Roleplay and Character Creation Guide

[quote name='Kyubey' timestamp='1308873556' post='5306300']

Saying a naginata’s like a katana is saying a sword’s like a polearm, which is what you’re insinuating.

[/quote]

Ouch. Well that's embarrassing. You're totally right, what happened was that I mixed up the Ninjatō and Naginata, despite the later being a totally different type of weapon altogether. Apologies for that, my internet wasn't working very well then and I didn't bother doing a google search to check my facts.

Dracula made wolfmen? From what book are you reading?

[/quote]

If my hazy memories of reading it half a decade ago when I had less respect for classic novels are correct, Dracula made quite the habit of transforming into a wolf. In fact, he had many animal guises, which is where the 'Vampires turn into bats' notion stemmed from. Expounding that into a wolfman is just creative license.

Also, did I seriously just misspell anachronism as anarchism multiple times in a row? As well as use it in a somewhat incorrect context? I think I just lost my Grammar Nazi certification there.

Why, thank you for the compliment. I’d definitely incorporate a list of common clichés into the main guide if you’d be so willing as to write one up: if you do, please PM me them first.

[/quote]

Certainly; I'll get working on that soon as I can.

[i]Sorry Frybread, already married. To my work.

(I don't do work). [/i]

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First part is duly noted. However, for cultures (like Japan, for example) where naming schema is incredibly flexible, foreign-sounding names aren’t an impossibility. If it’s sheerly for the sake of sounding cool, though, then I’d turn it down. Do a bit of research into kanji meanings and such, and you can generate something with a badass punch that still sounds realistic.[/quote]

I'd like to add that a foreign name isn't out of the question even for places where naming schema isn't flexible. Perhaps the character, or his parents, are foreign. Maybe his parents are Americans who moved to Japan for a job or whatnot. Either way, he might possess a name that not's endemic to the area where the RP takes place. It's all about the circumstances.

[quote name='Hydra of Legend' timestamp='1308944097' post='5307768']
Also, did I seriously just misspell anachronism as anarchism multiple times in a row? As well as use it in a somewhat incorrect context? I think I just lost my Grammar Nazi certification there.[/quote]

You've also been spelling thief wrong in your siggy for quite some time now. Here's what you wrote:

[i]The better [b]theif[/b] employs both a gun and a friendly smile. [/i]

[quote name='Quiksilver' timestamp='1308945370' post='5307811']
I'd like to add that a foreign name isn't out of the question even for places where naming schema isn't flexible. Perhaps the character, or his parents, are foreign. Maybe his parents are Americans who moved to Japan for a job or whatnot. Either way, he might possess a name that not's endemic to the area where the RP takes place. It's all about the circumstances.
[/quote]

Or maybe their parents are just incredible hipsters.

[quote name='Quiksilver' timestamp='1308945370' post='5307811']
[/quote]

Or maybe their parents are just incredible hipsters. |P

But you are right in context. It's less the name itself and more of the reasoning behind it.

• 2 months later...

The old style of application, I was never a fan, specifically why Gender and Age are separate attributes, the "standard" attributes should be like this

Name:

Personality:
^
>Age and Gender should integrate into either of these attributes, in my opinion.
v
History:

Apperance:

There are only four "standard" attributes that should be 100% required, age and gender should not be their own attributes; it's fairly simple to write "Joshua Strong is currently a male at the age of twenty six." included right there in the History or Personality. I'm not saying I have a problem with using Age/Gender as separate attributes, I'm just pointing out that it's rather simple to integrate them into others...

Separating them makes them clear though. As you said, it could be integrated into more than one category, meaning that it could get confusing when half the apps have it in one section and half in the other. The more sections, the easier it is to find the relevant information in the app (and it also means, where the host requires a minimum, people have to write more for the History/Personality, since they can't use age and gender as filler).

It also means, should it be more complicated than simply Male/Female and a number, there is a space to explain it.

[quote name='Time Psyduck' timestamp='1314271577' post='5467411']
Separating them makes them clear though. As you said, it could be integrated into more than one category, meaning that it could get confusing when half the apps have it in one section and half in the other. The more sections, the easier it is to find the relevant information in the app (and it also means, where the host requires a minimum, people have to write more for the History/Personality, since they can't use age and gender as filler).

It also means, should it be more complicated than simply Male/Female and a number, there is a space to explain it.
[/quote]

Pretty much this. An application sheet is supposed to be a quick reference for your character, so having basic stats like age and gender clearly labeled instead of lumped together with other things is only logical.

[quote name='Kyubey' timestamp='1314329923' post='5469529']

Pretty much this. An application sheet is supposed to be a quick reference for your character, so having basic stats like age and gender clearly labeled instead of lumped together with other things is only logical.
[/quote]

This is true, I suppose it'd be quite difficult to re-read through everything on your application just to find one detail.

• 1 year later...

This is a pretty big help. This is the first time I even considered doing an RP and I read this... And came up with a very good character(in my pinion, you experienced people may think otherwise ) but thanks for the advise.

Mmm, thanks. I did have a half-done guide for the rest of an RP hidden away somewhere, so maybe I can squirrel that out. (Especially since people seem to really want it.)

I honestly suck at thinking outside the box. With what was said regarding the biography, I can't help but to go about the typical stories (Minus being raped as a kid). I'd be lucky if I thought of something else (Like the original ideas seen in crime shows). I might need some help with that.

Bothering to get what done, may I ask? What exactly are you refering to?

= .

Rather than making a requirement, just make a stickied Guide to OoC Structuring, which conveys to people what they should ideally have in OoC threads.

When I suggest a new guideline for the forum, people start going all "WE WANT AN OOC GUIDE" instead, and I put one up, you'd expect those same people (i.e. you, C4 and ListenToLife) to at least acknowledge something they were so vehemently for? Frankly, it strikes me as being rude. (And yes, this is me breaking character and being passive-aggressive, but respect is a two way street and I didn't appreciate your post, which at the time I took as insiniuating I have no idea what I'm doing.) That's the end of that, though: if you want to chew me out (and I wouldn't be surprised) then PM me.

I honestly suck at thinking outside the box. With what was said regarding the biography, I can't help but to go about the typical stories (Minus being raped as a kid). I'd be lucky if I thought of something else (Like the original ideas seen in crime shows). I might need some help with that.

If you've heard the saying "nothing's original anymore," well, that's kind of true. One idea is to not paint your character as the good guy in their background. Maybe your princess went into hiding because she instigated a family conflict and is scared of the repercussions, instead of just wanting to escape the humdrum of royal life. Think of a moral point of contention: not everyone acts the way they ideally would like, and this can cause inner turmoil.

When I suggest a new guideline for the forum, people start going all "WE WANT AN OOC GUIDE" instead, and I put one up, you'd expect those same people (i.e. you, C4 and ListenToLife) to at least acknowledge something they were so vehemently for? Frankly, it strikes me as being rude. (And yes, this is me breaking character and being passive-aggressive, but respect is a two way street and I didn't appreciate your post, which I took as insiniuating I have no idea what I'm doing.) That's the end of that, though: if you want to chew me out (and I wouldn't be surprised) then PM me.

But the thing is, this guide isn't what I anticipated or as you put it, "asked for". I have no idea where this came from: I thought you were making a guide that would help players construct an entire OoC Thread, which seems to be the central issue, rather than nit-pick Plot & Background. Like, suggestions for rules, advice in the benefits/weaknesses of posting schedules & routines, even some suggestions on constructing character applications.

Basically I feel this guide has is incomplete, hence I hadn't responded.

But the thing is, this guide isn't what I anticipated or as you put it, "asked for". I have no idea where this came from: I thought you were making a guide that would help players construct an entire OoC Thread, which seems to be the central issue, rather than nit-pick Plot & Background. Like, suggestions for rules, advice in the benefits/weaknesses of posting schedules & routines, even some suggestions on constructing character applications.

Basically I feel this guide has is incomplete, hence I hadn't responded.

Y'see, thank you. I'd rather people tell me what they'd like to see and what's missing rather than remain silent. Constructive criticism is good for a growing soul. (Now I just need to devour yours. ;3)

Y'see, thank you. I'd rather people tell me what they'd like to see and what's missing rather than remain silent. Constructive criticism is good for a growing soul. (Now I just need to devour yours. ;3)

You do have a really good point there with unarguable logic: you can't get advice or help from a silent client, for the lacking of a better way to phrase it at the mo'. I apologize, I should've spoke up sooner =I

You do have a really good point there with unarguable logic: you can't get advice or help from a silent client, for the lacking of a better way to phrase it at the mo'. I apologize, I should've spoke up sooner =I

No problem. I can certainly add that kind of stuff, but my only concern is that it will be less objective advice and more my own personal taste, which probably isn't what you guys are looking for.

No problem. I can certainly add that kind of stuff, but my only concern is that it will be less objective advice and more my own personal taste, which probably isn't what you guys are looking for.

Well then, it might be tedious, but you could run an ideas poll for general things that could be used in Role-plays? Like thinks such as a Glossary of Key Terms, a Bestiary, etc? Some might not be able to be thrown from genre to genre, but might allow particular genre RPs to take, and use the idea to overall improve the dedication and quality of the Role-play in general?

Archived