[Archetype] Moonlight

Cirrus

An archetype based around acquiring negation for its own effects. Presence of top-tier DP archetypes requested in playtesting.

[spoiler=DARK Warriors]

Moonlight Knight
月影騎士
ムーンライト・ナイト
Level 4 - DARK - Warrior/Effect - 1900/800
During your opponent's turn, this card's Attribute becomes LIGHT and its effects are negated, While this card's effects are negated, it gains 300 ATK (this effect cannot be negated). If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can destroy 1 card your opponent controls; your opponent can destroy 1 card you control.

Moonlight Huntress
月影狩女
ムーンライト・ハントレス
Level 3 - DARK - Warrior/Effect - 1500/900
During your opponent's turn, this card's Attribute becomes LIGHT and its effects are negated, While this card's effects are negated, it gains 300 ATK (this effect cannot be negated). When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: You can banish up to 2 cards from your opponent's Graveyard; if you do, your opponent can banish up to the same number from your Graveyard.

Moonlight Fencer
月影剣客
ムーンライト・フェンサー
Level 3 - DARK - Warrior/Effect - 1600/1000
During your opponent's turn, this card's Attribute becomes LIGHT and its effects are negated. While this card's effects are negated, it gains 300 ATK (this effect cannot be negated). This card's Battle Position cannot be changed by card effects. When this card declares an attack: You can change 1 monster your opponent controls to face-down Defense Position; if you do, your opponent can change 1 monster you control to face-down Defense Position.

Moonlight Brawler
月影豪傑
ムーンライト・ブロウラー
Level 4 - DARK - Warrior/Effect - 1700/1900
During your opponent's turn, this card's Attribute becomes LIGHT and its effects are negated. While this card's effects are negated, it gains 300 ATK (this effect cannot be negated). This card inflicts Piercing damage. If this card battles an opponent's monster: You can discard 1 card at random from your opponent's hand; if you do, your opponent discards 1 card at random from your hand.

[/spoiler]

sWtDEhT.png

[spoiler=LIGHT Spellcasters]

Moonlight Sorcerer
月影魔道士
ムーンライト・ソーサラー
Level 4 - LIGHT - Spellcaster/Effect - 1800/1000
If this card's effects would be negated, they are not negated. During the End Phase, if this card was sent to your Graveyard this turn: Draw 1 card. While this face-up card's effects would be negated, this card gains 400 ATK, becomes DARK, and its effect becomes "You can Tribute this card, then target 1 Set card your opponent controls; banish it."

Moonlight Illusionist
月影幻想師
ムーンライト・イリュージョニスト
Level 3 - LIGHT - Spellcaster/Effect - 1600/1200
If this card's effects would be negated, they are not negated. When this card is Normal Summoned: Add 1 "Moonlight" Spell or Trap card from your Deck to your hand. While this face-up card's effects would be negated, this card gains 400 ATK, becomes DARK, and its effect becomes "Your opponent cannot target "Moonlight" monsters you control for attacks or effects, except this card."

Moonlight Summoner
月影召喚師
ムーンライト・サモナー
Level 4 - LIGHT - Spellcaster/Effect - 1500/1500
If this card's effects would be negated, they are not negated. Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 level 4 or lower "Moonlight" monster from your Graveyard, except "Moonlight Summoner"; its effects are negated, also it is destroyed at the end of the turn. While this face-up card's effects would be negated, this card gains 400 ATK, becomes DARK, and its effect becomes "If this card is sent from the Field to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Moonlight" monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Moonlight Summoner" once per turn."

Moonlight Recluse
月影隠者
ムーンライト・リクルース
Level 3 - LIGHT - Spellcaster/Effect - 1400/2000
If this card's effects would be negated, they are not negated. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can target 1 "Moonlight" monster you control; negate its effects until the end of the turn. While this face-up card's effects would be negated, this card gains 400 ATK, becomes DARK, and its effect becomes "Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can target 1 "Moonlight" card you control; until the end of turn, it is unaffected by other card effects."

Moonlight Modulator
月影変調師
ムーンライト・モジュレータ
Level 3 - LIGHT - Spellcaster/Tuner - 1300/700
If this card's effects would be negated, they are not negated. If you control a face-up "Moonlight" monster: You can discard a card from your hand; Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard. You can only use this effect of "Moonlight Modulator" once per turn. While this face-up card's effects would be negated, this card gains 400 ATK, becomes DARK, and its effect becomes "Once per turn: You can target 1 "Moonlight" monster on the field; its level becomes 3 or 4."

[/spoiler]

sWtDEhT.png

[spoiler=Extra Deck Monsters]

Moonlight Librarian
月影司書
ムーンライト・ライブラリアン
Rank 4 - LIGHT - Spellcaster/Xyz - 2200/1700
2 Level 4 "Moonlight" monsters
If this card's effects would be negated, they are not negated. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; return 1 "Moonlight" card from your Graveyard to your hand, and if you do, send 1 "Moonlight" card from your hand to the Graveyard. While this face-up card's effects would be negated, this card gains 400 ATK, becomes DARK, and its effect becomes "Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; discard 1 "Moonlight" card, and if you do, add 1 "Moonlight" card from your Deck to your hand."

Moonlight Blademaster
月影刀君
ムーンライト・ブレードマスター
Rank 3 - DARK - Warrior/Xyz - 2400/1000
2 Level 3 DARK monsters
During your opponent's turn, this card's Attribute becomes LIGHT and its effects are negated. While this card's effects are negated, it gains 300 ATK (this effect cannot be negated). Monsters that have their effects negated cannot be banished. When this card attacks or is attacked: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then banish up to 1 monster your opponent controls; if you do, your opponent banishes up to 1 non-LIGHT monster you control, except this card. You can only use this effect of "Moonlight Blademaster" once per turn.

Moonlight Archangel
月影大天使
ムーンライト・アークエンジェル
Level 7 - LIGHT - Fairy/Synchro - 2600/1800
1 Tuner monster + 1 or more "Moonlight" non-Tuner monsters
If this card's effects would be negated, they are not negated. Once per turn, during either player's turn: Negate the effects of all "Moonlight" monsters you control, until the end of the turn. While this face-up card's effects would be negated, this card gains 400 ATK, becomes DARK, and its effect becomes "If this card inflicts Battle Damage to an opponent, choose and activate one of the following effects: • Your opponent discards 1 card. • Draw 1 card."

Moonlight Wanderer
月影放浪者
ムーンライト・トレッカー
Level 6 - DARK - Fiend/Fusion - 2500/1500
1 DARK Warrior-Type monster + 1 LIGHT Spellcaster-Type monster
Must first be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by Tributing the above cards you control. (You do not use "Polymerization".) During your opponent's turn, this card's effects are negated. When this card declares an attack: Cards and effects cannot be activated until the end of the Damage Step. While this face-up card's effects would be negated, this card gains 300 ATK, and its effect becomes "Once per turn, during either player's turn: Choose 1 face-up Spell or Trap Card on the field; until the end of the turn, this card is unaffected by the card effects with the chosen card's name." (this effect cannot be negated).

[/spoiler]

sWtDEhT.png

[spoiler=Spells]

Moonlight Flare
月影輝
ムーンライト・フレアー
Normal Spell
Target 1 face-up "Moonlight" monster you control: Negate its effects until the end of the turn. During the End Phase of the turn this card was activated, if the targeted monster is still face-up on the field: Add 1 "Moonlight" card from your Deck to your hand, except "Moonlight Flare". You can only activate 1 "Moonlight Flare" per turn.

Full Moon Balance
望月秤
フル・ムーン・バランス
Quick-Play Spell
Activate only if you control face-up DARK and LIGHT monster(s). Banish 1 card your opponent controls, and if you do, banish 1 DARK or LIGHT monster you control, then draw 1 card.

Unraveling Moonlight
解明月影
アンラベリング・ムーンライト
Quick-Play Spell
Activate only by choosing a face-up "Moonlight" monster you control, then apply one of the following effects:
   - If its effects are negated or would be negated: Target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; change that target to face-down Defense Position.
   - It cannot be destroyed by battle until the end of the turn, also negate its effects.

Moonlight Shroud
月影死衣
ムーンライト・シュラウド
Quick-Play Spell
Activate only by choosing 1 card you control and 1 card your opponent controls. Your opponent chooses one of the following effects to be applied:
   - If one is removed from the field this turn, banish the other.
   - Negate the effects of both, and until the end of the turn, they are unaffected by other card effects.

[/spoiler]

sWtDEhT.png

[spoiler=Traps]

Moonlight Eclipse
月影月食
ムーンライト・クリプス
Normal Trap
Reveal 1 "Moonlight" card in your hand. Negate the effects of all face-up monster(s), until the end of the turn.

Moonlight Assault
月影突撃
ムーンライト・アサルト
Normal Trap
Activate only during the Battle Phase, if you control a face-up "Moonlight" monster. Until the end of the turn, "Moonlight" monsters you control gain 600 ATK. Apply one of the following effects:
   - If a LIGHT monster you control battles an opponent's monster this turn, after damage calculation: You can target 1 monster on the field; return it to the hand.
   - If a DARK monster you control destroys a monster by battle this turn: Special Summon 1 level 4 or lower "Moonlight" monster from your Graveyard, but it cannot attack this turn and its effects are negated.

[/spoiler]

sWtDEhT.png

Notes:
- Quickplays that do not state a negation time window are indeed permanent. Unfortunately this also means Shroud can't protect the Field Spell but that's not a bad thing.
- Balance isn't an archetype card. (For this reason and how dependent on setup it is, I run 0 copies)
- Blademaster is actually pretty hard to make ...
- I have never actually gotten to play Wanderer in the 5 games that I played. I'm not sure if it's even necessary and it's certainly not easy but I'll keep it for now.

Things on the agenda:
- Sorcerer draw OPT?
- Modulator too good? (Not significantly used atm, but Distill already recycles ... I don't like the idea of this kind of speed functioning under Drain. Not sure how OP it actually is, but eh, it's repeatable. Maybe CyDra or just no monsters clause would work.)
- Blademaster doesn't detach Xyz Mats? (Doesn't actually make much of a difference since it shouldn't survive long enough to battle 3+ times anyway, but ... )

Other issues are more minor and may be dealt with at a later date, depending on power levels.

Just from looking at it, the archetype appear to be too overwhelming.

First, they are either immune to Effect negation, or benefit from being negated; either way, the opponent won't be using Breakthrough, Fiendish Chain, Veiler and other similar disruption cards on them.

Then, there are some cards like Sorcerer and Summoner that can potentially generate doble pluses. For instance, Summoner revives a monster, fine; but if you negate itd effect and then go for a Synchro by using Modulator, then you get a search. So not only you made a "1-card" Synchro Summon, but also generated a search from it.

I think the ATK values of Knight and Brawler are too high for Normal Summonable monsters with such disruptive effects. Yes, technically it is a 1-for-1, but when you can trade your Knight for an opponent's ED monster or boss, then it is no longer balanced.

By the way, the LIGHT monsters have the following clause:

"If this card's effects would be negated, they are not negated."

But then have something like this:

"While this face-up card's effects would be negated, [inster effect here]"

How is that supposed to work? If their effects cannot be negated because of the first clause, when will the effect with the second clause go off?

You cannot trade Knight without first killing something by battle. Brawler's ATK is at 2000 after boost, and also requires actually battling a monster (instead of, you know, Don Zaloog and Spirit Reaper hitting for damage, which is slightly different). All the DARK Warrior-Type monsters have mediocre effects without them being negated, and the only reason they get an attack boost (instead of slightly higher stats and an attack reduction) is because memory + feel + design, basically. Feel free to suggest a more elegant solution. (The first version had an ATK decrease after negation, since they got more beneficial effects ... but that doesn't sit too right with my inner MtG player.)

While their effects would be treated as negated, even though they are not (because of the first clause), their second effect replaces their first effect. Thus, under negation, Illusionist and Summoner - the two speedy cards of the archetype - cannot utilize their better effect.

Sorcerer's design is unfortunately intentional, so aside from the mentioned OPT clause its first part of design (draw a card when it gets pitched from anywhere) is not about to change much. The banish a facedown effect might be too strong, but if it didn't banish then bad bad things would happen - although I suppose it being used to kill S/Ts most of the time wouldn't be a /bad/ thing. It looks like Summoner -> Modulator is incredible on paper, but I've never actually seen it being played, simply because the deck has better things to do with its time / not enough searches to get Modulator over Sorcerer ... because of this (and how good that play does sound), the secondary effect of Summoner seems extraneous so I s'pose I can cut it to just itself dying.

There are many dream combos you can make, but the deck's only okay at setting them up at a reasonable speed. I feel like the dearth of defensive Traps makes my life easier than it should be.

... Maybe I can make Sorcerer like Darksoul and draw in the End Phase. That way it doesn't have an OPT but is also not dumb when being power-played with Librarian. Also just not making the DARK monsters self-negate during opponent's turn (and thus opening them up to being (ab)used by the opponent) is a possibility.

Sorcerer's design is unfortunately intentional, so aside from the mentioned OPT clause it's not about to change much ... the banish a facedown effect might be too strong, but if it didn't banish then bad bad things would happen. Although it looks like Summoner -> Modulator is incredible on paper, I've never actually seen it being played, simply because the deck has better things to do with its time / not enough searches to get Modulator over Sorcerer ... because of this, the secondary effect of Summoner has never seen actual play, so I s'pose I can just restrict it to itself dying.

What kind of bad things?

Anyways, the condition of Sorcerer's draw effect is too flexible: it will trigger when discarded, milled, detached, etc. You know how BAs trigger whenever they hit the grave? yeah, Sorcerer is at a similar level. I suggest to nerf this condition (eg, when send from field to grave) but if you don't want, the least you can do is to put a hard OPT on it.

Bad things like Shadolls getting their effects, BA getting their effects, et cetera ... the graveyard abuse kind of bad thing. Destruction is overrated because trading advantage doesn't exist any more. (Ok this is an exaggeration but that was the original intention.)

So, instead of going for the "destroy" mechanic and being punished by floaters/cards that trigger when destroyed, you choose to banish so you can comfortably play around those effects? I think that's unfair. As the RC Design Guide, as well as other players, have pointed out, "banish" is a strong mechanic and shouldn't be overused or given to cards just because "you may as well", even if Konami does it.

"Full Moon Balance" banishes too but at least it requires 1 LIGHT and 1 DARK to work, although it shouldn't be difficult to set up in certain decks.

I chose banish because it's a card that's supposed to punish floaters in a deck that's designed to play a resource grind game, and my original target of competition was the current metagame. Whether the banishing effect of Sorcerer - which only hits facedowns - is too good remains to be seen, and I have only partial faith when using the tenets of typically good design to judge balance (as playtesting reveals a lot more weaknesses than just deliberating about how OP a card sounds).

It's actually possible that it could hit face-up monsters or face-down S/Ts instead, and then I'd have no problems making it destroy ... but I don't see that being an amazing solution.

If this archetype is designed for TCG metagame, then perhaps you should take the thread to the "Advanced Section". From what I have noticed, with the exception of a couple of decks, DP is not as aggressive as TCG, plus some of us have agreed to avoid designing decks as strong as the current TCG (at the level of Qlips, BAs, etc.), and thus effects like banishment removal end up as an overkill.

Well, yes, that's why I toned my cards down and am in the process of toning more of them down slightly. But it's not -much- less cutthroat and I am still worried about floaters currently; hence my statement about playtesting (if Sorcerer is too strong, I'll nerf the removal, probably to send to grave).

I'm a bit surprised you didn't mention Blademaster actually. I'm actively taking suggestions for that card.

To be honest, I only took a look at the Main Deck monsters and Spells. But looking at the Extra Deck:

Blademaster

It's ATK is too high for a Rank3 (Yes, Dante reaches 2500, but that's the powercreep for you; then again, this was designed for the current TCG so 2400 could be considered fair in that metagame). Then, it banishes whenever it battles, and if you don't control any LIGHT, and chances are that you won't, it is a one-sided banishment. And I already shared my thoughts on banishment removal. Perhaps it would actually be fair on this one because it is an Extra Deck monster available only to DARK Level3s (although BAs having access to this would be scary).

I should have a detach effect. As you pointed out, it may not get the chance to use its effect more than twice, but it is still a balancing factor.

Librarian

This one looks fine. A hand fixer, more than anything and potential graveyard setter, apparently.

Archangel

Another fair card in my opinion, Generates a +1 every turn like the standard boss monster, plus it negates your monsters for free to set off their effects The latter may be a problem because if gives the LIGHT Main Deck monsters access to their second effects, but you need to have them on the field first anyways.

Wanderer

A contact Fusion, huh? This one looks like pushing it too far. Not only is an Armades, but also technically a Shi-En during the opponent's turn that can also deal with floodgates, and Shi-En was Limited for a reason.

FWIW I've never made Wanderer because it requires both your cards to be non-negated, which is extremely rare. But yeah just not having it doesn't actually affect the archetype, so I'm not personally particularly motivated to get any ideas to change it over simply cutting it ... suggestions welcome.

If you control a Blademaster, it fights alone. It actually banishes all Attributes except for LIGHT monsters, but at the same time I'd like it to be able to banish a monster that I control even if it is negated, to preserve the first part of my statement. The input on Xyz Material has been noted and will likely be added (soontm).

From playing against this archetype, while it can do do some things, it certainly has its own struggles. Most notably, it relies on "This card to that card", which can really hurt if something like Debunk or any Spell/Trap negation gets to it (Hence me and Crystal Sealing), and it can't get over bigger monsters without some help. Librarian, Fencer, and Sorcerer are all fantastic cards, but they certainly does not hold its own against the amount of threats that will eventually fly towards them, especially when big ATK monsters like the ones coming from the Mirage Guardians, Trains, and Archlords to say the least. I'm not sure if I just have this bias because I fall under the category, but I feel that it certainly has its weaknesses as good as it sounds.

As for the cards and archetype as a whole, I find it interesting to have the first DARK and LIGHT archetype since Chaos Dragons, which ultimately became 2 Fast 2 Furious because of Future Fusion. While they were all about "Drop Everything", this seems more on the single handed side of maxing out of what you can get with 1 card, then move onto the next one. I like that because while it can generate a lot of advantage, you still have things to think about, which is generally good for the game. You have your Warriors, which give you a solid Battle Phase, and then you have your Spellcasters, which give you a great Main Phase.

Balance wise, Wanderer, like Voltex said, does a bit much. Although Shi En was limited because 2 can end the game in a flash, (See Void Ogre Dragon in Zombies) having that and Armades on a single card is always gonna be HUGE trouble to go up against. Since it doesn't help, you might as well cut it. Sorcerer might be too good for banishing a face-down rather than sending it to the Graveyard, also it doesn't target because of its current wording, which should be self explanatory why it is bad. (There is more than 1 reason why Moralltach and Spellbook of Fate are limited) The OPT would also be nice. Blademaster is also kinda scary, maybe make it so you have to detach 1 to activate, POSSIBLY requiring to have a Non-LIGHT on board, also make it require 2 DARK Warriors to prevent other archetypes from abusing it. (In the DP case, Sky Conquerors, who with the detach would be able to plus off of the banishing with a free summon) Other than that though, most of the cards either have an ideal situation or require some sort of interaction, which generally is a good thing. I look forward to facing this archetype more and seeing what it can do against other Decks.

Wanderer's effect has been retooled to preserve its ability to protect itself but be much less overbearing versus the opponent's S/Ts. Slight buff to statistics.

Sorcerer intentionally doesn't target with its current wording - although it doesn't promote interactivity, the resource it costs is the costlier kind (monster presence) and it's also not very fast; thus I'd like it to deal with backrow more efficiently than MST. THIS MAY CHANGE but probably I'll either make it target or make it not-banish, likely not both.

Blademaster tweaked to require detaching to activate its own effect. I am still on the fence about making it more specific with its materials than it currently is; I designed it to be an accessible enough option, but you raise a decent point.

Wanderer's effect has been retooled to preserve its ability to protect itself but be much less overbearing versus the opponent's S/Ts. Slight buff to statistics.

Sorcerer intentionally doesn't target with its current wording - although it doesn't promote interactivity, the resource it costs is the costlier kind (monster presence) and it's also not very fast; thus I'd like it to deal with backrow more efficiently than MST.

Blademaster tweaked to require detaching to activate its own effect. I am still on the fence about making it more specific with its materials than it currently is; I designed it to be an accessible enough option, but you raise a decent point.

Yeah, for the sake of your Deck, I wish it could be as accessible, but the problem is that the effect is really powerful and that with Tour Guide being a thing, some other Deck is destined to abuse it, whether it be someone who utilizes Scarm, or them Sky Conquerors with Vamp to Special on detach

No, I don't mean accessible with my deck ... I mean accessible with other decks >_> It's not easy to access currently and will be even harder if I did that, but I liked it as an option with TGU. The point about Sky Conquerors was something I noticed, though, yes. Maybe I'll put in the archetype restriction after all ... but keep the Attribute restriction.

I played against Trains and had quite a bit of trouble dealing with their beatsticks, even with the assistance of Skill Drain. The game was inconclusive because server crashed, but.

Nerfing Sorcerer to actually target; it's an advantageous play as is, so cutting away some invisible power is always good.

Desperately requires further testing against fast decks.

This deck behaves very very similarly to HAT in terms of its philosophy.

EDIT: Had 1.5 games vs a very quick deck; completely unable to setup without reliance on floodgate cards (the version I played had 0 Drain). I suppose Drain is actually vital to make sure the deck can actually keep pace with its opponent. Probably adjusting the materials for Blademaster (to 2 Level 3 archetype monsters instead) to allow for easier access; that or making another Rank 3.

Archived