Sophia-Making 101 [Newark]

宇佐見 蓮子@C94

Archetype designed to summon Sophia quick and fast, while also having their own Sophia. Not sure how quick and fast it is, though. Well, even if you fail in the Sophia-summoning, you should still be able to troll and control relentlessly with these~

[spoiler=Main Deck Monsters]

HnwHUC4.png

[spoiler=False King Eff]

When this card is Summoned: Target 1 monster on the field; change its battle position. Once per turn: Excavate cards from the top of your deck, up to the number of defense position "Newark" monsters on the field. If any "Newark" cards are excavated by this effect: You can Special Summon 1 of them in face-up defense position OR add 1 of them to your hand. Shuffle the rest of the excavated cards to the owner's deck.

[/spoiler]

50E3HZ7.png

[spoiler=Reversed Lord Eff]

When this card is Normal Summoned, if you control only "Newark" monsters: Change the battle position of this card; Special Summon 1 "Newark Invader - Inverse Follower" from your deck in face up defense position. When this card is sent to the graveyard as Synchro Material, Fusion Material or Tribute for the Ritual Summon of a "Newark" monster: You can shuffle 1 card in your hand to your deck; Return 1 "Newark" monster from your graveyard to the top of your deck.

[/spoiler]

vxC0Kyx.png

[spoiler=Inverse Follower Eff]

Once per turn: You can send 1 "Newark Invader - Reverse Lord" you control to the graveyard; add 1 "Newark Cradle" from your deck to your hand. Once per turn: You can target 1 "Newark" monster you control; this card's level becomes equal to that card's level, until the End Phase, also switch the battle position of this card. This card cannot be used as material for the Synchro, Xyz and Fusion summon, except for the summon of a "Newark" monster.

[/spoiler]

96BAIAU.png

[spoiler=Fallen Minstrel Eff]

During your Main Phase 1, if you control a "Newark" Extra deck monster or a "Newark" Ritual monster: You can discard this card; Special Summon 1 "Newark" monster with more DEF than this card from your graveyard in face-up defense position. Its effect(s) are negated, it cannot be used as material for the Synchro, Xyz and Fusion summon, except for the summon of a "Newark" monster. You can only activate the effect of "Newark Vanguard - Fallen Minstrel" once per turn and only once that turn.

[/spoiler]

ch23VaF.png

[spoiler=Converse Servant Eff]

When this card is summoned: Target 1 monster on the field; change its battle position. When this card's battle position is changed, you can pay 4000 life points: Discard all non-"Newark" cards in your hand; add "Newark" cards from your deck to your hand, equal to the number of cards discarded. You cannot add more than 1 card with the same name, and you cannot add more than 3 cards by this effect. Cards discarded by this effect cannot leave the graveyard.

[/spoiler]

GzuBy4w.png

[spoiler=Corrupted Sage Eff]

Once per turn: This card cannot be destroyed by battle. Switch the battle position of any monster that battled with this card at the end of the damage step. During your Main Phase 1, up to the number of face-up defense position monsters on the field: Draw and reveal cards to your opponent and add any "Newark" cards drawn to your hand. Send the rest of the cards to the graveyard. You can only activate this effect of "Newark Bait - Corrupted Sage" once per turn and only once that turn.

[/spoiler]

PaFX1Ae.png

[spoiler=Daemon Eff]

You can Ritual Summon this card with "Newark Cradle". You can discard this card; add 1 "Newark Cradle" to your hand. This effect of "Newark Creation, Daemon" can only be activated once per turn and only once that turn. When this card is summoned: Target 1 monster on the field; change its battle position. During either player's turn, up to twice per turn: Any monster that is Summoned is changed to Defense Position.

[/spoiler]

Epkiz52.png

[spoiler=Cradle Eff]

This card is used to Ritual Summon "Newark Creation, Daemon". You must also Tribute monsters from your hand or field whose total Levels equal exactly 8. During your Main Phase: You can reveal this card in your hand and discard 1 "Newark" monster; add 1 "Newark Creation, Daemon" from your graveyard to your hand.

[/spoiler]

nvUjifl.png

[spoiler=DIRIIIIITO]

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your hand) by banishing 1 face-up Ritual, Fusion, Synchro, and Xyz Monster from anywhere on the field, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. This card's Special Summon cannot be negated. Once while this card is face up, when this card destroys a monster by battle: Send all other cards in both player's hands and fields to the graveyard, then both player mills cards equal to the amount of cards sent to the graveyard by this effect.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=ED Stuff]

JaGFgek.png

[spoiler=Diablo Eff]

2 "Newark" monsters with different names
Must first be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by sending the above cards you control to the Graveyard. (You do not use "Polymerization".) When this card is Special Summoned: Target 1 monster on the field; change its battle position. Once per turn: You can send 1 defense-position "Newark" monster you control to the graveyard; Until the end of your next turn, defense position monsters on the field cannot change their battle positions.

[/spoiler]

4no9G2V.png

[spoiler=Diavolo Eff]

1 "Newark" tuner + 1 or more "Newark" monsters.When this card is Special Summoned: Target 1 monster on the field; change its battle position. Once per turn: You can shuffle 2 "Newark" cards in your graveyard to your deck; Send 1 face-up Defense Position monster on the field to the graveyard. This card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect.

[/spoiler]

K4UKPZi.png

[spoiler=Shaitan Eff]

2 Level 4 "Newark" monsters
When this card is Special Summoned: Target 1 monster on the field; change its battle position. At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles a defense position monster: Destroy that monster. When this card destroys a monster (Either by battle or by its own effect): Detach 1 Xyz Material; Return 1 "Newark" card in your graveyard to your hand, then change this card's battle position.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Just want to point out that I really like the DARK/Reptile typing on the "basic" monsters, and the different types on the bigger monsters: The former combination gives them accesss to cute DARK and Reptile support toys, such as Allure, Offerings to Snake Deity, etc. etc.; and the latter in a a way adds a bit of creativity, instead of going for a mono-typing archetype (all monsters with the same Attribute/Type combination).

But then I read the effects of some monsters plus their entire "make Sophia playable" gimmick, and to be honest I didn't like them as much anymore. Personally, making Sophia playable looks like a bad idea. And Converse Servant's effect? Pay 4K LP to perform multiple searches? This is crazy, and doesn't feel like a healthy thing to have; I mean, with such LP cost you are practically acknowledging the effect is ridiculous. And justifying crazy effects with heavy costs is not the right way for balancing cards in my opinion.

Sophia gimmick aside, they seem to have a cute "change position" gimmick and some of the cards that work with this mechanic actually look nice, such as the Xyz and the post-fix Synchro. This is just an idea, but how about dropping the entire Sophia gimmick and shifting the archetype towards this "change positions" direction?

Well, they're less "Making Sophia playable" and more "Giving an archetype the keys to access Sophia if they want to winmoar". They can technically dedicate a build to making Sophia quickly and somewhat consistently, but it wont be an optimal build. They're more happy being control and troll based. As for Converse Servant, well it's a big risk. You use it and you basically gain consistency for the rest od the game, but you also play with half life points.

I mostly agree with Voltex on this one. I am far more in favor of a battle changing position gimmick than the summon of Sophia or Deletor.

There is a lot of excessive searching and plussing when it comes to the monsters.

False King: Perpetually gambles on a +1. I would like to see that changed

Converse Servant: As stated earlier...there should never be 1 card that grants you consistency for the rest of the game. To me that sounds like you defeat the entire chance factor of the game. The steep lifepoint cost is already a sign that its effect is far too good for 1 card especially for an archetype that already has an excessive amount of searchers.

Sage: I honestly fear this thing more than Servant. Its unfeathered unnerfed plussing that is attached to flimsy condition. In fact I think its actually good as away to generate graveyard advantage for other decks. Either way I would like to see it reworked seeing as an archetype with so much search power shouldn't get draw power as well.

Daemon: Nothing is really wrong with him. I'm just curious, the way his effect is worded it sounds mandatory. Meaning the first two monsters summoned on any given turn are going to be switched. Was that the intended purpose?

Shaitan: I find his passive abilty of killing all things in defense mode a tad to strong for that body.

I mostly agree with Voltex on this one. I am far more in favor of a battle changing position gimmick than the summon of Sophia or Deletor.

There is a lot of excessive searching and plussing when it comes to the monsters.
The monsters can't really plus by themselves without a ridiculous amount of topdecking and/or setup. Bar Converse Servant, of course. But even then he's a +0 at best.
False King: Perpetually gambles on a +1. I would like to see that changed

Eh... It's a +0 and requires luck. All it does is reduce topdeck. It's no better than other Archetype-specific Stratoses that exist on DP. It's fine as-is.

Converse Servant: As stated earlier...there should never be 1 card that grants you consistency for the rest of the game. To me that sounds like you defeat the entire chance factor of the game. The steep lifepoint cost is already a sign that its effect is far too good for 1 card especially for an archetype that already has an excessive amount of searchers.
It's a +0 and is the only real generic searcher in the deck that requires no luck. As I said, in a duel it's a big risk to take. Of course you're gonna gain an advantage off it, but you're gonna lose much quicker and easier if the opponent is smart. Plus, you basically threw cards away from your hand forever, and the most optimal adding isn't even guaranteed to give you a win. It's a big risk card.
Sage: I honestly fear this thing more than Servant. Its unfeathered unnerfed plussing that is attached to flimsy condition. In fact I think its actually good as away to generate graveyard advantage for other decks. Either way I would like to see it reworked seeing as an archetype with so much search power shouldn't get draw power as well.

Sage is no more dangerous than Ryko as a miller, only difference is that you can reuse it. It's really the same thing as False King except you mill instead of shuffle. You set it, your opponent hits it, use its effect once and it's dead next turn.
Daemon: Nothing is really wrong with him. I'm just curious, the way his effect is worded it sounds mandatory. Meaning the first two monsters summoned on any given turn are going to be switched. Was that the intended purpose?

Yeah Daemon is basically like Stumbling for the first two monsters summoned every turn. If I made his effect optional it'd be too strong.

Shaitan: I find his passive abilty of killing all things in defense mode a tad to strong for that body.

It's no stronger than Catastor, tbh. And its use almost exactly like Catastor, too. You summon it to get rid of a monster you can't get rid of normally.

False King: Its not a +0, that would only be on the turn its summoned is it a +0. The current wording suggest that this happens ONCE PER TURN. Meaning as long as he lives you get to keep attempting to summon extra monsters. This is completely different from all the on summon ONLY DP "Stratos" searchers.

Sage: How would sage be destroyed? Is this assuming that the opponent has an answer to it? Balance is not determined by the opponent having outs to your monsters. In fact Sage doesn't need to be set. It can simply be summoned use its effect and then at its least effective be fused off.

Shaitan: Its a much better Catastor because it does a similar Catastor ability AND something else. I find it excessive.

I see through your reply though that this is something I cannot really get behind. If you feel that False King and Sage rely solely on topdecking luck then I feel you are mistaken. Luck, at least in my opinion, is a force you have absolutely no control over. You have total control over how your deck is constructed! King and Sage literally work based on the number of Newark cards in your deck so the real question would be...how many non-Newark cards are you running? For example a deck of 40 Newark cards means that as long as King lives he will ALWAYS summon another monster or add something to the hand. You are not simply playing with luck this is the illusion of luck in monster form.

Archived