Struggle of Powers II (IC/Still Accepting)

Jake the Sage

Zack just stood there and watched the angry man as he responded to Zack's question. Zack had encountered many a guard like him, and they were the kind that made Zack's gang popular amongst the people. His cooler-headed partner seemed to be a bigger man however, and dissolved the situation. “I hope you’ll forgive Don. We were told that you were supposed to arrive sometime today. If you’d please hold still . . .”

"Ah, well I dun know why'd ya need me here, but here I be." Zack lapsed into his other speech pattern, to keep the guards from being overly wary. The guard stepped forward and pulled Zack’s hands out and away from his pockets, assuring him he wasn’t going to injure him; that courtesy didn’t naturally extend to any situation that Zack attacked first. Digging through his pockets the guard pulled his dagger and throwing darts out so he could hold them in front of Zack’s face, “Think you’ll need these inside?”

Never know what you might need in a ruined building. Zack shrugged and replied, "I keep'um for self-defenden."

As soon as Zack had answered the guard laughed, shaking his head and moving the weapons so their owner couldn’t snatch them back, “No one else is armed inside and I doubt you’ll be attacked for no reason. But let’s just say, you’re still walking on thin ice with some of the others, even from the North, and seeing you unarmed will put a lot of peoples’ minds at ease.”

Yes, because being the sole person surrounded by supers and the only one without formal training is really a big deal. Surely I carry some sort of dangerous weapon that can murder thousands...

Zack just nodded and let the guard take his gear away. He had plenty more back in his room, and could always find the stuff he favored out in town if need be. "Where do I be headin?"

“Third door on the right, straight up, and it’ll be the first door on your left” was the directions the guard had given Zack and he quickly stepped inside. Zack was accosted by another set of guards who were given the same spiel as the group out front. He made it up the stairs before being stopped by a few more guards to explain why he was inside the building. Every step of the way Zack could feel the leers of others in the building staring into his skull.

Eventually Zack stood in front of where Lady Kyou had supposedly relocated. From outside she could hear people talking, discussing something with fervor, and even a bit of angry shouting. Sounds like I've been invited to be a fall guy...

“This is insane!” someone shouted followed by the bang of a hand on metal, the voice sounding much like Kallen. Great, and I'm certain I'm at the TOP of her 'don't funk with me' list. I thought I was supposed to have a nice day off.

“It’s what we have to offer and the best we have.” The second voice didn't belong to anyone Zack was familiar with. Zack pressed his hand against the door, noiselessly breaching the barrier between him and his likely apprehensive hosts. In the room everyone who had been talking naturally stopped seeing the door open, prepared to attack a possible intruder; nearly everyone relaxed when they saw it was Zack and that he was unarmed. Well except for the darts hidden under my pant legs and spare knife in my boot. Lady Kyou should get better guards, I've been through worse searches.

Lowering her mechanical arm Kallen sighed and stood upright, “Koya please lower your hand. This is Zack, the person Lady Kyou suggested.”

Zack turned towards Kallen slightly, at the mention of his name. Suggested for what?

“And you said Norman already cleared him?” the one named Koya asked, never lowering his hand as he glanced back at Kallen. “For the hundredth time, yes.”

Koya nodded and lowered his hand. The room was filled with an unusual mixture of Northern, Southern, and most out of place, Western military uniforms. Lady Kyou, Kallen, and a man Zack had caught glimpses of running through the city were accompanied by Micco and a man covered from head to toe in Southern military garb, even his head was covered which gave Zack a very bad vibe; Koya was with a woman in very tight fitting metal armor and, of all things, a robot wearing the Western Insignia. Destined was oddly, and very noticeably, absent.

Thank goodness for small favors I guess. Zack noted as he briefly reflected on the ending to his last encounter with the South's hotheaded leader.

“Please sit down,” Koya offered gesturing to an empty chair, “We have a lot to go over.”

"If you don't mind, I'd rather remain standing. I'm not entirely certain what this secret society meeting is about, but I feel like I'm about to be asked to do something I don't want to." Zack cast his gaze across the room, stopping on Lady Kyou to give a brief nod. He then put his hands casually into his pockets and relaxed his shoulders a bit.

"Let me say this before you all start. I have no intention of throwing myself into a solo mission or a suicide mission of any kind. As most, if not all of you are aware, I am not a super. I am a normal human being, and before someone asks, no I do not hold a grudge against supers. Norman can attest to that. Being normal however, has probably rubbed a lot of you the wrong way. I came here to get paid as a hired guard for the delegation that was the center of the tragedy that occurred. I am no skilled assassin or spy, I have no formal combat training at all, I can't negotiate unless over a game of cards, and I haven't been paid for my job yet."

Zack stopped to stretch a bit and let out a sigh before finishing, his eyes gazing into the crowd at no one in particular. "If any or all of you intend to request something dangerous of me, then I suggest you be willing to foot a rather large bill, as I value myself very highly and have a shocking desire to stay alive."

Zack stood in anticipation of the shock and uproar that would ensue over the 'common human' talking out of turn to such a large group of powerful people.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“Nah, it’s alright. I guess I shouldn’t have expected you to have an answer that would magically make all of this better.”

"Heh, yeah...unfortunately that isn't my super power." Seiko chuckled, as he lifted up a fist. "All I'm good at is hittin' hard." He did his best to joke, only because he knee she wasn't all together happy now. "Hey...will you just get your mind off it all? Dwelling on it won't help."

Like I can really say anything...this whole ordeal is worrying me a lot. he thought as he looked up at the sky overhead. Still...this whole attack was way too organized and orchestrated...not many people could come up with this.

He kept his thought train going as he ran ideas through is mind on possible reasons this attack took place. Unfortunately it was put to a hault when he over heard Lora. "Western soldiers? Actually....yeah I remember hearing something about that. Strange too...not too long ago when I was younger, Western soldiers went missing too..." Was it a coincidence or not? Seiko wasn't for sure on it yet.

“I’m only telling you so you don’t get it in your head to try and stop me. If I have to leave the North without Kyou’s permission to figure out what the fucks going on, then I’m going too. No ifs, ands, or buts.”

"Stop you? Lora..." Seiko laughed before shaking his head. "In case you forgot, I can't stop you once an idea gets in that skull of yours. And even if I did..." He said before pointing at her. "You got that damn aura thing going on for intimidation!"

• 2 weeks later...

“Please sit down,” Koya offered with a slight gesture towards one of the empty chairs that lines the rather large table, “We have a lot to go over.”

“If you don’t mind, I'd rather remain standing.” Zack countered. If her guest’s refusal to not take a seat with them insulted her in any way, Kyou didn’t show it; Koya, however, visibly lowered his gaze a bit. When no one spoke Zack continued, “I’m not entirely certain what this secret society meeting is about, but I feel like I'm about to be asked to do something I don't want to.”

Zack cast his gaze across the room, stopping on Lady Kyou to give a brief nod which she returned, though characteristically without any hint of a smile. The rest of the group seemed to give each other knowing glances, as if they had anticipated his response before Zack himself had thought of it. When all eyes reverted back to Zack his hands casually found their way into his pockets, shoulders relaxing a bit.

“Let me say this before you all start. I have no intention of throwing myself into a solo mission or a suicide mission of any kind. As most, if not all of you are aware, I am not a super. I am a normal human being, and before someone asks, no I do not hold a grudge against supers. Norman can attest to that. Being normal however, has probably rubbed a lot of you the wrong way. I came here to get paid as a hired guard for the delegation that was the center of the tragedy that occurred. I am no skilled assassin or spy, I have no formal combat training at all, I can't negotiate unless over a game of cards, and I haven't been paid for my job yet.” Zack stopped to stretch a bit and let out a sigh before finishing, his eyes on no one in particular amongst the crowd, “If any or all of you intend to request something dangerous of me, then I suggest you be willing to foot a rather large bill, as I value myself very highly and have a shocking desire to stay alive.”

Zack stood in anticipation of the shock and uproar that would ensue over the 'common human' talking out of turn to such a large group of powerful people. The first noise heard after Zack’s speech, however, was merely Lady Kyou giving what seemed like a tired, yet knowing sigh. That concerned sigh was quickly replaced by the sound of someone rushing over quickly. Before Zack could feasibly react, Koya had bounded over the table completely, grabbed him by the shirt of his collar, and sent a very hard punch straight across Zack’s face to knock him back into the wall; the punch wasn’t fatal or break his jaw, but it’d be a miracle if it didn’t swell up to twice its size by tomorrow night.

“I don’t give a sheet if you’re human or not!” Koya barked as Kallen held him back with both arms, the angered Super’s finger pointing accusingly at the mere human, “But if you think you’re actually worth enough to be paid for what we’re asking then I’ll just kill you myself!”

“Koya that’s enough,” Kallen shouted tossing the younger man back a bit then pushing him farther away from Zack with her mechanical arm, “You weren’t the kind of person to jump right into the fray when we first met either, remember?”

“But I still jumped in if it meant the right thing,” Koya countered slamming his hand on the desk then motioning back to Zack, “He only wants money! For what, doing what needs to be done to save people’s lives!?”

“I’d have to agree with Koya on this one Miss Kallen,” Micco interjected from his spot at the table, “What good is someone who only wants money in exchange for their services? What’s to say he wouldn’t just take an offer made by the West and kill us all? After all . . . he is a human.”

“Titanium,” the man wearing the mask began, not even glancing at the large robot, “What are the chances this Zack character would betray us for profit to the West?”

The robot’s mechanical slitted eyes glowed for a moment before its voice answered, “Given the acquired knowledge of Zack Lindrosa will betray our covert operation for profit to the West the probability is 29.35667%.”

“See! Not even a fifty percent cha-” Kallen started before Titanium interrupted, “However, chances of Zack Lindrosa’s betrayal for self-salvation rests at 88.9376% probability.”

“I’d rather kill him now then let him be the death of us,” the man in the mask said. The tension in the room wrenched up ten times after the masked man’s declaration, each person eyeing each other to see if they would be the first to make a move and how the others might respond in kind.

The entire group had convened for a single purpose, but Zack was the proverbial monkey wrench thrown into their otherwise collective goal.

“Stop you? Lora,” Seiko laughed and shook his head, “In case you forgot, I can't stop you once an idea gets in that skull of yours and even if I did . . .”

Lora looked at Seiko as he pointed at her, “You got that damn aura thing going on for intimidation!”

Lora let out a small chuckle and nodded, letting her aura form around her in a small glow. It never rose to the point it would apply pressure or hurt to Seiko. Clenching her fist she held it out in front of Seiko, “You know it!”

“Well I better get going.” With that Lora shot off into the sky, kicking up some dust around Seiko, and raced towards her room. There was a lot to pack for such a long trip. Streaking through the sky she landed outside the building, quickly climbed the stairs, and burst into her room startling Anne off the bed were she was reading a book. Looking up at her best friend Anne fixed her glasses and groaned on the floor, “Lora . . . why do you have to be so loud?”

“Can’t help it,” Lora answered pulling out the largest backpack she could find and began running around the room like a tornado, picking up things she knew she needed and dropping them into the ever swelling bag, “Just a part of being a slum rat I guess.”

“And what does the slum rat need a full backpack for?” Anne asked sitting back down and laying the book across her lap, eyeing the now bulging rucksack, “Plan on going camping?”

“Just going over to spend the week at Seiko’s,” Lora lied, tossing the backpack over her shoulders and picking up the last few things she might need in the most bizarre of circumstances. Reaching for the doorknob Lora felt a familiar resistance push her hand back. With a sigh she turned back to meet Anne’s glowing hand raised up at her, “Yes?”

“Lora tell me the truth.”

“I am.”

“You’re a bad liar and I can read you like a book so just come clean,” Anne said never letting the force field drop from the room. Anne thought for a moment before adding in a concerned, “Please?”

“Everyone sit down now.” The order was sharp and clear- there was no room for argument or second guessing. All members sat down, Zack included, at Destined’s order as he strode into the room with his old top hat adorning his head. He rounded the room until he stood beside Lady Kyou, who eyed him with neither wary nor care, and both leaders gave each other a nod. Sitting down Destined’s piercing red eyes locked onto Zack’s, “Let me be clear, I do not like humans . . . I despise your kind with every fiber of my being.”

Destined took a deep breath before continuing, “Your kind is weak, feeble, and worst of all, fearful of what you cannot control. That is why the former South enslaved my people; it is why the West slaughters them. Deep down, in every humans’ very soul, you fear what we can do.”

“But we fear dying just as much as any human,” Lady Kyou picked up when Destined grew silent, “Super or human, neither race wishes to die. In death we can find a common ground on the virtue of wanting to survive, to prosper.”

Destined nodded along with everyone in the room murmuring their agreements. The Northern capital had been made a paradise for so long not just for Supers who wished to merely live without worrying that the next day they would be killed for merely existing; even the South had allowed the humans who had dwelled within its borders to remain, albeit monitored and if they had done no harm to a Super. Everyone just wanted to live their lives.

“So let me ask you this Zack,” Destined said never looking away from the human he sat across from, “I heard you outside, you said you ‘have no intention of throwing myself into a solo mission’.”

“You won’t be,” Koya interrupted from his spot, eyes still holding their anger from earlier, “You will be with a team that has had years of experience.”

“Correct.” And you are ‘no skilled assassin or spy’ and have had ‘no formal combat training’, nor can you negotiate. Those do not matter. We do not need you to be skilled or perfect, but your would-be team can train you.”

“Zack,” Lady Kyou said in an unfamiliar gentle tone, “Koya and his group have been working on the inside of the Western government for going on five years now. It has taken them this long to discover a possible way to remove their leader from power, to stop the West’s relentless massacre on Supers and humans who associate with them. I can understand your unwillingness to do something dangerous like this. But I implore you, consider joining the group.”

“If you need more incentive,” Destined stated with a mischievous smile, “When you succeed, and return alive, I will grant you anything your greedy human heart could possibly desire.”

“This is crazy,” Anne said over the wind as the hovercraft flew perilously higher than it was meant too. Lora flew underneath the hovercraft to keep her shadow from being noticed by anyone who happened to look up, “You didn’t have to come, y’know?”

“This is crazy. You’re crazy,” Anne said tilting the steering wheel to the left a bit to turn, “This entire plan is crazy! I’m crazy!”

“Yeah we both knew that already. Hanging around me, it was bound to happen sooner or later,” Lora joked and could feel the seething glare from her best friend. After Lora confessed to her plan on sneaking out of the Northern capital into the Wastelands, even crazier, she was going to sneak into the West and somehow without knowing anything about the area figure out how Amber had been brought back to life. Anne knew she couldn’t keep Lora jailed forever and if she ran to tell Kyou Lora’s plan, the red-head would be clear past the borders before she finished speaking.

All that was left was to accompany Lora in her crazy adventure and hope it didn’t result in either of them getting killed. “I hope Seiko at least has enough of an idea to tell someone,” Anne prayed landing the hovercraft now clear out of sight from the Northern Wall. Looking back in the direction of the Wall Anne sighed, hoping that Lora would just give up after a few days.

“Give up?” Anne thought with a chuckle knowing Lora was already marching further into the Wasteland she had grown up in, “Yeah right . . . .”

“Ike, it’s been a while,” Mr. Smith said past his cigarette with a hint of amusement seeing the large, bulky robot covered in caked on blood and dirt. Ike’s voice box boomed with its imitation voice though the actual head did not turn to look at the Leader of Alpha Squad, “Yes it has. I have received the mission statement: Squadrons Alpha and Gamma are to collaborate in the joint effort to locate Theta.”

“Yeah, sounds just about right,” Mr. Smith nodded and blew a smoke ring, “Are your men up for it?”

“My ‘men’ as you call them are purely mechanical. They are ‘up for’ anything.”

“Then how about a close encounter with the North, see if we can stir up a few answers with the locals?”

“You know it! Well I better get going.”

Seiko watched as the young girl left for home, leaving him alone where he stood. He looked over at the horizon and sighed, running his hand through his hair. "Jeez...I must be out of my mind if I'm even thinking about this..." he said before hopping off the boulder and heading back home himself. I guess I really can't just let my friends do things alone...man I'm too nice for my own good!!

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

Kingdom Hearts OST ~ It Began With a Letter

Lady Kyou,

I'm sorry for running off like this and not really being able to give you the proper procedures for this. It's Lora...she's going off somewhere away from the North, not for certain...but it's this hunch I have.

I'm going to go with her, after all, I can't just let my allies do things alone. You know that better than anyone else here in the North. So please, do not send any parties to search for us...I believe it's fairly clear this is something Lora is wanting to do on her own, and I'm going to help her do it.

When we'll be back, I'm unsure of...but I promise to you that we'll return...I'll make sure of it.

Tell Norman that he'll have to take my spot in guarding you...I know he'll complain about it, but to be honest, I trust him a lot more than others (and don't you dare tell him I said that!).

- Seiko Inoue

The young man put his pen down and looked at what he wrote on the paper, as he sighed and folded it up and placed it in his coat pocket. Standing up from his desk, Seiko turned to grab his packed bag and slung it over his shoulder. He turned to look over at a shelf, seeing two separate pictures: one of his mother before he moved to the North, and one of his father before he was consider K.I.A.

"Well...here's hoping things go alright." Seiko smiled. "Keep an eye out on me guys..."

And he turned and walked out of his room...

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Excuse me! Soldier!" Seiko called out to a guard that was just returning from his post.

"Hm? Oh Seiko, what can I do for you?" he asked, seeing the young man handing him a sealed letter.

"I need you to deliver this to Lady Kyou as soon as possible...the quicker the better."

"Of course. Was actually on my way there now." the guard nodded, taking the letter and heading off towards where Lady Kyou resided.

No Game No Life ~ The King's Plan

Seiko smirked a bit and turned to face the gate that headed to the wastelands, before slowly walking...then taking off in a full sprint as he made his way out of the city. He knew that people were probably going to question why he did this...but he knew that his letter would reach Kyou in time...and by that time...he would already be where he needed to.

It wasn't long until he saw a familiar figure up ahead marching further into the wastelands. He kept his sprint going and finally got her attention.

"LORA!!"

Seiko knew Lora would turn, and when she did, she saw the young man skidding to a stop, dust being kicked up behind him as he smirked at her. "Thought you could use the help. And don't give me this whole 'I have to do this on my own', typical shonen heroine BS..." he said waving his hand a bit. "I'm not about to just let you walk out of here without some sort of back up. Besides, I doubt Kyou will mind."

He knew this would spark the red-head's curiosity some, as he watched her tilt her head. "Wrote her a letter just a bit ago...she'll get it soon...which means we need to hurry."

Zack stood in anticipation of the shock and uproar that would ensue over the 'common human' talking out of turn to such a large group of powerful people. The first noise heard after Zack’s speech, however, was merely Lady Kyou giving what seemed like a tired, yet knowing sigh. That concerned sigh was quickly replaced by the sound of someone rushing over quickly. Before Zack could feasibly react, Koya had bounded over the table completely, grabbed him by the shirt of his collar, and sent a very hard punch straight across Zack’s face to knock him back into the wall.

Zack held his jaw with his right hand, rubbing it slightly. I'll need to put a salve on this later...

“I don’t give a sheet if you’re human or not!” Koya barked as Kallen held him back with both arms, the angered Super’s finger pointing accusingly at the mere human, “But if you think you’re actually worth enough to be paid for what we’re asking then I’ll just kill you myself!”

"I DON'T know what your asking first of all, so you should relax. Secondly, I really do want to be paid at some point for my guard job." Zack responded as Kallen held back the man called Koya.

“But I still jumped in if it meant the right thing,” Koya countered slamming his hand on the desk then motioning back to Zack, “He only wants money! For what, doing what needs to be done to save people’s lives!?”

"Please don't talk about me as if I'm some monster for wanting to get paid. I'm a sort of mercenary, kinda hard to make a living if I don't ask for money..." Zack continued his interjections. Koya's words stung because they weren't true, but at the same time Zack wasn't about to buckle from pressure. I'm sorry I can't show you my true colors Koya, but the world isn't exactly a place one should live so naively in.

The others were still arguing among each other as Zack sat and thought to himself. Zack heard his name mentioned by a man wearing a mask, "What are the chances this Zack character would betray us for profit to the west?"

Probably not as high as you think...

Zack heard the robot spout off a surprisingly low prediction and raised a single eyebrow in amused surprise. He immediately change it to a glare as them robot stated that he'd be much more likely betray them for self-salvation. This made Zack's blood boil a bit and almost wanted to dare the masked man to attack so that he could take out his anger. First rule of the gang, you don't betray your friends to the guys trying to kill you.

As the others once again began to bicker Zack slouched against the wall Koya had knocked him towards. He reflected on the fact that this was one of the many reasons he disliked politics. It wasn't long after he let out a fairly long sigh that the doors opened once again.

"Everyone sit down now."

The order was simple, powerful and left no room for suggestions. Zack didn't even bother to move to a chair, and simply sat against the wall. He immediately braced himself to jump up and run when he saw that it was Destined that issued the command to be seated. Zack remembered their last encounter and wasn't so inclined to be stuck in a small room with the man. Destined himself took a seat before glaring at Zack - a glare that Zack returned in kind - and speaking, "Let me be clear, I do not like humans . . . I despise your kind with every fiber of my being."

Destined sucked in some air before continuing, "Your kind is weak, feeble, and worst of all, fearful of what you cannot control. That is why the former South enslaved my people; it is why the West slaughters them. Deep down, in every humans' very soul, you fear what we can do."

Don't speak as if you're above me monster. I saw what you did to humans, during your revolution. A lot of people I knew died, several who had actually harbored fugitive Supers during the old reign. We fear Supers because of people like you...

But we fear dying just as much as any human,” Lady Kyou picked up when Destined grew silent, “Super or human, neither race wishes to die. In death we can find a common ground on the virtue of wanting to survive, to prosper.”

Destined nodded along with everyone in the room murmuring their agreements. The Northern capital had been made a paradise for so long not just for Supers who wished to merely live without worrying that the next day they would be killed for merely existing; even the South had allowed the humans who had dwelled within its borders to remain, albeit monitored and if they had done no harm to a Super. Everyone just wanted to live their lives.

“So let me ask you this Zack,” Destined said never looking away from the human he sat across from, “I heard you outside, you said you ‘have no intention of throwing myself into a solo mission’.”

“You won’t be,” Koya interrupted from his spot, eyes still holding their anger from earlier, “You will be with a team that has had years of experience.”

“Correct.” And you are ‘no skilled assassin or spy’ and have had ‘no formal combat training’, nor can you negotiate. Those do not matter. We do not need you to be skilled or perfect, but your would-be team can train you.”

"Surely there is a catch. You offer to much, and tell me too little." Zack said, refusing to take his eyes off of Destined even for a moment.

“Zack,” Lady Kyou said in an unfamiliar gentle tone, “Koya and his group have been working on the inside of the Western government for going on five years now. It has taken them this long to discover a possible way to remove their leader from power, to stop the West’s relentless massacre on Supers and humans who associate with them. I can understand your unwillingness to do something dangerous like this. But I implore you, consider joining the group.”

I've been considering it since I entered the room Milady. I just don't have a naive sense of duty to throw my life at danger without compensation.

“If you need more incentive,” Destined stated with a mischievous smile, “When you succeed, and return alive, I will grant you anything your greedy human heart could possibly desire.”

Zack stared hard at the leader of the new South. He didn't like that grin at all, it was all too telling that Destined didn't expect him to make it back alive. Ya know, nothing motivates me more than a desire to prove someone wrong.

Zack spoke without averting his eyes, "Very well Lady Kyou, I'll help. In return however I want two things when I return. The first is for Destined to issue a formal apology to the families who lost someone to his 'revolution'. Many of them had never harmed or even looked down upon Supers in anyway, and they died without just reason. Secondly, I want adequate compensation for the job. The amount to be determined after I return from your mission. I hope these terms are acceptable?"

Zack at last took his eyes off of Destined for a moment and stood from his spot on the floor. He stretched his legs a bit before scanning the room. "If you'd like, I can step out if you all need time to discuss this?"

Zack then remembered something he had been wondering. "Also, has anyone here seen Anne? I wanted to talk to her about something, but she kinda ran off suddenly after informing me about this meeting. I'd also like the chance to see Norman, I need to properly thank him for the other day."

“Surely there is a catch. You offer too much, and tell me too little,” Zack said, refusing to take his eyes off of Destined even for a moment.

“Zack,” Lady Kyou said in an unfamiliar gentle tone, “Koya and his group have been working on the inside of the Western government for going on five years now. It has taken them this long to discover a possible way to remove their leader from power, to stop the West’s relentless massacre on Supers and humans who associate with them. I can understand your unwillingness to do something dangerous like this. But I implore you, consider joining the group.”

“I've been considering it since I entered the room Milady. I just don't have a naive sense of duty to throw my life at danger without compensation.”

“If you need more incentive,” Destined stated with a mischievous smile. Unknowingly to everyone in the room, even to his own subordinates, the top hat he now wore had a particular curse on it. The hat didn’t take over its wearer or turn them into a demon, oh no, it instead granted the wearer the ability to read the “hearts” of anyone near them and would only occasionally whisper dark deeds into the depths of the wearers’ mind. “When you succeed, and return alive, I will grant you anything your greedy human heart could possibly desire.”

Zack stared hard at the leader of the new South. He didn't like that grin at all, it was all too telling that Destined didn't expect him to make it back alive. “Ya know, nothing motivates me more than a desire to prove someone wrong.”

Zack could have sworn that Destined’s grin grew wide the slightest bit before he spoke. His eyes never left the Lord of the South as he addressed his counterpart, “Very well Lady Kyou, I'll help. In return however I want two things when I return.”

“And those would be?” Lady Kyou asked curious what would motivate Zack into helping on a dangerous mission.

“The first is for Destined to issue a formal apology to the families who lost someone to his 'revolution'.”

Zack was immediately cut off by the sound of hysterical laughter; a laugh that sent those who had never heard it before feeling as if ice had somehow found its way into their veins. Destined, with his top hat pulled down so only his wide smile was visible, tilted his head back and laughed at the prospect. A human could have had anything in the world the South and North could provide for him . . . and he just wanted an apology. Never in his life would Destined understand humans. He had been certain Zack would want a fight against him without his powers, to have him step down as the leader of the South, or even to be put to death- never just a simple apology.

“Why should Lord Destined apologize for casualties he didn’t cause in a war to free oppressed Supers!?” Micco demanded.

Zack’s answer was honest and to the point, “Many of them had never harmed or even looked down upon Supers in anyway, and they died without just reason. That’s why.”

“Why you-!” Micco began to rise from his seat, intent on teaching this ignorant human a lesson, but stopped when Destined’s laughter finally died down and he motioned for his subordinate to sit back down. His grin still painted on his face Destined let his red eyes rest the human across from him, “When you return I will personally apologize to every human family who had a member of their family die during the revolution. Is that all you desire?”

“No. Secondly, I want adequate compensation for the job; the amount to be determined after I return from your mission,” Zack finished then finally turned to look at Lady Kyou, “I hope these terms are acceptable?”

“I have no qualms about compensating you for your part in this,” Lady Kyou pleasantly said intertwining her fingers together. Her mind drifted however momentarily to a reality where the mission was already over, where the three nations were no longer attempting to kill each other and everyone lived in peace. It was a world she desperately wanted to make a reality; she knew and clenched her grandfather’s pocket watch.

Lora and Anne had left the hovercraft. While it would get them deeper into the Wastelands than they already were faster, it was also noisy and would eventually run out of power; and places to refill in the Wastelands were rare. There was also the fact that as a Northern vehicle it’d let everyone know where they came from and be an easy way for them to be tracked. So instead both had mutually decided to walk, alone together in the Wasteland until they reached a settlement to rest at.

As they walked something or someone caught her attention, causing her skin to goose-bump when she heard a familiar voice shouting her name. “Lora!!!”

Turning to look in disbelief Lora felt her mouth hang open spotting Seiko sprinting as fast as he could towards them with a backpack as well, the idiot smiling and waving at her. “How!? How did he catch up to us so quickly!?”

“It must’ve been when while we were . . . ummm . . . borrowing the hovercraft,” Anne answered stepping aside as Sieko skidded to a stop. Lora waved the dust away from her face and narrowed her eyes at Seiko while he smiled back, “Thought you could use the help . . . and don’t give me this whole ‘I have to do this on my own’. I’m not about to just let you walk out of here without some sort of back up.”

“I’m not doing this alone,” Lora said with her annoyance obvious, motioning to Anne who gave Seiko a hesitant wave hello. Both teenage girls looked at each other, wondering what they should do about the unexpected third wheel. The options were taking him with them or try to leave him behind; in the grant scheme it was always a better idea to stick to as large a group as possible while in the Wastelands. If it wasn’t the people trying to kill you, it was either the wild life or the very terrain. Sighing Lora nodded her head, “Alright, alright Seiko . . . you can come help. But! You aren’t allowed to complain and you have to listen to everything I tell you to do. Got it? I grew up out here; you didn’t, so I know how to survive out here.”

“Just listen to the slum rat and we’ll make it back,” Anne jabbed at Lora playfully, smiling as her best friend grinned back. The grin quickly faded as she turned back to the vast expanse of the Wasteland, “We’ll let’s get going then. We have a lot to do.”

“Seiko,” Anne muttered as the group began to walk, “How did you sneak out of the walls?”

“I didn’t,” Sieko answered honestly, looking at the bespectacled girl, “I wrote Lady Kyou a letter explaining the situation before I left. She’ll get it soon, if she hasn’t already.”

Looking at Anne, Seiko hadn’t noticed Lora had stopped walking until he ran into her back. Whirling around Lora grabbed hold of Seiko by both shoulders, her grip hurting she was holding onto him so tightly, and she glared at him as her aura erupted around her, “You Did What!?”

“You idiot!” Lora shouted throwing Seiko. Luckily Anne’s force field prevented him from cracking his skull open from the impact on the hard ground, instead landing softly on the ground upside down with a fuming Super stomping towards him. Anne held herself between Lora and Seiko, “Lora we can’t change what Seiko did. We just have to move as fast as we can before Kallen or someone else catches up.”

Lora growled, an actual growl filled with anger, and she furiously unleashed her pent up anger on an ancient, rusted vehicle, exploding it with a single blast of concussive energy. Her aura vanishing she nodded and pulled her backpack back up on her shoulder, “You’re right. Let’s just hope they don’t send Cougar after us. Come on! Triple time!!!”

Anne nodded her head and took off after Lora, the Super running as if Lady Kyou herself was already right behind them. Anne looked back at Seiko while they ran and her eyes softened for a moment, silently apologizing for Lora’s actions, but ultimately she knew Seiko had made their mission that much harder and in a sense Lora was justified- to some extent.

“Then it’s settled,” Koya sounded relived hearing that Zack was going to be joining them. Sitting more upright than he had anytime previously the Western-armor wearing man spoke, “Lady Kyou, if you wouldn’t mind, I’d like to fully fill our newest comrade on exactly what our mission is.”

“Better sooner than later,” Kallen said. Zack then remembered something he had been wondering, “Before we actually get into the serious business . . .  has anyone here seen Anne? I wanted to talk to her about something, but she kinda ran off suddenly after informing me about this meeting. I'd also like the chance to see Norman, I need to properly thank him for the other day.”

“No problem,” Kallen said then nodded her head, already knowing why Anne would’ve ran from Zack, “I haven’t seen Anne since before the meeting began.”

The entire group went through one by one saying that they hadn’t seen Anne since the meeting began; a few happily gave Zack suggestions on where he might find her once the meeting was over. Speaking back up again Kallen’s tone was serious this time, “Norman is being taken care of by Doctor Todou in his private office. Unfortunately the attack seems to have left Norman in a comma and he hasn’t woken up yet. We’ve had to ask an old ally to come out of retirement just to keep information moving in the city. If you want after the meeting I can take you to Norman and you can talk to him still.”

“L-Lady Kyou!!!” a solider shouted bursting through the door, a crumbled piece of paper clenched in his fist. The soldier’s face was pale, his mouth hanging open in desperate attempts to both catch his breath and calm his nerves. Holding up the letter he visibly shook all over, eyes wide as he tried to speak, “T-The letter!!!”

“What about the letter!?” Destined demanded while Kallen took it from the solider, thanking him for brining such important news to them; wither the news was important or not, she didn’t know yet, but the way the soldier was acting, it was off putting. Skimming through the letter Kallen’s eyes grew wide before returning to normal, handing the letter quickly over to Kyou who read it in turn.

Lady Kyou took a deep breath and exhaled. Her voice didn’t betray the sense of concern she was feeling, “Koya it seems you will have to inform Zack on the full scope of your mission in the field.”

Koya knew better than to interrupt Lady Kyou as she took another calming breath, all eyes on her and ears waiting anxiously for the importance of the letter, “Seiko and Lora have left the Northern Wall and have headed into the Wastelands. Anne is most likely with them as well.”

The entire room erupted into shouts of disbelief.

“No problem,” Kallen said as she gave what Zack thought was a knowing nod, “I haven’t seen Anne since before the meeting began.”

The entire group went through one by one saying that they hadn’t seen Anne since the meeting began; a few happily gave Zack suggestions on where he might find her once the meeting was over. Zack nodded and thanked them for their suggestions, knowing he probably didn't have time to follow up on any of them.

Speaking up again Kallen’s tone was serious this time, “Norman is being taken care of by Doctor Todou in his private office. Unfortunately the attack seems to have left Norman in a comma and he hasn’t woken up yet. We’ve had to ask an old ally to come out of retirement just to keep information moving in the city. If you want after the meeting I can take you to Norman and you can talk to him still.”

"Thank you Kallen, I think I'll take you up on that off-" Zack began to respond before he was cut off by the door being blown open by a soldier. "L-Lady Kyou!!!" the soldier managed to shout as he attempted to thrust a crumpled paper forward, in a sort of offering gesture. "T-The letter!!!"

“What about the letter!?” Destined and Zack both demanded while Kallen took it from the solider, thanking him for bringing such important news to them; whether the news was important or not, she didn’t know yet, but the way the soldier was acting, it was off putting. Skimming through the letter Kallen’s eyes grew wide before returning to normal, handing the letter quickly over to Kyou who read it in turn.

Lady Kyou took a deep breath and exhaled. Her voice didn’t betray the sense of concern she was feeling, “Koya it seems you will have to inform Zack on the full scope of your mission in the field.”

"Well? What does it say?" Zack asked again, coming off as somewhat impatient.

Koya knew better than to interrupt Lady Kyou as she took another calming breath, all eyes on her and ears waiting anxiously for the importance of the letter, “Seiko and Lora have left the Northern Wall and have headed into the Wastelands. Anne is most likely with them as well.”

The entire room erupted into shouts of disbelief. Zack watched as a wave of panic slowly engulfed the room. He took a deep breath and began to analyze what little he knew about the situation. He noted that Lora could fly and Seiko could probably keep up by running after them given that he jumped out of a building with no issue. Why would they leave though? No point in trying to intercept a target if you don't know their target.

Zack walked over to the table and slapped it hard with his hand. The resulting noise caught the attention of some, and caused several to turn their heads towards him. Zack then once again displayed his hidden intellect as he took control. "Now is not the time to panic, nor is it the time to figure out why they left. Right now we need to determine their ultimate destination, because it is unlikely that we will be able to catch them, especially if I am going to be accompanying you all. We have one airborne Lora and Seiko is probably running at a pace to keep up with or at least keep her in sight."

Zack stood up, once again placing his hands in his pockets and sorely missing his daggers right now. He pressed on despite his discomfort, "Lady Kyou, why do you suspect that Anne is with them?"

An armored blond spoke up in response to Zack's inquiry. The answer was short, sharp, and dripped with apathy. "Anne is Lora's roommate."

Kallen continued the train of thought, "If Lora stopped to pack, I doubt Anne would've let her leave without an explanation."

Zack nodded. He considered for a moment that Anne ran off because she anticipated that Lora would try something. He dismissed the idea for the moment, "Alright, assuming that Anne is with them; how would she keep up? Surely Lora can't carry her that far?"

"The mode of transportation doesn't matter. As you said earlier, we need to determine their destination. Nevertheless, we cannot delay a moment longer. As we've been told, you'll be briefed in the field. For now, gear up! We pursue Lora, Seiko and possibly Anne!" Kallen more or less barked. Koya and several others snapped to attention, while Zack scratched the back of his head before giving a nod. The group began to make for the door, as Zack spoke up.

"Can I have my equipment back now?"

“Alright, alright Seiko . . . you can come help. But! You aren’t allowed to complain and you have to listen to everything I tell you to do. Got it? I grew up out here; you didn’t, so I know how to survive out here.”

"What? Just cause I was raised the rest of my life in the North, you think I can't take care of myself?" Seiko laughed a bit as he rolled his eyes. "Whatever, I get ya. Just try and not get in my way when it comes time to beat the living crap out of people."

The trio began to slowly continue on into the Wasteland, when he heard Anne speak up next.

“Seiko, how did you sneak out of the walls?”

Seiko smiled, answering the question honestly. "I didn't. I wrote Lady Kyou a letter explaining the situation before I left. She’ll get it soon, if she hasn’t already."

At this point, the young man had suddenly run into Lora's back, not understanding why she stopped...but it was fairly clear afterwards. She grabbed his shoulders in a literal death grip, with an equal death glare to match.

"You Did What!?”

Oh sheet...

“You idiot!”

With that, Lora threw Seiko, and very hard. If Anne didn't put the force-field up, he probably would have cracked his skull. He groaned some as he slowly stood up, sighing. "Well sorry! I'm supposed to be protecting Kyou and I thought she should know where the hell I'm going. Not my fault I take helping my allies seriously..." he said, finally standing up.

He watched as Lora went running on ahead, only seeing Anne silently apologizing for her actions. Seiko shrugged and waved a hand some. "Don't worry about it...truth be told, I needed to send her that letter. I'm not sure what is out there...like it or not, her sending in anyone our way...may save lives." he whispered to Anne as he ran with her to catch up to Lora.

Zack walked over to the table and slapped it hard with his hand, causing several to turn their heads toward him. “Now is not the time to panic, nor is it the time to figure out why they left. Right now we need to determine their ultimate destination, because it is unlikely that we will be able to catch them, especially if I am going to be accompanying you all. We have one airborne Lora and Seiko is probably running at a pace to keep up with or at least keep her in sight.”

“We could send Cougar out,” Koya suggested knowing the Super with superhuman speed could easily catch back up to them. Kallen shook her head in disagreement, “Yes but Lora probably won’t come back willingly. Cougar is fast and a good fighter, but I doubt he could take Lora and Anne if they fought together- not to mention they also have Seiko with them.”

“Lady Kyou, why do you suspect that Anne is with them?”

“Anne is Lora’s roommate and training partner you idiot,” an armored blond spoke up in response to Zack's inquiry, “Didn’t you know that?”

“If Lora stopped to pack, I doubt Anne would've let her leave without an explanation,” Kallen continued, “And if Lora told Anne what she was planning to do then I doubt Anne would ever let her go alone.”

Zack nodded. He had considered for a moment that Anne ran off because she anticipated that Lora would try something. He dismissed the idea for the moment, “Alright, assuming that Anne is with them; how would she keep up? Surely Lora can't carry her that far?”

“The mode of transportation doesn't matter. We need to determine their destination,” Destined interrupted, now tired of the constant banter and the prospect of the mission being delayed because of three foolish teenagers’ death wish. Destined rocked back and forth in his seat, hands tightly held against himself to contain his growing anger, “We can’t delay a moment longer.”

“Right,” Koya agreed then turned to Zack, “As you've been told, you'll be briefed in the field. Now, gear up!”

Those wearing the Western uniforms snapped to attention, while Zack scratched the back of his head before giving a nod. The group shuffled out of the door, as Zack spoke up, “Can I have my equipment back now?”

“Yes,” Koya told Zack turning with the group towards the other way, “Retrieve your weapons and pack as quickly as possible. Meet at the front gates in fifteen minutes!”

Seiko groaned some as he slowly stood up from being thrown by Lora and saved by Anne. The teenager sighed and looked at the irate girl, “Well sorry! I'm supposed to be protecting Kyou and I thought she should know where the hell I'm going. Not my fault I take helping my allies seriously . . .”

Lora took a deep breath and attempted to snap back at him, but ultimately couldn’t through her anger. Groaning she shook her head and decided best to ignore what Seiko had done. Anne took off after Lora, the Super running as if Lady Kyou herself was already right behind them. Anne looked back at Seiko while they ran and her eyes softened for a moment, silently apologizing for Lora’s actions. Seiko shrugged and waved a hand, “Don't worry about it. Truth be told, I needed to send her that letter. I'm not sure what’s out here . . . like it or not, Lady Kyou sending anyone our way may save lives.”

“You’re right,” Anne agreed, “But maybe next time, send a letter later when we might not be taken back so easily?”

The trio had run long enough with hardly any breaks from when the sun was high above their heads until the glowing orb was starting to set in the distant horizon. Amazingly they hadn’t been caught yet or had seen a single soul- ally or otherwise. Resting for one of the rare breaks Lora let them have, Anne doused her forehead with a white rag, “I don’t think we can keep going anymore today.”

“We have to if we want to make it to the farthest village,” Lora snapped back. Her mood hadn’t lightened from the running, instead the silence had only let her anger bubble and boil longer. Anne narrowed her eyes and shot up off the rock, “Okay, fine! I can’t run anymore today! You can go to the farthest village all you want but I’m heading to the closer one!”

“You could just carry us,” Seiko suggested, looking accusingly at Lora. Lora shot Seiko a glare, not wanting to hear anything much less a suggestion from him. Anne nodded her head, smiling, “Yeah it wouldn’t take us longer to reach it if you carried us and flew.”

A few seconds of thinking flew through Lora’s mind before she sighed, “Fine!”

Grabbing hold of both Seiko and Anne’s hands Lora began to gently fly higher and higher into the air. Once they were high enough Anne nodded and activated her force field around all three of them; once the shield was in place Lora let Seiko and Anne go so they could rest on the invisible bubble. Then Lora shot through the sky, the force field shakily carrying its passengers until they reach the farthest town- popping the moment they touch down.

Koya raised his voice when he spotted Zack running towards them, “Over here!”

Once the human had joined them the group was ready to go. As the large gates opened Koya filled Zack in on their initial mission, “We have three towns close by that the three could be heading too. The closest they could reach before nightfall while the farthest would take two days. So with Anne in tow they’re more likely to head to the closest town and rest there for the night. If we continue we can reach it just after nightfall. That said . . . if you can’t keep up someone is going to have to carry you.”

“Not it!” the blonde girl from earlier shouted raising her hands. Another of the soldiers, a man carrying of all things, a bow, laughed, “Oh come now Sarah that’s no fair. By the way, not it either!”

“I will carry Zack if he is unable to keep up,” Titanium announced as the gates finished opening wide enough for the group to leave. Their way clear for them the group donned the helmets they had worn when they entered and ran off; despite the constant jarring comments about being left behind, Zack oddly found it easy to keep up with the entire group. It seemed that none of them were particularly fast and none obviously possessed superhuman speed.

“A place t’ sleep?” the dirt-covered man asked as he eyed both girls in front of him, his eyes lingering a little too long on certain parts of their bodies, “Yeah Ah c’n think of a few places . . . but Ah don’ know if y’all wanna or c’n pay th’ askin’ price.”

Ignoring the lewd eyeballing Lora crossed her arms, looking down at the man cooking what little food he had, “Just tell us and we’ll find out ourselves.”

“A’right,” the man said removing the cooked rat from the white-hot coals and bite into it, “Th’ closest place would be th’ ‘Li’l Monster Inn’ a few houses down.”

“Thank you,” Anne said after Lora and Seiko left. Arriving at the Slapjack Inn none expected to see that the inn was really an orphanage, filled with more children than the house could actually hold. “Oh, great . . . home sweet home,” Lora thought looking at the building.

“I can see the village from here,” Scott said looking through the scope on his bow. The sun had already set, replaced by the full moon. Koya lowered his water bottle and capped it, “Alright. Breaks over! Let’s get down there and see if those idiots are there.”

“You’re right, but maybe next time, send a letter later when we might not be taken back so easily?”

"Was never my intention for that to be the case. I was only informing her of our whereabouts, that way they didn't exactly think her or me...or even you for that matter were going rouge." Seiko sighed as the trio continued to march on in the hot wasteland...not taking any breaks.

Eventually they stopped briefly as both Anne and Lora began to talk about not being able to continue and needing to get to the farthest village. He thought for a moment and then decided to throw in his two cents...which probably wasn't such a good idea.

"You could just carry us." Seiko suggested, but it was only met with Lora's cold glare. Apparently he said enough as it was, so he lifted up his hands and backed up, not wanting to upset her any more. "Just thinking out loud..."

“Yeah it wouldn’t take us longer to reach it if you carried us and flew.”

“Fine!”

Within moments, Lora took their hands and they began to fly off into the sky, almost immediately Anne tossed in force-fields around them to protect them. It was sort of invigorating as he watched the land and surroundings going at a high speed, which he really appreciated and loved. But, he couldn't help and wonder why Lora would've even decided to leave the North like this...and for what main reason?

Questions plagued the man's mind, as the bubbles popped some as they finally arrived near the town...

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

“A place t’ sleep? Yeah Ah c’n think of a few places . . . but Ah don’ know if y’all wanna or c’n pay th’ askin’ price.”

This guy...is SUCH a freakin' perv... Seiko rolled his eyes as he watched the man having his eyes lingering on certain parts of the two girls. Would've been easier if I talked to him...

“A’right. Th’ closest place would be th’ ‘Li’l Monster Inn’ a few houses down.”

The trio thanked the man before moving to the direction of the building that was specified. However, they found out it was an orphanage, filled with children. No one really expected the fact of this being an orphanage. The trio just stood there looking at the building...but finally Seiko stepped forward and opened the door.

When he opened the door, he saw children running around with "smiles" on their faces. He could tell they were fake, but why they wore these fake smiles was anyone's guess. Before anything else, he saw a woman frantic slowly walking towards him. "M-May I help you...?"

"Um...we need a place to stay for the night..." Seiko said slowly, seeing her hold two young kids in her arms, while another one clung to her apron.

"I...I don't think that'll be possible." she said taking a deep breath. "All our rooms are full...and I'm running low on energy to keep up with everything..."

Seiko looked for a moment and saw the one child on her apron slowly walk towards him. He looked innocent as he could be as he looked up at him. Seiko knelt down to be at his level, before hearing the child speak.

"A-Are...are you here to help us?"

"Help?"

"Your new here?" the woman asked before sighing. "There have been some raiders coming into town a-and they've been pillaging around here and making the families homeless...even forcing them to send the kids here."

That would explain the over abundance of kids here... Seiko nodded, before seeing the young boy again, looking a little teary-eyed. He had to look at that...he sighed before his put his hand on the boy's shoulder. "Hey...hey! Don't be gettin' teary...you gotta be strong and help out. C'mon...let me see you smile." he watched as the boy wiped his eyes some and smiled slightly. "That's better. I promise you...I'll figure out what's going down and help the best I can."

"Yes, because I can get from here to my room in fifteen minutes without sprinting..."

Zack didn't say anything audible to anyone nearby, but was already feeling a little put off by the attitude of the group. Zack had always thought the hardest part of joining a team was catching up with the rest. His terms had been agreed upon and so Zack couldn't in good consciousness back out now. Zack hurriedly found the guards holding his equipment and retrieved them with minimal fuss. Once outside the building he bolted back to his lodging, taking several back alley shortcuts he had been mapping over the past few days. Once he got back, he quickly donned a fresh shirt after quickly wiping himself down with a towel to prevent discomfort.

After five minutes Zack had managed to gather his essentials. His short sword was holstered around his waist as were two of his daggers. Another set of daggers and an array of throwing darts were held under his jacket. Hist belt was still lined with several throwing knives, which had now doubled in count. In his pack Zack carried three sets of clothes, an extra pair of boots, his sleeping bag, a tarp with equipment to modify into a shelter, as well as several additional throwing darts and knives. He also kept an extra dagger in his bag for cooking and skinning. After stuffing in a whetstone and two books to read during down time, Zack quickly threw the bag onto his back and tied his gang's bandanna around his head as he raced out the door.

Koya raised his voice when he spotted Zack running towards them, “Over here!”

Zack slowed his pace as he approached, thankful that he had made it in time. As he caught his breath, Koya explained the situation to him. “We have three towns close by that the three could be heading too. The closest they could reach before nightfall while the farthest would take two days. So with Anne in tow they’re more likely to head to the closest town and rest there for the night. If we continue we can reach it just after nightfall. That said . . . if you can’t keep up someone is going to have to carry you.”

“Not it!” the blonde girl from earlier shouted raising her hands. Another of the soldiers, a man carrying of all things, a bow, laughed, “Oh come now Sarah that’s no fair. By the way, not it either!”

“I will carry Zack if he is unable to keep up,” Titanium announced as the gates finished opening wide enough for the group to leave.

"I won't have to be carried! I'll have ya know dat I'm one of da fast'st guys you'll find 'round here!" Zack snapped back, slipping into his accent in his anger. The gate finally cleared as Zack watched the group don helmets that he assumed were part of the disguise they had arrived in. Not a moment later did Zack find himself in stride with the group, easily matching their pace, even with his stuffed pack weighing him down.

Either they are slowing down their pace for me, or not a single one of them possess a speed-enhancing power.

The trip was quiet and had few stops. Titanium was carrying the groups water supply, which had already been adjusted to include Zack. Zack did his best to stay hydrated as they went, but it was clear that the sun would be down soon. Zack choose to stay next to Titanium, if only because he was the only one in the group aside from Scott who hadn't been openly hostile towards him. He would've stayed near Scott to chat, but that would put him far to close to Sarah, who seemed ready to take his head off. It wasn't until after the sun had set that the team actually stopped for their rest. Zack leaned against a tree as he sipped his water, watching Scott peer through a scope attached to his bow.

“I can see the village from here,” Scott eventually spoke up while continuing to look through the scope on his bow. The sun had already set, replaced by the full moon. Koya lowered his water bottle and capped it, “Alright. Breaks over! Let’s get down there and see if those idiots are there.”

When you consider the time gap, and the nature of both Lora's and Seiko's powers the chances are slim that they are here. This entire theory hinges on Anne being the one to slow them down...

As the group descended Zack decided to ask Titanium about something that he had been pondering for some time. "Yo, Titanium. What kind of power does Anne have? I don't see why Lora would let her tag along if she was going to slow them down?"

While waiting for a response, Zack took a quick glance at the dirty little hovel being generously called a village. Not that Zack minded much, it reminded him a lot of home.

The building which Lora, Seiko, and Anne had been told was an inn turned out to be, of all things, an orphanage instead. Peering up at the three-story building that had shutters sealed shut Lora could feel her breath hitch in her chest; the place reminded her so much of her own hometown’s orphanage.

“But why can’t we take them with us? You took me with you!” Lora could hear her younger self naively ask, old memories returning to the forefront of her mind. She could hear her step-father chuckle. The sensation of his hand ruffling her hair returned forcing tears to form in Lora’s eyes as the voice she thought she’d never hear again returned, as clear as ever, “I never took you in, you just kept following me!”

“I did not!!”

“-ora! Lora!” Anne’s shout finally brought the red-head back to reality. Quick to clear the tears from her eyes out of Anne’s sight Lora turned back to look at her. It was then she realized that Seiko had already stepped inside the building without them. Groaning Lora gave Anne a quick apology before running inside to try and curve any trouble Seiko might get them in.

“I won't have to be carried! I'll have ya know dat I'm one of da fast'st guys you'll find 'round here!” Zack snapped back, slipping into his accent in his anger.

“OH! Please don’t tell me he’s going to talk like that the entire time!” Sarah cried in annoyance, running her hand down her face. No one said anything, opting to ignore the blonde’s comment. The trip had taken all day like Koya said it would, the group arriving just outside the town after the moon had already risen. Zack leaned against a tree as he sipped his water, watching Scott peer through a scope attached to his bow.

“I can see the village from here,” Scott eventually spoke up while continuing to look through the scope on his bow. The sun had already set, replaced by the full moon. Koya lowered his water bottle and capped it, “Alright. Breaks over! Let’s get down there and see if those idiots are there.”

As the group descended Zack decided to ask Titanium about something that he had been pondering for some time, “Yo, Titanium. What kind of power does Anne have? I don't see why Lora would let her tag along if she was going to slow them down?”

Titanium paused along with the rest of the group. The massive eight foot robot turned to face Zack, “I do not know the powers that Anne possesses. She arrived in the North long after I was assigned to this mission. I have yet to have what is called “face-to-face” time with Anne.”

“Anne is probably Lora’s closest friend so the two are kind of inseparable, but that’s kind of a long story,” Koya said removing his helmet while the entire group descended the hill towards the village, “But to answer your first question, as far as Lady Kyou’s told me she can generate force fields around herself that are nearly impenetrable.”

“It’s no wonder why the West kept her so in-the-dark about everything,” Sarah added in, “When Koya brought her to us she didn’t even know she was a Super.”

“I think that’s enough for now,” Koya said. The group had reached the base of the hill and the outskirts of the town. There was no one outside this late. Putting his helmet back on Koya directed everyone to search house-by-house to find Lora, Seiko, and Anne while he and Zack acquired housing for the night.

The inside of the orphanage belied the quiet outside. Children of all ages were running around and screaming in excitement. More striking though than the running, screaming children was the varied appearances the children had. Sure it was expected that children of different ethnicities dwelled in an orphanage, this orphanage being no different, but nearly every child had some kind of mutation that made them stand out visibly. Some had horns or scales, webbed feet and gills, wings, and even one kid was literally climbing the walls. In the middle of this chaos was the mother of the house, pale and excessively tired-looking.

The boy climbing the walls crawled onto the roof and over Lora and Anne, looking down at them, “Are you Sir Seiko’s friends!? Are you going to help us too!?”

“Help?” Anne asked not knowing what Seiko had promised these people. Lora merely felt a vein throb and her eye twitch, Sir . . . Seiko?”

The mother of the house gave the both of them a genuine smile and seemingly glided over to them, “We would be pleased if you stayed the night with us. Please, it’s the least we can do for what you’ve promised us.”

“Seiko!” Lora shouted making the entire orphanage grow quiet,What did you promise them!?”

The group convened up in one of the few rooms Ms. Talia had been able to provide after clearing out the children who were sleeping there- even after saying it was alright, she insisted their “heroes” have a room to themselves. Tapping her foot Lora had both arms crossed over her and had her head held down, listening to Seiko explaining what he had promised to the group of wide-eyed children.

“I told you I was the one in charge,” Lora said after Seiko had finished speaking. It was a part of her nature to help people, but she didn’t go out of her way to play the hero; heroes eventually died trying to save everyone, she wanted to live. Ignoring Seiko, if he even said anything, Lora got up and headed towards the door, “I’m going to tell them we can’t help.”

Back downstairs Lora looked across the playing children, more happy and excited than they had been in years, all because they had been promised aid by some mysterious stranger. An older person would question why someone would want to take on raiders just for a place to sleep, but children only saw good things from people. It was age that taught them that that wasn’t always the case.

“I-Is there anything else I can get for you Commander Shepard?” the barkeep nervously asked holding the most expensive bottle of alcohol he had, having just poured Koya a glass despite the disguised Super having not removed his helmet. Koya only turned his head slightly before the barkeep flinched and cowered away, “I-I’ll leave you to your business Commander Shepard . . .”

The barkeep practically ran into the back room before the door slammed behind him and locked it- for whatever good it would do. Now alone in the tavern that the group would be staying in Koya slide the drink over to Zack, “You can have it. I don’t drink.”

“I knew she wouldn’t’ve come to this place!” Sarah complained twelve drinks into her order, slamming down the thirteenth. With every succession of drink that got into her system Sarah’s voice had grown louder and louder until it was now shaking the windows, her power unconsciously working with her shouts. Joseph twirled a Western plasma pistol on one finger, chuckling at the drunk beside him, his own empty glass beside him, a genuine southern accent lacing his speech, “Ah c’mon Sarah! Don’t tell me yer getting’ drunk on ya first night! We still got two other places t’ search before we report in.”

“I don’t care,” Sarah mumbled laying her head down, a headache forming even now.

“No more for tonight Sarah,” Koya ordered and was answered with an unhappy ‘uh hu’ from across the room.

“The raiders come every week,” Lora said sitting down on the edge of the bed. She hadn’t been able to build up the nerve to tell anyone that they weren’t going to help them. Instead Lora resigned herself to the fate Seiko had signed them up for and had gotten all the information the mother of the house could provide. “Apparently they haven’t hit the town this week so they could arrive anytime tomorrow or within the next three days.”

“Do they know where the raiders are?” Anne asked, “We could just go to them and you and Seiko could beat them all.”

Lora shook her head, “No, I asked but no one knows where they’re holed up at. The group is never any less than five men strong and every one of them carry a weapon. They’re killers and they won’t hesitate to shoot if they’re shown any resistance.”

“Five?” Anne repeated surprised. From what they had gleamed from Kallen any proper raiding party required at least fifteen people if the group was going into a known territory that had Supers; the only time it would be less than fifteen was if there was a Super amongst the group. But these people sounded like common thugs, and if they all carried a weapon it was likely they didn’t possess any powers. They had to be members of a larger organization of raiders.

If that was true, even if they did defend the town from the raiders, wither they got away or not, more would eventually show up.

And they only had days before someone from the North arrived to take them back.

“Oh man whatta haul!” one of the raiders shouted reminiscing about their most recent escapades. There had been so much coin, drugs, and women he felt like he could never get enough of any; of course the boss always cut their enjoyment short. Now they were riding out to the little shithole that had just about dried up of anything worthwhile.

“Ya think they’ll be able t’ pay up?”

“If they don’  then we cut their red,” the leader of the group said to the excited cries of the raiders atop their mechanical steeds, “Boss don’ need no shithole that cain’t pay up!”

“Tomorrow the shitheads pay or get their red cut!”

“Cut their red! Cut their red! Cut their red!”

“Anne is probably Lora’s closest friend so the two are kind of inseparable, but that’s kind of a long story,” Koya said removing his helmet while the entire group descended the hill towards the village, “But to answer your first question, as far as Lady Kyou’s told me she can generate force fields around herself that are nearly impenetrable.”

"Force fields eh? I can see a lot of practical application for that." Zack commented mostly to himself.

“It’s no wonder why the West kept her so in-the-dark about everything,” Sarah added in, “When Koya brought her to us she didn’t even know she was a Super.”

Zack remained silent at this statement. He knew all about hiding oneself from others. He'd been doing it for years after all, and it was second nature at this point. To not know who, or what you really are was an unwanted experience in his mind. ​The revelation must've done a number on her...

“I think that’s enough for now,” Koya said. The group had reached the base of the hill and the outskirts of the town. There was no one outside this late. Putting his helmet back on Koya directed everyone to search house-by-house to find Lora, Seiko, and Anne while he and Zack acquired housing for the night.

Zack and Koya walked a distance down the main road in silence. Zack wasn't entirely sure what Koya was thinking about, but all Zack wanted was to find a nice, mildly safe place to rest. After coming across what seemed to be the center of town Zack stopped and pointed down a side street. "We dun wanna be on deh main road. Easi'r pickins stay on da main road, safe ding to do is get a place outta da way."

Zack had intentionally slipped into his accent to better acclimate his situation. He was in his natural environment, and as such needed to take the normal precautions. Anyone who talked with him would write him off as some duster. Now how to get away with being with this conspicuous team?

Zack eventually guided Koya to an inn that's only real sign of wear was that it's sign was hanging by a single chain and was significantly faded. Zack noted that whoever was running the racket on this inn was smart enough to not rough up the property. Zack pushed open the door and glanced around the largely deserted room. Aside from the bartender and likely the owner of the establishment, Zack noted the waitress and a couple of locals. He gave a quick grinning nod to the waitress as he swaggered up to the bar and sat down.

Koya lagged slightly at the door surveying the room. Meanwhile Zack immediately began chatting up the bartender, "So, pops. Mind if I call you pops? I'm lookin to arrange some sapce fer me and my tired traveling companions. Got anythin open?

"Sorry, inn be closed. You best get moving along to another place, we don't do business with outsiders."

Zack clicked his teeth and gave another grin. "Yeh see pops, dat really ain't an option. My. . . fellows, are mighty tired from der trip. Dey also be da type to get uppity when upset, if you catch me meaning."

"We aren't afraid of you and your ruffian fri-"

Zack looked over his shoulder as Koya finally closed on his location. He saw the barkeep's eyes go wide as Koya sat next to Zack. "Bad news commander Shepard. Pops here be sayin dat he ain't got no rooms-"

"We have plenty of room! I'll prepare them right away! You needn't worry about the cost or anything!" the barkeep cut Zack off clearly in a panic.

Zack leaned over the counter, his grin having grown wide. "See, pops? I knew we could reach an agreement!"

“I-Is there anything else I can get for you Commander Shepard?” the barkeep nervously asked holding the most expensive bottle of alcohol he had, having just poured Koya a glass despite the disguised Super having not removed his helmet. Koya only turned his head slightly before the barkeep flinched and cowered away, “I-I’ll leave you to your business Commander Shepard . . .”

The barkeep practically ran into the back room before the door slammed behind him and locked it- for whatever good it would do. Now alone in the tavern that the group would be staying in Koya slide the drink over to Zack, “You can have it. I don’t drink.”

Zack readily took the glass, "Your loss."

Zack didn't stop with just one either. He ordered several drinks, even more once Sarah showed up and started in. Zack used this time to talk with the two locals and waitress asking if they knew anything about a trio of travelers passing through. The two locals were of no help, but the waitress said she heard rumors of loud noises in the area of the village earlier in the day. So when Zack heard the barkeep was refusing any and all coin, he was more than obliged to toss them to the waitress. Zack was working on his eighteenth drink when Sarah started to complain.

“I knew she wouldn’t’ve come to this place!” Sarah was twelve drinks into her order, slamming down the thirteenth. With every succession of drink that got into her system Sarah’s voice had grown louder and louder until it was now shaking the windows, her power unconsciously working with her shouts. Joseph twirled a Western plasma pistol on one finger, chuckling at the drunk beside him, his own empty glass beside him, a genuine southern accent lacing his speech, “Ah c’mon Sarah! Don’t tell me yer getting’ drunk on ya first night! We still got two other places t’ search before we report in.”

Zack chimed in, his accent flaring as well, "She ain't drunk! See? All dat gear still be on 'er!"

“I don’t care,” Sarah mumbled laying her head down, a headache forming even now.

“No more for tonight Sarah,” Koya ordered and was answered with an unhappy ‘uh hu’ from across the room.

"Guess dat means I be stoppin too." Zack bemoaned as he downed his twenty third and final drink for the night. He stood relatively well and wasn't even stumbling as he made his way upstairs. He found one of the rooms reserved for the traveling company and set about cleaning up before going to sleep. He opted out of a shower, preferring to leave that for mornings and instead went about wiping himself down before donning new undergarments before putting on the same pants had been wearing. He then stretched and lay on one of the empty beds, beginning to doze but not entirely asleep as he kept his ears alert.

Seiko could only smile as the children began to get happy at his promise to them. They even started calling him "Sir Seiko", which had somewhat of a ring to it, at least in his mind anyway. Nevertheless, the young man smiled as he kept talking to one of the kids, who kept asking him question after question...

“Seiko! What did you promise them!?”

He could only twitch a bit in fear, turning back to see Lora and Anne walking in...and the former not looking quite happy with him...again. The young boy beside him began to slowly turn invisible due to his chameleon-esque powers, as he hid behind Seiko's leg.

"I-Is she...one of your friends...?"

"She is...don't worry...she isn't as scary as she looks..." Seiko whispered to the boy and waved sheepishly at the two.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Raiders?"

Seiko nodded as his attention turned to Anne. "Yeah. Apparently from what Ms. Lisa said, they've been coming here for a while now. They've made the families homeless and because of that...the parents were left with no choice but to send their kids here....hence the over abundance of orphans." he said before sighing. "I basically told them I was going to figure out what was going on...no matter what."

“I told you I was the one in charge, I’m going to tell them we can’t help.”

The young man could only clench his fists when Lora began to speak. He closed his eyes and tried his best to keep it together, but once she said the last part and got up, he couldn't no longer. Seiko quickly got up and grabbed Lora's arm, only to have his hand jerked back, due to her Aura flaring up and burning his hand some...not the smoothest of moves but he didn't care.

Most Emotion Anime OST ~ Kanascene

"Wait one second!" Seiko said in a very stern voice, causing the young lady to pause her trip down the stairs. "Listen Lora...your attitude sucks and you and I both know it! Yes, I believe we've figured out that by all intents and purposes, your beyond pissed at me for telling Kyou. First off, I did it to make sure she knew you weren't going AWOL! So being upset at me for that...I can sort of understand..." he said, before clenching his fists even tighter.

"But THIS right here...this is going too far!" he began to raise his voice. "Being upset at me is one thing, but don't you dare take it out on people like this! They needed help...this town has called for help multiple times...and no one has come! I saw an opportunity to help those less fortunate... I don't care if you are in charge...I don't need a reason or an order to help people!" Seiko was angry...beyond it actually. His fist began to tremble as he was two seconds close from letting loose and punching something...but if he did...he would've broke something.

"At this point...I don't give a damn about your mission of whatever your doing...cause if your not going to just help these people because of some personal vendetta or duty...then I'm done!" Seiko finished, as he walked past Anne, trying to keep his anger under control as he walked outside for a moment...to try and relax.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

After stepping outside to calm his rage, Seiko returned back into the room, stopping near Lisa before returning upstairs. "Did she...?"

"Did she what? After you walked out...your friend just went back upstairs." Lisa responded, a bit puzzled.

Seiko's heart was put at ease as he nodded, walking back into room, not saying a word.

"Are you...?" Anne asked, before Seiko nodded.

"I'm alright now..." Seiko sighed before he saw Lora just avoid eye contact with him for a moment, before returning to speaking.

“Apparently they haven’t hit the town this week so they could arrive anytime tomorrow or within the next three days.”

“Do they know where the raiders are? We could just go to them and you and Seiko could beat them all.”

“No, I asked but no one knows where they’re holed up at. The group is never any less than five men strong and every one of them carry a weapon. They’re killers and they won’t hesitate to shoot if they’re shown any resistance.”

"Five?"

"Five?" he raised an eyebrow slightly, only hearing that five men were part of this little group. "Then it wouldn't be a bad suggestion to put Anne and her forcefields to good use in helping protecting those in the crossfire, am I wrong? Think about it, Anne's fields can withstand, practically...my attacks. Again...just a thought..."

“Raiders?”

Seiko gave Anne a nod having just finished explaining the situation he had promised the three of them would help with, “Yeah. Apparently from what Ms. Lisa said, they've been coming here for a while now. They've raided the entire town for months now and, well, they leave an overabundance of orphans in their wake.”

“I told you I was the one in charge,” Lora said after Seiko had finished. Getting up from where she had leaned against the wall the young Super made her way towards the door, “I’m going to tell them we can’t help.”

Anne held her head low. She knew why Lora wasn’t so willing to help these people, even if they desperately needed the help, but she couldn’t help feeling guilty that the hope they had been given was now going to be taken away. Seiko for his part had clenched his fists in anger hearing Lora before rushing towards her, grabbing her arm as she took hold of the doorknob, “Wait one second!”

Seiko’s voice was stern enough to catch Lora’s attention and make her stop; the aura that had flared around her entire body burning Seiko’s hand, yet he kept it held tightly against her wrist. The look in Seiko’s eyes was neither anger nor sadness, instead he looked at Lora with pleading eyes, “Listen . . . Lora...your attitude sucks . . . we both know it! Yes, I believe we've figured out that by all intents and purposes, you’re beyond pissed at me for telling Kyou. I did what I did too make sure she knew you weren't going AWOL! So being upset at me for that . . . I can sort of understand . . .”

Lora’s surprised gaze turned into a spiteful glare. She tore her wrist free from Seiko and jabber her finger in his face, not caring that anyone much less the children downstairs could hear her shout, “Are you really that stupid that you’d think Kyou would ever think Anne and I went rogue!? NO! NO you didn’t think because that seems to be your defining characteristic!!! We could’ve had minimal problems with the North finding out we were gone in a few days, but instead you put them on our asses as soon as we left the gate! Now you’ve made a promise that we, if we keep, we’ll surely be caught because of it!”

The anger inside Seiko burst forth. He couldn’t take it anymore and slapped the finger out of his face, “So you’re going to leave these people just because we might get caught!? They needed help . . . this entire town needs help!!! No one has bothered to lift a finger! I saw an opportunity to help those less fortunate . . . I don't care if you are in charge or if we end up getting caught. I can’t stand by and watch people suffering like this!”

Seiko’s knuckles were white from being held so tightly together. His head down, he could feel his entire body shaking as the urge to lash out at something to relieve him of his anger bubbled underneath the surface. “I don't give a damn about your mission or whatever you’re doing . . . because if you’re not going to just help these people because of some personal vendetta or duty . . . then I'm done!”

“Then will you stay here to fight off the raiders alone?” Lora asked in a surprisingly calm tone, “Will you remain here and fight off the five raiders that come sometime this week? Can you beat all of them on your own, saving everyone in the entire town? What if you do . . . then more will come. Then what? Will you go and stop them as well!? Will you keep fighting over and over to take out the people who want to hurt innocent people because they enjoy it!?”

Lora turned around, grabbed Seiko by his collar and slammed him against the closest wall. Lifting him up so he was pressed against the wall Lora’s green eyes were ablaze with tears on the verge of falling, “Raiders only care about two things Seiko! Money and getting in their sick thrills! Rape, pillaging, killing . . . it’s all a game to them. And when . . . when they don’t find you’re little home oh . . . oh-so amusing anymore . . . they . . . they . . .”

Lora let Seiko slide back to his feet, releasing him, “There will always be people who hurt others no matter how many get cut down. Accept it Seiko and move on . . .”

For a moment Lora and Anne were quiet. Neither spoke. The entire house was silent, still. In its place he heard the door open, “If you don’t like that I’m in charge then stay here. We’re not helping and that’s final.”

“I knew she wouldn’t’ve come to this place!” Sarah was twelve drinks into her order, slamming down the thirteenth. Joseph twirled a pistol on one finger, chuckling at the drunk beside him, his own empty glass beside him, a genuine southern accent lacing his speech, “Ah c’mon Sarah! Don’t tell me yer getting’ drunk on ya first night! We still got two other places t’ search before we report in.”

Zack chimed in, his accent flaring as well, "She ain't drunk! See? All dat gear still be on 'er!"

“I don’t care,” Sarah mumbled laying her head down, a headache forming even now, “And I . . . I’ll kick . . . ya ass Zim if ya . . . accent anymore . . .”

“No more for tonight Sarah,” Koya ordered and was answered with an unhappy ‘uh hu’ from across the room.

“Guess dat means I be stoppin too,” Zack bemoaned as he downed his twenty third and final drink for the night and stumbled his way upstairs. Donning new undergarments he stretched and laid on one of the empty beds. Beginning to doze Zack kept his ears alert for anything that came into the room. The sound of footfall ascending the stairs alerted him to some of the others getting ready to sleep while the door opening to his room let him know the obvious.

He was going to be bunking with someone tonight.

“I hope you haven’t passed out from drinking yet,” Koya said with a hint of amusement in his voice, a smile hidden behind his helmet. Removing said attire Koya placed it beside the bed. “If you’re not awake I’m going to have to have Sarah come in here and give you a drunken scream to wake you up. Then . . . after you’re hearing returns . . . I can fill you in on what the actual mission is.”

After Lora had left to let Ms. Lisa know she and Anne weren’t going to help, Seiko had stepped outside to calm down. When he came back he returned upstairs after a confusing conversation with the lady of the house.

“A-Are you . . .?” Anne fumbled, peering down and away from Seiko as she tried to ask if he was alright. Seiko nodded, sighing, “I’m alright now.”

Seiko and Lora stole glances at each other before immediately avoiding any further eye contact. Lora coughed to get their attention, “Apparently the Raiders haven’t hit the town this week so they could arrive anytime tomorrow or within the next three days.”

“Do they know where the raiders are? We could just go to them and you and Seiko could beat them all.”

“No, I asked but no one knows where they’re holed up at. The group is never any less than five men strong and every one of them carry a weapon. They’re killers and they won’t hesitate to shoot if they’re shown any resistance.”

“Five?” Seiko raised his eyebrow slightly, “Then it wouldn't be a bad suggestion to put Anne and her force fields to good use in helping protecting those in the crossfire, am I wrong? Think about it, Anne's fields can withstand, practically . . . my attacks.”

Seiko thought for a moment and shrunk back a bit, “Again . . . just a thought . . .

Lora took a deep breath and exhaled, looking down at a map she had borrowed from Ms. Lisa. The town could be easily accessed from any direction and had very few defenses. “Normally I’d like to keep Anne as far away from the fighting as possible. But I don’t think she can generate a force field large enough to protect the entire town or even just the orphanage.”

Anne peered at the map and shook her head, “I can put three, maybe four people in a comfortably sized force field for a few minutes. The smaller the force field is the longer I can keep it solid. But an entire building is . . .”

Lora nodded and finally looked at Seiko, “So I think our best option would be for the three of us to confront the Raiders before they even get into town. We act like what we are . . . travelers that just happened to have the misfortune to run across a group of Raiders. That way no connection is made back to the town so they’ll not come looking for revenge.”

Anne smiled pointing to Lora and Seiko, “Then you two take out the Raiders as fast as you can while I provide support. Sound like a plan?”

“Mhmm,” Lora agreed with a yawn, rubbing her eyes. Another yawn escaped her mouth and Lora sat on the edge of her bed, “I . . . I think we should . . . get some sleep though. I’m beat emotionally and physically!”

In a matter of minutes Lora was completely out, sprawled out over the entire bed with one head hanging off of the mattress and her head on the wrong end. Anne giggled at her snoring best friend and glanced out at the full moon sky. “Seiko c-can I . . . talk to you . . . for a minute, please? It’s about L-Lora and what . . . she said . . . earlier. You know . . . about her home and why I-I think she left the North . . .

Anne stood and waited for Seiko to follow her outside, through the quiet house and over sleeping children, until they were seated on the rooftop underneath the clear night sky.

“I hope you haven’t passed out from drinking yet,” Koya said with a hint of amusement in his voice, a smile hidden behind his helmet. Removing said attire Koya placed it beside the bed. “If you’re not awake I’m going to have to have Sarah come in here and give you a drunken scream to wake you up. Then . . . after you’re hearing returns . . . I can fill you in on what the actual mission is.”

"Imma 'wake if dats wat you're askin. Pardon me if I dun feel inclined to sit up an' list'n." Zack continued to be stretched out on the bed as Koya arranged his gear in an organized fashion. Zack popped an eye open to get a better look at the guy without all his clunky gear on. He looked a bit taller than Zack, with jet black hair and lightly colored eyes. As he went about his business Zack noted that his attire was much like his own, a comfortable set of clothing that was also out of the way in action.

Zack yawned a bit and did his best to focus his mind, even though this was nothing for him he was still a bit tipsy. Last thing he needed to do was doze on his comrade. Zack continued to lay flat on his back as Koya sat on his own bed. Koya moved to speak, but Zack asked a question before Koya could begin, "Why do ya need someone like me anyway? I already pointed out dat I ain't special, so why bother wit me at all?"

“Are you really that stupid that you’d think Kyou would ever think Anne and I went rogue!? NO! NO you didn’t think because that seems to be your defining characteristic!!! We could’ve had minimal problems with the North finding out we were gone in a few days, but instead you put them on our asses as soon as we left the gate! Now you’ve made a promise that we, if we keep, we’ll surely be caught because of it!”

This kept ringing on in Seiko's mind as he listened to Lora talk to him and Anne. He could only let out a soft sigh as he closed his eyes. Somewhere deep inside, he actually thought he was helping their case, but apparently he screwed it up more than he thought. Was...only trying to help... he thought before his mind brought more to his memory...

~~~~~~~~

The Other Promise

“So you’re going to leave these people just because we might get caught!? They needed help... this entire town needs help!!! No one has bothered to lift a finger! I saw an opportunity to help those less fortunate... I don't care if you are in charge or if we end up getting caught. I can’t stand by and watch people suffering like this!” he said, smacking Lora's finger from his face. “I don't give a damn about your mission or whatever you’re doing... because if you’re not going to just help these people because of some personal vendetta or duty... then I'm done!”

What was said next...Seiko wasn't prepared to answer...

“Then will you stay here to fight off the raiders alone?” Lora asked in a surprisingly calm tone, “Will you remain here and fight off the five raiders that come sometime this week? Can you beat all of them on your own, saving everyone in the entire town? What if you do . . . then more will come. Then what? Will you go and stop them as well!? Will you keep fighting over and over to take out the people who want to hurt innocent people because they enjoy it!?”

Seiko wanted to answer with, "Of course I'll stop them...", but words couldn't form and he fell silent as he couldn't bear to truly answer it. Then he was caught off guard by Lora, who gripped him by the collar and continued...

“Raiders only care about two things Seiko! Money and getting in their sick thrills! Rape, pillaging, killing . . . it’s all a game to them. And when . . . when they don’t find you’re little home oh . . . oh-so amusing anymore . . . they . . . they . . ." she paused, before dropping him to his feet, as he just stared at the obviously conflicted Super. “There will always be people who hurt others no matter how many get cut down. Accept it Seiko and move on . . .”

“If you don’t like that I’m in charge then stay here. We’re not helping and that’s final.”

~~~~~~~~

His thought brought him back to the present moment, as Lora spoke again.

“So I think our best option would be for the three of us to confront the Raiders before they even get into town. We act like what we are . . . travelers that just happened to have the misfortune to run across a group of Raiders. That way no connection is made back to the town so they’ll not come looking for revenge.”

Anne had already answered, and the two could only look at Seiko for his response. To their surprise, he remained quiet as he slowly nodded his head, before shifting his vision to the floor. The trio began to ready themselves for bed, but Anne stopped him from this.

“Seiko c-can I . . . talk to you . . . for a minute, please? It’s about L-Lora and what . . . she said . . . earlier. You know . . . about her home and why I-I think she left the North . . .

This caught the young man off guard, but glanced over at the sleeping Lora. The last thing I need is for her to yell at me for just up and leaving... he thought, reluctant to even go with Anne, who was already outside waiting. He let out a small sigh before slowly making his way out of the orphanage and outside to where Anne stood waiting.

"I'm here..." Seiko said slowly, hands dug into his pockets as he looked at Anne for a slight moment before staring up at the moon above. "I think I've just succeeded in pissing Lora off, rather than helping...wouldn't you say, Anne?"

“I hope you haven’t passed out from drinking yet,” Koya said with a hint of amusement in his voice, a smile hidden behind his helmet. Removing said attire Koya placed it beside the bed. “If you’re not awake I’m going to have to have Sarah come in here and give you a drunken scream to wake you up. Then . . . after you’re hearing returns . . . I can fill you in on what the actual mission is.”

“Imma 'wake if dats wat you're askin. Pardon me if I dun feel inclined to sit up an' list'n,” Zack said yet continued to remain stretched out on the bed. Koya continued to remove the rest of his gear, arranging them neatly alongside the dresser that had come with the room. Placing the last bit of armor on the dresser Koya sat on his own bed then heard Zack yawn. “Why do ya need someone like me anyway? I already pointed out dat I ain't special, so why bother wit me at all?”

“If you’ll knock off that ridiculous accent while we’re alone then sure,” Koya said with a grin, “Though I was planning on telling you anyways.”

Crossing his arms Koya sighed and lowered his head, explaining, “To be honest the only reason you’re coming with us is because we need an ace in the hole. If things don’t go the way we plan you might be one of the few people we can rely on to finish this.”

“Seiko c-can I . . . talk to you . . . for a minute, please? It’s about L-Lora and what . . . she said . . . earlier. You know . . . about her home and why I-I think she left the North . . .”

Though reluctant to go with Anne, Seiko let out a small sigh before slowly making his way outside to where Anne stood waiting. Seiko hands dug into his pockets as he looked at Anne for a moment, “I think I've just succeeded in pissing Lora off rather than helping . . . wouldn't you say, Anne?”

Anne completely ignored Seiko’s question. Instead she was solely focused on a piece of chalk in hand that s firmly planted on the shingles of the roof. Concentrating on drawing a circle once she finished Anne turned her back to Seiko and pointed at the circle, shouting nervously, “Circle! Circle now!”

Anytime Seiko would attempt to say something Anne would merely repeat herself- circle or circle now. Ultimately Seiko would have to give in and step into the circle. In the circle Anne turned on him in a flurry of motion, forcing him to sit down and blindfolding him before she finally backed away; all the time she was doing this she constantly apologized and told him to just “do this”. Now blindfolded and told to neither stand nor leave the circle, Anne exhaled in relief, “Thank you Seiko . . .”

“I’m not very good speaking to men . . . males in general,” Anne admitted blushing in embarrassment. If it hadn’t been for the blindfold preventing Seiko from seeing her reddening face the bespectacled brunette would’ve fled. Sitting down Anne continued, “I used to be unable to even look a guy in the face, much less talk to them without running away. I can talk confidently, but only like . . . well . . . you’re getting the experience . . .”

Time slowly passed by as Lora and Seiko remained silent in the nighttime air. Far away the wildlife gave ambient noise while the wind rustled the barren branches of a nearby long dead tree. Finally Anne spoke, brushing some of her hair back behind her ear and removing her glasses, “Did you know Lora’s dad died trying to save her from a Western scientist who had kidnapped her to experiment on?”

“What I mean is,” Koya managed to get in after Zack had begun speaking, riddling him with even more questions, “The mission could end up killing every Super on it . . . if we’re not all caught, of course. So we need a few non-Supers to accompany us and you were recommended by one of the others. Before you ask, no, I don’t know who it was.”

Koya sighed and rotated his right arm to ease the tension out of it. “While operating under the cover of the Western Government’s Beta Squadron we became privy to quite a few trade secrets.”

Koya grinned, seeing Zack perk up hearing this, “For instance the reason why the West has never sent a full-scale assault on any other ‘country’ in years. Come to find out that there is only six full Squadrons at the West’s disposal- excluding for ours. These six Squadrons are led by heavy hitters, powerful Supers behind the West’s insane cause. But they’re not powerful enough to topple another country . . . at least not if the other countries rally together.”

“But being one of the leaders of these Squadrons I was given missions. Most of them were what you’d expect; guide an important person here or there, protect an important area from Raiders who were plundering the crops, go take care of some terrorists that are causing trouble. But then-”

“Then three years ago all of th’ Squadron bosses got a spec’al assignment, classified only for’em,” Joseph interrupted stumbling into the room with Sarah on his shoulder, almost passed out. Grinning as he pointed a gun at Koya the drunken soldier gave a breathy laugh, “He was supposed t’ keep’is eyes peeled for someone named Yaming. An’ here’s th’ real kicker!!! Koya already knew’er!!! Ain’t that right Sarah? Sarah?”

Joseph shook his now unconscious friend before laughing. Koya ushered both of them out of the room and shut the door, apologizing for them; he added in both of them enjoy partying the first night and wouldn’t be like this for the rest of the mission.

“I never met him,” Anne said before the silence grew too long, “But get Lora reminiscing about him and she’ll go on for hours. Literal hours . . .”

Anne giggled at the memory of Lora telling story after story about her father, the excitement in her voice growing with each passing tale. “Lora used to live deep in the Western Government’s influence in the Wastelands. It was routine for soldiers to show up and take anyone who showed signs of being a Super. Apparently she lost a lot of friends like that, but her dad never hid their powers from everyone. Then the Raiders came . . .”

Anne slowly told Seiko Lora’s sorted past. Once the Raiders came the soldiers backed off, content to watch the village struggle to pay the Raiders and them, until they couldn’t anymore . . .

“So let me get this straight?” the leader of the Raiders asked, looking down at what in the past might be called the town’s mayor, the elderly man’s face bloodied underneath his boot, “You don’t have anything to give us?”

The man attempted garble words out through the blood spilling out of his mouth. If he could speak clearly his begging would only fall on deaf ears or, worse, laughed at. All the leader cared about was getting what he wanted. Anything less was unacceptable. Kicking the mayor one more time the leader used him as a chair, addressing his compatriots, “Al’ight boys! They ain’t got no money for us! Kill whatever ya want! Take whatever ya want! Women! Children! Hell! Grab a man or two if’n you’re into that sheet!!!”

The Raiders cheered enthusiastically and set loose on the entire town. Nothing escaped. If it didn’t go willingly it either burned or was stabbed- sometimes both. The entire town was soon in a panic, people running around trying to escape the Raiders before being cut down by a laughing Raider riding through the streets with the dead chained to his bumper. Through the entire thing Lora hide where her dad had told her too, trying her best to ignore the screams and laughter all around her. “Dad will be back and save me . . .”

“We got ‘nother one ‘ere!” a Raiders voice called out behind Lora before ragging out from underneath her bed. Struggling to free herself from the man’s grip the three Raiders laughed at her attempts; any contact she made was barely felt by the larger men. Pulling Lora into a headlock the Raider’s disgusting tongue dragged itself across her cheek, “She’s a mighty fine young’un. What do y’all think?”

“Seems a tad t’ feisty,” the third laughed watching Lora try to kick the Raider holding her. The other Raider waved his ally off, one hand on his waist line and the other reaching out, “Nuh uh bro . . . we’ve ‘ad feisty before . . . They don’ last long after ya break’em in!”

“That fuckin’ hurt ya jabroni!” the Raider shouted back taking out his knife, dropping Lora’s underwear to hold his bleeding ear. Glaring at the little red haired jabroni the Raider sunk the knife into her side and grinned hearing her scream, “That’s what ya get fer biting me ya bit-”

The Raider never finished. The pain of being stabbed along with what the Raider had planned, and probably planned to finish through with, had pushed Lora far enough. She didn’t care if the Western Soldiers burst in right after. She was going to kill these men! One solid, powerful blast had blown the Raider’s head clean off.

“funk! She’s a Super!” the now second Raider shouted going for the dropped knife while the other tried to snap her neck. The building exploding made neither accomplish their goal.

Sitting back down Koya nodded, “Yes I do know Yaming. I even know her husband. All three of us met during the Southern Civil War five years ago. They left to return to the Wasteland to help people. We lost contact with them, but we managed to locate them after a year. Apparently Yaming is somehow related to the Western General, though she doesn’t remember how . . . amnesia apparently . . . not even Norman could unearth the reason.”

“Yaming can succeed the current Western General if he dies. That said, we were waiting for a chance for a coupe d’état,” Koya paused for a few seconds, chuckling under his breath, “Apparently we got lucky and Yaming’s husband, Joshua, had managed to steal plans for a weapon the West has been developing . . .”

Koya went on explaining the West’s newest weapon. How, after Project Automaton had failed with Alisa’s escape, the West had started developing a weapon that would “kill all Supers on the planet once and for all”. What was worse, the plans had detailed the weapon with a mixture of clarity and obscurity. They knew that the weapon was close to completion but had no idea exactly how it was supposed to eliminate every single living Super.

“That’s the goal of this mission,” Koya said once he had finished explaining, “We’re going to invade the West, take that weapon if possible, or destroy it if we can’t, and put Yaming in control. After we find Lora, Seiko, and Anne ad bring them back we're going to meet up with Yaming and Joshua.”

“My . . . God,” Lora’s dad muttered seeing the remaining burning buildings, the scattered dead, the remaining Raiders fleeing, and in the middle of the town a crying girl. Rushing over he scooped Lora up, pressing his hand against the bleeding wound as her tiny arms wrapped tightly around his neck.

“After he died Lora wandered around until she ran into someone named Koya,” Anne said after finishing the story and had given Seiko enough time to let it all sink in. She answered any question he had, as best she could, and then resumed, “Apparently after meeting him and his group Koya and Lora eventually got mixed up in the Southern Civil War, she says it was all Koya’s fault though, and after that she moved to the North to train under Lady Kyou.”

“One of the friends she lost during the Southern Civil War was Amber.” Seiko had been briefed, however shortly, on the terrorists who had attacked the North; the leader was named Amber, and she had died by Lord Destined’s hand. Anne watched for Seiko to make the connection and nodded, forgetting he still couldn’t see her, “The Amber that attacked the North is . . . was . . . the same person she was friends with; the same one that died. But apparently there are differences. Lora said Amber was never a Super and that she never hated the North, she fought for it. So I think Lora came out to figure out how her friend came back to life . . .”

“And, this is just me, but I think she maybe hopes she can bring her dad back . . .”

Seiko began to frown when Anne ignored his question, but watched as she made a circle with chalk and made him walk into it. Oh this gets better and better... he thought sarcastically, before finally standing in the circle...and being forced to both sit and be blindfolded by Anne.

“Thank you Seiko . . .I’m not very good speaking to men . . . males in general. I used to be unable to even look a guy in the face, much less talk to them without running away. I can talk confidently, but only like . . . well . . . you’re getting the experience . . .”

"Thankfully you told me that...otherwise I probably would've thought this was going a whole different direction." Seiko chuckled to himself, before clearing his throat. "Bad humor, don't worry about it, Anne."

Silence was met when he said this, and he hoped he hadn't made her run off by that terrible joke. But, his heart was put at ease when Anne spoke again...

“Did you know Lora’s dad died trying to save her from a Western scientist who had kidnapped her to experiment on?”

This was news to him. Seiko hadn't heard much about Lora's father, mainly cause the topic never came up in conversation so he never bothered to ask. But... "What was she being experimented on?" he asked.

After he got his answer, Anne continued on with Lora's story...

“Lora used to live deep in the Western Government’s influence in the Wastelands. It was routine for soldiers to show up and take anyone who showed signs of being a Super. Apparently she lost a lot of friends like that, but her dad never hid their powers from everyone. Then the Raiders came . . .”

"Raiders?!" Seiko exclaimed, before growing silent. Things were slowly coming together for him, especially with the conversation that transpired not too long ago. And as Anne continued, he began to see why she said those things. "T-That's why...I didn't know..." he mumbled to himself.

The story continued as Anne finally drew it to a close, sighing.

“After he died Lora wandered around until she ran into someone named Koya. Apparently after meeting him and his group Koya and Lora eventually got mixed up in the Southern Civil War, she says it was all Koya’s fault though, and after that she moved to the North to train under Lady Kyou. One of the friends she lost during the Southern Civil War was Amber."

Amber...yes, that was the one who attacked with the terrorists... Seiko thought with a nod, before finally putting pieces together. That's...that's why she asked me that question...oh my god...I must've sounded like a total idiot when I gave that answer. GOD!

"So I think Lora came out to figure out how her friend came back to life . . . And, this is just me, but I think she maybe hopes she can bring her dad back . . .”

Seiko sat their quietly before sighing. This put Lora in a different perspective for him and Anne's theory and thought wouldn't have been far-fetched in his mind. If he was in Lora's position...he would've thought the same...and risked whatever he could do to bring back his parents, if they were dead. A small tear fell from the blindfolded boy's eye as he lowered his head slightly.

"I-I...understand...thanks Anne..." Seiko finally spoke before sighing. "Knowing this...I really screwed things up then..."

“If you’ll knock off that ridiculous accent while we’re alone then sure,” Koya said with a grin, “Though I was planning on telling you anyways.”

Crossing his arms Koya sighed and lowered his head, explaining, “To be honest the only reason you’re coming with us is because we need an ace in the hole. If things don’t go the way we plan you might be one of the few people we can rely on to finish this.”

Zack merely shrugged from his position and waited for Koya to continue. He didn't have to wait long, and as Koya explained a few things Zack had him pause and answer a few questions here and there.

“What I mean is,” Koya managed to get in after Zack had begun speaking, riddling him with even more questions, “The mission could end up killing every Super on it . . . if we’re not all caught, of course. So we need a few non-Supers to accompany us and you were recommended by one of the others. Before you ask, no, I don’t know who it was.”

Wasn't going to ask anyway.

Zack was more curious as to what could defeat a bunch of trained supers, yet be defeated by the likes of him. Apparently Koya was more than inclined to inform him.

Koya sighed and rotated his right arm to ease the tension out of it. “While operating under the cover of the Western Government’s Beta Squadron we became privy to quite a few trade secrets.”

Zack stiffened a bit and slightly shifted to face Koya a bit.

Koya grinned, seeing Zack perk up hearing this, “For instance the reason why the West has never sent a full-scale assault on any other ‘country’ in years. Come to find out that there is only six full Squadrons at the West’s disposal- excluding for ours. These six Squadrons are led by heavy hitters, powerful Supers behind the West’s insane cause. But they’re not powerful enough to topple another country . . . at least not if the other countries rally together.”

“But being one of the leaders of these Squadrons I was given missions. Most of them were what you’d expect; guide an important person here or there, protect an important area from Raiders who were plundering the crops, go take care of some terrorists that are causing trouble. But then-”

“Then three years ago all of th’ Squadron bosses got a spec’al assignment, classified only for’em,” Joseph interrupted stumbling into the room with Sarah on his shoulder, almost passed out. Grinning as he pointed a gun at Koya the drunken soldier gave a breathy laugh, “He was supposed t’ keep’is eyes peeled for someone named Yaming. An’ here’s th’ real kicker!!! Koya already knew’er!!! Ain’t that right Sarah? Sarah?”

Joseph shook his now unconscious friend before laughing. Koya ushered both of them out of the room and shut the door, apologizing for them; he added in both of them enjoy partying the first night and wouldn’t be like this for the rest of the mission.

Zack couldn't help but chuckle as the lightweights failed to regain control of their senses. He continued to remain silent for the most part as Koya began to step away from the door.

Sitting back down Koya nodded, “Yes I do know Yaming. I even know her husband. All three of us met during the Southern Civil War five years ago. They left to return to the Wasteland to help people. We lost contact with them, but we managed to locate them after a year. Apparently Yaming is somehow related to the Western General, though she doesn’t remember how . . . amnesia apparently . . . not even Norman could unearth the reason.”

“Yaming can succeed the current Western General if he dies. That said, we were waiting for a chance for a coupe d’état,” Koya paused for a few seconds, chuckling under his breath, “Apparently we got lucky and Yaming’s husband, Joshua, had managed to steal plans for a weapon the West has been developing . . .”

Koya went on explaining the West’s newest weapon. How, after Project Automaton had failed with Alisa’s escape, the West had started developing a weapon that would “kill all Supers on the planet once and for all”. What was worse, the plans had detailed the weapon with a mixture of clarity and obscurity. They knew that the weapon was close to completion but had no idea exactly how it was supposed to eliminate every single living Super.

“That’s the goal of this mission,” Koya said once he had finished explaining, “We’re going to invade the West, take that weapon if possible, or destroy it if we can’t, and put Yaming in control. After we find Lora, Seiko, and Anne and bring them back we're going to meet up with Yaming and Joshua.”

"I see. High Stakes, High Reward then?" Zack yawned before sitting up for a moment. He gave Koya one of his signature grins, a sort of mischievous gleam in his eye.

"If I were a gambling man, I'd say that I'd be willing to go all in on something like this!"

Zack and Koya stayed up a bit longer to answer a few minor questions Zack had about the group and the area they were currently in. Once they finished, they both called in and fell asleep. Zack woke up the next morning to find that Koya had already stepped out, gear and all. A note left for him said that he would be downstairs getting the others to sober up for the journey. Zack stuffed the note away and showered. Once done, he donned his travel gear once again and went downstairs to see the lightweights in all their misery.

“So I think Lora came out to figure out how her friend came back to life . . . and, this is just me, but I think she maybe hopes she can bring her dad back . . .”

Seiko sat their quietly before sighing. This put Lora in a different perspective for him and Anne's theory wasn't so far-fetched to him. If he was in Lora's position, he would've risked whatever he could do to bring back his parents. Seiko lowered his head slightly, “I . . . I understand. Thanks Anne. Knowing this, I really screwed things up then . . .”

Seiko could feel Anne’s hand on his shoulder, gently squeezing him reassuringly as she softly spoke, “No you didn’t. You couldn’t have known. There was no way you could ever have known. But Seiko please remember that Lora isn’t the type of girl to open up about her past. So please don’t bring it up to her. Just . . . keep it in mind when she’s being difficult. Okay?”

With their conversation finished Anne set to releasing Seiko from his bindings and then disposing of the blindfold. The moment it was off Seiko could see Anne had already dashed off of the roof and called out from where ever she was hiding, “T-Thank you for listening!!!”

Back in the room Lora remained completely asleep, unaware her best friend had just explained her past to Seiko, and merely rolled over on the bed as she continued to sleep.

“That’s the goal of this mission. We’re going to invade the West, take that weapon if possible, or destroy it if we can’t, and put Yaming in control. After we find Lora, Seiko, and Anne and bring them back we're going to meet up with Yaming and Joshua.”

“I see. High Stakes, High Reward then?” Zack yawned, sitting up for a moment. Koya shook his head, “More like our hand is being forced. Our options are to do nothing and let the weapon kill everyone or try to do something about it and either destroy the weapon or turn it on its creators.”

“If I were a gambling man, I'd say that I'd be willing to go all in on something like this!”

“Glad to hear you’ve finally come aboard on our little ‘suicide mission’,” Koya remarked with a smirk. The two remained awake for a bit longer, Koya ending up answering any questions Zack had about the group and the area they were currently in. Once they finished, they both called it a night and fell asleep.

Zack woke up the next morning to find that Koya had already stepped out, gear and all. A note greeted him at the door explaining that everyone would be downstairs. Zack donned his travel gear once again and went downstairs to see the lightweights in all their misery. Treading on the last step Zack was greeted with a wholly unpleasant sight.

Not a single person looked miserable. At all.

Instead everyone looked ready to go without the slightest hint of a headache or any evidence that some of them had been drinking last night. Joseph chuckled noticing the look on Zack’s face, “Disappointed ‘bout somethin’?”

“Bet he thought we’d be asleep or hung over,” Sarah called from her spot on top of one of the tables. She turned her head towards Zack with a smug grin, “We’re professionals . . .”

“It also helps that we’re used to it and that the most hung over of us has already been up for five hours,” Scott remarked with a shrug towards Sarah. The blonde woman was up an alert, geared for the trip towards the other two villages they still had to go to, but there were noticeable black bags under her eyes and she was stifling a yawn every so often. Sarah shot Scott a glare and took a deep breath, speaking without letting the breath out, “If I were you I’d apologize before you get blown straight the funk through the wall behind you.”

“We don’t have time for petty squabbles you two,” Koya stated, “We have two villages to go to, search, and question if we’re going to find those three. We need to get this done as soon as possible so we can focus on our true mission. Understood?”

“Yes sir!”

Earlier:

The sun hadn’t even risen yet and Lora was already up; as well as the rest of the household. All around children were running with renewed energy, laughing, screaming, crying, and just being children. Lora had let Ms. Lisa know of their plans and, after reassuring her they’d be alright, was given well wishes. Lora had to wait a few minutes for Anne to get up and join her . . . and a couple hours before Lora had to go up and rouse Seiko from his sleep.

Once she had finally woken the teenager up she had him repeat what their plan was; correcting anything he got wrong. With her mind somewhat at ease she stopped Seiko from leaving the room, her face stern, “Seiko . . . look . . . I’m not saying that I don’t trust Anne to take care of herself or that she can’t . . . but if I tell you at any time to grab Anne and run- do it.”

The trio reconvened back downstairs and, with all of their supplies at the ready, left the ‘Little Monster Inn’. As they made their way through the main street the realization that every single citizen of the town was staring at them quickly dawned on all three of them; Lora ignored them as best she could while Anne clung tightly against Lora’s side almost feeling the men’s eyes staring at her, making her uncomfortable. Naturally in the hours that Lora and Anne had waited for Seiko to naturally wake up the children of the ‘Little Monster Inn’ had ran throughout the entire town to let everyone know “the good news.” Some of the villagers saw them as a possible answer to their prayers, saviors sent by the Gods themselves; others saw them as a bunch of ignorant brats who would only make things worse; while there were those who simply believed they were watching three people walking towards their deaths.

Far enough on the outskirts of the village that it was barely visible Lora stopped by a large outcropping of rocks. Tossing her backpack onto the rocks she sat down, “This should be a good enough place to stay until the Raiders come.”

The wait wasn’t more than an hour before the collective roar of the Raiders’ motorcycles pierced the surrounding silence. Jumping up from where she had been laying Anne quickly cleaned her glasses, spotting the group of Raiders riding towards them then shouted as they had planned, “Raiders!!!”

Yet instead of five men on motorcycles the dust cloud parted way to reveal that the group consisted of nearly fifty or more men and women. “Of all of the things to change,” Lora thought watching the group circle around them until the only options for escape were to fly or somehow go underground. Kicking the stand for his bike the leader of the Raiders lightly tapped his plasma rifle over his shoulders, “Well, well, well . . . look what we found gents! A nice, hot appetizer before we get our rocks off burning down the shithole!”

The group gave cat-calls to the two women, a few even thrown in Seiko’s direction, while others shouted vulgarities about them or what they were going to do to such “pretty, clean little children who wander around in the Waste.” Weapons of all kinds aimed at them Lora and Anne slowly raised their hands. “What do we do now?”

“I’m thinking,” Lora whispered as the leader of the Raiders grew closer. When he was in range to get a proper look at Anne and Seiko could hear Lora gasp and at the same time the Raider stopped mid-step, eyes wide. “That jabroni just bit me!” Both recognized each other.

Lowering her head Lora’s aura flared to its most violent, her voice almost growling, “You!”

“You!” the Raider shouted back, the full grasp of his situation hitting a second later, “Oh! funk . . . Me . . . Sideways! Shoot the red-haired jabroni! For funk’s sake shoot her now!!!”

“Yes sir!” the group snapped to attention and saluted before a shockwave rocked the village. Rushing outside the entire town could see a large dust cloud had been kicked up high into the air from the farthest village. “I believe it will be easy to locate our targets now.”

“Was that sarcasm just now? Joseph asked looking at Titanium. “I am not programmed for sarcasm.”

“I’m proud of you big guy . . .”

“Move!” Koya shouted and charged towards the boarders of the town and the village beyond it.

Lora had squeezed her fists tightly, focusing enough energy to blow all of the Raiders to Hell. She knew that Anne’s force field would protect her and Seiko from any stray plasma shot or bladed weapon; it’d even protect them from Lora’s own blast. A few plasma rifle hits to the body would be well worth killing all of these Raiders Lora thought.

Then the first explosion struck. One Raider vanished from the blast. Then a volley of explosions that weren’t Lora’s struck the gang of Raiders, killing multiple Raiders in an instant. The Leader turned to look at Lora, his eyes blurred by irrational anger, and hoisted a plasma cannon at her, “You jabroni! I’ll kill you for this!”

An explosion killed the leader before he could fire, sending Lora flying back from the shockwave and into Seiko. The explosions continued all around them as the Raiders screamed, panicked, and tried to fight back against whatever was attacking them. A few who still believed that Lora was the cause had attempted to shoot her, but Anne had pulled Seiko and her against her and raised a force field to shield them. When the explosions had ceased Anne looked up and gasped in horror. All around them mutilated bodies lied scattered around, limbs deposited wherever gravity had decided they should. Yet despite the blasts some of the Raiders had managed to survive.

Those Raiders were now currently being picked off by Western-Armor clad soldiers.

Somewhere behind them the three heard a whistle, “Damn it Ike! Couldn’t you have left a few standing for my men?”

“A Small-Scale Ballistic Volley was the most optimal way to eliminate as many hostile targets,” the mechanical voice replied as his shoulder cannon slide back to its resting place. The other man ran his right hand through his scarlet red hair, “Yeah and, y’know, you left me with nothing to kill!”

“Sir! We still have some alive, but they don’t appear to be Raiders!” a soldier shouted with his gun to Seiko’s head and other soldiers yanking Lora and Anne up to their feet while still more kept their guns trained on them.

“What’s this now?” Mr. Smith asked and glanced over at the three teenagers who had managed to live through Ike’s cannon fire. The Squadron Leader lazily ran his gaze from Seiko to Lora to Anne. The brunette visibly flinched and looked away, as if trying to hide herself from the man’s red eyes as Mr. Smith kept his eye on her.

“John, this one is Loranna, a known Super from the North.” Ike stated grabbing Lora by the neck and lifting her off the ground. Lora’s hands tried to pry the metal fingers away from her, but she discovered even with a good grip she couldn’t. John Smith scowled and glared at the machine, his voice coated in irritation at having his first name being used, “She has a file?”

“From Project Leviathan’s chief scientist’s death to participating in the Southern Civil War,” Ike stated not bothered slightly by Lora’s attempts at freeing herself.

“Ike! By the authority of Doctor Serizawa, I order you to put Lora down!” Anne shouted. Without hesitation Ike dropped Lora and took a step back, “Authority recognized.”

All of the Western soldiers looked on, stunned. John Smith summed everything up, “Well . . . holy sheet . . .”

Mr. Smith strode over to Anne and forced her chin up so she looked him in the eye. The Leader of Alpha Squadron grinned before tearing Anne’s glasses from her and shoving her back, away from the others, and motioned at her, “Look what we’ve stumbled across men! A lost little commodity from back home!”

“Damn Lady Annabelle, you have no idea how hard we searched for you. Well, for your body,” Mr. Smith corrected with a chuckle, “You won’t believe how long your Dad had us looking for you . . . but he did give us a message if we did find you.”

Chuckling at some unknown joke John Smith unholstered his gun and firmly planted it on Anne’s forehead, grinning as he cocked the trigger, “He said we should ‘bring you back wither you are dead or alive’. And seeing as you’re wandering the Wasteland with a known enemy . . . well . . .”

Mr. Smith took a step back, never removing the gun from Anne’s head, “You know how he just hates to take chances!”

Zack was mildly disappointed when he saw that he had no one to tease about over drinking. Instead everyone looked ready to go without the slightest hint of a headache or any evidence that some of them had been drinking last night. Joseph chuckled noticing the look on Zack’s face, “Disappointed ‘bout somethin’?”

“Bet he thought we’d be asleep or hung over,” Sarah called from her spot on top of one of the tables. She turned her head towards Zack with a smug grin, “We’re professionals . . .”

"Ya know, I dun think der is anythin' 'professional' 'bout drinkin to da point ya can't stand." Zack retorted, his grin never leaving his face.

“It also helps that we’re used to it and that the most hung over of us has already been up for five hours,” Scott remarked with a shrug towards Sarah. The blonde woman was up an alert, geared for the trip towards the other two villages they still had to go to, but there were noticeable black bags under her eyes and she was stifling a yawn every so often. Sarah shot Scott a glare and took a deep breath, speaking without letting the breath out, “If I were you I’d apologize before you get blown straight the funk through the wall behind you.”

"Oh. Careful gents, we gots a live one 'ere."

“We don’t have time for petty squabbles you two,” Koya stated, “We have two villages to go to, search, and question if we’re going to find those three. We need to get this done as soon as possible so we can focus on our true mission. Understood?”

“Yes sir!” the group snapped to attention and saluted while Zack shouldered his pack just before a shockwave rocked the village. Rushing outside the entire town could see a large dust cloud had been kicked up high into the air from the farthest village. “I believe it will be easy to locate our targets now.”

“Was that sarcasm just now? Joseph asked looking at Titanium. “I am not programmed for sarcasm.” 

I wasn't even aware robots could take that tone!

“I’m proud of you big guy . . .”

“Move!” Koya shouted and charged towards the borders of the town and the village beyond it.

The entire group moved at a breakneck pace. It reminded Zack of the time him and a couple of his gang had to lap his hometown seven times to get away from a very persistent guard. The group was focused on getting as much speed out of themselves as they could. Meanwhile, Scott had pulled ahead and was stopped just behind an outcropping. When the group closed the gap he motioned for them to slow down and remain quiet. Sarah and Joseph took position on his right while Koya and Zack took a spot to his left. Titanium crouched just behind Scott and scanned the situation. Zack took a peek just in time to see a large barrage take out several of the figures on the other side. A few of the projectiles flew at the group as well.

Zack leaped out of the way and scrambled to a rock at the edge of the outcropping. As he panted to catch his breath, he heard several people approaching. He laid flat on his stomach and hugged the rock as best he could to hide. Several figures walked past him, and he noticed that they wore armor similar to Koya's team. Doing his best to avoid detection, Zack inched as close as his cover would allow to see if he could hear anything.

“Damn it Ike! Couldn’t you have left a few standing for my men?”

“A Small-Scale Ballistic Volley was the most optimal way to eliminate as many hostile targets,” the mechanical voice replied as his shoulder cannon slide back to its resting place. The other man ran his right hand through his scarlet red hair, “Yeah and, y’know, you left me with nothing to kill!”

Zack noted that the voice belonging to 'Ike' sounded very similar to Titanium. Guess they have a robot of their own. I don't like that ginger either.

“Sir! We still have some alive, but they don’t appear to be Raiders!”

Zack silently cursed when he saw a soldier with his gun to Seiko’s head and other soldiers yanking Lora and Anne up to their feet while still more kept their guns trained on them. This day was rapidly escalating it's way into his top ten worst days list.

“What’s this now?” Mr. Smith asked and glanced over at the three teenagers who had managed to live through Ike’s cannon fire. The Squadron Leader lazily ran his gaze from Seiko to Lora to Anne. The brunette visibly flinched and looked away, as if trying to hide herself from the man’s red eyes as Mr. Smith kept his eye on her.

“John, this one is Loranna, a known Super from the North.” Ike stated grabbing Lora by the neck and lifting her off the ground. Zack watched as Lora tried to pry the metal fingers away from her, but nothing good came of it, even with her power. John Smith scowled and glared at the machine, his voice coated in irritation at having his first name being used, “She has a file?”

“From Project Leviathan’s chief scientist’s death to participating in the Southern Civil War,” Ike stated not bothered slightly by Lora’s attempts at freeing herself.

Sounds like Lora and them have a lot of history. She's also older than she looks, which is a blessing I guess.

“Ike! By the authority of Doctor Serizawa, I order you to put Lora down!” Anne shouted. Without hesitation Ike dropped Lora and took a step back, “Authority recognized.”

All of the Western soldiers looked on, stunned. John Smith summed everything up, including Zack's feelings; “Well . . . holy sheet . . .”

Mr. Smith strode over to Anne and forced her chin up so she looked him in the eye. The Leader of Alpha Squadron grinned before tearing Anne’s glasses from her and shoving her back, away from the others, and motioned at her, “Look what we’ve stumbled across men! A lost little commodity from back home!”

“Damn Lady Annabelle, you have no idea how hard we searched for you. Well, for your body,” Mr. Smith corrected with a chuckle, “You won’t believe how long your Dad had us looking for you . . . but he did give us a message if we did find you.”

Zack didn't like where this situation was going. He carefully retrieved a few darts from his belt and took a crouching stance from behind his rock. He identified the three nearest guards and made ready to throw. As he was about to loose he heard 'Mr. Smith' Chuckling at some unknown joke as he un-holstered his gun and firmly planted it on Anne’s forehead, grinning as he cocked the trigger, “He said we should ‘bring you back wither you are dead or alive’. And seeing as you’re wandering the Wasteland with a known enemy . . . well . . .”

Mr. Smith took a step back, never removing the gun from Anne’s head, “You know how he just hates to take chances!”

"You know, I think he just needs to give lady luck another chance!"

Smith had no time to react as a dart knocked his handgun out of his hand and a distance away. Mere moments later Two of his company dropped with a thud, a dart sticking out of their spinal cords. Another cried out as a dart took him out at the knee. Seemingly out of nowhere Zack darted out from behind his rock and threw a knife at the man guarding Seiko. Not missing a beat Zack scooped some sand and threw it at the faces of a small group he ran past. Momentum not stopping Zack was suddenly in front of Mr. Smith and welcomed himself to their party by giving the leader a sharp left to his kidney and pushing him away with a shove from his right. He squared up in front of Anne, who was still trying to grasp what had just happened. He drew two of his daggers and held them at the ready in a reverse grip while taking an old-fashioned cross body arm guard stance, placing the blades of both daggers in front of him slightly angled.

Zack turned his head slightly towards her, his grin once again plastered on his face. "This makes us even, M'kay?"

Seiko did indeed keep what Anne spoke to him in mind, as they returned to their rooms. He glanced over at Lora and sighed, not realizing that her past was much harder than his...hell...probably much harder to live with than anyone's. Nevertheless, this story kept him up that night and he didn't get much sleep...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

He didn't realize that morning came, as the teen finally got into that one comfortable spot and slept. It wasn't long before he found Lora standing over top of him, waking him up.

"S-Sorry...*yawn*...guess I didn't get as much sleep as I hoped..." he said, rubbing his eyes and getting himself ready.

"Seiko...I want you to repeat our plan."

Seiko was a bit puzzled why she asked this, but regardless, he nodded and complied. "We confront the Raiders outside of town and act like we're travelers..." he said bluntly. Apparently he missed a few things here and there, as Lora corrected him, but it seemed like he had remembered it clear enough. He began to walk out of the room to meet up with Anne, but Lora stopped him.

“Seiko . . . look . . . I’m not saying that I don’t trust Anne to take care of herself or that she can’t . . . but if I tell you at any time to grab Anne and run- do it.”

He remained quiet when he heard this, but nodded slightly finally. "Sure...you're the boss..." he said, knowing that she would recall their conversation/argument from yesterday and how she said she was the leader. He flashed a small smile before heading out and meeting up with Anne.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

They stood outside of the town's parameters and saw something...new. Anne spotted the Raiders...and now FIFTY were with them. They began to surround the trio, weapons poised at them as some of these Raiders began to give cat-calls to Lora and Anne...and occasionally to Seiko. He shuddered at these thoughts, but stayed focused at what was going to happen...and what happened...well...

“You!”

“You! Oh! funk . . . Me . . . Sideways! Shoot the red-haired jabroni! For funk’s sake shoot her now!!!”

Seiko and Anne just stood there, watching a volley of Lora's attacks strike down the Raiders, until she was knocked back by an explosion's shockwave, right into him. He caught her last second, trying his best to keep his footing, but unfortunately he fell down on the ground at the last second. "O-Okay...ow..." he groaned.

Then another thing they didn't foresee happened...Western-Armored clad soldiers began to descend. And now...they had guns pointed at their heads. Oh this is just freakin' wonderful... Seiko thought, sighing as he kept listening to the conversations.

“John, this one is Loranna, a known Super from the North.”

“She has a file?”

“From Project Leviathan’s chief scientist’s death to participating in the Southern Civil War”

Seiko remained silent as he glanced at Lora some, seeing how things were slowly progressing as he was running through his head on how to make a move. Unfortunately, Anne moved first...

“Ike! By the authority of Doctor Serizawa, I order you to put Lora down!”

“Damn Lady Annabelle, you have no idea how hard we searched for you. Well, for your body, You won’t believe how long your Dad had us looking for you . . . but he did give us a message if we did find you. He said we should ‘bring you back wither you are dead or alive’. And seeing as you’re wandering the Wasteland with a known enemy . . . well . . . You know how he just hates to take chances!”

This began to escalate even more than Seiko had imagined. He was going to make a move...cause he could tell that Smith was going to end her life right there. Seiko took a deep breath, about ready to move...when suddenly, a new chain of events began to unfold. Smith dropped his gun and one by one, soldiers started falling. He was about to ask questions...but soon saw Zack in front of them, before sighing.

"And a flashy entrance...jeez, couldn't have given me a moment to beat the hell out of these guys?" Seiko rolled his eyes.

“You won’t believe how long your Dad had us looking for you . . . but he did give us a message if we did find you,” Mr. Smith firmly planted his gun on Anne’s forehead, “He said we should ‘bring you back wither you are dead or alive’. And seeing as you’re wandering the Wasteland with a known enemy . . . well . . . you know how he just hates to take chances!”

“You know, I think he just needs to give lady luck another chance!”

Mr. Smith turned to look at the young adult hurled a dart perfectly aimed at his handgun. The blow was unexpected and succeeded in knocking the gun out of his hand.  Mr. Smith followed the intruder as he quickly dropped more soldiers with a flurry of moves suited for whatever was needed to take out his enemies; darts to their spines, to the knee, knives, and even sand. Zack’s attack culminated in him in front of Mr. Smith, landing a sharp left to his kidney before pushing him away with a shove from his right.

“Z-Zack!?” Anne asked astounded that he of all people had seemingly appeared out of nowhere in the middle of the Wasteland. Seiko rolled his eyes, “Kind of a flashy entrance, eh? Jeez! Couldn't give me a moment to beat the hell out of these guys?”

“Really?” Lora asked from her spot on the ground. She had been ready to move as well to defend Anne until Zack had flown in with darts and daggers and punches to one of the big bosses. Zack had placed himself in front of Anne, two daggers at the ready. Zack turned his head slightly towards her, his grin once again plastered on his face, “This makes us even, m'kay?”

“U-Uh hu,” Anne nodded.

“Damn it Ike!” Mr. Smith asked as he held his side and looked back over at the android that hadn’t budged an inch during the entire attack. Mr. Smith spat as he shouted, “You take out an entire group of Raiders without hesitation yet you don’t bother with this guy!?”

“This hostile is not a Super. He is also incapable of causing long lasting damage to our operation,” Ike replied matter-of-factly. Mr. Smith sighed and stretched, “Yeah, well, you still could’ve shot him to save me from getting punched in the stomach.”

“I believe you requested me to ‘let me have some fun’.”

“And that’s why I like working with you,” Mr. Smith said turning back to Zack, a grin on his face as he raised both fists up, “So boy, got a few more in you?”

“All soldiers are to keep their aims steady on the Supers,” Ike stated as the soldiers Zack had downed got back up, those seemingly paralyzed by the darts in their spines rising with the sound of mechanical gears whirling. All twenty soldiers back up and apparently no worse than before Zack had arrived. The company drew their weapons, aimed with precision at Anne, Seiko, and Lora’s heads. None moved. Instead they awaited Ike’s order while the Gamma Squadron’s Leader patiently waited for his cohort to finish wasting their collective time toying with some human.

“You know, I think he just needs to give lady luck another chance!”

“Damn it Zack don’t-!” Koya started to shout but before he could finish Zack had already made his presence known. Then he proceeded to take out as many soldiers as possible before giving one of the leaders of all people a good blow to the kidney. Slamming his head against the ground Koya groaned at the idiotic nature of Zack, throwing himself so carelessly into the fray when two Squadron Leaders were present; worse, it was Alpha and Gamma Squadrons.

“So,” Sarah asked peering over the hill, “What now?”

“Ike is capable of full scale attacks that none present could withstand,” Titanium stated watching what could arguably be considered his ‘older brother’, “And as you are all clothed now, if we fail, our mission would be put in jeopardy.”

“Damn it,” Koya gritted his teeth, slamming his fist into the ground, “What would Kallen do?”

“This makes us even, m'kay?”

Seiko rolled his eyes as he cracked his knuckles, listening to Zack talk to Anne. It was also funny that apparently Lora was going to make a move too before Zack decided to crash in. But unfortunately, this wasn't good enough apparently...

The two individuals in front of them: Ike and John began to talk to one another, before John turned his attention towards Zack.

“So boy, got a few more in you?”

It was very clear that Zack was going to be fighting him solo, but given the fact that he was able to knockout (for a moment) most of the group, Seiko knew he had this. However, the trio's situation was different. The Ike fellow ordered the soldiers to keep their arms steady and locked onto them. He clenched his fists for a moment, before an idea struck. He glanced at Lora, who stood opposite to Anne, as she glanced back. Apparently their minds had played out the same plan, as both began to smirk. He looked at Anne before nodding slowly.

"Hey...quick question for you idiots!" Seiko yelled out to the group, their weapons still drawn to them.

"Huh? What is it?"

"Idiot! Don't talk to the enemy!"

"Will you both just shut up!" a third groaned, rolling his eyes. "Alright kid...what the hell is it?"

Modern Strange Cowboy

Seiko smirked and tilted his neck to the side, popping it some before finally speaking. "Any of you know what happens when an object in motion hits an immovable object?"

This question began to puzzle the soldiers, well the ones that weren't androids anyway, as the began to ask themselves what it meant. It was obvious the androids weren't going to talk, which was good for Seiko.

"Well..." he began, as he nodded at Anne, who began to activate her force-field abilities, before he nodded at Lora. "You're going to find out!!" he yelled as he rushed forward, knowing Anne was going to be able to use her force-fields to keep him, herself, and Lora safe.

Archived