Death/Screamo Metal

J-Max

This Genre of music has always made me want to get up and do things. Its something about the screaming into the microphone and genuinely not giving a fuck about decent vocals that makes me happy.

Not to mention the Pig Squealing! I have seen Youtube Videos of how to Squeal and it looks like a tough thing to do! Favorite Band is probally Cannibal Corpse. I won't host a Youtube Video of most of their Tracks due to them having... Well very NSFW Lyrics and Track Names. I will however have a Video here with Misheard Lyrics (which are always hilarious.

So which Death Metal or Screamo Bands do you guys like? Link a Youtube Video if you want as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT6ZN1KJuFE

Screamo is not a style of metal at all and has nothing to do with metal, its a genre that existed through the 90s that took influence from Hardcore Punk and Emo (another genre that is commonly mislabeled)

some examples of real screamo
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUs7nLhYaq0[/media]

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rv9Hgc073o[/media]

anyways weve talked about Death Metal quite a few times in the Metal/Hardcore thread, im not a fan of Cannibal Corpse or really any of the more straight-up Death Metal bands, i prefer the more technical and experimental Death Metal bands, i also am quite fond of Melodic Death Metal, which takes quite a bit from Death Metal

some of my personal favorites include:
Between the Buried and Me
Becoming the Archetype (first two albums only)
Gojira
Hacride
Extol
Opeth (up to Watershed)
Job for a Cowboy (Sun Eater only)
Gorguts
Cynic (imo Traced In Air is better than their Death Metal stuff)
Demilich
Timeghoul
Death (last 4 albums only)
In Grief
Septic Flesh

and my favorite Melodeath bands:
Dark Tranquillity
In Flames
At the Gates
Children of Bodom
Soilwork
Darkest Hour (closer to Metalcore nowadays but whatever)
Scar Symmetry
Soilwork

As someone who has tried doing both screamo and death metal vocals, I can confirm they are completely different. Screamo is a lot more forced and harsh and it can damage your voice, whereas death metal vocals are more controlled and natural. In fact, the technique used in death metal vocals (vocal fry) is actually quite good for your voice.

Anyway, yeah, I'm definitely a death metal fan. Currently blasting Cynic's first album out of my speakers, in fact, and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. 

As someone who has tried doing both screamo and death metal vocals, I can confirm they are completely different. Screamo is a lot more forced and harsh and it can damage your voice, whereas death metal vocals are more controlled and natural. In fact, the technique used in death metal vocals (vocal fry) is actually quite good for your voice.

Anyway, yeah, I'm definitely a death metal fan. Currently blasting Cynic's first album out of my speakers, in fact, and I'm enjoying it thoroughly.

Focus is one hell of a masterpiece, though i was always more fond of Traced In Air probably because i got into it more easily than Focus, but both are sick albums

Yeah, I heard the vocalist of Jeromes Dream coughed blood and passed out during the recording of their second album.

Yeah, then there's Sonny Moore, who most people know as Skrillex. He was the vocalist in From First to Last but tore his vocal chords so he had to quit. Also Bullet for my Valentine's Matt Tuck had to go through major surgery a while back and his voice has never been the same again. 

So remember kids, death metal is good :)

I knew a certain couple of users would post here when I saw the thread title haha. Ditto on screamo being a term that most people use incorrectly, as it originally surfaced in the 90s and referred to emotional punk bands that...well...screamed. Saetia is a very good example.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5X7m_stabE

As for metal, I am digging this. Probably my favorite black metal band. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w315BdzS6k

Yeah. Also I did a thread for emo/screamo a long time ago if you actually wanna know about it for realsies.

Click here 

Hey I remember that thread. Basically kick-started my interest in the emo genre after I'd gotten myself into 90s metalcore and post-metal. Funnily enough, a lot of the groups mentioned that I didn't immediately check out I ended up discovering for myself later.

Dear lord, that thread drew in a lot of ignorant asshats. 

• 3 months later...

First off screamo is not a genre of metal, it is perhaps a spinoff on Emotive hardcore that emerged in the 90s. I love death metal to death and here is a couple of my all time favorite death metal songs

My favorite subgenre of music is technical death metal/deathcore (I group both together because most of these bands only difference is breakdowns and/or both screams/growls are used) My favorite bands would include

Thy Art Is Murder (The Adversary is legendary)

Archspire

Cryptopsy

Burning The Masses

Cytotoxin

Fleshgod Apocalypse

Infant Annihilator

Lorna Shore (There is a reason their new album is my profile picture)

Necrophagist

Oblivionized

Anata

Decapitated

The 1990s era of Death

I also like melodic death metal some of my favorites would include:

Carcass

Arch Enemy (First four albums are gold)

Scar Symmetry

The Black Dahlia Murder

Wintersun

Disarmonia Mundi