[Archetype] Elysium! Clash with the Divine Dimension [12/13]

Marco Polo

DNTE-EN presents...

Preview_2.jpg

Elysium! Clash with the Divine Dimension

• Elysium's are a "Transmodify" archetype, that is played by stages and is greatly complemented by existing Fairy support. Each "Elysium's" monster has a role of its own that complements the others. 
  • The monsters are ranked by different levels, together composing a 'ladder', and complete each other by being played 1 after another.

Based of the Greek heaven "Elysium", each of the 'ladder' monsters represent the Guardians

of this heavenly dimension, and the lesser '0 DEF' ones are the lost souls wallowing in hell,

to be banished from heaven, or returned according to each guardians' will.

In a case of danger, the guardians can revert back to "Elysium" to protect their core forms.

These monsters come from their own dimension - where they rule, judge and bend whatever

opposes them.

Protegeo.jpg

FLIP: Return any number fo banished "Elysium's" monsters to the Graveyard, then, you can also destroy 1 face-up Spell/Trap Card.

➀ : If this card was sent to the Graveyard by a card effect: You can add 1 "Elysium's" monster from your Deck to your hand. 

➁ : If this card was banished: You can add 1 "Elysium" Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand.

Letsung.jpg

➀ : You can discard this card to the Graveyard; add 1 "Elysium's" monster from your Graveyard to your hand.

➁ : If this card was banished: You can send 1 "Elysium's" monster from your Deck to the Graveyard.

Calipse.jpg

➀ : During either player's turn, you can activate any of the following effects:

Banish this card. Special Summon it during the end of the turn.

• Banish 1 "Elysium's monster from your hand or Graveyard and target 1 card on the field; negate that target's effects. You can only use this effect of "Elysium's Calipse" once per turn

Bicerost.jpg

➀ : When this card is Summoned: You can destroy all face-up cards whose effects are negated.

➁ : During either player's turn, you can activate the following effect:

• Banish this card. During the end of the turn: You can banish 1 "Elysium's" monster from your hand or Graveyard; Special Summon this card.

Scythan.jpg

➀ : Once per turn: You can banish 1 monster in your opponent's Graveyard: this card's ATK becomes equal to the banished monster's ATK until the end of the turn.

• Banish this card. Special Summon it during the end of the turn.

Oberyn.jpg

➀ : At the start of the Damage Step, if this card attacked an opponent's monster: Negate that monster's effects and destroy it. Its effects in the Graveyard are negated.

• Tribute this card; Special Summon 1 "Elysium's" monster from your Deck or Banished Zone.

Toadshrine.jpg

➀ : If this card was Normal Summoned: You can Tribute it; add 1 "Elysium's" monster from your Deck to your hand.

➁ : If you control no monsters, and the only monsters in your Graveyard are "Elysium's" monsters: You can Special Summon this banished card. If you do, banish it during the end of the turn (even if it is no longer face-up on the field).

Embodiment.jpg

Cannot be Summoned, except by its own effect. 

➀ : You can activate this card as a Field Spell Card.

➁ : While you have "Elysium" monsters in your Banished Zone and no other monsters on the field, this card is unaffected by other card effects.

: If this card is treated as a Field Spell: You can banish 3 "Elysium's" monsters from your Graveyard; Special Summon this card.

Mask.jpg

This card is also treated as an "Elysium" Spell Card.

➀ : Equip to a face-up monster, its effects are negated and it cannot be used as XYZ Material.

➁ : When this card is sent to the Graveyard: Add 1 "Elysium's" monster from either your Deck or your Banished Zone to your hand.

Pandora.jpg

This card is also treated as an "Elysium" Spell Card. You can only activate "Pandora's Chest" once per turn. 

➀ : Activate only if you control no face-up "Elysium's" monsters. Special Summon 1 of your Level 4 or higher banished "Elysium's" monsters. Send that monster to the Graveyard during the end of the turn (even if it is no longer on the field).

Incarnation.jpg

This card is also treated as an "Elysium" Spell Card. 

➀ : Target 1 "Elysium's" monster you control and send it to the Graveyard and Special Summon 1 "Elysium's" monster from your Deck that is 1 Level higher.

Weaving.jpg

This card is also treated as an "Elysium" Trap Card. 

➀ : Activate 1 of the following effects:

• Target any number of monsters on the field, up to the number of your banished "Elysium" monsters; negate their effects until the end of the turn.

• Target 1 "Elysium" monster you control and 1 monster your opponent controls; change the Battle Position of your monster and banish your opponent's monster.

DNTE?:

DNTE, is a DP Booster Pack that introduces "Elysium" and 1 other archetype to the table, as well as various generic cards, or additional support for preceding archetypes.

@Original template by Grezar, albiet edited and tweaked.

:-)

Original art? I like Oberyn, but I think the negation persisting in the Graveyard gets clunky to remember and is generally not pretty design. Having it persist until the end of the turn or the start of your next turn should be generally enough in most circumstances (the latter case is obviously better than the former). Having played against this archetype, I thought it was quite interesting and generally pretty balanced, and the cards don't seem to contradict this. I recommend more strenuous playtesting, however, as the unrivaled disruptiveness of Calipse is very very carefully counterbalanced against its weak statistics. One possible point of annoyance is perhaps the ability to field multiple Calipse and thus render your opponent unable to play the game.

Original art? I like Oberyn, but I think the negation persisting in the Graveyard gets clunky to remember and is generally not pretty design. Having it persist until the end of the turn or the start of your next turn should be generally enough in most circumstances (the latter case is obviously better than the former). Having played against this archetype, I thought it was quite interesting and generally pretty balanced, and the cards don't seem to contradict this. I recommend more strenuous playtesting, however, as the unrivaled disruptiveness of Calipse is very very carefully counterbalanced against its weak statistics. One possible point of annoyance is perhaps the ability to field multiple Calipse and thus render your opponent unable to play the game.

That's ironic because after playtesting against them I said the set (as a whole) was balance bar Calipse and Protegao. Calipse turns everything vanilla and it stays that way forever. Its honestly worse than having all of your things destroyed. If its a continuous spell or trap you just have a s/t locked if its a monster hopefully you can beat over it, well you can't because it rabbit/thunderbirds away...so you're just S.O.L. and that gets to be pretty irksome.

Protegao well as long as it goes somewhere not in grave you plus. Sure it makes up for the fact their whole gimmick is about -1 quick play leveling up but once you combine Protegao and Calipse then you just keep generating advantage for yourself. 

I remember Oberyn used to thunderbird as well...glad it doesn't anymore. Like stated before a negation should have the time limit. The same goes for Calipse. 

I stated all this when I played them, but here is as good as any place.

Yes, probably Calipse is the biggest culprit here. The negation is absurdly strong despite the fact you can beat over it (because it can just get banished and then you can't). Possibly there should be an opportunity cost of some sort ...

However, because the deck's engine revolves around Calipse, Calipse itself can be tuned to accommodate. The majority of the cards I saw played seemed fine.

Art not mine this time :^) That's a really old archetype I've began making before I got my Cintiq.

Oberyn was really not made with permanent negation in mind, what it does is just negate float effects that activate when a card is sent to the Graveyard. If that's somehow misleading I'll edit.

thanks ^^

As for a field of multiple calipses, I didn't even think of that, will add a hard OPT for it. :)

That's ironic because after playtesting against them I said the set (as a whole) was balance bar Calipse and Protegao. Calipse turns everything vanilla and it stays that way forever. Its honestly worse than having all of your things destroyed. If its a continuous spell or trap you just have a s/t locked if its a monster hopefully you can beat over it, well you can't because it rabbit/thunderbirds away...so you're just S.O.L. and that gets to be pretty irksome.

Protegao well as long as it goes somewhere not in grave you plus. Sure it makes up for the fact their whole gimmick is about -1 quick play leveling up but once you combine Protegao and Calipse then you just keep generating advantage for yourself. 

I remember Oberyn used to thunderbird as well...glad it doesn't anymore. Like stated before a negation should have the time limit. The same goes for Calipse. 

I stated all this when I played them, but here is as good as any place.

Protegao is granting you a necessary search. He's like a special resource you'd rather burn, you can do it 3 times at most and given how many resources you need to maintain the Calipse - Bicerost game, Protegao is just small time, you'd go on burning your important resources rather fast. In fact, he was designed because the deck couldn't keep up. I well understand the negative Shaddoll connotations of grave plusses and cost mitigating, but that was necessary for the deck to flow. 

Calipse stays permanent. If it would wear off then the Bicerost tactic would be simply be impractical. Over the course of the duel the opponent would have to play Bicerost otherwise they'd not be able to deal with the field, and by then - your locked S/T slots will be freed. 

Yes, probably Calipse is the biggest culprit here. The negation is absurdly strong despite the fact you can beat over it (because it can just get banished and then you can't). Possibly there should be an opportunity cost of some sort ...

However, because the deck's engine revolves around Calipse, Calipse itself can be tuned to accommodate. The majority of the cards I saw played seemed fine.

Opportunity cost? do go into detail ^^ thanks.

new! 

Embodiment.jpg

This is the embodiment of the sacred Elysium, a heavenly complex that serves them home. 

What I played around, is their fantastic ability to banish themselves and leave a clean field, this card explores this aspect to the fullest. :P

Calipse stays permanent. If it would wear off then the Bicerost tactic would be simply be impractical. Over the course of the duel the opponent would have to play Bicerost otherwise they'd not be able to deal with the field, and by then - your locked S/T slots will be freed. 

The bold part makes no sense! The opponent has to play bicerost. Okay so that's one of two things

1. You're stating that you are playing the Elysium and I'm the opponent in which I can't play Bicerost for you...

2. You're stating that you are the opponent playing Elysium and you think Bicerost is some mandatory play you have to do in order for the deck to work. Which you don't...Toadshire and Tethys are level 5 fairies if so if you can simply not run Bicerost in the deck at all and play link joker with your opponents field. Calipse with  time limit doesn't make a play impractical at all. It just makes it balanced as with EVERY other monster effect that can negate without some kind of player interaction. 

Embodiment: Does that have any real purpose other than to further abuse Protegao and Letsung?

Calipse, as it is, can just randomly disable S/Ts for very little cost, if any. This is especially true for one-shot Spells/Traps, but is somewhat true for Continuous Spells/Traps. This is at its core not very good for game health. Additionally, Calipse's flicker effect means it is very difficult to actually get rid of it ... and you can just negate and then flicker, or flicker period and have it come back to negate later.

Those are the two issues. Anyway.

The bold part makes no sense! The opponent has to play bicerost. Okay so that's one of two things

1. You're stating that you are playing the Elysium and I'm the opponent in which I can't play Bicerost for you...

2. You're stating that you are the opponent playing Elysium and you think Bicerost is some mandatory play you have to do in order for the deck to work. Which you don't...Toadshire and Tethys are level 5 fairies if so if you can simply not run Bicerost in the deck at all and play link joker with your opponents field. Calipse with  time limit doesn't make a play impractical at all. It just makes it balanced as with EVERY other monster effect that can negate without some kind of player interaction. 

Embodiment: Does that have any real purpose other than to further abuse Protegao and Letsung?

1.I merely switched the Elysium player in that sentence so you could read it as if you were dueling against them. just a choice of words. 

2.Would you actually run Tethys over Bicerost for the sole reason of locking few of your opponent's S/T zones? (I've seen Calipse lock a S/T zone before, and for the countless testing duels I've had with it, that didn't ever happen more than twice, so you can go on looking for alternatives but that concept doesn't actually work)

Calipse is not getting a time limit; like I said, it makes Bicerost impractical in the sense that he would be able to pop 1 at max (and mostly none), for his rather costly maintenance. It's not changing because that's the core concept. 

However what I do see in Calipse now, is really strong negation for a relatively low cost, and today I'll be testing a lot to get a decent fix for it.

Embodiment is wall for a deck that really needs one, as elysiums currently like to die turn 4. To make you comfortable I'll make it tribute them instead to cut any potential abuse.

Calipse, as it is, can just randomly disable S/Ts for very little cost, if any. This is especially true for one-shot Spells/Traps, but is somewhat true for Continuous Spells/Traps. This is at its core not very good for game health. Additionally, Calipse's flicker effect means it is very difficult to actually get rid of it ... and you can just negate and then flicker, or flicker period and have it come back to negate later.

Those are the two issues. Anyway.

I'll test a lot today to get a decent fix for Calipse (while still keeping its concept).

By decent fix I mean, toning down the card (that's indeed really strong for a searchable level 4 that can evade and return)

whilst keeping the core concept (of negating for a future Bicerost play and Thunderbird-ing). 

Archived