Yu-Gi-Oh! Armageddon (PG13) - Finished

Thank you, glad you think I got of to a good start.

I wanted to for the 'Barakus will probably use some big, strapping warrrio.... Fortune Fairies!?!' :lol:

Yeah... about that......

Prime candidates were actually Beast-Warriors or Beasts for me. Maybe some Rock deck. But Fortune Fairies was like... wut. You've generally mixed-and-matched characters and decks well till now, but this one felt entirely off-place. Intentionally so, perhaps, but it still doesn't make it easier or smoother to swallow.

Oh, and Erin so effing badass in this. Loved it. I really liked how you portrayed Demon's character in this, and how he showed certain weaknesses. I'm looking forward to how it will all play out. Ursula was awesome, very awesome. I can already spot one of my favorite moments in this arc and that will be when her connection to one or more of the main cast will be revealed (there will be one, yes?)

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was nice, Urusula was so freaking creepy >.>

I somehow imagine her as pretty though, aside from the bug and eye thing.

And that ending was epic, even though there's a plothole concerning Self Destruct Button.

Can't wait for 32!

Thanks dude.

I see Urusula as someone who goes out of her way to sex herself to compensate for the bug thing (with the dress, big hair, actions)... and it doesn't... really... work...

I guess thinking about it I could have used 'Draining Shield' (which is in Demon's deck) which would have given him what (6900?) LP, and used Senju and Sonic for Ruins tribute. Meh, not the worst gaff or alteration I've made duel writing. (I'll fess up now there will be one MAJOR card alteration before the end of the arc, hopefully you'll understand why when it comes.)

Prime candidates were actually Beast-Warriors or Beasts for me. Maybe some Rock deck. But Fortune Fairies was like... wut. You've generally mixed-and-matched characters and decks well till now, but this one felt entirely off-place. Intentionally so, perhaps, but it still doesn't make it easier or smoother to swallow.

Oh, and Erin so effing badass in this. Loved it. I really liked how you portrayed Demon's character in this, and how he showed certain weaknesses. I'm looking forward to how it will all play out. Ursula was awesome, very awesome. I can already spot one of my favorite moments in this arc and that will be when her connection to one or more of the main cast will be revealed (there will be one, yes?)

Sorry...

YES, ERIN CAME OFF WELL!!! Demon did too!!!

Loving the love for Urusula. I figured Demon needed another recruit, and she just wandered into my head.

As things stand there are only a few characters left to be introduced. Urusula is one of four 'new biographed' characters to appear. Two have already been mentioned several times but have not been bio'ed (one of them will come into the light more next chapter...) and then the final truly new main character will arrive shortly after... hopefully he will be just as awesome...

I really liked this chapter. The only thing was the Fortune Faries (seriously why those?), I honestly didn't see Barakus as such a guy.

Anywho I'm quite curious about Ursula's background now and will await the next chapter.

I thought everyone loved Fortune Fairies... :(

Maybe I should change the other archtype I thought is extremely popular on here that's appearing later... no.

Anyway, looks like I've still got the same three readers sticking it out. Might as well do this by PM eh? :D

Chapter 32 sees the physical appearance of not one, but two characters who have appeared a lot in the last arc, but not in person. And both of them are in pretty bad moods...

[spoiler=Chapter 32]

Chapter 32 - Judgement Day

Demon broke into insane laughter as he watched a small remote materialise in his brother’s hand, his thumb hovering just over a button with a skull on it. “Oh Vardus must have really loved you Barakus. First he gives you these weak fortune fairies, then that kamikaze card. I assume you realise what will happen if you go through with it? You really think you can push the button?” Demon continued to laugh, as his brother simply stood there, frowning deeply at him. Slowly, his laughter died, Demon looked oddly puzzled. “Heh, wait... you’re really considering this aren’t you?”

“If this is what he takes to stop you, then this is what it takes” Barakus said solemnly.

“Wow, really? You think a small thing like death is going to stop me?” Demon stared at his motionless brother, before raising his hand and pinching his eyes together. Surely he wouldn’t do it. “I can’t believe we’re related sometimes. I guess you got the muscles, Vardus got the looks, and I got the brains. Just listen to me a minute.” His cruel smile returned. “Your decision makes no difference to me; I get what I ultimately want either way. You will get yours to, when the ring of destruction above you is complete. All you are choosing between is killing yourself now, in some misguided self-righteous idea you’re saving the world, or you can spend a final week with your wife and kid, then pass on in Armageddon’s wake, pass on into Utopia with me. Vardus won’t be there, and if you kill us now, neither will we. We’ll just have to gamble with whatever it is that usually awaits the dead. Your move.” Demon folded his arms. The card in his hand, Mysterious Puppeteer, was no good to him here. None of his cards would protect if his brother chose to push the button. It was all down to his decision. Time stood still.

Demon could only blink in surprise as Barakus closed his eyes, and pressed the button.

Moaning, Juruo opened his eyes blearily. He was lying face down on the ground... whatever this ground was made of. It felt like rock, but it was cold against his skin as he pressed up against it, the surface was a translucent bluey-white with hints of violet, the surface sparkled from time to time in the light. Some kind or rare and precious crystal perhaps. Juruo’s head was spinning, as he struggled to work out how he’d got here. He couldn’t understand. The last time he was awake... it seemed like an eternity ago... he was in that dark castle. He was fighting against Demon, barely hanging on. Then somehow he had got himself into a winning position, until...

Juruo punched the crystal ground as his memory returned in full. Erin. Erin had betrayed them all. Right from the very beginning, she had been working for Demon. It all made sense now, how Alpha and Omega’s threatening note found its way to the secretary at the Resistance, to be discovered by Mel. How she had refused bluntly to have Mel in her team during the assault on the palace. The night itself, when the guards had been ready waiting for them as soon as they broke into the palace grounds. Being found so quickly by the two duelists Raesir and Gear. There was a small splash and cold feeling, as a tear drop fell on his fist. Erin was to blame for all of this, wasn’t she? But if that was the case, why did she claim to love him? To gain a hold on him she could use, to cover her tracks, or simply to mock him further?

Heaving himself upright, Juruo looked around, trying to get his bearings. This task proved impossible. The source of the light was nowhere to be seen, there was very little to be seen. All around him was just a swirling wall of some kind, was this... energy? A blizzard of white light blocking the horizon and the sky, streaks of various other colours flashed across it at random. Curious, Juruo started walking forwards towards it. But no matter how far he walked, the wall seemed to stay the same distance away. Turning round, the wall was just as close behind him as it was before he’d started. It was like fog. What crazy place was this? More importantly, were the others here?

“Hikari, Sabin, Mel?” Juruo shouted, straining his senses for a response. This pause allowed him to listen to the sound of this place, for there was a sound, a constant swirling noise, possibly from the movement of that foggy energy as he had now decided upon, and there was also something musical in the background. It was calming, beautiful. However it was not the response Juruo wanted. Shivering slightly, Juruo continued to march forward in this beautiful and empty wasteland.

Demon lay spread eagled in the long grass, eyes closed. Thoughts floated faintly across his mind. Wow, he actually did it. Now... I’m dying. I’m actually dying. I can feel... freedom... and relief. I may be unable to reach the bliss promised by Utopia, but I guess I cannot miss what I never had. Only embrace the eternal peace of death. Accepting his death, Demon’s head rolled sideways, eyes flickering lightly.

“Activate the trap card, Altar for Tribute. Sacrifice Ruin, Queen of Oblivion, to restore its owner.”

The angel disappeared in a cloud of purple smoke. The smoke floated over towards Demon’s still body, and descended into it. There was a hacking cough, and with a start, Demon awoke, breathing heavily as his heart restarted. He stared up at the three fireballs floating in the starry sky above him, panting, confused, until a figure leaned over him. A figure that was hidden by the ragged and worn purple cloak that concealed his entire being, except for the knotted, rotting hand that was grasping to the walking staff in his right hand, and two glowing purple eyes in the darkness. The figure bowed and extended his left hand from inside the folds of his cloak, grabbing Demon by the neck with a powerful grip. Demon was pulled to his feet, but the figure, who was of identical height to him, did not release his hold. Looking over his shoulder, Demon could see Barakus, lying against a gravestone. There was no blood, but he had been unquestionably killed by his cards power. The figure tightened his grip, focusing his son.

“Your arrogance is making you careless Demon, something you continually condemn the others for. Did this man’s parents raise you to be such a hypocrite, to be so weak? Now I find you here lying flat on your back, accepting a common death with open arms? Is Utopia and its power not good enough for you?”

With both hands, Demon grabbed the figure by his elbow, trying to free himself. The cloaked figure did not relinquish his strangling grip. Struggling for breath, Demon wheezed “Alright... I’m sorry father... I must be stronger... is that what you want to hear?”

“You should be stronger. You would have lost to that boy too, had it not been for Erin’s arrival that distracted him at the last moment. I warned you they were a problem.”

“Father, you know I had to push him, I had to draw the match out until the gateway was opened by the energy from our duel. The gateway did open, and Armageddon began as planned because of it. Any further result from the duel was immaterial.”

The cloaked man tightened his grip further, his gruesome hand choking Demon. “You fool! The difference between winning a duel and losing is never immaterial. Armageddon may be close now, but there is still much that needs to be done to ensure a passage, and if we are killed before the time is reached, we will not go to Utopia. It is too late for second thoughts son.”

With that, the figure struck the ground with his staff. Purple smoke enshrouded them, and when it had dispersed, both figures had disappeared.

For what seemed like an age, Juruo wandered, lost in this strange place. The scenery had not become any less bleak during this time, the only change had been in the sky far above him, where there occasionally was a stream of either red or blue or green, an aurora floating overhead before disappearing. Juruo shuddered. He was alone, he was confused, and he was started to become afraid as well. Desperately he screamed into the emptiness. “Is there anyone here?”

“I’m here.”

A strangely familiar voice answered Juruo from behind him. He spun around, and froze, shaking, eyes widened. Standing a few feet away from him was a young looking woman, dressed from head to toe in a flowing white garb. Pale blonde hair fell down her back over the dress. In her right hand the woman carried a crescent shaped staff. She looked what some might call perfect, except right now she was frowning and her sharp eyes were glaring maliciously at him.

“Welcome” Eternia said, although there was nothing welcoming about her voice, it was harsh and tinged with resentment. “This place is the Nexus. It is what you might call a gap, or a sub-space, in time and reality, between the numerous inhabited worlds. It is also my domain, where I have watched for thousands of years, where I watch the worlds come and go, and my power is absolute. I have bought you here to stand before me, do you know why?”

There was something about Eternia, the way she was glaring at him, the way she emphasized her rule here, that made Juruo gulp. It wasn’t hard to guess. “It’s because I lost to Demon, and let him start that Armageddon.” Juruo cringed as Eternia smiled, her stare piercing through him like a dagger.

“It is because you chose to lose Juruo, and because of that you have broken rules that cannot be fixed, and changed the course of many worlds. You chose to let him start what cannot be undone, and doomed us all. It was your fate, your destiny to defeat him, to strike him down and close the portal to the void, preventing this disaster. You were supposed to stop him, even though it would cost you the lives of your friends and yourself. Yet you disobeyed me, and somehow you broke from your fate, you did what no-one is supposed to do. Because of that, you have killed the existence of your world, the duel spirit world, and several other realities, innocently uninvolved that will be caught in the explosion as Demon’s device rips through the void.”

Without thinking, Juruo took a few steps backwards. His muscles began to seize up, his chest tightened, his breathing was oddly frantic. “You mean... it’s already gone? It’s already happened?”

Eternia shook her head. “Not yet. Two full days have passed since Demon activated his doomsday device, powering his Final Countdown card, and cast it into the void, an empty subspace like this one between realities. It would appear we have little over seven days left, until the end is reached.” There was little sorrow or remorse in her tone, just... anger.

Juruo’s heart skipped several beats. “Then we can still stop him. Let’s go.”

“You have done enough” Eternia’s face contorted with rage, as she seemed to glide towards him. “There is nothing to be done now. I told you I cannot physically interfere with what happens beyond this place. I can only guide someone I thought had the strength to do what was needed. You failed. You broke your fate, you altered natures course. All I can do now is make you suffer for it.”

Juruo stopped as she gained upon him. “No, that can’t be right. You’re telling me my future, or my fate, has been set in stone, and can’t be deviated from. That can’t be true.”

Eternia smiled. To her, this boy’s ignorance was amusing. “Everyone has a path they must follow. From the day they are born, I know where they will go, where they will connect with the paths of others, and where their path will end. Yours was to end days ago, at that castle, dying as an unknown hero. Now you will die here, as a coward who has somehow strayed from their path, and in doing so has doomed millions of innocent beings.” Juruo’s legs failed, as he buckled under her stare, like a medusa. Eternia was getting closer to him, reaching out to him, to deliver who knew what. Fearing the worst, Juruo raised his arm.

Silver light started to flow around his arm, taking a familiar shape. Eternia paused for a second, eyebrow raised, as somehow Juruo’s duel shield, emblazed with an angel and a dragon and its gleaming emerald stone at its heart, materialised around his arm. As soon as it had, a roar echoed around the Nexus. Not just one, but a united roar. From the fog behind him, the spirits of several dragons and their riders burst forth, as the entire ranks of the Dragunity charged the arena. The noble envoy Dux riding the bronze plated Phalanx. The strongman Legionnaire on the back of the black dragon Darkspear. The archer Angusticlavii, bow drawn from the back of the yellow armoured dragon Javelin. The graceful swordswoman Militum, along with another warrior Juruo recognised but had not used before, on the smaller, more compact Brandistock. And the mighty leader Primus, whip weapon brandished, riding the sleek Pilum. Primus gave the order to his allies, and as one they charged Eternia. Scowling, she waved a hand dismissively, sending an invisible force through the air, scattering the onrushing forces, a few of them crashing into the earth. Irritated but undeterred she continued towards Juruo, raising her hand.

The Dragunity were not going to be stopped. Each rider dismounted from their dragon, and the whole world turned into a sea of green as the energy wall reflected the lights of various Synchro monsters arriving all at once. Eternia had to stop this time, as she looked up at all five of the Dragunity Knights – Gae Bulg, Gae Dearg, Vajrayana, Trident, and the enormous Barcha, surrounded Juruo, defending him from harm. The boy’s eyes glistened over as he looked at them all. “Guys really, I don’t deserve you to forgive me.” The dragons roared, they seemed awkwardly touched, but resolute in their defence. Eternia glowered furiously at them all. How dare they interfere?

“My boy, take this cards and defend yourself.”

“What the? Father?” Juruo couldn’t help but ask out loud as a voice he hadn’t heard in a long time, warm and tough, floated across the strange dimension. Eternia seemed to have heard it too, and she was equally astonished. The two inclined their gaze upwards, as a small glowing light descended through the aurora overhead. Juruo instinctively reached out an open hand, as the glow settled itself in his palm and faded, revealing seventeen new cards, distributed between monsters, spells, traps and extra monsters fairly equally. Smiling, Juruo activated his duel shield, inserted his new cards into their relevant slots (his main deck almost reaching its absolute maximum allocation of sixty cards) and stood as they shuffled automatically, powered by his new found strength fuelled by the faith of his dragons.

“I am not going down here. I’ve come too far, committed too many wrongs to be stopped by you, no matter how powerful you are. I do not believe a word you said about our fates being fixed, and that we must go down a predetermined path. I can’t accept that. Even if you are right, even if I did change fates course, then I will just have to do it again. Now put me back in my world so I can fix this.”

Eternia stared furiously at him, this impudent child. A silver light began to contort and writhe around her left arm. “You have the nerve to make demands of me boy, after what you have done? You disobeyed my will and broken from your destiny. Now I will break you in two. Behold the holy power bestowed upon me, the queen of all fates, as I tear you apart.” A beautiful crystal duel shield solidified around her arm, as she activated it. The Dragunity Knights disappeared, waiting to be summoned as the duel began.

“Let’s duel!”

The randomizer gave Juruo the first turn. “I’ll start by playing the field spell, Dragon Ravine.” The misty wall of energy provided the perfect screen for Juruo’s spell, as the scene changed to reflect a mighty canyon under a baking hot sun that appeared in the energy above. “With this spell in play, I can drop one card from my hand to add one Dragunity monster from my deck to it. Then I’ll summon my added monster, Dragunity Militum.” The auburn haired swordswoman emerged beside him, long sword in one hand, hunting knife in the other (ATK: 1700). “I’ll place one card face down and end it there.”

“You have no idea what you have let yourself in for” Eternia growled at him as she drew. She tipped the card to see it, and her face broke into a sinister smile. “Those who break the rules of destiny must be punished, and this righteous warrior is perfect for aiding me dispense judgement. Trident Warrior.” A bearded man in turquoise armour appeared, brandishing a golden halberd (ATK: 1800). “Why stop there, when I can activate Trident Warriors ability? This lets me summon one level three monster from my hand immediately.” Eternia smiled as she turned one of her cards round, and Juruo gulped. He recognised it, or at least something similar to it, had been used in a previous duel he had witnessed, it was a tuner. Eternia pushed the card into the blade of her shield, summoning the little fiend wearing a flame emblazed apron over its cloak and carrying a tuning fork (ATK: 300). “I tune level four Trident Warrior and level three Flare Resonator to Synchro Summon the holy dragon, the defender of the light. Bless us with your presence and unleash your beautiful disaster, Ancient Fairy Dragon.”

The beast that emerged from the pale light was achingly beautiful, a female dragon with a sleek blue serpentine body and dazzling pink wings, even larger than most of Juruo’s Dragunity Knights. She was protected by gold armour and a similar headdress, which allowed a flowing pale blue mane to fall down its long neck. The dragon opened a mouth full of sharp white teeth, and unleashed a furious scream (ATK: 2400).

“Ancient Fairy Dragon’s attack has been raised from its normal level by the effect of Flare Resonator. Now I activate one of my dragon’s special abilities. Once a turn, I can destroy one field spell in play, and gain one thousand life points if I do so.” The illusory ravine faded from around the duelists, and Eternia’s body was engulfed in a strange blue aura (LP: 5000). “Also, if this effect is successful, I can add my own field spell to my hand. Next I’ll take down what is surely one of your defensive traps by using Stamping Destruction. You know all about this card Juruo. It lets me destroy one spell or trap card you control, and then hits you for five hundred points of damage.” Juruo’s face down shattered. As it did so, Juruo started as a red aura engulfed his body, burning him, making him yell out in pain and shock (LP: 3500).

“You knew my card was Negate Attack” he panted as the light left him.

“Of course I did. You forget Juruo, I am the one who constructed your deck, and gifted it to you through my aid, Inpachi. I know every card in it. Frankly I find your monsters turning against me most offensive. Now prepare for a second dose of pain, as my sacred dragon destroys your monster.” The dragons scream sent shockwaves towards Juruo, destroying Militum. Once again, Juruo was attacked by the red glow, attacking him like fire, burning every cell in his body, engulfing his mind (LP: 2800).

“Those attacks were just a taste of what is to pass; the worst is yet to come. I activate the field spell, Synchro Monument. With this in play, no effects can be activated to counter the summoning of a tuner monster or Synchro monster I bring to the field. Finally I place one card face down, turn end.”

[spoiler=Summary - End Turn 2]

Juruo - Front Row: -. Back Row: -. Hand: 3 LP: 2800

Queen Eternia - Front Row: Ancient Fairy Dragon. Back Row: Face Down. Hand: 2 LP: 5000

Juruo glanced up at the huge monolith appearing behind Eternia. Well, could be worse, somehow. It almost certainly was going to in this duel if he didn’t start a comeback now, but if Eternia knew all the cards in his deck and all his strategies, that might be difficult. He would have to change it up, and use the new cards he had received to do so. “I summon Dragunity Legionnaire to the field, and use his effect to resurrect the Dragunity Phalanx I discarded last turn, combining their powers as dragon and rider.” Eternia looked remotely bored as the teams strongman emerged on the back of the bronze dragon (ATK: 1200).

“I suppose you’re going to use his effect to send your dragon back to the graveyard and destroy my dragon, like you always do, aren’t you?” Juruo smiled at her.

“Nope. I’m going to activate Phalanx’s effect, separating my two monsters from each other. Then I tune my level two Phalanx and level three Legionnaire, to give rise to a new Synchro monster. Spread your wings and take flight to arms. Vortex the Whirlwind.” A magnificent bird warrior soared forth, unleashing a stream of black feathers from its thick plumage in its wake. The warrior was still half human, having two arms ending in clawed hands, as well as vicious talons on its feet. He carried two guns on its back, and a long chain with a spike in one hand (ATK: 2100). “Next I equip Vortex with the equip spell Fighting Spirit, which raises his power by three hundred for each monster you control (ATK: 2400). Also, if Vortex would be destroyed by battle, the spell is destroyed instead. Go Vortex.” The birdman cast his chain so that it wrapped around the fairy dragon, before taking fire with a machine gun.

“I activate my face down card, Barrier Wave. By releasing my dragon, all monsters you control are switched to defence mode, and you take damage equal to your monsters defence.” The chain fell limply to the ground as Ancient Fairy Dragon disappeared. Attack failed, Vortex switched to a crouching position (DEF: 700), and Juruo was hit by the red glow for the third time, clutching his ribs and fighting to keep from screaming as pain engulfed every part of him (LP: 2100). Assuming his half collapsed form meant it was her turn, Eternia drew her next card. “Ancient Fairy Dragon may have been sacrificed, but I have plenty more dragons to do my biding. By discarding one card from my hand, I special summon The Tricky to the field, and alongside him I summon Creation Resonator.” A jester like creature and another tuning fiend, this one representing the wind with its wings and a large propeller on its back appeared together, and with a strike of the Resonators tuning fork, became engulfed in darkness. “If you thought you’d been burnt before, you are to be dismayed by the power of this creature. The bringer of hell fire descends with his burning rage, Red Dragon Archfiend.”

As much as Eternia’s last dragon was beautiful, this one was terrifying. A lean black and crimson body, huge blood red wings and a long tail, dreadful curved claws, a thick neck supporting a head with three horns producing from it, and baring a fire spitting maw and glowing red eyes, everything about this devil dragon screamed ‘Power’.” The dragon took flight above Eternia, roaring ferociously (ATK: 3000). She didn’t need to command an attack this time, the dragon helped itself. Fire gathered into a ball in one of its clawed hands, and it unleashed this fireball towards the bird warrior kneeling before it, engulfing it.

“By sending Fighting Spirit to the graveyard, Vortex doesn’t get destroyed by battle this time.”

Eternia scoffed at Juruo. “Fool, you think that will stop Red Dragon Archfiend? His effect activates after attacking a monster in defence mode, which destroys all monsters hiding from him in defence that you control. And because it’s being destroyed by an effect, Vortex’s effect does not activate.” A stream of fire erupted from Red Dragon Archfiends mouth, and Juruo’s monster was unable to withstand the second blast.

[spoiler=Summary - End Turn 4]

Juruo - Front Row: -. Back Row: -. Hand: 2 LP: 2100

Queen Eternia - Front Row: Red Dragon Archfiend. Back Row: -. Hand: - LP: 5000

‘Damn it, can’t I get through one of her turns with something left on my side of the field?’ Juruo thought to himself. He looked over his hand. Two trap cards, both new ones, but he couldn’t use either of them yet, and putting them down anyway might be a waste if Eternia drew another Stamping Destruction. That left one familiar recruiter to him. “I summon the Masked Dragon to arms.” The flat faced red and grey dragon flew through the wall, crouching in front of him (DEF: 1100).

“Is that all?” Eternia asked. “This won’t last long. I draw and activate the spell card Pot of the Crimson Devil Dragon. This lets me draw two new cards, but luckily for you I can’t summon any more. Not that I need to when I have Red Dragon Archfiend out to destroy all in his path.” Eternia raised a hand in command to her dragon, as it unleashed another fireball, smiting Masked Dragon effortlessly. Juruo ducked behind his shield from the intense heat of the blast.

“Masked Dragon’s ability activates. When he gets destroyed, he summons another in his place. Come out, Dragunity Javelin.” The long yellow plated dragon emerged, safely in attack mode (ATK: 1200).

“Humph, so you summoned another weak dragon. Red Dragon Archfiend will tear into him next turn. I place two cards face down, your move, if you dare to keep fighting.”

[spoiler=Summary - End Turn 6]

Juruo - Front Row: Javelin. Back Row: -. Hand: 2 LP: 2100

Queen Eternia - Front Row: Red Dragon Archfiend. Back Row: Two face downs. Hand: - LP: 5000

“Haven’t you got it yet? Giving up isn’t something I do. You might have done, you might have conceded to Demon’s Armageddon, but I won’t yet. Draw.” Perfect. “I summon Dragunity Dux to the field, and immediately tune him with Dragunity Javelin, to summon forth two beings, a knight and a dragon, fighting as one with great power. Dragunity Knight - Gae Bulg.” The mighty serpent roared from on high, descending through the auroras haze, its silver body armour glistening like a rainbow as it refracted the lights of the mist. From the dragons back, a lancer wearing matching silver armour adjusted his helmet slightly, preparing for battle as the dragon beneath him reared and screeched (ATK: 2000).

“I am aware of your ace’s power. Too bad for you, I activate my face down card, Red Screen. This trap stops you from declaring any attacks while it is face up, although I must pay a hefty cost at the end of each of my turns. “

Juruo grimaced in resentment; this being had a counter for everything he tried. He needed to win to escape this place, get back to his world and stop Demon. There had to be something to stop him. Not to mention get away from whatever retribution Eternia had in mind. “I place two cards face down.”

“Then I draw.” Eternia snatched another card from her crystal shield, frustrated with the boys stubborn refusal to back down. “I summon Fusilier Dragon, the Dual Mode Beast straight to the field.” Juruo blinked in surprise as an enormous mechanical dragon, running on tank tracks and armed with several cannons, appeared. “I can summon this level seven monster without release, by sacrificing half of its attack power. Not that he is going to attack you. I activate the second effect of Red Screen. When Red Dragon Archfiend is in play, I can destroy this card to summon a level one tuner from my graveyard. I resurrect the Glow Up Bulb I discarded when I summoned the Tricky, and you know what this means by now. I tune Glow up Bulb and Fusilier Dragon together to summon my third sacred dragon. Spread your wings of darkness and bring Juruo to his knees, Black Winged Dragon.”

Juruo stared skywards as an enormous bird-like dragon burst through from the purple column of light, unfurling its gigantic feathery wings. The dragon emitted a horrible shriek from its beak that shook Juruo’s body, causing Eternia to laugh menacingly, revelling in his fear. As if one wasn’t bad enough, now there are two dragons to deal with. How on earth do I get out of this?

...I'm not gonna lie when I say this chapter is easily one of my favorites. Eternia is just like I thought she should be, really trying for the best but unforgiving of failure and especially the failure caused knowingly by Juruo. Her contradictory logic really adds to her character ("You can't deviate from your fate, and now I'm going to punish you." "Why?" "Because you deviated from your fate.") I think the scene with the Dragunity monsters standing up for Juruo was very powerful. Although Juruo's dad appearing was quite cliche, I knew it would happen since the beginning, but I was hoping it would be saved for Demon fight redux or something. The ending of the fight between Barakus and Demon took me by surprise. “Activate the trap card, Altar for Tribute. Sacrifice Ruin, Queen of Oblivion, to restore its owner.” - that really sounds like something from Duelist Kingdom saga Yugioh, lol. Demon being so complacent about his death was rather surprising to me, but it does add some interesting depth to his character. The idea of a Signer Dragon deck was pure win for Eternia, too. But this sentence miffed me: Two full days have passed since Demon activated his doomsday device, powering his Final Countdown card, and cast it into the void, an empty subspace like this one between realities. It would appear we have little over seven days left. Final Countdown needs 20 turns, but this seems to take only 10. Does it count nights too, or is it something else? Also I lol'd at the Nexus, nice to see the idea I picked up for Dead Zone spreading. It's funny because noone actually knows what the Nexus in the BELIEVE IN NEXUS opening actually is, and I took my idea from World of Warcraft.

That was a good chapter, Matt. I thought for a second that Elemia was a disguised Urusula for some reason. And of course the all-knowing goddess would use a Signer deck >.>

Shame that Barakus died, but I was impressed with his choice despite Demon's logic that any Shonen character would have submitted to.

...I'm not gonna lie when I say this chapter is easily one of my favorites. Eternia is just like I thought she should be, really trying for the best but unforgiving of failure and especially the failure caused knowingly by Juruo. Her contradictory logic really adds to her character ("You can't deviate from your fate, and now I'm going to punish you." "Why?" "Because you deviated from your fate.") I think the scene with the Dragunity monsters standing up for Juruo was very powerful. Although Juruo's dad appearing was quite cliche, I knew it would happen since the beginning, but I was hoping it would be saved for Demon fight redux or something. The ending of the fight between Barakus and Demon took me by surprise. “Activate the trap card, Altar for Tribute. Sacrifice Ruin, Queen of Oblivion, to restore its owner.” - that really sounds like something from Duelist Kingdom saga Yugioh, lol. Demon being so complacent about his death was rather surprising to me, but it does add some interesting depth to his character. The idea of a Signer Dragon deck was pure win for Eternia, too. But this sentence miffed me: Two full days have passed since Demon activated his doomsday device, powering his Final Countdown card, and cast it into the void, an empty subspace like this one between realities. It would appear we have little over seven days left. Final Countdown needs 20 turns, but this seems to take only 10. Does it count nights too, or is it something else? Also I lol'd at the Nexus, nice to see the idea I picked up for Dead Zone spreading. It's funny because noone actually knows what the Nexus in the BELIEVE IN NEXUS opening actually is, and I took my idea from World of Warcraft.

Thanks man.

Regarding the Dragunity bit, I did it for two reasons 1- display Eternia's power to just dismiss the first wave quite easily and 2- the cliche duelist/monsters link. But to be honest, I can't read that bit without crying slightly.

The appearance of the dad, yes its very cliche. I admit to making a bit of a mess of decks early on, being too full of monsters and some rubbish spells (Tribute Doll, Dark Piercing Light, etc). Getting new cards to fight against the decks creator is one way of sorting and expanding J's deck, there will be a scene later where Sabin and Juruo have a deck editing session (so don't worry, there won't be a Yusei-style 80 card deck ;) ) This duel has been one of my favourites to write so far, there are quite a few badass plays to come I hope.

Well Final Countdown does take 20 turns: 10 of yours (starting immediately the turn its activated) and 10 of your opponents. The fireball that appeared in the spirit world in the last sentence of the 2nd arc was actually the second fireball. It will be explained to the characters when they get more of a chance to have this chat, but it will be a midday/midnight thing.

That was a good chapter, Matt. I thought for a second that Elemia was a disguised Urusula for some reason. And of course the all-knowing goddess would use a Signer deck >.>

Shame that Barakus died, but I was impressed with his choice despite Demon's logic that any Shonen character would have submitted to.

Thanks.

Not sure where that idea came from :D

Well, he was screwed either way really wasn't he? But it may have more relevance in getting someone motivated to join the story more.

Sorry, didn't realize my previous post went through >___>

Great chapter. I loved seeing the signer dragons again. I've really missed them since 5D's ended.

Just one question: If Juruo's dad used Blue-Eyes, where did that sychro come from?

NEW COMMENTOR! NEW COMMENTOR! Happy.

Easy, as a 5-time duel monsters champion, he would have recieved a lot of cards.

Woops, nearly spoiled a new card there... forgot we're half way through duel. Oh well, there are as I said 17.

Ybh, I didn't start watching 5D's until February, after this started, so they weren't originally going to be in.

But they are now. Glad you enjoyed it.

Wow, 4 people commented, relatively swamped. Thanks guys, keep them coming and I'll keep the chapters rolling. :)

A new week, over which the story will start to diversify more into different locations, different characters being focused on, including the last major character to be introduced (yes, focus on people other than Juruo, I hear you all shout). I know I know, but we have to finish his duel before we can get to that, k.

Hyperlinks to be added in the next hour or so.

[spoiler=Chapter 33]

Chapter 33 - A Torment Eternal

Eternia shivered in delight as she admired her two dragons hovering above her. The powerful savagery of the Red Dragon Archfiend, and the dark magnificence of the Black Winged Dragon. Juruo would have loved to have the time to admire their strength and beauty too, but at the minute, he was busy trying to stop them tearing through him. The silver plated Gae Bulg was all that was standing between him and certain annihilation, as he watched them, clutching his ribs from the last attack.

“Cower before the sacred dragons. These creatures have protected the human world for eons, fighting evil after evil with all their might, sacrificing themselves time and again. And how do you humans repay them. By giving birth to new evils, new threats to the spirit world. It is ironic that we duel spirits have to save you from destroying yourselves, yet we cannot leave you to march to your own demise, or our own existence would crumble. So we are cursed to live in servitude to you wretched people.”

“What are you talking about Eternia? I thought you were neutral in all of this.”

To his surprise, Eternia sighed. She looked rather fatigued all of a sudden. “Once so, but I have been doing this for a long time. I was once an inhabitant of the duel spirit, like the creatures before us. My power was great, my wisdom and judgement were ultimate. Until one day, millennia ago, I was bought here to serve in this role as the surveyor of all creations. I have watched worlds as they were born, grew, and died. But I never forgot my home. I have seen it come close to destruction so many times, unable to do anything but watch, and hope for a saviour. When I saw the coming danger, Demon creating his doomsday device and searching for the sacred beast cards to power it, I couldn’t bare it anymore. I could not just watch anymore.” Eternia’s voice quivered, as sorrow overwhelmed her slightly. “I selected you to stop Demon, because I saw you as a perfect warrior. You, with the blood of a duel monsters champion, and filled with all the values that would see you through all the danger, all the pain, until you did what had to be done. I broke all the roles of my position, providing you and your allies Sabin and Hikari the weapons to aid your fight, guiding you for longer than you know, trying to prepare you for the moment you would fulfil your destiny and save my home. Then you failed me.”

Juruo bowed his head as Eternia stopped, she was shaking. “Eternia, I’m so sorry. To be alone here for so long, having to see everything you have must have been unbearable. But can you see what this means, you have altered the course of the fates you believe in as well. Nothing is set in stone for any of us. Surely that means we can still stop Demon.” Eternia’s eyes flashed as her anger returned, her body shaking even more violently. Her long hair started to wave around, despite there being no wind in this place.

“I am fully aware of what I have done, and the price I will inevitably pay for it. I do not see wish to my home fall into the abyss because of you. We will continue this duel; I will destroy you for what you’ve done. Red Dragon Archfiend, strike down his knight.” The large dragon fired up again.

Juruo had no choice but to defend himself. “I activate Gae Bulgs effect. By removing Vortex the Whirlwind from play, my dragon gains its attack strength until the end of the turn.” The dragon knight’s body glowed with a green aura, as it roared a battle cry (ATK: 4100).

“I activate the trap card Synchro Stream” Eternia countered without blinking. “When there are two Synchro monsters on the field, I can increase the attack of one of them by the other. Black Winged Dragon, lend your fellow holy dragon your strength.” Both dragons roared in unison as Red Dragon Archfiends strength hit dizzying new heights, the fireball rocketing from its claws towards the outmatched knight (ATK: 5800).

“I counter with the Tuner's Mind trap. This returns a Synchro monster under fire to my deck, and summons the monsters used to summon him to defend me. Then it’s the tuner monster takes the hit.” Gae Bulg vanished in a wall of sparkling light, to reveal Javelin (DEF: 800) and Dux in its place. The small yellow dragon charged forward, curling itself into a tight ball at the last second as the flames struck and destroyed it.

Eternia continued mercilessly. “Black Winged Dragon, destroy Dragunity Dux.” Thanks to Tuner’s Mind, Juruo had been able to summon each monster in different battle positions, thus Dux had avoided the destructive blast of Red Dragon Archfiends effect (ATK: 1700). It could not avoid however, the stream of black fire that was unleashed from the dragon’s beak. Juruo clutched his chest again as the ominous red glow attacked him again, gasping for oxygen as his sight flickered, dangerously avoiding collapse.

[spoiler=Summary - End Turn 8]

Juruo - Front Row: -. Back Row: Face Down. Hand: - LP: 1000

Queen Eternia - Front Row: Red Dragon Archfiend, Black Winged Dragon. Back Row: -. Hand: - LP: 5000

‘So, to surmise, I being lined up by two snarling great dragons with incredible power. My hand’s empty. And my only card on the field is Hope for Escape, which would add some cards to my hand, but I need a thousand life points to activate it, which is all I’ve got. Not the best situation I’ve ever been in.’ Juruo mentally scolded himself, after all he had a draw still, and his deck, that had been provided by his opponent no less, had never let him down before. He knew the spirits inside it would protect him, they already demonstrated that here. Juruo drew, and smiled at his luck. “I activate Swords of Revealing Light, sealing your dragons attacks behind the defence of my spell.” Eternia snarled as golden swords penetrated the sky above, surrounding the dragons.

“Is that all the defence you can muster? There are plenty of cards in my deck that can remove Swords from the field, and when I draw one, this duel will be over.” Juruo knew that, but he had nothing else to hand. He just hoped Eternia did not have the same drawing ability he seemed to have. She placed a hand on the cards in her shield, making him wait, before she flipped it over. She smiled smugly.

“I activate the spell card... Upstart Goblin. This grants you one thousand life points, and then I get to draw again.” Juruo ignored the cooling sensation of the blue light that visually indicated he had gained points; it could be irrelevant in seconds. Eternia paused again, longer this time, making Juruo wince as she drew her card. His hearts stopped... and did not start again until Eternia grimaced, indicating she had not got one of the desired cards.

“Fate is merely toying with you. I place one card face down.”

There was a horrific screech above them, one that sent shivers down Juruo’s spine. It sounded like something dying, and painfully at that. Covering his ears and looking up, Juruo gasped. The noise was coming from the Black Winged Dragon, it was clearly in horrible agony. The sight of this majestic dragon writhing and crying out was appalling to watch, but neither duelist could drag their eyes away. Finally, mercifully, the dragon disappeared, a few of its feathers floating genteelly to earth between the two.

“At the end of my turn, Red Dragon Archfiend’s power destroys any monsters that did not attack that turn, except for itself” Eternia stated simply for his benefit. Well that was an unexpected bonus.

[spoiler=Summary - End Turn 10]

Juruo - Front Row: -. Back Row: Swords, face down. Hand: - LP: 2000

Queen Eternia - Front Row: Red Dragon Archfiend. Back Row: Face Down. Hand: - LP: 5000

“I draw, and then activate my trap card, Hope for Escape. By giving up one thousand life points, I get to draw a number of cards, depending on the difference between our life points. Currently the difference is four thousand, so I draw two.” Juruo looked over his hand; one of the cards was new, and very different from his usual monsters. He read the effect, surprised by it, as it worked perfectly with the cards he had. “I bring to the field for his debut, Cyberdark Edge.” What came forth was a large machine, somewhat resembling a mechanical dragonfly. It’s long dark grey body curved around from its head, which had one blue ‘eye’ and vicious pincers, and then another set on its tail. The machine spread its wings, unsheathing several sharp silver blades (ATK: 800). “Now when I summon a Cyberdark monster, I can equip it with a low level dragon from my graveyard, and it gains its attack. So I bring back Masked Dragon.” The dragon returned, and the machine settled itself on top of it, its thin body running down its spine, fitting between its winged shoulder blades, the clawed wings wrapping around its stomach, the head resting on the dragons like a helmet. Eternia grimaced in an ugly fashion at this creation (ATK: 2200).

“That accomplishes nothing.”

“Oh really. Well Cyberdark Edge has another effect you might find less trivial. It can attack you directly.” The two united monsters took flight, charging past the enormous dragon locked behind the swords, so that the masked dragon could let its fiery breath loose on Eternia herself. She raised her shield to protect herself, and although the dark red light that had drained so much out of Juruo enveloped her, she did not seem as physically effected (LP: 3900). “I’m done with my turn.”

Eternia snatched another card out of her deck. There was a moment’s pause as she thought out her move. “From my graveyard I activate the effect of Glow Up Bulb, which by sending the top card from my deck to my graveyard, can revive itself. Which will be a massive misstep, unless the card sent to the graveyard is exactly what I need. You think you’re the only one with an affinity with your deck, and the spirits within? Let’s see if my deck will provide for me what it keeps doing for you.” Juruo froze as his opponent placed her hand to her cards, Eternia must be referring to one specific card, and something told him she would get what she needed this time.

Eternia was not disappointed. “The card is Dandylion, which when sent to the graveyard, summons two Fluff Tokens to my field, alongside my bulb. Next I activate the trap card Synchro Material which allows me to use your Cyberdark Edge as material for a Synchro Summon this turn.” Juruo almost jumped; she was going to use his monster to summon another dragon!?

“I tune Glow up Bulb with Cyberdark Edge and my two tokens to Synchro Summon, Black Rose Dragon. Destroy everything before you in your storm!”

There was no fancy intro this time, this dragon didn’t need one. From a hurricane of petals emerged a terrible creature, a black dragon whose wings were covered in dark pink petals. Several black thorny vines emerged from its body, a larger one made up its tail. The dragon spread its wings, and released a deafening screech, as more petals whipped around the field like a tornado. Everything was crushed before it, one by one. Red Dragon Archfiend roared as it disappeared, Juruo yelled as his only defence shattered into light, before finally the flowery dragon was caught up in its own storm, and faded as well. The strength of this effect had left both duelists panting slightly, staring fiercely at each other across the empty playing field, Eternia smirking at Juruo. He was stunned by her rash move; it looked just bore out of impatience and irrational hatred then sound strategy. “I end my turn with a face down card.” Clearly the time for talk was over.

[spoiler=Summary - End Turn 12]

Juruo - Front Row: -. Back Row: -. Hand: 2 LP: 1000

Queen Eternia - Front Row: -. Back Row: Face Down. Hand: - LP: 3900

Juruo cursed under his breath at his hand. He may have thought her move an absurd risk to clear the field like that, but it didn’t look like it was going to cost her this turn, since he had nothing to capitalize on it with. “Your luck’s in Eternia, you got away with leaving a clear field. I summon Shield Wing in defence mode (DEF: 900), then place my other two cards face down.” Eternia burst into laughter.

“You really think I used my dragon’s effect as some desperate, miscalculated gamble? Maybe you are not the duelist I thought you were. Clearing the field was all part of a long term strategy, which concludes by activating my face down Call of the Haunted, reviving Black Rose Dragon.” Juruo slapped himself for his idiocy as the menacing floral dragon returned, no longer held back from attacking. The mighty beast shrieked in rage. Well, at least it wouldn’t be able to defeat Shield Wing in battle.

“Now I activate my Black Rose Dragons second ability. By removing from play the plant type Glow Up Bulb in my graveyard, I can switch one monster you control that’s in defence mode into attack, and reduce its attack to zero.” Juruo gasped as the ghostly image of the small bulb monster appeared before the dragon’s mouth. Its jaws snapped shut over it, sending a stream of purple energy towards the curled up lizard, forcing it to spread its steel wings (ATK: 0). If this went through... Eternia commanded the dragon to attack, several of those thick vines shot from its body towards the helpless winged lizard.

“I activate the spell card Swallow's Nest. By sending Shield Wing to the graveyard, I can summon from my deck a winged beast monster that is of the same level. I choose...” Juruo rifled through his deck, searching, hoping desperately, that somewhere among his new cards he actually had a monster that met the requirements, or else he would be taking the hit from those black vines that were rushing closer. Bottom of the deck, he found one, and threw it into the duel shield. A large blue chicken with a yellow plume sprang up from a gateway, wings crossed, the vines crashed through it, inches in front of Juruo’s face. The bird disappeared instantly, Eternia smirked at him.

“Now who’s lucky? You didn’t even know for sure you had a monster you could summon. I place one card face down and end my turn. And remember Juruo, I still have Dandylion in my graveyard. There is nowhere to hide from my Black Rose Dragon.”

[spoiler=Summary - End Turn 14]

Juruo - Front Row: -. Back Row: Face down. Hand: 2 LP: 1000

Queen Eternia - Front Row: Black Rose Dragon. Back Row: Call of Haunted, face down. Hand: - LP: 3900

“Then I’ll just have to cut that thing down to size” Juruo cried, although he sounded more confident than he really was. Time for one last desperate draw. Tipping the card upright, Juruo glanced at it, another new monster, and another perfect pick by the one who had given him this gift. “I summon the tuner monster Debris Dragon.” A small silver dragon with black wings, cerulean arm and leg bracers, and a tri-horned head burst forth (ATK: 1000). Juruo’s mind shifted into overdrive. He may be fortunate with his draws, he’d accept that, but something inside his head just allowed him to use what he had in a way that would see him win. “When he’s summoned to the field, Debris Dragon brings back one monster from my graveyard with less than five hundred attack points to fight beside him, although its effect is negated. So come on back, Unibird.” The podgy chicken returned, wings spread and ready (ATK: 100). “Time to unite. I tune Debris Dragon and Unibird together, to Synchro Summon two monsters fighting as one. Return Dragunity Knight - Gae Bulg, and attack Black Rose Dragon.” The almighty silver plated dragon returned with a roar, and charged, the knight riding it raising its lance. Juruo removed the Dragunity Dux from his graveyard, giving his monster the needed power boost (ATK: 3500). The Black Rose Dragon screamed violently as the lance pierced its side, the silver dragon also slamming it with its spiked helmet. Red light engulfed an enraged Eternia (LP: 2800), but she still played a trap regardless.

“Activate Scar Red Carpet. While I have a dragon type Synchro monster in play, I can summon Flare Resonator and Creation Resonator back from my graveyard.” The two smiling fiends reappeared, just as the great petal covered dragon faded away. Great, Juruo though, more tuners. He ended his turn, his monsters attack returned to normal (ATK: 2000). He just hoped he had done enough.

“You are going to pay for that.” Eternia snarled at him, her voice suddenly... unearthly, inhuman. Every word seemed to cut through Juruo’s head. The destruction of her monster had sent her over the edge. She drew, glaring daggers at him. “I activate the spell Aurora Draw, letting me draw two more cards.” Eternia plucked out her two cards, and stopped. Her eyes widened, dancing wildly, her shoulders rose and fell as insane laughter came from her. “I release Creation Resonator to summon Vice Dragon, giving me a level three tuner and a level five monster, and that means I can summon the fifth holy dragon.” Juruo gulped as the large purple dragon and the fiery demon disappeared into a swirling column of green light, stars spinning around it at increasing speed. Wind started to blow against his face, for the first time since he had arrived in this ‘Nexus’, heralding the birth of Eternia’s final ace. His body tingled, as Eternia screamed in ecstasy “From beyond the stars comes a beast wielding supreme cosmic might, the final sacred dragon. Stardust Dragon.”

The light faded, to reveal a mighty silver dragon; the sight took Juruo’s breath away. A sleeker, more agile body than the bulky Red Dragon Archfiend, but still powerful and armed with massive claws from its muscular arms and legs. At the end of the dragons long neck was a proud looking head, which it shook to brandish the three long horns. It spread its magnificent silver wings in a great arch, and unleashed a primeval roar. It was just so... so striking. Juruo was fixed on the spot, staring up at it.

Then there was pain. Shooting through his right arm, overwhelmed his senses. It felt like he was on fire. Instinctively he grabbed his arm, what the hell was doing that? He couldn’t see, he couldn’t think clearly. From somewhere far away, very faintly above the screaming distress in his mind, Eternia cried “Stardust Dragon gains strength from Flare Resonator. Now attack”. (ATK: 2800)

“Gae Bulgs effect activates, removing Dragunity Militum in my graveyard to raise his strength” Juruo gasped, trying half blind to find the graveyard slot of his duel shield.

“Oh no he won’t. From my hand the quick spell, Forbidden Chalice. Now your monster only gains four hundred attack points, as its effect is negated.”

The agonising sensation in Juruo’s arm only increased as the silver dragon tipped back its head, a pure white energy building in its jaws. Losing the energy to stand, Juruo fell to one knee. Desperately, he flipped his trap instead. “I activate Burst Breath. Gae Bulg sacrifices himself to take down all monsters whose defence is lower than his attack.”

Eternia raised an arm, ignoring Juruo’s plight. “Futile. Stardust Dragon’s effect activates. He too sacrifices himself for his duelist, negating the effect of a card that would destroy cards on the field.” Cancelling its attack, the dragon evaporated into stars, as Gae Bulg, consumed by fire, also disappeared. “But the best part is, at the end of my turn, Stardust Dragon returns to my field. You monster won’t. It’s over.”

Clutching his right arm, Juruo sank to his knees, shaking and breathing heavily. This was it. No matter what he drew next, there was no coming back from this. He had failed. The pain in his limb was getting worse and worse, and judging from the look on Eternia’s face, he had felt nothing yet. Her turn ended, the large silver dragon returned, towering over the field, claws bared and waiting to skin into his flesh. Juruo drew for the sake of drawing, knowing defeat was inevitable. The Dark Piercing Light card, brilliant, a card that served him no use in a duel whatsoever. Juruo remembered how he had used this card to blind the guards that were attacking Sabin in the forest. That seemed like such a long time ago. Resigned, Juruo passed over his turn. Remorselessly, Eternia signalled for her dragon to attack. The beast roared, as silver fire began to form in its maw, before raining it down upon Juruo. Instinctively, Juruo threw his hands up in front of his face.

The pain in Juruo’s arm finally ceased, and the outside of his lower arm began to glow red, just as Stardust Dragon’s attack crashed down on him. The attack seemed... oddly painless too him. The duel shield must have suddenly stating working a lot more effectively, or perhaps he was already dead, and no longer capable of feeling pain. As the attack faded around him, Juruo poked his head through his arms. Eternia was looking incredulously at him, her duel shield fading away. The Stardust Dragon behind was leaning over menacingly, as it began to fade as well, the duel was over. Ignoring his duel shield’s reading (LP: 0), Juruo looked down at what Eternia seemed to be staring at, and jumped. Blazing through his jacket sleeve, shining brightly, was a red tattoo, depicting a dragons head. Panic stricken he rolled up the sleeve, and there, etched deep into his arm, was this glowing red mark. Somewhere seemingly far away, Eternia croaked into speaking, she sounded strangely afraid.

“A... signer? No... You can’t be... You are weak... You are not worthy.”

Juruo glanced up and jumped, Eternia was floating towards him again, reaching out to him. The world around them was turning dark and stormy, the energy wall around them becoming increasingly turbulent, and inky black. Lightning flashed across the sky overhead. Staggering backwards out of her reach, Juruo tried to run, but he had lost all strength over the match. Falling helplessly, Eternia was getting closer and closer.

A thunderbolt shot from the sky above, crashing between the two. Eternia froze, her face drained of all colour, a look of complete terror etched deep on her.

“No, please, not yet, don’t take me yet. I must, I will, signer or not, exact my revenge on this child.” Ignoring the lightening, and the thunder rumbling overhead, Eternia grabbed Juruo by the throat, pulling him upright. He closed his eyes, fearing the worst.

There was a second crash of thunder, followed by an unnatural, mind numbing scream, the grip on him was suddenly released. Opened his eyes, Juruo gasped in horror as Eternia staggered backwards, screaming at the top of her lungs, as she stared at the place her arm should be, as it started to fade into thin air. A sick sensation filled him, but he was unable to tear his eyes away as she lashed violently at invisible demons, as her body slowly started to vanish. The seconds dragged on, until finally mercifully, the screams stopped, and she was gone. Perhaps this was her punishment, for interfering in matters she had to stay out of that she had been talking about. Juruo’s stomach lurched at the thought of what might happen to her, and forced him to double over, the experience of being here finally being able to take its toll now that he no longer appeared in immediate mortal danger.

The head shaped mark on his arm began to glow again, as violently as before. Weakly, gasping heavily, Juruo stared at it. He didn’t understand. Then he looked across at where Eternia had been standing. There, on the ground, were several glowing shapes, lying on the ground. One of the glows rose, and shot towards him in a stream of white light, towards his open hand. Juruo stared at it, awestruck, as the light began to fade, revealing the form of a card, the magnificent Stardust Dragon. Nervously, feeling slightly humbled, he placed the card into his duel shields extra deck. There was a flash, as two more glows shot skywards, into the sky that was still filled with dark clouds of turbulent, swirling energy. Juruo couldn’t take any more of this. Exhausted, he rolled onto his back, his vision faded, and he collapsed.

Gasping and spluttering, Juruo bolted upright, blinking in the sudden gloom. Blind, he reached out in all directions, finding cold, solid stone underneath and to the left of him. The back of his head felt oddly tender. Trying to regain calm, he waited for his eyes to adjust to the gloom. There was a little light, coming from a couple of candles floating hazily in the distance. Confused, Juruo crawled towards them, until he was forced to stop by a trellis of cold, iron bars. Suddenly, everything came flooding back at once. He was in Demon’s stronghold, presumably in some sort of dungeon. He must have been bought here while he was unconscious. Wait, why had he been unconscious? He knew he was awake at the end of the duel; he had been looking at the sky outside where he had seen... something. Damn, there were still holes. He winced as he felt the back of his head throb again. Why had he been unconscious?

“Sabin? Hikari? Are you there?” he called out beyond the bars. There was no response. “Mel? Eri...”

Juruo stopped. Erin? His hands tightened around the bars, as the rest of his memory, that had been trying to bury itself in a corner of his brain to avoid the pain of remembering, reluctantly returned to him. That was why he was out. Erin had knocked him down after she had cost him the duel, he must have hit his head on the floor. What else? He vaguely thought of Erin’s last words to him, ‘my love’. Well that couldn’t be right, given his current situation. He ran his hands through his hair, trying to remember what else.

It was only then he noticed the weight difference between his arms. Blinking, he looked at his left arm. His duel shield was still attached. That was really odd. If Demon and Erin had locked him up, why on earth would they let him keep his duel shield? He picked the cards out of the deck slot, there were more than usual. Flicking through them, he scratched his head as he looked over the Debris Dragon, Unibird, and Cyberdark Edge. Memories of the duel against Eternia came back to him. It had only been a few minutes ago, but that had been some horrible nightmare while he was unconscious, right? Or some kind of out of body experience? Putting thoughts of Erin and Demon on hold for now, he knew he could at least get to the bottom of this. Returning the cards to the shield, he slowly pulled up his right jacket sleeve. There, no longer glowing, instead a dark crimson outline, was the mark of the dragons head.

There was a groan behind him. Heart stopped, skin prickled, Juruo froze, and there was someone else in the cell with him. Someone who hadn’t responded to his calls a minute ago. Whoever it was, they sounded in pain. Turning and squinting into the gloom, he vaguely made out a figure, hunched up at the back of the cell.

“Who’s there?”

The figure seemed to turn, poking its head up as it heard his call. Slowly, the figure shuffled towards him, crawling awkwardly. As he came into the candle light, Juruo’s heart stopped. It couldn’t be. The fine tunic, which had been reduced to rags. The braided green hair, that was dirty and falling out in places. The figure continued to crawl, towards the bars towards his left, not seeming to be able to find him. He reached helplessly for bars. Juruo leaned over and put a hand on his old ally’s shoulder, turning him towards him. Gulping, he slowly waved his hand back and forth in front of the man’s face.

Aerial’s pupils did not follow. They simply stared past him, empty and unseeing.

[spoiler=____________]

I'm a cruel bugger aren't I?

Ok as this is a spoiler to those who haven't read it yet.

[spoiler=---]

Seriously signers? And I thought this would be a totaly unrelated fan-fic. Honestly I could've accepted him getting a Signer Dragon, but why make him a Signer? And also SD, really the main character getting SD again? A bit predictable don't you think?

Anywho, besides that part is was quite a good chapter.

[spoiler=_]Ehm... the above two posts basically say all that I would like to say. The Signer business here was basically just... DO NOT WANT. And I did not like shoving Eternia down like that. Seriously, do you have something against all my favorite characters?

Overall, chapter was good, duel was good... but just like in 5Ds, the moment that Stardust Dragon appeared, everything pretty much started going downhill... The last part was actually quite good but... blergh.

I know that perhaps you'll say I'm a hypocrite for saying this while having used the Signer plot in Dead Zone, but there's a crucial difference. The Signer Dragons and their connection to certain people had been established from the relative beginning. Here, I originally liked how they were just special creatures used by Eternia, and they were definitely a very nice flavor addition to the storyline, but involving them further and all this Signer business this far down the plot was just a no-no. Sorry. And Eternia being struck down by an almighty god thunderbolt because she dared lay a hand on the ever so perfect Juruo did not make things better. I'm afraid I must remind you that you are still pushing Juruo down the Mary Sue road, and making him a Signer was by far the largest step so far.

Btw, the Signers are those who are chosen by the Crimson Dragon to fight the Earthbound Gods every 5000 years (hence the Dark Signers). The term itself was coined by Yliaster, it seems, and is not a blanket term for deus-ex-machina saviors of the world. Best to keep that in mind.

...since everyone else commented already, I'll just go spoiler-less.

Yeah, I kinda don't see why the Signer bit was necessary and with him getting Stardust, but that was my only gripe.

The rest of the chapter was great and I thought that was one of the best duels you've written, in my opinion. And for some reason, I actually liked Aerial, so it's good to see he's alive.

The rest of the chapter was great and I thought that was one of the best duels you've written, in my opinion. And for some reason, I actually liked Aerial, so it's good to see he's alive.

Yeah, I definitely agree with the duel being one of the best. And Aerial's appearance was also pretty nice, I did not expect him to pop up back into the story like that, and I look forward to how it will play out.

owch

Sorry guys, originally, it was going to be signer-less. As I said I started writing this before watching 5D's and then watching it and seeing how pretty iconic they are. I just liked what being a signer stood for, united team against the odds like. And what with the battles ahead and all and wanting those to (hopefully) go down in spectacular fashion, I thought I'd need the dragons as awesome trumps.

That does not mean Juruo and the other signers are going to win all their duels using them to get out of impossible jams every time by any means.

Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry...

Oh god a few of the next few chapters have some very signer (explanatory,etc) stuff in them, but I'll to keep it from being an overwhelming thing now.

Note about Aerial: The first of a few reappearing characters... didn't realise he was so popular... (which means I'll get it again next chapter)

Now that you threw it out there, you have no choice but to stick to it. It'd have been better if there was no direct (or indirect) relation to the 5Ds storyline, since nothing of the sort was hinted for so long, but now that there is, you just have to make the best out of it.

Seriously, though, 5Ds did not have a good plot. Everything after the Dark Signer arc ended was garbage implementation of good ideas, and even before, from around the time Crow jumped into the fray, it was pretty miffy. So, be careful with the ideas you get from there. They need extreme filtering and reworks to be reasonable.

...and, your last post confirmed my fear that everyone else is gonna be receiving Signer powers as well. Before, I was at least hoping you would restrict it to Juruo, as some sort of 'background-special-thing', rather than spread it out (although that might have increased Juruo's relative sue-ness. Hmm)

Now that you threw it out there, you have no choice but to stick to it. It'd have been better if there was no direct (or indirect) relation to the 5Ds storyline, since nothing of the sort was hinted for so long, but now that there is, you just have to make the best out of it.

Seriously, though, 5Ds did not have a good plot. Everything after the Dark Signer arc ended was garbage implementation of good ideas, and even before, from around the time Crow jumped into the fray, it was pretty miffy. So, be careful with the ideas you get from there. They need extreme filtering and reworks to be reasonable.

...and, your last post confirmed my fear that everyone else is gonna be receiving Signer powers as well. Before, I was at least hoping you would restrict it to Juruo, as some sort of 'background-special-thing', rather than spread it out (although that would increase Juruo's relative sue-ness. Hmm)

Yeah I know I have to stick with it now. There will be nothing else 5D related I swear.

Like you said, I don't want to just power up Juruo. Not that Sabin/Hikari, etc can't win without being signers.

Also, what else could I do with Eternia? She clearly wasn't going to forgive Juruo or let him go.

You could've made her change her mind. Since, you know, Juruo's reasoning wasn't unreasonable either. It would've been much better than some divine retribution for daring to hurt him. Personally, I thought the whole duel was leading up to that kind of conclusion, for which the appropriate setup was there.

She didn't have to be defeated. It would actually be better if she won, but then she ended up seeing Juruo's reasoning was correct. That would make her both powerful, ruthless and vindictive, but also wise and just. But now she ended up as a deus-ex-machina curb-stomped by an even bigger deus-ex-machina =(

Right. How often in the series haven't we seen a complete heel-turn from the baddies as soon as they were beaten in a duel?

To be honest komma, this is one of the things I despise about the YGO anime. Every major baddie turns out alright in the end.

Pegasus, Marik (although in fairness he was possessed), Noah, Kagemuru, Sartorius, Yubel, Rex, Roman, (can't say any further than that 5Ds wise, only up as far as the dubbed 104) all ended up 'sorry I tried to take over / destroy the world, hey lets be friends'... <_<

I like the majority of my baddies to remain baddies, and goodies to remain goodies, mostly. Although the below quote, I can agree it could have gone that way on this occasion.

PS: Heel turn is going from goodie to baddie, face change is going baddie to goddie (I think, using mates WWE terminology)

She didn't have to be defeated. It would actually be better if she won, but then she ended up seeing Juruo's reasoning was correct. That would make her both powerful, ruthless and vindictive, but also wise and just. But now she ended up as a deus-ex-machina curb-stomped by an even bigger deus-ex-machina =(

You have seen Dogma right? You can't prove a god wrong, or reality collapses!

*clutching at straws to argue back with lol*

I may have missed a trick here with Eternia and this chapter in general. Been rewriting bits of the next few chapters to adapt to feedback and get away from the unintended 5Dsness a bit. Hopefully I can bring things back up in the next few chapters... and destroy even more of Saber's favourite characters... trolololol

Archived