[MTG] Jace, Architect of Thought

Flame Dragon

The +1 only barely counts as a self-protection ability. It isn't even worded right to be useful in multiplayer, since wherever the opponents attack they'll still lose power for the turn.

The -2 basically says "get 2 cards or the card you really wanted." For mana to do that once or twice, not worth it.

The -8 is great in EDH and horrible elsewhere.

Overall, maybe worth 3 mana, but 4 is way too much.

[quote name='.Rai' timestamp='1346594642' post='6017827']
Just saying, it's a multiplayer planeswalker.

Look at all its abilities, then realise that it's a million times better in multiplayer.
[/quote]

It would be "a lot better in multiplayer" if the first ability made it so only creatures attacking you or planeswalkers you control get -1/-0. As its first ability stands, it still pisses everyone off.
However, the possible politics involved in the second ability and obvious combos that can only be done when you get 2 or more pieces do very well define it as quite better in multiplayer.

[quote name='Mysty' timestamp='1346596553' post='6017834']
It would be "a lot better in multiplayer" if the first ability made it so only creatures attacking you or planeswalkers you control get -1/-0. As its first ability stands, it still pisses everyone off.
However, the possible politics involved in the second ability and obvious combos that can only be done when you get 2 or more pieces do very well define it as quite better in multiplayer.
[/quote]

The first ability isn't that bad. It's definitely better in Modern though (lols at Soul Sisters, lols at every single W/x token deck, lols at Deceiver Exarch/Splinter Twin decks, and in all other cases, cushions you a bit).

I kinda want to use Jace with Tamiyo. Jace as your 4-drop, Tamiyo as your 5-drop and finish with a bomb.

[quote name='-Lightray Daedalus-' timestamp='1346603534' post='6017879']
Which is the important thing about it...I mean it only affect opponents...why more do you want...XD
[/quote]

You're running blue. Why are you attacking?
efore you say Delver, Delver wouldn't run this, it's too slow.

As I mentioned before, it would be better if it only affected creatures attacking you or planeswalkers you control. That way you have a legitimate rattlesnake card for multiplayer.

[quote name='.Rai' timestamp='1346596974' post='6017837']
The first ability isn't that bad. It's definitely better in Modern though (lols at Soul Sisters, lols at every single W/x token deck, lols at Deceiver Exarch/Splinter Twin decks, and in all other cases, cushions you a bit).

I kinda want to use Jace with Tamiyo. Jace as your 4-drop, Tamiyo as your 5-drop and finish with a bomb.
[/quote]

Very interesting idea for a Standard deck. Although currently Blue currently doesn't have any awesome, big creatures at the moment. Maybe next block will change that.

Now that I think about it more, this might have a home in EDH decks, particularly UG ones:
• EDH is a multiplayer format, so the advantages for multiplayer arrive
• The +1 either wrecks someone at the table (because they use 1/1 token combo) or nobody really cares about the negligible -1 power.
• Doubling Season (hence the Green part). He starts with 8 instantly then murders everyone at the table with a combo pulled from everyone else's deck, or just with everyone's best cards.
• You can use the -2 twice, and if all the cards in your deck are good, the only ways you get really shafted are if:
- you reveal 3 lands
- you reveal a bomb and 2 lands, your opponent separates the lands from the bomb, and you really need the 2 lands.

Okay, so my final analysis is that this probably won't see tournament play yet will be somewhat decent for the casual multiplayer and EDH games.

I love this version of him, it's not a blue acceleration straight up, it's a toolbox. a very cheep and very powerful toolbox.
and you don't need that last ability, just spam the first two, and if they happen to be playing a deck goal same to yours, then you grab something that helps you.
and lets all just admitt it: last jace was broke, you just went for that stupid 0 that should have been a -1

[quote name='Mysty' timestamp='1346604279' post='6017885']
As I mentioned before, it would be better if it only affected creatures attacking you or planeswalkers you control. That way you have a legitimate rattlesnake card for multiplayer.
[/quote]

But that is exactly what it does...O_o
Well it also makes your opponent's attacking weaker in General and it last for all your opponent's turn until you get to play again...

Archived