[Aix's Archetypes] Magic Association

Aix

I tend not to make aggressive Archetypes, so I decided to make this for a change. I've kept an eye on the card advantage side of things. Most cards are -1, there is a +0 or two and three DW/Mermail style +1s. Seems to perform quite well.
[hr]Monsters
[hr][spoiler=Magic Association Anne]wIcoLGY.png
You can banish 2 or more cards you control or in your hand; Special Summon this card from your hand or this banished card and place 1 Spell Counter on it for each card banished -1. You can remove 2 Spell Counters from this card; add 1 "Magic Association" card from your Deck to your hand.[/spoiler][hr][spoiler=Magic Association Lily]UTGf7Us.png
You can banish 2 or more cards you control or in your hand; Special Summon this card from your hand or this banished card and place 1 Spell Counter on it for each card banished -1. You can remove 2 Spell Counters from this card; add 1 banished "Magic Association" card to your hand.[/spoiler][hr][spoiler=Magic Association Fiona]0Y3NukW.png
You can banish 2 or more cards you control or in your hand; Special Summon this card from your hand or this banished card and place 1 Spell Counter on it for each card banished. "Magic Association" monsters you control gain 400 ATK for each Spell Counter on this card.[/spoiler][hr][spoiler=Magic Association Margaret]ZdbhjfR.png
You can banish 2 or more cards you control or in your hand; Special Summon this card from your hand or this banished card and place 1 Spell Counter on it for each card banished. You can remove 2 Spell Counters from this card and target 1 card on the field; destroy it.[/spoiler][hr][spoiler=Magic Association Phoebe]oDoNxvY.png
You can banish 2 or more cards you control or in your hand; Special Summon this card from your hand or this banished card and place 1 Spell Counter on it for each card banished. You can remove 1 Spell Counter from this card to target 1 "Magic Association" monster; increase or decrease its Level by 1.[/spoiler][hr][spoiler=Magic Association Cassandra]utkmnyg.png
You can banish 2 or more cards you control or in your hand; Special Summon this card from your hand or this banished card and place 1 Spell Counter on it for each card banished. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can remove 3 Spell Counters from this card and target 1 face-up card; this turn, its effects are negated and it cannot attack.[/spoiler][hr][spoiler=Magic Association Jane]kRMohpW.png
You can banish 1 "Magic Association" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your hand. When this card is banished by a "Magic Association" card: You can place 1 Spell Counter on a "Magic Association" card you control. This effect of "Magic Association Jane" can only be activated once per turn.[/spoiler][hr][spoiler=Magic Association Rosa]ypjJOlb.png
You can banish 1 "Magic Association" card in your hand; draw 1 card during the End Phase. When this card on the field or in your hand is banished by a "Magic Association" card: Special Summon it. Only one effect of "Magic Association Rosa" can be activated per turn and only once that turn.[/spoiler][hr]Spells
[hr][spoiler=Magic Association Artifact]lmoJgDz.png
During the End Phase: You can add 1 banished "Magic Association" card that was banished this turn to your hand. When this card is banished by a "Magic Association" card, except from the Graveyard: Draw 1 card. Each effect of "Magic Association Artifact" can only be activated once per turn and only once that turn.[/spoiler][hr][spoiler=Magic Association Pyromancy]vJMB7TU.png
Banish 1 "Magic Association" card from your hand or Graveyard; place 3 Spell Counters on a "Magic Association" card you control, also during your next Draw Phase, add 1 "Magic Association" card from your Deck to your hand, except "Magic Association Pyromancy". When this card is banished by a "Magic Association" card, except from the Graveyard: Draw 1 card. You can only activate 1 effect of "Magic Association Pyromancy" per turn and only once that turn.[/spoiler][hr]Extra Deck
[hr][spoiler=Magic Association Chronicler Yui]UHVfz1C.png
2 Level 4 Spellcaster-Type monsters
Once per turn: You can banish 1 Xyz Material from this card; add 1 "Magic Association" card from your Deck to your hand, then remove 2 Spell Counters from your side of the field. When this card is banished: Place 2 Spell Counters on a face-up card.[/spoiler][hr][spoiler=Magic Association Chairwoman Marianne]VenupCe.png
1 "Magic Association" Tuner + 1 or more Spellcaster-Type monsters
When this card is Synchro Summoned: Place any Spell Counters its Synchro Material Monsters had on it. This card gains 300 ATK and DEF for each Spell Counter on the field. If a "Magic Association" card(s) would be removed from the field by a card effect, you can remove 2 Spell Counter each from your side of the field for any of those cards instead.[/spoiler][hr]

My thoughst:
- Anne: is good but need a Hard OPT
- Lily: again, hard OPT, also add from where?
- Fiona: a good boost, bit is too much for the ATK it has, would be a 2600 beater justo from summon
- Margaret: is nice, but im kinda affraid of all the spell counter spamm since neitjer of those specify if banished by its eff or already banished cards
- Phoebe: Leviar all night long!!!
- Cassandra: ok, is nice~
- Jane: good card, is pretty nice and good support, but again, im affraid of the Spell Counter spamm
- Rosa: isnt too much for the spam it already have?

- Artifact: is nice getting the already lost hand adventage, bit km worried about the field adventage...
- Pyromancy: Too much for it effect, really, Too much...

- Yui: Add eff is too much for the spam abd field adventage it has already
- Marianne: take some ATK and DEF and would be nice~

A general suggestion, your really should add Hard OPT to all cards or they would be abussable as hell...

I have difficulty finding how you would abuse -1 effects.

"each card banished" refers to the cards banished by the cost. It would be "for each of your banished cards" if it was otherwise. I think. Either way, the former is my intent.

not a fan on how they're intended to just play off each other for a chain of plusses over and over again, and just spam things in general alongside those.

Pyromancy does too much.

not a fan of the Cont Spell giving free plusses while being fodder. Not a fan of even with weak opening turns, the archetype can semi-easily explode with advantage lategame due to how its resources work.

Not a fan of the concept.

The primary problem is that, uh, you would be able to banish the caster for another caster.

Extremely easy infinite loops with, for example, a card like Soul Absorption. I mean I know Soul Absorption is garbage but the combo is so easy why not run a few copies?

The deck seems to have no problems super plusing, unfortunately; the cards are all extremely versatile and unlikely to suffer minuses, and the refunder guys only exacerbate this (because often you don't need to refund anything in the first place, it's a 1-card deployment from the banish).

Alright, so what if I remove the pluses from Pyromancy and Artifact? It would remove any real looping potential, unless you wanted to continually lose advantage. It would also make loops too inconsistent to be plausible.

I would perhaps consider revising some of the gimmick. The pain of the gimmick is high, and so is the reward; which seems to me to be a feast or famine situation. If you nerf the best cards, will the rest of the deck be powerful enough? Since power cards are also typically crutches if an archetype is mostly not particularly overpowered. At present, Pyromancy and Artifact look like levers to offset the price of going in all in; without them, the reverse toolboxing is still really strong even if you have to heavily go all in, but the opportunity cost might be too high, then.

Especially after those proposed changes Anne and Lily seem impractical to deploy to use their effect sufficiently. Possibly experiment with a member that requires only 1 banish but has an OPT? I dunno, you'll have to playtest.

I would perhaps consider revising some of the gimmick. The pain of the gimmick is high, and so is the reward; which seems to me to be a feast or famine situation. If you nerf the best cards, will the rest of the deck be powerful enough? Since power cards are also typically crutches if an archetype is mostly not particularly overpowered.

The reverse toolboxing is pretty dangerous though, absolutely so.

i think the effect that should be nerfed is the one that summon from banished, since you can return them like nothing, so there would be less Spam and can use recovery Stuff more freely since you would have few things to summon or getting them

also Pyromancy is too good because they have a good gimmick togather, but also they dont have hard OPT, so you can repeat and repeat the effects of all of them whenever you want, if you have the enough things to do ofc

i think the effect that should be nerfed is the one that summon from banished, since you can return them like nothing, so there would be less Spam and can use recovery Stuff more freely since you would have few things to summon or getting them
also Pyromancy is too good because they have a good gimmick togather, but also they dont have hard OPT, so you can repeat and repeat the effects of all of them whenever you want, if you have the enough things to do ofc

It's a -1 for the best ones and an even trade for the okay ones, so infinite spam without Pyromancy and Artifact is impossible (and honestly rather pointless). Yes, the reverse toolbox is dangerous, as I said ... but not necessarily overpowered.

Archived