[Finished](Ain's Contest Series) New Age Retro Staple Contest Edition

Maeriberii Haan

Well, this is a first of a series of contests made to pump some creativity in card making.

Rules and regulations:

1. All YCM Rules apply
2. Up to 8 people may enter in this tournament.
3. The deadline for entry is in two weeks (sooner if we get 8 people).
4. Cards must be posted in this thread
5. Cards must be made specifically for this contest.
6. Entry fee is 70 points.
7. If you don't have enough points to enter, PM me and I'll waive the fee for you.
8. I have the right to add rules as we go.
9. No written cards!
10. I'll be the sole judge, and I will put my reasoning of my decision when it gets posted.

Card's Requirement

It's quite simple. Create a Spell and Trap card(one each) that have a generic effect that can be used in most decks. The cards must not be a matchup-specific card(side deck material and such), and it must not be a weaker/retrained version of currently limited/forbidden cards, but somewhat similar effect is permitted(Don't make a more situational Dark Hole and Heavy storm. But things like Torrential vs Dark Hole is permitted, since they filled different niches in practice).

Deadline

Sign-ups are open until 25th of October. Cards are due at 6th of November.

Participant

-Kanokarob

-The Laughing Man

-poseidonbt

-Thar

Pot

280 points

Ill enter. Sending points.

EDIT: Since I have my cards, to avoid a double post ill just Set them face-down in here. :P

[spoiler='Trap Card - Favoritism']

v5CVvqv.jpg

Continuous Trap Card

This card cannot be destroyed by an opponent's card Effect. When this card is activated, equip it to a monster you control. You must banish 2 cards with the same (printed) name as the equipped monster from your Deck or destroy this card. Those banished monsters cannot be Special Summoned for the rest of the Duel. The Equipped monster cannot be destroyed by card Effects. Also, control of the Equipped monster cannot switch. When the Equipped monster is destroyed by Battle, shuffle it into your Deck.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Spell Card - The Bigger They Are']

pSchzjS.jpg

Quick Spell

Target 1 face-up monster with 2000 or more ATK; until the End Phase, any monster that battles the targeted monster is not destroyed. Also, inflict damage to your opponent equal to any Battle Damage you would have taken, and you take no Battle Damage.

[/spoiler]

I'll only join because Sora-kun is in it.

Points should be already sent.

[spoiler=Spell Card - Eye of the Storm]

whqdkek.jpg

You can activate this card (from your hand) when your opponent would destroy a Spell or Trap card you control; Your opponent selects a Spell or Trap card they control instead and destroys it.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Trap Card - Fist-Grab Counter]

HZaoj3B.jpg

Activate before the Damage Step of a battle involving a monster you control: Destroy the attacking monster; damage to your Life Points is calculated normally.

[/spoiler]

Hello, i put here my cards.

P6PlnOM.jpg

Target one monster your opponent controls and destroy it; then target one monster in your opponent's graveyard: your opponent Special Summons that monster. 

j9lcBzt.jpg

Once per turn you can pay 200 life points to activate the following effect:
Each player targets one card on the Field. Destroy all the cards on the Field, excepting this card and the targeted cards. 

My entries:

Qzr0wu2.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']Target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; Set that target. When that monster is flipped face-up: Target 1 card on the field; destroy that target, then send this card to the Graveyard.[/spoiler]

X2svQeY.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']Target 1 Special Summoned monster your opponent controls; destroy that target, then your opponent can place 1 "Twisted Visions" from their Deck on top of their deck.[/spoiler]

Ah, just realized the fact that I've forgotten to write the rewards in the main post. That might explain some things.

Anyway, it's time to judge the entries:

Kanokarob:

The trap card is basically a safe zone for a main-decked boss monster, that requires you to run 3 copies of the boss monster. The main flaw of the card is it relies on both drawing it and the monster you wanted to protect AND having 2 other copies still lying in your deck. If you drawn another copy of the boss monster, then this'll be really dead. And Safe Zone also prevents effect targetting and battle destruction while being less of a hassle to activate. 5/10 It's both outclassed, and having a glaring fatal flaw that hurts the playability by a lot.

The spell card is quite nice. It's similar to that one Gusto synchro monster because it turns all your weak monsters into an Amazoness Swordswoman. I can see this being a really useful tech in things like GB, or other decks that relied on small monsters. Might create some OTKs though. 8/10 for this one.

Thar:

The spell is basically useless if set on the field, but the anti MST hand trap effect is nice for decks who relied on continuous S/Ts or field spells. 8/10, definitely usable as a main or side card.

Fist Grab counter's appeal to things like Sakuretsu and DimPris is that it's a counter trap, so things like Pandemic infestation can't be chained into it. The battle damage being still delivered to you kinda hurts though. Also the fact that it needed a monster you control to be face-up. 7/10 for this one. The niche it has over other similar cards doesn't really gives it much reason to be run over the other, more reliable cards.

poseidonbt:

Falling And Rising seems to be useful as a chainable destruction card. It can be run in any decks as a form of spot removal. But certain decks will really appreciate the summon due to them not having any weak links amongst them. 8/10 for this, the effect is really generic, but the spot removal it possess is really valuable and the fact that you choose which monster that'll be revived is what make this card playable.

The Few that remains is really broken, since the effect is optional(you don't have to activate it), and you can just play it, summon a monster, nuke the field, start swarming, and continue making your opponent's life miserable. 4/10, I see what you're trying to do with it, but making the effect optional and the fact that you can activate it before you swarm is what breaks this card.

The Laughing Man:

Sleeping on the job is a nice alternative for Book of Moon. Losing it's versatility, but adding more payoff. Also makes a good MST bait. 8.5/10

Twisted Vision is really interesting. It's a really solid 1-for-1 removal for special summoned monster(and most of the monsters these days is special summoned), and the last effect is quite nice. THis'll be a staple in a funny way though, due to it being a solid card, and people's need to screw the opponent back. This'll be really interesting if released. I'll give it 8.5/10

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, the standings are:

1st: The Laughing Man(2 reps, 40% of the pot)

2nd: Thar (a rep, 30% of the pot)

3rd: Kanokarob (a rep, 20% of the pot)

4th: poseidonbt (a rep, 10% of the pot)

Thank all of you for participating and congratulations for the winners!. I'm sorry if the reviews are weak, but I hope we all can be better from this.

Archived