[Archetype] Crusolars, DP's resident alt-win archetype

AGATHODAIMON BANGTAIL COW

For your info, Crusolars were actually here before Holy Feathers. I think I came up with them since around May of last year or something, but I can't remember really.

[spoiler='Monsters']

[spoiler='Crusolar Bard']8rnLIbY.jpg
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; its DEF becomes 0 until the end of this turn. This card inflicts Piercing Damage. When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent: You can target up to 2 cards in your opponent's Graveyard; banish them, and if you do, place this card in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card.

The Defense draining is supposed to reference how a bard in RPGs can charm other people. Also, it's there because the archetype has little to no way with dealing with walls. The move-to-backrow effect is as weak as it is because this card used to have an unfairly stronger version of its current effect. I've recently updated it so that it would be more useful against Decks that need Graveyard setup; it will be useful even if you aren't running across Defense Positioned monsters. Also, if someone can find me a different picture to use for card art, I'd appreciate it. Having the moon as the background for the art is out of flavor, and that's the least of the card's problems.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Crusolar Commander']s7zrwrx.jpg
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can place 1 "Crusolar" monster from your hand or side of the field in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card. When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent: You can add 1 "Crusolar" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Crusolar Commander," and if you do, place this card in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card.

The only searcher in the archetype. It can put Crusolars in the backrow for you so that Commander herself could more likely get her search effect off or just to push you closer to achieving that victory condition. Commander was originally going to host the alternate win effect so it wouldn't be on every Crusolar, but I decided not to do that.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Crusolar Lancer']XxZ5khF.jpg
When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent: You can target 1 "Crusolar" monster in your Graveyard; shuffle that card into your Deck, and if you do, place this card face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card. When your opponent declares an attack while this card is in your Spell & Trap Card Zone: You can negate the attack. This effect of "Crusolar Lancer" can only be activated once per turn.

This card also has a weak send-to-backrow effect, but that's because it's one of the few Crusolars that actually have an effect in the backrow now. A Scrap Iron Scarecrow isn't going to do much to keep you alive, but it's readily available even if you only run one copy of this.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Crusolar Magus']uPo6RBa.jpg
When this card is Normal Summoned while you control a "Crusolar" Spell/Trap card: You can send 1 card from your hand or 1 face-up "Crusolar" card in your Spell & Trap Card Zone to your Graveyard, then target 1 card on the field; send that card to the Graveyard. When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent: You can gain 2000 Life Points and if you do, place this card face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card.

The archetype's sole source of effect removal, and a rather effective one at that. You ditch a card from your hand or one of your Crusolars from your backrow, and in return, you get a NDR kill to get rid of problems. Her potency with this effect means that, of course, her send-to-backrow effect isn't exactly stellar. In fact, Magus is the card I'm most likely not going to send to my backrow. Well, her or Paladin.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Crusolar Paladin']kSrNRpH.jpg

When this card is Normal Summoned: You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; it loses 500 ATK until the end of this turn. When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent: You can draw 1 card, and if you do, place this card face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card.

Perhaps your best play with Crusolars, except when you need Magus to kill something, is slapping a Paladin onto the field, crushing one of your opponent's monsters, and then drawing for it. Remember that you're going to need to decide if you want to keep her on the frontlines or if you can safely have her go to the backrow so you can draw. These choices aren't always automatically "yes, put this in the backrow." In fact, there are a lot of times when the draw is too risky, and I keep Paladin out on the field for a few turns.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Crusolar Sniper']HXzZI08.jpg
This card can attack your opponent directly. When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent: You can target 1 "Crusolar" monster in your Graveyard; return it to your hand, and if you do, place this card in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card.

From being the Deck's linear power play when she used to Tribute herself to Special Summon Paladin from the Deck to being the The Warrior Returning Alive she is now, Sniper has always had a knack for sneaking some damage past your opponent's monsters. In addition to that, she keeps a great watch out; her 2000 DEF not exactly easy to overcome in some stages of the game.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Crusolar Spearsage']eDAGU79.jpg
When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent: You can Tribute this card; place 1 "Crusolar" monster from your hand or Deck in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card. Once, while this card is on the field, during either player's turn, while this card is in your Spell & Trap Card Zone: You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; it loses 1000 ATK.

If you need to get a specific Crusolar monster into your backrow pronto, then Crusolar Spearsage is here to get that done. She doesn't go into the backrow herself to do it, though, so Spearsage isn't going to put two Crusolars in your backrow at once for you. If you do manage to get Spearsage in the backrow, however, you get a spell-speed-2 debuff of 1000 points to toss at your opponent's monsters. Just more ways to bring your opponent's mighty monsters down to a size small enough for you to get rid of.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Crusolar Enforcer']SNYApz7.jpg

Once, while this card is on the field, during either player's turn, while this card is in your Spell & Trap Card Zone: You can activate this effect; all monsters your opponent controls lose 500 ATK. When your opponent Special Summons a monster while you control 3 or more "Crusolar" monsters in your Spell & Trap Card Zone: You can send this card from your Spell & Trap Card Zone to the Graveyard; destroy that monster.

As you gain more Crusolars in your backrow, you will find that you have less room for your actual backrow. Against an aggressive enough Deck, not even Lancer's attack negation and Spearsage's ATK debuff are going to keep you around. This is where Enforcer comes in. While she has no way of getting into the backrow by herself, you definitely are going to want to get her in there. During her stay in the backrow, she can reduce the ATK of all of your opponent's monsters by 500. All of them. Theoretically, this means Commander has 2300 ATK, and Paladin 2400 (or 2900 when Normal Summoned). If you have three or more Crusolars in your backrow, she becomes a Trap Hole for Special Summoned monsters. Very useful for helping keep a Crusolar in your monster zone alive.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Crusolar Vanguard']KEZRpjA.jpg
When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent: You can target 1 "Crusolar" card in your Spell & Trap Card Zone; shuffle it into the Deck, and if you do, place 1 "Crusolar" monster with a different name from your hand or Deck in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card. Once, while this card is in your Spell & Trap Card Zone, if a "Crusolar" card in your Spell & Trap Card Zone is destroyed by your opponent's card effect: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; destroy it.

As strong as Paladin, Vanguard supports the Deck by shuffling out the Crusolars that don't do anything in the backrow for the ones that do do something in the backrow. Commander isn't doing anything, but you can tag her out for Enforcer or Lancer while at the same time increasing the likelihood of you drawing her again. Then, Vanguard further solidifies your position by offering a monster kill if your opponent decides to get rid of that Lancer if it's in the Spell & Trap Card Zone, but you're going to need to put her in there manually.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler='Spells and Traps']

[spoiler='Equity's Gathering']V2NQmwL.jpg
Target 1 "Crusolar" card you control; shuffle that card into your Deck, and if you do, you can place 1 "Crusolar" monster from your hand or Deck in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card.

Your Paladin is leading the way towards another victory in battle, when all of a sudden, your opponent decides to play Dimensional Prison. Or you wanted Commander to place Spearsage into the backrow, but met resistance from Breakthrough Skill. This is your pseudo-Forbidden Lance. You still won't have the Crusolar in your frontrow, but you do get to put something extra in your backrow.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Hall of Eternity']twWlcMy.jpg
When this card is activated, if you control no "Crusolar" cards in your Spell & Trap Card Zone: You can place 1 "Crusolar" monster from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card. When a "Crusolar" monster you control declares an attack, your opponent cannot activate Trap Cards until the end of the Damage Step. If you control 5 face-up "Crusolar" cards in your Spell & Trap Card Zone, you win the Duel.

Here's the glorious alternate win condition. You just need to get 5 Crusolars into your backrow, and this even helps you get started. But even if you aren't aiming to win that way, this card is still useful for setting up Lancer or Spearsage to hinder your opponent. Now that it's upgraded, it also serves as protection from Trap cards that severely set the archetype back: Dimensional Prison and Mirror Force. In this archetype, your monsters are incredibly valuable, and cards like Mirror Force and D-Pris just add on rather unnecessarily to the number of cards that stop the archetype in its tracks for a turn.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Neverending Plight']UFeBy21.jpg
Target 1 "Crusolar" monster in your Graveyard; place it in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card. Only 1 "Neverending Plight" can be activated per turn.

As the duel goes on, some of your Crusolars will hit the Graveyard, even though they put themselves into the backrow. This card lets you put them into the backrow, either for their effects, or so you can win in your own special way. Your opponent killed your Scrap Iron Scarecrow for a reason, and now they have to do it again![/spoiler]

[spoiler='Solar Shine of Equity']2dFZ1Jq.jpg

Target 1 Spell/Trap Card you control; shuffle it into the Deck, and if you do, draw 1 card.

A major weakness Crusolars face is that running backrow compromises their alternate victory condition. In a lot of cases, you can get rid of these backrow yourself by playing them (such as CED), but Fiendish Chain can very easily be stuck on your field. Staying in theme of how Crusolars on the field get shuffled into the Deck (Vanguard, Gathering), this shuffles any card in your backrow into the Deck then replaces itself. It isn't exclusive to Crusolars, either.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Equity's Justice']

j97vu7R.jpg

Send 1 "Crusolar" card from your hand or Spell & Trap Card Zone to the Graveyard, then target 1 monster your opponent controls; send it to the Graveyard.

A Trap version of Crusolar Magus's effect, except it only hits monsters and you can only get rid of Crusolars to activate it (in place of needing a Crusolar in the backrow to work). This will let you deal with your opponent's plays during their own turn. Compared to Raigeki Break, this offers you NDR and you can spend the cost on Crusolars you don't need anymore, but can't hit backrow (dealing with floodgates was one Raigeki Break's biggest reasons to be ran when it was last seen).

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Suggestions, fixes, and other relative yet helpful comments, are all welcome here. Keep in mind that I want to balance the wins this Deck achieves with its alternate win condition with wins it achieves by reducing your opponent's Life Points to 0 (right now, the alternate win is a little weak).

The win condition is god-tier but also remarkably vulnerable to MST / removal.

Everything else looks very suspiciously balanced. :^) I really like how the deck operates, as it's kind of slow and unwieldy at first sight but I'd be very annoyed. As you accumulate more backrows though, it becomes harder to actually setup some sort of reasonable defense. I recommend maybe making a card with the ability to do a more defensive play in the back row, with a requirement of 3+ Crusolars in the back row to activate ... I'm not sure how strong this would be, though.

From what I've seen from my matches, they are most likely winning if they have 3+ monsters in the backrow. They mostly have problems with an early game and when the opponent sits on a monster that can't be debuffed to killing size (making searching Magus really hard). Though, I'll consider a card for nearly-stocked backrows.

• 3 weeks later...

More updates!

• Bard can now banish up to 2 cards, rather than just one. She also gains 200 more DEF, so she's as effective a wall as Sniper and Enforcer.
  • Spearsage no longer excludes itself from its placing effect. Now you can Tribute it to put another copy in your backrow from your Deck. This is mostly to give it a slight leg up against Hall's for-the-most-part-superior version of this effect.
  • Speaking of Hall of Eternity, you can now send it from the field to the Grave to place a copy of any Crusolar from your hand or Deck into the backrow, but only if you don't have any Crusolars back there. I excluded the Graveyard so it doesn't become Neverending Plight. This is supposed to help combat how useless Hall of Eternity is during a lot of the Duel, though I'm kinda looking for a better way for it to do that.

Comments on the changes, comments on things that weren't changed, suggestions, and whatnot are appreciated. Really! As cold and apathetic as I may seem, I'd appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...

Updated again.

• Hall of Eternity's "send to fetch a Crusolar" effect was changed out for an Ancient Gear-esque protection from Mirror Force/D-Pris for the archetype. I really didn't like the "Hall kills itself" thing, it seems.
  • Added Crusolar Vanguard, which helps put the Crusolars designed for the backrow in the backrow, getting the other ones out, and vanquishing an opponent's monster if your backrow gets hit. EDIT: The flow is now not as smooth, since she no longer can place herself (unless you're tagging someone for her, but that means she can't pseudo-guard something unless it was already there).
  • Considering the idea of a Trap Card, since the second spoiler says "Spells and Traps." What it will be, I don't know yet. I keep considering a Trap version of Magus's NS effect (but reworded to be non-generic, yet you can play it without Crusolar backrow), and then reconsidering it.

The change to Hall, and to a lesser effect, the inclusion of Vanguard is supposed to encourage the opponent to consider hitting Hall instead of Lancer/Enforcer/Spearsage with their backrow removal, should they only have limited resources.

• 2 weeks later...

Minor updates:

• Changed Spearsage's backrow effect to only work once while she's on the field, but in return, it now debuffs by a whopping 1000 ATK. This was because her synergy with #103 was insanely stupid.
  • For the same reason, changed Enforcer's ATK debuff to a one-time use. It debuffs them all by 500, but you can only activate this effect once while she's on the field.

YCM isn't generating Imgur links, so I'll have to wait to update the cards themselves. EDIT: Done!

Minor updates:

• Changed Spearsage's backrow effect to only work once while she's on the field, but in return, it now debuffs by a whopping 1000 ATK. This was because her synergy with #103 was insanely stupid.
  • For the same reason, changed Enforcer's ATK debuff to a one-time use. It debuffs them all by 500, but you can only activate this effect once while she's on the field.
YCM isn't generating Imgur links, so I'll have to wait to update the cards themselves. EDIT: Done!
Note that you actually can just have it decrease original ATK, so this way it won't trigger Ragnazero, since Ragna triggers off a monster whose ATK is different from its original ATK

Well, from the duels I've had, Spearsage is a lot stronger, without breaking 103 considerably. Commander pretending to have 2800 ATK is great, it makes Gathering more usable a bit, and it lets them still have access to Ragna against all matchups. If Ragna continues to be really stupid, then I'll change it to original ATK, but right now their synergy with Ragna might be ok now.

Oh, and also, I said I'd change Solar Shine yet again, because there's just no role I can think of it filling. Now it shuffles backrow into the Deck for a draw.

Well, from the duels I've had, Spearsage is a lot stronger, without breaking 103 considerably. Commander pretending to have 2800 ATK is great, it makes Gathering more usable a bit, and it lets them still have access to Ragna against all matchups. If Ragna continues to be really stupid, then I'll change it to original ATK, but right now their synergy with Ragna might be ok now.

Oh, and also, I said I'd change Solar Shine yet again, because there's just no role I can think of it filling. Now it shuffles backrow into the Deck for a draw.

dont worry about it really, ragna fit in every deck you do because most of the new deck also do atk/def manipulation and is a good technique

• 2 weeks later...

Archived