VEueJbt.png

Rules:

3 Topics 

Gaming - Storm - Noir

Tags made before: 11th August 2014 are not permitted

First to 3 votes on each tag win

Deadline:

16th August 2014

(If all tags are complete before this date, tags MAY be posted earlier)

Status Announcements will be posted around tag post day

Gaming Tag:     VVMfChL.png (winner)

Storm Tag: 11IY8URu.png (winner)

2 gmv. There is too much happening in the first tag that makes it overwhelming. And the lightning doesn't reflect any proper lighting, which ruins the execution. The second is much cleaner, and easier to depict in terms of lighting. It is more subtle in what the tag is trying to attempt. Definitely has better executiion, but both could use some work on that harshness of a piece. Both are harsh in extremes, which ruin the piece. Keep it up, but make the next ones better, boys!

Both similar tags.

#1 has stronger circular composition, but the colour work is sloppy. Oranges feel burnt and are a bit patchy. Erasing that bubble C4D across the arm would help with cleaning up the piece as well. #2 keeps to a more gentle colour contrast, in orange and blue rather than with violet (which is an incredibly strong colour that I'd use with restraint). Fractal in the hand in #2 is unnecessary, but in general, the lighting's accurate.

Vote for #2 overall.

Basically the best tag you've ever made versus the best tag he's ever made.

Regardless of the outcome you should both proud of the immense improvement. 

1)VOOKnnD.png   

2) VVMfChL.png

Before I give my vote I'll just say that this is probably the most 50/50 I've ever been on deciding between two piece.

They're both good, but some technical issues impede them from being great.

Most notably on #1, the way how the color is actually put together on the piece looks good at first glance but when you analyse it further you can see where the orange meets the purple, which makes it apparent where the soft brush was used. Merely soft brushing for color/lighting isn't really going to cut it, you have to also blend and erase to get it looking right, this takes time and can't be rushed. 

In regards to color production, #2 is pretty much the opposite, the color is cleanly applied for the most part, if you look closely you can see highlights of blue/red on the armor applied with a 1-2px brush, it isn't perfectly executed but I can appreciate the effort there. In terms of color placement #2's less exciting, left = red, right = blue, it's been done before and done better. Overall, colors are good in both, but still have their flaws, 1# is slightly better though if only for the placement. 

In regards to flow and depth #1 is infinitely better. A piece could have good flow and depth respectively but when the two work together in the piece, dope shit happens. I definitely think you could have added shadows in areas to better direct the flow, motion blurs/liquefying could have assisted as well. #2 has little to no flow and the depth feels very synthetic, merely blurring the bg and some c4d's isn't the way to gain depth. Generally speaking, it's just quite stationary as opposed to #1 which feels very dynamic.

As far as fx placement and space management goes, #1 adequately uses the canvas whilst #2 feels empty even with the fx spam.

The fact that you still aren't cleaning your fucking pieces is legitimately the only thing keeping you from fully improving.

This fucks up the flow and looks like ass:

2992fab2e748fffd40fd493bc6f04c31.png

This shouldn't clip over the focal's head:

baea87dce99e23a903a4f3502e1a9ca8.png

In #2 this is apparently supposed to be a gun?: 

f0de2c4a31489191adcef46deda0fae1.png nothing should ever be this sharp.

This fractal doesn't produce light onto the focal or the bg, erase it:

8a3126a84fe397477c73f25741222203.png

Clean your shit please.

I could pretty much go on but I've already done enough of that, both are good, #1 only slightly gets my vote, keep it up. 

50/50 for both but lets see

1:

— the cut on the hand that's holding the fan is disturbing the tag

— ratio of full to empty is way off, everything is set on the left side while nothing on the right side

— composition needs work, where are the effects floating to?

— render/render size isn't great

— forced depth

+ utmost left side of the tag is brilliant (the bubble + fan only)

+ not bad atmosphere

2:

— Composition needs work. C4d's aren't going against or the same way the render is going. Is it a centric comp or an eccentric? or is it a rectangular system? Golden ratio? what is it based on?

— Canvas size doesn't work with the artwork. You need to increase the right side or the downward height.

— some parts are over expose

— Some LQ fractals (or whatever they are) here and there

— Cut of the C4D on the top is bother the whole tag

+ Good perspective. I like how the camera view is from above

+ Good highlights, some parts are off but generally it's good

I'm going for tag 2 simply because the flow is a bit better than the previous one. This has movement unlike the first.

— Composition needs work. C4d's aren't going against or the same way the render is going. Is it a centric comp or an eccentric? or is it a rectangular system? Golden ratio? what is it based on?

Composition's clearly in a golden ratio, isn't it?

ndmwz6.png

Anyway, Ali pretty much summed it up though. #2 nudges it out.

1) bUxgitp.png

2) 1IY8URu.png

This batch isn't as good as the first tbh, a little disappointing in that regard.

Try envisioning #1 with a different render, or even without one and you'll quickly realize that the render choice is rather abysmal in this scenario.  

Try envisioning #2 without the fx spam and overlapping c4d's that disrupt the otherwise solid flow. 

I've noticed a pattern in both of these actually;

This batch's #1 = render / atmo stock / foreground bubbles / blurred background bubbles / empty right side

Last batch's #2 = render / atmo stock / foreground bubbles / blurred background bubbles / empty left side

Round 1 #1 / Round 2 #2 guy, you're using the canvas well, your placement's solid, couple that with your flow/depth combo and it makes for a genuinely strong piece, capitalize on that whilst improving your weak points.

Lighting's really artificial in #1 but #2's is just horrendously displeasing, the sharpness/fx spam/pale color combo is fucking you over.

The rain effect in #1 provides decent atmo but the execution isn't fully there, I would have loved to see something more impressive. 

Remarkably still very 50/50 but again it goes back to what I said about the last one, dynamic tags will always out-preform those that are static. In that regard #2 seems to have his shit down. 

That being said, #1 is the more aesthetically pleasing piece however technically speaking #2 gets the vote. 

2 gmv, keep it up.

Archived