Godzilla 2014

Jake the Sage

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay on the topic of the MUTOs being parasitic. My cousin and I had a lengthy discussion about that because he noticed it as well. Hell, his exact words were, "If MUTOs a parasite then why didn't it show any parasite traits?"

We came to this conclusion- the Female MUTO had NO HOST in which to correctly deposit her offspring into. As a nuclear parasite the MUTO would naturally search out a convenient, and close, source of radiation for her offspring to feed on once they hatch. With Godzilla not only being too dangerous of a target and no other sources of radiation nearby the ONLY choice the Female MUTO had was to take the bomb the military had been planning to use to lure them away and use it instead. That's what we came up with at least.

Technically Godzilla is explained as BOTH a nuclear monstrosity AND an ancient dinosaur. They basically stated he is a nuclear creature, of gigantic proportions, that lived in prehistory. All of this was done to explain away how Godzilla, or something of his size, could still exist in this day and age. In the past people were able to get away with something like "Oh it was a dinosaur that lived on an island and nuclear radiation turned him into Godzilla." This not only explains how an ancient dinosaur/monster can exist in this day and age with some believably but also leaves the question open- are there MORE Godzillas we don't know about?

[spoiler=My ENTIRE Thoughts on "Godzilla 2014"]

I liked the movie.

Okay so I should get a little more into the details, hmm?

We'll since they take up most of the screen time I guess I should talk about- THE HUMAN CHARACTERS

"The Danger", because I can't remember the actor's real name, did an amazing job both before AND after the time skip. He played a convincing nuclear reactor manager, I'm assuming that was his job, and a heartbroken husband when he saw his wife behind the blast doors. Past the time skip he also played a convincing "crackpot" who thinks that there is some kind of government cover-up and will go to any length to prove he's right. All of the emotions seemed genuine and I was almost compelled to see "The Danger" actually go laser-tank blazing up against Godzilla in a misguided attempt to get revenge.

I actually thought that was what he was GOING to do until the Male MUTO killed "The Danger". Like everyone else I don't mind that he died, just surprised he was killed off so easily quickly.

Lieutenant Broady on the other hand, was so stoic that I just couldn't get into him whenever a scene called for any kind of emotion. For instance the scene where "The Danger" was talking about his DEAD MOTHER and that he couldn't keep running from it he DIDN'T SEEM PHASED AT ALL. No emotion. He didn't even seem choked up a little that his Dad is bringing up memories he stated, in a previous scene, he didn't want brought back up. So he is kind of bland and uninteresting to be honest. If he had shown a bit more emotion then I might have been behind him actually finding his wife and son, but any semblance of wanting that to happen merely came from the wife's acting. Not his.

Mrs. Broady and Broady Junior

While Broady has more screen time and less acting skills, the exact opposite can be said for the actress playing his wife. Honestly she was the better of the pair. When she cried I felt like she was actually crying for real instead of acting. She sucked me into the plight she had to go through knowing her husband was out there with these giant monsters that could easily kill him. The only problem is that she didn't get much to do. She was, to put it lightly, just a goal for Broady to get too.

As for the son . . . . my God! I mean MY GOD!!! I know child actors are generally bad but, sometimes I forget that there was even a son to begin with. He not only has almost no point in the entire movie but his acting is so bland, as I said, I forget he's even there. Another change I would've made is to just remove the son all together. If you want a bit more drama into it then make Mrs. Broady pregnant and have her almost due. That way instead of Broady just going to rescue his wife, when she could leave at any moment of her own free will, it makes it a bit more believable that she can't leave on her own and adds the added suspense of "is he going to get there in time?" and "will everything turn out alright with the baby?"

Any other human characters played their parts well enough, but not enough that I'll give any additional attention too.

. . . .

Besides Doctor Serizawa.

Honestly I'm not sure wither to be happy about his portrayal in this or absolutely pissed. On one note you've reduced one of the most iconic, if not the most iconic, human character in the entire Godzilla series into a secondary character; all he is really there to do is suggest Godzilla fight the MUTOs and remind us "nature has a balance". Yet at the same time I like that he is involved in most of the things going on, unlike the original which only decided to act once he realized the love of his life was banging the main character. This Serizawa seems to know on some basic level that anything they [the humans] do to stop the giant monsters is going to fail, thus why he suggested Godzilla fight the MUTOs.

Now for THE MONSTERS

MUTOs

I'll say that the design for the MUTOs is interesting to say the least. They're so alien without actually being from outer space it's stunning. I haven't seen an interesting design like that since Monster X in "Godzilla: Final Wars". Not only that but their powers is something I've never seen, nor considered, before. Electro Magnetic Pulse. EMP. They literally can "send us back to the stone age" with their power. It makes for an interesting analogy that this force of nature, this monster, has the power to devastate human culture and that we're absolutely powerless against it.

I also like that the MUTOs AND Godzilla show emotion. When the female MUTO looks into her net and sees all of her offspring burnt to a crisp she begins to, I'm not kidding, wale in both horror and sadness. You almost feel sorry that the MUTO's babies were blown up when she's crying over them. But beyond that the scene where the two MUTOs meet for the first time is also filled with emotion, the two monsters nuzzling affectionately. Godzilla on the other hand has his emotions range from exhausted, pissed, calm, and so on. When he is lying down and looking at Broady you can almost hear him thinking, "I'm just going to lie here for a minute then get back up and f*ck sh*t up."

So as expected the best part of this movie is of course the monsters as well as their fight which you really feel. At points I thought Godzilla was going to lose . . .

COMPARISONS

As I've said before I've had time to let all of this sink in. While doing that I've also compared it to any of the other Godzilla movies that have come before it. While I still don't understand people complaining about the film focusing on the humans more than Godzilla (seriously has any of them ever watched a Godzilla film? Most of the time that is exactly what they do) I also can understand the other complaints.

To me this movie is a very decent mix of "Godzilla (1998)" and "Godzilla: 2000". It reminds me of the first American Godzilla because you have a monster that's pregnant. In fact when Broady stumbles upon the nest and shines his flashlight I leaned over to my cousin and stated, "Stop counting", since it reminded me so much of that scene. Another parallel was Godzilla with the bridge. However, instead of being killed on the bridge this Godzilla show exactly what would happen to a bridge if it was in his way. The plot on the other hand, as well as the actors, reminds me of "Godzilla: 2000". The actors were decent enough, no Oscar winners, but there was one or two that did a good enough job that I'll remember them. The plot was also very similar in that Godzilla has to fight an ancient creature, Ogra, that was found lying dormant somewhere until humans woke it up.

So to say you hate the plot of this movie would basically be the same as saying you hate the plot for "Godzilla: 2000". As both have almost identical plots.

In total I'd have to give this one notch above what I'd give "Godzilla: 2000" because of the stellar monster fighting

8/10

"THEY KILLED THE DANGER?!"

[/spoiler]

Also, in case none of you have heard

Next Time on DEATH BATTLE!!!

I do agree with the majority of this. However, to me, I had a few issues with Mrs. Brody too. Just nitpick things. Lieutenant Brody did come off as a little too much like a mannequin. Also, I realize Godzilla has been considered a dinosaur before that was enhanced through radiation (i.e. Godzillasaurus), this movie just made him a dinosaur period. Yes, radiation helped him to survive and thrive, but it didn't claim him to be the product of radiation. IIRC, the "testing" of nuclear bombs was actually meant to destroy him, not create him. Plus, there's not too much delving into where Godzilla came from to begin with, or how he lived without being noticed. However, if that is covered in subsequent movies, then that will do for me.

So no one has a response?

Also so we have a topic to talk about, what do you think a SEQUEL would be?

Actually, sequel ideas were already discussed before. The idea is a Destroy All Monsters vibe where there are monsters on an island. Also, a sequel is confirmed, which is no surprise after the great opening of Godzilla.

I may even go watch it again this weekend.

Actually, sequel ideas were already discussed before. The idea is a Destroy All Monsters vibe where there are monsters on an island. Also, a sequel is confirmed, which is no surprise after the great opening of Godzilla.

I may even go watch it again this weekend.

I know that the sequel has already been announced. I also know what the director might be planning, but I want to hear everyone else's ideas.

What new or old monster would you like to see the new Godzilla take on?

I heard King Kong already but that isn't going to happen.

You pretty much asked and answered your own question. :P

Too many things going without proper buildup + too many major characters + limited time allotment = horrible movie

Which is why I fear for Justice League, but that's a different topic.

Nope asked you it not myself, just wanted to hear your opinion. Whether or whether not they have an original monster to fight, I don't care too much but I hope it makes sense; would love them to put older monsters in though. 

• 2 weeks later...

wow i've missed a bit, but to sum my thoughts up;

godzilla in any heisei era+form stomps gamera thanks to far more natural raw power (in death battles, outside assistance is usually not allowed so no magtama upgrade for gamera unlesss they pull some kind of convenience twist) although gamera can fly, to the best of my knowledge he hasn't been shown to be immune to anything on the level of godzillas breath attacks while doing so without outside assistance. not sure if regeneration could be a facor in this case, but you never know.

also, in the sequel, i'm hoping they continue along this new timeline instead of going into a new continuity that way we get more monster screentime and less "briefing"dialog, this movie was wonderful, and I know how much hell it is to properly render high detail creatures so they get some leeway from me, but doing it twice would be an offense to the monster loving child in all of us. this movie was a reboot, so i accepted the pacing as a necessary, and fairly well done evil. the next movie won't have as much of that cushion to fall back on.

If the Easter eggs were any hint, they already know who they want. and I have no doubts they already have him in the works also, BRING BACK BATTRA FOR OLD TIMES SAKE!!

Oh god, Battra. Yes, definitely needs to make a return. He(She?) was absent from Final Wars for some reason, too. In that case, I want to see Biollante, Destoroyah and-obviously, Spacegodzilla. Though I'm fine with having a Ghidorah form as the villain for the next movie.

I guess the male MUTO can be seen as a legacy character of sorts to Megaguirus.

Oh god, Battra. Yes, definitely needs to make a return. He(She?) was absent from Final Wars for some reason, too.

Uh that was because Battra was DEAD . . .

In Final Wars only the monsters that remained alive throughout the series was able to return.

In that case, I want to see Biollante, Destoroyah and-obviously, Spacegodzilla. Though I'm fine with having a Ghidorah form as the villain for the next movie.

I'd also like to see a return, if not a reimaginging, of Biollante as she's one of my favorite kaiju of all time. She also happens to be one of the few Godzilla spawns that actually manages to "beat" the King.

Archived