[MTG] Temporal Mastery

I tweet at a MTG developer about this
"I can only imagine how much you tested Temporal Mastery but wow is that scary Brainstorm, Serum Visions, Ponder, the list goes on."

he actually responds
"I certainly wouldn't call it a balanced card."

I go
"Lets just hope this doesn't break anything then."

Seems like a good response yes?

[quote name='Flame Dragon' timestamp='1333950209' post='5907326']
It's funny you say that because when I showed my friend the card that is what I said.
[/quote]

Well, it's really hard to not get surprised anyway. Time Walk by topdecking is awesome.

I knew they were gonna reveal a Blue Miracle on Monday. Mainly because MaRo specifically said: "The one on Monday is the one we're most worried about".

Uhhh, well, no kidding. Anyway, Delver gets a [b]massive, massive, massive[/b] boost.

Most consistent way of playing Miracles is with G/U Mill.

4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Reclaim
4 Noxious Revival
4 Tracker's Instincts
4 Mulch
4 Memory's Journey
4 Ponder

Pretty sure it's the consistent way of getting out Miracles.

[quote name='Æ‘rog The Jam' timestamp='1333969872' post='5907390']
Well, really abusable is kinda what I meant by broken, I guess. Seriously though, miracle delver is starting to seem like a very interesting prospect.
[/quote]
[quote name='.Rai' timestamp='1333970541' post='5907393']
I knew they were gonna reveal a Blue Miracle on Monday. Mainly because MaRo specifically said: "The one on Monday is the one we're most worried about".

Uhhh, well, no kidding. Anyway, Delver gets a [b]massive, massive, massive[/b] boost.
[/quote]
People are actually debating how good this will be in Delver. Over on wizards boards several people say the card i just getting over hyped.

[quote name='Koloktos' timestamp='1333975785' post='5907431']
Ponder becomes limited in Standard Format as well.
[/quote]
It is VERY unlikely at this point that it will be in M13. So I don't think they will ban it since it will be out of the format in a few months. The problem is the other, older formats.

[quote name='Flame Dragon' timestamp='1333985649' post='5907534']
People are actually debating how good this will be in Delver. Over on wizards boards several people say the card i just getting over hyped.

It is VERY unlikely at this point that it will be in M13. [b]So I don't think they will ban it since it will be out of the format in a few months[/b]. The problem is the other, older formats.
[/quote]

At bolded: *cough*JaceandStoneforge*cough*. I do have to admit, though, that such the case was COMPLETELY different.

When it comes to M13, I'm making a list of what I don't want to see on it as opposed to what I want to see in it. That list includes Titans, Ponder, Wurmcoil Engine, and now this card.

It will be abused to hell and back in EDH (just like Griselbrand and Avacyn). I'm not too sure about in Standard, but I do know I'll be trying it out in UB Zombie Control Combo.

[quote name='Mysty' timestamp='1334002488' post='5907823']
At bolded: *cough*JaceandStoneforge*cough*. I do have to admit, though, that such the case was COMPLETELY different.

When it comes to M13, I'm making a list of what I don't want to see on it as opposed to what I want to see in it. That list includes Titans, Ponder, Wurmcoil Engine, and now this card.

It will be abused to hell and back in EDH (just like Griselbrand and Avacyn). I'm not too sure about in Standard, but I do know I'll be trying it out in UB Zombie Control Combo.
[/quote]
As you said their is a difference. By now the Jace decks had been really fine tuned and had been around for a while. Odds are by the time they figure out how to best use this standard will rotate.

Wurmcoil never was in an M set so he already wasn't likely, but seeing as how he is the 6th Titan I see him following them and not returning.

The thing with EDH is you can already do REALLY stupid things but so long as they aren't too stupid the other 3 people can normally keep you in check. Plus as a sorcery this is a lot harder to abuse then the creatures.

[quote name='-Lightray Daedalus-' timestamp='1334011351' post='5908025']

??????

What?
[/quote]

My thoughts precisely.

Apart from quickly drawing those big enchantments, I can think of nothing this would massively cause abuse on.

[quote name='-Lightray Daedalus-' timestamp='1334011351' post='5908025']
??????

What?
[/quote]
[quote name='.Rai' timestamp='1334011456' post='5908033']
My thoughts precisely.
[/quote]

I run two standard decks: Mono-Red Control and Blue-Black Zombie Control Combo. If you haven't noticed, I kinda have a thing for Control.

Mono-Red Control uses burn cards and Tumble Magnet to kill or neutralize the opponent's creatures and Koth to win (or just throwing all my burn cards at my opponent, but this second option is usually the less favorable of the two).

Blue-Black Zombie Control Combo is a zombie deck that focuses mainly on a combo involving Bloodline Keeper and Grimgrin, and more usually also Necrotic Ooze and Trespassing Souleater. For the early game, I use the deck's smaller zombie components: Gravecrawlers, Screeching Scaab, Diregraf Captains. Havengul Liches are used to ensure I can bring my aggro creatures back again and again, or get pieces of my combo back. The deck uses removal and counterspells as well, to ensure the opponent doesn't do anything particularly dangerous to the upcoming combo.

[quote name='Mysty' timestamp='1334066202' post='5908932']

I run two standard decks: Mono-Red Control and Blue-Black Zombie Control Combo. If you haven't noticed, I kinda have a thing for Control.

Mono-Red Control uses burn cards and Tumble Magnet to kill or neutralize the opponent's creatures and Koth to win (or just throwing all my burn cards at my opponent, but this second option is usually the less favorable of the two).

Blue-Black Zombie Control Combo is a zombie deck that focuses mainly on a combo involving Bloodline Keeper and Grimgrin, and more usually also Necrotic Ooze and Trespassing Souleater. For the early game, I use the deck's smaller zombie components: Gravecrawlers, Screeching Scaab, Diregraf Captains. Havengul Liches are used to ensure I can bring my aggro creatures back again and again, or get pieces of my combo back. The deck uses removal and counterspells as well, to ensure the opponent doesn't do anything particularly dangerous to the upcoming combo.
[/quote]

Why does it seem that you hardly even have space for Temporal Mastery. You should be running Ponder, Gitaxian Probe, Go for the Throat, or Doom Blade, before this.

[quote name='Mysty' timestamp='1334066202' post='5908932']

[/quote]

First Deck is Just a Mono Red Aggro Deck with Tumblet Magnets on it...there isn't such a thing as Control Deck in Red

Second is Just a Blue/Black Zombie Aggro Deck..with counters in it...there are only 1 real Combo Deck in Standard and that even isn't that combo (Burning Vengance) And a lot of stuff put in there...

[quote name='-Lightray Daedalus-' timestamp='1334070333' post='5908987']
First Deck is Just a Mono Red Aggro Deck with Tumblet Magnets on it...there isn't such a thing as Control Deck in Red

Second is Just a Blue/Black Zombie Aggro Deck..with counters in it...there are only 1 real Combo Deck in Standard and that even isn't that combo (Burning Vengance) And a lot of stuff put in there...
[/quote]

It's also a playstyle kind of thing as well. There's a significant difference between playing the two styles, and some decks can take either route.

Red with Koth and big creatures (Inferno Titan and/or Wurmcoil Engine) is known as Big Red and is a variant of Mono-Red control.
Just because it isn't meta, doesn't mean it doesn't exist among the casual crowds.

Zombie Aggro decks don't run Blue or Bloodline Keeper; they run Geralf's Messenger and Phyrexian Obliterators, and maybe a touch of red. Not to mention the aggro strategy isn't the primary strategy, it's the combo that usually does the trick - the aggro is just there to draw out removal or force the opponent to step back a bit. As mentioned again, just because it isn't meta, doesn't mean it doesn't exist among casual crowds.

And, .Rai, I currently have three spots open in the deck for experimentation purposes, since the basic needs are somewhat covered. I'd certainly like to try out 3 of these in those experimentation spots just to see how they work.

[quote name='Mysty' timestamp='1334076321' post='5909041']
Zombie Aggro decks don't run Blue or Bloodline Keeper; they run Geralf's Messenger and Phyrexian Obliterators, and maybe a touch of red. Not to mention the aggro strategy isn't the primary strategy, it's the combo that usually does the trick - the aggro is just there to draw out removal or force the opponent to step back a bit. As mentioned again, just because it isn't meta, doesn't mean it doesn't exist among casual crowds.
[/quote]
Zombie Aggro touchs Blue more so then Red. Really the Captain and Image are so much better then the cards they get in Red.

Archived