Country Music

Face McShooty

I've noticed there's very few threads on country music, now I understand that not many people LIKE country music, or more so, what it's become. But honestly, I'm wanting this to be about both modern and classic country. So if there is a singer/duo/group or song you like and would recommend to others, either not well known or used to be popular, or even mainstream. Or if there is an album coming out you can't wait for. In fact, I think I'll add an Upcoming Albums spoiler, and update it as albums are released or announced.

[spoiler=Upcoming Albums]
Reba McEntire Love Somebody (4/14)
[/spoiler]

Not really a big country fan. Being English probably has something to do with that. Most of it comes across as cheesy and very uninteresting. The genre that's most stuck in its ways. However, I do love Cash. 

And this is one of my favourite songs, the Joe South original of the Deep Purple hit, Hush. Sort of Country-Rock Pop, really brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M9se64HoTg

I don't listen to a lot of country music, but because I watch The Voice. I listen to Blake Shelton.

The song that I recommend listening to is Neon Light by Blake Shelton

The "country" albums that I heard are pretty good and that I recommend are:

Crash My Party - Luke Bryan

Bringing Back the Sunshine - Blake Shelton

Platinum - Miranda Lambert

Now Tenta, you have to give Luke Bryan credit for his song Drink A Beer

Having just listened to the song, it's nothing bad, but it's as close to average as average gets. Your space for innovation in country is small: it's a genre that is defined by its tradition, so differentiation needs to come in the form of impeccable songwriting. Luke Bryan's writing lacks the lyricism that those of the past did.

My problem with country (besides everything sounding the same lawl) is how the culture surrounding it tends to be kind of exclusionary to ideas and points of view not in line with the genre's cultural norm. (How does a genre have a cultural norm?)

For example, just look at what happened to the Dixie Chicks. They spoke out against– what was it– the war in Afghanistan or Iraq? And essentially got blacklisted by the Country music industry.

Also everything is about trucks, beers and girls (at least everything on the radio these days). I don't find the lyrics interesting in most cases.

I feel like the same thing that happened to pop and rock happened to country in that, many people consider the mainstream artists 'bad' (like the 'le wrong generation' kids) and discount the entire genre because of it. As with all genres, there are certainly good current artists, you just have to dig slightly deeper to find them.

I feel like the same thing that happened to pop and rock happened to country in that, many people consider the mainstream artists 'bad' (like the 'le wrong generation' kids) and discount the entire genre because of it. As with all genres, there are certainly good current artists, you just have to dig slightly deeper to find them.

You hit the nail right on the head, and I agree with people not listening to pop and rock for the same reason

Archived