[New Fan Fic] ---Kain's Travels (Chapter 6 is up!)

*STORYLINE edited 4/10/08 and CHARACTERS edited 4/14/08

CHAPTER 6 is finally up after 5 months!

Heya, everyone. You probably haven't noticed, but I quit writing my old Fan-Fic. Well, that's because it had a bad premise, was boring, and I've been too busy. But now I'm making a new one, with a better theme, and a better writing style!

STORYLINE

The storyline as of now is of a man named Kain, a laid back guy who likes to have fun at the expense of others, in a strange world somewhat like our own. One of the many differences, though, is that in this world, Yu-Gi-Oh! involves REAL summoning. Only a very few have the power to actually summon, due mainly to the fact that they require a mysterious power, and Monster cards have to choose their user.

Recently--

After a near-loss at the hands of Kolpus, a woman wow artificially created her own ability to duel, Kain decided to create a better deck for himself. However, he and Ulfur soon begin to realize that somebody is onto their plan to protect and release the power of The Pyramid.

At the bottom of this post is the list of cards featured in this Fan Fic. Also, for anyone who would like a character in this Fan Fic, fill this out (I will create some of the character's cards by my own if it's okay. And I don't want any OTK decks):

Name:

Alignment (good, evil, neutral):

Energy Color:

Location (West, East, different dimension, etc):

Deck/Deck Type (send a list if you can):

Trump Card:

IMPORTANT CHARACTERS:

Name: Kain

Alignment: Neutral-Good

Energy Color: White

Deck/Deck Type: Magician and Knight Guild

Name: Ulfur

Alignment: Good

Energy Color: Green

Deck/Deck Type: Desert Survival

Name: Kolpus

Alignment: Evil

Energy Color: Pink/Light Red

Deck/Deck Type: Insectoid Garden

Name: Zacharael

Alignment: Evil

Energy Color: ???

Deck/Deck Type: Mages?

Name: Legion

Allignment: Evil/Neutral

Energy Color: Gray

Deck/Deck Type: Darkness Beatdown

Here's the beginning of Chapter 1:

[spoiler= Kain's Travels] Kain’s cloak flowed along with the gentle breeze in the air, collecting little flakes of snow as he walked through the frozen ground high up in his mountain. Just the day before he had been talking to his friend, Legion, about what to do about the latest intruders, and today he had decided he would scare them off with his power.

Ahead of him, a small campfire and a circle of tents were now visible, and laughter drifted through the air along side the cold wind and the growing snow. Kain made his way slowly to this camp, his heavy boots somehow not creating the slightest creak on the patches of ice which they passed over. He was a ghost as he drifted between the men in camp. As they noticed him, they all jumped and yelled out in fear, betraying their burly physique and ghastly features.

Kain: I believe you are on my mountain. Would you mind please leaving?

The men stood, gaping for a moment, and then began to chuckle a bit. Kain was a tall, but slender man, with scraggly near-black hair and a long brown cloak covering the whole of his torso, and most of his legs. The men were all massive, and in heavy fur coats, wielding large clubs covered in spikes and nails which would surely cause a lot of damage to anyone who was hit by it.

???: What you gowna do, fight us?

Kain: Maybe, if you’re not afraid to do so. I bet you don’t even have any of that energy.

???: What?! How dare you talk to me, Kirim the Reaper, like dat!

Kirim reached behind himself, and quickly unfolded a large scythe from his back, holding it threatening at Kain. The pale, chapped lips of Kain’s face formed into a small smile, and Kain immediately forced open his cloak, letting it flow in the wind as he brought forth a single deck of cards.

Kain: Instead of using weapons, we’ll settle this with a true duel of strength!

Chapter 1 Part 2 3rd Post, Page 1.

Chapter 2 4th Post, Page 1.

Chapter 3 Part 1 4th Post, Page 2.

Chapter 3 Part 2 4th Post, Page 2.

Chapter 4 Part 1 7th Post, Page 2

Chapter 4 Part 2 8th Post, Page 2

Chapter 5 10th Post, Page 2

Chapter 6 Part 1 9th Post, Page 3

[spoiler=Featured Cards]

All featured cards can be found: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/showthread.php?tid=33680

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CHAPTER ONE CONCLUSION

Kirim growled under his breath, and looked around at the rest of the men in the camp. He really didn’t like to use that power.. But everyone’s eyes were on him, and if he wimped out he’d lose his status as leader, and likely be laughed out of town the next day.

Kirim: Fine, I accept your challenge! You better be ready to lose, Hermit!

Kain: I’m not a Hermit, but okay. You can go first.

Kirim pulled out the deck of cards from within his heavy, lion fur coat. The ground then began to shake with an intense power, toppling over the tents, sending the snow swirling in the air, and all but Kain and Kirim were thrown onto their backs and dragged across the land for a great distance. The mountainside lay bare, only Kain and Kirim standing on its rocky surface. After a few moments a large white pattern appeared beneath their feet. Kirim swallowed hard and looked around nervously. On the outline of the circle was the rest of the men in his gang, waving their clubs in the air.

Kain: What are you waiting for? Make your move.

Kirim: Rrrr.. I’ll draw!

Through Kain’s eyes, Kirim’s body glowed faintly light purple as he drew six cards from his deck. Kain’s own body was a swirling white vortex as he picked up five of his own cards.

Kirim: Alright... for my first move I’ll.. Summon “Aslak the Powerful”!

Kirim revealed the card in his hand, and his purple energy engulfed it instantly. Then a circle of the same color appeared in front of Kirim, and out of it came a warrior not much unlike Kirim, but wearing black fur and a large, horned helmet.

Aslak’s Attack: 1700

Kirim: Then I set a card and end my turn!

A large tablet appeared behind the warrior in black, glowing a faint purple for a few seconds, and then Kain drew a card from his deck.

Kain: You have a very powerful warrior there. However, you seem to have forgotten what this game is all about! I summon forth “The Architect”!

Kain’s energy spiraled into the card which he revealed, and out of nowhere a flash from the sky brought forth a small man with a backpack full of scrolls.

Architect’s Attack: 1400

Kirim: Hahaha! You fool! You summon a weaker monster, and in attack position?

Kain: As I said, you’ve forgotten the true way to play the game. I activate The Architect’s ability! I may pick a face-down Spell or Trap on the field and activate it, and I choose your face-down.

Kirim’s eyes opened wide as the tablet before him lifted up to reveal a massive fireball. The ball then smashed down upon Kirim’s monster, and the fire spread to Kain, singing him slightly.

Kain’s Life Points– 2800

Kain: Good strategy. You were going to activate that card and inflict damage to me by getting rid of your old warrior. However, that move has now set you back. Attack, Architect! Then I’ll set two cards and end my turn.

The small man rushed forward and slammed a fist into Kirim’s face, sending him onto his butt. Kain laughed, and two tablets appeared behind his own monster.

Kirim’s Life Points– 2600

Kirim: How did..? I... Argh!

Kirim drew a card from his deck, his face red with fury, and then grinned, revealing a spell card from his hand.

Kirim: I activate the power of “Anubis Hammer”! This card decreases the attack of a monster on your side of the field to 0 until the end of the turn!

A hammer of shadows and spirits appeared above Kirim’s head, and Kirim laughed as the hammer swung down upon The Architect, but at the last moment one of Kain’s tablets lifted and a large temple came up from the ground and surrounded Kain’s monster.

Kain: You triggered my “Earthrealm Temple” card. It activates automatically whenever my Architect is targeted by a card effect, and protects him from that effect. Then he’s switched to defense mode, but gains 500 points!

Architect’s Defense: 1500

Kirim: What the?! Whatever, I’ll still summon this, "Unrelenting Bog"! And he attacks your

Bog’s Attack: 2000

A large sludge monster seethed up through the cracks in the ground and let out a blood curdling roar before rushing forward and smothering The Architect with its gelatinous body. Kirim shouted then as some of his power was sucked into the monster.

Kirim’s Life Points– 1600

Kain: Your monster automatically destroys my monster, but you also lose some of your own life in the process, you fool.

Kirim: Shut up! I’m still going to win! My monster is much more powerful than your own, and I also have this card...

Kirim set a tablet down, and then it was Kain’s turn. Kain then drew a card.

Kain: Well, this is quite interesting.

Kirim: What, you have nothing to beat me with? Ha!

Kain: No, not that. I just drew a card that will make this game my win. I think I’ll play it. Get ready for the power of “Bribe of Defiance”!

Kirim began to laugh suddenly, almost falling down on his butt again as he did so. Brutal Defiance was one of the worst powers to activate, and especially in a time like this. The Bog’s eyes glowed red, and the nasty creature shifted over to Kain’s side.

Kain: Think this is funny? I may not be able to attack after activating this card, and lose part of my life at the end of my turns, but I don’t plan on any of this happening. I summon Unsettled Alchemist!

Alchemist’s Attack: 900

Kirim: Heh.. You know what, I’ll just use this now. I wont need it! “Soul Crush”

Kirim’s tablet flipped over slowly, revealing a large golden mechanism. The machine came to life, slowly pumping an arm in the air, and a layer of purple energy began to slowly press down on Kain’s monsters, forcing them into defense mode.

Kain: Do you even wait to see what my effects are? It’s a wonder how you ever got to be the leader of your gang, let along gain that power. I activate my Alchemist’s effect!

The very thin, slumped man in front of Kain mumbled a bit and pulled out a small vial, which it abruptly threw to the ground. The vial exploded into a plume of black smoke as high as a skyscraper. Then, as the smoke cleared, a black giant appeared, peering down at Kirim with a toothy grin on its face.

Kirim: No, not him! Not Brimir!

Kain: Yes, him. My Alchemist’s ability is to destroy himself and another monster in order to summon a monster of equal power to their own. I think it’s time to say goodbye...

The men on the outside of the circle all cringed as the giant put its hands together and hammered Kirim into the ground. After that, they all ran away, leaving their camp and weapons behind. The circle disappeared soon enough, and all of the snow, dirt, and rocks flooed back upon the mountainside, filling in their own placed. Kirim was half buried in the snow, exhausted and panting. Kain shook his head slowly and began to walk down the hill to town, only looking back once to say “Learn to win.”

[align=center]CHAPTER II-- PART I

"Old Friends From Old Times"[/align]

With the gang now out of his hair, Kain was able to think more clearly. His steps were sure and quick down the side of the mountainside, and he was soon enough in the tiny town at the bottom. The streets were filled with many filthy people, and men trying to sell fruit and rotten meat which they claimed was fresh.

Kain: Ah! I just remembered what I came down here for! I was supposed to meet up with Ulfur in The Dragon’s Head Inn and begin my travels to The Pyramid.

Kain rushed through the streets and occasionally bumped into a beggar or young person on his way, to which he would turn back and say sorry to them, in effect making him bump into even more people. If only he didn’t want to be on the good side of these villagers he could have saved a lot of time. But, alas, they were quite useful for information, due to their paranoid behavior.

Finally, Kain reached the Inn. It was a large gray building, with a dull wooden sign which bore the carved face of a dragon, and the door was nothing but a slab of wood with fur attached to it. Not much, but to many in the village it was home. Kain opened up the door slowly, cringing at the high pitched creak which it emitted, and then walked inside to find quite a few burly men sitting at a circular table at the end of the room.

Kain: Hey guys, still playing with your worthless little playing cards? When are you going to go get that power and play a REAL game?

Kain laughed out loud, and began to walk right past the table of men before he was seized by the shoulder and thrown back. In that instant, Kain spun himself around and grabbed the arm which was on his shoulder, and gave it a slight twist.

Ulfur: Ahaha! Still trying to best me as always?

Ulfur let out a bellowing laugh and pat Kain’s shoulder with a very strong hand. Kain laughed a bit nervously at that.

Kain: Uhh.. Sorry. Didn’t realize it was you, Ulfur.

Ulfur: Oh, that’s alright, Kain! It’s not like I’m half the size of a giant or anything like that.

Ulfur was indeed tall. His head, when he stood, nearly hit the ceiling. He was wearing large green pants made of a rare vine only found in the East, and his shirt was large, open, and quite blue. On his chin he wore a large, brown beard.

Kain: Right on. Now, what was it you said I was supposed to do in order for you to take me to The Pyramid again?

Ulfur: Nothing much. Just thought I’d make you beat me in a duel of cards.

Kain: What?! You can’t be serious!

Ulfur (laughing): Yes, I am serious! You might be at the disadvantage because of my power, but you must also remember I have less stable energy than your own. That could win the game for you. So, what do you say we step outside and do this thing?

Ulfur and Kain both walked out of the Inn together at that, and then quickly produced their deck of cards from within their shirts. The ground began to rumble, and a dark green energy burst from around Ulfur’s body, rising high into the clouds. Kain’s own, white energy did the same, but was spinning. The same white circle then appeared on the ground beneath the two duelists, and the match was on its way.

Kain: One thing before I start my turn. What happens if I lose?

Ulfur: I’ll kill you.

Kain gave a small grin before drawing the top six cards of his deck. He knew Ulfur was serious, but Kain was being pushed forward by the idea of playing for his life. As Kain looked over the cards in his hand, he noted the feeling of their energies.. Ulfur had higher Life than Kain did.

Ulfur’s Life Points: 5000

Kain’s Life Points: 4000

Kain: For my first turn, I’ll activate “Caustic Chemistry”, and then set a monster face down!

A small lab suddenly appeared around Kain, with bubbling chemicals in each of the vials and bottles. Then a stone tablet appeared sideways in front of that. After that, Ulfur drew a card from his deck and looked over his hand.

Ulfur: Good move, Kain. Caustic Chemistry is immune to spell magic, and you know my deck is filled with powerful spells. However, I’m going to have to take out that monster of yours. “Desert Trials”!

Ulfur revealed the spell from his hand, and his green energy shot into it, releasing a massive sandstorm which shred through Kain’s face-down monster. It was a strange, one-eyed dragon with massive teeth. As the creature was destroyed, it let out a long bellow.

Kain: You activate “Rullsnaptn’s” ability! If he was destroyed by a spell or trap, I get to add a monster with 1000 defense or less from my deck to my hand. I choose “The Fortune Teller”!

Ulfur: Once again, you’re playing smart! I can see how quickly your energy has adapted to my own. Great work! But, anyway, I must set a monster of my own. Then I end.

A stone tablet appeared face-down in front of Ulfur, and then Kain drew a new card from his deck. His energy was pulsing around him, giving away his excitement.

Kain: Now I activate “Caustic Chemistry”’s ability and discard a spell, “Icy Glare”, to add a level 3 or lower monster from my deck to my hand! This time, I choose “Bulder Head”!

A card in Kain’s hand dropped into one of the bubbling pots, and from it burst a stone-covered man with a large pick in his hand. The creature transformed into a card and was added to Kain’s hand.

Ulfur: You have to be cheating or something! You keep drawing the right cards to counter my strategy!

Kain: Well, actually, I’m using cards to search out my deck. And Caustic Chemistry was pure luck.

Ulfur: Riiiight.

Kain: Now, if it’s okay, I’ll summon “The Fortune Teller”.

Ulfur grunted a bit as a bright flashing light from the ground brought forth a woman covered in silk robes and jewelry. The woman’s eyes opened wide suddenly, and a sard from Kain’s hand flipped over, a pulse of energy projecting the rock-bodied man that was added to Kain’s hand.

Fortune Teller’s Attack: 1400

Bulder Head’s Attack: 2000

Kain: That’s my Fortune Teller’s ability. She lets me summon a level 3 or lower monster from my hand when she’s played, and that monster gains 500 strength! I know you’re probably using a monster with a defensive effect, so I might as well use Bulder Head to attack it, because by Fortune Teller’s effect he’ll be destroyed anyway!

Ulfur stared sarcastically as the pick-axe weilder ran at the tablet, but then smiled as it flipped over to reveal an alligator of pure sand.

Ulfur: “Quicksand Alligator”’s effect activates, and I discard a card from my hand to change him to attack position during the battle! And guess what? He has 2000 attack also!

Kain: What?! That’s just mean..

The alligator leapt up and bit at the rock man, but both of the monsters fell apart slowly onto the ground, and Bulder Head’s ability activated, flinging rocks at both players. Kain then sent his Fortune Teller to attack Ulfur directly, slashing at him wildly with her jeweled hands.

Ulfur’s Life Points: 3400

Kain’s Life Points: 3800

CHAPTER II – PART II

The entire village was chatting about the battle going on by the Dragon’s Head Inn. Not many people got to witness a real duel before, and were quite excited by this once in a lifetime opportunity, gathering all around the white circle and shoving each other.

Ulfur: My turn now, Kain!

Kain nodded silently. Kain was the only one with a field right now, having both Caustic Chemistry and The Fortune Teller at the ready. Kain’s hand was three cards, and Ulfur had four after drawing.

Ulfur: Now I summon “Sandstorm Mantis” in attack position, and put into play “Sand Dune”!

Sandstorm Mantis had 1400 attack points, an equal amount to Kain’s Fortune Teller. However, when Sand Dune was activated, the field became engulfed in a massive pile of sand, of which Sandstorm Mantis easily crawled out of. However, Kain’s monster was struggling.

Kain: I probably should have guessed you’d do something like this.. Sand Dune’s effect has decreased Fortune Teller’s attack to only 1000.

Ulfur: Oh, cheer up, Kain! Mantis, destroy his Fortune Teller.

The brown-gray insect flew forward and slashed The Fortune Teller to shreds before buzzing back on top of the sand by Ulfur.

Kain’s Life Points: 3400

Ulfur: Now I get to put the odds in my favor by activating Mantis’s special ability! By destroying a face-up spell or trap I control, I destroy a card you control! Mantis, do it!

Kain: How could I have forgotten! My Caustic Chemistry!

Ulfur laughed a bit as the Mantis spread open a pair of veined wings and began to flutter them quickly, the sand of the dune crashing forward to Kain and destroying his lab, as well as hurting him.

Kain’s Life Points: 2900

Ulfur: Heh. Sand Dune’s other ability inflicts 500 damage to you when it’s destroyed. I set a card and end my turn.

Kain groaned and drew a card from his deck. His hand could easily take out what Ulfur had on the field, but it was Ulfur’s hand that Kain was worried about.

Kain: I activate “Summer Sky”! I draw three cards, or until my hand equals 6. Whichever comes first. Then you draw 2 cards.

A ray of light shot from the sky onto the two players, and the top cards of their decks then were added to their hands.

Kain: Alright, now I activate “Ominous Cloud”! This card forces us both to discard a card at random from out hands.

The rays of light slowly turned into black shadows which pulled away a card from each player’s hand.

Kain: I’m sure hoping I get lucky... I’ve discarded “Magician’s Contract”.

Ulfur: I lost my “Double Soul Bind” card!

Both players placed the cards into their Graveyards. Now it was Kain’s chance to do something. He quickly thought of the best way to use this situation.

Kain: I now activate “Warrior’s Rage”! This card destroys your Mantis, and I get to Special Summon a warrior from my hand. Go, Masked Knight!

Masked Knight’s Attack: 1200

The Knight in a black cloak and a white mask hit the field, and then rushed forward to Ulfur, slashing at him with its rose-whip. The rays of light shot at the whip and slowed it down.

Ulfur’s Life Points: 2800

Ulfur: Urgh! Good thing your card weakens the damage by half for this turn! You done?

Kain: Well, my Masked Knight goes to defense by his own effect first. Then I set a card from my hand and end.

Masked Knight’s Defense: 1600

A tablet with a faint white outline appeared behind the Masked Knight, who now lay on one knee, and Ulfur drew a card from his deck.

Ulfur: I activate my face-down card, “Drought”! By paying 1000 Life Points, I destroy a face-down Spell or Trap cards on the field , and the ATK and DEF of all non-Earth and Wind monsters on the field are decreased by 500!

Kain: Darn you, Ulfur

Ulfur’s Life Points: 1800

Masked Knight’s Defense: 1100

The tablet by Ulfur lifted up, and the ground began to shrivel and crack underneath them. Kain’s tablet crumbled into pieces and was blown away.

Ulfur: Now I summon “Sand Mummy” in attack position! Sand Mummy, attack! Then I’ll end.

Sand Mummy’s Attack: 1800

A man made entirely out of bandages and sand came up from the ground, surrounded in green energy, and slammed right through Kain’s Knight.

Kain’s Life Points: 2200

Ulfur: Oh, I forgot to mention Sand Mummy goes right through your defense after he’s done attacking your monster. Heh.

Kain frowned, but at least his Life Points were higher, whereas they were lower at the beginning of the duel. He drew from his deck and looked at his cards.

Kain: I summon “Warrior Shaman Breaker” in attack position!

Warrior Shaman’s Attack: 1600

A man with dark skin, wearing multiple animals furs all over his body appeared and began to holler loudly.

Kain: While normally I would use his effect, he’s going to be used for an experiment of mine for right now.. I activate “Purple Potion”!

A small bottle with a bubbling purple liquid landed in the hand of the shaman, who quickly drank it. After a few moments, the Shaman’s hands began to spit out fire. The man hollered and jumped around.

Warrior Shaman’s Attack: 1900

Kain: Purple Potion has three different effects that could activate at random.. I’m glad that I got one of the ones I wanted! Now, attack, Shaman!

The shaman with flaming hands rushed forth and slammed a fist in the mummy’s stomach, sending a pulse of fire all around the two and singing both Kain and Ulfur.

Ulfur’s Life Points: 400

Kain’s Life Points: 1700

Kain: Wait a minute, you should have only lost 600 Life Ponts.. 100 from my attack, and 500 by the effect of Purple Potion.

Ulfur: Yeah, but my Sand Mummy has a drawback. When he’s destroyed by battle, I take 800 points of damage. I think I’ll take my turn now.

Kain watched Ulfur carefully, a bit of sweat dropping down from his chin. Ulfur only needed to do 1700 damage to make Kain lose, then he was dead. Kain had used too many cards at once, overextending himself, and he might pay for that. Ulfur drew.

Ulfur: Umm... I activate “Fissure” to destroy your Shaman. Then I’ll set a card and end my turn.

This was the moment of truth. Kain would either lose the duel, or win it. Neither player had any cards in their hand yet, but Ulfur had a face-down card. Kain drew, and looked at the card in his hand. Belgara!

Kain: I’m risking it all now, Ulfur! I’m going to summon one of my Trump Monsters, in hopes to defeat you!

Ulfur: Oh, really? Well, why don’t you try?

Kain: Rrr.. I pay 1500 Life Points to summon... Belgara the Nega Dragon!

Kain’s Life Points: 200

Kain’s white energy fluttered around his body, then all of it burst forward into Kain’s card. Then, suddenly, a massive claw began to emerge from the card, and progressively gave way to a massive, wrinkled, half-purple/half-brown dragon with spikes all down its body.

Belgara the Nega Dragon’s Attack: 3000

Ulfur: You really used him, you fool?

Kain: I had no choice. He called out to me..

Ulfur: Well, I might as well do this now. “Great Thirst”!

The tablet on Ulfur’s field flipped over to reveal a strange carving of a person crawling towards the water. A wind whipped over at Belgara and the dragon began to shrivel.

Ulfur: Belgara’s power is decreased by his own level times 100, and then both players lose just as much life as his attack is decreased!

Kain: But that means..!

Ulfur’s Life Points: 0

Kain’s Life Points: 0

Ulfur: We both lose.

The circle on the ground slowly disappeared, and the crowd of villagers began to cheer wildly. Ulfur slowly walked over to Kain, only a bit phased by his loss of energy, and Kain was suddenly afraid for his life.

Ulfur: Don’t worry, Kain, I’m not going to hurt you. Since it’s a tie, I guess I’m still going to take you to The Pyramid. After all, you were at a disadvantage.

Kain smiled, and then the two of them clasped hands and shook, laughing heartily while the rest of the village stared at them like they were psychos who had just escaped from a dark pit.

AUTHOR’S NOTE: I really rolled a die for the effect that was activated for Purple Potion.

It was confusing, to say the least. Good, yes, but confusing. The good way. It reminded me of the Gunslinger by Stephen King. Just one question, though. During the 1st chapter, where Kain activates Kirim's face-down card with Alchemist's effect, what card was it that Kirim had set? The wording, as I imagined it, would have been something like: "Destroy 1 monster on your opponent's side of the field. You take 1200 damage." But there's no card like that on the list."

Pro's and Cons:

+ Plot

+ Grammar / Spelling

+ Uniqueness

- Confusion

Rating: 3/4.

It's the bolded one. And maybe I should edit the story to say what card it was xP

[spoiler=Chapter 1]KIRIM:

Aslak the Powerful

Earth/Warrior/4/1700/500

When this card destroys an opponent's monster as a result of battle, increase its ATK and DEF by 200.

Unrelenting Bog

Earth/Aqua/4/2000/0

When this card attacks a Defense Position monster, that monster is destroyed automatically without applying Battle Damage. After each time this card attacks, decrease your Life Points by 1000.

Anubis Hammer

Normal Spell Card

Select 1 monster. The selected monster's ATK becomes 0 until the End Phase of the turn this card is activated.

Pass of Haley

Normal Trap Card

Destroy 1 monster on your side of the field. Inflict 1200 damage to your opponent's Life Points.

Soul Crush

Normal Trap Card

Activate only while there are 2 or more cards on the field. Change the Battle Positon of all monsters on your opponent's side of the field to face-up Defense Position.

KAIN:

The Architect

Light/Warrior/4/1400/1000

When this card is Normal Summoned, you may activate a face-down Spell or Trap Card on your opponent's side of the field.

Unsettled Alchemist

Light/Spellcaster/3/900/1500

Destroy all monsters on your side of the field. Then, Special Summon a monster from your Deck with an ATK equal to or up to 500 less ATK than the combined ATK of the monsters you destroyed with this effect.

Bribe of Defiance

Normal Spell Card

Gain control of a face-up monster on your opponent's side of the field. This monster cannot be tributed, or declare an attack. During each of your End Phases while that monster is face-up on your side of the field, you lose 1000 Life Points.

Earthrealm Temple

Normal Trap Card

Select and activate 1 of the following effects:

- Activate only when a face-up “The Arcitect” is face-up on your side of the field is targeted by a card effect. Negate that card effect, and change the Battle Position of “The Architect”, then increase that monster’s ATK and DEF by 500.

- ((Effect Unknown))

But shouldn't it work the other way around' date=' now that Kain activates it? Kirim taking the damage rather than Kain, and Alchemist's going to the eternal laboratory in the sky?

[/quote']

No, it works out like Bait Doll. It forces the activation of a card. I should probably change that @.@

Ok. Confusion solved.

Hmm...

Interesting. It's hard to really comment, as all of the fan-fic so far is centered on two battles, but the characters look like they will develop well, and the spelling and grammar is excellent. The battle choreography was also nicely thought out.

I'll settle on a 7.5/10, I think, possibly 8/10.

EDIT: Actually, no. After reading it again, it's definitely an 8.5/10. My first rating was a little harsh.

Just a quick point:

Everyone in this section seems to have an obsession about having at least one duel for every single chapter. I don't know whether it is just me on this, but sometimes, just try and have a chapter just for character development, or plot twists, that doesn't include battles. It makes stories flow a lot better.

[align=center]CHAPTER III - PART I and II

"Women, Children, and Animals"[/align]

The wind whipped across the plains, rustling bushes, scattering dirt and leaves all across the ground, and deterring Kain from his next destination. His boots dug deep into the tough soil beneath, and he covered his face with his dirty cloak, guarding his face and eyes from the wind’s icy sting. Behind him was Ulfur, the nearly giant-sized man in green and blue who had directed him thus far.

Ulfur: Just keep going, Kain! It’s not much farther to Pem now!

Once they reached Pem they would restock on supplies and find a place to sleep. After that, the next destination would be the hometown of one of Kain’s rivals, Legion, then after a few more stops, he would eventually find his way to The Pyramid.

Kain: Alright, alright. So, anyway.. Do you remember exactly what The Pyramid was supposed to do? I know it’s the source of all of the energy we have for dueling, but besides that.

Ulfur stayed silent for a moment, pushing Kain on through bushed and over a small hill, wanting to keep an even pace until they reached Pem.

Ulfur: Well, I can only tell you as much as I’ve been told by The Council.. It is said that The Pyramid of Ega holds a lot a vast and powerful energy inside of it, some of which being good, some of it bad, and is said to old in this power until the day that it is really needed. As I’ve been told, whoever unlocks the full power of The Pyramid might just have enough power to make their creations during the duels... Forever real.

Kain thought about this for a while. It didn’t sound like that big of a deal. After all, duelists created half-real manifestations of the cards each time they battled. Then again, this was only possible during the time why two energies clashed, and what was summoned could only reach to a certain point away from the controller before they disappeared. Kain’s face seemed concentrated on his thoughts.

Ulfur: Here we are, Kain.

The two stepped off of the rugged dirt of the plains, and onto the clean and neat cobblestones of the city. Before them now lay the city of Pem, a city which has existed longer than many others and therefore has developed more in all manners. The people in these streets were not dirty and poor, but instead nicely dressed and with happy grins on their faces as they popped in under different tents and into different marketplaces.

Kain: Alright. Now that we’re here, how about we split up and look for our supplies individually? I don’t need a giant walking behind me and scaring away all the mongers!

Kain and Ulfur laughed together and then went off in opposite directions through the town. Kain had never been to a city like this before, and examined the large and well-crafted stone buildings on either side. If it not for the laughs of other people in front of him, he probably would have stared until somebody ran into him. When he finally snapped out of his stupor, he went over to a table and began to look at the fruits which were for sale.

Kain: How much for the green one with hair?

Fruit Monger: That one is 4 copper pieces, sir. Two for 6, as well.

Kain: Hmm.. I think I’ll take 3 of them. How long do they last?

Kain began to rummage through a leather sack strapped inside of his coat, directly behind his deck of cards. The salesman’s eyes opened wide, and he suddenly stood up.

Fruit Monger: A duelist! Oh, me, you really must help!

Kain looked suspiciously at the man and blinked a few times. The man’s accent was a bit strong, and his vernacular pretty new to Kain, who was only taught a few ways of speech by his father.

Kain: What do you mean? Is somebody bothering you?

Fruit Monger: Oh, yes! There is a woman who continually shakes me down for the special fruits I get once a month, and the authorities are too afraid to do anything about it!

Kain: Really now... Well, I guess I could fight this person for you, if you give me some of these hairy fruit as payment.

Fruit Monger: Yes, yes! You can have as many as you like! Just please help!

Kain smiled at the dark-tanned man and then adjusted his cloak momentarily, putting down its hood so the man could see him better, and so he could show his respect to the now ‘client’ of his.

Kain: Just lead me to her, and I can do the rest.

The man took Kain’s sleeve in his hand and the two rushed across town in a hurry, the man’s sandaled feet pitter-pattering on the cobblestones, while Kain’s boots clunked heavily down. Not long after they had began rushing, they had stopped. Now they were in a darker part of town, where there was plenty more shade than seemed necessary. Many awnings were put up on roofs, and there were actually some trees growing out of the stone ground.

Fruit Monger: I shall take you no longer.. The woman is very tall, and with red hair. If you just take a left in, you should find her. Thank you so much, sir!

And with that, the salesman dashed away from the shadowy corner of the sullen gray city. Kain stood by himself for a while, and then turned and headed down the dark alley as he was told. When he reached the corner, he turned with it, and kept on going silently. It didn’t take long before he was able to see the red-haired which he was told about. Kain grinned to himself and raised a hand into the air.

Kain: Hello there, Miss! Might I be able to talk to you for a moment?

The woman, in a pure black robe with a white belt around her waist, stared at Kain for a while before backing away slowly. Kain watched the girl and almost burst out laughing. She seemed to think he was just completely crazy.

Kain: I heard that you were bothering some of the people in the city. It’s a fine place, and I don’t want trash to be drifting around in its streets.. If you catch my drift.

????: Maybe I do... I am Kolpus. Who might you be, stranger?

Kain: I’m just Kain. So, why exactly have you been stealing fruit from a fruit stand, and not stealing something of more value, like gold?

Kolpus: Well, Kain, seeing as you’ll be dead in a few moments anyway, I might as well tell you what I’ve been up to.

The woman quickly produced a deck of cards from a pocket in her robe, and a light pink energy exploded from all around her, drifting slowly into the air. Kain grinned, and could feel the deck on his chest beating wildly, wanting to be released.

Kolpus: Normally, a person can only gain the power to activate cards, and see the energy of other duelists by being born into a family of descendants or guardians of The Pyramid. However, I have figured out a way to mimic the power it gives off by using that special fruit! What do you think about that?!

Kain watched the flow and mass of the woman’s energy and nodded every now and then, calculating the power that was within Kolpus.

Kain: I would definitely say that this isn’t the ordinary power from The Pyramid. However, it’s an imperfect imposter, and much weaker than the true thing.

Kolpus: I have much stronger capabilities that most duelists! With it, I am able to summon forth more real creations than anyone else, and with it shall take away the power of The Pyramid. What would you know about my strength, or anything else about me? Unless...!

Kain quickly pulled open his cloak and pulled from within his shirt his trusty deck, which seemed to be set aflame with his power and virtue. Kolpus suddenly began to growl. It wasn’t often you would find a duelist, and Kolpus had just made the mistake of divulging her plot to a random stranger, and one who was on his way to The Pyramid, nonetheless.

Kain: Let’s see which power is stronger!

Kain and Kolpus shoved their decks out in front of themselves, and their energies began to mix in the air slowly, and sizzle. Then there was a heavy rumble and a shifting of plates below them. The buildings all moved aside as a white circle appeared around them, and their energies struck up into the sky. Kolpus’ pink energy slashed at Kain’s, causing it to recede slightly.

Kolpus: Looks like I’ll be going first!

Kolpus’s Life Points: 4000

Kolpus pulled out six cards from her deck, and Kain drew his own five. As they looked over their hands, rustling could be heard on the inside of the city, and lots of people were shouting to their friends.

Kolpus: I’ll start by activating a special card of mine, “Fertile Meadow”!

The ground around them began to slowly transform into dense soil and grass, rasing them somewhat above the city street. The grass felt real under Kain’s feet and he pondered for a moment about Kolpus’ inner strength.

Kolpus: Now I set two cards face-down and end my turn!

Two large tablets appeared in front of Kolpus, and Kain picked up the top card of his deck, thinking over a strategy. One finally popped into his head.

Kain: I activate “Dimension Cyclone”, and look through my deck, then activate a Spell Card from it.. And I choose “Duo Brigade”!

Kolpus: What does that do?

Kain: You’ll find out! I now summon “Omega Magician”!

Omega Magician’s Attack: 900

A pin-striped man in baggy pants appeared on the field, wielding a large staff with a jewel at the end of it. Suddenly, the staff began to glow brightly and a energy shot from a card in Kain’s hand onto the field, projecting a warrior with scars all over his body holding a long knife.

Kain: Thanks to the ability of “Duo Brigade”, I can summon an additional warrior or spellcaster from my hand if I summon one of those, and I chose to summon “Zealot Soldier”. Now, Omega Magician, attack!

The striped mage lowered his staff and charged a dark energy ball, firing it directly at Kolpus. However, Kolpus flipped over the tablet in front of her first. The blast was suddenly absorbed into the ground and sprouted out a bush in the shape of the magician.

Kolpus: “Extreme Overgrowth”! This negates your first attack, and I Special Summon an “Overgrown Token” with defensive strength equal to the negated monster’s attack power!

Overgrown Token’s Defense: 900

Kain: I guess I’ll attack your token, then set a card and end my turn.

The soldier leapt forward and tore through the bush with its knife before leaping back over to Kain and crouching down low. A tablet appeared by Kain, and Kolpus then drew a card.

Kolpus: I activate the effect of Fertile Meadow, and pay part of my life to summon forth a plant from my deck! Come to life, “Sunflower Dragon”!

Kolpus’ Life Points: 3000

Some of the pink energy coming off of Kolpus was sucked into the soil, and a large mound grew up, becoming larger and larger until a dragon-like creature burst out from inside of it. Its head was yellow, its snout brown, and the rest of its body pale green.

Sunflower Dragon’s Attack: 2000

Kolpus: Hehehe.. Now the secondary effect of my field spell card activates, increasing my dragon’s attack power! On top of that, I activate his special ability! By discarding a card from my hand, I can destroy 1 of your monsters! Sunflower Dragon, ‘Solar Flare’!

Sunflower Dragon’s Attack: 2100

One of the cards in Kolpus’ hand glowed white and suddenly evaporated, being absorbed into the mouth of the dragon, who spat it out as a long stream of energy directly into the scarred soldier. He was instantly destroyed.

Kain: Wow! That dragon’s something!

Koplus: Just wait until you feel his talons! Now, attack, Sunflower Dragon!

The dragon soared in the direction of Kain and slashed straight through the magician and Kain’s body his body. Kain grunted slightly and nearly fell to his knees. That felt almost completely real! Even more real than the other times he’s been hit!

Kain: Time for my payback! I activate my face-down card, “Reparation”! You must now either discard a card from your hand, and I gain 500 life, or you let me draw a card, and you lose 500 life!

Kolpus: I guess I’ll discard a card, then.

Kolpus’ Life Points: 3000

Kain’s Life Points: 3300

Kolpus sent a card from her hand to the graveyard, leaving her with only one in her hand, and Kain drew for the start of his turn.

Kain: Now I’ve got something cooking! I’ll activate “Melding Alchemy”! This card allows me to discard a spell card from my hand to either add a monster back from my grave to my hand, or discard a level 4 or higher monster to destroy a monster you control. I have none of those monsters, so I’ll just discard a spell, and..

A cauldron appeared in the center of the meadow, and began to boil as Kain tossed in one of his cards. Then, the magician from before came out and transformed itself into a card.

Kain: Now that activates Omega Magician’s effect! I return the spell I used to bring him back, then I summon forth “Virtue Paladin”!

From the sky fell a warrior clan in pure white armor, holding two lances, one in each of his hands. His face was shielded with a visor, hiding his smile.

Virtue Paladin’s Attack: 1000

Kain: Now I activate a special spell of my own, “Blue Dragon Blast”! This card automatically destroys the monster on your field with the highest level, and you only have one! Then I attack directly!

The knight began to charge a green power in his spears, and then lunged forward with extreme speed, tearing through the Sunflower Dragon and ramming directly into Kolpus.

Kolpus’ Life Points: 2000

Kain’s Life Points: 3300

Kolpus: Aaahh! I activate my own trap card! “Poison Thornbush”! This card allows me to pay 1000 of my life to summon an Insect from my deck! However, I can’t Normal Summon or Special Summon during my next turn!

The last tablet on Kolpus’ field flipped over, and a large thorn bush with red-tipped spikes began to sprout from the ground. Some of Kolpus’ energy was pulled inside, and a massive beetle reared its head from inside the bush. It seemed to screech, then click, and finally burst from the bush with outspread wings. It was easily as tall as a building, was very hairy, and bright shades of yellow and orange.

Chimera Vespa’s Attack: 2500

Kain: You just keep amazing me.. I end my turn.

The white knight looked up at the massive beast with unbelieving eyes. Kolpus drew a card from her deck and looked over her hand.

Kolpus: Now witness the ability of my Chimera! I equip my Sunflower Dragon to her, and give her the abilities and new strength!

The flower dragon suddenly sprouted from the ground and became absorbed into the giant bug’s body, slowly merging to become one. The chimera’s body changed slightly green, and gained large, sharp teeth.

Chimera Vespa’s Attack: 2800

Kolpus: Vespa, Solar Blast!

The giant bug raised it wings, but suddenly stopped what it was doing entirely. Kolpus looked up at the creature, suddenly worried. The creature now began to slowly turn towards Kolpus, its multiple eyes peering down at her. Kain gasped and began to back off from the scene, retracting his energy from around him and placing it back into his deck. Kolpus’ monster was going again her! Kain quickly forced his deck back into his pocket, and everything began to shift back into place. Kolpus was too busy screaming to keep the duel in motion, so Kain fled the scene, feeling a bit guilty for her.

Many moments later Kain met up with Ulfur, panting, and was asked what had happened. Kain simply stared at the cobblestones for a while, and shook his head before standing up and looking at the sky.

Kain: I was afraid, Ulfur.. Of the game.. I think I need a better deck..

Archived