Two Additions to the Rep System

There are two things I just thought of.

I know back on the older forum, when giving a rep, there was a post reference feature. What ever happened to that? I thought it was pretty cool. If it came back, it would probably cut down on the amount of rep spam going on. Also, instead of having to go through a bunch of threads to find out why you may have gotten a neg, you can click on the post reference option to see the post that lead to the neg.

Another thing. I liked how a while ago, your reputation would be displayed as (say) 10/8 instead of just 2. I thought it was pretty useful. Instead of just looking at a sum of both positives and negs, you can see how many positives and negs they have. Like in the example above, now, at first glance, you look at there reputation and think, oh, 2? He must be a newer member and might not have a lot of reps. If you were to see both the positives and the negs, you would probably think, oh, 10 positives? But wait, he also has 8 negs. I wonder how he got those. I guess that would also help mods in who to keep an eye on also.

Anyway, I hope I explained all that well enough. Those are just two things I think would help the rep system.

It won't stop people with stats of 100/0..... Rep Spam would continue because,

A) People Like Positive Reps

B) People like to work for Reps (Which I hate)

C) People try to get a Sympathy Vote for Reps.

Look at me I have a Grand total of 6 or 6/0 and all of them mean a lot to me (3 For a Well fought Contest and 3 from nice members who find me to be friendly) On the subject of Post Refernce maybe certain words like "Free Positive!" Would result in a Rep Blackout for the Guilty Person.

These sound like excellent ideas.

Although I wasn't here during the earlier years of YCM, I should probably be able to think that this modification will, help YCM's reputation system. With the growing number of members each day, it's very difficult and complicated to deal with all the problems cause by newer members through the reputation system. The post reference feature, sound like something useful, because, it will help soothe down some disputes about why/how that certain member, received that certain rep.

Overall, I agree with you, and I suggest that you should private message YCMaker at this time, ( because he is online... ) so that he can a least give a thought about it.

-Glasstin :)

It won't stop people with stats of 100/0..... Rep Spam would continue because,

A) People Like Positive Reps

B) People like to work for Reps (Which I hate)

C) People try to get a Sympathy Vote for Reps.

Look at me I have a Grand total of 6 or 6/0 and all of them mean a lot to me (3 For a Well fought Contest and 3 from nice members who find me to be friendly) On the subject of Post Refernce maybe certain words like "Free Positive!" Would result in a Rep Blackout for the Guilty Person.

Post Reference is like an actual post they the person made. Like, if I were to neg you (I wouldn't, but this is just an example), I would choose the post you just made (the one above this one) and I would give you neg. By clicking on Post Reference, it would bring up the your post (same one, the one above this one). If you feel that the neg wasn't legit (in this case, it wouldn't be), you would so mod the Post Reference in the Rep Complaint thread instead of just saying "oh he randomly neg'd me. I don't know why". I feel like I'm not exactly wording this right. :?

Yeah, I don't see how reps neccesarily bennefits anything. It's mostly used for spam, negging, and so on. And stupid reps like 'Boost" and "Cuz u need it" are just plain useless. Contests are for being a good card maker, and It's good they made the no reps for shops thing. I really don't see what you get for having lots of reps. Some people should have -whatever. Some shouldn't have like, 400 reps because its just too much. Reps are a way of showing how good a member is. Not to tell the member they are...whatever. Slime has like, 55. That's good. -55? Bad. +300? Worse. Come on! Reps are to be used well.

AH! I thought you meant Key Words mean a Repping Ban.... So it's a button like "Quote" & "Report" Hmmmm It would work. Then say I said something really horrible to another member and they took offense they Could Reference my Post as a reason for the Rep. I think I understand now ;)

Meh, instead of bringing up the same "get rid of the rep system", I thought it would be better to suggest a few things that may help it out a bit. I mean, people have been saying the rep system should be forgotten for a while, and it doesn't look like it will. It may be a problem, but why not suggest advice and ideas and stuff?

i think summing up the reps is probably a good idea, but then again, i do have like 10 reps + and 6 reps - somethin around that o.o so maybe its also a good idea. I have mixed feelings ! yes and no for this lol

"p.s. i remember what you mean, i joined back in january of last year :P"

Doo you mean it to be necessary? The way you phrased it, it sounds like that. I think it should be optional. Though it is a good point, there are quite a few things that would cause problems:

- A private message on a personal topic, such as emotional support.

- Various help since joining.

- Too tired to think of any others now. I'll edit tomorrow... =/

Archived