Kamen Rider Drive

Heinken111

Bit of a necro, but the series ended last week and I want to give me thoughts.

Series over all was really good. Not quite as good as Gaim, but thats not a good way to measure it. The characters were great, the build to the climax was amazing, and the epilogue was really sweet. Only weak point was the rushing of the final battle with the Sigma Circular. That and Ghost randomly showing up. That was beyond dumb. Honestly, I had treated the show as over before the Ghost crossover aired since I assumed it would be just kind of an extra, but I was shocked at how good a close it was for the series. I love Tomari's speech at the end and the bits with Ghost really weren't that intrusive. Mach's fight with his dad was the high point for me, especially the finishing blow. TAG was always complaining about how silly the "wait for it" thing was and the pay off there was AMAZING.

When I started it I had a big Gaim shaped hole in my heart and didn't want to watch it, but I'm very glad I did. Very good series and highly recommend if your a toku person.

Finished it as well, Gaim was superior but I did find that Tyoe Tridoron didn't actually use its full potential and was sort of bland, along with the design of Chaser Mach. Still Mach/Chaser vs Gold Drive was brilliant, was hoping more from Drive vs Heart but eh.

Chaser Mach was probably the main down point for me with the design though, people I've seen have compared it to Mage from Wizard, but the costume for Mage has a reason for being bland. It is based of rough cut and impure gem stones so matte colours fit with the design theme. Still Gou is my favourite secondary rider, followed by Yuto.

I actually liked Type Tridoron since it felt like an evolution of his base Speed form. Having that connection felt cool.

The Mach/Chaser fusion wasn't the best, but the impact of that fight more than made up for it. Plus, base Mach is just awesome.

I actually really liked how the handled Heart vs. Drive. I know TAG felt like they didn't do enough to convince him that Heart took fatal damage in the fight with Sigma, but outside of that it played out exactly how I would have expected. Tomari didn't want to fight Heart and Heart simply wanting to fall at his hand. It was a good scene that would have been SO much better had that bit with Ghost just been a bit more of the Sigma fight.

I did enjoy the way they handled it, though Heart being a main character felt like there should have been more. Though my initial thoughts were Freeze vs Drive, Heart vs Mach Deadheat, Brain vs Chaser. Wasn't really thinking about Medic that much.

My main quell with Type Tridoron is that you didn't really see all it could do, I prefer the design of it over Kiwami Arms though.

Thats fair. Honestly, Heart was kind of in the background for way longer than he should have been for the series. It wasn't until after Brain's defeat did he really start to become more active. Medic was more of a manipulation character who didn't actively fight. Which I'm cool with since that was never supposed to be her role. Brain was somewhere in-between that and Heart's active fighter role.

Type Tridoron got to really show off when it did the all wheel attack thing, but yea, more would have been cool. I liked both final forms honestly. Both worked for the series they were in.

There is only one actual question concerning Mach I have. Why is he important to the Kamenn Rider timeline? His death allows for Rider 4 to exist. Albeit I haven't seen the Yongou special, so if it is answered there than eh.

Well just need to see Surprise Future and that will be Drive done until the Drive X Ghost crossover.

I like to pretend that crossover movie never happened because it was NOT good. I know they do more with it in a different movie, but like it isn't worth my time. It was funny since I saw it after the episode Chase died so I kept making "Chase is dead" and "Mach is dead" jokes. Though the Chase ones were more heartfelt since I felt really bad when he died.

Archived