Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

67177.jpg

Piano prodigy Arima Kosei dominated the competition and all child musicians knew his name. But after his mother, who was also his instructor, passed away, he had a mental breakdown while performing at a recital that resulted in him no longer being able to hear the sound of his piano even though his hearing was perfectly fine. Even two years later, Kosei hasn't touched the piano and views the world in monotone, and without any flair or color. He was content at living out his life with his good friends Tsubaki and Watari until, one day, a girl changed everything. Miyazono Kaori is a pretty, free spirited violinist whose playing style reflects her personality. Kaori helps Kosei return to the music world and show that it should be free and mold breaking unlike the structured and rigid style Kosei was used to.

Manga ended recently and the anime will catch up and end next week. Anyone else watched it? Thoughts?

I'm very scared for what might happen in the last episode and what has already happened.

It's this kind of slow pace that I find usually really works so long as it isn't action. Oh wait. That last part goes without saying. Well...

Certainly one that can be added the the pool of really good feelsy stuff, and the music. Oh wait. That last part goes without saying.

I've been hearing good things about this show. I think I'll marathon it as soon as it ends.
If the manga just ended, does it look like the anime will be able to adapt its ending as well or does it have to do something different?

I know I unfortunately can't help out here. I feel that considering the material It'd probably impact me much less without the sound and I don't want to spoil myself. So.

Oh yeah that is another thing I think the anime has going for it over the manga. I mean, the art is nothing special, but had I even found the manga cover before the anime announcement, I probably wouldn't have tried it.

I mean, the only thing that even made me try it was the premise, but still... yeah, first time I've seen a more competition oriented anime that's about music (to a point, you can say Love Live? Aikatsu? Wake Up Girls?... but without the damn adorable idols), really I've had enough of all the violence (not really, but it's always good to have a refresher).

Two music-related series that have impressed me are Sakamichi no Apollon and Nodame Cantabile; La Corda d'Oro has also been recommended to me and I quite liked the segment I was shown, but I haven't gotten around to watching it. I really like music-based mangos and animus in general - this one just didn't quite hit the mark for me (not enough music, too much shonen + tragedy).

The poster for the anime looks much better art-wise, though! I might watch it for the art even though I know the ending and it's a frickin' can of pringles. It really is.

I've been hearing good things about this show. I think I'll marathon it as soon as it ends.
If the manga just ended, does it look like the anime will be able to adapt its ending as well or does it have to do something different?

The anime spans the entire manga. The manga is only 44 chapters.

I recommend the anime, since hearing the music is a nice bonus. They don't leave anything out either.

The anime spans the entire manga. The manga is only 44 chapters.

I recommend the anime, since hearing the music is a nice bonus. They don't leave anything out either.

Thanks, now I have no reservations about going for the anime. If it's centered around music, then I'd be gipping myself for going for the soundless option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33fT9K8dRkA

Good stuff right here.

Show's a bit cheesy at times but it's on par with the course. It's also very, almost overly dramatic but I love that. As I've played the violin before, and also because generally I dig music stuff, this show clicks with me well, especially once I watched episode two. And the ED is also god-tier.

[spoiler=minor gripes]Way too repetitive though. The "Let it ring!" line had a nice impact at first, but being constantly spammed made it impossible for me to take it seriously. Likewise, "Would it reach her? I could only hope so" is the same. Also while I like the series as a whole, I really think it could've ended right there at episode 10. It would've been downright perfect. Cut out Kaoru taking her medication and that's it. That's enough for me. End with Arima getting his imaginary mother to smile.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Now that I think about it (again), it may or may not be much of a spoiler]I don't tend to have a lot of grips about shows I think I'll like, which of course is very lucky for me, but I just want to say that if it hadn't went on, there wouldn't be another adorable girl out there named Nagi and has blonde twintails. So yeah. I'm very satisfied. She matches my favorite anime character well. I have found Kaori to be somehow a bit annoying despite in the end being the one causing me the most grief, and it doesn't seem terribly realistic, but them, I wouldn't be watching anime otherwise. [/spoiler]

• 1 month later...

I wasn't all that satisfied with the ending either. Not so much that it was bad as it was me just not liking it.

But overall, this was a nice watch. The drama was handled nicely and either had me on the edge of my seat, cringing, or being buried with feels. The piano playing was beautifully composed and animated as well.

Archived