Twilight Orthrus & Shadow Eclipse [DNTE-EN]

Marco Polo

So while I test the furies, I decided to design another ritual, this time in order to support non-effect Rituals indirectly

ShadowEclipse14cca.jpg

This card is used to Ritual Summon "Twilight Orthrus" from your hand.

(1) : You must also Tribute 1 DARK and 1 LIGHT monster from your hand or field, whose total Levels equal 7 or more. 

(2) : If this card is sent to the Graveyard while you control no "Twilight Orthrus": Add 1 non-Effect Ritual Monster OR 1 specific Ritual Spell Card from your Deck to your hand.

TwilightOrthrus4cf53.jpg

[spoiler='Previous Version']orthrus.jpg[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Previous Version']TwilightOrthrus.jpg[/spoiler]

This card can only be Ritual Summoned with "Shadow Eclipse". 

(1) : Monsters on the field are unaffected by other card effects, also negate the effects of other cards on the field, except specific Ritual Spell Cards.

(2) : If this card is sent to the Graveyard; you can target 1 Ritual Spell Card in your Graveyard; add it to your hand.

Specific Ritual Spell Card is the new term for a ritual spell that is used to summon a specific monster, from now on. 

Discuss. :P

Floodgates ... I hate those guys. I'm especially depressed about recursive floodgates.

(But seriously this prevents your opponent from playing the game period given that it, uh, negates all S/T activations and effects as well as being a Skill Drain; please no. I also don't like how the Ritual Spell can just serve as discard fodder since it can search itself; I would rather it just had a less abusive / Burning Abyss-ish effect. I do like the requirement though, which is kinda interesting.)

Floodgates ... I hate those guys. I'm especially depressed about recursive floodgates.

(But seriously this prevents your opponent from playing the game period given that it, uh, negates all S/T activations and effects as well as being a Skill Drain; please no. I also don't like how the Ritual Spell can just serve as discard fodder since it can search itself; I would rather it just had a less abusive / Burning Abyss-ish effect. I do like the requirement though, which is kinda interesting.)

While it is on the field, the only things that kind of decide the game are battles.It can't be chained and right now I don't really see any way in which you can be unfair with this. on top of that, it is a ritual with one hell of a requirement, and I believe it can only be run efficiently in a deck of its own. 

Throw a scenario and I'll try and fix it if indeed it turns out of control.

Here's one ... what if your opponent doesn't run any monsters with 1900 ATK? Or only runs 3 and draws only 1 (or 0)? Don't they just fold to this guy?

I mean this guy is probably as annoying to deal with as Herald of Ultimateness, except it's recursive and doesn't require any hand advantage. You also can't really respond to him or grind him out with more plays, since, uh ... yeah. Costless perma-floodgate beyond the initial down payment.

The fundamental concept of something that negates everything but has 1900 ATK is interesting, but probably a bit off the mark. There are monsters and effects that can remove this guy of course, but a lot of decks don't even have the ability to run them and it's not like your other cards won't do anything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Although there are a few decks that will be able to remove this guy with a bit more ease than others (stuff like the ability to drop a random level 4 followed by Kagetokage comes to mind) I feel like most of the time it manages to be annoying without any real benefit to the game - in that you could build your deck to beat it, sure, but that's not always a practical deckbuilding consideration.

I guess it's nicer for some older decks that have cards with actually semi-beefy stat values and/or effects that randomly proc in the Graveyard. I do like that part even though I really don't enjoy the terrorism factor that it has on the wider game, and if you have another monster with actually intimidating stats while you have this guy also, well ... that just really sucks for your opponent, doesn't it.

Basically tl;dr it literally makes most of both players' decks useless and doesn't seem particularly fun. Especially when you build to abuse this guy.

(insert requisite djinn abuse comment here)

EDIT: Oh yeah, I should clarify; the reason I feel it's oppressive is because it puts a lot of overwhelming pressure on your opponent to topdeck an answer -while- rendering a large portion of his deck useless. So if they don't topdeck an answer and you resolve this guy you just win. Bonus points if you resolve him twice, which is not actually that hard given the Ritual Spell as well as this guy's ability to return a Ritual Spell. It's not invincible of course ... but it probably is if you give it the Djinn that stops Special Summons :V

Here's one ... what if your opponent doesn't run any monsters with 1900 ATK? Or only runs 3 and draws only 1 (or 0)? Don't they just fold to this guy?

I mean this guy is probably as annoying to deal with as Herald of Ultimateness, except it's recursive and doesn't require any hand advantage. You also can't really respond to him or grind him out with more plays, since, uh ... yeah. Costless perma-floodgate beyond the initial down payment.

The fundamental concept of something that negates everything but has 1900 ATK is interesting, but probably a bit off the mark. There are monsters and effects that can remove this guy of course, but a lot of decks don't even have the ability to run them and it's not like your other cards won't do anything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Although there are a few decks that will be able to remove this guy with a bit more ease than others (stuff like the ability to drop a random level 4 followed by Kagetokage comes to mind) I feel like most of the time it manages to be annoying without any real benefit to the game - in that you could build your deck to beat it, sure, but that's not always a practical deckbuilding consideration.

I guess it's nicer for some older decks that have cards with actually semi-beefy stat values and/or effects that randomly proc in the Graveyard. I do like that part even though I really don't enjoy the terrorism factor that it has on the wider game, and if you have another monster with actually intimidating stats while you have this guy also, well ... that just really sucks for your opponent, doesn't it.

Basically tl;dr it literally makes most of both players' decks useless and doesn't seem particularly fun. Especially when you build to abuse this guy.

(insert requisite djinn abuse comment here)

EDIT: Oh yeah, I should clarify; the reason I feel it's oppressive is because it puts a lot of overwhelming pressure on your opponent to topdeck an answer -while- rendering a large portion of his deck useless. So if they don't topdeck an answer and you resolve this guy you just win. Bonus points if you resolve him twice, which is not actually that hard given the Ritual Spell as well as this guy's ability to return a Ritual Spell.

numbers according to your paragraphs

1.Yes they fold, changed now. stats are now 1500/1600, 1500 + monsters are pretty common. not always at hand but are mostly always there. 

2.indeed.

3.indeed.

I removed the popping and the 2nd OPT effect to retrieve a Ritual. perhaps better now? 

The stats feel a lot better, yeah.

I would just change the Ritual Spell now so that you can't grab another copy of itself ... and also possibly the indiscriminate clause on Orthrus but I'm not too sure that's necessary at the moment (it's probably not that bad, pending actual abuse?).

Archived