Nicki Minaj's attack on Muslims (another controversy)

Thar

[color=#000000][size=6]"Assalamu alaikum, where the f*ck is akbar?"[/size][/color]

[size=3]Apparently this quote from the lyrics of one of Nicki Minaj's songs [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iardVrEYuA"]"Beam Me Up Scotty"[/url] has attracted some negative attention from the Muslim population, which is quite a lot given that Islam is officially above Christianity in numbers.[/size]

[size=3]The lyrics translate to something along the lines of "Allah the greatest one, where the f*ck is he?" and further into the song she tells the ideal Muslim to valet her car as if she owned the world.[/size]

[size=3]It's a matter of opinion, of course, but as a neutral member of society, I find great disgust in the symbolism of rubbing an atheist idea in the faces of civilized religious people to promote the idea that money and fame is above any God that people choose to worship for their own reasons.[/size]

[size=3]I was never a fan of Nicki, but a certain status by a guy named Matt Groose introduced me to this controversy:[/size]

[size=3][spoiler=what he had to say][/size]
[size=3]Niki,[/size]

[size=3]I'm not muslim. [/size]

[size=3]I despise you because you are the worst kind of person. Actually, the music producer who first heard your terrible excuse for music and helped bring you into the spotlight because it was profitable, is the worst kind of person. You are the second worst kind of person, a talent-less, embarrassment to music and my country. You serve no benefit to our society, you promote sex and drug use to a teenage female demographic and should be ashamed of yourself. The corporations who allow you to represent and advertise their products are just as guilty, and should be boycotted. I hope that every single one of the 1.5 million people who like this page reads this and re-thinks what type of people deserve to be famous. [/size]

[size=3]Lil' Wayne retired yesterday to pursue skateboarding and it was a great day for music. You should retire tomorrow and pursue being permanently irrelevant for the benefit of the human race.[/size]
[/spoiler]

[size=3]Be it irrelevant and blindly attacking in it's majority, my personal opinion agrees with it 100%. However, other people choose to defend her in this case, which is completely fine, but personally it just sounds very ignorant to do so with such a sick image on the pedestal.[/size]

Anyway, comments and discussion on this subject. Go.

She's a terrible person, for this and for other reasons, but honestly, bands have been using lyrics far worse than this, (usually in reference to Christianity, but no exclusively) for years. Why no backlash from non-Christians (or non-whatevers) against those?

The only reason people are rising up against this song is because she's ridiculously popular. I mean, I suppose it's a good thing that there's controversy, but still.

Personally I think she can say whatever she wants (or what the songwriters chooses). I mean with the music I make, I have no intention of saying anything negative about any large group of people, being that I'm an atheist; I still have respect for what people believe in. If I say anything negative in my music, it'll be about one of my ex girlfriends, and they are just one person and not one of the largest religions in the world that have... (well this statement is going nowhere, but you know what I mean, lol)

But as far as her talent goes, she's pretty bad.

But I did find this post of Facebook and I highly agree.

[spoiler=Nicki Minaj's Wall post][color=#333333]DEAR MISS MINAJ , [/color]

[color=#333333]I HAVE NOT LIKED YOUR PAGE BUT & WONT EITHER BECAUSE MY LORD ALLAH MOST HIGH HAS FORBADE ME TO ![/color]
[color=#333333]IT'S SAD THAT YOU HAVE USED THE BEAUTIFUL RELIGION OF ISLAM ,TO PIGGY BACK YOURSELF TO STARDOM , WHICH ALLAH THE MOST HIGH BLESSED YOU ENOUGH WITH ANYWAYS , SO THAT YOU CAN MAKE MORE MONEY THAT YOU WONT HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO SPEND , TO BUY THINGS YOU DONT NEED & TO PLEASE PEOPLE YOU DONT EVEN LIKE ! THE THOUGHT THAT YOU WOULD BE SATISFIED WITH , THE AMOUNT YOU ALREADY HAVE , BUT THE SOUL UNTAMED ALWAYS YEARNS FOR MORE ... I'M GUESSING YOU WILL NOT SEE THIS MESSAGE , BUT I HAVE MADE IT ON THE HOPE THAT ALLAH MOST HIGH WOULD NOT JUDGE ME FOR JUST SITTING AROUND & NOT MAKING A PEACEFUL STANCE & IN THE HOPE THAT OUT OF YOUR 20,903,184 likes , THAT SOME GIIRLS ( OF ANY NATIONALITY OF CREED ) WILL SEE THE TRUE PICTURE & NOT MAKE YOU AS A ROLE MODEL ! IM SURE YOU MAYBE GOOD HEARTED BUT THE EFFECT YOU CLEARLY KNOW YOU HAVE ON THE YOUNGER GEN[/color]
[color=#333333]ERATION , ISNT GOOD AT ALL & YOU SHOULD TAKE MORE CONSIDERATION INTO YOUR ACTIONS ...
AS HUMANS WE SHOULD ELEVATE EACH OTHER , NOT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF EACH OTHER FOR OWN DESIRES !!!

YOURS TRULY , HUMAN BEING ....

NIZAM SAEED[/spoiler][/color]

[quote name='FindingTheEverlight' timestamp='1344661665' post='6003762']
Personally I think she can say whatever she wants (or what the songwriters chooses).
[/quote]

Totally, because she is incredibly popular to the point where such controversy on her part means absolutely nothing to her. She just wants to make money and "entertain" her fans. It's what she chose to make of her life.

And personally, that wall post wasn't very impressive. Not that I'm disagreeing with his religion in any way, just...caps lock...terrible grammar...ew.

[quote name='Thar Ablaze' timestamp='1344662034' post='6003766']
Totally, because she is incredibly popular to the point where such controversy on her part means absolutely nothing to her. She just wants to make money and "entertain" her fans. It's what she chose to make of her life.

And personally, that wall post wasn't very impressive. Not that I'm disagreeing with his religion in any way, just...caps lock...terrible grammar...ew.
[/quote]

Her popularity has gotten the best of her, I guess.

And yes, that wasn't the best quote, I just went with one of the first ones that I saw on her page that had some sort of decent relevance.

Oh, I just actually listened to this song, first of all she used Yao Ming in a verse and referenced him to Kawaski, if anyone has a mind they'd see the inaccuracy and the random stereotype of that. With that being said, I really don't think that she personally attacked Islam, it was more of her idiocy taking over. Even with that, the song made absolutely no sense at all. I've seen lyrics that made more sense from Lol Wayne, and that's hard to find.

That song just disgusts me due to that song's moronic and ignorant content. She should just be shot so the world could be rid of any more awful music like this. Plus, this song wasn't even catchy and sounded terrible.

[quote name='FindingTheEverlight' timestamp='1344662765' post='6003772']
That song just disgusts me due to that song's moronic and ignorant content. She should just be shot so the world could be rid of any more awful music like this. Plus, this song wasn't even catchy and sounded terrible.
[/quote]

Stupid hoe was worse. Hell, if you bring up any of Nicki's songs, it'd be safe to say it makes no sense at all and it sounds terrible.

[quote name='Thar Ablaze' timestamp='1344663830' post='6003784']
Stupid hoe was worse. Hell, if you bring up any of Nicki's songs, it'd be safe to say it makes no sense at all and it sounds terrible.
[/quote]

I've never even heard the song, neither do I intend on it. She isn't the type of artist [citation needed] I would listen to anyway. If I want real/current Hip-Hop/Rap, I'll stick to Wiz Khalifa.

I have no clue myself whether I'm actually classing Nicki Minaj as a rapper, but on her mixtapes (not her albums, mind), she's actually a half-decent rapper. This is when she's pretending to be a gay British guy called Roman or being possessed by Katy Perry. The song has lines that reference Amy Winehouse's drug addiction, pirating, soft racism and the entire song is her being a diva.

Did we expect anything else from Nicki Minaj?

Not saying I agree with her. Absolutely not. I find that she's far too aggressive of a lyricist. Not even a good aggressive, but the sort of aggressiveness that just kinda rubs on you the wrong way. She's too immature. As a celebrity, whether you like it or not, but your actions are in the spotlight and you can't set a bad example.

Oh, and why are talking about this specific example anyway? This is a song from 3 years ago and it's only been brought up now?

I can't believe I was infatuated with music like Nicki Minaj's. The thing that's distasteful about her music is her lyrics and expression about drugs and drinking to a teenage demographic, and I find it hard to believe her next approach was to make this sort of referrence. In general, I belive her sense of style and music is sort of flamboyant, but at a close work, her catchy songs can be disgusting.

[quote name='Light Υagami' timestamp='1344699842' post='6004089']
I can't believe I was infatuated with music like Nicki Minaj's. The thing that's distasteful about her music is her lyrics and expression about drugs and drinking to a teenage demographic, and I find it hard to believe her next approach was to make this sort of referrence. In general, I belive her sense of style and music is sort of flamboyant, but at a close work, her catchy songs can be disgusting.
[/quote]

It wasn't her 'next' approach to make this reference. This was before her debut album.

The mixtape this song was from is basically how she became famous.

[quote name='.Rai' timestamp='1344701598' post='6004125']
It wasn't her 'next' approach to make this reference. This was before her debut album.

The mixtape this song was from is basically how she became famous.
[/quote]

I never really pay attention to her music. To me, it seems like she's an overrated celebrity like the rest.

[quote name='iKira' timestamp='1344710769' post='6004271']
I would like to point out that those particular lyrics actually translate to "May peace be with you, where the f*** is Great (or The Great depending on the horrible usage >.>)?

yeah, it doesn't even make much sense to begin with
[/quote]

Yeah, Nicki didn't do a very good job translating it. But from what the whole controversy is about, Muslims got the general idea of her questioning their God's existence, which is why few paid any attention to the technicality of it.

I wasn't one for bashing musical artists, I mean, even Bieber and Jepsen have redeeming moments.
Then I listened to "Stupid Hoe".

This is my comment:

[i]"I watched this for the Mario reference at [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaC-zCMLTKU#"]0:31[/url].[/i]
[i]The rest of the song made me cry.[/i]
[i]I can respect Justin Bieber and Carly Rae Jepsen as artists, but this "song" has no substance at all, and the fact that she even mentions Michael Jackson is an insult to music."[/i]

If any of her other songs even approach this level, she needs to quit music. Eminem had controversial lyrics, but at least he mixed up what he said...

EDIT: The worst part is, only 3 hours afterward, I've already been downvoted enough to be hidden, which means people strongly disagree...

"Peace be with you, where the f^ck is he?"

Could have at least used right Arabic phrase: "Allahu akbar".

People, including musicians (although it is debatable whether Minaj is a musician or not), have a right to say whatever they want. This is a constitutional right, and the right that is the most important of all rights. Voltaire's most famous quote: "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

In America, yes. But the song was publicized all around the world, where Freedom of Speech doesn't apply in the same manner. Plus Muslims tend to take things seriously. One example is when South Park "mocked" them for comedic reasons. Not too long after we recieved a death threat from them.

Assalamu alaikum is a GREETING, jeez. And the other person replies with something along the lines of 'Walaikum salam'. The word 'Akhbar' means great, and is used in conjecture with the word 'Allah', thus 'Allah Akhbar', 'God is Great'.

[b]I don't understand Nicki Minaj.[/b]

I've listened to her songs, and I just don't understand. How did she become famous? How did she? Honestly, how did she? She isn't a benefit to society, she doesn't make any inspirational songs, she's just a joke with insulting parody songs. She has no substance. Why is she famous? Why?

Honestly, why?

Personally living in Indonesia myself, a Muslim country, I've come to respect their religion. In my own personal point of view, religion is a sacred thing and should never be parodied or made fun of. I mean, it's okay if they make a comedy movie involving God torturing a random guy from start to finish, but not if they depict Jesus or somebody like that being a fraud. It just doesn't sit right with me. And that's the same for the Muslims.

I try to have faith in people's best intentions and try to interpret their words and actions in as good a way as I can interpret them as all conflicts are caused by misunderstandings. I'll grant that the lyrics could've been more tactful. I don't, however, think that it's fair to demonize her here for what she said here when she meant to lament upon how the world seems to be in such a poor state that it seems as though Allah has forsaken it. It's meant to mean "Where are you Allah? The world is suffering and is in need of your greatness."

[quote]
[color=#333333]DEAR MISS MINAJ , [/color]

[color=#333333]I HAVE NOT LIKED YOUR PAGE BUT & WONT EITHER BECAUSE MY LORD ALLAH MOST HIGH HAS FORBADE ME TO ![/color]
[color=#333333]IT'S SAD THAT YOU HAVE USED THE BEAUTIFUL RELIGION OF ISLAM ,TO PIGGY BACK YOURSELF TO STARDOM , WHICH ALLAH THE MOST HIGH BLESSED YOU ENOUGH WITH ANYWAYS , SO THAT YOU CAN MAKE MORE MONEY THAT YOU WONT HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO SPEND , TO BUY THINGS YOU DONT NEED & TO PLEASE PEOPLE YOU DONT EVEN LIKE ! THE THOUGHT THAT YOU WOULD BE SATISFIED WITH , THE AMOUNT YOU ALREADY HAVE , BUT THE SOUL UNTAMED ALWAYS YEARNS FOR MORE ... I'M GUESSING YOU WILL NOT SEE THIS MESSAGE , BUT I HAVE MADE IT ON THE HOPE THAT ALLAH MOST HIGH WOULD NOT JUDGE ME FOR JUST SITTING AROUND & NOT MAKING A PEACEFUL STANCE & IN THE HOPE THAT OUT OF YOUR 20,903,184 likes , THAT SOME GIIRLS ( OF ANY NATIONALITY OF CREED ) WILL SEE THE TRUE PICTURE & NOT MAKE YOU AS A ROLE MODEL ! IM SURE YOU MAYBE GOOD HEARTED BUT THE EFFECT YOU CLEARLY KNOW YOU HAVE ON THE YOUNGER GEN[/color]
[color=#333333]ERATION , ISNT GOOD AT ALL & YOU SHOULD TAKE MORE CONSIDERATION INTO YOUR ACTIONS ...
AS HUMANS WE SHOULD ELEVATE EACH OTHER , NOT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF EACH OTHER FOR OWN DESIRES !!!

YOURS TRULY , HUMAN BEING ....

NIZAM SAEED[/quote][/color]

[color=#333333]I thought this was much more fair than Groose's venom. It states that he's sure she's good-hearted but that he would have her put more thought into her lyrics. Simply calling someone "the worst kind of person" without any sort of constructive criticism as Groose did is more likely to enrage Nicki Minaj than make her want to put more thought into her lyrics.[/color]

[color=#333333]Nicki Minaj is a powerful voice right now, she has a lot of different expectations from different people and it'd be impossible for her to comply with all of them.[/color]

And keep in mind, the religion of Islam is a young one, and therefore arrogant and forceful. They want the dominance and lack of questioning they have in the Middle East. If Minaj has said "Where the f*ck is God?", there would be much less of an uproar. Christianity, as unpleasant as it often is, at least tolerates criticism. Remember what happened to Salman Rushdie?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gutCFMc5khY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gutCFMc5khY[/url]

A fair number of metal artists have been bashing religion, no less god, Allah, etc., and then some, before Minaj was even in the music business. The only reason she's getting rage hate from people is because she's popular.

She can tell the presidents (future, past, present, whatever), that they suck at their jobs and she can do better. She can tell MTV that they're doing a great job. She can tell Kristen Stewart that she's an emotional drama queen. She can come to my house and tell me I'm just some metalhead retarded scumbag that's useless in society.

And you know what? Not a single f*ck will be given. All of her songs are crap and mostly a terrible influence on the younger generation (from what I heard, and from the 30 seconds I wasted on that stupid hoe song). It's not like she has any intelligence to back up her useless opinions. Right?

[quote name='Enrise' timestamp='1344874116' post='6006454']
She can tell Kristen Stewart that she's an emotional drama queen.
[/quote]

[size=5]tell Kristen Stewart that she's an emotional drama queen.[/size]

[size=6]Kristen Stewart ...an emotional drama queen.[/size]

[size=7]Kristen Stewart ...an emotional.[/size]

[size=8]Kristen Stewart ...emotion.[/size]

[size=3]lol.[/size]

[img]http://static.fjcdn.com/large/pictures/f0/c2/f0c276_1453355.jpg[/img]

Im also surprised that people care. Like, its just someone's choice of words. I mean, its not like we have a freedom of speech or something like that...oh wait.

Archived