[LEADERBOARD] Ambrosia vs Soulfire

Northern Sage

-All YCM and Leaderboard rules apply.

First to 3 votes or most by the end date wins.

All voters must give a reasoning as to why they vote for a card.

-Winner gets a rep from the loser and a point in the leaderboard.

-End Date is June 23rd.

-All voters get a rep for a succesful vote.

-The condition is to make a monster that places cards on the field, like The First Sarcophagus and Destiny Board.

My Card:

241221.jpg

If this face-up card is destroyed: You can draw 1 card and reveal it; If it is a monster, you can place it in face-up defense position on the field. Its effects are negated. You can only activate the effect of "Homebound Hippo" once per turn.

Opponent's Card:

WitchofDestiny.jpg

When this monster is Normal Summoned, shuffle all "Spirit Message" cards from your Graveyard to your Deck and you can place 1 "Destiny Board" card from your Graveyard face-up on the field. Once per turn, you can destroy 1 "Spirit Message" card you control; Banish 1 face-up monster your opponent controls.

Given that both cards are very situational, with the former relying entirely on luck to be successful, it's a fairly tough choice. I suppose I have to with Witch of Destiny, simply because it could work very well within a deck. Hippo is just too situational and relies a great deal on luck. Why not just use a more accurate tutor?

Card A:

A Dekoichi/Skelengel draw card (in BP, otherwise face-up bait taunting your opponent to use Torrential/Dark Hole, but honestly, it won't do much even if they do. Better off with Card Trooper.) that has the chance to SS the drawn card, be it a monster, as a Normal Monster probably in the position that it doesn't like (unless your Deck revolves around high DEF monsters, which is laughable in the first place). It could be a "Summon, chain Torrential." But, really, that is still a horrible play, and none the less more conditional then this card is as a whole.

Card B:

Adds an interesting aggressive push and a much needed "Get back into the game after MST" to the Deck, which I like. The banish effect is also rather deadly, but sadly is put on a weak body. However, this card is much more effective at what it intends to do, and will actually find a home in Destiny Board decks as a banishing Fire Fist - Bearlike creature that helps recover.

My Vote has to be for Card B. Card A is too underwhelming, and I doubt would find a home.

Card A supports decks that are either monster heavy or just gives you a free draw, like Card Trooper etc. does when it's destroyed. It doesn't even rely on this "luck" that the two people were talking about, as it doesn't have any negative effects that happen if you draw anything other than monsters. The only thing that could be different is that if its effect could trigger when it's destroyed while face-down. Other than that, it's a good card and not underwhelming. 

Card B supports Destiny Board, sure, but that's all there's do it. All it does is support an alt-win condition and nothing else. It would be better if it actually protected the "Destiny Board" or the other "Spirit Message" cards, but it doesn't. It also relies on you already having at least 1 "Spirit Message" in the Graveyard, which you do not want in the Graveyard at any cost whatsoever. That brings me to the last effect, which is decent, but backfires on you as soon as you use it, given how all "Spirit Message" cards self-destruct if any of those cards are removed from the field.

So yeah, Card A gets my vote.

Ok, well I'm not a massive advocate of either card, but my thoughts:

A: I'm more inclined to see Zanda's way of thinking. It isn't great, but at worst its a jar of greed, at best, it buys you an SS. However, the fact that it has to be face-up for its effect to activate is hardly endearing, since you'd probably only get reliable use out of it if you put it in Attack Position, which could be very painful for your life points. Still though, if your opponent doesn't deal with it, you can just tribute it and get an extra draw/possible SS in the process. 

B: It makes the Spirit Message style of play more endearing, but I think this card tries to do too much. It basically recovers your whole strategy from the Graveyard, and lets you use it to banish your opponent's field if you should so wish. Ofc it is easy to kill without support, which balances it. I appreciate that this card could see some use, but Card A could probably help out xyz decks in its own way, so they both have their uses (even if they are very limited). 

So, I'll balance it out and go 4 dat fat Hippo (card A). 

Archived