Roleplay and Character Creation Guide

[quote name='PikaPerson01' timestamp='1306630230' post='5238636']I violently disagree. If you drew it yourself, or took a random anime guy or girl and had decent photoshop skills to modify it, there is no way you wouldn't be able to put the image in your mind onto the screen.[/quote]

And what percentage of the YCM RP community has those skills? I could name probably two people that I know of in fanfiction and RPing combined off the top of my head who can draw/photoshop to a good enough degree that it successfully gets the intent across while not looking like an utter piece of sh!t. To those two people, congrats. To everyone else, it's much more effective to write things out so that my head doesn't spin/slam against the keyboard.

Pika, I don't deny that your "A+B" solution would work well; however, using a picture as a basis in the first place limits your creativity, because you're going to work one off of the other, or there isn't a point in using both anyways. The point of writing is to express something. If you type up a description and retroactively find a fitting pic, go ahead. Put it in. But basing the writing around the picture, even if said writing adds other details, still is 90% picture-centric.

To anyone else who posts, don't try to raeg about me saying pictures are bad. It's my fuc[b][/b]king [u]opinion[/u]. If there was more overall uproar about the other points in this guide, I'd just take this thing down, but since it's just one thing in comparison to anything else, I'm going to just gloss over it. Don't like, don't read. If you want to form your own stance, then just look at the other comments here. Just don't try to make me change my own.

(I apologize in advance if anything in here comes off as pompous.)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm...If the arguement of the "No picture allowed" rule is still going, then it is obivisouly a big problem among many role-plays here. So I only got one question for you Rinne; Every time I look into the "Rules" section of the role-play forum, I can never find anything about using pics being a bad thing. So it's pretty easy to infer that it's only frown uponed. With that being said, are you -as a MODERATOR of the role-play forums- actually going to make a rule about banning pictures? Because if that is the case, then it would be obvious that a lot of people would protest (like the one in Egypt) and the people who do support it would also escalate the violence as well.

With that being said, is the "No Picture" rule only going to stay as a frowned upon thing, or is it actually going to be a rule?

I only ask because I think it's fair that as one of the leaders from the role-play forum should actually step their foot down and the lay the law down. I don't mean to be a pest about it, but so far, all of your protests towards the picture rule are only opinions (which you said yourself), but you be suprised about this fact, but a leader's opinion literally has tremendous effect upon the unit. So it's hard to really think of the outcome of this situation if you only post your opinion.

[quote name='Frybread002' timestamp='1306686289' post='5239764']
With that being said, is the "No Picture" rule only going to stay as a frowned upon thing, or is it actually going to be a rule?
[/quote]

It's my opinion, and nothing more. I'd rather not have another Basic v. Advanced squabble on my hands. If there's major support for instituting such a rule in the future (as in overwhelming, which I doubt would happen), then I'd do something. Until then, just take anything in this guide as words of advice, like it was originally intended. :I

[quote]And what percentage of the YCM RP community has those skills? I could name probably two people that I know of in fanfiction and RPing combined off the top of my head who can draw/photoshop to a good enough degree that it successfully gets the intent across while not looking like an utter piece of sh!t.[/quote]
And what percent of YCM has the basic English skills to describe a picture or scene in their head accurately enough? Probably even less than that.

[quote]But basing the writing around the picture, even if said writing adds other details, still is 90% picture-centric.[/quote]
Two things:

1: [Citation Needed]
2: So? If someone can much more easily convey an image in their head by using a literal image than then can by using their words, more power to them I say. Especially since appearance is far and away the least important thing on a "standard" profile. Their personality and bio are much more important.

[quote]To anyone else who posts, don't try to raeg about me saying pictures are bad. It's my fucking opinion. If there was more overall uproar about the other points in this guide, I'd just take this thing down, but since it's just one thing in comparison to anything else, I'm going to just gloss over it. Don't like, don't read. If you want to form your own stance, then just look at the other comments here. Just don't try to make me change my own.[/quote]
The issue I take to this is that it's a guide and, like all guides on YCM, it should be subject to change. When someone tells you your wording sounds much too strict, and much too absolute you should try to fix it a bit. Make your words less ambiguous and stress these are your opinions on what an app should look like, not a concrete rule thing. You don't need to have a fit before packing up your toys and go home just because someone disagrees. Just explain your reasoning behind why you think this way, or if their argument is compelling enough, change yours.

On an unrelated note, I believe the complaint with images was the fact that the same 15 or so images are being used for a majority of RPs. Everyone is Shadow the Hedgehog in Human Form or that guy with brown hair, red shirt, and gray jacket with a necklace. What about someone who cycles the same "appearance" description? Isn't that just as bad?

[quote name='PikaPerson01' timestamp='1306802842' post='5243125']
And what percent of YCM has the basic English skills to describe a picture or scene in their head accurately enough? Probably even less than that.
[/quote]

I doubt that, or we'd be seeing more pictures than writing.

[quote name='PikaPerson01' timestamp='1306802842' post='5243125']Two things:

1: [Citation Needed]
2: So? If someone can much more easily convey an image in their head by using a literal image than then can by using their words, more power to them I say. Especially since appearance is far and away the least important thing on a "standard" profile. Their personality and bio are much more important.[/quote]

1: Arbitrary statistic was picked arbitrarily to illustrate a point. Less the number, more the concept.
2: I'll agree with you on the second half, especially because appearance can be difficult to individualize in, say, a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RP. However, I still believe that using an image to base your application around limits creativity to some degree.

The issue I take to this is that it's a guide and, like all guides on YCM, it should be subject to change. When someone tells you your wording sounds much too strict, and much too absolute you should try to fix it a bit. Make your words less ambiguous and stress these are your opinions on what an app should look like, not a concrete rule thing. You don't need to have a fit before packing up your toys and go home just because someone disagrees. Just explain your reasoning behind why you think this way, or if their argument is compelling enough, change yours.

On an unrelated note, I believe the complaint with images was the fact that the same 15 or so images are being used for a majority of RPs. Everyone is Shadow the Hedgehog in Human Form or that guy with brown hair, red shirt, and gray jacket with a necklace. What about someone who cycles the same "appearance" description? Isn't that just as bad?
[/quote]

My pissiness was less the fact that my points were being challenged than the fact that I get the same thing thrown at me three, four times. Guys, I hear you, and I've responded. Restating the same concept and trying to get me to alter what I've said with little additional reasoning annoys me, whether it's IRL or online.

And yes, those "same 15 images or so" are what I'm referring to. They've at least waned in prominence from before I came on the mod team, but I still see them enough to consider them problematic.

So, point expounded in the main post. Happy compromise?

[/quote]

Let's see what the Roleplay Forum Rules has to say...

[quote name='Kyubey']
[b]Expies[/b] – Copy-paste characters from either separate RPs or from already existing franchises, with only minor detail changes, are frowned upon. This doesn’t allow true “evolution” as a unique character.[/quote]

I REALLY tried to stop myself from posting in this argument. I did. It's just silly that an argument of pictures versus non-pictures are taking place [b]on a guide that is meant to give advice, not be rules to live by.[/b] If you don't want to do what Kyubey's suggesting, then just...don't. Don't moan on this thread about how pictures are good for characters- something I still don't get since the majority of the rest of the RP (I hope) is TEXT...PikaPerson01, do you know what a book with pictures used to describe things in it is called instead of (or with a minimal amount of) text? A picture book, which is most often aimed at young children. In most cases, it's something to amuse those who can't read yet, or only do so brokenly. Now, if the standards of quality have fallen that low around this forum, then I'll be taking the next bus out of here.

To all whom has posted before me, Rinne has layed out a perfectly legit basic guideline for rp oweners and the roleplayers who need help creating their character. He stated at the top its HIS OPINION, and also that this is a GUIDELINE. Why are we arguing the fact that people like using pictures to the fact that writing out the appearance shows greater abilities in your writing!!! If you don't like writing out your appearance then use a picture if you do then do just that and write it out. Rinne is not forcing everyone to write out their appearances he is mearly , stating that the fact that a roleplayer can write out in detail their characters appearance shows that they have better descriptive abilities then just throwing a picture into a roleplay. I cannot and will not side with either one since if I feel lazy and a GM says that I can I will use a picture on occasions I'm sure all of of us have at some point, then again 85% of the time I've roleplayed i write out my characters appearance.

So in short stop arguing about the picture usage and start adding to the acctual topic here. I'm sure I'm overstepping my bounderies here as Rinne is a mod and could do this himself. But I hate to see perfectly good Guidelines for roleplaying get way of topic because of a random arguement.

Anyways, very nice job Rinne. You layed everything out very nicely in a way that is easy to understand and allow members to work off of. If theirs anything I can do to help you inprove this thread let me know, I'm not sure if you where planning on doing the whole specific roleplay character thing to add to this but if so I can help as well if needed.

Obvisouly, you really haven't noticed it, have you Luxray, Primal Fear, Twisted Gara?

If someone is constantly arguing about a subject, then it is obvisouly a big deal. Even though it may appear pointless in the eyes of others, if a person is trying get feedback, then it's rather mandatory to see what's the fuss about it is. It's very easy to say "Oh! This is a random arguement guys! Stop this pointless arguement and start contributing to this thread." But when push comes to shove, most of the time, that same person is causing the arguement to boil even more, and utterly forget what they just said. Hypocrits in other words.

I'm not gonna name names, or bring anyone down, but I personally don't care about people and their writting habits when they post application. I don't want to know what people do when they do stuff like that. If anything, I already stated that I am a nuetral at this part of the arguement, since I always allow pictures in my role-plays and when I first did see this thread, the only thing that I really hate about it (and Pikaperson can probably agree with me here), was seeing how much of a butt Rinne was being. Him directly saying things like "this guide is to help you create better and high quality characters" was really a bold claim and made him sound like a "know it all." Because, if a person is meant to help somebody, but just insults them and rubs it in their face, I'm literrally better off shooting myself in head and hope someone can help me.

But after reading the most recent updates of the thread, I noticed that Kirby started to ease up on his choice of words and it actually felt like he was starting to help us, and just not negatively tell us how much our characters sucked. So I personally feel like I can contribute to a thread that is able to give it's readers a "happy vibe" to it.

If anything though, I still see the agruement of the "Pic, No Pic" arguement as a serious one. Since Kirby here has already started his personal opinions about it, I don't need to question this arguement any further, but if people do see it as a big deal and this eventually does lead to a "No Picture" allowed rule, that's where I would put my foot down about the agruement. But until that does happen, I'm doing my best to avoid this thread altogether.

P.S. It should be noted, but I was the one who actually started the topic of the no picture thingy. So it's wise for everyone to get your facts straight before you get mad at somebody else for something I did.

You obviously haven't come to the conclusion that I don't care if we're holding an argument about pictures versus non-pictures. In fact, I encourage it; this issue needs to be settled. Obviously you know my views on the subject, but I really don't care about that issue right now. Go on and have it somewhere else, just not here.

This is a thread about how to make your characters better, laying out a good guideline for your characters in RPs. Not to have a debate club on whether or not pictures should be allowed. The issues are related; certainly decisions in either one will affect the others. But as I said before; this is simply advice from a senior member, who has been around here longer than we have and is the Moderator of Role-Playing to boot, so he knows what going on with this forum. What he's saying here isn't law; it's just the wise words of a member whose been around the Roleplaying block once or twice. In no way, shape, or form is it supposed to tell you pictures should be forbidden; it is but Kyubey's personal opinion.

You say that Kyubey was acting "like a butt". Sure, he might have told us in frank terms about how the quality of the forum, but can you disprove this claim? No. This forum has gotten better over time (or at least, it has to me) but there is still a lot that needs to be fixed. Kyubey was just stating his solution to this.

You say you'll drop the subject, so I shall as well. In the future, however, please don't neg rep me for stating my opinion.

Sure they should. I just don't feel like that a full-blown debate over one tiny part of the article should be handled here. I guess what I'm trying to say is, your opinion on the article should be posted here, but a debate over the pros or cons, stretching over a bunch of pages...That should be in a discussion thread, or something.

Alas, you have a point there Dwarven King!! About the part of Kirby here having disagreements that is, but as for you Lux-Quicksilver (didn't someone already took that name?)...

[quote name='Quiksilver' timestamp='1307141631' post='5251997']
You obviously haven't come to the conclusion that I don't care if we're holding an argument about pictures versus non-pictures.
[/quote]

Yeah...Kirby here can by Frank, but I'll be Bullwinkle this time around...

I'm not really gonna care about what you just said, I'm not gonna say anything in response to your post, except for his; You do realize you are contradicting yourself right? You say that the arguement was pointless and should be stopped, but now you're literally repeating what I said, that this arguement is a serious one. I'm not going bother myself into explaining anymore here, but you should know, you are contradicting yourself. Not only that, if I do try to argue, it's already going to result in you or me throwing foul names towards each other. Which you already have done, by accusing me of giving you a neg rep. Something of which I haven't done.

[quote name='Frybread002' timestamp='1307204897' post='5253962']
Alas, you have a point there Dwarven King!! About the part of Kirby here having disagreements that is, but as for you Lux-Quicksilver (didn't someone already took that name?)...
[/quote]

>_>...It's my name from before. I changed it a while ago, and now I'm changing it back.

Yeah...Kirby here can by Frank, but I'll be Bullwinkle this time around...

I'm not really gonna care about what you just said, I'm not gonna say anything in response to your post, except for his; You do realize you are contradicting yourself right? You say that the arguement was pointless and should be stopped, but now you're literally repeating what I said, that this arguement is a serious one. I'm not going bother myself into explaining anymore here, but you should know, you are contradicting yourself.[/quote]

I'm sorry for the contradiction. When I posted the first part, I thought that using pictures were silly (and still do), but in my last post, I realized a lot of people liked pictures and then said that this discussion should be handled elsewhere. I'm sorry for that.

Not only that, if I do try to argue, it's already going to result in you or me throwing foul names towards each other. Which you already have done, by accusing me of giving you a neg rep. Something of which I haven't done.[/quote]

[url="http://i53.tinypic.com/ip017r.png"]Oh really?[/url]

[quote name='Quiksilver' timestamp='1307210691' post='5254268']
>_>...It's my name from before. I changed it a while ago, and now I'm changing it back.
[/quote]
Oh, really? Yeah...that explains a lot of things.

[quote name='Quiksilver' timestamp='1307210691' post='5254268']
[url="http://i53.tinypic.com/ip017r.png"]Oh really?[/url]
[/quote]

Oh, wow, you got a Windows Vista? That's pretty cool.

But I only did that so I could get your attention on it. If anything, I was already aware that somebody was going to give you another positive rep when I did that, so it didn't really bother me. But the fact was this; you yourself was sounding like a butt as well when you posted that. I only gave it to you so I tell you face-to-face.

• 3 weeks later...
Okay. Finally got around to finishing my little 'opus' here by adding two more sections, so I've decided (against my gut) to reopen this thing for comments. However, I will make one point. If the arguments that were going on before I locked this thing decide to continue, this thing will be locked and unsticked, and the appropriate parties will be banned for an as-of-yet undetermined length of time. Don't test my patience. Be civil.

I say that you give a valid point in your accusation in the first page. I understand you do not want the same character applications to be basic or have this and have that - I also understand that many should be able to take their time in actually doing the application before hand (f.e.) reservations.

You have my gratitude and opinion that each character application should add a little more spice into the mix into making the "perfect" recipe.

Can't believe I missed another RP-forum dramafest. We seriously need a discussion thread for that sort of thing, even if by definition it would be filled with whining, pointless cattiness and be a really bad idea in retrospect.

So let's look at this guide. Because I'm obsessive-compulsive, I think I'll respond to every section.

[b]Name:[/b] I might have put more emphasis on avoiding names that sound awesome but really just come off as stupid. "Shade", "Kane" and especially "Shadow" have lost all respectability at this point, and preposterously awesome-sounding nicknames are almost as bad. There's nothing wrong with having an interesting name, but putting a little originality rather than running to the immediate cliche would be appreciated... I like how you touched on improper names in improper settings, though I do kinda wish you mentioned unfitting names in different countries (IE, a girl in a Japanese setting being named "Bethany") without any sort of justification.

[b]Gender:[/b] I'd argue that sexuality would be better put in the bio or personality section, since your sexual preference technically isn't amalgamated into your gender (Nor is gender the same as sex, though people make that misconception often. It's possible to be a person with a male sex, heterosexual orientation and female gender, for example).

[b]Age:[/b] No comment except that playing old people is fun. Also, people should make a token effort to ensure there characters at least act somewhat like their age (unless they're purposely and explicitly very mature/immature for their age).

[b]Appearance:[/b] Not getting into the 'picture' thing in order to avoid thread derail. Appearances are probably the easiest thing for new forumites to trip up on, as a lot of them make the misconception that everyone either needs to know exactly what their character is like from the first glance (which results in dark-haired tall boys with an emo flip, leather and katanas) or that they don't need to look any different than normal people (which results in a one-line description talking about their T-shirt). Really, it's difficult to give examples here as the appearance really is the culminating part of the application; after you've hammered out their personality, history and other details, you can finally figure what they would look like because of that.
Also, a note to RPG writers, some details are completely unnecessary in an application and can be omitted entirely if it's the type of thing that never has a point in the RP (weight is a big one, since some people (me) need to check online for the average weight of people at various heights before they can put a realistic number). I'd recommend never splitting up description into smaller categories and instead just list the details you expect them to mention at some point.

[b]Personality:[/b] My personal recipe for avoiding Mary/Gary Sue is to write the weaknesses of the character FIRST, then develop rest of the character around how they deal with those details (Okay, if we're being honest, usually I just make them whatever sounds funny to me at the time).
Actually, the best way to avoid Mary/Gary Sue is just not making your character take over the plot. That's more of a bio-thing, but if your character goes against the grain to the point where the GM owned characters can't push them around in some way, you've got a problem.

[b]History:[/b] Most important, as I said before, is making sure your character doesn't eclipse the plot. Other than that, I think people really have free range here, and I'd like to see them utilize it a bit more. I really like that you pointed at the "Royal in disguise" one, because that one's really been overused by people who think they're clever- but a point should be made that all three of those origins can still be good if the circumstances around them were unique. Find a new twist on the 'hiding prince' one, and I'd be ecstatic. People come up with new 'parents murdered' and 'raped' motives all the time. It's simply a matter of being good enough to construct a good variation.

[b]Weaponry:[/b] I'd like to point out that going on line and finding slight variations in sword doesn't make your idea much more interesting. Truly, does it matter if you're using a Naginata or a straight Katana? It's the same basic concept, and though you've proven you can do research, there's still no practical difference between the two.
If you're in a world that has magic, you have no excuse for going for a really interesting type of weapon. I admit to often being lazy here too, but here's often where the truly original people can show off.

[b]Powers:[/b] I'd argue that your powers don't always have to fit your setting perfectly; for example, a Vampire that turns into a wolfman as his special ability would be reasonably creative, and definitely something I'd let into my Rp, especially as Dracula had a history of doing just that. If you can find a way to make it work, go for it. For example, I've always wanted to write a character in a Middle Age's rp who had radiation based powers: he had no idea how they worked, but they were radiation all the like. Anarchism can be good, sometimes.
On the other hand, an overpowered power is obvious the moment you see it and can ruin the game for everyone. As a protip, if your character is so powerful they can't be around civilized society for fear of destroying them, you've probably got something game breaking on your hands. Same thing if the character can legitimately boss around and scare the GM characters, especially the villains.

[b]Additional:[/b] I've found this section usually meaningless, personally. Usually you can find a spot for any information you'd like to put it in; if you can't, it's usually metagame info that can be said outside the app proper, or even just PMed to the GM.

[b]Dynamics:[/b] Have I mentioned how annoying it is when all the males immediately try to pair up with the females the moment an RP begins? Because that's really annoying. Growing characters organically really has to be paramount, I think. Have the characters interact with eachother, but save extensive growth of character for something that really warrants it. It's unlikely someone you've met for five seconds would instantly solve all of your inner turmoils and troubles.

[b]Where to go?:[/b] I almost never have a plan for my characters. Occasionally, I'll develop one with some of the others over PM, but that's really something that takes actual interaction with the other characters before you know where you're going with this.

And... that's about it. The guide's a great idea, and I hope it'll help at least a couple people when they're shot down for simply bad character designs. Perhaps a list of cliches to avoid might be warranted; I'd be inclined to doodle a couple down for the benefit of others, if nothing else. Wonder if that would warrant its own thread, or this one could encompass that too?

@Hydra: Thank you. I think I will do so too. Or at least most of them.

[quote][b]Name:[/b] I might have put more emphasis on avoiding names that sound awesome but really just come off as stupid. "Shade", "Kane" and especially "Shadow" have lost all respectability at this point, and preposterously awesome-sounding nicknames are almost as bad. There's nothing wrong with having an interesting name, but putting a little originality rather than running to the immediate cliche would be appreciated... I like how you touched on improper names in improper settings, though I do kinda wish you mentioned unfitting names in different countries (IE, a girl in a Japanese setting being named "Bethany") without any sort of justification.[/quote]

First part is duly noted. However, for cultures (like Japan, for example) where naming schema is incredibly flexible, foreign-sounding names aren’t an impossibility. If it’s sheerly for the sake of sounding cool, though, then I’d turn it down. Do a bit of research into kanji meanings and such, and you can generate something with a badass punch that still sounds realistic.

[quote][b]Gender:[/b] I'd argue that sexuality would be better put in the bio or personality section, since your sexual preference technically isn't amalgamated into your gender (Nor is gender the same as sex, though people make that misconception often. It's possible to be a person with a male sex, heterosexual orientation and female gender, for example).[/quote]

This is more for the sake of convenience – in many of the offsite RPs I’m in, gender and sexuality are lumped together since they fall under the same “area.” And you are technically correct in the “sex vs. gender” debate, but the instances in which they are different are rare enough statistically that requiring it to be specified in all apps is just nitpicking.

[quote][b]Appearance:[/b] Not getting into the 'picture' thing in order to avoid thread derail. Appearances are probably the easiest thing for new forumites to trip up on, as a lot of them make the misconception that everyone either needs to know exactly what their character is like from the first glance (which results in dark-haired tall boys with an emo flip, leather and katanas) or that they don't need to look any different than normal people (which results in a one-line description talking about their T-shirt). Really, it's difficult to give examples here as the appearance really is the culminating part of the application; after you've hammered out their personality, history and other details, you can finally figure what they would look like because of that.
Also, a note to RPG writers, some details are completely unnecessary in an application and can be omitted entirely if it's the type of thing that never has a point in the RP (weight is a big one, since some people (me) need to check online for the average weight of people at various heights before they can put a realistic number). I'd recommend never splitting up description into smaller categories and instead just list the details you expect them to mention at some point.[/quote]

I disagree with your theory of appearance being the climax – I’d reserve personality for that spot the most. However, I guess it’s all about one’s personal approach to making characters. As for the omitting of details, weight is usually frivolous, because characters would rarely compare it at such a specific detail. However, I still say it’s not worthless to include height, because while weight can be given as a generalization, comparisons between heights can be more important.

[quote][b]Personality:[/b] My personal recipe for avoiding Mary/Gary Sue is to write the weaknesses of the character FIRST, then develop rest of the character around how they deal with those details (Okay, if we're being honest, usually I just make them whatever sounds funny to me at the time).
Actually, the best way to avoid Mary/Gary Sue is just not making your character take over the plot. That's more of a bio-thing, but if your character goes against the grain to the point where the GM owned characters can't push them around in some way, you've got a problem.[/quote]

I personally like doing the single-word trait thing I listed, but always put in at least one more negative than positive. (And being funny’s not bad. xD) And although you make a good point with the GM pushing around, from what I’ve observed on YCM, GMs act more as a player than a leader, and therefore they have to exhibit some prudence there as well. (Of course, that’s with PCs only. NPCs can go hog wild.)

[quote][b]Weaponry:[/b] I'd like to point out that going on line and finding slight variations in sword doesn't make your idea much more interesting. Truly, does it matter if you're using a Naginata or a straight Katana? It's the same basic concept, and though you've proven you can do research, there's still no practical difference between the two.
If you're in a world that has magic, you have no excuse for going for a really interesting type of weapon. I admit to often being lazy here too, but here's often where the truly original people can show off.[/quote]

Saying a naginata’s like a katana is saying a sword’s like a polearm, which is what you’re insinuating. Nitpick aside, the setting does limit your character unless you’re creative – for example, in a feudal Japan RP, unless you’re a foreign trader or missionary, any weapon other than the traditional ones should be looked upon with suspicion by the GM. Same thing with magic – is it Fairy Tail-esque magic or functional, “one to one” magic?

[quote][b]Powers:[/b] I'd argue that your powers don't always have to fit your setting perfectly; for example, a Vampire that turns into a wolfman as his special ability would be reasonably creative, and definitely something I'd let into my Rp, especially as Dracula had a history of doing just that. If you can find a way to make it work, go for it. For example, I've always wanted to write a character in a Middle Age's rp who had radiation based powers: he had no idea how they worked, but they were radiation all the like. Anarchism can be good, sometimes.
On the other hand, an overpowered power is obvious the moment you see it and can ruin the game for everyone. As a protip, if your character is so powerful they can't be around civilized society for fear of destroying them, you've probably got something game breaking on your hands. Same thing if the character can legitimately boss around and scare the GM characters, especially the villains.[/quote]

Dracula made wolfmen? From what book are you reading? And [u]anachronism[/u] is only good if it doesn’t violate the plot’s canon, which can be very difficult since you need to avoid throwing a monkey wrench into the development. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but you at least shouldn’t do it without permission of the GM. And bossing around GM characters? That’s godmodding in itself: any decent GM should be able to kick them out.

[quote][b]Additional:[/b] I've found this section usually meaningless, personally. Usually you can find a spot for any information you'd like to put it in; if you can't, it's usually metagame info that can be said outside the app proper, or even just PMed to the GM.[/quote]

Not necessarily. Although you’re right in that things can usually have a place in one of the above fields, it’s sometimes easier to put trivial items (as in random facts) down here to avoid clogging up the application.

[quote][b]Where to go?:[/b] I almost never have a plan for my characters. Occasionally, I'll develop one with some of the others over PM, but that's really something that takes actual interaction with the other characters before you know where you're going with this.[/quote]

At least having a few fragmented ideas, like “I want X to do Y and to discover Z,” can be beneficial in the long run. Otherwise you end up adrift.

[quote]And... that's about it. The guide's a great idea, and I hope it'll help at least a couple people when they're shot down for simply bad character designs. Perhaps a list of cliches to avoid might be warranted; I'd be inclined to doodle a couple down for the benefit of others, if nothing else. Wonder if that would warrant its own thread, or this one could encompass that too?[/quote]

Why, thank you for the compliment. I’d definitely incorporate a list of common clichés into the main guide if you’d be so willing as to write one up: if you do, please PM me them first.

Archived