Yu-Gi-Oh! Armageddon (PG13) - Finished

Since you said you're not caught up with 5Ds, I'll throw this out here for you now that it's early. It is very spoilerific, but it does have some Signer / Signer dragon related information that could influence your plot. Up to you to decide if you want to read it, just in case, or ignore it altogether. Either way is fine by me - in fact, this last-minute subplot was one of the things I hated about the ending of the anime.

[spoiler=_]There are actually more than 5 Signer Dragons. My guess is that Signer Dragons aren't necessarily 'standard', and they're simply materializations of the Crimson Dragon's power - hence the transformations into Savior forms etc. For example, you already know how Crow got the Blackfeather Dragon, and when he became a Signer, Blackfeather Dragon was acknowledged as the fifth Signer Dragon. But then, there was a different dragon in Ruka's vision back in early 5Ds. You could say that that dragon was gone, dead or otherwise (which would be correct), and it was then 'replaced' by Blackfeather Dragon. However, making things more confusing, in a future vision (which I don't know if you've seen) we see Blackfeather Dragon appear even further back than that battle. And finally, later on, it is revealed that this dragon that had appeared in Ruka's vision was actually sealed within the form of Power Tool Dragon. Then Rua became a deus ex machina Signer and unleashed that dragon, namely Life Stream Dragon, from within its armor. So there are basically six Signers and six Dragons... in a show called 5Ds.

...yeah, as I typed it, I realized how much better it would be if you completely ignored that part...

This latest chapter was good, we needed that exposition, and Seishin reappearing was quite welcome as well. It does kinda look like you're recycling the earlier plotline of "hero group travels, villains chase after them, stuff happens", but you made it exciting the first time, so I'm looking forward to it regardless. Also:

[spoiler=Predictions]Yume - Ancient Fairy Dragon

Erin - Blackfeather Dragon

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I'm only 105 episodes into 5D's (I just can't get on with subs, everyone has the same deep voice, how skint are the animators?) I am aware of some of that, certainly of LSD and Leo becoming a Signer. I find it ridiculous how a dragon needs a creature for its summoning requirements that won't be created for nearly 5000 years later!? I find with Synchro's the requirements are either too easy (Brionac, BRD especially) or they are taken too literally from the anime, giving you ridiculous combos (like Dark Diviner and others that will be seen later)

Imagine if in the anime, Yusei had used Junk Synchron and Earthquake Giant to summon SDD for first time. It would probably have ended up 1 DARK Tuner + 1 Rock-type non-Tuner! (just to exaggerate my point)

When you said, better if you ignored that part, you mean in relation to your story. I'm trying to stay away from the Crimson Dragon as much as possible.

Regarding plot, it is a direct sprint back to capital for them now (against the clock) however with the other group involved it should break up the action nicely, I hope.

I can see the logic in your predictions...

[spoiler=Chapter 37]

Chapter 37 - From the Ashes

As the servant entered the large throne room, he couldn’t help but quiver. He knew full feel what happened to the bearer of bad news to the Emperor.

As he approached the throne, he was surprised to discover that the ruler was not sat facing him. The great stone chair had been turned, facing away from the entrance. How could that have happened? Well, it was a trivial concern right now. He could see the Emperor was standing behind the royal chair, with his back to him. The poor man shook as he unfurled his note.

“My lord, I have a letter for you from Governor Pallas, concerning... er... don’t take this the wrong way... his... resignation from his position.” Point made, the man couldn’t stop himself from burying his head in his arms, expecting some sort of missile, physical or verbal. Neither came. Instead, the Emperor just... chuckled to himself.

“Do not fear my servant. I am not upset by this inevitable news.” The man shuddered as Nero spoke, his voice seemed different; deeper and darker, and more menacing. “Tell me, did the fat oaf disclose any reasons for his leave?”

“Er, um, yes” the man said in fits and starts, unable to believe his luck. “He actually cited several reasons. Let’s see, the sharp hike in royal taxes, and their bringing forward. The refusal of repair work to the riot damage done to the main power supplies to the slums that happened a few days ago. There are several other similar things. Then... this one at the bottom.” The man paused as he read it over. "I’ll quote, you might understand what he’s talking about, ahem. ‘Your foolish alliance with... Demon has intoxicated you and... ga...aa”

The man clutched at his throat, struggling for breath, before collapsing to the floor.

Somewhere outside a small village about thirty miles south of Sen’nenki no Toride, three figures sat around a campfire, their two duel runners parked upright just by their shared tent. Luca casually took the pot that had been resting on the fire, and poured its soupy contents into three bowls. Clearly, their new ‘partner’ had been well prepared for their journey to the capital. He was currently sat against the tent, staring up at the dark sky above with Tyrana. She was frowning deeply.

The trio had left the second city as soon as lockdown was relieved the previous evening and ridden pretty much solidly since, stopping only to eat and sleep. During their travel, they couldn’t help but notice in the sky above. When they had left their masked ally’s hideout the previous night, they had noticed a third fireball had appeared during the day at some point, whilst they were in hiding. Then around midday today, while they were journeying, Luca had chanced to look up at the ominous inferno above (since he was the one not driving) and had yelled at the sight of the emergence of a fourth ball of orange flame, increasing in size until it matched the other, floating high above the clouds, leering down at the world below them with goodness knows what intentions. The fires had started to take on a slightly curved line of formation. Luca wondered if that was mere coincidence, or a design of purpose.

Still staring upwards, Luca walked over to the other two with a bowl for each. Tyrana accepted it gratefully, their ally merely nodded curtly. Luca joined them, and began to eat. His attention became fixed on the black clad vigilante. So far they had still not been given a name to refer to him as, and he had not removed his black and yellow helmet, not even to sleep. His distrust was infuriating. Luca could hear him scowl under his helmet as he dared him to remove it for his soup. The masked man spun around, flicking up his visor, and began to eat with his back to them.

“Come on, is that necessary?” Luca started, enraged by this behaviour. “If we are going to help each other, there does need to be some trust. Like giving us our duel disks back, and a name to refer to you as, rather than just ‘hey you’ all the time.”

“I will give you these things when it becomes relevant” was the reply. The man’s tone was still stern and blunt, but less distorted now, perhaps the raised visor had switched off his voice scrambler. “For now, we still are not what I would call a team. We are merely people with a common interest, in a greater enemy.”

“And that enemy would be?” Luca asked, finishing his soup.

“Whoever is responsible for the fires in the sky above. Whether that is the Emperor, or if my suspicions are correct, a force operating behind the Emperor, we shall find out, and do what we can to stop the impending disaster that many feel we could be on the verge of.”

“Well, whatever the case, you’re going to have to take off the helmet if we’re going to get into the city.” Tyrana put down her empty bowl. “You aren’t the most subtle looking person riding in there like that.”

The black clad rider smiled to himself. “I have our entrance to the city arranged. I know the guardsman; he will let us through without trouble.”

“Another bribe?”

“No, a favour from a friend.” He downed the remainder of his meal, before flicking the visor back down and turning back to the duo, his voice scrambler back in effect. “Besides, I want us to be seen. The image of three duelists roaming the streets of the capital will cause a reaction.”

“Yeah, that will see us surrounded by guards in ten minutes.” There was a pause as the man considered his response to Tyrana.

“Possibly, we’ll just see. Now let’s get some sleep. I call first watch.” Conversation over, Luca and Tyrana made their way inside their small tent, leaving the masked rider to douse the fire and take up his vigil for the next few hours.

At daybreak next morning, Tyrana stirred the others, and after a quick breakfast the group packed up and left. The walls of the capital came into sight half an hour later, a giant stone creation with many towers and gates, a traditional style of city wall. The masked rider accelerated at the sight, his sleek black runner silently reaching new heights of speed, it took Tyrana a lot of effort to keep up. The gates were just starting to open for the morning’s trade vehicles that bought supplies in and took exports away across the Empire. The black runner continued to speed towards the city gates, seemingly oblivious to the number of guards that Luca and Tyrana imagined would be waiting for them.

Indeed as they approached, a figure could be seen waving them down. An older guardsman with a neatly trimmed beard, the morning sun glinting of his silver chainmail, was standing at the gates. The black runner finally slowed down, stopping just beside the man. The rider flicked up his visor and started chatting to the guard. Tyrana pulled up the second runner beside him. The guard looked over at her and Luca, a frown etched on his face.

“Trust me Warren; they are going to help me. When your shift is finished, I’ll meet you and your other friends, the Red Lion perhaps? By then I should be able to give you more firm details.”

The guard Warren nodded, giving the rider a time of six o’clock, before marching back inside his little guardhouse built into the wall. Tyrana stared open mouthed at the rider, as he flicked his visor back down. “Explanation?”

“Warren is a family friend who, like many of his regiment, grows disillusioned with the Empire. He will be a great help, but we can only convince him to join us if we can provide him with a plan of action and solid foundations to succeed, rather than just pipe dreams. We shall come to that later, but there is one more thing I need to do before we start our preparations. I trust you won’t mind a slight detour?”

Tyrana nodded, and the two runners set off again, at a much more restrained pace on these narrow city roads in the slums. This was the first time Luca and Tyrana had been to the capital, they had heard stories, but seeing was truly believed, and made the plight of the Empires oppression much more real. The slums were an awful place. Houses falling into disrepair, children in old, ill-fitting clothes playing in the streets which were mostly empty besides. A few people had begun to either trudge to work or to town, each face depicted misery and suffering. Some looked over the three people riding duel runners, pointing and whispering to each other. Luca gulped as he saw a woman in rags, covered in filth, begging in the street. The helmeted rider’s voice came over the intercom. “The living conditions are better as we get closer to the city centre, but this is the true face of the Empire. This is what you have been fighting against since you became the resistance. Take a good look at them, and then look up at the sky. Tell me you can hear your spirit calling to you to take a stand.”

The convoy continued through the city streets, through the shopping district, and into another borough of housing, although basic, they were much more accommodating than the slums. These streets were largely empty, except for the odd passerby or guard in uniform. Upon seeing this, the helmeted rider led his followers down an alley, and parked his runner. “Wait here, I shall be back shortly” he told them, before walking out into the streets.

“Well?” Tyrana asked as Luca dismounted, stretching his legs. “You want to follow him don’t you?”

“You know me too well” Luca grinned at his partner. Tyrana huffed at his boyish smirk, but she also dismounted, she was curious about this man’s actions.

Cautiously they began trailing him down two streets, until he stopped outside a larger house, a stately old place that had been converted into some sort of home. The rider approached one of the windows, and looked inside. Shaking his head, he moved on to the next window, then around the side. Luca and Tyrana got closer, walking up to the large house. There was a sign over the door, ‘Orphanage’. The two followed their masked associate around to the side, where he was now standing stationery, looking through a window. He did not move as the two approached him, not even responding as Tyrana looked into the room. The room was a downstairs bedroom, with pink wallpaper and a bunk bed in the corner. They could not see the child asleep on the top bunk, but on the bottom bunk lying facing towards them was a tanned, freckled girl with long black hair, soundly asleep, tightly clutching an old teddy bear.

“I thought I told you to wait” the helmet croaked.

“We were expecting trouble since you insist on walking around looking like that” the flame haired punk answered. “I take it from the longing stare that helmet is hiding that you know her?”

The helmet nodded, not turning to look at the two. “Her... our... father was recently killed, during a resistance attack on the palace. I was in Sennen’Yama at the time, so I only recently heard she was taken in here. Apparently she went missing for a day or two and was found in a village with minor amnesia, but the guards who served with our father, including Warren, knew she was missing, and went to get her when the village doctor contacted the authorities about her appearance. She’s been here since.”

“Your father served in the guard... does that mean?” Tyrana knew the answer before the rider could give it; it was common for sons to follow in their father’s footsteps. The helmet nodded glumly.

“Yes, I am also a member of the royal guard, or at least I was. I served in this city, but was transferred to Sennen’Yama six months ago...”

Luca put a hand on the man’s shoulder. “Is this what you meant about not associating with ‘criminals like us’, and all that?”

“Yes” the helmet sounded resigned to reveal the truth at this point. “You will probably not be surprised by now, but I was involved in your arrest, you probably saw me in the melee. This is why I haven’t revealed my face to you, because I know once I do, you’ll recognise me, you’ll despise me, and you’ll leave. I cannot allow that to happen. Believe me, I am no longer in the service of our wretched ruler, he lost me when my father died fighting over this stupid oppression. Then the fires appeared, and I knew I would have to do something, no matter how impossible it might seem, I had to take a stand. I need you to help me fight the Emperor. Without you, I cannot hope to accomplish what needs to be done. I need you to get me into this cities former resistance headquarters, where we can form a base, to spark a revolution in the city, one that will bring the Empire down, and bring down the curtain hiding those responsible for the fire above, that some claim to signal the end of the world. I hope we can put our differences aside for the time being, and unite as a greater force against the greater enemy.”

Luca and Tyrana exchanged glances. Luca expected his partner to be furious with this development, given how short tempered she could be at the best of times, but she seemed oddly calm. “I think we need a good long chat when we find the headquarters. Now are you getting your sister out or not?”

“I... didn’t think to... it’s safer she stays...” the helmet started. His voice ground to a halt as the girl in the bedroom started to stir. Blearily she wiped her sleepy eyes, and without looking out the window, shuffled out into the corridor, hugging the teddy bear for grim death. Tyrana put her hand on the man’s other shoulder, and nodded.

“Come on, you obviously want to be with her... and she’d want to be with you. Years ago, before I met Luca, my big sister left town, and I’ve lost contact with her. I know how it feels to miss someone.”

The man considered this for a moment, then raised his hands to his helmet, slowly pulling it off. Free from the mask, the man behind it was quite handsome, had it not been for the frown - a lightly tanned face with spiky maroon hair, that kind of spiked back at the top but forward at the sides, in kind of a sharp S shape. His grey eyes looked resolute. He nodded, and headed to the front door.

Twenty minutes later, Luca and Tyrana were waiting on their duel runner, when their new ally emerged round the corner of the alleyway, holding the hand of his beaming little sister. She had platted her hair into two pigtails, and changed from her pyjamas into a simple shirt and dress. In her free hand was her teddy, in her older brothers was a small bag full of her things.

“You gonna introduce us?” Luca asked, smiling. The rider nodded curtly, a brief smile flickered across his face.

“Sister, these are... my friends, Luca and Tyrana. They’re going to help me make those scary things in the sky go away, and make this city a better place to live in. Guys, this is my little sister Carla, and... my name...” The man paused, as the little girl jumped forward, grabbing Luca’s hand.

“Hi, I’m Carla” she repeated cheerily, her grey eyes swelling with excitement and happiness. “Sorry about my big bro bro Dom, he can be a bit surly and upright, but he’s cool really, aren’t you big bro?” Carla positively bounced onto the black duel runner, as her brother ran a hand through his hair.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right small person.” Carla folded her arms and frowned at the use of the pet name, which made the brother smile. “Guys, my name is Dominik.”

Dominik extended a hand, which Luca took, to pull him into a huddle.

“Bit of a steep promise, friend?”

The spiky haired rider frowned at him, speaking in a hushed whisper. “One I intend to keep, with your help. I trust you know we are friends around Carla, soldiers in arms otherwise.” The boys nodded in unison, before Dominik strode over to his runner, placing his now redundant helmet in a storage compartment and revving up the silent engine, Carla yelling in delight as she grabbed him. “Now, we head for the Resistance headquarters. You know how to get in?”

“We know one way. We got instructions from the leader here should we ever need them. Let’s go.”

The four found themselves riding through the waterways a short while later. The way in involved breaking into an abandoned duel runner garage, put out of business by the Empire, and left in a decrepit state in the Hamon slums. The back room of the garage had been converted by the Resistance into a lift, almost the whole floor served as a lowering platform, the lift mechanisms hidden in the walls. After a short descent, the four found themselves in the grand waterway network, and the small, deserted town developed here underground. Rooms were built into the stone support, but they were all locked. The bikes pulled up by a large empty area in the centre of the network, a section of stone surrounded by water, with a small stand to their left. The floor had markings for duels, an old training area. The group sat in the stands, considering the place. Carla was looking around, swinging her feet back and forth on her seat, whilst the others sat in a slight huddle.

“Could probably house two hundred or so down here, if you crammed them in” Dominik said, glancing around at the surrounding rooms. “It seems abandoned. Anyone not involved on the night of the raid must have given up and fled the place. Wish they’d left a set of keys somewhere for us though.”

“So what do we do now?” Luca asked.

“We start recruiting people who want to get rid of the Empire. In the current climate, there’s no shortage of them. I hope later today I can convince a significant amount of the guard to throw down their arms with the Emperor and side with us. Also...” Dominik was cut off by a scream from Carla. Bolting upright, he and the others stared down at the training arena.

Mist was starting to gather from the water, and engulf one half of one of the duel fields. The white mist gathered and rose upwards, slowly starting to contort and solidify into shapes, of two figures. Slowly, agonizingly, the figures lurched forward, each step taking a great effort, as they became denser, more solid human shapes as the approached from the far side of the field.

“Looks like trouble” Luca started. “You think you trust us enough yet to let us handle it?”

“Be my guest” Dominik replied, pulling a key out of his pocket and passing it to him. He and Tyrana sprinted down the side of the stand to the parked runners, unlocking the compartment their shields had been hidden in, eyes not leaving the swirling mist that was continuing to form ghostly apparitions of two men, the fine details of their persons starting to take shape. Duel shields armed, the duo ran over to the duel field, between Dominik and Carla in the stand, and where the two wraithlike spirits were starting to move towards them from. One had taken the shape of an old man, with a long beard and hair, wearing fine robes and carrying a long thin sword at his waist. The other was taller and much broader, a shirtless man with dreadlocked hair falling across his bearded face. Over his back a huge sword was slung. Both ghosts were armed with duel shields which, at the sight of apparent opponents, they armed.

Tyrana frowned, this was bizarre, but these spirits looked hostile. Lights on her shield and that of the wizened samurai started to flash, alternating between green and red, to indicate the first turn. The green stopped on Tyrana, however she relinquished control to her partner.

“Usual strategy Luca, you go first. If they want to fight, let’s give them one.” Luca nodded his agreement, as their ghostly opponents set themselves.

“Let’s duel!”

“Alright, my partner has given me the opening move. I draw” Luca smiled at the immediate appearance of his main card, a key to their team strategy, Abyss Soldier. Luca’s deck revolved around it, along with similar cards like Gale Lizard and Giant Trunade, to force cards on the field back into the hand of one of the duelists they’d face. The action would pass to the other opponent, who would be limited by an emptier hand, leaving a clear path for Tyrana and a stampede of her high attack monsters.

“I summon Abyss Soldier to the field in attack mode.” A trident carrying warrior resembling a whale with humanoid arms and legs erupted though a portal of bubbles, brandishing its weapon impressively (ATK: 1800). “Then I place one card face down and end my turn. Let’s see what you got.”

The dreadlocked warrior looked over to his partner and nodded. Much to Luca’s horror, the samurai nodded back. Whoever the ghosts, which is what he assumed they were, they were not mindless undead, they were communicating. His second shock was the samurai opened his mouth, and explaining his moves as they followed, in an empty, ghostlike tone.

“My partner has signalled that I go first. I begin with the spell card Six Samurai United. Each time a Six Samurai monster is summoned, one bushido counter is placed on this card. Then I shall summon Six Samurai Yaichi.” An archer in traditional dark samurai armour, tinged with a yellow pattern, stood tall and pulled back its bow (ATK: 1300) “Next I shall bring out the Grandmaster of the Six Samurai beside him.” An old swordsman with an eye patch stood beside the archer (ATK: 2100). Luca frowned, they couldn’t attack ,but now there were two...

“Yaichi activates his ability. By sacrificing an attack he could never conduct, he destroys one face down card you control.” The samurai’s bowman took aim and fired, an arrow of light piercing the face down card which shattered into bits. Luca jumped, dismayed to lose the powerful Poseidon Waves trap card. The old warrior ignored his reaction. “Now I shall send my Six Samurai United to the graveyard, and draw cards equal to the two counters upon it. I place one of these cards face down and surrender my turn to you.”

“I’m up then” Tyrana drew her sixth card, looking over her hand. The samurai had made a big opening play and retained a hand at the same time; she would struggle to match him. There were a lot of tools for a big move further down the line, but nothing that would get her in a position to make it. She’d have to search for materials, and put up some defence from that powerful grandmaster. “I summon Jurrac Velo in attack and place three cards face down.” A muscular dinosaur of human height charged through the ring of fire beside Tyrana, its brightly coloured body shaking as it roared (ATK: 1700).

“My turn” the dreadlocked barbarian said slowly, his voice was deep and brooding. “First I activate the ability of Yaichi, destroying a face down card.” A second arrow struck home but, to Tyrana’s relief, this one had hit a decoy spell she was willing to sacrifice. “Now as the last player to move, I am the first who can attack. To do this, I summon Gladiator Beast Laquari.” The barbarian’s warrior resembled a tiger, standing on its hind legs, wearing silver body armour and gauntlets, shaking a thick mane of brown hair (ATK: 1800). With incredible speed and ferocity, the tigers claws sank into Velo, destroying it (LP: 3900)

“I use Velo’s ability. When destroyed, I can summon anther Jurrac from my deck. Jurrac Guaiba.” A dinosaur with the same red, yellow and blue body pattern as the former emerged, this one had a long, spiny neck and similar strength.

“Grandmaster Samurai, attack” shouted the barbarian. The master swordsman struck with fury. All heads turned as Tyrana shouted in pain. The heat, the energy from the battle, flashed towards her smashing into her shield, knocking her back a step (LP: 3500). She felt her shield arm, it stung slightly.

“What the hell?” she shouted at the two ghosts. “What is this?”

The barbarian, seemingly oblivious to her, carried on with his turn. “After battle, the effect of Laquari activates, returning to my deck to tag summon Gladiator Beast Hoplomus.” The tiger creature disappeared, and a rhino in thick white armour that covered every inch of him appeared in its place. “When tag summoned in this fashion, my beasts gain additional effects. In this case, Hoplomus gains an additional three hundred defences points (DEF: 2400). I equip my monster with the equip spell Gladiator Beast Battle Manica and then two face downs. Your move.”

[spoiler=Summary - End Turn 4]

Luca & Tyrana - FR: Abyss Soldier. BR: Two face downs. Tyrana’s hand: 2 LP: 3500

Ghosts - FR: Yaichi, Grandmaster, Hoplomus. BR: Three face downs. Barbarian’s hand: 2 LP: 4000

In the stand behind the two duelists, Carla turned to her brother, looking concerned. He was sat there, a look of disturbance on his face. “Brother, are they okay? That attack looked like it really hurt Tyrana. I didn’t think attacks did that.”

“They don’t sis. Attacks should only leave a slight mental burn on the duelist’s mind that registers the attack, the strength of the burns depends on the monster attacking, and on the duelist’s will.” Dominik scowled as he looked down at the battle. “This match might be tougher than we thought.”

“The action is back with me” Luca cried as he drew with gusto. “I activate the effect of Abyss Soldier. By sending one water monster from my hand to the graveyard, one monster is returned to your hand. I’m choosing the Grandmaster Samurai.”

“Activate trap, Gladiator Beast War Chariot” the barbarian stated simply, revealing one of his face downs. “The effect of your monster is negated, and then the monster is destroyed.”

Damn it Luca thought, turning to his drawn card as the whale soldier sank in front of him, alongside with another card in his hand. Time to change tactics. “I summon Deep Sea Diva in attack mode, and use her effect to summon Spined Gillman from my deck. Then I tune the two together in a Synchro summon.” A half woman half fish creature and a trident wielding fishman appeared briefly, before being consumed by a column of blue light surrounded by stars. “Rise from the deep, Sea Dragon Lord Gishilnodon!” Luca’s monster appeared to be a living body of water in serpent form, rising from the canal behind them on its watery wings. The dragon screeched, its cry muted as though it was screaming from underwater (ATK: 2300). “Dragon Lord, take down the grandmaster.”

Luca’s jaw dropped as the stately samurai raised a misty eyebrow towards his partner, who nodded and revealed a card in his hand. “I activate the effect of Hedge Guard. By sending it to the graveyard, my partner’s monsters attack is halved, but it can no longer be destroyed by battle this turn.” A pale image of a wall of vines rose in front of the grandmaster (ATK: 1050) as the dragon released a jet of water from its mouth. Damage was done, but no destruction (LP: 2750). Luca exchanged a glance with his partner, her look of concern was probably mirroring his own state of panic. They felt they were an effective team, having known each other for years. But these guys, they had obviously spent a lifetime - and even beyond - doing this, they knew each other seamlessly. “I place one card face down and end my turn.”

“I begin my turn” proclaimed the samurai, drawing in a flat motion before studying his card intently. Adding to his hand, he went on, selecting and summoning another samurai, garbed in green robes and the standard shoulder plates and helm. The samurai raised his hand, and the monster leapt up beside the grandmaster, as the pair vanished behind a column of brown light “I tune Kagemusha_of_the_Six_Samurai with Grandmaster of the Six Samurai, to Synchro summon my mightiest warrior, Driven Daredevil.”

With an athletic leap the samurai’s Synchro monster entered the playing field. A masked sword swinger with shocking long blue hair, garbed in a tight stealth suit and light armour on the shoulders and lower legs. The mighty warrior carried a sword in each hand, as well as a Kwan Do on his back (ATK: 2400). “Daredevil, attack Sea Dragon Lord Gishilnodon.”

"Big mistake. When a level three or lower monster, like Kagemusha, is sent to the graveyard, Gishilnodon's attack becomes three thousand until the end of that turn." The aquatic dragon unleashed a ferious dragon.

"Daredevil, press on" roared the samurai. The daredevil leapt high above the dragon and fell upon it, collidied against its foe, pushing hard against it. Luca watched on as the dragon pushed back, but neither could best the other, despite the samurai's Life Points depleting (LP: 2150). Until, the samurai explained "Daredevil cannot be destroyed by battle with a monster with higher attack, and it destroys such a monster with its effect."

"Then I'll activate the trap Compulsory Evacuation Device, ejecting your monster from the field and back into your extra deck.”

“I counter with the trap Parry” the dreadlocked warrior opened his second face down in methodical fashion. “By returning a gladiator beast in my hand to my deck, your trap is negated and destroyed.” Luca gasped as the uninterrupted daredevil struck with both swords, slicing through the aquatic dragon. The dragon screamed and evaporated, leaving Luca wide open for the archer, pulling back an arrow.

There was a twang as the archer released, a swish as the light arrow soared through the air, a scream as it buried itself in Luca’s chest.

BTW: Question I really need answers to - How do people reading this feel if I were to use the anime effects of certain cards as opposed to their OCG/TCG effects?

[spoiler=My comment]Erm, Matt. You forgot "Gishilnodon's" effect, seeing as "Kagemusha" was a Lvl 2 (and therefor lower then lvl 3) monster, "Gishilnodon's" should have 3000 ATK. And even though "Driven Daredevil" would still destroy it by its effect, 'the samurai' should still get some battle damage.

Even so it was an amuzing chapter.

Oh, and I wouldn't mind seeing OCG cards.

Wow, quiet response to last chapter. I don't know, you say you wanted duels involving people other than Juruo then you don't comment when you get them. :lol:

Two weeks away from the end of the third arc, got a few days of to write the last few chapters. Just want you all to know how much of a pig the final duel is being. Making me very annoyed. (guilt trip into comments)

Anyway, 38 below.

[spoiler=Chapter 38]

Chapter 38 - Trial of the Warriors

Having spent most of the previous day driving north in the blazing heat, Juruo and Sabin were quietly relieved for it to be overcast today. There were dark clouds rumbling overhead, a slight drizzle in the air, one that might worsen during the day. Despite this it was still quite warm, Sabin hoped for rain to cool him down a bit.

“We’re looking for needles in a haystack you know” he said to Juruo, wiping his helmets visor. “These other signers could be anyone, anywhere. If we gamble all our time on this and can’t find them...”

Juruo sighed, feeling his now bandaged shoulder with a wince. “I know. But Seishin said that fate will see us come together, that those who show courage and fight against the Empire and the darkness will be granted the power of the dragons. The fight is most likely to take place at the capital, which is the most populated place in the Empire. All we can do is move forward and hope.”

“Thought you didn’t believe in all that fate stuff” Sabin raised an eyebrow at Juruo’s words. More had been revealed about Juruo’s ‘out of body’ experience last night. “To be honest, I don’t believe it either. Before I met you and Inpachi, I was destined for a life of crime and the gallows. Now I get to go in a big explosion instead.”

“That’s not funny” Juruo scowled, making Sabin laugh more.

“Chill out. Anyway, what’s keeping Hikari? Sooner we get going and find these Signers, the more time we’ll have to put a stop to the countdown.”

The two boys had left Hikari to finish dressing and return the room key on her way out. Shrugging, Juruo got off his runner and walked back into the motel where they had stayed the night, Sabin following behind him. It was only a small place, with about twelve rooms in total. The cost paid upfront of staying the night was minimal, and from the awful smell in the bathroom, and the very chewy breakfast, it was easy to see why. Climbing the stairs to the first floor they had been staying on, Juruo knocked on the door reading ‘B3’. Silence followed. Impatiently, Sabin pushed past, opening the door.

On the other side, Hikari was sat on one of the double beds, a sombre look of concern on her face. Sitting next to her, holding her hand, was a slim girl with long black hair and a slim figure, dressed all in black, her brown eyes staring emptily into the distance.

Tyrana shouted as her partner collapsed to one knee, clutching the light arrow producing through his chest. In the stand behind them, Dominik was holding his little sister Carla, his eyes wide with alarm. On the opposite side of the field, the two ghostly figures watched their opponent as he struggled for breath, feeling his body scream in pain. After a few seconds, the arrow faded into nothing, and the pain in Luca’s chest alleviated (LP: 2100).

The old, regal looking samurai ignored his opponent’s distress, solemnly, silently, placing one card face down and standing back to end his turn.

[spoiler=Summary - End Turn 6]

Luca & Tyrana - FR: -. BR: Two face downs. Luca’s hand: 2 LP: 2200

Ghosts - FR: Daredevil, Yaichi, Hoplomus. BR: Manica, two face downs. Samurai’s hand: 3 LP: 2150

“Luca, are you ok?” Tyrana stared horrified at her fallen partner.

“Don’t worry, I’ll live.” Luca staggered upright, still clutching his chest. “But I don’t get it, why do these attacks hurt so much?”

Tyrana didn’t know the answer to his question. She doubted very much the ghosts would explain either. Indeed, all they had said so far was details of their card effects and plays, conducting their turns, nothing else. They didn’t seem to react to them, taking neither concern nor twisted glee in what was happening in this match. But that didn’t matter to her right now. All that mattered was the damage they were taking was making this match more and more dangerous, and she would have to turn the tables and prevent the relentless assault. Better yet, she could conduct her own. She drew her card, and got the perfect monster to change things.

“Alright, let’s continue, and turn this duel round. I summon the tuner monster Jurrac Aeolo.” A tiny baby dinosaur still half in its egg, with its blue head and legs sticking through the shell appeared, spluttering a little fire from its mouth (ATK: 200). “Now I activate my dino’s effect, releasing it to bring back a level four Jurrac from the graveyard. I choose Jurrac Guaiba, and have him attack Yaichi.” The long necked lizard reappeared and unleashed a stream of fire from its jaws.

“I activate the continuous trap, Desperate Tag” countered the samurai. “When a monster is destroyed by battle, I can reduce all damage I take to zero, then special summon a warrior from my hand. I summon Six Samurai Zanji.” A samurai in orange armour brandishing a whip appeared (ATK: 1800). Luca groaned in dismay. In the stand, Carla gasped in worry, and Dominik scowled in frustration. But a small smile flicked across Tyrana’s face. This was perfect.

“Since you need to have two samurai on the field to use their effects, I figured you’d have something like that. I activate the trap card Hunting_Instinct. I can only activate it when you special summon a monster, but then, then I get to special summon any dinosaur I have in my hand. And wouldn’t you know it, I just happen to have a particularly strong one waiting to tear through you. Go, Jurrac Tyrannus!” The enormous carnivore charged through its flaming portal, towering over the other monsters. Similar to its prehistoric icon, the red skinned raptor let back its head and roared, flames licking from its mouth as it did (ATK: 2500). “Next Guaiba’s effect activates, summoning another Jurrac from my deck when it destroys a monster by battle. I choose Jurrac Monoloph, giving me a level three tuner. Then I activate Urgent Tuning to tune Monoloph and Guaiba during the battle phase, Synchro summoning Jurrac Giganoto.” The waterways shook as the second giant dinosaur appeared, a blue skinned predator with yellow head and limbs (ATK: 2100)

Luca smiled through the exhaustion the pain had induced. “Great move Tyrana, two of your strongest in one turn.” Smiling, Tyrana flicked at her fringe, as the two ghosts stood firm, silently watching the two mighty predators.

“Of course. Now for a show of absolute power. Giganoto activates his effect, raising the attack of every Jurrac in play by the number of Jurrac’s in the graveyard times two hundred. Currently there are Guaiba, Velo, Aeolo and Monoloph.” Both dinosaurs roared as their attacks rose to 2900 and 3300 respectively. In the stand, Carla jumped and clapped in delight, but Dominik continued to look intense and concerned as Tyrana commanded the charge. “Tyrannus attacks Zanji.” Fire engulfed the warrior.

“Desperate Tag activates, nullifying the damage, and summoning Six Samurai Kamon from my hand.” The appearance of the samurai in thick red armour carrying explosives didn’t bother Tyrana much. It was emptying the samurai’s hand. If Luca could capitalize and force everything on the field back into the barbarian’s, then he wouldn’t have anything to fight back with.

“Giganoto, attack Kamon.” The second giant dinosaur roared and unleashed its fiery breath.

“Activate Shift. This changes the attack to a different target. I select Gladiator Beast Hoplomus.” The armoured rhino charged to intercept the attack. Tyrana gasped as it stood firm, holding its ground.

“How?”

“Because it is equipped with Battle Manica, so it is not destroyed by battle” the barbarian explained. “Now you have no monsters left to attack, and because my monster was involved in battle, I can tag it out to summon Gladiator Beast Spartacus.” A gray skinned dinosaur, wearing spiked shoulder pads and carrying a long handled axe appeared (ATK: 2200). “When it is tag summoned, Spartacus adds another Gladiator Beast equip spell to my hand. Also, Battle Manica is returned to my hand, instead of sent to the graveyard.”Angry at having not done more damage, Tyrana ended her turn with a face down, and the barbarian proceeded by drawing another card.

“I summon Gladiator Beast Darius to the field.” A horse standing like a human, covered in battle armour and carrying a long chain, stood beside the dinosaur. There was a flash, and the two figures became engulfed in light. The two duelists raised their shields to protect their eyes as the barbarian shouted “Contact Fusion. My beasts return to the deck to summon Gladiator Beast Gaiodiaz.”

The two duelists lowered their shields to the sight of another dinosaur, a tall, muscular warrior in fine black and golden armour protecting much of its body, carrying a massive axe (ATK: 2600). “I equip my fusion monster with Battle Manica and Gladiator Beast Battle Gladius, which raises it strength to level Giganoto, and as you already know it can no longer be destroyed by battle. Attack Giganoto.” The armoured dinosaur charged, striking Tyrana’s dinosaur at the neck with its axe, destroying it. “Now my monsters effect activates. When it destroys a monster in battle, it inflicts damage to your life points equal to the destroyed monsters defence.”

Tyrana barely had time to react as the dinosaur spun around and swung its axe at her, the gold edge clashed against her raised shield. The force of the blow threw Tyrana backwards, flying through the air until she hit the stand behind her. With a groan she crumpled, body numb from the attack. A trickle of blood ran down the side of her face where her head had hit the stand (LP: 400). The barbarian stared emptily at her battered figure, and ended his turn.

[spoiler=Summary - End Turn 8]

Luca & Tyrana - FR: Tyrannus. BR: Face down. Tyrana’s hand: - LP: 400

Ghosts - FR: Daredevil, Kamon, Gaiodiaz. BR: D. Tag, Manica, Gladius. Barbarian’s hand: - LP: 2750

Luca dashed over to his partner. At the same time Dominik and Carla came sprinting down the stand to aid her. Tyrana was still conscious but groggy, blinking rapidly as Luca held her head. She shook herself out of it, feeling her back that had slammed into the wooden stand, wincing as she did so. Dominik shook his head; she was in no state to continue.

“I’m sorry Tyrana, but we’ve got to clear house of these two, they’re plainly hostile. I can take over from you.” Dominik reached for the attachment of her shield, but Tyrana pushed him away. With Luca’s help, she got to her feet, grimacing as she leaned against him.

“No, I can keep going. Luca, what have you got in your hand?”

“I got Reese and Variety, with a draw to come.” Luca turned to face their opponents, still motionless and silent. “Me and my partner are going to continue, and win this. I draw.” Drawing so that they could see, Luca smiled at his card. “Ace, this could turn it. You don’t mind me using Tyrannus for it do you?”

Tyrana paused, taking in this knowledge, and shook her head. “Don’t play it yet.” She frowned at Luca’s look of bemusement. “Just trust me. Stall them for now and let me get to my turn. There is something not right here with these two, but it might not be what we think, so stall. I want to try something.”

Luca watched mystified as she released him and started to hobble back to her position. Carla reached out and held her hand, clearly worried. Tyrana grunted irritably and pulled away, awkwardly raising her shield. Accepting her decision, Luca nodded to Dominik. In silent agreement, he took Carla by the hand and lifted her back in to the front row of the seats, before climbing up himself, letting Luca continue. He didn’t understand what Tyrana had said, but he would go with it. For now. He looked up at Tyrannus, it had lost the attack bonus with Giganoto gone, but it had picked up another three hundred attack by destroying Zanji (ATK: 2800). If he took out another monster with it, its attack would rise again, above Gaiodiaz. Decided, he began his move. “Now we’re all back in position, let’s go. Tyrannus attack Kamon.” The enormous raptor engulfed the explosives expert in fire, the barbarian unmoved as he took the damage (LP: 850). The massive dinosaur roared impressively as its strength rose further (ATK: 3100). “Next I summon Reese the Ice Mistress in defence and end my turn.”

The samurai drew from his deck, nonplussed by the woman wearing a blue headdress and white, blue and violet robes that had been summoned (DEF: 800). “Gaiodiaz, attack the ice mistress and end this duel.” The prehistoric gladiator swung its axe at the maiden, but she did not disappear.

“Reese can’t be destroyed by monsters that are level four or above.”

The samurai remained unnervingly calm and masked. “Very well, then I shall do what should have been done before. Daredevil, attack with all your resolve and destroy Jurrac Tyrannus. As explained before, although damage is done, Driven Daredevil is not destroyed in battle with a stronger monster, instead countering the strike and destroying its adversary.”

Leaping free from the stream of fire, the warrior somersaulted high above the powerful dinosaur and slashed it with both swords. The ghosts life points were now critical, but they held every other advantage. “Two cards face down. End turn.”

[spoiler=Summary - End Turn 10]

Luca & Tyrana - FR: Reese the Ice Mistress. BR: Face down. Luca’s hand: 2 LP: 400

Ghosts - FR: Daredevil, Gaiodiaz. BR: D. Tag, Manica, Gladius, two face downs. Samurai’s hand: - LP: 150

This was getting close now. Tyrana could sense the ‘I hope I know what you’re doing’ look that Luca was currently giving her. He had reason to distrust her. She wasn’t too sure what she was doing herself. But this just felt... the right thing to do. “I activate the Akashic Record spell card. This lets me draw two cards, but if either have been used already this duel, I have to discard them both.” Tyrana had a few duplicates of key cards like Guaiba and Velo, but few enough to consider drawing one now unlucky. She was not disappointed this time. She placed one of the cards face down, and looked over the field. Little other options with only Reese protecting them. Somewhere behind her, Carla was transfixed on the action, unable to tear her gaze away, while Dominik simply watched on with his arms folded.

As the barbarian drew, she looked at her partner. “Stay with me on this” she asked. Luca nodded.

The barbarian looked at his card, before opening one of the face downs. “I activate my partners trap card, Double Edge Sword Technique. This all or nothing card revives two samurai in the graveyard until the end of the turn. If the summoned monsters are still on the field by that time, they are destroyed and we take damage equal to their attack. I revive Six Samurai Yaichi and Zanji.” The archer and whip wielder returned, Tyrana appreciated the risk involved in this card, but by reviving both samurai, their effects could be used. “Yaichi activates his effect, destroying the left trap card.”

“I activate the targeted trap card, Survival Instinct. I remove Jurracs Velo, Guaiba and Tyrannus from play, to increase my life points by twelve hundred.” (LP: 1600) Luca looked at his red haired friend in surprise. Why just those monsters? The barbarian continued unperturbed.

“Now I begin the battle phase. Zanji attacks Reese the Ice Mistress, and although he cannot destroy her by battle, his effect will destroy her at the end of the damage step. Leaving you open for Gaiodiaz.”

As the massive dinosaur charged, Tyrana held out a card. “From my hand, Battle Fader emerges, halting your attack and ending the battle phase.” A tiny pendulum shaped fiend appeared through a small portal before Tyrana, its swinging bell sending a ripple through the air that stopped the dinosaur in its tracks.

Carla cheered as the attacks halted. “That’ll do it. Now those ghosts are going to take damage from Double Edge Sword Technique, right big bro?”

Dominik frowned. “You are right Carla, but I severely doubt it. Those two have duelled too well to make a slip like that now. They will have some insurance in place, in case that move didn’t work.” Carla’s face went from delight to alarm in a blink, as the barbarian dismissed the halted attack without regard, and did as her brother predicted.

“I activate my partners face down Cunning of the Six Samurai, sending Zanji to the graveyard to summon Kamon in his place. Then I play the Emergency Provisions in my hand, which sends my two equip spells to the graveyard, restoring my life points by two thousand before I take the effect of Double Edge Sword Technique, destroying Yaichi.” Tyrana growled under her breath, she too had expected something like that as the ghosts life points went up and down.

[spoiler=Summary - End Turn 12]

Luca & Tyrana - FR: Battle Fader. BR: Face down. Tyrana’s hand: - LP: 1600

Ghosts - FR: Daredevil, Kamon, Gaiodiaz. BR: D. Tag. Barbarian’s hand: - LP: 850

Luca glanced bewildered at his partner. He couldn’t see what she was getting at by dragging this out. He looked over his hand. He had everything he needed, the key card being the Salvage Warrior he had drawn last turn. He could release Battle Fader to summon it. In turn it would use its effect to revive the Fishborg Blaster he had discarded earlier, and then Synchro summon his strongest card, Brionac Dragon of the Ice Barrier. By discarding the rest of his hand he could rid the field of both Daredevil and Gaiodiaz, and attack Kamon for game. He took his draw phase. Nice, a risk card, with this he may increase his hand further, giving him enough to discard for Brionac to clear the field completely and attack for game. Or he could end up gifting the barbarian a hand, and be only able to remove one of the stronger monsters.

“No guts no glory. I activate the spell Cup of Ace. A coin is flipped, and if its tails, you draw two cards. Heads, and I draw two cards.” The image of a coin appeared on the hub of Luca and the samurai’s shields, spinning rapidly before falling on one side. The revealed image was... “Heads, letting me draw twice.” Luca grinned as he snatched at his cards. A grin that quickly turned to shock when he looked at them.

One of the cards was a gift Tyrana had given him, one that despite not being a water card, she said would fit perfectly in his deck. He glanced at her, open-mouthed, suddenly indecisive of his move. She nodded, mouthing ‘Please trust me’ to him. Did this card represent that trust? He had a sure way to win right here and now, but Tyrana, who had been playing so bizarrely the last few turns, was telling him not to play. Why? He looked over his hand again, then the field. Tyrana nodded to the face down.

“Alright, I activate the face down card.” The trap revealed itself, revealing four guys uncovering the remains of a dinosaur. “Fossil Excavation. By discarding Salvage Warrior in my hand, I can revive one dinosaur from the graveyard. Jurrac Giganoto.” Well what else was there, after Tyrana has removed those others, leaving just that and... tuners.

“Next I activate the spell card Variety Comes Out. By returning one Synchro monster on the field to the extra deck, I can summon a number of tuner monsters whose total levels equal the Synchro monsters. So in defence return Jurrac Aeolo, Jurrac Monoloph, Fishborg Blaster, and Reese the Ice Mistress.” The two smaller dinosaurs, the ice maiden, and a mechanical bio suit with a giant fish tank at its heart, homing a silver fish, emerged. “Then I end my turn with a face down.” He noticed Tyrana smile at him, but he was far from convinced. Neither was the samurai, who raised an eyebrow, for the first time reacting to his opponents move.

“What is this? A strange move indeed, one that will see you surely lose now. I draw, and activate the spell ‘The Warrior Returns Alive’, adding one warrior type monster from my graveyard to my hand. I then summon Six Samurai Zanji.” Luca grimaced as the opponents forces stood four to four. “First of all, Gladiator Beast Gaiodiaz will attack Jurrac Monoloph, a monster with twelve hundred defence points which will be depleted from your life points.” It was Luca’s turn to feel the strength of the axe as it charged him, knocking him to the floor (LP: 400). Groaning, he spat up some blood.

“Now Daredevil, destroy Jurrac Aeolo.” The swordsman effortlessly dispensed of the baby dinosaur. “Zanji, attack Reese the Ice Mistress.” Once again although not destroyed by battle, the after effect of the samurai destroyed the ice maiden. “Finally Kamon, destroy Fishborg Blaster.”

“Activate the trap A Hero Emerges” Luca gasped from his still lying position. This lets you pick one card in my hand, and if it is a monster I can summon it. There is only one card you can pick, Hyper Hammerhead. A fierce raptor with brown skin, baring curved claws and shaking its head, waving its flat, hammer shaped nose, appeared beside the bio suit just before it was destroyed (ATK: 1500). The samurai bowed his head, sighing, waiting for the final move. To Luca, he looked oddly defeated, as Tyrana began her turn. Hoping that she had been right to put her faith in the strange inkling she had, she drew the perfect spell.

“I activate Fossil Dig, which adds any level six or lower dinosaur to my hand. I choose my second Jurrac Guaiba, summon it, and then attack Kamon.” The long necked lizard appeared again, destroying the explosives expert in a stream of fire (LP: 650). “Now I activate the effect of Guaiba, summoning one Jurrac from my deck. I summon Jurrac Gallim.” A small beaked dinosaur with orange and purple skin appeared beside its two larger counterparts. The samurai’s empty eyes widened, as the three monsters were engulfed in a towering inferno of fire, reaching high up to the tall waterways ceiling. From the stand, Carla and Dominik looked on amazed. Lying beside the summoner, Luca smiled briefly.

“There is only one way this duel can truly end. I Synchro summon Jurrac Meteor!”

There was a roar from high above as a ball of fire began to form in the rafters. An enormous dinosaur, fused with a comet, floated high above their heads, gathering all the strength before it charged, with incredible acceleration, shooting down onto the field, hitting the ground at force. The resultant blast annihilated the field, covering everything in a sea of fire. When the dust settled, and Dominik and Carla popped their heads above the stand, there was a small crater in the middle of the duel field. Everything in Meteors path had been destroyed. As for the duelists, Luca was still on his back, staring skywards, heaving for oxygen. Tyrana was lying on her front, her face scorched slightly from the heat, staring at her foes. The ghosts were still standing, although they looked... different. Panting heavily, as though exhausted from the attack.

“In the aftermath of destruction, there is rebirth. Jurrac Meteor summons a tuner monster, Jurrac Monoloph in attack mode. I end my turn.”

The barbarian wobbled slightly as he placed a hand to his duel shield. Looking at the card, he sighed, and revealed it. The trap Gladiator Lash was a dead draw. There was no way back. The samurai put a hand on the warrior’s broad shoulder as he replaced the card in his deck. He looked sad, but somehow relieved too. The barbarian bowed his head, standing solemnly as his partner diverted his gaze over the four people across from him, Dominik and Carla having since rushed down to the duel field to help the two duelists to their feet. The quartet hobbled across the field, but the old man halted them with an outstretched hand, smiling faintly. “Thank you, for that magnificent duel.” The barbarian grunted beside him, bringing back the old warriors attention. “Old friend, it is time for us to end our fight, and let these young men and women take the torch.”

Without another word, the two warriors started to lose their shape and detail, as their bodies turned to mists once more, slowly fading until nothing was left.

Luca turned to his partner. “You think we did the right thing?” Tyrana nodded, clinging to the little girl who was trying to keep her steady.

Dominik however strode over to where the ghosts had been standing; reaching down to pick up something they had left behind. He twirled the ring of keys around his finger. “Now then, with that done we can start to build our new resistance against the Empire here. I’m going to go meet some old friends of mine and recruit them. I’ll leave you the keys, try and get some rest and recover. I doubt that was the last battle we will have to face.” Luca caught the keys as Dominik threw them to him, as he walked over to his runner and fired it up. The duelists watched him incredulously as without further thanks or kindness, he spun the bike and sailed down a tunnel.

“Is he always going to be like that?” Luca asked Carla. She nodded, shrugging.

Whilst Carla was helping Luca and Tyrana find somewhere to rest, Dominik returned to the lift, taking him up to the city above. He thought about the match he had just witnessed. Sure they had won, but it could easily have gone the other way. There would be more fights ahead, and he would need his recruits, as they were, to be stronger. But with their teamwork and spirit, they might be able to prevail. It would take more than just the four of them to defeat the Empire though. The lifted stopped, and Dominik walked out, leaving the bike hidden inside. As soon as he stepped out, he was greeted by screams. People were running around in panic, grown men were curled up in the street crying, an elderly couple were clutching each other tightly. Putting a hand to his brow, Dominik looked up.

A fifth fireball had appeared.

The boys sat down on the other bed, staring open mouthed at the girl who they had met once before in a village that was some distance away, now sat on the bed opposite them. She was pretty much the same as when they’d last met here, wearing her dark dress, long gloves, and many necklaces and wristlets, although the flower in her thick hair had been refreshed, now a vivid indigo bloom. On the bed was a small bag, again black, that must only contain a few essentials. Here she was, holding Hikari’s hand for grim life. Hikari winced occasionally, but ignored her own pain.

“Yuma, it’s good to see you again” Juruo started, but she did not share his attempted enthusiasm. She hadn’t seemed the most cheerful person when they last met, but now she had clearly been quite upset before they had come in, her black eyeliner running slightly. Feeling slightly heartless, Juruo added “I take it the circumstances for our meeting are grave?”

“More than you know Juruo.” Yuma’s voice was still so hauntingly sorrowful. “I was worried I had missed you when the spirits woke me, but I just managed to catch Hikari as she was locking up. I’m so relieved you all escaped from my uncle. Without the signers, we would all be doomed to his madness.”

Everyone blinked, dumbstruck. “Hikari filled you in pretty quickly” Sabin said.

Hikari shook her head. “No, I didn’t. I didn’t say anything about what had happened, she already knew.”

“The spirits told me” Yuma explained, her dark eyes misting over. “Two nights ago, I woke in the darkness, a terrible feeling clutching my heart. The spirits appeared before me, sharing in my feelings, and telling me they needed me. They were scared, as their world started to cower in the shadow of the ring of destruction, the same as our world does. They told me I had to leave the village and find the signers, the champions of the sacred dragons, and they guided me here. I have my own reasons for journeying as well, so I left immediately. I knew of course they were talking about you, but I thought there would be all five of you here.” Yuma glanced around, expecting two other signers to appear from hiding.

“Erin is siding with Demon, and Mel is their prisoner.” Juruo said, head bowed. “What about Barakus and Freya? Surely you didn’t come all this way without...”

At once, Yuma’s head drooped, biting her lip to hold back tears. Hikari hugged her, rubbing her arm caringly, despite the pain it caused her. “Juruo, Barakus was killed the night we escaped. Demon had just got back when he attacked us.”

A few minutes passed in silence, allowing Yuma to regain her composure. Eventually Sabin, very awkwardly, broke the silence. “These spirits you keep mentioning. I assume you mean duel spirits?”

Yuma nodded. “Yes, I have seen them all my life. When they told me my father had died, they shared my sorrow, and they made me feel less alone, less angry. I couldn’t tell mother, she would not have let me leave, so I had to sneak out with the spirits guidance. I got here late last night. Now I’m asking you. I’ve been told I have to help, but even so I want to help. My uncle is responsible for this. Please let me come with you.”

There was another long pause. Juruo and Hikari exchanged looks. The brown haired warrior who was comforting Yuma shook her head slightly. Juruo agreed with her. Sabin however did not. Standing up in front of Juruo, he waved Hikari into a huddle.

“What am I missing here that stopping you to from jumping on this chance?” he asked in a furious undertone, as he pulled the other two’s heads together.

“I know she seems to have this gift, but there is going to be a lot of danger and fighting ahead, and we’ve lost too many people. She’s not a duelist, how is she going to defend herself?”

“That’s it? We lose Aerial, and you get the jitters. Just because she’s not a duelist, she’s then therefore useless? Get real. Don’t you remember Barakus telling us how many attempts Demon made to get her on his side? She must have something about her; she might even be a signer. If need be, she has us to defend her. Look, she needs this, Demon’s her uncle man.”

“And she just lost her father because of him.” Hikari interrupted. “We’ve all lost people because of Demon, but that doesn’t make us all prepared to fight him. We can’t protect her everywhere we go. How do you think she’ll react if she saw Demon now?”

“She said we need her. Juruo, you and me both know the duel spirits, we’ve felt their power.”

Sabin may have had all the reasoning but Juruo, in fear and doubt, was still reluctant. “Well... I don’t know. I really don’t think we should. If she was a signer, she’d have said so by now, not all this spirit talk stuff. I just don’t want to lose more people to this war... like Aerial and Barakus... she should go home and be with Freya, it’ll be hard enough losing her husband but not her daughter to.” Rising from the huddle, Juruo shook his head.

“But I...” Yuma started.

“Hey, it’s chucking out time. Pay another night or getting moving.”

Rather unceremoniously, the group were kicked out of the motel. Cursing the by the book attitude of the proprietor, Juruo saddled up the blue runner, looking up at the grey sky above. High over their heads, a fifth fireball was starting to form, smaller than the others for only a few seconds, before it swelled to a size matching them, forming an arc a quarter of a circle long.

Juruo gasped as he felt a soft hand on his shoulder as someone got on his bike. He looked over at the other runner, at the aghast looks on the faces of Sabin and Hikari as they watched Yuma, with some difficulty having to pull her dress up her thighs, sat behind him, and wrapped her arms around his stomach, her stern expression set like stone. Juruo struggled and tried to throw her off, but she would not budge.

“I’m coming with you, no matter what you say” was all she said. And that was final.

We were all silenced by the incredible awesomeness :D

Oh good, you're still alive. :D

Glad you enjoyed it, I wasn't sure how well it went really.

Three days off after tonight, must kick myself into writing the last few chapters. But now I've got the duel (kinda) sorted it should fall into place a bit more.

I know what it's like to have a tough time writing out action scenes, so I don't blame you for struggling a little.

Past two chapters were good by me, though I think it might have been better if Carla didn't come with them and Dominik would come to her again when he knows he'll secure a better future for her, but it's not a big deal.

I figured Yuma would join them at some point =P

Not so sure she'll be a Signer after reading the last part of that chapter, but the mystery's appealing to me.

Another one revived.

I know what it's like to have a tough time writing out action scenes, so I don't blame you for struggling a little.

Past two chapters were good by me, though I think it might have been better if Carla didn't come with them and Dominik would come to her again when he knows he'll secure a better future for her, but it's not a big deal.

Swear I've written the final duel so many times over, the current draft still has two/three major errors. I wouldn't be too fussed if I hadn't already made so many errors, makes me look like I don't care. But the symbolism of some of the cards is kinda more important to me, if that makes sense. Well, we'll see, Ihope it goes well.

It does make more logical sense to leave Carla in the orphanage, but she will have her uses to Dominik's cause.

I figured Yuma would join them at some point =P

Not so sure she'll be a Signer after reading the last part of that chapter, but the mystery's appealing to me.

Yeah I remember you saying.

The action is going to be back on the 'main' party next week, so she, Sabin and Hikari will all get major development (again, I hope) :)

I've actually been extremely short on time these past few weeks, with exams approaching, so I didn't have much time for anything, including posting =(

The main problem here is that we didn't really get much exposition on the ghosts, you know. They felt too detached from the story, like some sort of one-shot plot device to just throw a duel out there. I was expecting you to give them some background in the second chapter, like who they were etc, but all we got was 'they had some keys k'. Yume's introduction into the group was interesting. I'm not sure now if she's gonna end up a Signer or not. I'm kinda curious about how the end of the arc will go down. I actually paused to think whether Luca and Tyranna would end up as Signers, but I'm pretty convinced Erin's going to be one, and having one without the other be Signer wouldn't make sense.

I'm on YCM at work :D

I've actually been extremely short on time these past few weeks, with exams approaching, so I didn't have much time for anything, including posting =(

Nah that's cool mate. You concentrate on what's important... updating Dead Zone... :lol:

The main problem here is that we didn't really get much exposition on the ghosts, you know. They felt too detached from the story, like some sort of one-shot plot device to just throw a duel out there. I was expecting you to give them some background in the second chapter, like who they were etc, but all we got was 'they had some keys k'. Yume's introduction into the group was interesting. I'm not sure now if she's gonna end up a Signer or not. I'm kinda curious about how the end of the arc will go down. I actually paused to think whether Luca and Tyranna would end up as Signers, but I'm pretty convinced Erin's going to be one, and having one without the other be Signer wouldn't make sense.

Given the aforementioned hectic time, I will not mock your memory loss. :)

After all, who do we know who is connected to the Resistance, uses Six Samurai, and is dead...?

YumA is just so much fun to write about (spoilers?) Glad I'm getting everyone second guessing now.

Thanks for comments guys, has got me psyched to write again tomorrow. Next weeks chapters are already done and set, 39 is fun with card games before going back to deeply serious for 40-41...

After all, who do we know who is connected to the Resistance, uses Six Samurai, and is dead...?

I had to look at the character bios for that >_>. You should have made it more obvious, it was too minor back then to keep fresh in memory. But still, regardless what we may know, Luca and the others didn't know anything... so it didn't really have much meaning to them.

So I guess the GB user is Chetema?

YumA is just so much fun to write about (spoilers?) Glad I'm getting everyone second guessing now.

I keep mixing up her name with the name of a character from a game I'm playing, maybe because she is too damn similar to how I imagine Yuma to be. And maybe Zexal has traumatized me too badly.

I had to look at the character bios for that >_>. You should have made it more obvious, it was too minor back then to keep fresh in memory. But still, regardless what we may know, Luca and the others didn't know anything... so it didn't really have much meaning to them.

So I guess the GB user is Chetema?

Yeah, I kinda wanted the ghosts to be... ghostly, sort of unable to speak except for their play for the most part (like your ghosts :)). I kinda want to keep their appearance open to interpretation, were they protecting their home in death, or had they been possessed and their tortured souls placed here as guards? If I'd thought about the need for more minor characters then I would have exposed them earlier/more in Arc One, chapters 7 and 8 maybe.

Correct, it's Chetema.

I keep mixing up her name with the name of a character from a game I'm playing, maybe because she is too damn similar to how I imagine Yuma to be. And maybe Zexal has traumatized me too badly.

You mean the Yuma from ZEXAL is like my Yuma?? Or a Yume from (which game?)

Wow, is ZEXAL really bad then?

PS: Off to mates now, Chapter 39 tomorrow...

Yeah, I kinda wanted the ghosts to be... ghostly, sort of unable to speak except for their play for the most part (like your ghosts :)). I kinda want to keep their appearance open to interpretation, were they protecting their home in death, or had they been possessed and their tortured souls placed here as guards? If I'd thought about the need for more minor characters then I would have exposed them earlier/more in Arc One, chapters 7 and 8 maybe.

They didn't have to speak... just, dunno, thought there'd be something more to the whole story. Maybe some omniscient-narrator-piece in the end shedding some light, or something. Anyway.

You mean the Yuma from ZEXAL is like my Yuma?? Or a Yume from (which game?)

Wow, is ZEXAL really bad then?

I meant that this Yume character (from the game War of Ninja) quite fits the image I have for the Yuma in this story. Thankfully, she's not like the Yuma from Zexal at all. And yes, Zexal is one of the most terrible things I've seen, and that includes some YCM fanfics.

Yo, this is random, but I was browsing DA and I found this pic.

Reminded me of Hikari, I was wondering if by any chance that pic inspired her character or not, since I've done that for my story before with some characters.

First time I've seen that pic, but yeah thats the right kind of direction. But as Hikari has her scars more spread out over her entire body, she is more covered up than that girl with her leather armour and stuff (although that may not remain the case... spoilers?)

They didn't have to speak... just, dunno, thought there'd be something more to the whole story. Maybe some omniscient-narrator-piece in the end shedding some light, or something. Anyway.

I meant that this Yume character (from the game War of Ninja) quite fits the image I have for the Yuma in this story. Thankfully, she's not like the Yuma from Zexal at all. And yes, Zexal is one of the most terrible things I've seen, and that includes some YCM fanfics.

I have no interest in ZEXAL at all, just the characters look awful and it looks too much like a bad remake of GX.

Will post chapter later, now I need sleep. Night (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

Done some writing today, but not got as far as I wanted. Mainly because I got a bit depressed with my dad being a jerk and that's kind of demotivated me. :(

Still, relatively fun chapter to post. Please cheer me up with comments.

[spoiler=Chapter 39]

Chapter 39 - Duelists Power

After another long day of driving north under heavy cloud cover, now with an extra passenger in tow, the group made camp in a large forest, somewhere in the heart of the Empire. There had been brief showers on and off throughout the day, making the ride even more uncomfortable. A side stop was made at a village store to purchase towels with the little money the group had left, and they had also managed to salvage a battered old tarpaulin from scrap, to serve as a shelter later in the night. This was currently tied to the back of Sabin’s runner; the flapping in the rush of the wind as the two runners sped on had been severely irritating. Now they were here in this little clearing, at the base of a small hill, in the middle of a thick forest. The meal for the group, of course now being a smaller portion for each, was tasteless... at best, and did not improve the mood. Stomachs unsatisfied, the boys erected the tarpaulin, while the girls went off to attempt to dry some of their clothes.

It took a while, on account of Juruo’s bad shoulder. Tying the heavy black sheet from a large tree at a slant and pegged it down at the base, Sabin turned to admire their handiwork. Well, it would keep them dry if it rained again.

“That looks as good as it’ll get. Practise duel?”

“Sure, can do.” After a long day of driving in miserable conditions all round, some fun would be a relief. The two sat inside their makeshift refuge, in their undies, on each of their blankets. The grass and everything else in the area was damp, but thankfully the scrap merchant who they procured the heavy sheet from had thrown in a groundsheet as well to place under their beds. The two removed their cards from the duel shields attached in their runners, and bought them over. Taking them out like this made Sabin realise, they were both huge decks. Regardless, they drew their opening hands.

“Er, you want to go first?” Sabin asked sheepishly, a frown on his face.

“Please.” Relieved, Juruo added his sixth card, and looked over his hand. It consisted of Tribute Doll, Tuners Mind, Totem Dragon, Handcuffs Dragon, Swallows Nest, and now Dragon Treasure. This prompted a long pause. “I guess I’ll play Totem Dragon in defence and one face down.”

Sabin grinned. “Both our hands are dead aren’t they?” Juruo’s confirming nod wasn’t really necessary.

“Figures, we’ve both got new cards and have just shoved them into sixty card decks. I think it might be a bit more productive to do some deck thinning and sort these out, so we don’t get these sorts of hands in less casual matches.”

A short distance away, Hikari and Yuma had hung up the boy’s wet clothes along with, after much coaxing from Yuma, Hikari’s leathery armour and long sleeve shirt she wore underneath, on a branch and started a small fire under it. Yuma’s dress had survived the rain, due to borrowing Juruo’s jacket. Now the girls were just sitting on a log, waiting for the clothes to become somewhat dry. Hikari sat crestfallen, examining her scarring, and the claw mark on her arm.

“I wondered why you were secluded when you stayed at mine” Yuma said. “I’m sorry about earlier. It was really nice of you to hug me even though it must have hurt you. I’m sure you’ll find a cure for them someday.”

“I hope so. That’s not what concerns me most at the moment though.”

“Then what is it? Your signer mark?”

Hikari nodded. “Well, not so much the mark, but more the dragon it symbolises, the one that has chosen me to use it in this fight, the Black Rose Dragon. I don’t understand how I’m supposed to use it to its full potential when I use a Fablesworn deck, and it clearly belongs in a plant deck. It’s just so out of place.”

“You don’t have any plants in your deck at all?” Yuma asked. Hikari shook her head, and raised a single finger. To this Yuma smiled.

“One might be all it takes. The card may not fit your deck perfectly, but maybe it’s not meant to. Maybe it’s meant to fit the person who uses it.”

“It destroys everything on the field when summoned, including itself. What does that say about me?” The two girls looked at each other, and suddenly burst out laughing. Realising the clothes were now drying to the point of stiffening up, Hikari dressed herself, and they returned to the others.

The girls returned to find the two boys sat under the finished makeshift shelter. Both had several piles of cards in front of them, split into monsters, spells, traps, and two other unsorted piles, and looks of extreme concentration on both their faces. The girls ducked inside, their two beds on the right half side, placing the pile of clothes behind Juruo who had his back to them. Thanking them and pulling on his shirt, Juruo picked up three cards from one of his piles.

“Can you guys stop playing with your toys for five minutes to get dressed?” Hikari asked teasingly.

“I’m good like this” Sabin replied, not looking up from the cards he was holding, ruffling his slick hair. “And this isn’t play, this deck edit could be make or break, and we need to get it right. You should know Hikari, since you balance two archetypes. What you got Juruo?”

“Javelin” he answered. “No brainer this goes in.”

“Drop it” Sabin said without hesitation.

“Why?”

“Because Phalanx and Aklys are better. I’m telling you; put Corsesca back in, keep a balance of tuners of different levels.”

“Fine” Juruo threw Javelin into the other mixed pile, presumably discards. “Treasure and Behemoth?”

“Drop them both. I’ve got rid of Machine Factory, and you’re packing too many monsters as it is.”

“I know, but you never know when they’ll be handy. Hey, are you dropping Reasoning? Seriously?”

“Just because it helped me beat Hirz doesn’t mean I should get attached to it. It was a lucky chance that I got Jinzo out with it against him. Next thing you’ll be keeping Dark Piercing Light. You think I should keep Oilman in?”

“Hey, after I drew it against Eternia it’s definitely out. I’ll keep it in my top pocket if we need another flash bomb escape though.” Sabin smirked at that memory he had bought up. “As for Oilman, you’ve got plenty of support to special summon him, could set you up well for a Synchro, as well as draw power.”

For the next half an hour this continued, the girls watching the two boys cull their decks, add cards, replace them, argue, and start again. Hikari looked over her own cards, showing them to Yuma, who found delight in each one, especially the Fabled, who she found very cute. Eventually, Sabin stretched, picking up his finished deck and placing it in his shield.

“Perfect. I still think your deck is too big though.”

Juruo, who had also finished, mimicked Sabin’s action. “It’s only three cards more than yours.”

“Yeah, three cards I’ll prove are no good to you. Now, where were we earlier?” Juruo smiled and went back for his deck, to finish what they had started earlier.

“If you want a practise duel, I wouldn’t mind facing you, if that’s fine with you.”

Several jaws dropped as they turned to Yuma, who was for rummaging in her little bag. Smiling, she pulled out her own set of cards. Amused by their confusion, she smiled for the first time. “Oh I know, duel monsters are outlawed as treason. But Uncle Vardus gave these to me. The last time guards came to our wayward little village was five years ago, at the start of the cull, and would never bother doing so again. My deck... is pretty noticeable, but nobody in our village would rat anyone in to the Empire. But enough of this sit down stuff, that’s no fun. Do you want a duel Juruo?”

“Hey, what about me? I’m a far better duelist than Juruo is.” Sabin pushed past Juruo as he leaned past, looking indignant at being ignored. “Besides, you can consider it a birthday present.”

“That’s your big argument I should duel you instead?” Yuma raised a perfectly shaped eyebrow.

Sabin nodded. “Well, belated birthday. I turned seventeen a few days ago, while we were locked up in Demon’s castle. Pretty weird ain’t it, when something like your own birthday can be so trivial. Anyway, so how about it?”

There was a pause as Hikari and Yuma looked at each, tittering slightly. This annoyed Sabin further, until Yuma smiled, her face looked radiant when she actually smiled. “Ok, but on one condition.”

Before Sabin could ask what, his shirt and jeans were thrown in his face. The girls laughed as he lost balance, and left the tent.

Now dressed and armed with his new deck, Sabin and Yuma stood a few yards apart from each other, with Hikari and Juruo sat on the runners facing them. Yuma simply held her deck in her left hand.

“You sure you both want to do it like this, given current events?” Juruo asked. He felt this was an unneeded danger duelling like this, with the fires above making damage real, but both duelists nodded.

"Don't worry, I won't be hurt."

“You can borrow my duel shield if you want” Hikari offered. Yuma smiled, shaking her head, which made her long black hair sway around slightly.

“It’s okay, I don’t need one.”

Mystified, the others watched as Yuma held her gloved hand out, and closed her eyes. She held it there for a few seconds, before pulling her hand away, keeping it raised and her palm facing outwards, fingers outstretched. The spectators gasped as the deck of cards, instead of falling to the ground, simply hung in midair, unsupported, hovering as Yuma smiled and raised her other hand. Five cards picked themselves up, and floated out in single file in front of her, their backs to Sabin, who was staring at all this like he had seen a ghost.

“O.......k. That is just plain creepy.” Shaking himself, determined not to be put off, Sabin drew his own hand. “Ladies first.”

“How gentlemanly of you” Yuma replied impassively. A sixth card rose from her floating deck, and stood beside the others.

“Let’s duel!”

“I’ll start with the field spell, Clock Tower Prison.” The fourth card spun around, facing Sabin. Disappearing from the hand, it appeared in flat to the ground in the top right of Yuma’s field as the spell activated. Among the trees behind here, a large clock tower rose up, its face reading five past twelve. “Next I’ll play two cards face down and end my turn.”

That was it, no monsters? Sabin looked on astounded, as two more cards disappeared and reappeared face down on the field. Snatching out his own card, he eyed up his new monster, but the time wasn’t right yet. “I’ll start with...”

“At the start of your turn, Clock Tower Prison activates” Yuma interrupted, her gloomy tone completely gone, replaced by one of remarkable cheer. “Now the clock moves forward by three hours.” Indeed, the towering timepiece behind her rapidly turned its hands, stopping at three o’clock. Unintentionally Sabin braced himself for an effect, which made Yuma smile. “Don’t worry, this doesn’t do anything. Not yet. But I’ll tell you now it’s not in your best interests to let it get to midnight. What you should be more concerned about is my trap card, Destiny Board.”

With a wave of her arm, the trap far to Sabin’s left opened. As it did so, a ghostly mist rose from the picture, floating in midair, as the letter F appeared on it. Without knowing why, Sabin shuddered.

“Hey, it is my turn isn’t it? Can I move now?” Yuma nodded. “Thanks, now as I was saying, I think I’ll do what you should have, and summon Ally of Justice Garadholg in attack. Which is what I think he’ll do right now. Sorry but this may sting a little.” The orange battle droid emerged from a dark portal, brandishing its fists as it geared up for attack (ATK: 1600). Alarmed, Juruo and Hikari looked at Yuma as the twin lasers fired, expecting a face down. She simply smiled.

“From my hand, the trap The High Priestess Staff. I can legally activate this card from my hand. This cancels your attack and ends your battle phase, and you also take five hundred points off damage.” Sabin jumped as an invisible force repelled his machines attack and fired it back at him, a heavy impact thudding into his shield. What kind of crazy deck was he facing?

“Two cards face down. Your turn.”

“At the end of your turn, Destiny Board takes effect, activating a Spirit Message spell card from my deck.” With one motion, a card flew from the middle of the floating deck and onto the field. A ghostly vapour rose from this one as well, this time depicting the letter I. The deck then shuffled itself.

[spoiler=Summary - End Turn 2]

Yuma - FR: - BR: Clock Tower Prison, Destiny Board, face down. Hand: 2 LP: 4000

Sabin - FR: Garadholg. BR: Two face downs. Hand: 3 LP: 3500 (F, I)

With another flick of the wrist, another card added itself to Yuma’s hand. She looked over her options. Given the time it took, there couldn’t have been that many.

“I activate my face down card Eternal Dread. This speeds up my Clock Tower Prison by six hours.” Indeed, the hands of the clock behind spun around, grinding to a halt at nine o’clock. “And that will do.”

Seriously? Becoming increasingly more and more confused, Sabin drew his card. The instant he did so, the hands of the clock turned again, coming to a stop at twelve midnight. The tower gonged, the sound resonating in Sabin’s head. Like a death knell.

But still it appeared there was nothing to stop him. “I summon Ally of Justice Nullifier in attack mode.” The roundish machine on six legs and carrying cannons on what you might say were its shoulders appeared beside Garadholg, Nullifier being a little bigger (ATK: 1600). “I’m guessing you have another staff here, but if you don’t... direct attack.”

This time Nullifier shot first, firing its lasers at Yuma. Hikari closed her eyes, visions of Aerials flashing across her brain. Therefore it was only Juruo and Sabin who saw, astounded, as the laser came to within ten feet of his opponent, and hit a wall of thin air, stopping immediately. Bewildered, Sabin commanded Garadholg to charge. Again, the attack didn’t even come even close to Yuma; it just hit an invisible shield, causing nothing more than a ripple in the air in front of the mysterious girl who was laughing playfully at them. Finally Hikari looked again, and couldn’t quite believe Yuma was still standing, not so less enjoying herself.

“Sorry, you’ll have to do better than that. With Clock Tower Prison at midnight, I don’t take any battle damage.”

“What!?” No battle damage, no way. That was how the vast majority of duels were settled. Sabin looked over his hand; there was not a lot to form an alternative strategy with. He ended his turn, and as he did so, another card plucked itself from Yuma’s deck and hit the field, the same ghostly mist as before, this time revealing a letter N in the mist. Judging from this, if he was going to form a new tactic, it would have to be quick. He did not want to see Destiny Board take full effect.

[spoiler=Summary - End Turn 4]

Yuma - FR: - BR: Clock Tower Prison, Destiny Board. Hand: 3 LP: 4000

Sabin - FR: Garadholg, Nullifier. BR: Two face downs. Hand: 3 LP: 3500 (F, I, N)

Yuma looked across to the two spectators as her next card drew itself. “Hikari, you say you are worried by the lack of coherence in your deck, and with your sacred dragon. Do not worry, I am going to prove to you that you don’t need to have cards that all work with each other obviously, you need to find ways to make them work together. Think of new plays, new strategies, and new ways to win. My deck has no synergy at all, but I can win in one hundred different ways.” Hikari blinked as Yuma’s words reached out to her, while the girl herself turned to her opponent.

“Whereas you Sabin, you may want to edit your deck again, if you haven’t been able to accommodate for this simple problem facing you. All I have is a single spell protecting me from battle damage, and a trap card which when its effect is completed in the next few turns, will end this duel in my favour. You need to be able to adapt, to change to tackle what you are faced with. If you can’t, then you have no hope of stopping my uncle. I activate the continuous spell Mirage of Nightmare. At the start of each of your turns, I can draw cards until there are four in my hand. Then at the start of my turn, I have to discard the same number of cards as I drew with this effect. Also, with this card in play, I now have three continuous spells on the field. I summon Dragon Queen of Tragic Endings.”

The ground shook as a mighty beast erupted from the earth. A grey dragon with an oddly floral look, with its lavender petals covering its shoulders and waist, and its wings looking like giant tree leaves, ragged and torn. Long spikes stuck way out of the sides of its head. Truly a bizarre creature (ATK: 1900)

“Go Dragon Queen, destroy Garadholg.” Red hot fire erupted from the dragon’s mouth, a stream of scorching hot breath melting the machine. Sabin ducked behind his shield to protect himself from the awesome heat (LP: 3200). “Now, when you take damage, you must discard one card in your hand, and I get to draw one more card. With that I end my turn.”

“I activate the spell Fires of Doomsday, summoning two tokens to my field. I’m doing this in your turn, because I can’t summon the turn I play them. Then I’ll begin my turn proper.” As Sabin did so, Yuma added two cards to her hand, observing him closely. ‘I need to do something about the shield, and more importantly about Destiny Board. I know I’ve got the cards to do it, it’s just drawing them. At least this might help’. “I release one of the tokens to summon Ally of Justice Omni-Weapon” The mechanical droid of many weapons appeared, ready and waiting (ATK: 2200). “Next I equip Omni Weapon with Break Draw! which gives me a draw every time my machine smashes your monster. Attack Dragon Queen.” The machine obeyed, destroying the strange dragon with its laser cannon. Although the monster disappeared, Yuma still took no damage.

Sabin picked up the card drawn with Break Draw. ‘This card is exactly what I need, but I can’t play it yet. I need something else’. “I end my turn.” As soon as he did, the familiar ghostly apparition appeared, this one as an A. Chills ran through Sabin’s spine as he looked across at the message speaking out to him, that was only one letter, one turn away from its harrowing completion.

F. I. N. A. L

Meanwhile, in the Red Lion in Sen’nenki, Dominik was sipping a refreshing house ale, not the slightest bit bothered about the numerous faces staring at him. He had come to the pub wearing his full black riding gear, and had also, for reasons that mystified Warren and the other men sat with him, equipped his own duel shield for the occasion, a polished black and gold wedge that matched his suit and runner. He could sense the pubs other patrons, of which there were many, eyes darting towards him, talking in hushed whispers. This was exactly what he wanted. Beside him, Carla was kicking her heels, drinking from her fruit juice, her and her teddy feeling a little out of place.

“As promised Warren, my assistants and I have got our base together and ready for immediate use. It can provide short term living conditions for two hundred; not comfortably by any means but I’d like to get the wheels moving as quickly as possible. So are you all willing to fight?”

“We will be willing to fight once we know what we are fighting for, and what we are up against” replied one large man, his fat chin wobbling as he spoke and slammed a ham-fist on the table, drawing even more attention to the group.

Dominik smiled. “You want to know what we’re fighting for and against Hagar?” Without another second’s hesitation, to the astonishment of those around him, he downed his drink, stood up, and climbed up on the table, clearly head and shoulders above everyone else in the pub. One by one everyone’s attention was drawn to him. A deathly silence fell over the Red Lion.

“Good people of the Empire, my name is Dominik Hope, and I once served as a member of the royal guard here in this city. I make no secret of that in my service, I was forced to do terrible things to you, things that I regret deeply, in the name of our vile dictator Nero. As you know, over the last few years, you have been robbed, starved, and made to suffer at the hands of the emperor. You feared for the safety of everyone you knew, for they could be taken away from you at any moment. And now, high in the sky above, there is the threat of that fiery ring that is taking form. Do you want to stay in, drowning in your pity and despair? Or do you want to do something about it? Will you take a stand for the fallen, and for the future? Will you take control of your own destiny, instead of letting it be dictated by a madman like a pawn?”

Dominik waved for Carla to stand up beside him. He had bought her here for this moment. The assembled patrons of the Red Lion watched as this small girl got up on the table. “This is my sister, who is only twelve years old. She has had no chance to experience life, except the hurt of the loss of our parents because of the Empire, and now her future is threatened to be taken away. She is fighting for her future here, as I am. Will you join us in my quest to rid ourselves of the tyrant that could doom us all and our children’s futures, and avert the disaster from on high that threatens our existence?”

The pub burst into cheers.

[spoiler=Summary - End Turn 6]

Yuma - FR: - BR: Clock Tower Prison, Mirage of Nightmare, Destiny Board. Hand: 4 LP: 4000

Sabin - FR: Nullifier, Doomsday Token. BR: Face down. Hand: 2 LP: 3200 (F, I, N, A)

“The end is close now Sabin. You are on the brink of being defeated by my Destiny Board. All you have is one turn. Think you can turn this game around?” Being watched by Juruo and Hikari, Yuma was not threatening Sabin at all; she just seemed to be enjoying herself, in a way that nothing else seemed to do so. Duelling must mean a lot to her Juruo thought, especially if she was as close to her uncle, the formidable duelist Vardus, as she appeared to be. Hikari was thinking more about the cards in this deck she seemed to treasure. From the few they had seen, they were a varied bunch that might seem a mish-mash deck to some, but Yuma was making it work. She was certainly a peculiar girl.

Sabin smirked across the battle field. “I think I’m going to be sticking around a bit longer than that. I’ve just noticed, your spell and trap card zone is full, and you’re one letter short. So I’m safe for now.”

Yuma shook her head. “You would have been safe, had you not made the mistake of destroying my dragon.” Letting Sabin look puzzled for a while, Yuma drew her card, smile widening at the result. “Now, by sending Mirage of Nightmare to the graveyard, I can return Dragon Queen of Tragic Endings back to me. Also, with Mirage no longer on the field, I don’t have to discard any cards, and that gives me a space for you, know, what.” Sabin groaned to himself, as the dragon returned, as fierce as before. “Now Dragon Queen, destroy his Nullifier.”

‘Can’t afford any more discards’. “I activate the trap card Power Frame, negating your attack and raising Nullifiers strength to match your dragons”. (ATK: 1900)

Yuma shrugged with indifference, rolling her eyes. “Whatever. It’s your turn, and unless you do something pretty miraculous it’ll be your last.”

“This is it” Hikari whispered, unable to take her eyes from the match.

Sabin put a hand to his deck. “It will be my last turn. The turn that sees me win this.”

Yuma smiled and shook her head. “I admire your confidence, but I assure you it’s in vain.”

“We’ll see. Draw.” ‘Yes! Just what I needed’. “Where the Allies of Justice falter, their backup team might just bring it home. I call on the combined strength of two races of machine, to give rise to a powerful new force, the Genex Allies. I summon Genex Ally Duradark.” A small humanoid cyborg somersaulted through the portal, a strengthened dark blue suit of high tech design with a red visor, processing data on its opposing enemy, as it stood cross armed before the dragon (ATK: 1800).

Yuma looked at the machine, unimpressed. “So?”

“So, once per turn, Duradark can activate his special effect. Since he and your dragon are both the same dark attribute, he can destroy it without attacking.” Indeed, the cyborg raised a palm, and ball of black energy formed before it. Firing the ball, it grew around the dragon, consuming it entirely, before shrinking back on itself, the dragon disappearing along with it.

“Now Duradark can’t attack the turn he uses his effect, but that’s alright because he’s not sticking around too long anyway. By returning him to my hand, I can summon the tuner monster Genex Ally Birdman.” A mechanical parrot flew past the cyborg as it returned to the duelist’s hand. The birdman changed course, flying above Nullifier and the black flare, who split into stars as fire consumed them, as Sabin raised his right arm, the wings of the crimson dragon burning strong. “Now Birdman tunes with level four Nullifier and a Doomsday Token, to Synchro summon the all mighty, all powerful bringer of destruction, Red Dragon Archfiend.”

Hikari gasped in shock. Even Juruo, who had seen the beast once, was again awestruck by the formidable dragon, its bulky muscular body ready to pounce and tear through anything in its way. Yuma looked up at the unstoppable force opposing her; she must have nerves of steel to look so unafraid. Sabin turned his final card with a grin.

“You wanted me to adapt, but I find old fashioned bulldozing still works every now and then. The spell card Crimson Hell Secure, destroys every spell and trap card you control. So no more destiny board, and no more shield from that clock.” The giant clock tower sank behind Yuma, and the ghostly letters evaporated in bursts of flame. Cockily, Sabin ran a hand through his hair, smug in his victory. “Good match Yuma, you almost had me. But obviously with all this power on my field and yours empty, this is over. Don’t worry, I won’t attack you. I couldn’t possibly hurt you.” Yuma smiled, her dark brown eyes sparkling.

“You are so right Sabin. This match is over... for you.”

Sabin blinked several times, mystified, as a portal began to open behind Yuma, a huge circle covered in glowing symbols. “You have lost Sabin. You were so pre-occupied with the threat on my field; you did not pay any attention to the growing threat in my hand.” With that, Yuma waved an arm, a motion that spun the five cards in her hand, revealing their identity to Sabin, who sank in horror at the sight. Left arm. Left leg. Right arm. Right leg. Head. He tried to speak but words failed him as he staggered before the portal, as a roar that would be heard for miles came through the gateway. Yuma’s eyes glazed over slightly, her voice becoming strangely echoing. “That threat is known simply as Exodia. You can admit defeat now, or you can stand up and take his wrath.”

Wide eyed in fright, Sabin stared at the girl before him. “Alright I give I give. Just don’t summon that thing.”

As soon as he’d spoken, the portal closed on itself, the roaring stopped, and Yuma returned to her normal self. The deck that had been floating before her dropped to the grass below. Standing up, Juruo went to help Sabin up, whilst Hikari joined Yuma, smiling at little warily as she approached.

“Wow, that was something Yuma. But why did you keep playing? You had Exodia in your hand and you still carried on with your dragon and trying for Destiny Board.”

Yuma turned to her new friend, shrugging. “Is it really that hard to work out? I just love duelling, that’s all. Thanks for the match Sabin” she turned to address the rather pale looking boy who was leaning on Juruo for support. “Don’t worry about it, there have been plenty of other boys who didn’t want anything to do with my Exodia, and that was before all this real damage stuff started.”

The boys exchanged a perplexed look, making Yuma and Hikari giggle to each other again. “Oh, you didn’t think my uncle would let his hot niece go around unprotected with all the boys in town after her would you? I’ve been asked in to so many ‘I win and you have to date me’ duels, and I always won with Exodia. I always said I would still date them, if they were man enough to stand up to his attack. Strangely enough, they all declined and ran away, except for this one boy...” Yuma looked away into the distance. “By the time he had recovered, he didn’t seem interested in me anymore.”

Juruo and Sabin went whiter than you’d have thought possible, prompting both girls into another fit of laughter, before Yuma picked up her cards and they walked over to the shelter together.

Smiling, Juruo put a hand on Sabin’s shoulder. “I think you just dodged a bullet there mate.”

Sabin did not take the joke too well. “Remind me, what is your girlfriend doing these days? Oh yeah, she’s the traitorous scum who aligned herself with some psycho madman bent on total destruction and nearly got us all killed.”

“I resent that remark.”

The two boys spun around, as a familiar voice floated over to them. The girls heard it too, rushing back over to join them as they looked up to the top of the hill, where a sleek black runner was parked. Erin was sat in the driver’s seat, staring down at them.

Note:

A full amended deck list for the boys, including their removed cards, will be included in the bios.

Hmm.

It was a nice chapter, overall, just not... amazing. The deckbuilding sequence was honestly the part I enjoyed the most, you did that really well. The scene with Dominik... eh. It was good, just a little over the top, I think. Finally, the duel. It was kinda boring. The beginning was good with the unconventional strategy and all, I was excited to see Destiny Board in action... but it all went by too fast, and eh, I did not approve of Yuma's use of Nightmare Mirage. That's one of the cheapest things in existence. And mhm, last minute Exodia was totally uncalled for... I remember Cakey telling me that ZONE's deck was all over the place, but Yuma's deck was really all over the place. Bad End Queen Dragon was a nice addition, though. In my opinion, you should have let Sabin win this one. I was a bit miffed at the ending. You said dueling was outlawed and all, but apparently kids all dueled pretty casually, it doesn't make sense.

Surprisingly, my favorite part was the deck-building scene as well. I guess I'm a sucker for those casual moments that you don't get too often in an action-packed story like this one. I liked the cliffhanger ending too, even though it's kinda soon. Then again, it might just seem that way to me since you release chapters so frequently :P

Only bit that didn't make sense was the casual dueling Yuma mentioned, but the chapter was good for me besides that.

Thanks for the speedy posts guys, appreciate it. :)

For someone who hasn't spoken much before, Dominik can make a fine speech.

Can't wait for the next chapter!

I am trying to build Dominik up in bits for the rest of this arc. Glad the speech came of, wasn't sure if I had got it or not.

(Remembers I have to get on and do another speech scene with a different character) grumble.

It was a nice chapter, overall, just not... amazing. The deckbuilding sequence was honestly the part I enjoyed the most, you did that really well. The scene with Dominik... eh. It was good, just a little over the top, I think. Finally, the duel. It was kinda boring. The beginning was good with the unconventional strategy and all, I was excited to see Destiny Board in action... but it all went by too fast, and eh, I did not approve of Yuma's use of Nightmare Mirage. That's one of the cheapest things in existence. And mhm, last minute Exodia was totally uncalled for... I remember Cakey telling me that ZONE's deck was all over the place, but Yuma's deck was really all over the place. Bad End Queen Dragon was a nice addition, though. In my opinion, you should have let Sabin win this one. I was a bit miffed at the ending. You said dueling was outlawed and all, but apparently kids all dueled pretty casually, it doesn't make sense.

Surprisingly, my favorite part was the deck-building scene as well. I guess I'm a sucker for those casual moments that you don't get too often in an action-packed story like this one. I liked the cliffhanger ending too, even though it's kinda soon. Then again, it might just seem that way to me since you release chapters so frequently :P

Only bit that didn't make sense was the casual dueling Yuma mentioned, but the chapter was good for me besides that.

With the deckbuilding, as I've said before I screwed up early on, and I didn't want these anime style 60-70 card jobs. But the added bonding between the four that occured was nice to do. i think I just liked being able to drop everything for a while (til Erin showed up anyway) and just have them be friends and the girls be teenage girls, etc, instead of fighting for world survival constantly.

Yeah, Yumas's deck is totally all over the shop. We've only seen one half of her deck in the two auto win sides, there is yet another half and more messed up ness (well no, actually the other half is more structured, just has no synergy with D Board/Exodia at all). Yes, the Mirage was poor. I'll front up and say there is one more banned card used, but it is well... its a lot more reasoned and you'll understand why when it comes. However I stand by Exodia's inclusion, because a- you've got to haven't you? and b- plot elements for arc four...

Think I've annoyed you by giving Sabin another one chapter, 'filler' duel, considering the next one is over two, but there was no real place for a end in that one. Ending on FINAL would have been... flat (again compared to Erin entrance). Sabin will be back to 'critical storyline' duels soon, as indeed will Yuma.

Yes, duelling is banned, completely. You guys took that seriously? :blink: Did it not occur that Yuma and Hikari were simply mindfucking the two boys, as girls seem to love doing (that was the intention, maybe I did it badly)? She's hot, she knows shes hot, and she knows the two boys think shes hot, why not be a b**** and have some fun? And seriously, if my kid was in hospital due to an attack from Exodia I'd be straight off to the guard.

I am trying to keep it regular Fusion, but given circumstances at home it may not remain the case (issues <_< ) Still I'm here for the foreseeable.

Anyway since you've all so graciously commented, I think I may do some writing now.

Yes, duelling is banned, completely. You guys took that seriously? :blink: Did it not occur that Yuma and Hikari were simply mindfucking the two boys, as girls seem to love doing (that was the intention, maybe I did it badly)? She's hot, she knows shes hot, and she knows the two boys think shes hot, why not be a b**** and have some fun? And seriously, if my kid was in hospital due to an attack from Exodia I'd be straight off to the guard.

I'm gonna go right out and say it.

That's bullshit.

I'm not talking about how very... un-good that sort of tease is in that situation, or how stupid the guys would have to be not to question them the same way we did, although those two are certainly big issues.

When you're writing, your only means of conveying what you want to stay is your words. When you write a whole, detailed scene with dialogue describing something, your readers will take it at face value. You can't write something, then expect readers to assume you are lying. In some way or another, you have to make it clear that what you are saying is not true. When I read it, it didn't even cross my mind that Yuma was lying - you expressed no motive for her, and you did not directly contradict her, so I assumed that somehow you had slipped up. And it's all good now that I can ask and clear it up. But if this was a book and I was reading it for the purposes of the review, this right here would have counted quite negatively.

While it may seem that I'm being nitpicky and a jerk, this is actually a core element of writing. Your readers aren't in your head - they won't realize your intentions or thoughts, unless you express them through your words.

Thankfully, the ending of the chapter was quite awesome and redeemed that negative impression from the final part of the duel.

Archived