[Archetype] Assault Dragons

Maeriberii Haan

Assault Dragon is an offensive FIRE Dinosaur-type archetype focusing on field control and beatdown. They have many extra normal summon effects, but they cannot really swarm easily, preferring to tribute their monsters for their bosses, in a way akin to Monarch.

Idk if I can test this soonish, tbh. Though, I think I messed something up really bad here.

[hr]

Monsters

[spoiler=Raptor Cadet]
oFYi4pR.jpg
If this card is the only monster you control, you can Normal Summon an additional Dinosaur-type monster this turn, but you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of the turn. When this card is tributed, add 1 “Assault Dragon” monster from your deck to your hand, except "Assault Dragon Forerunner, Raptor Cadet". Each effects of “Assault Dragon Forerunner, Raptor Cadet” can only be activated once per turn.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Jetptera]
6roLyq0.jpg
If this card is the only monster you control, you can Normal Summon an additional Dinosaur-type monster this turn, but you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of the turn. When this card on the field is tributed, target 1 card on the field; return it to its owner’s hand. Each effects of “Assault Dragon Support Unit, Jetptera” can only be activated once per turn.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Parashield]
0CmFsZf.jpg

If this card is the only monster you control, you can Normal Summon an additional Dinosaur-type monster this turn, but you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of the turn. During either player's turn, you can discard this card from your hand and target 1 "Assault Dragon" monster you control; until the End Phase, the targeted monster is unaffected by other card effects.  Each effects of “Assault Dragon Support Unit, Parashield” can only be activated once per turn.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Brachiammo]
tq5xqdr.jpg

If a Level 6 or higher "Assault Dragon" monster battles a monster: you can discard this card; it gains 1000 ATK during the battle. During your Main Phase, you can banish this card from your graveyard; add 1 "Assault Dragon" Spell or Trap Card from your deck to your hand. Only one effect of “Assault Dragon Supply Unit, Brachiammo” can be activated per turn, and only once that turn.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Strike Raptor]

GhbCmnP.jpg
When this card is Normal Summoned, discard 1 card; add 1 “Assault Dragon” monster from your deck to your hand. When this card destroys a monster by battle, you can tribute this card; Special Summon 1 level 6 or higher “Assault Dragon” from your hand. Monsters summoned by this effect are treated as being Tribute Summoned. Only one effect of “Assault Dragon Attacker, Strike Raptor” can be activated per turn, and only once that turn.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Triceraburst]
kS2rD9r.jpg
When this card declares an attack, you can reveal 1 Level 6 or higher "Assault Dragon" monster in your hand; banish 1 monster in your opponent's graveyard and this card gains 300 ATK during the battle. You can discard this card from your hand; once during this turn, you can Normal Summon 1 Dinosaur-type monster from your graveyard as an additional Normal Summon, but you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of the turn. Each effects of “Assault Dragon Shock Trooper, Triceraburst” can only be activated once per turn.
[/spoiler]

[divider1]

[spoiler=Cannonsaur]
8bkiYCQ.jpg
When this card is tribute summoned by tributing a Dinosaur-type monster; destroy all of your opponent’s cards in the same column as this card, but this card cannot declare an attack this turn. Once per turn, you can tribute 1 “Assault Dragon” monster you control and target 1 card on the field; destroy it, then banish it from the graveyard.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Chargetops]
oF0jeaL.jpg
When this card is tribute summoned, you can target 1 face-up card on the field; return it to its owner's hand. If you Tribute Summoned this card by tributing an "Assault Dragon" monster, return it to the top of its owner's deck instead. When this card destroys a monster by battle, draw 1 card.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Bombardrex]
7ZCZbSg.jpg
When this card is tribute summoned; destroy 1 Spell or Trap card your opponent controls, and if the tributed monster is an “Assault Dragon” monster, you can destroy 1 other Spell or Trap card on the field. During either player’s turn, you can shuffle 3 “Assault Dragon” monsters from your graveyard to your deck; banish 2 cards from your opponent’s graveyard.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Brachioship]
f8wj0nj.jpg
Cannot be Special Summoned. You can Tribute Summon this card using 1 "Assault Dragon" monster. When this card is Tribute Summoned, add 1 "Assault Dragon" monster from your deck to your hand, then discard 1 card. If you Tribute Summoned this card using 2 monsters, add 2 "Assault Dragon" monsters with a different name instead. During your Main Phase, you can reveal 1 level 6 or higher "Assault Dragon" monster in your hand; you can Normal Summon or Set an additional time this turn. This effect of "Assault Dragon Carrier, Brachioship" can only be activated once per turn.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Legend Raptor]
FcJwJAk.jpg
Cannot be Special Summoned. You can Tribute Summon this card using 1 "Assault Dragon" monster. When this card is Tribute Summoned, destroy 1 card on the field. If you Tribute Summoned this card using 2 tributes, you can destroy all other monsters on the field instead. During your Main Phase 1, you can send 1 other "Assault Dragon" monster you control to the graveyard; until your opponent's End Phase, neither players can Special Summon monsters if this card is the only monster you control.
[/spoiler]

[divider1]

Spells and Traps

[spoiler=Ancient Battlefield]
7kxSuua.jpg
Once per turn, you can discard 1 card; add 1 “Assault Dragon” monster from your deck to your hand. "Assault Dragon" monsters you control is unaffected by your opponent's card effects during the Battle Phase.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Mobile Fortress Brachiocastle]
XOgL8m5.jpg

Once per turn, when a monster you control destroys a monster by battle, add 1 "Assault Dragon" monster from your grave to your hand with lower ATK than the destroyed monster's. You can Normal Summon an additional “Assault Dragon” monster per turn. You can only control 1 face-up “Assault Dragon Mobile Fortress, Brachiocastle.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Mine Setter]

7R9ODno.jpg

When a monster is summoned and you control a face-up "Assault Dragon" monster, destroy it and banish it. If you control no set cards and this card is in your graveyard, you can tribute 1 "Assault Dragon" monster you control; set this card from your graveyard to your side of the field, but you cannot set cards on the field for the rest of the turn.
[/spoiler]

[hr]

EDIT: Made some preliminary nerfs.

EDIT2: Removed the unintentional nontargeting from everyone.

EDIT3(3 Mar 2015): Updated everything.

I don't really get why they are named "Dragon" when they are Dinosaur-Type.

First thing I checked were for 200 DEF monsters and sure enough, there are a couple of them; Rekindling fun. Plus some more of them have less than 200 DEF for potential Firedog plays, yay!

I also noticed a lack of targeting in most cards.

They also have a cookie-cutter Counter Trap; not really a fan of these, personally. At least it has a cost nor doesn't end as a +0 unlike the tellar and Zefra Counters, except when Tributing Cadet or Jetptera).

I have not read them thoroughly yet so I may drop more comments when/if I do it later.

I don't really get why they are named "Dragon" when they are Dinosaur-Type.

First thing I checked were for 200 DEF monsters and sure enough, there are a couple of them; Rekindling fun. Plus some more of them have less than 200 DEF for potential Firedog plays, yay!

I also noticed a lack of targeting in most cards.

They also have a cookie-cutter Counter Trap; not really a fan of these, personally. At least it has a cost nor doesn't end as a +0 unlike the tellar and Zefra Counters, except when Tributing Cadet or Jetptera).

I have not read them thoroughly yet so I may drop more comments when/if I do it later.

Regarding why they are dragons, it's a joke, in a way. In many eastern cultures, word to denote dinosaur and dragons are almost similar, and even exactly the same at times. It's a play of the trope Dinosaurs are Dragons too, and most of all, it's a reference to CFV (which is the source for the images), where every dinosaurs ARE dragons.

The lack of targeting is once again, a mistake in my part. The cookie cutter Counter trap used to only negate monsters (and had a different name), but draws 1 card in exchange. Might change it back to it if this is too much.

EDIT: I've edited the cards so they target now.

As a player of Vanguard I guess I got the joke quite quickly. On the downside, aesthetically a grade 2 being stronger than both Tachikaze bosses just ticks a nerve. But the set looks nice and spammy as a whole in that same Hunder aspect of spam. My only true concern is that Brachioship goes from plussing on the summon which would most likely lead to two other Extra Normal Summons that make everything rather spammy. Especially when combined with Shocktrooper.

So "destroy up to 2 Spell or Trap cards your opponent controls, and if the tributed monster is an “Assault Dragon” monster, the destroyed cards can’t be chained to this effect." Is a really frustrating effect to play again, if you recall the warmasters. Especially when it's already 2 cards being destroyed.

The field spell gives them the Ancient Gear gimmick, but better, and free stats. Seems really strong.

Mobile Fortress Feels like it does too many things. And the burn damage feels really tacked on.

Haven't tested it at all though.

So "destroy up to 2 Spell or Trap cards your opponent controls, and if the tributed monster is an “Assault Dragon” monster, the destroyed cards can’t be chained to this effect." Is a really frustrating effect to play again, if you recall the warmasters. Especially when it's already 2 cards being destroyed.

I was trying to make it a Mobius but weaker due to it needing a specific tribute. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, probably I should just have either it destroy 1 and can't be chained or destroy 2 but can be chained.

The field spell gives them the Ancient Gear gimmick, but better, and free stats. Seems really strong.

The BP wide AG clause is the main dish, but if it's too strong, I'll just have the stat gain removed. +500 is quite potent, after all.

Mobile Fortress Feels like it does too many things. And the burn damage feels really tacked on.

Well, it's intended to be a pseudo monster. The burn might be too big, but it's not really tacked on, since it's in a way signifying that the fortress was attacking. Extra normal summon because it's a mobile fortress after all, so you can mobilize your troop to the battlefield easier.

Haven't tested it at all though.

Once test results are in, I'll start making the changes.

Archived