[Card Discussion] Sword Mistress of Phantasm

Maeriberii Haan

216405.jpg

2 level 4 Monsters
When this card is Xyz Summoned successfully: you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Send 1 card on the field to the Graveyard. Once per turn: you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to target 1 face-up Monster on the field; this turn, the targeted card cannot be removed from the field.

Note that the last effect is not a quick-play.

One of the better custom Xyz monsters, imo. It's functionally pretty similar with Silent Honors ARK, but this one's more versatile with its protection, with an arguably weaker removal.

But yeah. It's similar to SH ARK, basically.

Discuss?

Oh hey, easily accessible non-targeting removal (though it does pitch to grave). Pretty good card, though sometimes I'd still prefer SHARK over this (which is a good thing!). They're good against different things. Might be a bit pressed for Extra Deck space to include both, even; this card's second effect is probably quite a bit better than ARK's of preventing itself from dying though.

I agree: one of the best DP Rank4s.

The way I see it, Sword Mistress sits somewhere between Castel and S.H.Ark: Like the former, she can remove Spell/Traps as well as monsters, and like the latter, it comes with 2100 ATK and a protection effect. This definitely gives her a niche, like when you want a Castel but really need that +100 ATK and/or attack more safely.

Oh hey it's a Youmu. ((inb4 'of phantasm' archetype))

I didn't quite read what other (serious) custom cards tend to do, but in relation to the orginal Yugioh cards, the current cards are on a level of their 'defensive' effects have the clauses "Cannot be targeted / destroyed by battle / card effects" (can be either or both, depending on the card) , "When this card is destroyed by battle or card effect" / "... by your opponent's card (by battle or by a card effect" (obviously, this one is even quite old), "When this card is sent to the graveyard / Banished Pile"  , and, the arguably strongest of them all - "When this card is removed from the field / leaves the field" . 

Now this card here can definitely get past the first two clauses, as it doesn't really specify 'target' with the first effect (or does it?) , and it doesn't destroy, but send stuff to the graveyard, but it does still trigger the last two. It's not a bad thing, since countering all of the four perfectly would mean an overpowered card. But a little comment - Oh will Absolute Zero laugh at this card. It would have to use at least one of its materials just to keep one monster on the player's side of the field alive (preferably it choosing itself, because who would use a remove-from-field effect on Absolute Zero, unless they have a very carefully crafted plan)... if they don't have their own defenses, at least.

As for some offensive effects cards nowadays use ( 'what atrocities could happen to a card' ) , is 'destroy' (obviously, but recent cards either nuke the whole field, or find a target to do some other thing to, and not destruction) , 'Banish' , and 'return from field to hand / deck' (people seem to like to use 'return to hand' effects on extra deck monsters...). 

Not leaving the field by a card effect for a turn is a nice idea for a defensive effect, as it does stand against pretty much all of the effect categories. ... but 'stand against' and 'counter' are two different things. once again, not that it's bad, it means that the card is not overpowered. It could very well beat Exciton with its attack power, but facing things like Judgement Dragon with this wouldn't go that well. At least not this alone. The Absolute Zero nuke (mentioned for the second time here, even though Raigeki is at 1 now) would leave one monster on the player's field. (I don't want to start talking about Hieratics, I'm not that knowledgable in that archetype.) 

Now, comparing to SHARK and Castel:

Yea, it has more ATK than Castel, but Castel doesn't trigger the 'when this card is sent (from the field) to the graveyard'. It does get blocked by 'cannot be targeted' though. The ATK though makes it harder to run over by stuff like Cyber Dragon... or even Photon Crusher (I believe it was?) , although I don't know about the chances of the later actually happening (the Photon gets used as material for their own Xyz, etc.) . Also Castel has no defense effects.

SHARK... is the only one here not triggering Absolute Zero (Together with SHDARK, but technically same monster, unless someone got 3 level 5 water monsters?) . It does have to target though, and it has to be a special summoned monster, in attack position. So things like Superheavy Samurai (especially Susanoo) can laugh at SHARK all day.

Well... that was long, but tell me what do you think? (I hope I wasn't saying anything stupid, as I'm just a casual player.)

Archived