[New Fan Fic] ---Kain's Travels (Chapter 6 is up!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[align=center]CHAPTER VI - PART I

"Where Bonds Truly Lie"[/align]

After the near-loss on Kain’s part to Kolpus, a woman who artificially created her ability to duel and had her monster eventually turn on her, Kain and Ulfur set a new course on their expedition which would take them to a city flocking with card holders and shops which would provide them with what they needed. Kain’s deck definitely needed more support for its theme.

First they came through a large forest filled with massive, dark green coniferous trees that wound in circles. They had occasionally became lost and had to go back and check their barrings . Then at one time they even found themselves staring down a snarling grizzly bear. However, Kain had produced a shining blue sword from his back and sliced the fur from the belly of the bear, frightening it away.

Ulfur: Ah! So there’s that sword I’ve been hearing all about! The Great Blue Blade.. Otherwise known as Hualwren.

Kain: I didn’t think I’d have to use it, but there was no other way I could let that bear live.

Ulfur: Oh, come on! You can’t tell me you really care about wildlife.

Kain: Why not? I haven’t been hurt by many animals as of yet, and there’s no reason I should hurt them. Humans and demons are another thing..

Kain brought his sword back again and slowly slid it down the back of his cloak, securing it once again. Ulfur simply smiled and made a mental note, storing it for a time when it might need to be used later on.

They pressed on again through the forest, following the crooked dirt trail until they finally found an opening amongst the trees. Ulfur rushed ahead to check it out and grunted as he found a dead end. Just a few feet from the clearing was an invisible cliff which lead straight into a river hundreds of feet below. If it were not for there being jagged rocks, they could have made the just.

Ulfur: Crap. All this way and a dead end? Looks like we’ll have to hike back and spend the night at the city again.

Ulfur pulled open his pack and took out a map, looking at it intently. There was no reason this ledge to be here. Though the map was outdated, Ulfur knew it to be true for his entire life, and he’d just came to this spot a few years ago. What could have created this...? As Ulfur pondered and looked around on the map for a new route, Kain got an idea and picked up a stone from the ground.

Kain: I wonder what would happen if I did this...

Kain reared back and threw his fist forward at full speed, launching the rock at the cliff. To his surprise, the rock bounced in mid air and skid across the cliff onto the other side of the forest.

Kain: Bingo! Ulfur, this is just an illusion. The cliff’s still here!

Ulfur looked up from his map and stared at Kain for a bit. Obviously he thought he was crazy for a while, but then things began to add up for him and he began to fold his map up again.

Ulfur: Well, that’s good news. And to think I was just setting up a new route.

Kain: Yeah.. But who would put an illusion like this here, and why?

Ulfur: There’s only two reasons I could think of for that. Someone was just playing a joke, or somebody knows what we’re here for.

Kain: I highly doubt this was a joke. It takes a lot of energy to hold an illusion like this in place, and no prankster I have met would take the time and effort for something like this.

Ulfur: I dunno...

They both shrugged and decided it was going to be bad for their health to worry over it. Kain went first to test the cliff again, stepping into the air with one of his feet and balancing his weight upon it for a while before bringing his other foot forward and walking upon it. Ulfur stepped on afterward, a bit more assured as Kain hadn’t slipped and plunged to his death yet. Both shimmied slowly over the cliff, only looking ahead and trying not to think about the illusion below them. However, they stumbled over a few rocks for this and nearly fell flat on their stomachs. Once they were over, they let out a sigh of relief and looked back to the other side of the forest, but it was gone and only a prairie could be seen behind them..

Ulfur: Okay, I’m confused. We were just..!

Kain: Forget about it. Somebody is definitely messing with us now.

Ulfur: I’ll have to report this to The Council next time I get the chance. But, the city’s just a bit away from us now. Kain, got any of those fruits?

Kain: Oh, sure. Here you go.

Kain took out one of the fuzzy fruit he had gotten from the fruit monger in the other city and passed it over to Ulfur.

Chapter VI - Part II

Ulfur bit into the hairy fruit and some of its juices spilled out onto the dirt. A rancid, horrible smell then filled the air, and Ulfur’s mouth felt as if it were filled with dead rats. He held back his vomit long enough to spit out the fruit.

Ulfur: Disgusting!

Kain: Really? I guess I should have tried it before buying it huh?

Kain laughed some at Ulfur’s expense and waved for the half-giant to pass the fruit to him, which he did. As they continued to walk, Kain examined and sniffed the fruit, checking for any mold that may be present. Nothing. Kain rubbed his chin for a bit before swallowing his pride and biting into the fruit. The nectar deep inside waterfalled into his mouth, and Kain was forced to stop instantly. Ulfur watched him with a bit of amusement, and a bit of concern.

Ulfur: Uhh.. You okay, Kain?

Kain said nothing for quite some time, bringing more concern to Ulfur. The large man began to shake Kain’s shoulder, and shouting his name. Finally, Kain snapped back, his pupils fully dilated.

Kain: That was..... .AMAZING!

Ulfur: What?! That fruit was the most disgusting thing in the world! Are you pulling my chain?

Kain: No, I’m not. Maybe you’ve just lost all of your good tastebuds after all those years of eating dry desert foods?

Ulfur: Oh, come on. That hurts.

Kain tossed over the fruit in his hand, examining his own bite and comparing it to Ulfur’s. They were practically the same, and the color of the fruit was the same in both bites.

Kain: There must be something special about this.

Ulfur: If you say so... Freak.

Kain glared over at Ulfur, and they were finally at the city gate. Like Pem, this city seemed to be made mostly of stone, as could be observed through the large, white and brown flag-covered arches ahead of them. And much like the other city, this one also had many well dressed citizens and plenty of market stalls. They quickly made their way inside, and began searching together for someone selling cards.

???: Looking for some powerful mages? Look no further! Come and get your Spellcaster monster cards here!

Kain: Hey, Ulfur, I need some of those! Let’s go see what that man’s got.

Kain and Ulfur rushed to the shouting man and quickly asked to see what he had in stock. The man smiled and led them to the nearby building, closing the door tightly behind them before pulling away a curtain, revealing a large glass case filled with cards.

Kain: Whoa! That’s a lot of cards... Where did you get them from?

???: Well, being famous gets you places. Some of them are gifts from wealthy kings who discovered them and found no use, thus handing them to myself.

Kain: Famous? Who are you?

???: Oh, I’m Zacharael.

Kain’s mind pulsed as he heard the name. Somebody had told him something about someone named Zacharael a long time ago, but it was long enough ago for him to forget what they had said.

Kain: I think I remember you from somewhere now. Anyway, how much do you sell your cards for, I really need some new ones.

Zacharael: For you, traveler, I shall sell them at the discount price of 10 of these ones for a Gold Piece, and each from my private collection at the cost of 1 Piece each. I cannot go any lower.

Kain: Wow, that’s a little expensive. I guess I’ll just look around.

Ulfur eyed Zacharael closely as Kain read the cards inside the casings. A strange energy was emanating from him, and his smug face despite the ragged clothing he wore made Ulfur even more suspicious.

Kain: Wow, there’s a lot of mage cards here with an ability to bring back and use my spells. I think I should make a deck based upon spells, which also uses both Warriors and Spellcasters. That way my deck is sort of like me.

Ulfur: Sounds good to me. But be sure you don’t make a too general strategy when you’re building, or you’ll end up skewing from your purpose.

Kain: Yeah, I know...

After a while of searching, Kain knew what he wanted. He got the attention of Zacharael and named of each card that he required, and a few that he just liked and would keep his purchase at an even ten. Zacharael grinned smugly and gathered together the cards, handing them to Kain. Just as the two were about to leave, they were stopped.

Zacharael: Wait! Wouldn’t you like to see my.. Private stock first? I have a card you just might be interested in.

Ulfur: I guess it couldn’t hurt us to look. But Kain, you better not try to buy everything.

Kain made a funny face at Ulfur, and they both walked to the portal at the back of the shop, entering into the ‘private area’ where only employees were usually allowed. There was an altar at the back with a set of cards, and Kain was instantly drawn to it, glaring down at the cards and reading them.

Kain: “Albdruck of the Forgotten Magic”... Wow, his effect sure is something. I’m not so sure if I could use it well, though.

Zacharael: Oh, but you don’t need to. His effect is pretty much always going to be useful to you. Besides, I heard that weilding Albdruck brings luck to people!

Kain: Hmm.. Okay, I’ll take it. But I’ve really got to go now.

Zacharael: Good, very good!

Kain handed over a single gold piece to Zacharael, and scooped up the card, gently nestling it amongst the cards in his deck before strolling out and back into the street. Zacharael stood in his shop smiling for some time, and then the smile slowly turned to a wicked grin, and an evil glint appeared in his eyes.

Zacharael: Now it’s only a matter of time, Kain. Soon we’ll meet again, and you WILL be turned!

[align=center]Chapter V - Parts I and II

"Born From the Ashes"[/align]

The two duelists were out into town again and looking for more cards. This time, Kain needed some warriors for his deck, and maybe a few good spells. In this town, things didn’t seem to be looked for long before they were found, as Ulfur noticed a large sign advertizing for warriors not too far from where they were standing. They both grinned to each other and began to slither through the crowd towards the building with the sign, expecting to see some cards. However, when they got to the door their perspective on it was completely changed. They could hear two men arguing inside about the winner of a combat session. There was also a boxing poster on the door.

Gene: Hey, I beat that Legion guy fair and square! His face was all bloodied up!

Frankie: That was your blood, you idiot! You never even touched him.

What was it about Kain hearing about people he knew in this town? The name Legion was a very familiar one to him, as his best friend and rival had the very same name. Kain determined that it was probably a different guy, but he would go in and investigate anyway.

Kain: This isn’t really what we were looking for, but I think one of those guys said “Legion”. Maybe they know where he’s at.

Ulfur: Legion? Why do you want to meet up with that troublemaker? He’ll just mess up with our quest if he joins us, Kain. Besides, he’s not pure at heart, and you know that only those pure of heart are said to be able to cleanse The Pyramid!

Kain: Maybe so, but he’s very strong. He’ll be a great asset to us.

Kain shoved open the heavy wooden door to the building, seeing a bunch of guys standing around with their fists clenched, yelling at others. A fight was surely about to break out between them all, so Kain had to make it quick and simple for them.

Kain: Did one of you say Legion?

One of the brawny men turned and looked Kain up and down, surely examining if he had any weapons, and finding his reach. The ogre then spat upon the ground before speaking.

Frankie: Yeah, we said Legion. Who wants to know?

Kain: I do, and my name is Kain. Might you be able to give me a description of this Legion guy?

Frankie: Sure I could. He’s about as tall as you, has all black hair, pale skin, and wears a gray overcoat. Under that he’s got a muscle shirt like Dave’s over there.. What you want with him?

Kain: Do you have any idea where I could find him?

Frankie: Why would I know something like that, you idiot?

Kain stood still for a few moments, and then looked around the room at the others who were there. They all seemed to be hiding something from him. Suddenly, a man sitting behind the counter began to speak.

Sam: I know where he is.

Frankie: Sam, you fool! Don’t tell this guy anything!

Sam: Shut up, Frankie. Or I’ll turn your face into powder.

The bulky man instantly shut his mouth. Kain turned to look behind the counter, and at that time a slender figure rose up, covered in a white jacket. Whoever it was, they seemed to be pretty tough despite their figure. They must know a very great fighting style, or use a very strong type of weapon.

Kain: So, you think you could tell me?

Everybody was silent for some time, and Kain stared at the back of the head of the man in the white jacket. Then, the man began to laugh quietly to himself, lifting his head and stretching out all of his muscles. Kain believed this surely was a strange man, standing there, and then laughing for no reason. He was about to say something, but there was no time. The white jacket dropped from the man’s back and fell upon the floor, revealing nothing. The man was gone! Kain looked swiftly to the right, and then above himself, but noone was to be found. Then, suddenly, a kick came up towards Kain’s face, and he was barely able to bring his arm up to block in time.

Sam: Nice block, Kain!

Kain was sent many feet backwards and spun momentarily through the air before landing wit his feet upon a wooden table and breaking it into splinters. Kain’s eyes were fixed fully upon Sam’s body for some time, and then they averted to his arm. Kain pulled back the sleeve and saw a small red mark, with some lines around it. He had been struck with something very solid.

Kain: Metal, huh? You coat yourself in it like an armor. But obviously it was not an armor, as you move quite swiftly. And it can’t be that heavy, either.

Sam: You already found out my secret? I have applied metal to my limbs and chest to help protect myself and make my attacks much stronger. It took these bozos at least two weeks to tell that.

Kain: I’m a lot older than you might think. I’ve had years upon years to examine how things work, and even more to train myself physically. Anyway, if you’re going to be using some metal, I think I’ll use metal of my own.

Kain grinned at Sam and grabbed the hilt of his sword from his back, swiftly sliding it from its sheathe and presenting it horizontally in front of himself. Its slider blue blade seemed to blink with a small white light. Sam looked at the blade for some time before narrowing his eyes and examining Kain’s body more closely. He could make out a faint white outline. Now he could tell that Kain was a duelist! Seeing the sword, Sam knew he would have a very small chance of winning the fight, but instead he would go for something he thought was a sure thing. A duel.

Sam: I have a deal for you, Kain, that I think you’re going to enjoy. How about I duel you, and if you win, I tell you where Legion is. But if I win, then you give me your deck and leave this town forever, hmmm?

Ulfur looked over an Kain, a bit worried, and moved closer to him to speak into his ear. He whispered to him that he didn’t feel this was a good idea, especially since they didn’t even need Legion with them, but Kain blatantly ignored him.

Kain: Alright, I accept your challenge.

Sam reached into his jacket and produced a deck of cards, and Kain reached into his cloak and pulled his deck from his pouch. Suddenly, the building began to rumble, and people were thrown against the wall as a circle of light began to surround the two duelists.

A strange metalic energy blew around Sam as he drew the top 6 cards of his deck. Both duelists readied themselves, and the game was started.

Kain's Life Points: 4000

Sam's Life Points: 4000

Sam: I’ll start off by setting a monster face-down, and then placing two spell or traps down! Turn end!

A card appeared face-down in front of Sam, and a tablet appeared at either of his sides. Kain thought over the situation a while before drawing a card.

Sam: I activate my Trap Card, “Phoenix Capsule 3"! This card lets my Special Summon a Level 3 or lower Phoenix from my deck! Come forth, “Neo-Phoenix Yellow”!

One of the tablets next to Sam lifted up, and drawn upon it was a strange ship with a phoenix emblem upon it. The ship glowed bring red and suddenly fired out a small, egg-shaped pod onto the field. The ground smoked for some time, and then from the capsule came a yellow-striped phoenix made of pure steel.

Neo-Phoenix Yellow’s DEF: 1500

Kain: That looks slightly troublesome.

Sam: You don’t even know the half of it. My Neo-Phoenix Yellow’s effect activates when it’s Special Summoned, giving him 500 extra attack and defensive power!

Phoenix Yellow’s ATK/DEF: 1600/2000

Kain: Wow, I see what you mean! I guess I’ll just have to work around it. I summon one of my new cards, “Spell Swordsman - Teal”!

Swordsman Teal’s ATK: 1500

A tall warrior in emerald armor appeared in front of Kain, wielding a blue sword inscribed with a magic spell.

Kain: Then I’ll attack your face-down monster!

Sam: Hehe.. Probably shouldn’t have.

Kain: I thought you would say something like that, but I summoned Teal for a reason. When he attacks I can send a Spell Card from my deck to the Graveyard to increase this power by 300!

Swordsman Teal’s ATK: 1800

Kain quickly searched through his deck and dumped one of his spells into the grave. This caused Teal’s sword to begin to shimmer brightly, and the swordsman sliced his blade through the face-down card. The image of a blue phoenix shimmered faintly afterward.

Sam: Darn it! My Neo-Phoenix Blue!

Kain: Now I place 1 card face down on the field and end my turn.

A tablet now hovered inches from the ground behind the Spell Swordsman Teal that Kain had summoned. Sam looked over the field and cringed as he remembered his own card’s effect.

Kain’s Life Points: 4000

Sam’s Life Points: 3400

Sam: Because of Phoenix Capsule, I lose 600 Life Points during each of my Standby Phases.. But it’s not going to be on the field much longer now. I bring out “Neo-Phoenix Black”!

Phoenix Black’s ATK: 1800

Kain: Your monster is cute and all, Sam, but I will have to activate my Quick-Play Spell, “Heart Talisman”! This card lets my pay part of my life equal to the Level of your monster times 200 to send it to the grave!

Kain’s Life Points: 3200

Sam’s Life Points: 3400

Sam: Crafty... I’ll set down another card and end my turn.

A black phoenix swarmed into the field, but Kain’s tablet filled over and a kanji seal revealed upon its face, suddenly forcing the metal bird into the ground. A new tablet was then placed by Sam and Kain drew from his deck.

Kain: I activate the Spell Card “Heavy Storm” to destroy all spell and trap cards on the field!

Sam: Not before I activate my trap, “Burning Transcendence”, and my other card, “Metal Slug”! Slug activates first and I send the top card of my deck to the Graveyard. If it was a Machine-Type monster, you lose 600 Life Points! Then I draw 2 cards by tributing my Phoenix by the effect of my other card!

A vicious whirlwind tore across the field, and just seconds before impact upon Sam’s cards, the face-down tablets on his field rose up. The top card of Sam’s deck was thrown grave. As it was a machine, Metal Slug’s effect activated and a cannonball hurtled straight through Kain’s body. Sam then drew 2 cards.

Kain: At least I got rid of your pesky monster. I set a monster face-down and attack directly with Teal!

Kain’s Life Points: 2600

Sam’s Life Points: 1600

The warrior struck his sword across Sam’s chest, and Sam stumbled back a bit, surprised. Kain then set down one more card and ended his turn. Sam drew another card and a grin slowly came across his face..

Sam: I activate the Spell Card, “Grand Rebirth”! This card lets me send ten random cards from my deck to the Graveyard, then select two Phoenix monsters and Special Summon them! Rebuild, my mighty Black and Red phoenixes!

A large metallic sphere came up from the ground, knobs turning, and lights blinking all around it, and it began to slowly open up. Steam came from within it, blotting out the view of the field for some time. Everything remained still for a few moments, but once the smoke had cleared from the field, a black and red phoenix were flapping their wings in the air.

Black Phoenix’s Attack: 1800

Red Phoenix’s Attack: 1600

Sam: Thanks to the effect of my Black Phoenix, I now also get to destroy a face-down card on the field at the cost of 500 of my Life Points! Say goodbye to your Spell or Trap!

Kain’s Life Points: 2600

Sam’s Life Points: 1100

A black shadow appeared below Kain’s tablet, and the stone was suddenly shattered into pieces. Kain had a slightly concerned look on his face as he waited for his opponent’s next move.

Sam: So you see what’s going to happen now, don’t you? I summon yet another phoenix, “Crystalline Phoenix”!

Plaid Phoenix’s ATK: 2300

The moisture in the air began to accumulate in a ball in front of Sam, bubbling ever so lightly before morphing itself into the form of a graceful bird.

Sam: Crystalline Phoenix, attack his Teal! Neo-Phoenix Black, attack his face-down, and Red attack his Life Points directly!

The delicate-looking clear bird dove straight through the body of Kain’s warrior, toppling it, and slashed at Kain’s chest. Then the black bird tore apart Kain’s face-down monster, and the red phoenix flew in front of Kain and fired and blast of heat directly towards him.

Kain’s Life Points: 1000

Sam’s Life Points: 1100

Kain: Ouch! That kinda hurt... You done yet, kid?

Sam: Ha! I wont even bother putting a card face-down for you. You’re doomed. I’m done.

Kain picked up the top card of his deck, but he already knew the move he was going to make based on the card he sent to the Graveyard for Teal’s effect.

Kain: Thanks to your recklessness, I now have this game in the bag.

Sam: What?! What do you mean?

Kain: The monster you destroyed that was face-down lets me remove him and a spell from play to Special Summon one of his friends. Remove, “Requiem Trickster” and “Heart Talisman”! Come forth, “Mage Breaker”!

Mage Breaker’s ATK: 800

Sam (laughing): What the..? It only has 800 attack! You except to beat me with that thing?

Kain: Just wait a little bit, kid. I’m not done yet. I now summon “Guilded Knight”!

Guilded Knight’s ATK: 1800

Sam: I still don’t see how you except to beat me with that card.

Kain: I’m not done yet! Now I activate Mage Breaker’s ability, allowing him to remove from play a Spell Card in my grave with no cost to activate it as if it were his own effect! I choose “Old Silken Hat”!

Sam: Old Silken Hat? Where did that come from?

Kain: That was the card I chose to send to the graveyard for Teal’s effect. You probably should have been paying more attention.

Sam: Whatever. What does it do?

Kain: Well, first off, its normal effect is activated by Mage Breaker to increase the ATK and DEF of a face-up monster on my field by 300. But now that it’s removed from play, its true effect activates!

Guilded Knight’s ATK: 2100

A small warrior in red danced around on the field and lifted his scepter into the air, calling forth a small black hat which plopped on top of his own head. Then another hat plopped on Crystalline Phoenix’s head. Suddenly, the two monsters became magnetized and switched places on the field.

Sam: Oh no...

Kain: Oh yes! Attack, Guilded Knight! Destroy my Mage Breaker!

Kain’s golden-clad knight grinned and lowered his body for a moment before dashing forward at full speed and stabbing his blade through the stomach of the small red mage.

Kain’s Life Points: 1000

Sam’s Life Points: 0

Sam fell to the ground, speechless and clutching his head. The card he was going to set would have stopped the attack and won the game, but he had gotten too full of himself and let victory slip straight through his hands.

Kain: I hope that teaches you a few things, kid. First of all, don’t challenge a stranger to a duel when there’s a prize involved. Second, never ease down on the pressure in a duel. Always fight as if you didn’t have a winning field. Now, tell me what you know.

Sam: Alright, alright... Legion is said to be at Dragonsmouth Mountain, a bit west from here. What are you going to do to him?

Kain: Just meet him.

With that being said, the circle of light around the two duelists dispersed, and Kain placed his deck back into the pouch inside his pocket. He knew that Sam was a great duelist, but he was too cocky to win all of the time. Hopefully he would change. Maybe he wouldn’t. Either way, that duel got Kain ready to meet up with his friend and see how well he’s developed.

Character (I have the character, but only a general idea for the deck.):

Name: Torryn

Alignment (good, evil, neutral): Chaotic Good

Energy Color: Dark Blue

Location (West, East, different dimension, etc): Zenith

Deck/Deck Type (send a list if you can): Natural Catastrophe (I'll let you make the cards, this is just a "guide word".)

Trump Card: ??? (once again, I'll let you make it.)

I'll see if I can PM you the card list; if not, feel free to use my basic idea. Excellent fan fic, by the way. 9/10

• 3 months later...

Name Joe polulo

Age 12

male

neutrul

energy color blue

location ???

Pokemon monsters (you know what im talking about.)

Short bio

once one of zacharels secret assisans. He was un beatable.

He fiqured out what side he had to join and helps out when he wants to.

he dose whatever he wants.

Chapter 6: The Life String

Ulfur and Kain, with their new knowledge and cards, set off to Dragonsmouth Mountain, or as it was more commonly called, “Devil’s Valley”. From the town they went through a winding dirt road, meeting a few shady characters along the way who either seemed disinterested in fighting Ulfur or interested in selling to Kain. However, Kain wasn’t very interested in buying anything any of the merchants had to sell, as he was smart enough to know that any good merchandise they had was either stolen or too pricy. Besides, they had brought all the materials they needed. They avoided everyone the best they could.

Immediately after the dirt road came the rocky face of another mountain known as “The Devil’s Hound”, referring to its closeness to Dragonsmouth Mountain and the dog-headed shape of one end of its width. Ulfur went up first, his large, bulky frame seeming to glide over the surface of the rocks as he made his way to the top. Kain had a slightly more difficult time, his feet finding bad footing where Ulfur’s larger feet were secure. Kain also had the disadvantage of not knowing how to climb upward very easily. In his mountain home he was able to climb a trail to his cave every morning and night, and was used to dealing with snow instead of solid rock. It almost bored into Kain’s mind, the way they were moving so slowly. He was used to running fast and attacking fast, but, alas, he knew it must be done.

His hands took their time to search for a good place to grip, then he would bring the opposite foot up to a rock and repeat the process on the other side, squirming his way up for what seemed like an eternity and five sunsets. Kain hadn’t even realized when Ulfur had reached the top of the hill, and even after he himself was finished he still tried to go up higher. This ended with Kain falling flat on his face. Ulfur didn’t give a laugh as he usually would, because in front of them he could see two men weaving through the small trail and lush green trees ahead, headed directly for them. Their faces were temporarily hooded and protected by the crooked shadows of the forest, and their bodies covered in thick cloaks, keeping him from being able to tell their body language as well as their identities. Ulfur made the mistake of looking over at Kain as he stood up, as the cloaked men took this time to charge the two. It was only by pure chance that Kain was able to catch a glimpse of a shadow next to Ulfur.

One of the cloaked men sent a fist directly at Kain’s face, but was too slow. Kain had ducked out of the way just in time and grabbed the man’s arm, twisting it in his hands and bringing the figure to the ground. He grinned down at the blacked out face before shoving away the man and sending a kick into his side, making him fumble forward.

Kain: You think you want to try that again?

Stranger: No, I don’t think I’ll do that again. But I will try something else!

Kain brought his hands forward slowly, fingers in a ready grasping position, and waited patiently as the man got back onto his feet. A rushed attack wouldn’t have been smart, as the man could be holding a knife or other such weapon, so he had to become defensive until he found out the rest of his opponent’s arsenal. The hooded man stood for a few moments, shifting his hands around in the air, apparently trying to confuse Kain into defending the wrong side. Once Kain’s eyes noticed a shining piece of metal within the man’s sleeve, an attack was launched, and Kain was thrown forward by a deafening kick. The attack came from behind! Another opponent?! Kain thought.

Ulfur: They’re not playing fair!

Ulfur braced his body and made a mad dash towards the new figure which has risen from the ground. Before Kain could regain his balance, or even realize what Ulfur had said, a fist came from under the cloak of the man before him and he was brought back to a stand by the blow.

Stranger 2: It’s futile!

Ulfur’s massive fist was brought across the chin of the new figure, but it went straight through and Ulfur was nearly brought onto his belly. The ground at the half-giant’s feet had then suddenly become like putty, and two hands came to grab at his ankles, but Ulfur was too used to desert pitfalls to be caught by something like this. He’d already cartwheeled himself many feet away by the time the hands had closed in the air. Kain now came towards the first man, one arm forward as a guard, and mode a quick sweep at the man’s legs with his foot. The man took the blow, but it was his face which was struck.

Kain: So you’re using the ground to try and evade attacks, huh? Not too good of an idea if somebody fakes you out.

Stranger: Rrr.. I didn’t think our illusions would be so easy to see through!

Kain: Actually, I just made a lucky guess based on what happened to my friend, Ulfur, over there. I had no idea you were using an illusion of yourself.

The stranger’s now bleeding face receded below the dirt, and the two strangers were missing for some amount of time. Kain and Ulfur looked at one another, and nodded in agreement over something. Though they were old friends, they were able to create plans which utlized their special skills quite quickly, and at the same time without much communication. Their posture and expression was all it took. The two brought their legs far apart and stood with straight backs, looking across at each other.

As they both expected, the ground began to shift beneath their feet and they were grabbed at the ankles by the two strangers and were beginning to be pulled down into the ground. At this time, they put their plan into action. First, Ulfur clasped his hands together above his head, forcing energy into them as he brought them down like a hammer upon the soft soil. The massive force exerted split a fissure in the earth which expanded over to Kain, a shockwave of energy forcing away and trapping the stranger. Unlike the man underground, Kain had maneuverability and was able to catch his feet on either side of the fissure, giving him enough balance to unsheathe his sword and send a slash of white energy between Ulfur’s legs, slicing the second stranger’s hand clean off and making him retreat.

Kain: No blood. They must be using some kind of illusion, or maybe a puppet of some sort. For now they’re gone. But they’ll probably come back..

Ulfur: Yeah, I know all that. Have you forgotten who you’re dealing with, here?

Kain: Sorry, Ulfur. I’m too used to idiots.

Kain and Ulfur each gave a half-hearted laugh at their little exchange of words, then things became serious again as they set along the forest trail from which the two assailants had come from. No doubt they were hiding among the trees or dirt, but the pair had no choice but to go. After all, it was not long until they would make it to Dragonsmouth Mountain. Kain made sure to check all of his gear–the sword on his back, the dagger hidden on his person, and his deck stuffed into his pocket. He believed that after his opponent had seen him fight, they would choose to take the alternate pathway, as most fighters did, and attempt to duel them. But he could not be sure, as they might no even be able to summon, despite how powerful they were. He would ponder this for a few moments as they walked, only to soon see the answer.

A white circle appeared to the side of Ulfur and Kain, extending from within the dense forest all the way to their feet. The half-giant gave a heavy sigh, while Kain quickly grabbed his deck and stared at the darkness which they were now being sucked into. It was as if a vacuum fed them through a small hole, then spat them out into some oversized sink, leaving them cold and wet feeling. As they regained their composure, they realized they were upon Dragonsmouth Mountain.

At their feet were volcanic rocks, and crystal-skewed formations, and at their 12 O’clock was the two cloaked figures, with duplicates of themselves standing immediately behind. Their beady eyes gleamed through their hoods, and even in the darkness the black smile they gave was a perfect shadow.

Kain: You two are pretty boys, I guess? You probably think your faces are too beautiful to be seen by others, and that’s why you hide behind your illusions and hoods. Your face told it all to me, uhh.. Left one. It was tender and well-shaven, and your hair is a perfect gold. Man, you two are condescending.

Stranger: You’re a very clever man indeed, Kain... But this will be your final fight.

The stranger’s voice was now filled with chime, instead of the anger it was when he was fighting before. Typical of a pretty boy. Kain felt like he could recognize the voice now, but it was too vague.

Stranger 2: I suppose we might as well reveal ourselves now. No point in stalling it.

Both of the strangers grabbed their dark cloaks and pulled them from their bodies, somehow along with them their skin. Kain was excited for a mere moment as he waited to see rotted or raw, bleeding flesh. But he then became disappointed to see that they were merely wooden sculptures of people. Mannequins. Puppets. The first they had seen had the number “1" written on its chest, and the other “2". Neither had any visible energy. Ulfur gave a slightly confused look, but then realized the situation with his great perception. They had just been tricked into a duel where only they would be losing any energy. Their opponent would be able to conserve their energy, since obviously their summoning powers had been sealed into the puppets and stored up for just an occasion. If they were defeated, they would be instantly killed, or at least that’s how things looked to Ulfur. With any luck, they might live?

Puppet 1: 4000

Puppet 2: 4000

Kain: 4000

Ulfur: 4000

Puppet 1: Due to the circumstance in which the duel began, Ulfur wont be able to gain any additional Life Points due to his abundance of energy.

Ulfur: Whoever is controlling these two has really though out their stuff. We have been at the disadvantage since this whole thing started...

Puppet 2: Since I opened the circle, I will be going first.

Six cards shot into the second puppet’s hand, then five cards were drawn by each of the other duelists. Ulfur and Kain looked at one another, saying in their own way that they had very good hands.

Puppet 2: I activate “Double Summon”, then use its effect to summon “Mysterious Puppeteer”. With him on the field, I summon “Puppet Guardian”.

Mysterious Puppeteer’s ATK: 1000

Puppet Guardian’s ATK: 1500

A masked man appeared on the field, flinging around a wooden puppet. Then behind him appeared a large wooden man, whose body was covered in splinters.

Puppet 2: By my Puppeteer’s effect, I gain 500 points!

Puppet 2's Life Points: 4500

Puppet 1's Life Points: 4000

There was a quake in the energies, and suddenly it came upon Ulfur. It was his turn next, as indicated by one of his cards floating from his deck and into his hand. He looked over his cards, and smirked before activating a Spell.

Ulfur: I’ll activate “Desert Mirage” for my friend, then I’ll set a monster and end my turn.

The air around Ulfur and Kain began to become wave-like, distorting the vision of them for the two puppets. A tablet was then placed sideways in front of Ulfur before the first puppet drew a card.

Puppet #1: I summon “Black Puppeteer” in attack position, then equip it with “Puppet Strings”, changing it to Defense Position and giving it a boost as well. Then I set 1 card.

Black Puppeteer’s DEF: 2000

A man dressed in black and dark purple clothing appeared, then was wrapped in wires and brought to his knees. Kain drew his sixth card.

Kain: Well, it all comes onto me now, doesn’t it? I suppose I will summon “Holy Knight - Izaeil”.

Holy Knight’s ATK: 1900

A knight clad in white clothing and wielding a glowing sword appeared, a white aura seeming to emanate from his heart.

Puppet #2: Mysterious Puppeteer activates his effect, giving me another 500!

Puppet #2's Life Points: 5000

Puppet #1's Life Points: 4000

Kain: Oh well. I attack him with Izaeil...

Puppet #2: I have that covered, too! Puppet Guardian sacrifices himself to save Mysterious Puppeteer.

The white knight ran towards the puppet master, but was suddenly blocked by exactly that, a block of wood. It shattered before his sword before he jumped back to Kain’s side.

Kain: Crap. This guy’s really getting on my nerves, Ulfur. We need to take him out soon.. Anyway, I set two cards and end my turn.

Two tablets appeared in front of Kain, then the second puppet drew a card from his deck. After looking them over, he played what seemed to be the best choice.

Puppet #2: I activate “Carving Magic”, and remove from play the Puppet in my Graveyard to Special Summon a puppet of the same level from my deck!

The puppet from before was suddenly wittled down by an invisible knife until it became a new, sleeker puppet holding a large gun. Ulfur and Kain were surprised to see the gun, as at this time there were so little.

Puppet Musketeer’s ATK: 1700

Puppet #2: I not only gain another 500 Life Points, but my puppet is immune to Trap Cards during the Battle Phase. Now my new Puppet Musketeer attacks Ulfur’s face-down monster!

Puppet #2's Life Points: 5500

The little wooden man got his weapon ready, and Kain seemed ready to do something, but the puppet shook his head, and fired away a bullet at Ulfur’s tablet. Ulfur simply smiled as it was revealed to be a large, sand-colored snake, which lunged out at the puppet and sunk its massive fangs into its arm before disappearing. The puppet then suddenly began to writhe about, and eventually turn to mush.

Ulfur: My cobra’s ability activated, causing your monster to whither away at the hands of his venom.

Puppet #2: Very tricky.. I suppose I’ll change Mysterious Puppeteer to defense and end.

Once the puppet master got to his knees, Ulfur drew his card. He looked over his hand once more, then revealed a monster card, choosing to summon it.

Ulfur: I will summon “Dune Survivalist”, and activate his effect, allowing me to add 1 Continuous Spell Card with the name “Desert” or “Dune” to my hand. I choose “Sand Dune”, and activate it.

Dune Survivalist’s ATK: 1600

Puppet #2's Life Points: 6000

From the mirage that was the two men, Kain and Ulfur, now came a giant rising dune. Altering the field of play.

Ulfur: As Kain will remember, this card decreases the power of all non-earth and wind-based monsters by 500, so that Black Puppeteer loses 500 defense.

Black Puppeteer’s DEF: 1500

Ulfur: I’ll opt not to destroy it, though, because that Mysterious Puppeteer is annoying the heck out of me! Survivalist, attack! Then I end my turn with a face-down card.

A man wearing desert clothing and carrying heavy camping gear cleared over the dune and jumped upon the puppet man, crushing it into nothing. A tablet then appeared, and the first puppet man drew a card.

Puppet #1: I activate the effect of “Black Puppeteer” and summon “Puppet-Maker Puppeteer” without a Tribute.

Puppet-Maker’s ATK: 1900

A balding man in a brown tunic appeared, and suddenly his body became covered in wooden instruments and parts. His gentle eyes narrowed, and he went for a full rush at Kain’s monster. However, Kain was ready with one of his face-down cards.

Kain: I activate “Peaceful Lashing”! This card returns an attacking monster to your hand.

The holy knight turned his blade to the flat side, then whipped it against the body of the oncoming puppeteer, sending him reeling back to the first puppet’s hand.

Puppet #1: Rrr.. I end my turn.

Kain: Then I guess I’ll start off with my spell card, “Warrior’s Rage!” This card lets my destroy the black puppeteer and summon a Level 3 or lower Warrior-Type monster from my hand, at the mere cost of my normal summon!

There was a card in Kain’s hand for a second, then there wasn’t. The field was silent momentarily, and then the black puppet master was reduced to nothing by a man wielding an axe behind him, who then joined Kain’s field.

The Eccentric’s ATK: 1000

Kain: This guy is not like normal, but you’ll find that out soon enough. For now, he’s just going to attack the second guy’s Life Points directly!

The axe-man grinned widely and spun in circles, somehow taking into the air, then slashing down upon the body of the puppet.

The puppet with the “2" on its chest drew yet another card, looking for a mere moment at his hand. Kain and Ulfur watched intently.

Puppet #2: Looks like I’ll be using one of our key cards.. I activate “First Curtain”, a spell that forces you to summon one of your creatures to our field, and I choose Kain for its target.

The puppet seemed to try and sneer, but its wooden face would not comply. Kain laughed a bit as he searched through his deck, then put into play “Aether’s Magician”.

Aether’s Magician’s ATK: 1100

A red curtain suddenly fell down from the air and covered the body of the puppet. Then from the top of the curtain dripped a milk-white magician with weapon in hand, attached to strings.

Uflur: Was that the worst monster you had, Kain? That’s even better than the one you have on the field now.

Kain simply shrugged at Ulfur’s words, then watched what the puppet man would do. The wooden statue observed the card’s effect, then gave a slight shrug.

Puppet #2: Now I summon “Puppet Hands” in attack position, and attack your Eccentric with Aether’s Magician.

Puppet Hands’ ATK: 1000

A pair of wooden arms behind a curtain appeared next to the milk-white mage wielding, Aether’s Magician, and that same mage pointed his weapon at the axe-wielder and fired directly at it.

Kain: I activate The Eccentric’s effect, and discard 1 spell from my hand to negate his destruction by battle!

Kain discarded a card from his hand, and the strange warrior he had summoned seemed to parry the attack just in time.

Kain’s Life Points: 3900

Ulfur’s Life Points: 4000

Puppet #2: What a pitiful trick. I activate your mage’s effect and we both draw 1 card. Then I end.

Kain and the puppet each drew 1 card, then the half-giant drew for his turn. His energy began to grow in power as he looked at his hand.

Ulfur: I activate “Whipping Sands”!

The dune in front of Ulfur began to shake some, then a heavy gust of wind caught its face, eventually snowballing into a vortex which took over the entire field. Kain put his coat over his face, protecting from the sand, but Ulfur and the puppets stood and watched, waiting to see the result. When the sand died down and began to settle again, the Black Puppeteer was a shattered mess, cracking to pieces where it stood. The strings around its body, however, were gone, and fastened to the ground. With a tug of the puppet’s arm, Ulfur’s Desert Cobra was raised from the dead.

Desert Cobra’s DEF: 0

Ulfur: That’s just not playing fair.

Puppet #1: Puppet Strings lets me summon one of your monsters when it’s destroyed! The only downside is, its strength goes to 0.

Ulfur: Heh. Well, I guess I have no choice but to summon “Sand Owl”.

Sand Owl’s ATK: 500

A sand-colored, miniature owl appeared above the dune, swooping around in circles and crowing. Ulfur gave a smile and pointed at his cobra.

Ulfur: I activate Owl’s effect. This little birdie is able to persuade others to change their battle position for me, so now it’s like I’m about to attack you directly with him!

The puppet’s tablet flipped up, revealing the symbol of a man falling over just before the little owl could attack, the snake seeming to become extremely tired and bored.

Puppet #1: “Work Exhaustion” makes the Battle Position of all of my monsters defense, and they are unable to change their position as long as it is face-up on the field.

The owl rammed into the snake, only to be bitten in the process. Both dissolved suddenly into sand, and Ulfur gave a look of annoyance. What luck those two had.

Ulfur: I suppose my Dune Survivalist will attack directly.. Though that means Desert Mirage’s effect activates, and it’s destroyed. At least I get a little gift.

Puppet #1: My turn, now!

Puppet #1's Life Points: 2600

The heavily-stacked man swung his equipment at the puppet, causing it to reel back. The mirage hiding Kain and Ulfur was then slowly dissolved, and Ulfur added a monster from his deck to his hand. The puppet with the 1 quicky drew afterwards.

Puppet #2: Well, it seems to me like I’m in a bit of trouble. Good for me I have “Act 1"!

The velvet red curtain came back up, and this time a dark black puppet covered in menacing blades appeared, dancing around the field like a stage.

Fiend’s Puppet’s ATK: 1900

Puppet #1: Now, my puppet, attack Kain’s knight!

The black-wooden beast swayed for a moment, then its arms and head spun, turning to look at the holy knight standing by Kain. In a flash, the being had appeared behind him and reduced him to clothing.

Ulfur’s Life Points: 4000

Kain’s Life Points: 3800

Puppet #1: Then because your knight is gone, you must discard a card from your hand, Kain!

The puppet gave a dry laugh as Kain picked and chose the cards in his hand, then deciding to discard a spell. The puppeteer then ended, and Kain drew a new cards.

Kain: Let’s hope I can do something with this. I activate my face-down “Into the Fray”, allowing me to tribute The Eccentric to summon 1 spellcaster from my deck!

Mage Breaker’s ATK: 300

Kain: Then I activate “Wren’s Enchantment” and “Black Potion”. I target Breaker with Wren’s Enchantment, and your puppet with Black Potion.

A golden light began to envelope Mage Breaker, then a black aura around the Fiend’s Puppet. Suddenly, changes began to take place in the size of the two.

Mage Breaker’s ATK: 800

Fiend Puppet’s ATK: 1400

Puppet #1: Wow, big deal. Even with your two cards you still haven’t managed to do a single useful thing.

Kain: It might not seem that way, but this deck is set up the way it is for a purpose. None of my cards go to waste. And you’ll see when I summon “Albdruck of the Forgotten Magic” by removing from play Spell Cards in my Graveyard!

Albdruck’s ATK: 1900

Puppet #1: I guess I can take a little bit of damage...

Kain: Oh no, I’m not done. The effects of Wren’s Enchantment and Black Potion activate when they are removed from play, allowing me to draw 1 card, and also to destroy a creature on the field. I choose Fiend’s Puppet!

The looming figure of Albdruck of the Forgotten Magic, a tall man with a scarred face and lush green clothing, became even more menacing now as it stared down at the puppet man. A burst of air sent a card directly into Kain’s hand, then muck began to well up all around the body of the puppet, suddenly exploding over its body before sucking it inside itself.

Kain: Albdruck, attack direct–!

Kain winced suddenly as he felt a sharp pain in his mind, but fought it back as he tried to concentrate back on the duel, watching as the mage stormed towards the puppet man.

Puppet #2: I can’t let you do that! I activate my face-down card “Act 2", which summons up to five “Puppet Tokens” to any player’s field in defense. And I choose my puppet friend!

Puppet Token’s DEF: 500

Kain: Why’d you have to go and spoil my fun like that, you idiot? Oh well.. I guess I attack two of the puppets.

Albdruck and the breaker mage lashed out at two of the tiny figurines in front of the puppet man, almost striking him in the process, but not closely enough. The second puppet they had met then drew a card from his deck.

Puppet #2: Heh.. It was worth it to gain all of those extra points at the beginning, because I activate one of our trump cards, “Soul Puppet”, and by paying half of my life to this card...!

Puppet 2: 5000

Puppet 1: 2600

Ulfur: 4000

Kain: 3800

The ground began to shake, and Kain and Ulfur watched in awe at what began to come up from the sand dune in front of them. First came its hands, which were bony-fingered and had long, thick black nails, then came the head of withering hair and a scaly face.. Its eyes pierced their hearts with near-terror.

..... To Be Continued

• 4 weeks later...

finally...

damn, you sure kept us waiting long enough there mate. yes, i know, i haven't replied to this fan fic before (i'm a lurker, kinda), but i've followed it since you began all those months ago. and you know, in my opinion, yours is the most overlooked fan fic on this site. your work is unique and masterfully done. lol! when i finished reading i had so many things in mind that i wanted to say, but mah brain's on overload right now. soz...

so, i'll end by saying this: keep up the excellent work. with enough determination, you can make this story the best of YCG. don't let this die out...

peace...

Archived