R.I.P. Saturday Morning Cartoons

thanonyx

Well boys and girls a piece of our childhoods has died today. This morning the CW Saturday cartoon block Vortexx made it's final broadcast. It was the last Saturday morning cartoon block still airing and now it's gone. Saturday morning cartoons are now a thing of the past so I ask you this. How do you feel about this turn of events and why do you think it came to this? Also, what were your favorite Saturday morning cartoons growing up? I have a lot of cartoons I could think of but I will just list some of my favorites.

1. Yu-Gi-Oh!

2. Freakazoid

3. Pokemon

4. Teen Titans

5. Animaniacs

Well that was something I never heard of, and for kids will are growing up now willing to see something good on broadcasted TV...I do feel sorry for them. THese cartoons really do give some things to look forward to and enjoy to start off further interests.

Pretty sure other stations will try to bring back and manage some cartoon and anime series back on but, I guess for now it's a nostalgic thing. I mean after those messages, they'll be right back......right?

I had a ton of cartoons growing up. 

Back in the 90s I remember I used to be taken to Catechism, and when I got back I'd always find these obscure cartoons. One of Jumanji, Casper, Rem & Stimpy, and IDK how the other cartoon was called, one about a blue dog and an orange cat... 

Plus Doraemon, Heidi, Saint Seiya, Candy Candy, Dragon Ball (when Goku was a kid), Dragon Quest, Sailor Moon, Magic Knight Rayearth, Samurai Pizza Cats, and Dr Slump. Half of these I don't remember too well, but some of them were awesome.

Entering early 2000s was probably my favorite times. Nickelodeon had a block with Yugioh, Invader Zim, and Martin Mystery. Never missed any of them. Also, an English-speaking channel (I live in Mexico btw) had Jackie Chan's Adventures, Pokemon & Digimon episodes that Mexico did not yet get at the time (even though I think Digimon sucks in English compared to the Latin American dub, with the Digi-rap and other stuff like that, but hey, it was new episodes). Also, don't laugh but I watched Totally Spies at I think was Fox Kids.

Oh and almost forgot, Static Shock. I watched that.

Other stuff like DBZ, Nicktoons, Cartoon Cartoons, and a ton of other known shows, I watched during weekdays so they aren't here for me.

Deviating away a fair bit from the weekend topic though, I watched Chin Chan, Cardcaptor Sakura, Ranma 1/2, Inuyasha, Corrector Yui, all either hidden while no one was looking, or at insane hours like 1am to 4am. Rurouni Kenshin didn't attract me as a kid, but when I saw it later in High School I wished I had watched it when I was a kid. Same thing with Teen Titans. I grew up with stuff like the 90's X-Men, Spiderman, and Batman, which looked all detailed and serious and stuff... so Teen Titans' style would put me off. Though nowadays I like it, and know better than to judge by how something looks. Not that they look bad since I've noticed action scenes flow better with this style and I've grown to like it.

I don't know how I managed all this and want some of that lost knowledge that makes a day feel like it has 96 hours.

I can see how it'd be a thing from the past since TV in general feels like its gonna be a thing of the past at some point, but there's a certain charm that makes it so memorable about waking up at unholy hours to catchy your favorite show that you've been hunting down, or even at regular daily hours. It's not as convenient as the internet, but I have fond memories of what I used to watch, and the way I did it, personally.

I think its too early to say "OMG Saturday cartoons are dead" because as long as somebody wants them, they'll come back somewhere. Especially since my generation, the kids from the 90s is still around, and a lot of us are very nostalgic about our entertainment during childhood. It'll take a little while for that to die.

I had a ton of cartoons growing up. 

Back in the 90s I remember I used to be taken to Catechism, and when I got back I'd always find these obscure cartoons. One of Jumanji, Casper, Rem & Stimpy, and IDK how the other cartoon was called, one about a blue dog and an orange cat... 

Plus Doraemon, Heidi, Saint Seiya, Candy Candy, Dragon Ball (when Goku was a kid), Dragon Quest, Sailor Moon, Magic Knight Rayearth, Samurai Pizza Cats, and Dr Slump. Half of these I don't remember too well, but some of them were awesome.

Entering early 2000s was probably my favorite times. Nickelodeon had a block with Yugioh, Invader Zim, and Martin Mystery. Never missed any of them. Also, an English-speaking channel (I live in Mexico btw) had Jackie Chan's Adventures, Pokemon & Digimon episodes that Mexico did not yet get at the time (even though I think Digimon sucks in English compared to the Latin American dub, with the Digi-rap and other stuff like that, but hey, it was new episodes). Also, don't laugh but I watched Totally Spies at I think was Fox Kids.

Oh and almost forgot, Static Shock. I watched that.

Other stuff like DBZ, Nicktoons, Cartoon Cartoons, and a ton of other known shows, I watched during weekdays so they aren't here for me.

Deviating away a fair bit from the weekend topic though, I watched Chin Chan, Cardcaptor Sakura, Ranma 1/2, Inuyasha, Corrector Yui, all either hidden while no one was looking, or at insane hours like 1am to 4am. Rurouni Kenshin didn't attract me as a kid, but when I saw it later in High School I wished I had watched it when I was a kid. Same thing with Teen Titans. I grew up with stuff like the 90's X-Men, Spiderman, and Batman, which looked all detailed and serious and stuff... so Teen Titans' style would put me off. Though nowadays I like it, and know better than to judge by how something looks. Not that they look bad since I've noticed action scenes flow better with this style and I've grown to like it.

I don't know how I managed all this and want some of that lost knowledge that makes a day feel like it has 96 hours.

I can see how it'd be a thing from the past since TV in general feels like its gonna be a thing of the past at some point, but there's a certain charm that makes it so memorable about waking up at unholy hours to catchy your favorite show that you've been hunting down, or even at regular daily hours. It's not as convenient as the internet, but I have fond memories of what I used to watch, and the way I did it, personally.

I think its too early to say "OMG Saturday cartoons are dead" because as long as somebody wants them, they'll come back somewhere. Especially since my generation, the kids from the 90s is still around, and a lot of us are very nostalgic about our entertainment during childhood. It'll take a little while for that to die.

The cartoon with the blue dog and orange cat was called Shnookums and Meat.

I too feel the pain. You're not the only one. I used to watch Winx Club, the 80's version of TMNT, Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Tiny Toon Adventures, etc.

The cartoon with the blue dog and orange cat was called Shnookums and Meat.

I too feel the pain. You're not the only one. I used to watch Winx Club, the 80's version of TMNT, Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Tiny Toon Adventures, etc.

OMG xD
I don't think even now that I know English and am smarter in general would I be able to retain that name in my memory. 

I'm very amazed right now that someone was able to tell me the name of that cartoon o.o"

I mean, I don't ever remember if it was a good show or what it was about, or if I actually liked it or just watched it for the hell of it, but damn....

There were three vignites: Adventures of Shnookums and Meat which has no plot just random funniness, Pith Possum, Superdynamic Possum of Tomorrow, also, no plot but hero saves the day. The only thing that does have a plot was the third vignite, Tex Tinstar, the Best in the West. Oh and he show was called The Shnookums and Meat Funny Cartoon Show. Info is found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shnookums_and_Meat_Funny_Cartoon_Show

I do my research.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived