What is MTG Art? A Guide To The World of Magic: The Gathering Art

Just Crouton

I disagree

Examples. I think the current Magic art style is boring as all hell and tends to be revered by so called art critics who are like the complete opposite end of the realistic to unrealistic anime or hand drawn scale on card game artwork. Not saying that everyone who likes the new art a pretentious twat, it's just one of the things that puts me off.

Maybe I would have got into the game if I were younger and I didn't have about 20 years of cards to catch up on. And the fact it's played by people old enough to be my dad at local stores doesn't really help. *shrug*

I honestly don't understand anything in what you have just said. Magic Art has improved in quality from its ancestral art, really. Most art back then was relative to the same art that was present during Middle Ages, in relation to  Pre-Romaneseque Art. The techniques were similar with more basis on getting an idea across, and that was the fundamental idea. Now, the art uses different techniques drawing upon the basics, but furthering them to create a world that a story is present in. It reminds me of Disengo techniques with the reflection of nature and scenery.

MTG Art always seems like Medieval > Renaissance Rebirth to me, following most of the same ideas and timeline. Whether the styles are different, the quality has definitely increase. Chris Rahn has even displayed both the use of tablet created art and oil paintings themselves, while still keeping to his style. I appreciate most MtG Art, but saying that "CGI rubbish" has decreased quality or that CGI is not even a means to creating proper art is a gross concept to have a hold of.

I honestly don't understand anything in what you have just said. Magic Art has improved in quality from its ancestral art, really. Most art back then was relative to the same art that was present during Middle Ages, in relation to  Pre-Romaneseque Art. The techniques were similar with more basis on getting an idea across, and that was the fundamental idea. Now, the art uses different techniques drawing upon the basics, but furthering them to create a world that a story is present in. It reminds me of Disengo techniques with the reflection of nature and scenery.

MTG Art always seems like Medieval > Renaissance Rebirth to me, following most of the same ideas and timeline. Whether the styles are different, the quality has definitely increase. Chris Rahn has even displayed both the use of tablet created art and oil paintings themselves, while still keeping to his style. I appreciate most MtG Art, but saying that "CGI rubbish" has decreased quality or that CGI is not even a means to creating proper art is a gross concept to have a hold of.

I think you may have just proven my point about people being overly defensive of the new art style. Me calling it CGI rubbish was clearly hyperbole. I'm not an artsy person, I'm just calling things as I see them. 

I think you may have just proven my point about people being overly defensive of the new art style. Me calling it CGI rubbish was clearly hyperbole. I'm not an artsy person, I'm just calling things as I see them. 

If one out of two people defending it with a long, informed, opinion

And the other of two people just simply saying they disagree

Is overly defensive, then that just seems a bit odd don't you think?

It was not clearly hyperbole at all, actually.

Dae's allowed to give his opinion as well, you know.

Wait, I was overly defensive? I just gave a definition and calling "CGI Rubbish" a gross term. You can call things as you see them, but I gave evidence to properly state my claim and nothing more. Apologies if anything was taken out of context, but I really wasn't trying to be overly defensive at all.

Archived