Will the dark dragon lord see play

if u put it in ur deck and go to a tournament then yes

that depends, what deck type are you using, I see that Van'Dalgyon the Dark Dragon would be good in an Counter Fairy Deck..........but with it being an Shonen Jump Magazine Promo, it wouldn't see much play

Van'Dalgyon's not really that hard to get. $10 online or just buy the magazine.

I see the 2 main issues being

1) the lack of counter traps in todays metagame and

2) He's a beatstick that you can get out easily, and get a free 1500 damage/destroyed card/Special Summoned monster to boot, but he's not really game-winning.

Now, don't get me wrong, He's a great card, extremely powerful, cheap to get out, and really very playable. But there isn't really a win condition in there. He doesn't have to power, even with his effect, to do enough damage for game in one turn, no OTK. He can destroy a card on the field, just use Snipe Hunter or a multitude of other cards to do that, or he can get you a monster, just use Call of the Haunted. I'm not saying that it isn't always great to have another Recursion, or a card removal, and 1500 damage is nothing to laugh at, it's just that he can bring closer to end-game, or finish for you, but a deck can't be purely about him. This means that, even in a deck that he fits well into, there could be less space for support cards. Remember that he himself is a support card.

Now, you can easily fit him into a Counter Fairy deck, which solves the above issue quite a bit, but not completely. This leaves consistency and card use. There are quite a few good Counter Traps out there, but they aren't used to often in mainstream decks for a reason. It's generally easier to deal with something your opponent puts at you than it is to predict what it is and have drawn the needed Counter Trap to counter it. Also, cards like Wabaku are more versatile than cards like Negate Attack. And one small last thing, it generally isn't a good idea to have a monster's summoning conditions rest on a single card type. If you have an unlucky draw, you can really be screwed, though with enough, this shouldn't be a problem.

I expect to see Van'Dalgyon some successful Van'Dalgyon decks in the future, but I don't think they'll be leading the pack, especially with all the new cards out of the Phantom Darkness series. As they all have plenty of potential.

The people that posted before me lack knowledge.

I have 3 words that will explain the playability of this card.

Bribe. Solemn. Limited.

There.

This card will see tournament play, and will most likely be on the list in March.

Archived