Royal Oppression: Discussion

Guest Chaos Pudding

14sphqp.jpg

This card is the most anti-meta card at the moment, beating out Macro Cosmos/Dimensional Fissure from last format. Ironic, then, that one of the most-likely-to-be-high-tier decks Mains 3 of these. Every deck that isn't prepared for this card suffers greatly when it hits the field. It makes Oppression Gadgets what they are. All around a very effective card. Of course, being a Trap means it has all the risks involved, and being a Continuous comes with even more issues, but the fact that it stops Special Summons cold is a powerful effect.

Guest Chaos Pudding

Yeah, I should have mentioned the Life Point thing. But if you are any good at this game, you know that advantage > Life Points.

Guest Chaos Pudding

My only problem with this card is in the last line of its effect.

Your opponent can use it.

thats the major turnoff...

Why would you run this card in a deck where your opponent could abuse it?

My only problem with this card is in the last line of its effect.

Your opponent can use it.

thats the major turnoff...

The decks that run it (such as Gadgets) wouldn't use Special Summons. That's like saying that Dimensional Fissure is bad because you can't use Monster Reborn.

Makes Gadgets excellent, makes anyone with DaD in their hands cry when they lose whilst this card is face up.

Kid with 3 DaD and Boston accent activates Hand Destruction, throws two Darks and draws two.

Friend: Chains Royal Oppression.

Kid: WHAT???

Friend: I think you lose. Anything else?

Kid: WHAT? WHAT??????!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Yeah, Set 1 S/T and go. (he has 1 Knight Face Up)

Friend uses Smashing ground, kills A. Knight, summons Red Gadget (had green down) and attacks, kid activates Escape from Dark D., friend laughs, kids like... OH... Wrong one... and flips Mirror Force, friend chains solemn and says "GG"

Kid: If it wasn't for that solemn, you woudda lost, I woudda gotten Zerato on the field next turn regardless of that Oppression.

Friend: Whatever you say Buddy.

Kid = Some 18-22 year old who wasted all that money on a DaD deck that can't beat Oppression Gadgets, and also couldn't get over the fact that he lost (in the end, he lost 2-0, but the one above was the first. you can imagine how angry the kid was after the second)

And THAT is why Royal Oppression is good. That, and 1, the card art, and 2, the clear display of statism in the picture.

Guest PikaPerson01

The Yu-Gi-Oh AI in WC'08 does this card wrong... >_>

8000/8000 LP

Me: "Summon Treeborn Frog!"

Them: "Royal Oppression! Negate!"

Me: "... It's still my standby. Summon Frog!"

Them: "Negate!"

Me: ">_>"

8000/800 LP

Me: "Summon Raiza. Spin Royal Opression to the top of your deck. GG?"

I guess I was confused before about the effect. Why haven't people been using this before?

Well, for a start, most of last format was dominated by Monarchs, and as Pika noted, using Royal Oppression on Treeborn Frog is just stupid. It also can't stop Apprentice Magician and Hydrogeddon, since they activate during the Damage Step, and it can't block Soul Exchange either. So basically, it was vulnerable to Generic Monarchs, Perfect Circle Monarchs, Hydro Monarchs, Apprentice Monarchs, and Soul Control Monarchs. And since Twilight Circle is basically PCM +LADD -Thestalos/Zaborg, it was vulnerable to that too, and that was the top deck of the day. Also, it didn't help that Blue Thunder T-45 wasn't out.

Guest Chaos Pudding

Allright that is one hell of a card for this meta {slides 2 in pocket monarch deck}

You mean "Sides", right?

Aw, man. I was hoping that there would be more tension and disagreeing. Like old times, you know?

Guest Chaos Pudding

You're running MACRO MONARCHS. MACRO MONARCHS. Royal Oppression in MACRO MONARCHS? You may as well run The Cheerful Coffin while you're at it.

How do you know that he is running Macro Monarchs?

Allright that is one hell of a card for this meta {slides 2 in pocket monarch deck}

You're running MACRO MONARCHS. MACRO MONARCHS. Royal Oppression in MACRO MONARCHS? You may as well run The Cheerful Coffin while you're at it.

Yes i now its bad in a macro monarch deck Hint the sarcasm and i call it pocket monarchs as its a nickname me and my friends came up with to confuse oppoints

Archived