Ritual Contest [Finished]

wightpower

And here we go.

[spoiler Ritual Monster]PETc5t3.jpg

You can Ritual Summon this card with "Savage Salvage". This card gains 100 ATK for each monster in your Graveyard. Once per turn: You can target 1 monster in your Graveyard; excavate the top 3 cards of your Deck and send them to the Graveyard, then if the total Levels of any monsters among the excavated cards is equal to or greater than the Level/Rank of that target, add that target to your hand. Monsters that were excavated and sent to the Graveyard this way cannot activate their effects while they in the Graveyard.[/spoiler]

[spoiler Ritual Spell]JGn7Z0Z.jpg

This card is used to Ritual Summon "Excavator Beetle". You must also send 2 or more Insect or Plant-Type monsters whose total Levels equal 8 from your Deck to your Graveyard. You can banish 2 Insect or Plant-Type monsters from your Graveyard; add this card from your Graveyard to your hand.[/spoiler]

The general design theme of the Ritual set is based off the dredge mechanic from MtG. There, cards with "dredge X" allowed you to mill yourself X cards to retrieve them from the graveyard, and this can only happen for each time you'd draw a card. Seemed like fair play, until there was a dredge spell that let you retrieve the precious lands you milled, putting it back in the graveyard to open up another dredge opportunity. Then you'd cast it again, retrieve your lands, etc. etc. It was MtG's version of Lightsworns.

Excavator Beetle tries to do something similar, though not at the insane combo speed that the dredge deck boasts. You get to retrieve a monster in your Graveyard - provided that the excavated monsters' Levels match or are greater than the target's Level/Rank. This lowers the chances of you being able to get that high-Level boss monster that ended up in your Graveyard, and encourages you to just settle for lower-Level monsters. Even if you miss, this card still gets a little 100 ATK boost for each monster in your Graveyard. And because everyone and their mother loves self-mill, this card ensures that the monsters it excavated and milled cannot activate their effects while they are in the Graveyard to prevent abuse with Sylvans and pals. Don't worry, the effect lock wears off the moment you get them out of the Graveyard.

Savage Salvage takes a lesson from Advanced Ritual Art, needing you to pick and mill monsters instead of needing to Tribute from your hand or field. If you got Excavator Beetle but need to get this card back, it gladly retrieves itself by banishing monsters from your Graveyard. Savage Salvage is only compatible with Insects and Plants to minimize abuse with many other dump-and-revive Decks. It seems lazy, but it fits the general design theme, and sets up the Graveyard for Excavator Beetle's effect.

Life ends in death, and through death, there is rebirth. Such is life.

I do have free entry from last time, right? (If I don't, just tell me and I'll donate).

Anywho, here are my cards, the Alchemists:

[spoiler='Ritual Spell Card (Actually a Continuous Spell): Arcane Alchemy']

sUG1SGH.jpg

You can only control 1 face-up "Arcane Alchemy". Each time a Spell Card is activated, place 1 Spell Counter on this card. If this card would be destroyed, you can remove all Spell Counters (min. 1) from this card instead. Once per turn: You can target 1 Spellcaster-Type Ritual Monster in your hand or Graveyard, then remove Spell Counters from your side of the field equal to that monster's Level; Special Summon that target. (This Special Summon is treated as a Ritual Summon.)

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Ritual Monster 1: Alchemist of Ascension']

bkSLKAZ.jpg

Cannot be Special Summoned except by Ritual Summon. You can Ritual Summon this card with "Arcane Alchemy". When this card is Ritual Summoned: Add 1 "Alchemy" Continuous Spell Card from your Deck to your hand. Once per turn: You can target 1 Spellcaster-Type monster in your hand or Graveyard; until your second End Phase after this effect's activation, that target is treated as a Ritual Monster.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Ritual Monster 2: Alchemist of Misdirection']

36C8C4C.jpg

Cannot be Special Summoned except by Ritual Summon. You can discard this card to add 1 "Alchemist" monster from your Deck to your hand. You can Ritual Summon this card with "Arcane Alchemy". When this card is Ritual Summoned: Add 1 "Alchemy" Spell Card from your Deck to your hand. Once per turn: You can target 1 Spellcaster-Type Ritual Monster in your hand or Graveyard; Special Summon that target. (This Special Summon is treated as a Ritual Summon.)

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Support Spell: Illicit Alchemy']

614FzlV.jpg

You can only control 1 face-up "Illicit Alchemy". When this card is activated: Target 1 other face-up "Alchemy" Continuous Spell Card you control, then place its Spell Counters (if any) on this card; return that target to the hand. Each time a Spell Card is activated, place 2 Spell Counters on this card. You can target 1 other face-up "Alchemy" Continuous Spell Card you control; place this card's Spell Counters on the target, then return this card from your side of the field to your hand. This effect of "Illicit Alchemy" can only be activated once per turn.

[/spoiler]

Okay, so basically, here's a general overview of what this set of Ritual Spellcasters are meant to do. First, we begin with the ritual spell, Arcane Alchemy, a card that, once per turn, allows you to remove Spell Counters from your side of the field to Ritual Summon a Spellcaster-type Ritual Monster from your hand or Graveyard with Level equal to the number of removed Spell Counters. Now, one of the good things right off the bat is that this card works with all Spellcaster-type Ritual Monsters. Another perk is that the Ritual Monster can be in your Grave - so Foolish Burial or Lavalval can really help in setup.

However, the spell is still weak in that you need to remove a lot of spell counters to get it working, and to do that, too much setup is required. That's why I designed the two Ritual Monsters as Level 1 Tuners. Not only are they useful in Synchro-ing , but they also are easy to get out as you only need to remove 1 counter for them.

In addition, these monsters work quite well together. When you ritual summon them, you can add 1 of the "Alchemy" Continuous Spell Cards from your Deck to your hand, thus setting up future combos with the last card (more on that later). Then, you have their individual effects. Alchemist of Ascension lets you target 1 Spellcaster-type monster in your hand or Graveyard and treat it as a Ritual monster. Now, after some trickery, you'll be able to re-activate Arcane Alchemy (more on that later) and use it to Ritual Summon the target that Alchemist of Ascension "ritualized." Meanwhile, Alchemist of Misdirection serves as a utility tool that'll help speed up this process. Not only can you discard him to add another Alchemist to your hand (hint: add Alchemist of Ascension), but you can also use his effect to target and Special Summon any Spellcaster-type Ritual Monster from your hand or Graveyard! So, the second time you use Arcane Alchemy, instead of directly summoning the "ritualized" monster, you can just Summon Alchemist of Misdirection and then get out the "ritualized" monster.

Finally, we have Illicit Alchemy, a card that you will definitely be adding to your hand once you Ritual Summon Alchemist of Ascension. Basically, what you'd do is use Illicit Alchemy to move all the counters from Arcane Alchemy onto Illicit Alchemy, and then return Arcane Alchemy to your hand. This complex process lets you keep your spell counters AND re-activate Arcane Alchemy for another Ritual Summon that turn. In addition, Illicit Alchemy can cycle itself.

Also, note: The continuous spells gain Spell Counters (1 for Arcane Alchemy, 2 for Illicit Alchemy) each time a Spell is activated.

For balance purposes:

• You can only control 1 Arcane Alchemy
  • You can only control 1 Illicit Alchemy
  • The recycling effect of Illicit Alchemy can only be used once per turn

A Basic Sequence:

The Ideal Scenario: Draw Arcane Alchemy and Alchemist of Misdirection:

• Use Misdirection's effect to add Ascension to your hand
  • Basically, what you want at this point is both Alchemists in either your hand or Graveyard (doesn't matter where)
  • Use Arcane Alchemy+ another Spell to get counters
  • Use Arcane Alchemy to Summon Ascension; add Illicit Alchemy to your hand
  • Use Illicit Alchemy to return Arcane Alchemy to the hand
  • Reactivate Arcane Alchemy and use it to Ritual Summon Misdirection from the Grave
  • Use Ascension+Misdirection to Summon any Spellcaster

Lot's of techs. Techs for days :)

Okay, so I thought about what I wanted to do, and it took me about 2 hours to make a decision. It's taken me 7 more hours to make my cards. I hope that, even if they turn out not to win, that people will at least like the idea.

Here we go!

[spoiler='Corruption of Relinquished']OmLOjrS.jpg

Can only be Ritual Summoned using "Ultimate Corruption" and cannot be Ritual Summoned by other means. Once per turn, you can target one monster your opponent controls; equip that target to this card. This card loses 1000 Atk for each monster equipped to it. This card gains the effects of all monsters equipped to it. If this card's Atk becomes 0: Destroy this card and Special Summon all monsters equipped to it to your side of the field, regardless of Summoning conditions.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Ultimate Corruption']pTMzvaH.jpg

Can only be activated if you control a face-up "Relinquished" monster on your side of the field equipped with an opponent's monsters. This card can be used to summon any "Relinquished" monster. Banish monsters from your Extra Deck up to the level of the "Relinquished" monster you wish to summon. When this card is sent to the graveyard after a successful Ritual Summon; Banish this card; return up to 6 of the monsters banished for the summon to the Extra Deck. As long as this card is in your graveyard you cannot Special Summon monsters from your Extra Deck.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Birth of Relinquished']s20GJ5y.jpg

When this card is Summoned: You can banish 3 cards from your extra deck; add a Ritual Spell Card from your deck to your hand OR add a "Relinquished" monster from your deck to your hand. This effect of "Birth of Relinquished" can only be used once per turn. When this card is sent to the graveyard; You can add a "Relinquished" monster or a Ritual Spell Card from your grave to your hand, except "Birth of Relinquished. You can return 2 Banished Extra Deck cards to Special Summon this card from your graveyard in face-up attack position OR equip this card to one face-up "Relinquished" you control and treat it as your opponent's monster. You can only control one face-up "Birth of Relinquished".[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Rise of Relinquished']xoGtBbM.jpg

This card can only be Special Summoned by sending one "Relinquished" card from your hand or field to the graveyard. Once per turn, you can return a banished Extra Deck card to target a monster your opponent controls; equip that monster to this card. (You can only equip 1 monster at a time to this card with this effect.) Once per turn, you can send exactly 1 monster equipped to this card to the graveyard; add a Ritual Spell Card from your deck to your hand.[/spoiler]

I hope you all enjoy reading them!

Here we have the Beelzebub Trio

[spoiler='Glutton King of Flies, Beelzebub (the Ritual Monster)']V1mxRV9.jpg

(This card is always treated as an Insect-Type monster)
Must be first be Summoned by "Feast of Flies". If this card destroys a monster, destroy all other cards that were in the same position as that card (Face-up or Set) on your opponents side of the field. If this card leaves the field, Special Summon all Ritual Material monsters from your graveyard used to summon this card in face-up Defense Position.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Feast of Flies (the Ritual Spell)']rOSCy8n.jpg

Send 3 monsters from your hand or Field to the Graveyard: Ritual Summon 1 "Glutton King of Flies, Beelzebub" from your hand, Deck, or graveyard. If this card is in your Graveyard during your Main Phase 2, while you control a "Glutton King of Flies, Beelzebub", you can shuffle both cards into your deck. You can add this card from your Graveyard to your hand by revealing 1 "Glutton King of Flies, Beelzebub". [/spoiler]

[spoiler='Avatar of Gluttony, Zebul (the Ritual support)'][url=http://imgur.com/iPIRmID]iPIRmID.jpg[/URL]

When this card is Normal Summoned: You can add 1 "Feast of Flies" from your Deck to your Hand OR add 1 Level 10 or higher Fiend-Type monster from your Deck to your Hand. You cannot Summon any monsters added to your hand by this effect, as long as this card remains on the field.[/spoiler]

Entry

[spoiler=Ritual Spell]

7bEawXj.jpg

This card is used to Ritual Summon "Baileyales The Sylvan High Advocate". You must also return monsters from your hand and/or field to the top of the Deck whose total Levels equal 7 or more. If this card is excavated from the Deck and sent to the Graveyard by card effect: You can add this card from your Graveyard to your hand.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Monster]

KLeOoUG.jpg

You can Ritual Summon this card with "Sacred Sylvan Ritual". Once per turn: You can excavate the top card of your deck, and if it is a Plant-Type monster, send it to the Graveyard, and if you do, this card gains 400 ATK until the End Phase. Otherwise, place it on the bottom of your Deck. If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can place 1 Plant-Type monster from your Deck or Graveyard on top of your Deck. If this card is excavated from the Deck and send to the Graveyard by card effect: Half the ATK of all non-Plant-Type monsters currently on the field.

[/spoiler]

I'm really sorry but I can't meet the deadline due to work and mainly my poor time management: I feel bad for wasting your time, and all I can think of to make it up is that you have less cards to judge, and I'll give an extra 100 points to give out or keep how you like. Soorry again bye!

You can be able to. Ritual monsters must be Special Summoned by a Ritual Spell Card first, but after that, if they are Pendulums and can go to the Extra Deck, it is possible to Pendulum Summon them. However, I don't know if you can do it continuously since it wasn't properly Ritual Summoned again.

@Feartheghost: Yeah, I figured out some of the nuances of the contest entries during this judgement (hence why I abandoned the question you're answering), and none of them turn out to do anything questioning the established rules, so it's a lot easier on me. What I really wanted to know was if you could Pendulum Summon Ritual Monsters from your hand the same as Effect and Normal monsters, or if you can't do so because they need to be Ritual Summoned. It makes sense that you wouldn't be able to, though, and luckily, I think all of the entries covered their bases so it's not an issue anymore.

-Judgement-

This was difficult, and I'm proud to say that you all made admirable cards that apply Rituals in situations that they haven't been designed for, so congrats to all of you. That said, I'm surprised how many decided to use Pendulum mechanics for their entries, ironically making more than half the cards in the contest similar to one another. Whatever, I guess that's the new big thing. I'm really sad not a single one of you directly involved Fusion, Xyz, Synchro, Toon, Spirit, Gemini, Union, Equip, or Trap mechanics in your cards. There were a ton of missed opportunities here. Also keep in mind that as Pendulums don't exist in the TCG yet, you were all taking a huge gamble with me not knowing anything about them, and thus skewing the judgement with ignorance. I've read and re-read the rules as much as I can, and I sincerely hope I'm not overlooking or confusing anything in your effects.

Anyway, I still liked a lot of your cards. Starting to think I should judge OCG more one of these days, since I kept finding tons of grammar errors throughout the contest. In the future, make sure you guys proofread your cards better. All of them tried new and interesting things with Rituals, so this judgement is more focused on how useful your cards would be in the real game, and how much I like the designs. The following judgements are in order of when you submitted your cards, with the prizes listed along with each winning entry:

syber_sypher: "Searing Sage" and "Altar of Mystics". A fine idea to tie it in with Pendulums, but I felt these cards lacked the ambition of some of the other entries. I'll admit I didn't like either design, feeling they were both generic and didn't really stand out from the competition. Unless you're specifically fighting WATER monsters, Searing Sage seems too restrictive with too little payoff. The added versatile Ritual Summoning conditions would be nice if they weren't even more costly than just getting rid of 9-Levels worth of monsters, and I honestly don't think you needed to make Sage's Level that high to begin with. The ATK boost from spells in your Graveyard is a cool idea, but that's all it really has going for it. I liked the inclusion of letting it be Pendulum Summoned, but because that effect belongs to the Spell and not the monster, it's still not much different from Ritual Summoning. Letting Searing Sage be Pendulum Summoned by its own monster effect would've greatly improved its usefulness, but as the cards are now, I really don't think they'd see much use in the game. An interesting idea, but one that needs a lot of revising.

Degritone: "Cat Queen", "Rise of the Cat Queen", "Cat Defender" and "Cat Warrior". I'll admit, I really liked these when you first posted them, and I'm still probably biased towards them. One of these days, you're going to run out of Genzoman images. Anyway, I thought you did a great job integrating Pendulums and Rituals into a very fun mini-archetype. Names were a little bland, but they matched the images well enough. The Ritual Spell is one of the most versatile I've seen, real or custom, and the three Pendulums have excellent synergy and versatility to cycle through each other efficiently and bring out the Queen. I couldn't find any flaws (except I think you might need to edit Cat Warrior's effect to say Extra Deck instead of Graveyard, because I think Pendulums go to the Extra Deck if destroyed on the field) and they didn't seem overpowered at all. Really good job. I felt you set the bar for the rest of the contest. Winner: First Place.

Kamishiro Ryoga: "Saint Decipher Magician" and "Deciphering Spell". This was a tough nut for me to crack. Make sure you proofread your OCG in the future. Other than grammar, this was an interesting idea to tie Rituals into chain links, but I also felt that it was a rocky foundation to base an effect on. I don't run into Chain Link 4 or higher too often in a duel, and I imagine you'd have to be extremely lucky to do so with both of these cards conveniently in your hand or on the field to make the Ritual Summon work. Congrats on making your Spell a Quick-play, but I think that's the only way to ever get this to work. Like a few other entries, this felt like a unique idea that falls flat because the risk and costs far outweigh any potential gains. Banishing cards from the chain to make the Ritual Summon could hurt you more than your opponent, and the summoning felt even more restrictive and costly than a normal Ritual Summon – and some existing Ritual Monsters already have effects more powerful than Saint Decipher Magician's. While I'm happy you pushed for new ideas, the point was to also make the summoning as or more efficient than real Rituals that already exist. If you can edit these two and improve on the chain-link-summoning idea, you could make something really great.

Qliphoth Tool: "Qliphoth Processing Unit" and "Qliphoth Frame". I'm noticing a theme here. Good job covering your bases in case there was ever another Qliphoth Ritual monster. QPU had some great versatility to it, and I liked how much freedom of Tribute you gave it to let you bring out Frame. I'm also glad you supported Pendulums without actually making one. Letting Frame recycle itself as a Pendulum for Pendulum Summoning later on was a great idea, and thanks for weakening it in case you do so. Not as ambitious or flashy as some of the other ideas I saw in this contest, but you've made two very solid and balanced cards that I can't find any flaw in. As a part of a greater archetype, I imagine any shortcomings could be made up by tandem with other Qliphoths. Good job.

Overfrost!: "Meridius, Goddess of Twilights", "Ortias, Spirit of Rising Twilights", "Ocassa, Spirit of Setting Twilights", "Ritual of Twilight". Ritual of Twilight was another versatile Spell that I felt would be useful in getting any of the monsters you made out before cycling itself back for another use. I love how efficient we're forced to make Ritual Spells ever since Gishkis came out. Anyway, these were pretty great. Another good use of Ritual/Pendulums, but some of the effects felt either redundant or like you were adding them specifically to balance when you didn't need to. I don't think you ever need to specify that when they're Tributed you must send them to the Extra Deck, because I think Pendulums always go to the Extra Deck if they would be sent from the field to the Graveyard. Props for manipulating their Pendulum Scales and making them tricky to maneuver. While I somewhat feel like these are more restricted than they need to be, I prefer slightly underpowered cards to overpowered ones, so I'm happy with these. I'm also happy you tried to tie them into other Ritual Monsters besides the Twilights. Great job. Winner: Third Place.

Gadjiltron: "Excavator Beetle" and "Savage Salvage". Like the theme of these two, and I felt you accomplished a great deal with just two cards. Beetle is a powerhouse that gets stronger the more you mill your Deck, and his effect lets you Monster Reincarnate every now and then depending on how lucky you are. I also liked the Deck-reliance and recycling effect of the Ritual Spell. I feel like these limit themselves to relying on Insect and Plant monsters, taking away a lot of Beetle's splashability, but it's definitely a cool idea. My biggest problem with these cards was that it was only a little new to the real game. Self-milling aside, this isn't the first Ritual Spell to rely on the Deck instead of the hand or field, and the cards don't do much to revolutionize Ritual Monsters. Two great cards I'd love to see in the real game, but not as innovative as I hoped. Great job, in any case.

magemeek22: "Arcane Alchemy", "Alchemist of Ascension", "Alchemist of Misdirection", "Illicit Alchemy". Using Spell Counters for Ritual Summoning is one of those ideas that I'm surprised I haven't seen in the real game yet. You'd think Ritual's reliance on Spells would make that an obvious combination. Anyway, These were all pretty cool. Your in-depth explanation made it easier for me to see the bigger picture, and I really like how much thought you put into meshing these with other Spellcasters. You've done a great job making a small archetype interweaving Counters and Spellcasters along with Ritual Support without making anything feel too powerful. Their stats and restrictions bring plenty of risk to their utility, and I think you balanced them well. Great job. Winner: Second Place.

Feartheghost: "Corruption of Relinquished", "Ultimate Corruption", "Birth of Relinquished", "Rise of Relinquished". I was surprised to see anything Relinquished-related here. It was a cool idea to use Extra Deck monsters as the tributes for the Ritual Summon, and while one might be able to manipulate that to take advantage of banished Extra Deck monsters, I didn't think it was overwhelmingly powerful. Unless you can add a bunch of Pendulums to your Extra Deck, it also severely limits your ability to take Tributes from there, since the Extra Deck can only have 15 cards in it. While you run the risk of running out of Extra Deck cards to sacrifice for your summons, I feel like you did a well enough job of making these cards an efficient archetype based on a classic card. Nicely done.

UnendingEmpire: "City of Tuscarora", "Tuscaroran Jellyfish", "Tuscaroran Mermaid", "Tuscaroran Ghost Ship". Sorry about the number limitations. These entries have already been hard enough to judge with just four cards each, but my heart has been warmed by you linking these cards to your entry from my last contest. I really liked the Field Spell/Life Point trading theme you worked out with these, and despite how simple some of the effects were, I liked the flow and synergy between each monster and their Field Spell. For their low level, I felt like you balanced the summoning speed of the monsters well, I could see these getting some good mileage in a WATER deck, building up to summon a powerhouse Sea Serpent, etc. Good job. Winner: Fourth Place

Philemon: "Glutton King of Flies, Beelzebub", "Feast of Flies", "Avatar of Gluttony, Zebul". This might be the first Ritual Monster I've seen in this contest I would call overpowered. Despite necessitating three Tributes, it might actually be as powerful as an Egyptian God since it can nuke all face-up or face-down cards depending on whatever it destroys. Its high stats and failsafe of bringing back everything used to Ritual Summon it once destroyed make it seem like an extremely powerful monster with very little drawback. Despite that, it is a Ritual Monster, and those are supposed to be more powerful than every other type of monster, so my hands are a little tied. Zebul is one of the only restricting factors in the entry, as he limits his own searching ability by making it so you can't summon Beelzebub if you add him to your hand. A nice touch. My biggest problem with these cards was that I didn't feel like they pushed enough envelopes for Rituals. While Feast of Flies is a versatile and useful Ritual Spell, the only difference between Beelzebub's conditions and other Ritual Monsters is that he requires a specific number of monsters, rather than levels, and that really didn't feel as interesting or ambitious as some of the other entries. Good idea, though.

josolche: "Sacred Sylvan Ritual" and "Baileyales the Sylvan High Advocate". These were interesting. Sending the Ritual Tributes back to the deck was a fun concept, and while Excavating as a gimmick happened earlier in this contest, it's still a new idea for Rituals. Baileyales was a nice bruiser monster, but I didn't feel like he had much going for him other than boosting his attack for a bit by excavating plants. Reliance on plants limits his splashability some. I also couldn't find effects in either card that would allow them to excavate one another to support their own effects, even though I feel it'd be easy to add to either one. Baileyales' effect to halve the ATK of all plants also seems detrimental, since you're more likely to suffer from an accidental excavation than your opponent. As Baileyales itself is not overwhelmingly powerful on his own, that effect felt unnecessary, and I think it weakens the entry a bit. Not a bad idea, but I felt it could use more unique elements and innovative ideas to differ from existing Ritual monsters.

Well that's all I got. I'm still happy about most of these, and I hope you guys had fun and enjoyed coming up with new ideas for Ritual Monsters. Also: Gadjiltron and josolche, because of how similar your cards and effects were, I demand you work together to make an archetype based on Excavator Beetle and Baileyales and submit it to Multiple Cards. I'd love to see a Plant/Insect Ritual/Excavation themed archetype from you two. The coincidence from your entries was too lucky not to pass up.

Congratulations to the winners, and thank you all for entering!

Archived