Blackship of Corn - YCM's Cooking Club

image.jpg

Welcome to YCM's kitchen, where people meet up with an interest into cooking, baking and anything food-related. This is a club for people with any interest or skill level  - whether you’re a star cook, kitchen burner, new flavours tester, here to talk about places to eat or just running out of ideas about what to cook everyday. I’m NOT a good cook by any means myself, but I thought it would be nice to come together and share our experiences.

Post your daily meals here, suggestions for places to go to, any tips to handle something better. We want to improve together after all.

One of the main activities here will be putting up a large book with all the recipes people submit.

Depending on the people who join, I might put members into rank-like groups based on experience and skill level (like groups for advanced members and people who need more help). Just let me know if you think this would benefit you.=o

Interested? Just fill out the application form to join and welcome aboard, I guess.

Rules

There aren’t any besides the general forum rules.

Please try to respect other people’s preferences and refrain from throwing knives at someone for eating/not eating meat, choosing or not choosing organic food and the likes. These are neverending debates that usually come down to personal ethics.

Application form

What is your favourite food?

What do you want fo focus on? [What is your specialized area? If you’re completely new, don’t worry. Just tell us what you would be interested into.]

How would you describe your skills?

Other information: [This can include food allergies, diets, etc. Anything else you want to tell us.]

Members + their titles (optional)

Sumire - Cinnamon CEO

Neph - Hibashi Herald

Real American Machismo!!!!

J̵̨͟e͏̧ff̵̶

Stone Cold Loki - Cookie Crasher

PayDae

iHop

Kazooie

Christian Exodia - Prince of the Smoker

Ambrosia

Desu Desu Tentacruel Desu

Applications

[spoiler=Sumire]

Favourite food: Can’t decide yet

Focus: Baking, Mediterranean food, vegetarian (I mostly cook veggie meals, though I'm not one), some vegan recipes, fast food that is still somewhat healthy, everyday stuff. I usually don’t have the time or money to create any 5-parts-menus, so I like coming up with (tasty) things that don’t take up too many ressources. I like going big on special occasions though.

How would you describe your skills? Between average and enough-to-get-by, lol

Other information:

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Neph]
What is your favourite food? Bacon Can't really decide as of yet.
What do you want fo focus on? I don't have any specialties. I only cook occasionally. IDK. Um. Western-style stuff is so unhealthy, but delicious. S:
How would you describe your skills? What skills?
Other information: I am a pro at making cup ramen... alright, I'm not.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Real American Machismo!!!!]

No exact favorite, but in no certain order

Tilapia

Salad

Croutons

Pizza

Sweet potatoes

Oats and stuff

What do you want to focus on?

Making sandwiches.

Laughable compared to people who actually cook.

Other information:

Trying to watch the fatty stuff (disregarding the pizza listed above)

Meat-wise, I mainly eat (boneless) chicken, (boneless) turkey, and fish, though I eat meat rarely. I don't eat red meat and most pork products

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=J̵̨͟e͏̧ff̵̶]

What is your favourite food? Scrambled eggs on toast.
What do you want to focus on? Learning how to cook basic things. Also, I'm a master a pouring milk into a bowl with cereal.

How would you describe your skills? Implying I have any.
Other information: I get sick when I eat too many peanuts.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Stone Cold Loki]What is your favorite food? A very broad question considering there are few things that I DON'T like. But as far as things that I'm usually excited to eat, I'd say sushi.

What do you want to focus on? Baking and grilling.

How would you describe your skills? The potential's there, but the motivation refuses to present itself. In other words, I am fully capable of doing a good job, but if I'm not prompted to do so, then I slack off.

Other information: I will non-hesitantly eat anything with bacon, peaches, avocado, wasabi, and corn. I can also indulge myself in anything fruity, be it actual fruit or fruit-flavored stuff like yogurt or juice. I am very adventurous when it comes to trying new things, and unlike most people I know, I am not shy when trying obscure foreign stuff like frog legs, fried tarantula, or even yak penis.

I also want to learn how to be a sushi chef, that way I can experiment with certain types of fish and how well they go with certain ingredients.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=PayDae]

[What is your favourite food? Pasta, lasagna, penne, etc.
What do you want fo focus on? Italian-based seasoning on the delicate display of assorted cheeses with long-stripped pasta, usually my better pieces when I cook.
How would you describe your skills? Moderate. More a fan of display and style into the taste. People deserve to eat what is delicious through looks and taste.
Other information: Vegetarian, by appetite not choice.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=iHop]

Doner Kebabs

What do you want fo focus on?

Cooking meat and generally things more complicated than pasta

I can cook pasta...

Other information: [This can include food allergies, diets, etc. Anything else you want to tell us.]

I hate non-melted cheese and Egg Yolks make me vomit[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Kazooie]

What is your favourite food?: Oh this is such an unfair question. xD

I guess although it's fast food, Long John Silver's has some really good chicken, and I love a good steak. xD

What do you want to focus on?: I would love to open a restaurant one day, and even though it will never happen, if I did, I would probably open a steakhouse or something similar. 

How would you describe your skills?: What skills? :'o

Other information: Um... Gordan Ramsay is, like, my idol? :'D[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Christian Exodia]

What is your favourite food?: Either BBQ ribs or smoked chicken

What do you want fo focus on?: Smoked and Grilled foods

How would you describe your skills?: They aren't that good, but I do watch my father and pick up some good things.

Other information:

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Ambrosia]

What is your favourite food? I enjoy a lot of pasta dishes generally.

What do you want fo focus on? Cooking for general eating, I guess. Lunch and dinner and things.

How would you describe your skills? Basic, can follow recipes decently.  Pretty slow and impatient at times. Bad around eggs.

Other information: Nothing that comes to mind.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Desu Desu Tentacruel Desu]

What is your favorite food? Shrimp Parmigiana, even though I can no longer eat it due to allergy. 

What do you want to focus on? Grilling, salad, beverages.  Things that aren't baking.  Fish. 

How would you describe your skills? Complete Noob.  

Other information: Allergic to shellfish to the point of partially going into shock after eating a crumb-sized bite of lobster.

[/spoiler]

Cookbook

This is our large recipe book with dishes in alphabetical order. Whenever you need ideas or want to learn something, this might be your ressource!

Please feel free to submit something anytime (source, category and difficulty level would be ideal :)).

[spoiler=Entries and Appetizers]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Main Dishes]

[spoiler=Pasta with eggplants and mozzarella - easy]

Ingredients (4 people):

500g penne, rigatoni or other pasta
150g mozzarella (bufala or regular one)
1kg eggplants
800g cherry tomatoes
basil (fresh leaves work best, but if you don't have those, the ground version is alright)
extra virgin olive oil
sunflower oil

garlic

salt

Preparation:

1. Rinse the eggplants and cut them into about 2-cm-long pieces. Put them into a bowl, add a few pinches of salt and let rest for about 2 hours. (I found that about one hour works as well if you're short on time, but the salting part is important!) Some recipes suggest covering them with a plate and something weighty.

2. After this step, rinse them well and let them dry a bit on a towel. Heat a bit of sunflower oil in a pan and cook the eggplants until they become softer and with a more golden hue. Once this is done, drain and let them dry. Set aside. This procedure is relevant because you don't want the eggplants to become mushy.

3. Heat olive oil in a larger pan and add the garlic until it looks golden, then add the tomatoes. Let them cook on low heat (recipe suggest about 30 minutes, but it's better to taste from time to time and see for yourself).

4. Salt a bit and add basil leaves. Then add the eggplants and cook on low heat for about 5 minutes.

5. If you haven't started it already, cook the pasta in boiling water. Also cut the mozzarella into small pieces resp. set them aside if you managed to get those small ones.

6. Finally add the drained pasta into the sauce pan along with the mozzarella, mix (you want the cheese to become slightly melty) and serve with basil leaves.

Source with pictures: http://www.fragolaelettrica.com/2013/03/pasta-melanzane-e-mozzarella-foto.html

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Side Dishes]

[spoiler=Hummus - easy, but you need a kitchen aid or blender]

Ingredients:

400g chickpeas (canned or in a package)

3 garlic pieces, cut

2 tablespoons tahini paste

juice from 2 lemons

half a teaspoon cumin

3 tablespoons olive oil

salt

black pepper

1 teaspoon ground paprika

1 tablespoon olive oil

1. Put the chickpeas into the kitchen machine, add garlic, tahini paste, lemon juice, cumin and olive oil. Blend until you get a smooth texture. If it's too firm, add a little bit of water. Salt and season with black ground pepper.

2. Sprinkle a bit of olive oil and paprika unto the mass.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Salads]

[spoiler=Couscous Salad with Feta - easy]

Ingredients:

200g couscous

1 cucumber, pealed and cut into small pieces

8 tomatoes, seeds removed and cut into small pieces

2 persil branches, hacked

2 mint branches

75ml olive oil

juice from 1 lemon

200g feta cheese, cut into messy pieces

salt and pepper

1. First put the couscous into a measuring cup and then into a large bowl. Add the same amount of boiled water that the measuring cup gave you, mix well and set aside for about 15 minutes.

2. Add the cucumber, salad, persil and mint. Then add the olive oil and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Set aside for another 15 minutes.

3. Add the feta cheese, mix well and serve.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Sandwiches]

[spoiler=Machismo]

Whole wheat bread

Mozzarella

Tomato

Spinach

Tilapia

Sweet n' spicy mustard

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Fast Food and Snacks]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Desserts]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Baking Goods]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Breakfast]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Drinks (smoothies, shakes, cocktails)]

[spoiler=Berry Breakfast Smoothie - easy]

I love this. It's so fresh and great to start the day! Also those leftover bananas get some use.

Ingredients:

150ml natural yoghurt

2 very ripe bananas

300g strawberries and raspberries

300ml milk

Put everything into a blender and mix until you get a smooth texture. Serve immediately.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

image.jpg

Welcome to YCM's kitchen, where people meet up and focus on cooking, baking and anything food-related. This is a club for people with any interest or skill level  - whether you’re a star cook, bistro butcher, new flavours tester, here to talk about places to eat or just running out of ideas on what to cook everyday. I’m NOT a good cook by any means myself, but I thought it would be nice to come together and share our experiences.

Share your daily meals here, suggestions for places to go to, any tips to handle something better.

I will also put up a recipe book with all the recipes people submit. There will also be club activities and contests.

Depending on the people who join, I might put members into rank-like groups based on experience and skill level (like groups for advanced members and people who need more help). Just let me know if you think this would benefit you.=o

Interested? Just fill out the application form to join and welcome aboard, I guess.

Rules
Please try to respect other people’s preferences and refrain from throwing knives at someone for eating/not eating meat, choosing or not choosing organic food and the likes. These are neverending debates that usually come down to personal ethics.

Application form
What do you want fo focus on? [What is your specialized area? If you’re completely new, don’t worry. Just tell us what you would be interested into.]
Other information: [This can include food allergies, diets, preferences, etc. Anything else you want to tell us.]

Members
no one so far :(

Applications
[spoiler=Sumire][/spoiler]
Favourite food: Can’t decide yet
Focus: Baking, Mediterranean food, vegetarian (I mostly cook veggie meals, though I'm not one), some vegan recipes, fast food that is still somewhat healthy, everyday stuff. I usually don’t have the time or money to create any 5-parts-menus, so I like coming up with (tasty) things that don’t take up too many ressources. I like going big on special occasions though.
How would you describe your skills (the moment you joined)? Between average and just-to-get-by, lol
Other information:

Rules

and refrain from throwing knives at someone for eating/not eating meat

bacon.png

tumblr_inline_mfr7lj8rpF1r1l2gz.gif

[spoiler="Crap that's not important"]Application Form
What is your favourite food? Bacon Can't really decide as of yet.
What do you want fo focus on? [What is your specialized area? If you’re completely new, don’t worry. Just tell us what you would be interested into.] I don't have any specialties. I only cook occasionally. IDK. Um. Western-style stuff is so unhealthy, but delicious. S:
How would you describe your skills? What skills?
Other information: I am a pro at making cup ramen... alright, I'm not.[/spoiler]

No exact favorite, but in no certain order

Tilapia

Salad

Croutons

Pizza

Sweet potatoes

Oats and stuff

What do you want to focus on? [What is your specialized area? If you’re completely new, don’t worry. Just tell us what you would be interested into.]

Making sandwiches.

Laughable compared to people who actually cook.

Trying to watch the fatty stuff (disregarding the pizza listed above)

Meat-wise, I mainly eat (boneless) chicken, (boneless) turkey, and fish, though I eat meat rarely. I don't eat red meat and most pork products

Application Form
What is your favourite food? Scrambled eggs on toast.
What do you want to focus on? [What is your specialized area? If you’re completely new, don’t worry. Just tell us what you would be interested into.] : Learning how to cook basic things. Also, I'm a master a pouring milk into a bowl with cereal. Also, learning how to cook basic things.
How would you describe your skills? Implying I have any.
Other information: I get sick when I eat too many peanuts.

Right. I'm actually pretty bad myself so I guess that solves the groups thing for now.

Welcome to the journey of beating eggs, pouring milk into cups and getting the basics down, I guess?xD

Also, we should nominate a club mascot or something, preferably a Yugioh card related to food (unless Blackship of Corn is already the one).

Well I will put up a poll so keep suggestions coming (hoping that this catches more interest in the meantime).

I am nominating Jerry Bean Man myself, but we can vote afterwards.

EDIT: Well, 'preferably'. I guess this is edible since he's holding a large-as-hell pan and spatula.=o

Bah, why the hell not?

What is your favorite food? A very broad question considering there are few things that I DON'T like. But as far as things that I'm usually excited to eat, I'd say sushi.

How would you describe your skills? The potential's there, but the motivation refuses to present itself. In other words, I am fully capable of doing a good job, but if I'm not prompted to do so, then I slack off.

Other information: I will non-hesitantly eat anything with bacon, peaches, avocado, wasabi, and corn. I can also indulge myself in anything fruity, be it actual fruit or fruit-flavored stuff like yogurt or juice. I am very adventurous when it comes to trying new things, and unlike most people I know, I am not shy when trying obscure foreign stuff like frog legs, fried tarantula, or even yak penis.

I also want to learn how to be a sushi chef, that way I can experiment with certain types of fish and how well they go with certain ingredients.

EDIT: Oh yeah, mascot...

Everyone_loves_to_cook.png

Application form
What is your favourite food? Pasta, lasagna, penne, etc.
What do you want fo focus on? Italian-based seasoning on the delicate display of assorted cheeses with long-stripped pasta, usually my better pieces when I cook.
How would you describe your skills? Moderate. More a fan of display and style into the taste. People deserve to eat what is delicious through looks and taste.
Other information: Vegetarian, by appetite not choice.

Doner Kebabs

I can cook pasta...

I hate non-melted cheese and Egg Yolks make me vomit

More people!=D

Welcome to the ship.

Bah, why the hell not?

What is your favorite food? A very broad question considering there are few things that I DON'T like. But as far as things that I'm usually excited to eat, I'd say sushi.

I also want to learn how to be a sushi chef, that way I can experiment with certain types of fish and how well they go with certain ingredients.

EDIT: Oh yeah, mascot...

Everyone_loves_to_cook.png

Sushi is love.<3

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures, it's nice to know people who want to try new things that are considered disgusting here, but a delicatesse elsewhere!

Application form
What is your favourite food? Pasta, lasagna, penne, etc.
Other information: Vegetarian, by appetite not choice.

I think pasta is a staple for vegetarians and there are really a lot of options out there. I also like how you can play around with different colours, flavours and arrangements even if it's just...well, pasta in the end.

Doner Kebabs

I can cook pasta...

I hate non-melted cheese and Egg Yolks make me vomit

What kinds of things do you eat during week days? Have you tried different meat recipes?

Yeah, egg yolks have a weird smell too, but I don't mind them in some dishes.

Also update: You can give yourselves wanky/cool/whatever titles if you want. Here's a game site with some ideas: http://cafeworld.wikia.com/wiki/Level

I'm also considering adding ranks.

I think pasta is a staple for vegetarians and there are really a lot of options out there. I also like how you can play around with different colours, flavours and arrangements even if it's just...well, pasta in the end.

You can say the same about most things, but it is how is cooked, roasted, etc and what is used in the dish itself that makes the dish.

Cafe Points (CP)? Not a good look.

Scroll down and see under "title". Thee are examples there, but you can pick something else (or nothing).

You can say the same about most things, but it is how is cooked, roasted, etc and what is used in the dish itself that makes the dish.

Yeah, that's true.

"Sushi Samurai".

That shall be my title.

Sushi is love.<3

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures, it's nice to know people who want to try new things that are considered disgusting here, but a delicatesse elsewhere!

Indeed, sushi is the best thing ever despite what people think that are paranoid of raw fish.

And yeah, I'm a sucker for trying new things. For example, has anyone tried Wolfberry Soup? It's probably the most unique thing I've tried in a long time as far as flavor.

I've eaten a raw egg yolk once. I was at a retreat with youth group for church, and our team was cooking breakfast. Our minister then pulled out $5 and said "okay, whoever can eat a raw egg gets this." Me and another person stepped up, and in the end I was $5 richer only because I didn't vomit all over the place.

Though my victory came back to bite me when I accidentally wiped my eyes while chopping onions.

"Sushi Samurai".

That shall be my title.

Indeed, sushi is the best thing ever despite what people think that are paranoid of raw fish.

And yeah, I'm a sucker for trying new things. For example, has anyone tried Wolfberry Soup? It's probably the most unique thing I've tried in a long time as far as flavor.

I've eaten a raw egg yolk once. I was at a retreat with youth group for church, and our team was cooking breakfast. Our minister then pulled out $5 and said "okay, whoever can eat a raw egg gets this." Me and another person stepped up, and in the end I was $5 richer only because I didn't vomit all over the place.

Though my victory came back to bite me when I accidentally wiped my eyes while chopping onions.

Wolfberry soup? Nope. But I can imagine that it's good stuff.=o I heard the goji berries are quite healthy too?

omg raw egg yolk @.@

I don't have a problem with hardboiled ones or cooked somewhere.xD

So what did people cook up today? I don't have much to report because I'm spending most lunchtimes at the college cantine these days.

(Also titles are optional but I put myself up as Cinnamon CEO to look fly, haha.xD)

What kinds of things do you eat during week days? Have you tried different meat recipes?

I live with my parents so I don't really cook loads but when I do it's normally mincemeat and peas (which is really nice and very easy to cook) or plain pasta/pasta with ketchup. Other than that I eat various pasta dishes, lasagne, goulash and stuff like that.

Credit to you, I think I'd be sick even watching someone do it.

Not as bad as going to the toilet at Nando's after trying the extra-hot sauce.

I want to be Hibachi Herald. xD

Um... I cooked a bowl of cup ramen?

lol ilu Neph <3

Btw if we're going to talk about cup ramen, I can recommend Shin Ramyun. The brand isn't that bad compared to others.o.o I usually add an egg and scallions.

I live with my parents so I don't really cook loads but when I do it's normally mincemeat and peas (which is really nice and very easy to cook) or plain pasta/pasta with ketchup. Other than that I eat various pasta dishes, lasagne, goulash and stuff like that.

Credit to you, I think I'd be sick even watching someone do it.

Not as bad as going to the toilet at Nando's after trying the extra-hot sauce.

Sounds fine, do you have a recipe/guidelines on the mincemeat and peas?

Btw, I put up the cookbook in the OP and since we have a few beginners and people who like pasta, there's an easy as hell plate that I brew up sometimes. It's under 'main dishes'. Well, you need 1-2 hours to prepare the eggplants, but otherwise it's fail-proof and pretty savoury.

EDIT: I added a few other dishes to get things started. Feel free to post pictures of whatever you come up with and if you have another way of doing things, please post it to. There's rarely one 'holy' way of doing something and it's always good to have different recipes or preparation methods.

lol ilu Neph <3

Btw if we're going to talk about cup ramen, I can recommend Shin Ramyun. The brand isn't that bad compared to others.o.o I usually add an egg and scallions.

I eat all sorts. Shin, Jin, Daenjang (sp?), etc. They aren't native English words though, so not sure on the spelling. Eggs are good, but I don't like the yellows. S:

Sounds fine, do you have a recipe/guidelines on the mincemeat and peas?

Btw, I put up the cookbook in the OP and since we have a few beginners and people who like pasta, there's an easy as hell plate that I brew up sometimes. It's under 'main dishes'. Well, you need 1-2 hours to prepare the eggplants, but otherwise it's fail-proof and pretty savoury.

EDIT: I added a few other dishes to get things started. Feel free to post pictures of whatever you come up with and if you have another way of doing things, please post it to. There's rarely one 'holy' way of doing something and it's always good to have different recipes or preparation methods.

I've always wanted to try oriental ramen. As in... the GOOD kind and not just the ones with flavored powder.

I remember seeing a bowl at an organics grocery store called the Whole Foods Market, but the next time I went there, it wasn't there, and I had to make awkward conversation with the sushi chef. I was tempted to just grab a tray, but I wasn't willing to pay $15 for 8 oz of sushi.

Speaking of sushi, I don't think my current title fits me very well, considering I rarely eat sushi with how much it costs. I think "Cookie Crasher" sounds more fitting. I can never eat too many cookies. <3

I've always wanted to try oriental ramen. As in... the GOOD kind and not just the ones with flavored powder.

I remember seeing a bowl at an organics grocery store called the Whole Foods Market, but the next time I went there, it wasn't there, and I had to make awkward conversation with the sushi chef. I was tempted to just grab a tray, but I wasn't willing to pay $15 for 8 oz of sushi.

Speaking of sushi, I don't think my current title fits me very well, considering I rarely eat sushi with how much it costs. I think "Cookie Crasher" sounds more fitting. I can never eat too many cookies. <3

Ramen is good, but you should go to an actual Japanese/Asian restaurant.

Also, today methinks we should discuss and share American recipes.

Archived