Snow White with the Red Hair (Akagami no Shirayuki-hime)

Agro

Is it a romance manga? Is it like some sort of indie series and is it released in any other languages?

It's a medieval romance manga except it's distinctly... weird. But like not in a way you'd expect.

The specific type of conflict they use around the romance basically skips around ever really needing to use any "teen angst" tropes. Like at all. The romance often even takes a back seat to the progress of each character towards their life goals, too. It's cool how it functions, honestly.

Idk about indie, but the manga hasn't been released outside of japan. Scanlators are all over it though. It came up really high on a recent poll about what manga fans wanted made into an anime the most.

• 2 months later...

Warner Bros. x Bones for the anime. It looks pretty, albeit it feels different in style from the manga (which I still suggest reading).

If Fusion sees this, this is the anime that Obi is from (you'll see him at some point in the trailer).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNo5n_XmA2I

The main reason I think that is is that the main characters actually know what the other feels for them. The main overarching conflict is between their relationship, their dreams, and the system, and they both fully embrace that. Even when a third wheel feels like he's got a good chance of legitimately starting something, dude's like "YO, I like you both, let's just be chill." You'd think that'd make the show boring, but it merely uses it as a way to make readers fall for the characters while introducing other characters and conflicts each arc. It's hard for me to wrap my head around everything this show does to keep me interested.

I do love all the characters and how the conflicts play out.

[spoiler=spoiler]Like how things end up between Raji and Shirayuki, or how everyone is dealing with Shirayuki and Ryuu leaving for 2 years. Like, I was expecting some cliche thing about how they'd work out a way not to be separated, but I much prefer how the story is so far.[/spoiler]

And while maybe it's not my favorite manga, I can definitely say I've never I read so much of a manga so quickly before. It's a rough estimate, but with the length of the chapters, it's gotta be about 2500 pages or so for all the chapters out so far.

• 1 month later...

Obi's fantastic, but I like Zen more. Also, I never mentioned it before, but Zen and Shirayuki always reminded me a little of Haruhi and Tamaki from OHSHC.

Zen and Tamaki are way different to me, but I can see the comparison to Haruhi.

Anyway, I'm realizing that I'm having a hard time describing this show, since while it has a lot of shoujo tropes at times, it doesn't follow them a lot, but doesn't satirize it. Whereas OHSHC does that, this show is basically just a really really well written medieval shoujo manga, but there's something more I feel like I'm missing.

I agree with you on that. Zen and Tamaki themselves are a lot more different than Shirayuki and Haruhi (though both are princes, kinda, and I'd say are the less serious of their respective pairs, Tamaki is just more so being a main character in what is a much more comedic series), but I was more talking about them as a pair.

And I totally see where you're coming from. I find things hard to describe normally, and as someone who's a sucker for romance who greatly enjoys shoujo, this is a very particular case.

And I totally see where you're coming from. I find things hard to describe normally, and as someone who's a sucker for romance who greatly enjoys shoujo, this is a very particular case.

I think what I can say this show does the best though is (albeit not apparent in the first episode) most of the characters are defined by their own life goals and not other people, like you find in a lot of shoujo manga. Neither Zen nor Shirayuki are defined by being a love interest to each other, that's just a facet of their characters. And that's amazing.

I feel like more people need to know about the wonders of this series. I've only just realized that aside from the 2nd post, this thread has been just us two.

I'll change the name of the topic to the english version and see if that does anything

It was aight. That's more me not being as keen on fantasy settings compared to modern ones, though, I think. I was more than pleasantly surprised, but I can't see it as amazing after just one episode. I am liking the more different takes on shoujo recently, and I am already at a loss for words... but I like it, so that must be a pretty good sign.

Obnoxiously recommending something to anyone and anything actually works sometimes, who knew.

It was aight. That's more me not being as keen on fantasy settings compared to modern ones, though, I think. I was more than pleasantly surprised, but I can't see it as amazing after just one episode. I am liking the more different takes on shoujo recently, and I am already at a loss for words... but I like it, so that must be a pretty good sign.

Obnoxiously recommending something to anyone and anything actually works sometimes, who knew.

The first episode doesn't really get at the heart of the series I don't think. Once the other characters appear it'll really open up. especially obi

This anime is really about Zen conquering fences every episode.

Also this episode wasn't too direct in that it wanted to be about Shirayuki being a strong independent woman, right? I mean besides being a little tropey with Zen having to save her, every action and line was basically about that.

It's been a while since I read these chapters so I'm experiencing them again in a whole new light and I'm loving every second of it. This really is a fairly beautiful show.

ALSO OBI IS IN THE NEXT EPISODE AND I'M SO funking PUMPED.

I pretty much remember everthing from the manga but I'm excited regardless. This was another great episode. Also, I really like the OP, it's quite nice.

ALSO OBI IS IN THE NEXT EPISODE AND I'M SO funking PUMPED.

but Zen is best guy

I'm not sure how far the anime will get, and I don't remember at what point in the manga this comes up, but I hope we get to see [spoiler=spoiler]Shirayuki's friendship with Raji.

Archived