The YCM Magic: the Gathering Collaborative Set Project

bury the year

I realise that you're very much a designer. Flavour-driven. I fit easier into development roles. It's good to have a designer and a developer on the team.

Note that Landfall is much easier to fulfill than Reverb, and Landfall is also a trigger ability, not a threshold. So, it's easier and can trigger more than once in a turn (as seen with fetchlands).

From a balance point of view, it should be fine to let Reverb be that easier to cast. From a point of view, your version of Reverb only really becomes possible from turn 3 onwards (with three one-mana spells). Without heavy reliance on cantrips, I don't see that happening very often: not in competitive play or in Limited. On average, a player plays about one spell a turn (because of how ramp works). Control players may occasionally play two a turn with very cheap draw, but they split it between turns with instant-speed draw. Only very aggressive aggro decks can even fulfil three spells a turn easily.

Two spells a turn is still a very viable mechanic. Example:

Charmpyre Goliath 4R
Creature - Giant Shaman {C}
Reverb - If two or more spells were cast this turn, Charmpyre Goliath enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters on it.
[b][3/3][/b]

Perfectly viable card. On turn 6, with another 1-mana card, it's a vanilla 5/5 common. If it was three or more, well, I wouldn't pick it out in a draft ever.

Problem is that the more extreme you put the threshold on something, the more polarized it becomes. It either becomes an extremely competitive Reverb effect, or a depressingly hard-to-achieve one. Putting it more in the middle means more design space and less cards. And, to be honest, as long as we don't put too many one-mana cards in the set at common or uncommon, we should be completely fine with two or more Reverb.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I guess I'm convinced. My view point is skewed because I play weenie decks a lot, thus I see a disproportionate amount of low CMC spells pass my way. I still reserve a bit of hesitation, though, so we'll just see how things pan out. My only thing is that it should be only your spells that are counted towards the total, so it'd word something like this:

[b]Soil's Bounty[/b] [img]http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manag.gif[/img]
[u]Sorcery[/u]
Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield.
[i]Reverb[/i] — If you have successfully cast another spell this turn, put two 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens onto the battlefield instead.

AS for discussion into a battle mechanic, we could do frenzy? O:

Your wording is much nicer. Causes less confusion for new players. In fact, the card itself is pretty elegant and balanced design anyway. I really like it.

Frenzy is certainly a possibility. We'd need a flavour reason for it though (the main flavour reason for it would be barbarians, I guess, and I don't think highland barbarians are a good flavour fit for a Classical, misty plane). Exalted and Provoke were also options I considered. I may just try to come up with a new one, so we can get the set to play exactly as we want to. I'd read this article on combat mechanics first: http://mtgcolorpie.com/2011/08/12/design-class-combatting-into-the-future/

The one reason why combat mechanics really exist is because there is conflict within the plane. Is there conflict on Arkhos? If not, we could cope without a combat mechanic.

Now that you bring up flavor requirements, I guess you're right about frenzy - it works mechanically, though. I think the problem is right now that we don't have a strict physical conflict right now. The closest I can imagine with the current state of affairs are humans getting all xenophobic against the weirdies that are floating outside their windows. Otherwise, the plane is eerie but is very Lorwyn-esque. What could we do to introduce conflict that doesn't seem to tread on Zendikar's heels, though? Because right now, things seem to be heading in that direction flavor-wise.

[b]EDIT:[/b] [url="http://mtgcolorpie.com/2012/11/30/what-the-storm-scale-really-means/#more-5643"]Hot damn, I was looking for an article like this one.[/url]

Xenophobic humans and creepy monsters sounds too similar to Innistrad, of anything. Is there opportunity to introduce political conflict, perhaps? I like the idea that tribes start taking sides. Perhap one neutral tribe too. My problem there is that it treds on the heels of Alara too much. You could try natural disaster, I guess. Very deux ex machina though.

We could have an ideological split. Curation vs. gathering. That would place giants and merfolk against humans and fungus, with spirits just kinda hanging out in the center.

[b]EDIT:[/b] Land cycle idea.

[b]CARDNAME[/b]
[u]Land[/u] (Rare)
{T}, Put a storage counter on ~: Add {C1} to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if there are no storage counters on ~.
{T}, Remove a storage counter from ~: Add {C2} to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if there are storage counters on ~.

The idea is that there's no sacrifice in tempo, but the color you get will alternate, which can cause some odd planning. (Green, then blue, then back to green, and so on.) The only kink I can see mechanically is in conjunction with proliferate, but the only ways to get around that (flip and transform) seem needlessly involved.

I think the land cycle is potentially very unfun. Not being able to get the mana you want every turn could just annoy some players. I actually played around with the idea briefly for an old set I did (in all iterations of the land, it was essentially a worse shockland). For an abandoned set, I came up with three possible cycles:

[b]Untouched Meanders[/b]
[b]Land[/b] {R}
Untouched Clearing enters the battlefield tapped unless you control one or fewer creatures.
[img]http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manat.gif[/img]: Add [img]http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manag.gif[/img] or [img]http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manau.gif[/img] to your mana pool.

[b]Vital Lakefront[/b]
[b]Land[/b] {R}
Untouched Clearing enters the battlefield tapped unless you control two or more other lands.
[img]http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manat.gif[/img]: Add [img]http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manag.gif[/img] or [img]http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manau.gif[/img] to your mana pool.

[b]Forest Springs[/b]
[b]Land[/b] {R}
[img]http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/mana1.gif[/img], [img]http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manat.gif[/img]: Add [img]http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manag.gif[/img][img]http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manau.gif[/img] to your mana pool.

[b]Edit:[/b] If I post a skeleton, what are your thoughts on co-hosting it on Cardgame Coalition (during the design process, once we finish all of the plane background) for extra designers. The design process is usually that people submit a card to fill a space on the skeleton, people can compete for the same spot. You can have better choice and speed up the process if we let more people design.

I'm cool with opening it up to a contest. :3

The third one's [url="http://magiccards.info/query?q=%21Darkwater+Catacombs"]already been done[/url] in allied colors. I like the first one the most out of all the options, although it's pretty close to the second. How about something like this, though?

[b]River Meanders[/b]
[u]Land — Forest Island[/u]
[i]([img]http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manat.gif[/img]: Add [img]http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manag.gif[/img] or [img]http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manau.gif[/img] to your mana pool.)[/i]
As ~ enters the battlefield, you may return a land you control to its owner’s hand. If you don’t, ~ enters the battlefield tapped.

I'm really unsure. It seems perfectly fine, but its natural relatives are the Ravnica bouncelands. You have the benefit of having Turn 2 mana, but otherwise most other lands outclass them.

Obviously, this is without taking into account various rampers (but then they become almost strictly better by running green; making Green the immediately better colour is a little eeeehh).

Which other lands, though? I mean, this gets a boost from having the basic land types, which makes it more fetchable than the other dual lands save for the shocklands. The shocklands are always gonna be the best of their type behind the originals, anyways, as the life payment is usually so negligible that it wouldn't matter.

Revised idea. (Also, I'll get on typing up lore later today. Thankfully I don't have work.)

[b]River Meanders[/b]
[u]Land — Forest Island[/u]
[i]([img]http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manat.gif[/img]: Add [img]http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manag.gif[/img] or [img]http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manau.gif[/img] to your mana pool.)[/i]
~ enters the battlefield tapped unless you have cast a green spell and [color="red"](or?)[/color] a blue spell this turn.

Land cycles are difficult to balance. Not sure what the implications would be of switching it to an "or" instead of an "and" - obviously it'd be more powerful, but how much so?

[b]EDIT:[/b] Should we do political/social factions instead of tribal ones? If a political struggle is what's in order, doing it along tribal lines would be too neat and easy.

You know, I actually quite like those cards. The concept itself is awesome. I'll probably have to look it in further detail later to fully decide. I think that 'or' should be fine. Until further notice, this should be the rare land cycle. It's good. We just need names for the the other four. I'll nickname the castlands, for organization purposes.

[quote]7 other commons, 20 per colour
7 other uncommon, 12 per colour
5 Multicolour rares, 5 rare dual land cycle, 9 other rares, 8 rares per colour
15 mythics
15 basic lands[/quote]

The standard set size by the way. What do you want to fill for the other commons, uncommons and rares? I was thinking, for the rares, 5 utility lands and 4 rare artifacts.

Let's first get a skeleton out of the way. Your layout doesn't take into account hybrid or multicolor, though - considering the potential factions (you never did answer either political or tribal) lie on color boundaries, should we have a few slots in each to gently push players towards using both?

Also, can I just get your Skype? It may make things easier to hash out. xD

[spoiler="Herp de derp, design skeleton for commons. Code name: Banana. (As in Banana Cream Pie.)"]CW01 –
CW02 –
CW03 –
CW04 –
CW05 –
CW06 –
CW07 –
CW08 –
CW09 –
CW10 –
CW11 –
CW12 –
CW13 –
CW14 –
CW15 –
CW16 –
CW17 –
CW18 –
CW19 –
CW20 –
CU01 –
CU02 –
CU03 –
CU04 –
CU05 –
CU06 –
CU07 –
CU08 –
CU09 –
CU10 –
CU11 –
CU12 –
CU13 –
CU14 –
CU15 –
CU16 –
CU17 –
CU18 –
CU19 –
CU20 –
CB01 –
CB02 –
CB03 –
CB04 –
CB05 –
CB06 –
CB07 –
CB08 –
CB09 –
CB10 –
CB11 –
CB12 –
CB13 –
CB14 –
CB15 –
CB16 –
CB17 –
CB18 –
CB19 –
CB20 –
CR01 –
CR02 –
CR03 –
CR04 –
CR05 –
CR06 –
CR07 –
CR08 –
CR09 –
CR10 –
CR11 –
CR12 –
CR13 –
CR14 –
CR15 –
CR16 –
CR17 –
CR18 –
CR19 –
CR20 –
CG01 –
CG02 –
CG03 –
CG04 –
CG05 –
CG06 –
CG07 –
CG08 –
CG09 –
CG10 –
CG11 –
CG12 –
CG13 –
CG14 –
CG15 –
CG16 –
CG17 –
CG18 –
CG19 –
CG20 –
CA01 –
CA02 –
CA03 –
CA04 –
CA05 –
CL01 –
CL02 –[/spoiler]

[b]EDIT:[/b] Should we try to aim just for a small set instead of a big one? This is a standalone project, after all, and I think it'd be easier on us in the long run |D

They are tribal factions, but with, as you said, the ideological split. Although Giants + Merfolk vs Humans + Fungus work, you could possibly reverse it. Fungus + Merfolk vs Humans + Giants still makes sense, flavour-wise, and you end up with a common colour between both of them. I assume that the general alliance is still fragile. They are all working towards their own ends, but are willing to collaborate with another tribe with a common end goal.

I do have Skype, but I hardly use it :P I'll put it up on my profile. Just realised I have no clue what my old Skype was, so I just set up a random new one for YCM.

[b]Edit:[/b] I'm quite determined to fill it out as a big set. It's definitely achievable, because once the process starts, it rolls along quite quickly. It also gives us a more natural starting point if we ever return for a second set.

Also, I think hybrid crowds the set. We can fit in multicolour cards though at uncommon and rare. If we want to encourage cross-colour drafting, we should just add off-colour ability activations.

Yeah, on retrospect, hybrid is trickier to design for. If this ever gets into a second set hybrid could be integrated in, but I think you're right.

Now, we just need an ignition event for whatever conflict we want to have. That, and a more solid reason for why the races have aligned like they have besides "ideology ftw!"

We can always introduce external forces in the form of planeswalkers. A planeswalker creating a conflict sounds fairly plausible. One of the themes I briefly considered was that each tribe has apparent hubs or legendary places that they basically worship (we can include a mythology of the plane, I guess). All four sparring tribes probably had quite a peaceful relationship with the others, but related more with their ideologically more similar tribe. But what happens if each tribe's place of worship gets essentially ransacked? The easiest thing to do is to blame those who are the most different to yourself (which is where ideology comes into play). The coincidental proximity to each other with their ideological 'twin' (giants live in the mountains while the humans live in the nearby bastioned cities; fungal tribes live in the forests, with rivers and seas nearby where the merfolk live) just provides a way for those nearer to each other to temporarily ally in order to essentially declare war. They would still be suspicious and don't interact too much with their partner, so you still have four different tribes rather than two distinct sides.

If we wanted to go down the political route (which I think it's also a good idea which I'd rather explore - it makes the set less artificial), we can definitely down the tribal interaction a little. An external force would most certainly have to be involved here for it to make any sense.

On the other hand, we can just introduce a plane in this set. The need for conflict isn't that essential. You can prepare the plane for conflict by adding all of the things that could cause it. Simply establishing fungus + merfolk and giants + humans as having friction between them because of they want to do for the plane is viable. I still say that the trigger event should either be a machination of the plane itself (I played around with mysterious mana-rifts in a set I did earlier this year, and it seems vaguely similar is being pursued in the RP you hosted), or a planeswalker. Now I think about it, how crowded will a first set be if we're trying to establish a very mysterious plane too? It feels overcrowded and unnatural to have a political or tribal conflict in there. None of the races seem intelligent enough to do so either. I could understand it in a city plane like Ravnica where you have actual political groups, but Arkhos seems like a very natural plane: politics doesn't seem to have a hold on it, especially if we don't want to completely abandon the 'eternal twilight and mysterious creatures' concept.

I'm really stuck for choice here.

[b]Edit:[/b] Full design skeleton, with alpha versions of creature ratios.

[spoiler=Arkhos Design Skeleton]
CW01 creature, small, 1 drop, can attack for 2 or more
CW02 creature, small
CW03 creature
CW04 creature
CW05 creature
CW06 creature
CW07 creature
CW08 creature
CW09 creature
CW10 creature
CW11 creature
CW12 creature
CW13 instant/sorcery - token making
CW14
CW15
CW16
CW17
CW18
CW19
CW20
CU01 creature
CU02 creature
CU03 creature
CU04 creature
CU05 creature
CU06 creature
CU07 creature
CU08 creature
CU09 creature
CU10
CU11
CU12
CU13
CU14
CU15
CU16
CU17
CU18
CU19
CU20
CB01 creature
CB02 creature
CB03 creature
CB04 creature
CB05 creature
CB06 creature
CB07 creature
CB08 creature
CB09 creature
CB10 creature
CB11
CB12
CB13
CB14
CB15
CB16
CB17
CB18
CB19
CB20
CR01 creature
CR02 creature
CR03 creature
CR04 creature
CR05 creature
CR06 creature
CR07 creature
CR08 creature
CR09 creature
CR10
CR11
CR12
CR13
CR14
CR15
CR16
CR17
CR18
CR19
CR20
CG01 creature
CG02 creature
CG03 creature
CG04 creature
CG05 creature
CG06 creature
CG07 creature
CG08 creature
CG09 creature
CG10 creature
CG11 creature
CG12
CG13
CG14
CG15
CG16
CG17
CG18
CG19
CG20
CA01 artifact creature
CA02 artifact
CA03 artifact
CA04 artifact
CA05 artifact
CL01
CL02
UW01
UW02
UW03
UW04
UW05
UW06
UW07
UW08
UW09
UW10
UW11
UW12
UU01
UU02
UU03
UU04
UU05
UU06
UU07
UU08
UU09
UU10
UU11
UU12
UB01
UB02
UB03
UB04
UB05
UB06
UB07
UB08
UB09
UB10
UB11
UB12
UR01
UR02
UR03
UR04
UR05
UR06
UR07
UR08
UR09
UR10
UR11
UR12
UG01
UG02
UG03
UG04
UG05
UG06
UG07
UG08
UG09
UG10
UG11
UG12
UA01
UA02
UA03
UA04
UA05
UA06
UL01
RW01
RW02
RW03
RW04
RW05
RW06
RW07
RW08
RU01
RU02
RU03
RU04
RU05
RU06
RU07
RU08
RB01
RB02
RB03
RB04
RB05
RB06
RB07
RB08
RR01
RR02
RR03
RR04
RR05
RR06
RR07
RR08
RG01
RG02
RG03
RG04
RG05
RG06
RG07
RG08
RZ01
RZ02
RZ03
RZ04
RZ05
RA01
RA02
RA03
RA04
RL01 Castland
RL02 Castland
RL03 Castland
RL04 Castland
RL05 Castland
RL06 Utility land
RL07 Utility land
RL08 Utility land
RL09 Utility land
RL10 Utility land
MW01
MW02
MW03
MU01
MU02
MU03
MB01
MB02
MB03
MR01
MR02
MR03
MG01
MG02
MG03
LW01
LW02
LW03
LU01
LU02
LU03
LB01
LB02
LB03
LR01
LR02
LR03[/spoiler]

If you're happy, I'd like to finalize a mechanic for Arkhos:

Safeguard [i](Whenever this creature attacks, each other attacking creature gets +0/+1 until end of turn.)[/i]

I figured that if Battle cry comes at 3 on the Storm Scale, the reverse should score pretty closely too. In the same vein, Flashback is preferred over Buyback. MaRo said that Buyback creates unfun game states. So, essentially the mechanics for Arkhos are:

- Flashback [i](You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)[/i]
- Safeguard [i](Whenever this creature attacks, each other attacking creature gets +0/+1 until end of turn.)[/i]
- [i]Reverb -[/i] If you have successfully cast another spell this turn,

I'm going to start opening up design slots for other people to design. Mostly generic commons and uncommons.

This seems interesting and I would love to join.

I'm not sure if you've decided on a story theme yet, but what about bringing the titans into it? There could be small tribal conflicts between the races, and then some titans are unleashed in the second part of the block and then finally the "gods" arrive to make everything right in the final block?

As for the mechanics discussion; I've always found Storm to be an interesting mechanic and it would fit to some degree with the greek theme. It might go a little crazy, though.

As for my splash card:

[color=#5A5A5A][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][b]Philosopher on the White Beach[/b] - {1}{U}{U}[/size][/font][/color]
[u]Creature — Human[/u]
[size=3]{t}{U}{U}{X} - Reveal the top X cards of your library and select a blue card with converted mana cost X or less and cast it without paying its mana cost.[/size]
[color=#5A5A5A][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]0/1[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#5A5A5A][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]My MtG grammar is probably very off.[/size][/font][/color]

Aesirson, accepted. Grammar needs some polishing but that's not a problem. Storm has already been agreed upon to not include, because it's inherently very broken.

.Rai, I'm fine with safeguard. It's not something I'm terribly crazy about but since I can't think of any other alternatives I'll trust your judgment. We may fiddle with it in the future a bit, but for now it works.

Mmm, yeah. I've gotten a few ideas so far, primarily for humans and giants. Also, in terms of a planeswalker being an external catalyst, how about Tibalt or Kiora? Kiora's affinity to big and weird monsters could tie into the mythical creatures that are such a big part of Arkhos, while Tibalt's characteristic want to inflict pain could stir some shit up.

[b]Humans:[/b] Due to their insular nature, the strongholds across Arkhos hold the majority of human (aka, red/white) civilization. The largest and most centralized of these strongholds, [u]Dagorran[/u], is considered the center of Arkhos' compass by all races as a point of convenience. It is a destination for not only standard citizens, but also traders from all races. Dagorran's marketplaces and libraries alike are sources of information about anything and everything on the plane. It is considered the repository of Arkhos' lore and history, and if the world ever ends up overrun by an external force, Dagorran would be the failsafe of culture.

[b]Giants:[/b] For the most part nomadic, giants are very family-oriented. Both highly intelligent and casually vicious, they are driven by a genetic impluse to codify. Unlike humans, who just want to collect hap-hazardously, giants tend to want to figure out the inherent madness of Arkhos' dreamy environs.

(work in progress blah)

The planeswalker list was essentially my shortlist too (I also included Nissa and Chandra there, because frankly they should be doing something; they're very vacant in the multiverse). Kiora accidentally awakening some horrendous sea monster excites me, and Tibalt's most simple way of being added to the block is just causing conflict within the human race. Merfolk, I assume, are semi-aquatic and are capable of living on land (but much prefer aquatic life). The general theme of the block has settled quite nicely into the everyday conflicts of tribes in a horrendously more enigmatic plane. Also, Arkhos set logo:

[center][IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/15qvguo.jpg[/IMG][/center]

First of all, lovely logo. Splatted it into the main post.

Secondly, I did have a few ideas for both Kiora and Tibalt. (Nissa's a possibility, as she only has one planeswalker card so far, but Chandra has three or four already if I remember correctly.) I think the precedence is for two of the mythic slots in each large block to be planeswalker slots, so we could do GU Kiora with a focus on islandwalk (to reflect her ties to leviathans) and BR Tibalt with a bit more randomized chaos and "pain is pleasure" involved. I did make a Kiora card a while ago whose design I lost, but it went something like this:

{+N}: Target land becomes an Island in addition to its other types. [i](This effect lasts indefinitely.)[/i]
{-N}: (Something to do with giving X of your creatures islandwalk for a turn.)
{-NNN}: (Either creating UG leviathan tokens with islandwalk and maybe something extra, or cheating fatties into play.)

Kiora makes complete sense to make 6/6 blue Leviathan tokens with islandwalk as an ultimate for the sake of it. It's awesome. But, yes, BR Tibalt and GU Kiora, it is.

I figure that there should be some 'monster dwellings' on the plane. In the same way that the Minotaur had a labyrinth, the Garden of Hesperides has a mythical dragon guarding it, Cerberus guards the gates of Hades etc.

Since we're trying to keep a greek theme to the set, wouldn't Vraska be a possibility too? (although she just came out in the RtR set, so it might be too soon)

I like the idea of Kiora and Tibalt as this set's Planeswalkers. We could also make new ones, but since both Kiora and Tibalt are such interesting characters I don't think we need to.

[b]EDIT:[/b] Something like this, .Rai?

[color=#000000][b]The Minotaur's Labyrinth[/b]
[u]Legendary Land[/u]
When The Minotaur's Labyrinth comes into play, put a 1/1 red Minotaur creature token with trample onto the battlefield.
{t}, add {R}{R} to your mana pool.
{t}, a Minotaur creature you control gain +3/+3 until the end of your turn.
[i]Unfortunately, besides the giant bullman, the labyrinth is inhabited by rope-eating rats.[/i][/color]

[quote name='Aesirson' timestamp='1356312905' post='6100509']
Since we're trying to keep a greek theme to the set, wouldn't Vraska be a possibility too? (although she just came out in the RtR set, so it might be too soon)
I like the idea of Kiora and Tibalt as this set's Planeswalkers. We could also make new ones, but since both Kiora and Tibalt are such interesting characters I don't think we need to.
[/quote]

Vraska, although cool flavour-wise, has no need to be on Arkhos. We assume that Vraska is probably still doing something on Ravnica. Also, flavour fit with planeswalkers doesn't matter as much because they are generally foreign to the plane. As long as they have a reason for being on the plane.

I think sticking with Kiora and Tibalt is a really solid move. Very flavourful planeswalkers to use.

[quote name='Aesirson' timestamp='1356312905' post='6100509']
[b]EDIT:[/b] Something like this, .Rai?
[color=#000000][b]The Minotaur's Labyrinth[/b]
[u]Legendary Land[/u]
When The Minotaur's Labyrinth comes into play, put a 1/1 red Minotaur creature token with trample onto the battlefield.
{t}, add {R}{R} to your mana pool.
{t}, a Minotaur creature you control gain +3/+3 until the end of your turn.
[i]Unfortunately, besides the giant bullman, the labyrinth is inhabited by rope-eating rats.[/i][/color]
[/quote]

Well, in a similar vein, but that's obviously broken :P

I was thinking a few flavourful legendary lands, and mostly big rare legendary creatures.

Archived