DARK and WATER?! [Murky Archetype]

Organized Chaos

Murky Swamp Thing
WATER/ Fiend/ Effect/ Level 4/ ATK 1900/ DEF 400
This card's Attribute is also treated as DARK. When this card is Normal Summoned: You can set 1 WATER monster with 1600 or less ATK from your hand to your Spell/Trap Zone. If the Set card is flipped face-up, it is treated as a Continuous Trap Card and it's effect becomes:
'Cannot be destroyed by Trap Cards. During each of your End Phases: Gain 500 Life Points for each "Murky" monster on your side of the field. If you would gain 1000 or more Life Points through this effect; You can Special Summon 1 "Murky monster from your graveyard instead. Then send this card to the graveyard."

Murky Barracuda Swarm
DARK/ Fish/ Effect/ Level 3/ ATK 1200/ DEF 0
This card's Attribute is also treated as WATER. This card can attack directly. Each time this card inflicts direct damage: Gain Life Points equal to the damage dealt. If this card is destroyed by your opponent's card (either by battle or by card effect); Set 1 Level 4 or lower "Murky" monster from your Deck to your Spell/Trap Zone as a Trap Card. If the Set card is destroyed; Add 1 "Murky" monster with a different name to the destroyed monster, except "Murky Barracuda Swarm" from your Deck to your hand. Then banish this card from your graveyard.

Murky Swamp Vine
DARK/ Plant/ Effect/ Level 2/ ATK 0/ DEF 0
This card's Attribute is also treated as WATER. You can tribute this card during your Opponent's End Phase; Special Summon 1 "Murky" monster from your Deck or Spell and Trap Zone with ATK equal to or less than the amount of Life Points you gained this turn.

Murky Soulfire
DARK/ Pyro/ Effect/ Level 4/ ATK 1800/ DEF 0
This card's Attribute is also treated as WATER. Once per turn, if your Life Points are higher than your Opponent's; You can select 1 monster on the field; Reduce the selected monster's ATK by the difference between your Life Points and your opponent's Life Points. If a monster's ATK is reduced to 0 by this effect; Destroy it. If this card destroys a monster with it's effect, it cannot attack this turn. Each time this card destroys a monster in battle; Gain Life Points equal to the destroyed monster's DEF. Then discard 1 card.

Murky Water Cloud
WATER/ Aqua/ Effect/ Level 6/ ATK 2000/ DEF 800
This card's Attribute is also treated as DARK. You can reveal this card in your hand: Select 1 Set Spell/Trap card; Flip the selected card face-up. If the selected card is a "Murky" card: Send it to the graveyard; Special Summon this card from your hand. You cannot Normal Summon or Set during the turn you activate this effect. While this card is face-up, each time you gain Life Points; Draw 1 card for each 1000 Life Points gained. When this card is destroyed; Add 1 Level 4 or lower "Murky" monster from your graveyard to your hand. You can only control 1 face-up "Murky Water Cloud" at a time.

Darkened Waters
Continuous Spell
Banish 1 WATER monster from your hand. Destroy 1 monster on the field. While this card is face-up, the destroyed monster cannot leave the graveyard If you do not control a face-up "Murky" monster. Destroy this card. If this card is destroyed by your opponent's card effect; You can banish 1 "Murky" monster in your graveyard; Destroy 1 Spell/Trap card on the field.

Vine Shield
Quickplay Spell
Reveal 1 face-down "Murky" card in your Spell/Trap Zone then banish it. During this turn, "Murky" monsters you control cannot be destroyed by your Opponent's card and each time your Opponent activates a Trap Card; Gain 500 lifepoints.

Sink Mud
Normal Trap
Activate only during the Battle Phase or Main Phase 2. Banish 1 face-up "Murky" monster you control. Destroy 1 card on the field. If the destroyed card was a monster; Gain Life Points equal to the Level of the destroyed monster x 200.

Will add more later. CnC would be appreciated.

Overall I like the idea. I have always liked cards that mess with card placement and card zones. As Saynt said, life point gain is commonly associated with LIGHT monsters, at least moreso than DARK. Let's get on to the individual critiques.

[quote=Murky Swamp Thing]

Murky Swamp Thing
WATER/ Fiend/ Effect/ Level 4/ ATK 1700/ DEF 400
This card's Attribute is also treated as DARK. When this card is Normal Summoned: You can [b]S[/b]et 1 WATER monster from your hand [s]to [/s] [b]in [/b]your Spell/Trap Zone. [s]as a Continuous Trap Card.[/s] If the Set card is flipped face-up, it is treated as a Continuous Trap Card and it's effect becomes:
'[s]This card [/s] [b]C[/b]annot be destroyed by Spell Cards. During each of your End Phases: Gain 500 [b]L[/b]ife [b]Points [/b]for each "Murky" monster on your side of the field. If you gain 1000 or more [b]L[/b]ife [b]P[/b]oints through this effect; You can Special Summon 1 "Murky monster from your [b]G[/b]raveyard. Then send 1 DARK monster from your Deck to your [b]G[/b]raveyard.'
[/quote]
I would suggest reworking this. Gaining life points, as well as Special Summoning a monster seems a bit overpowered to me. Instead perhaps rephrase like the following:
If you would gain more than 1000 Life Points from this effect; You can, instead, Special Summon 1 "Murky" monster from your Graveyard.
Also, because it cannot be destroyed by Spell Cards, perhaps add in a self destruction clause instead of sending the DARK monster to the grave, seeing as moving a monster from the grave is really just another benefit in today's metagame.

[quote=Murky Barracuda Swarm]

Murky Barracuda Swarm
DARK/ Fish/ Effect/ Level 3/ ATK 1200/ DEF 0
This card's Attribute is also treated as WATER. This card can attack directly. Each time this card inflicts direct damage[b];[/b] Gain [b]L[/b]ife [b]P[/b]oints equal to the damage dealt. If this card is destroyed by your [b]o[/b]pponent's card (either by battle or by card effect); Set 1 "Murky" monster from your Deck [b]in [/b]your Spell/Trap Zone.[s] as a Trap Card[/s]. If the Set card is destroyed; Special Summon the destroyed monster.
[/quote]
I think because the way you worded the effect, the monster wouldn't be summoned, because you counted it as a trap card. In my OCG correction I edited that. I have to say that this card's second effect doesn't seem to fit a Barracuda theme. I would consider changing the name.

[quote=Murky Water Cloud]
This card's Attribute is also treated as DARK. You can reveal this card in your hand: Select 1 Set Spell/Trap card; Flip the selected card face-up. If the selected card is a "Murky" card: Send it to the [b]G[/b]raveyard; Special Summon this card from your hand. While this card is face-up, each time you gain [b]L[/b]ife [b]P[/b]oints; Draw 1 card for each 1000 [b]L[/b]ife [b]P[/b]oints gained. When this card is destroyed; Add 1 Level 4 or lower "[b]M[/b]urky" monster from your [b]G[/b]raveyard to your hand. You can only control 1 face-up "Murky Water Cloud" at a time.
[/quote]
The Special Summon clause would be a nice addition to the card, if the other two didn't also have a chance of special summoning this monster. This combined with the other two's effects I think might make this card incredibly too versatile. I would consider getting rid of the Special Summon clause to avoid breaking the archetype.
---

Like I said, I love the idea and the cards are pretty creative, but perhaps a different approach to better fit a 'Murky' theme. I would also like to know if you are planning on adding any more?

[quote name='~Renegade~' timestamp='1354155412' post='6080617']
Overall I like the idea. I have always liked cards that mess with card placement and card zones. As Saynt said, life point gain is commonly associated with LIGHT monsters, at least moreso than DARK. Let's get on to the individual critiques.

I would suggest reworking this. Gaining life points, as well as Special Summoning a monster seems a bit overpowered to me. Instead perhaps rephrase like the following:
If you would gain more than 1000 Life Points from this effect; You can, instead, Special Summon 1 "Murky" monster from your Graveyard.
Also, because it cannot be destroyed by Spell Cards, perhaps add in a self destruction clause instead of sending the DARK monster to the grave, seeing as moving a monster from the grave is really just another benefit in today's metagame.

I think because the way you worded the effect, the monster wouldn't be summoned, because you counted it as a trap card. In my OCG correction I edited that. I have to say that this card's second effect doesn't seem to fit a Barracuda theme. I would consider changing the name.

The Special Summon clause would be a nice addition to the card, if the other two didn't also have a chance of special summoning this monster. This combined with the other two's effects I think might make this card incredibly too versatile. I would consider getting rid of the Special Summon clause to avoid breaking the archetype.
---

Like I said, I love the idea and the cards are pretty creative, but perhaps a different approach to better fit a 'Murky' theme. I would also like to know if you are planning on adding any more?
[/quote]

To be honest, i do agree with what you said. I thought Setting monsters as traps would fit Murky (because they're hiding in the swamps sort of thing but what else would you suggest. Thank you fort commenting as I rarely get comments, especially ones as informative as your's. Will edit now. + 2 new cards added.

[quote name='Endless Nightmares' timestamp='1354208380' post='6080976']
To be honest, i do agree with what you said. I thought Setting monsters as traps would fit Murky (because they're hiding in the swamps sort of thing but what else would you suggest. Thank you fort commenting as I rarely get comments, especially ones as informative as your's. Will edit now. + 2 new cards added.
[/quote]

Okay, so hiding as Trap monsters does represent them fairly well. So I imagine I was looking at it wrong. I was seeing it as WATER monster hiding in the depths of the ocean and then DARK monsters gaining LP, but now I see you meant it as DARK monsters hiding in the shadows/swamps and and WATER monsters gaining LP, which is a bit more fitting. As for what I would do, something that would be fun would be forcing your opponent's monsters into Spell and Trap Card Zones, like a wave pushing them back or something. Not only would it prevent them from Special Summoning them from the grave, but also would lock up their Spell/Trap Card Zone and then the summoning conditions for your more powerful monsters could be to destroy monsters in your opponent's S/T card zones.

[quote=Murky Swamp Vine]

Murky Swamp Vine
DARK/ Plant/ Effect/ Level 2/ ATK 0/ DEF 0
This card's Attribute is also treated as WATER. You can [b]T[/b]ribute this card[b], during the End Phase[/b]; Special Summon 1 "Murky" monster from your Deck [b]or Spell and Trap Card Zone[/b] with ATK equal to or less than the amount of Life Points you gained [b]from "Murky" cards you control [/b] this turn[b].[/b]. You cannot Special Summon any other monsters or activate Trap Cards until your next Standby Phase.
[/quote]

I see you tried to incorporate some drawbacks in your effect, so kudos to that. Another alternative, if you wanted, would be to make it so you could only tribute it during your opponent's end phase, and then just git rid of that last sentence, seeing as it is a 0/0 monster. This card is decent, but I would like to start seeing some destructive engines for this archtype, seeing as you already have lots of swarming abilities.

[quote=Darkened Waters]

Darkened Waters
Continuous Spell
Banish 1 WATER monster from your hand[b]; [/b]Special Summon 1 DARK monster with a lower [b]L[/b]evel and less ATK than the banished monster from your [b]G[/b]raveyard. If you do not control a face-up "Murky" monster[b]; [/b]Destroy this card. If this card is destroyed; Destroy the Special Summoned monster. If this card is destroyed by your opponent's card effect[b]....? <--- you may have forgot something here.[/b]
[/quote]

I'll wait to pass full judgement on this card until later, to see if there is more to this card's effect, but as I see it, you once again have some more special summoning power, while useful is becoming extremely abundant in this archetype.

---

Glad I could help. Keep these card's coming, I like them a lot.

[quote name='~Renegade~' timestamp='1354229647' post='6081205']
Okay, so hiding as Trap monsters does represent them fairly well. So I imagine I was looking at it wrong. I was seeing it as WATER monster hiding in the depths of the ocean and then DARK monsters gaining LP, but now I see you meant it as DARK monsters hiding in the shadows/swamps and and WATER monsters gaining LP, which is a bit more fitting. As for what I would do, something that would be fun would be forcing your opponent's monsters into Spell and Trap Card Zones, like a wave pushing them back or something. Not only would it prevent them from Special Summoning them from the grave, but also would lock up their Spell/Trap Card Zone and then the summoning conditions for your more powerful monsters could be to destroy monsters in your opponent's S/T card zones.

I see you tried to incorporate some drawbacks in your effect, so kudos to that. Another alternative, if you wanted, would be to make it so you could only tribute it during your opponent's end phase, and then just git rid of that last sentence, seeing as it is a 0/0 monster. This card is decent, but I would like to start seeing some destructive engines for this archtype, seeing as you already have lots of swarming abilities.

I'll wait to pass full judgement on this card until later, to see if there is more to this card's effect, but as I see it, you once again have some more special summoning power, while useful is becoming extremely abundant in this archetype.

---

Glad I could help. Keep these card's coming, I like them a lot.
[/quote]

Edits made. I do agree with your idea and a destruction engine would help. New cards added. Thanks again for your assistance and continued good ideas. Although I might not use that suggestion of sending your opponent's monsters to S/T Zone for this set but is it OK if I use that idea for a future set? It's a really good original idea but I wanna keep with the original theme. Once again, thank you very much.

[quote name='Endless Nightmares' timestamp='1354312115' post='6081834']
Edits made. I do agree with your idea and a destruction engine would help. New cards added. Thanks again for your assistance and continued good ideas. Although I might not use that suggestion of sending your opponent's monsters to S/T Zone for this set but is it OK if I use that idea for a future set? It's a really good original idea but I wanna keep with the original theme. Once again, thank you very much.
[/quote]

Yeah go ahead. Yeah it is a little late to be changing themes now.

[quote=Murky Soulfire]

Murky Soulfire
DARK/ Pyro/ Effect/ Level 4/ ATK 1800/ DEF 0
This card's Attribute is also treated as WATER. Once per turn, if your Life Points are higher than your opponent's; You can select 1 monster on the field; Reduce the selected monster[b]'s ATK[/b] by the difference between your Life Points and your opponent's Life Points. If a monster's ATK is reduced to 800 or less by this effect; Destroy it. Each time this card destroys a monster in battle[b];[/b] Gain Life Points equal to the destroyed monster's DEF[b]; D[/b]iscard 1 card.
[/quote]

Nice little destruction monster you have here. I love the encompassing of actually 3 different elements. With the massive amounts of LP gaining with this archetype I would say just reduced to 0 destroy it. Also, I would add in "This card cannot attack if it destroys a monster by this effect."

[quote=Sinking Mud]

Sinking Mud [b](Name Change: Sink Mud, just because I am a stickler for names making sense)[/b]
Normal Trap
Activate only during the Battle Phase or Main Phase 2. Banish 1 face-up "Murky" monster you control[b]; [/b]Destroy 1 card on the field. If the destroyed card was a monster; Gain Life Points equal to the Level of the destroyed monster x 200.
[/quote]

Nice trap. It is definitely a good card, encompassing both a needed destruction engine and then a nice little increase to keep with the theme.

[quote name='~Renegade~' timestamp='1354465100' post='6083253']
Yeah go ahead. Yeah it is a little late to be changing themes now.

Nice little destruction monster you have here. I love the encompassing of actually 3 different elements. With the massive amounts of LP gaining with this archetype I would say just reduced to 0 destroy it. Also, I would add in "This card cannot attack if it destroys a monster by this effect."

Nice trap. It is definitely a good card, encompassing both a needed destruction engine and then a nice little increase to keep with the theme.
[/quote]
Once again, thank you fro commenting. Edits have been made and a new card has been added.

[quote=Vine Shield]

Vine Shield
Quickplay Spell
Reveal 1 face-down "Murky" card in your Spell/Trap Zone[b]; S[/b]end it to the [b]G[/b]raveyard. During this turn, "Murky" monsters you control cannot be destroyed. [b]E[/b]ach time your opponent activates a Trap Card[b], this turn[/b]; Gain 500 [b]Life Points[/b]. During the End Phase; Draw 1 card.
[/quote]

This card is unfortunately fairly OP'ed. I definitely agree that you need a card that can protect your Murky monsters, but saying they cannot be destroyed by all, AND you gain LP if your opponent activates traps, AND you get to draw a card with only the small drawback of having to send 1 card to the grave is just way too overpowered. Perhaps banish the "Murky" card and get rid of the draw 1 card. Also add in after 'destroyed' "by a card your opponent controls."

[quote name='~Renegade~' timestamp='1354472413' post='6083337']
This card is unfortunately fairly OP'ed. I definitely agree that you need a card that can protect your Murky monsters, but saying they cannot be destroyed by all, AND you gain LP if your opponent activates traps, AND you get to draw a card with only the small drawback of having to send 1 card to the grave is just way too overpowered. Perhaps banish the "Murky" card and get rid of the draw 1 card. Also add in after 'destroyed' "by a card your opponent controls."
[/quote]
Thank you for telling me. I wasn't sure if the draw 1 thing would break it but i guess it did. Edits made.

Archived