Deckmaster Tournament (Now accepting)

The Deckmaster Tournament!

Welcome one and all... If you believed that you can escape from this world your mistaken... If you want to escape, you must duel! There will be one new rule though, the Deckmaster Rule! Who will survive? And who will lose their bodies? Only time will tell...

TOURNAMENT OPEN TO REGISTRANTS!

For those who don't know, the Deckmaster Rule:
When a round is announced, the player must choose 1 Monster in their deck, that monster will be their Deckmaster for the Round.

Deckmaster rules/capabilities:
1. You choose 1 Monster from your Deck or Extra Deck as your Deckmaster for the Match. You cannot rechoose a Deckmaster during a round.

2. Deckmasters do NOT go in the Deck. Instead they are placed in the Banished Zone before the game. Officially they have a Deckmaster Zone but as DN does not have that Zone, we will used the Banished Zone. (NOTE: They are not Banished, but it is just to keep them from being confused with other things)

3. Each Deckmaster has at least 1 Deckmaster ability. (Some have 2)
For a list of Deckmaster abilities go here:
http://www.pojo.com/yu-gi-oh/CCGTips/2004/October2004/Yugi-20/Deck%20Master%20Ability%20list%20-%20yugiohfans.htm
If you do not see your selected Deckmaster there, let me know and I wil assign it a Deckmaster ability.

4. Deckmasters cannot be returned to the Hand/Deck. If they are, they are returned to the Deckmaster(Banished) Zone.

5. During your Main Phase, you can Special Summon your Deckmaster to your Field. At this time, no Card Effects can be activated by an Opponent. (As in you cannot activate Solemn Warning or Bottomless Trap Hole when a Deckmaster is summoned)

6. If a Deckmaster is tributed, used as a Material Monster to Fuse, Synchro or Xyz Summon, or if the Monster Special Summons another Monster; that Monster is now your Deckmaster.

7. Deckmasters cannot use their Deckmaster abilities while in play.

8. Deck masters cannot switch control. (This is specifically so that a player will not have to make himself lose in an attempt to win)

9. If your Deckmaster is Destroyed or Banished, you lose the game. But if you have a Card effect that activates when a Monster is destroyed and will Special Summon a Monster when it resolves, that Special Summoned Monster becomes your Deckmaster.

10. The winner get 1,000,000 Invisible dollars and pride.

11. Jinzo is banned from being a Deckmaster.

Other rules:
1. When you enter, either PM me or post here what your deck is so I can confirm the Deckmaster was originally in the Deck.

2. Now for Decks, there is a 41 card minimum so that when your Deckmaster is chosen, you will still have at least 40.

3. When you win a Duel, take a pic and post it here. If you forget, and your Opponent agrees on who won, then that will also be accepted.

4. The Tournament will be Swiss until top 16. At that point, it will be Single Elimination.

5. When a Round is announced, please post your Deckmaster. I will then post your Deckmaster by your name in the pairings along with the effect that your Deckmaster has.

6. We will be using the current TCG Banlist and all cards currently in the TCG.

7. When you enter please post your DN name as well.

8. You may change your Deck, but please send me a pic of your deck so I can confirm that your deck is good and that your selected Deckmaster was in your Deck originally.

If you have any questions, please ask them and with that have fun one and all!

Entrants:
Name/DN Username
TFMegamanlan (Nexucon Prime)

This honestly seems really ill thought and planned out. It just screams "Here's generic stuff without any sort of balancing aspect added, have at it".

The fact that you're both making abilities for new Deck Masters not on the list AND participating calls your integrity into question because, for all intents and purposes, you can simply give them an ability that will give you a handicap/harm them.

Multiple people on this site, myself included, have attempted to make a Deck Master format and/or Tournament. In this case, it's so generic and lifeless, I can't bring myself to say it's going to end well at all.

Examples of my ideas and others:

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/294889-deck-master-tournament-congratulations-to-brokenheart15/?hl=%2Bdeck+%2Bmaster

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/299700-deck-master-rules-and-effects/

Well I want to participate myself (which is why I am) and this tournament is not limited to the site, I also have a Facebook group that's joining the tournament as well.
With that said, I would not mind if other people would want to join in and assist in putting Deckmaster effects among other things.

This sounds like fun, but yeah, the kinks need to be worked out first. there's actually a thread on this somewhere In this forum where a few of the kinks got worked out. If possible, it might also be best to just create a generic rule to deck masters instead of individual effects. otherwise there would be a ton of problems that nobody would be able to predict.

You should try asking  Zeppeli Gyro Supreme for some advice, Or at least check his character tournament rules thread for a good start. He's been building tournaments for a while from what I've seen, and he'd probably know a few good rules.

If possible, I'd like to help out also If I can stop being lazy I'll see if I can find the old deckmaster thread and build upon that for a few rules regarding them.

This sounds like fun, but yeah, the kinks need to be worked out first. there's actually a thread on this somewhere In this forum where a few of the kinks got worked out. If possible, it might also be best to just create a generic rule to deck masters instead of individual effects. otherwise there would be a ton of problems that nobody would be able to predict.

You should try asking  Zeppeli Gyro Supreme for some advice, Or at least check his character tournament rules thread for a good start. He's been building tournaments for a while from what I've seen, and he'd probably know a few good rules.

If possible, I'd like to help out also If I can stop being lazy I'll see if I can find the old deckmaster thread and build upon that for a few rules regarding them.

Multiple people on this site, myself included, have attempted to make a Deck Master format and/or Tournament. In this case, it's so generic and lifeless, I can't bring myself to say it's going to end well at all.

Examples of my ideas and others:

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/294889-deck-master-tournament-congratulations-to-brokenheart15/?hl=%2Bdeck+%2Bmaster

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/299700-deck-master-rules-and-effects/

Like really? =|

Like really? =|

lol sorry, I missed that Missed those links...

But yeah, It would still be fun to try it and actually succeed. On the other hand, It'd be better probably to just work on it for now to get a starting frame, and begin it during a holiday, since most of the people on this site will probably be busy @classes or work otherwise.

Maybe the deck masters could be limited to signature monsters? Like well known monsters from the anime, or famous monsters that have easily understandable effects(like Blue-Eyes, Egyptian Gods, Galaxy eyes, Neos, Stardust, Ect...). A good way to go about it (I think) would be that monsters that become deck masters Are automatically placed on the field if you use their effects, since that would discourage random effect spamming. or If the card has a passive effect, It'll be a really nerfed effect compared to the original(like Jinzo would only impose a LP cost to activate traps instead of negate them, or krystia would Impose a maximum special summon limit instead of complete prevention)

A possible way to set it up could be that anybody who enters can choose up to 3(?) monsters from the list and They'll have to design an effect for each monster that's related to it's normal effect and discuss it with a tournament moderator (somebody who's not in the tournament for fairness). Then they choose 1 of those monsters to use for the entire tournament and cannot change it.

So essentially, the 1st phase should be building a deck, and choosing a deck master to use. There could be more details, restrictions, and rules but if the tournament is gonna be deck master based the very 1st thing that has to be taken care of has to be the deck master setup.

I have a few more ideas, but I those have to wait until I stop being lazy.

That could work as well. But I did want to keep away from God Cards being allowed. I may put it as only Face Cards or Main cards that commonly show up in the anime (ie Red-Eyes, Blue-Eyes, etc.)

That could work as well. But I did want to keep away from God Cards being allowed. I may put it as only Face Cards of sets or Main cards that commonly show up in the anime (ie Red-Eyes, Blue-Eyes, etc.)

[quote name="vla1ne" post="6302044" timestamp="1383967520"] A good way to go about it (I think) would be that monsters that become deck masters Are automatically placed on the field if you use their effects, since that would discourage random effect spamming.[/quote] That takes away all the fun in using a deck master. You'd rather go with the first idea and limit it to the ones that appeared in the anime. That way, you have fixed effects (the only problem is, it limits what decks you can use but personally, I think it would be more fun to see people use old school deck themes like Dark Magician).

That takes away all the fun in using a deck master. You'd rather go with the first idea and limit it to the ones that appeared in the anime. That way, you have fixed effects (the only problem is, it limits what decks you can use but personally, I think it would be more fun to see people use old school deck themes like Dark Magician).

I'm not sure if that would actually limit ideas, You could still use your deckmaster, It would just be less spammable, but I can see how only 1 use would discourage using one at all ,so how about weaker effects get 2 uses before they're forced onto field, and stronger effects get 1 use, because that would ensure that weaker effects are on par with stronger ones, while stronger effects would be better saved for emergency moments. Not to mention passive effects would still be a thing, so you could just develop a passive effect instead of trying to make a trigger one.

Besides, If a monster has no effect to go by, you could just make one that fits the monsters theme, like Dark Magician could boost all Spellcasters by a certain amount, or Red Eyes could follow a theme based on potential, so something to help with transformation effects (like It could help Level monsters or substitute for fusions).  Neos could be completely fusion oriented (so possibly a 1 use effect auto-fuses any monster without polymerization). As long as the effect is deemed to be balanced, and fits the theme I think it would be good, but These are just Random ideas, so if you thought of something else to keep it balanced It might help out some.

I just looked at the effects of some of the cards on that pojo list.

[spoiler='Some of my opinions'] 

Banisher of the light removes all need for macro cosmos, I know that's it's original effect, but as a deck master, It becomes far more broken than almost any other kind of effect in the game.

Barrel dragons 2nd effect is almost as powerful since dragon rulers still exist, you might want to either keep the need for a coin flip, or move it to the field after a certain number of uses.

Berserk dragons effect makes it prime for all kinds of abuse as well, for example, you could tribute/ special summon cards like Blue Eyes Shining/ Red Eyes Darkness/ Neo-Daedalus no problem

BLS's effect seems like it'd be a 2 use effect.

BLSEOTB's effect would probably be a 1 use effect before making it hit field, and the 2nd effect is either broken, or pointless depending on what you mean.

Breakers 1st effect is the same as BLSEOTB, there is no real point to it since you'd be better off just having them all in your deck instead of being deck masters, this sentence applies to all future effects like this, they don't really have an impact on the game.

Buster Blader would have to be a 1, maybe 2 time effect, otherwise it'd simply kill all dragon type decks form the deck master zone.

Byser Shock is broken, just like banisher, continuous effects that are active in the deck master zone are impossible to stop, so you cannot make them this powerful. this same thing goes for any future effects of this magnitude

Catapult Turtule is just like Buster Blader, It might be specific, but it's too powerful, they both need either a cost, or a use limit

Celtic guard is the same as byser and banisher

Command needs a use limit

Chaos Emperor is broken, both effects. there's no other way to put it.

Gustaph is the same as banisher, byser ect...

Curse of Dragons 2nd effect would be a 1-2 use effect, and might still need a cost.

Scout plane is broken, It's like return from the different dimention, for less cost.

Dark Magicians 2nd effect is broken as all hell.

Dark magician girls 2nd effect is broken as well.

Dark magician of chaos, Same as banisher, byser...

I could keep going, but I'm tired, and the rest of the cards in the pojo set that need work fall under mostly these same issues[/spoiler]

I get that the tournament is meant to be a fun game, but some of those effects would easily create situations where 1 of the players would be heavily handicapped from the very start of the match. IMO The more balanced the deck masters, the more all the players who decide to participate would get to use their decks full potential, and the more fun they'd have overall.

Archived