 LP: 2450

Dominik glanced down at his refreshed hand, before slowly placing his to his deck. His breathing slowed down with his movements. ‘This has gone on long enough now, long enough for me to achieve my speed. You’ve duelled well, but whatever you were trying to achieve with this, I’m one card away from making sure you fail. All I need is one level one monster. Any level one monster, and you have nothing that can stop what will happen. I know my deck will provide what I need to destroy you. To make things right after so long. This is for you Carla’. “Draw!” Juruo waited as Dominik brandished his card, holding it out as he followed him down the straight, then around the corner. A bead of sweat trickled down his brow unnoticed. Eventually Dominik tipped his card to see what he’d got... and scowled irritably.

“I switch Librarian to defence mode (DEF: 1800). Then one card face down. Turn end.”

“Here I go then.” Juruo drew his card, cast it a quick glance, before turning to the assault. “Stardust Dragon, destroy Power Gladiator.”

“I activate the trap card Half or Nothing” shouted Dominik. “Now you can either choose to halve the attack of all your monsters, or end the battle phase now and be done with it.”

“Damn, alright I call it off” Juruo shouted back. The wind was picking up, and thunder was beginning to rumble ominously far away. He turned to his remaining cards. Two traps, both situational, but maybe. Just maybe, looking at the one he’d drawn, something told him this could be the answer. “Two face downs. Your turn.”

[spoiler=Summary - Round 3]

Dominik (sp: 5): Front Row: Power Gladiator, Hyper Librarian. Back Row: - Hand: 2 LP: 1250

Juruo (sp: 5): Front Row: Stardust Dragon, Orient Dragon. Back Row: - Hand: 1 LP: 2450

Entering the home straight, Dominik pulled out his card. This time he smiled. This time he had got what he needed. This time Juruo would be held to pay before Carla. So what that he had put two cards face down? Nothing was going to stop this. Nothing was going to stop him and his monsters exposing the truth, and setting things right. Slowly he increased his speed, and closed the gap between them little by little. “I summon Tech Genus Cyber Magician.” Between the two monsters appeared a small boy dressed in wizarding robes (ATK: 0). “Now when I use this tuner monster to Synchro summon, I can use it with monsters in my hand. So I tune Cyber Magician with Synchro Soldier to summon the Synchro Tuner monster Formula Synchron.”

“Twelve levels worth of Synchro monsters, and a tuner?” Juruo couldn’t stop himself thinking aloud as what was happening dawned on him. “This is going to be big.”

“Oh yeah, it’ll be big. And very bad for the health of you and your dragons” Dominik called back. His voice was still fighting to restrain his anger, as he pulled closer behind Juruo. “First Formula lets me draw a card. Then I’ll tune him with Hyper Librarian and Power Gladiator to Synchro summon my strongest ally. The bringer of a new age and defender of the weak, Tech Genus Halberd Cannon!”

Another warrior appeared high above, this one wearing black and gold armour and carrying a spear, along with even more attack points (ATK: 4000). However this time Juruo was ready. He hoped.

“I activate the trap card Tuner Capture. When you Synchro summon, I can activate this to summon the tuner monster you used. So I’ll be taking Formula Synchron.” Juruo paid the card offered to him by Formula no attention, instead reaching to his extra deck for that card. The blank card Yuma had given him two years. He had no idea why, just some sort of instinct or belief or something, but he took the blank card and held it high. “Now since I control a Synchro Tuner, I think I’ll take it for a spin.”

“No way...” Dominik started with a twitch. “No, it doesn’t matter what you summon!”

“We’ll see. I Accel Synchro!” All his previous doubting and pity had gone in an instant, as Juruo let the something inside him take over, flood through his body and floored it. Before he could blink, he couldn’t blink, half the track separated him and Dominik as the stadium went backwards in a kaleidoscope of colour. Rushing filled his ears, wind battered his face and pushed against him as he fought to hold on to his runner, and the blank card that now bore a picture and a name. Above him Stardust Dragon and Formula Synchron vanished, along with - without him realising - every doubt holding him back. “Whatever happens; I must fight with everything and push to the limit. I summon Shooting Star Dragon!”

As his opponent came up behind him, Dominik could only stare up in awe at the beast that had emerged. A glistening silver dragon, much bigger and bulkier than Stardust, glided overhead. Every part of its body shimmered, enhanced by the rain, the drops of water spraying with a great beat of its long wings. The dragon tipped back its thick neck. The roar was deafening (ATK: 3300).

Dominik almost forgot himself, but regained composure just in time. “Halberd Cannon’s effect activates, negating the summon of a monster and destroying it. Told you it didn’t matter.”

“I activate the trap card Skill Shock” Juruo countered without thinking. “Now by releasing Orient Dragon, the effect of your monster is negated.”

“Fine, I’ll just defeat it by battle then. Your beast might be impressive, but against Halberd Cannon it’s nothing. Stop running away Juruo, you are going to admit what happened.”

“I’m not running. I never was.” Dominik blinked as Juruo shouted back at him, his voice was stronger now. He was pulling alongside him now, gaining slowly level with him. “Now Shooting Star Dragon’s effect activates. By removing itself from play, your attack is negated.”

“Halberd Cannon’s second effect.” Frantically lost in the duel, Dominik responded in kind. The two duelists hit the straight almost next and neck. “When a monster uses an effect that removes a card from the field, he can negate that effect. Then the monster loses eight hundred attack. This duel is over.” The armoured warrior lunged at the static dragon, aiming its spear at its chest. Desperately Juruo reached for one last card. There was a flash of light, blinding them both, followed by a scream of horrific pain.

With a screech of brakes, the black runner stopped first, swerving back and forth then to rest within a few metres. The green one took a longer distance and had to come back on itself, rolling to a steady stop. Both duelists flicked up their visors in sync. Both were panting, both were sweaty, both were physically and mentally drained. Halberd Cannon floated above Dominik in silence. Above Juruo, Shooting Star hovered in midair on a powerful wingbeat.

“When... did you... get Necro Gardna?” Dominik panted.

“It’s... not mine” Juruo replied. Groaning in frustration, Dominik slammed his fists onto his dashboard.

“Why? Why won’t you tell her? Why won’t you help her you bastard?”

“I’m sorry Dominik. I... couldn’t take forgiveness from you or Carla because I was still beating myself up for what I did. I didn’t expect you to take it like you did. I was so shocked, I thought you should be angry with me, that I’d make you unlock the anger I thought you had to be suppressing against me. I wanted you to beat me to make up for the distress I caused you. I was stupid. Of course I’ll come with you and tell Carla the truth, if that’s what you think is best.”

“What?!” Dom started in disbelief. “You mean we duelled just because you thought it would be therapeutic for us?” Juruo nodded, much to his annoyance.

“It was selfish of me. But I think... it did do us both good, in some crazy way. I don’t know if you feel the same right now, but maybe you learned something. I know I did.” Dom was giving him that murderous look again, making him gulp unsteadily. “Besides, you must admit that was pretty full on.”

Dom shrugged. “Yeah... I guess so.” His demeanour steadily settled. “So who would have won?”

“Well...” Juruo drew his card. “I’ve got Silver Contrails and Top Runner in my hand, which would have put Shooting Star Dragon’s attack above your monsters. Then I could have activated another of his effects; revealing the top five cards of my deck, and giving him one attack for each tuner monster revealed.” Juruo reached for his deck again, but Dominik held his hand up to stop him.

“So, to have won you’d have needed five attacks, since you’d have had to go through Halberd, Buster Blader, Wonder Magician and Gladiator to get to me. And each time you’d have destroyed my monster, I’d have drawn a card, giving me four chances at getting Battle Fader in hand to stop the fifth direct attack, then burn you using Speed World 2's effect. So... leave it there?” Juruo paused, then smiled for the first time that night, as the two sat on their runners, in the middle of the duel stadium, in the rain, in the shadow of their ultimate monsters.

After leaving the stadium, Juruo followed Dominik to his home in the city to where Carla was waiting. Together they revealed everything that had happened, filling the gaps in her memory. She was shocked, and cried a little, but as her subconsciously suppressed memories released themselves and came back to her, she slowly accepted what she was told. Like her brother, she forgave Juruo once the shock subsided. When she hugged him he felt sick with guilt, but thinking back to his duel against Dominik, he remembered how his friend’s cards - representing those who had given them to him - had come to his aid, just like they had so many times before. Not in the sense of needing to win the duel, that didn’t matter, but they had shown him that he had all their support, through every hardship.

[spoiler=Notes]Note - Yes I know a monster affected by Skill Shock can't attack, but then we wouldn't have had that plot device would we?

So yeah, feedback appreciated as ever. Hikari's chapter is finished and should be up on Wednesday if I have time. Sabin's over the weekend.[/center][/center]

I gues I'm first then?

Anywho. So it'll be something like GX. Where Yugi gives over the torch (Winged Kuriboh) to Jaden.

Tbh, I've never heard of Orient Dragon before this duel.

Lol, SSD vs T.G.Halberd Cannon. I wonder where you got that from.

Anywho it was a good chapter, good for Dom, Carla and Jurou to finally have closure.

I guess I'm second then?

That was a good read. I actually forgot about Carla for a bit there, but settling this old issue was fun to see.

I liked the duel through and through, it was the easiest for me to visualize in a while and I liked the ending.

...though I still don't get who would have won.

Good stuff, looking forward to the last two.

I gues I'm first then?

Anywho. So it'll be something like GX. Where Yugi gives over the torch (Winged Kuriboh) to Jaden.

Tbh, I've never heard of Orient Dragon before this duel.

Lol, SSD vs T.G.Halberd Cannon. I wonder where you got that from.

Anywho it was a good chapter, good for Dom, Carla and Jurou to finally have closure.

I can neither confirm nor deny how much of an obvious 'baton-pass' there will be.

I can also swear that I have not yet seen the last 20 episodes of 5D's and thus that duel, although I did realise from Halberd's effect it was going to probably be very similar. Got a weeks holiday next week and will watch the subbed proper end of 5D's then.

That was the idea. I was kind of struggling on how to go about it, but I desperately wanted seeing as it was, to be honest, one of the weakest or indeed wasted storylines of Armageddon. And getting practise in with turbo duels at pace, don't think Juruo ever got four Synchro's in one duel over his travels, even in the long duels, which was pants on my part.

I guess I'm second then?

That was a good read. I actually forgot about Carla for a bit there, but settling this old issue was fun to see.

I liked the duel through and through, it was the easiest for me to visualize in a while and I liked the ending.

...though I still don't get who would have won.

Good stuff, looking forward to the last two.

Ending was unresolved (ala Yusei vs Sherry for example). Both duelists were going to be asking a lot of their decks to get what they needed, and the odds were probably in Dominik's favour at that point (if we don't take lead characters luck into consideration).

Originally Juruo was supposed to win next turn, but I thought what would that prove? It would be a hollow victory.

Happy with the responses so far, as out of the 2 (and a half) of these chapters I've written so far, I thought this one was definately the weakest. We'll see.

Okay, moving on after not much feedback.

Hikari's final chapter. This one has a lot less direct, more additionally flavoured build up than the direct approach in Juruo's, I wonder which is preferred. It might be too long winded in places, I don't know (hint, comment, hint). I also wrote a lot of it to the tune of Avril Lavigne's 'Under My Skin' album, just set the tone a lot.

It hasn't escaped my attention that people often commented on Hikari being in the better duels (Hikari vs Erin; Hikari vs Urusula; Dark Hikari vs Juruo/Sabin in a Gauntlet Match). No doubt using two of the games fastest archtypes helps, especially compared to the duel I'm trying to put together Sabin and his flipping Allies (not that I regret that choice). Well this chapter, and the duel here, is just plain weird.

Intrigued yet?

[spoiler=Hikari - Loneliness]

A light smattering of falling snow drifted down onto Hikari as she drove across the endless northern tundra towards the mountain looming in the distance. Each perfect crystal of frozen water kissed her cheeks as she allowed herself to incline her gaze up the length of the enormous peak, seeping under the visor of her helmet before melting softly against her skin and trickling down her neck, under her riding leathers, with a pleasant cooling sensation. Hikari had experienced a few snowy winters before, but the occasional white Christmas was nothing compared to being here, three days drive into the northern most reaches of the Empire and beyond, where this light snowfall was fair weather compared to what it was usually like up here. Here it was just her and her duel runner, a small but compact model white in colour with gold streaks across the body frame that she had bought from her wages a year ago (her full riding gear bore an identical scheme), and she was on a mission that she could only accomplish alone.

It had all started with something Yuma had said. The girls were close even when they first met, but since Yuma and Sabin had moved to the city they were almost inseparable. They would do all the things young women did, as well as looking after Melody together. She was four now, and was in the stage where everything was mysterious and a great adventure, asking questions and getting into mischief, although she was never difficult or sulky. Hikari was now her godmother, and loved spending time with the little girl. It was during one of their playtimes that this had all come about...

Hikari blinked suddenly as she became aware that her vision had faded slightly without realising it. Shaking herself, it hit her that the mountain was a lot closer now and much much larger, tall enough to pierce the thick blanket of cloud cover that blocked out the sun. Hopefully she didn’t have to go up there. Coming into view at the base of this mountain was her destination, a village only a few minutes away. Hikari eased up her motor as she approached the village as she imagined the locals would not appreciate an outsider storming through their quiet home at top speed. This place she found herself driving into was the very definition of the picturesque winter village that people dream off. Large log cabins with smoking chimneys producing from snow covered roofs littered around in no order whatsoever. Despite the time being mid afternoon the street lamps were on, illuminating the paths with a warm glow. Fir trees intertwined amongst the houses naturally. Under the watchful gaze of an old woman in a thick winter coat two children in woollen jumpers and hats were laughing and building a snowman outside their porch as Hikari passed one home. This made her smile, and earned her a stern scowl from the old hag, so she moved on.

Turning the corner she passed a welcoming inn, that peering into served a merry crowd. Quickly she decided she stood a good chance of getting the information she needed here. Parking the runner, Hikari stepped onto the porch and unbuckled her helmet, letting her shake out her long brown hair before going inside. As she opened the door, she happened to look down and notice a husky sat on the porch watching her, not leashed to anything, but sat there waiting just the same. The dog was panting, and looking up at her with those sad green doggy eyes that show its friendly and wants some attention, whining to reinforce as such. Hikari stared at the dog with the door held half open for a minute, before she swallowed, and went inside.

Not best pleased that someone had just stood there letting the cold in for a minute, several angry faces glared at the stranger as she finally entered. It hadn’t helped that one of those people had been the barman, a large man with a thick white moustache, chubby cheeks and dressed in bear skins, who had been interrupted in the middle of serving two equally broad shouldered men who had found the interruption most offensive. Ignoring the following eyes and discontented muttering, Hikari glided across the pub and sat herself down on a stool at the bar, resting her chin on her interlocked fingers and waiting for them to get back to whatever drinking and banter they had been indulged in. Thankfully that didn’t take too long. The pub returned to its merry state, although unquestionably subdued by the presence of this alluring stranger in their midst, and when the barman had finished with the two burly gentlemen he waddled along to where she was sat.

“What’s your game girl?” he demanded indignantly, his flabby cheeks wobbling as he spoke. “The cold gets at my old bones enough without you leaving the doors open.”

“Sorry” Hikari replied, although she didn’t sound it especially. “I’ll have a pot of mint tea please.” Grumbling to himself the old man put together a pot of piping hot tea, sugar (of which Hikari preferred two spoons of, in case you wondered) and a mug, and presented it to Hikari with a bit of a clatter. Hikari paid him, looking along the bar as she did so. No-one else seemed to be wishing to order, so now she’d done the polite thing of buying something first she was free to ask what she wanted. “Barman, I’ve come to town to find someone rumoured to live here. I don’t know their name, but I was wondering if you might know who or more importantly where I might find him if I tell you what I know.”

“Bah, how can you be looking for someone you don’t know the name of?” grumbled the old man. “Look here girl, we’re a simple folk here, with a tight community. We all know each other well, and we don’t take kindly to strangers barging in here and asking silly questions, and...”

“Then if you can help me, I’ll be on my way all the sooner, and if you know everyone as well as you say, then my question shouldn’t be that difficult.” Hikari overruled him with ease, without raising her voice or any change in her position. It amused her a little how much this flustered the old coot. “The person I’m looking for is a shaman.”

There was the sound of smashing glass followed by absolute silence, and Hikari knew she’d asked the worst question possible. The barman’s face turned scarlet in seconds, as he leaned over the bar to her.

“Get. Out!” he whispered in rage.

“Not without an answer” Hikari answered in an even more hushed tone. The old man was physically shaking, his moustache quivering, his piggy eyes narrowed and boring into her as she sat there resolutely, not giving an inch. Around the pub, everyone was looking at her. Some were as angry as the barman, a few had stood up and one of the men at the bar (the one who had dropped his pint and whose fur boats were now soaked in beer) cracked his knuckles. Some had paled, looking suddenly terrified by what she had said. A youngster playing snooker in the corner stopped mid shot, yelping with terror. His friend turned and stared at her with his jaw hanging in amazement.

The barman leaned closer towards Hikari, spitting with rage as he spluttered at her. “That man... that fiend you speak of... he is a witch, meddling in strange and wicked things no mortal man should go anywhere near. He brings ill fortune on everyone here in this village. You must be mad to seek him, or equally as wicked with schemes of darkness. Turn heel and leave this little village untainted by your dark intentions girl, and for your own sake never come back.”

“I’m not coming all this way for nothing” she growled back, still unmoved. “I am no threat to you or your village. Now I am going to ask you politely one more time, give me a straight answer and I’ll be on my way. Where can I find the shaman?” The barman went from red to a deep shade of purple as Hikari glared back at him. They were so focused on each other that neither noticed the man at the bar curse as he marched over, and did not notice until he grabbed her hard around the wrist.

Pain exploded in every part of Hikari’s mind as the touched area, despite the layer of white leather and the wrap of bandages underneath, flared up as if locked in a shackle of red hot metal fresh out of the blazing fire. The scream that came out of her stunned everyone, giving her the moment’s advantage. Not that she was thinking. Jumping out of her seat Hikari drove her knee into her aggressor’s manhood, causing him to let go of her with a grunt, whilst in the same swift graceful movement grabbing the pot of just boiled mint tea, and smashing it as hard as she could against the man’s face. Both china teapot and nose shattered on contact, delicious tea mixing with not so delicious blood. The man fell to the floor; screaming and writhing and clutching his scolded bloody face.

The pub exploded into a raged frenzy. Crashing out of the doorway back into the snow outside, Hikari leapt onto her duel runner (thank god she’d left the engine running for fear of it freezing) as seven enraged patrons charged through after her. Putting her foot to the floor, Hikari left them in a spray of snow, shaking their fists at her as she went and hurling all manner of foul abuse. They weren’t chasing her, but still Hikari drove as fast as she could through the snowy village, evading shocked onlookers that wandered past, and did not stop until she was at the edge of the village from where she had entered. Her heart was beating out of her chest. Screaming again in pain and frustration, Hikari flopped against the handlebars, resting her head on the blade of the duel shield inserted in the mainframe...

She was in Yuma’s living room. She was lying sprawled on the floor, panting and clutching her body. Melody was backing away from her, looking absolutely terrified. Yuma had just entered from the kitchen, to find them in this position, and didn’t know quite who to react to first. The little girl ran from the room, crying her eyes out...

In a blink, she was in the kitchen, where she was sat at the table with a cup of tea in her shaky hands, with Yuma sat across from her. Yuma had chased Melody to her room first, spent a few minutes calming her down, before returning downstairs to Hikari. They had been sat in silence for a moment, before Yuma cleared her throat. “It’s even worse now isn’t it? It has been for a while.”

Hikari responded with a mute nod, before another long pause. “I’m going to help you Hikari.” The sudden steel that entered Yuma’s voice was frightening. “I will find some way, someone who can help free you from your pain. Just give me a few days to come up with something. I swear I’ll help you with this, I will help you find a way...”

Hikari snapped out of her vision with a start. She hadn’t realised she was being watched, but she had been sat there for a little while now, allowing the person stood a few feet away from her to catch up. A young boy wearing moose skin winter wear, with long blonde hair escaping from under his hat, and a reddish face from the cold and having ran after the bike tracks. The two stared at each other for a minute, each mirroring the others fear, until eventually Hikari broke the silence.

“You were in the pub, at the pool table” she said. The boy nodded.

“My name’s Samuel” he started suddenly, his voice was shaky at best. “I’m... I don’t know what you want here, but I can tell from what happened back there that you are driven to get what you want, what you need. That you desperately need something here more than anything. That only... the shaman can provide.” Samuel scared himself when he uttered that word.

“Something like that” Hikari replied uneasily. “Why did everyone freak out like that?”

“This village is pretty isolated from the rest of the Empire, and the people here like the status quo” Samuel replied, looking a little embarrassed. “They like things just so, and are suspicious of everything that is new or different. Your appearance here, your look, even your vehicle frightens them. Knowing this, you might be able to imagine how they react to a man who looks so alien to them, and who delves into the arts of magic and the unknown, that came amongst them ten years ago.” Hikari understood. How there could still be parts of the Empire this undeveloped, this backward, astounded her. But she knew it was possible, and she certainly knew how people could fear and despise those who were different, automatically label them threatening like they had done with her, and rally like a pack of wolves against any such threat. But then why had these people allowed this shaman to stay here?

Samuel answered her question before she could ask it. “The people here are two faced. During his time here, almost all of them have been to the shaman for medicine or charms, but they could never admit it to their peers. They are an ugly two faces. But I’m not like them, and I won’t refuse help to someone who clearly needs help. I can take you to him, if you still feel like that is what you want.”

“Yes please.” Hikari rolled the runner up to Samuel. Her runner couldn’t carry two, and he didn’t seem keen on getting on anyway, so she asked him to lead the way.

Twenty minutes later, Hikari and Samuel were standing outside a house a little way out of the east of the village on its own, backing onto the black mountain. The house was a mismatched log cabin (apparently built by the shaman himself) of a massive size; three floors tall in one place to their right as extensions had been added on as needed. To Samuel’s left was a garden, the first Hikari had seen here, and it was growing all kinds of plants and vegetables that had no right to survive in this climate, along with a few she had never seen the like of. Without further hesitation she walked up the steps and knocked on the door. Samuel did not follow.

“Aren’t you coming?”

“I’d rather leave here thanks Hikari. I’m not like the others, but the shaman scares me a little too, and the other folk will be wondering where I am and getting suspicious. Besides, I’d think if you came all this way on your own, then you’d want to do this by yourself too.”

“I guess. Is there any way I can repay you?”

“Well, maybe...” Samuel rustled around in the pockets of his coat, before producing to Hikari’s surprise a small deck. “I’m going to become a duelist, and leave this village for the city someday. You’re from the city, so when I get there, and you’ve done what you need to do, how about we have a match?”

Hikari smiled, as the door swung open behind her. “Sure Samuel, I’ll look forward to it.”

The first thing that Hikari noticed as the door into the empty hallway closed was the heat. Clear steam filled the room, seeming to come from the room beyond, making her sweat slightly. Well it was better than the cold at least. Somewhere before her she could hear the chime of a bell, and a low humming noise. She could smell multiple fragrances; although the source could not be identified other than it also came from the same direction. The heat forced Hikari to take off her riding gear, stripping down to the white blouse and denim shorts she wore underneath, along with her wraps. Now her skin was exposed to the steam. It made her cuts and scars prickle uncomfortably. Ignoring them with a grimace, Hikari picked up her duel shield and reattached it to her left arm, before following the sounds and the smells coming from beyond, pushing against the sole door before her. There she found a strange new place.

Walking into a wide open room, several things hit her at once. The smell was coming from dozens of scented candles spread around the edges of this vast room, illuminating only half of it as the ceiling and far wall were shrouded by semi-darkness. The steam was coming from a pool, an actual bathing pool narrow in width but running for twenty metres or so in the middle of the room. Shelves filled to burst with bottles of potion and god knows what littered the walls, as did comfortable chairs and cushions, strange statues of creatures somewhere between human and beast, a large gong, and more besides. She couldn’t see the source of the chiming bell, but the source of the humming was wading into view.

A mask appeared in the darkness. A wooden tribal mask of lengthened rounded shape that covered the face and neck of the dark skinned man wading through the pool towards her, covered in red and green patterns, a toothy snarl and two black holes that hid his eyes. The shaman was up to his waist in the pool as he waded towards her. His broad chest covered in wavy lined tattoos and paints, dressed only in a fur that wrapped over his shoulders and another around his waist. Several chains of bone dangled around his neck, bracelets of similar material adorned his wrists and ankles. In his right hand was a tribal spear. On his left arm was a wooden duel shield. The shaman stopped and stared at the girl before him.

“Dear child, welcome to my humble home. I am Igaku.” The voice of the masked man was deep and low, enough to frighten her a little. “I can see in your eyes a great conflict; one that rages against a dreadful burden. That you have journeyed far to find me here, perhaps to help alleviate that burden. Tell me child, what ails you such to bring you to this barren and desolate place?”

“...My friend said she discovered a man in the northern wastes who had great spiritual powers. One who supposedly could heal almost any affliction. I came here to find him, and to be healed.” Hikari turned her arms so the shaman could see the deep scaring that they bore, before pulling up her top enough to reveal those on her stomach and back. “I obtained this scars through means of torture, done with instruments designed so that they would not heal. Since then, every time I am touched, they all react and cause incredible pain throughout my entire body. I have struggled and carried these scars for seven years, but over the last two they have got worse than ever. Please, tell me my friend was right, that you can heal me.” The shaman Igaku stood for a moment in silence, staring back at her.

“I see. Come child, into the water” the shaman beckoned for her to enter with his left hand. Incredibly Hikari did not hesitate to this request. Sliding herself into the water, she found it a comfortable warm degree. She also found it a lot deeper than she had expected, the level coming halfway up her chest and she was having to hold her duel shield (which was light enough to mercifully floated on the surface) at an almost ninety degree angle. She half waded, half swam to where Igaku was and stood in the water before him; the guy was only up to his waist! He had to be at least seven and a half foot tall! The shaman very gently motioned to her right arm and she held it out to him, letting him study it closer, wincing and fighting back howling like a wounded animal as he held it for a second and another stabbing pain pulsed through her, a reaction that inspired seemingly none in him.

“I have seen wounds like this before. Weapons laced with toxins that attack the plasma in your blood, weakening it so the wounds will not close, carrying the venom around the body. The toxin is neutral agent that does nothing on its own, except cling to your blood and to your skin cells. But the pain it puts you in when pressure is applied is most terrible.” At last some emotion crept into Igaku’s voice. “These would be most difficult to expunge. Tell me child, what will being healed mean for you?”

What kind of stupid question was that? Hikari had to bite her tongue, and after a pause give a controlled answer. “Erm... I’ll be free from horrendous pain?”

The silence from the mask was unnerving. “I am a spiritual healer. I know that there is no physical pain without emotional pain. I can see great emotional pain in your eyes. Why would you come all this way to try to rid yourself of these scars, and then cling to them and not commit to heal yourself completely?”

“I’m in pain. You can heal me. So why not?” Hikari stuttered uneasily. “Can we just focus on the physical stuff please? Once that’s gone, everything else will be fine. Now can you heal me?”

Igaku sighed. “Unless you can release yourself from emotional pain, you cannot release yourself from physical pain. Both spirit and body must be purified together. If one falters than the other shall fail beside it. I can help you with this process. It will be difficult, and you must endure more hardship than those I can see you’ve been through before. Only through struggle can you overcome.” With that the giant man took a few backward steps and activated his duel shield.

“You cannot be serious. I’m going to be healed by duelling?”

The mask nodded as if this was obvious. “Yes, but it shall be like no other duel you have been through before, that I can promise you. You must fight with everything you have to expel the demons in your body and in your spirit. We shall duel under the following rules. You shall start with four thousand life points. I shall start with infinite life points...”

“Say what!?” Hikari almost fell over hearing this seemingly ridiculous rule, much to Igaku’s annoyance.

“Your objective is not my defeat. That would accomplish you nothing. Your objective is much simpler, and that is to get your life points to eight thousand; double their starting total. During each of your standby phases, except for your first turn, you will gain two thousand life points. Of course I will not just let that happen. You are going to have to go through great struggle; physically and spiritually, until you overcome the poisons inside you and expel them.” Igaku dropped his spear, Hikari braced herself.

“Duel!”

‘Okay, so all I have to do is survive two turns. How hard can this be?’ Hikari thought (naively) as she added her sixth card to her hand, just keeping her cards above the ripples of water as the blade of her shield floated on the surface. Since the legalisation of duelling and subsequent access to new cards, she had strengthened her deck like all the others had, although she still ran the two races of monsters that had protected her for so long at the core. “I’ll start with the Fabled Beast Rubyruda in attack mode.” A strange bird like fiend with black feathers appeared over her head (ATK: 1100). ‘When Rubyruda is attacked, I can discard a Fabled monster to negate that attack. Currently I have two in my hand – Krus and Raven. Ruby is also a level four tuner monster, and when I get to my next turn, I also have Garoth, Lightsworn Warrior ready in my hand waiting to Synchro.’ “I’ll end my turn with a face down.”

“Then it’s my turn, and the process of your cleansing truly begins.” As Igaku drew, the steam in the air seemed to increase in volume, the scent of the candles seemed to thicken, and the arena darkened. Looking up, Hikari gasped as the dark ceiling changed, revealing what was surely an illusion of a starry sky breaking through the dense clouds. The stars surrounded her in all directions as the walls and the decor vanished from view, leaving her floating in this space with the shaman. It reminded her of somewhere she had been long ago, where she fought her toughest battle.

“I activate Hand Destruction. This sends two cards from our hands to the graveyard, but does not trigger the effects of the Fabled monsters you use.” Hikari gasped – he knew she used Fabled? “I am aware of the cards possessed by a saviour of this world, by one who once bore the mark of the signers. The world you see around you is an illusion your own thoughts create; a reflected memory of a time when you underwent so much. Now we draw two new cards.” Hikari scowled, so much for that Synchro next turn as she threw away two cards and drew two more, whilst across the water her opponent did the same. She couldn’t tell anything with that mask. Suddenly his muscular arm shot up, holding up almost his entire hand. “Now I activate four spell cards.”

“What!?”

“Witness my quick play spell chain as it activates, unleashing the effects of four spell cards one after the other. Offerings to the Doomed. Poison of the Old Man. Chain Strike. Miraculous Rebirth.” Igaku slammed each card into the shield one after the other, an illusion of each card rose one after the other before Hikari above the level of the water. “My card chain resolves thus. Miraculous Rebirth summons one monster from the graveyard. I choose my discarded Lightning Punisher.” The first card vanished, and a slender man dressed in a tight black suit that exposed his toned body, with a shock of turquoise hair and a face blank except for his white eyes, appeared and floated before Hikari. Sparks of electricity coursed between his fingertips (ATK: 2600). “Next Chain Strike activates, inflicting damage equal to its activation in the chain times four hundred!”

Hikari screamed as pain coursed through her frail body. The force of a sun exploded inside her mind, the shockwave coursing through every nerve and fibre of her body. Every scar screamed in unison as they flared in kind (LP: 2800). Somewhere in the distance, the next card activated. “Next comes Poison of the Old Man, hitting you with eight hundred more points of damage.” The damage might have been less numerically speaking, but after the crippling first volley it hurt even more. Hikari could barely breathe, could barely see as her body seized up, standing rigid in the water (LP: 2000). “Then finally Offerings activates, destroying Fabled Beast Rubyruda.”

‘The effects of these cards, they feel even more intense than back then. Could it be because of this place? Well at least his chain’s over’ Hikari thought, as the winged creature keeled over and nose dived into the pool beside her. She still had her face down.

“Lightning Punisher’s effect now activates. When a chain of three or more cards resolves, one card on your field is destroyed.” Hikari gasped as her face down Defence Draw exploded before her. “I’m disappointed. You could not even last one turn. Lightning Punisher attacks you directly.” With electricity coursing through the monsters hand as he raised it towards her, Hikari’s mind braced for the impact. For the brutal force that was about to course through her and cause agony like nothing felt before.

‘I’ll never give up. Not like this.’Necro Gardna activates from my graveyard, blocking one attack.”

Igaku did not seem that surprised. “Very good. I end my turn with by placing my last card face down.”

[spoiler=Summary - Round 1]

Hikari: Front Row: - Back Row: - Hand: 4 LP: 2000

Igaku: Front Row: Lightning Punisher. Back Row: Face Down. Hand: - LP: ∞

“How is this supposed to help heal me?” Hikari demanded amid heavy intakes of oxygen, as she drew her next card.

“The path to the nest of the condor is rocky and treacherous. Only by braving such dangers will you be rewarded with the prize at the summit. But first you need a reason to climb and face the danger in the first place, else you will certainly fall. Only by admitting your reasons for suffering your ordeals can you confront them, and then defeat them” was the mystic response.

“My reasons for suffering?” she started indignantly. “I was held and tortured for standing and fighting against the Empire!”

“But that was seven years ago, by your own admission. So why have they gotten worse now, such a long time later? That is what you must discover through this duel. This is a battle of spirit as well as endurance. You know from your past that those who survive hardship are rewarded for their struggles. Now you enter your standby phase, and gain two thousand life points.”

Hikari was baffled, but at least now she could feel the effects of this ruling. What a blessed feeling. Every ache and sore caressed by the warm water seemed to ease and melt away, her exhaustion evaporated, the stresses on her mind drifting away (LP: 4000). The smell of the candles intensified as she breathed in, lifting her further. She looked at her card. It was perfect, especially now Igaku had used all his ammo.

“By discarding one Fabled monster, I can special summon Fabled Beast Nozoochee from my hand.” A yellow skinned snake creature slithered through the portal above where she was. “My discarded card is Fabled Krus, which when discarded lets me revive Rubyruda from my graveyard. Also when summoned by its own effect, Nozoochee lets me summon Fabled Raven from my hand. Then I’ll summon Fabled Lurrie to join the party.” The winged fiend returned, along with a bat like creature and the birdman as well. “I place one card face down, then it’s time for the true light of the fallen to shine. I Synchro summon Fabled Ragin and Fabled Beast Unicore!”

Whether Igaku was impressed or fearful of her two monsters – the demon prince (ATK: 2300) or the pure white stallion (ATK: 2300) was unknown. But as Hikari looked at the two cards offered to her by Ragin’s effect, she knew she was back in this. “When summoned, Ragin lets me draw cards until I have two in my hand. I place them both face down and end my turn.” ‘This is better. He can’t draw this turn due to Offerings to the Doomed’s effect, meaning Unicore can negate his face down. Course his monster could run over it, but I’ve got Synchro Strike waiting to deal with that. I don’t understand what he’s saying, but I am going to win. I will be cured, and then I will be able to have everything I’ve been denied. They will be able to have everything that my body has denied them.’

“I don’t think you’ve got this yet” Igaku said with a shake of the head. “I am not your opponent; your inner conflicts are your opponent. I activate an effect that your Unicore cannot negate, as it is from my graveyard. A/D Changer switches Unicore from attack into defence.” Stunned, Hikari could only watch as her unicorn dropped helplessly to one knee, before Igaku’s monster mercilessly disposed of it. “Now that is dealt with, I can activate my face down spell card Greed Grado, allowing me to draw two cards. I set a monster in defence mode, and place one face down. Turn end.”

[spoiler=Summary - Round 2]

Hikari: Front Row: Fabled Ragin. Back Row: Face Down x3. Hand: - LP: 4000

Igaku: Front Row: Lightning Punisher, Face Down. Back Row: Face Down. Hand: - LP: ∞

Well at least she hadn’t taken any more damage that turn. Again the effects of her life points increasing overcame her, engulfed her every sense. The experience of the waves of smell and easing sounds of the environment and sights of the glistening stars, glistening brightly all around her, made her feel light headed. Everything seemed so calm, like a dream (LP: 6000). Feeling oddly blissful, Hikari drew her card. This time she would take down that monster. “I summon Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress. Then I activate her effect, switching her into defence position to destroy your face down trap card.”

“The trap Threatening Roar activates first. Now your attacks are shut down for this turn.”

Hikari cursed as the blast fired from the lady in whites staff hit a target that had activated successfully, before she crouched beside her (DEF: 200). Oh well, she could still stop that monster for now. “I activate the equip spell Prevention Star. By equipping this card to my monster that has changed to defence this turn, I can target your monster and make it unable to attack or change its position. Plus if you destroy Lyla, your monster will be removed from play. I end my turn there, at which point Lyla mills two cards.”

“I draw” Igaku declared, giving his card a quick glance. “I flip summon my Morphing Jar monster. This discards all cards in our hands, of which there is just my one. Then we each draw five new cards.” Hikari blinked as the grinning jar rose from where the back of a face down had been, before picking up her new hand. His own replenished, Igaku studied his cards carefully, before raising them high again. “I release Morphing Jar to advance summon Combo Master. Then I activate another four card spell chain. Mystical Space Typhoon. A second Chain Strike. Mystical Wind Typhoon. And finally my second Miraculous Rebirth.”

‘Oh crap!’ Sensing the danger, Hikari shook herself out of her dull stupor just in time. “I activate my trap Damage Diet. Now for the rest of the turn, all damage I take from battles and effects is halved.”

“Good Hikari. You’re fighting with spirit. Now you must decide why, what it is you’re fighting for. Miraculous Rebirth summons Iris the Earth Mother from my graveyard. Wind Typhoon destroys your Prevention Star. Thanks to your trap, Chain Strike hits you for a mere four hundred damage. Then Space Typhoon destroys your face down.” Senses dulled, the burn seemed minor, the explosions seemed unreal. Hikari’s vision faded, and she had to blink several times to focus as another monster appeared. A slender woman with long fiery red hair and dressed in light lavender robes stood on the lightning wielders right (ATK: 2400), whilst on his left now stood a bare-chested fighter (ATK: 2200).

“Now the effects of Lightning Punisher and Iris activate. Iris lets me draw a card, whilst Punisher destroys Ragin.” The demon prince vanished with a roar, leaving Hikari with only the sorceress beside her. “Also due to my chain of cards, Combo Master can attack twice this turn. Destroy Lyla.” One punch from the muscle bound warrior, and Hikari was left with nothing to protect her. Her head was spinning, her muscles heavy as she tried to move her shield across for the barrage of attacks about to come. “My three monsters attack directly. First Combo Master’s second strike.”

A fist thudded into Hikari’s shield, forcing her back a step. Her legs stiffened, her scars burned (LP: 4500). “Then Iris attacks.”

A blast of light struck the shield, and Hikari’s knees buckled. The stars surrounding her dimmed as her vision blurred, she could barely hear the third battle cry (LP: 3300). “Punisher attacks last.”

Lightning rattled around her entire body, and she fell, floating on her back, and she blacked out...

She was back in Yuma’s living room, playing with Melody. They were sat on the floor playing with the selection of dollies and teddy bears that Yuma and Sabin had bought for her, whilst Yuma was making drinks for them. Sabin and Juruo weren’t here, because they were training for the upcoming World Duel Championship in just a month’s time. Hikari watched the little girl picked up one of the dolls and sighed. Sabin and Yuma had everything; everything that she and Juruo couldn’t have. Ever since they had moved in nearby, she had felt down, almost jealous, because she saw it so clearly every day. She had tried to force herself to have what they had, but her body couldn’t take it. Juruo said it was okay and that it didn’t upset him, but surely he could only stay patient for so long. Being a successful professional duelist was a sought after quality by young city girls. But the more Hikari tried to push her body, the more it protested. This made her upset, and the more upset she got, the more her scars screamed in agony. Chasing these thoughts around her head, Hikari barely noticed Melody ask if she was okay, and when she got no response, walking over to her and hugging her tightly.

The shock that coursed through her body as Melody’s small arms wrapped around her waist and pressed her head into her stomach caused her to scream and shake violently. Without thinking she pushed the little girl off her, with enough force to shunt her halfway across the room. It was to this scene that Yuma walked in on, to find Hikari lying on her back with all the blood drained from her face, staring at the terrified little girl. Melody thought she had done something terrible, to hurt her godmother badly enough to reject her, and ran away in floods of tears...

“That’s it.”

Hikari jolted awake, back to the world she was in. The scented aquatic duel field swam back into focus. Tilting her head, she could just see Igaku staring at her through his mask. “The reason my scars have hurt me more the last two years is because they have denied me the two things that have become the two most important things in my life: my relationships with my goddaughter and my boyfriend. Because they’ve hurt me so much inside - because of the despair that I can’t hold them, and the fear that I’d lose them - my spirit has been worn away, so then they’ve started to feel worse for real too, in a vicious cycle.” Damn that expressionless mask as she floated towards the shaman. “Something like that right?”

“Exactly like that” he replied, his deep voice altered slightly. “Now you have found your path. Ascend it.”

‘With pleasure’. As Hikari pushed against the water into a standing position, standing a few feet from the shaman, a black aura surrounded her entire body. She felt weightless, as though a great burden was being lifted from her by what was about to come. “Now that all your monsters have attacked and done battle damage, I’m going to special summon a new monster from my hand. One that will take my despair and my pain away. I summon Tragoedia.”

From the dark aura surrounding her rose a terrifying demon. Resembling a massive spider with jet black hide, the demon grew and grew behind Hikari. Even the tall Igaku had to crane his neck as it rose and unfurled its many long claws, two yellow eyes and a fanged grin on its face (ATK: 2400). He placed his final card face down, allowing Hikari to draw.

[spoiler=Summary - Round 3]

Hikari: Front Row: Tragoedia. Back Row: - Hand: 4 LP: 2000

Igaku: Front Row: Lightning Punisher, Iris, Combo Master. Back Row: Face Down. Hand: - LP: ∞

The fifth card in her hand had pushed Tragoedia’s attack up above all of Igaku’s monsters (ATK: 3000). But there was no point in having it attack; that would gain her nothing. As the healing sensation of the steam and aroma’s passed through her again, she realised what she needed to do, but it would take her next card to work, for her deck to aid her (LP: 4000). “I activate the spell Charge of the Light Brigade, sending the top three cards of my deck to the graveyard before adding a Lightsworn monster to my hand.” Three cards offered themselves to her, and she smiled at the result, before dumping them and accepting the fourth. “The selected monster is Ehren, Lightsworn Monk. Next I activate an effect of Tragoedia. By discarding the level six Fabled Soulkius from my hand, the monster you control with the same level, Iris, comes over to my field. Then by sending one card from my deck to the graveyard, I summon Glow-Up Bulb.”

“That was your objective in using your spell card” Igaku noted, as his fairy drifted away from him, towards the spider fiend and the little plant that had rose from the beyond. “You showed a great amount of faith in your deck for that to happen.” Hikari nodded.

“Now I tune Glow Up Bulb with Iris to Synchro summon. Come out my beautiful thorn, my guardian, Black Rose Dragon. Wipe the field clear of all his monsters, and destroy Tragoedia!”

The still water crashed against her as the storm of petals filled the room. The scent of the candles fused with that of the flowers as they wiped around her, intoxicating Hikari as her protector, the pink and black nightmare Black Rose Dragon, roared overhead. Lightning Punisher and Combo Master were blown away in the hurricane. Igaku’s face down Jar of Greed card activated before it exploded. Tragoedia screams were heart piercing as its body writhed and contorted, before it vanished in a cloud of darkness. Finally the storm subsided, leaving nothing except the stillness, like it had never happened.

“I set one monster face down, and two face downs cards. Turn end.” She was exhausted, relying on the water to support her body upright. All she needed to do was last a few more turns. Her face down monster wasn’t Ehren; that was still in her hand. It was actually Jenis, Lightsworn Mender, which would help aid the recovery, and would get her to her target if she could just hold on. Her vision was getting foggy again, as the clouds of smells and steam thickened before her, the stars glistening. Igaku picked up his card, before placing it and the other one he had drawn previously face down. She was almost there. Hikari reached, groped around for her deck, which was when he finally spoke.

“You have realised the path, now I must push you to the limit of it, until the end. I activate the trap cards Magical Explosion and Cemetary Bomb! Each card inflicts damage equal to certain amounts of cards in the graveyard. Magical Explosion deals damage equal to the ten spells in my graveyard times two hundred, and Cemetary Bomb deals out one hundred times the twenty three in your graveyard. Totalling for over four thousand points of damage. It’s over.” Hikari barely reacted against her heavy senses as the two thunderbolts shot out of the darkness towards her.

Igaku had seen some things in his lifetime, during his many travels. Many were strange, some were terrible, and others were full of hope and purity. The warrior girl across the water from him now was full of those last two things. How she had endured so much, and kept fighting despite impossible odds. Now she was uncurling herself from her little ball she had been in, as a trap card he recognised, known as Hallowed Life Barrier, floated over her head. As Hikari unfurled herself, she felt dizzy, almost like she was slipping away from her body, barely registering her life points going up again (LP: 6000). As she turned over her drawn card, a few detached words floated through her foggy mind.

‘I’ll always stand by your side. Whatever faces us, we will face it together.’

“I activate the spell Stardust Shimmer, removing Soulkius and Lurrie from my graveyard. Black Rose Dragon rises again.” The floral dragon appeared overhead once more. Hikari could barely see it, could barely see anything as her vision faded, could barely speak out with her weak voice, but it would not be there for long. “I activate my final card, Destruct Potion, destroying Black Rose to gain life points equal to its attack. Reaching over eight thousand life points...” As the dragon vanished once more, one final wave of the heavy scented mist engulfed her body. Her senses failed, and she blacked out...

It was morning the next day when Hikari awoke. Blinking wearily from the deep sleep she was coming out of, Hikari found herself in a strange bed in an empty bedroom. Her riding gear was neatly folded on a chair in the corner. Yawning and stretching, Hikari got up and went to pull her riding bottoms over her shorts. It was then she noticed her pale arms and legs in front of her, locking her in place for a long time.

Hurtling downstairs and through the log cabin, Hikari burst into the main chamber with the bathing pool. The darkness had gone, lights down the centre of the ceiling illuminated the room now instead of the candles, lifting the veil of darkness from before. Igaku was sat at the far end of the room, legs folded against his giant frame as he sat meditating. Hikari approached him cautiously and waved her hand in front of the mask, but to no response. Presumably he had his eyes closed in deep meditation. Disappointed, she turned to leave.

“Your spirit is strong child. Your loved ones are lucky to have you.”

“No. I’m lucky to have them. Thank you Igaku.”

Stepping out into the cold morning air, Hikari looked out over the snowy beyond. Nothing had changed at all, yet everything felt different. Everything felt new. Walking over to her runner she started up the engine, the motor rumbled as it struggled to come back to life, but it didn’t faze her at all. Nothing would faze her now. Waiting patiently she sat on the runner, surveying the scene again, and something different caught her eye. Coming through the snow was a small creature, bounding towards her with big green eyes. There was no way that was... it was. It was the same husky dog she had seen yesterday and it was bounding towards her, its tail wagging and tongue hanging out as it came towards her. As the husky approached, Hikari got off the runner and scooped the dog up in her arms with a cry of joy, cuddling it tightly and letting it lick her face, and proceeded to hold it, completely free from the searing pain that had plagued her for seven years, until her runner finally revved into life once more.

So what did we think peeps?

I haven't even read the entire story yet, yet something motivated me to read Hikari - Lonliness. I think it wraps up Hikari's story nicely. Though I still need to read to the point where she gets BRD. Now to find where I am so that I can get back to reading so that I can eventually finish this story. You should send this to some website devoted to fanfics and have it as a whole, instead of in seperate posts like this. What I have read of the story is just awesome. Realy. Faith in deck... blah blah blah... everyone in fiction gets lucky and gets the right card. Unless they don't. Ok, I'll stop rambeling nonsense now. To the reading!

Archived