The Final Day, Planning and OoC [NS, 16+)

I'm still working out some details, but if I get enough interest I will start and polish as I go.

[spoiler=Plot]

Computers have more processing power by the day, and games are one of the single most profitable applications of that power. However, as time has gone on, we've stopped needing to wonder if it was possible without transferring over to the question of if it was ethical.

Troy Electronics created the world's first Absolute Immersion System, which fully transferred the player into the world of a game, digitizing a player's consciousness so that the experience needed to be ended by the player personally. Despite a minor scandal, it hit the market to huge critical success- households in every developed country in the world had one, and the game library was absolutely enormous.

The problem was only realized when a game finally came out that pushed the system's capacity to its absolute limit- End of Days, a sci-fi/fantasy MMO, with a heavy focus on exploration. As it turned out, if the polygon count grew too high- say, rendering one of the game's absurdly detailed environments- many system features, including the logout button, glitched and would not accept player input.

The players' relatives, spouses and other loved ones grew irate, and nearly sued JoltArt, the game developers. However, they came to an impasse- unplugging the systems or a server crash would lose player data, leaving the player brain-dead. There were only two locations in the game that had low enough polygon counts that the system would function enough to permit logging out- Haven, a weapon shop that required you to be Level 100 or higher to enter . . . or the Incense Cave, a secret area guarded by a boss regarded by the community as a whole as unbeatable. The game couldn't even be patched while there were players on the server. However, an order from the UN forced JoltArt to place a block on further log-ins.

Players didn't take to the news well. While level grinding to 100 was possible, it would take years with how infrequent the valuable monsters spawned, combined with how many players were on the server. Fighting the Incense Dragon was just thought to be suicide, given that only 49 players could be in a boss room at once, and that the thing was Level 162. Besides, with so many players on the server, some with utterly garbage Internet connections, respawning would take hours, a setback many players refused to allow.

It's been three months, and many players have taken to emailing their families to unplug other players to speed up the game engine. While no one has actually done so yet, many areas of the world have reported higher-than-normal percentages of the crime rate being break-ins.

The environment is tense, and it seems everyone is primed to blow. Nothing good can be seen in the days ahead.

[spoiler=Relevant Terms]

The Stats-

HP: if you don't know what this is, you've never played an RPG.

Power: a physical attack stat. Also determines how heavy your armor and weapon can be. Note heavier equipment comes with an Agility penalty.

Endurance: an all-around defense stat. Also determines how much inventory space you have.

Mana: determines the power of magic-based abilities.

Reflex: mixed evasion and accuracy stat. Even if you technically hit someone, if their Reflex is significantly higher than yours, your attacks will harmlessly ghost through them.

Focus: Critical Hit stat. Also improves the maximum effective range of firearms and plasma weapons.

Stamina: determines how often you can use abilities- if you're familiar with StarCraft, think Energy.

Agility: determines movement speed.

Important Terms-

Aggro: the focus of an enemy. The AI is usually scripted that whatever deals damage to an enemy will draw their aggro, and some have instant aggro with anyone in their line of sight.

Status Ailments-

Poison: your standard damage-over-time. Can be inflicted in a wide variety of ways.

Bleed: vicious damage over time. Notably, there is nothing immune to it, and it's rather difficult to cure.

Paralysis: temporary immobility. Ranged attackers and magic users can still attack along their line of sight, however. Even melee attackers can still attack, but so long as you stay out of striking distance they can't harm you.

Frost: cuts Agility in half, and deals a minor amount of damage over time.

Silence: locks down all spells. Is the source of a glitch involving grenades.

Blindness: turns a player's vision black temporarily. Absurdly crippling to long-range players, for obvious reasons.

Fury: doubles the amount of aggro you draw. Can be purposely self-inflicted.

[spoiler=Rules]

1. All IC posts require at least 4 lines of text, or roughly 100 words.

2. Posting in script format gets you gone.

3. No use of character expies without tailoring them to this RP.

4. Follow the application format used below.

5. Extremely importantly, NO GODMODDING.

6. For all intents and purposes, my word is word of law. Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to go over my head in plot elements.

7. Remember the plot. I love subplots, I do, but don't forget what's going on here.

8. Overriding other people's characters makes everyone a sad panda. No one wants a sad panda.

[spoiler=Format]

RPer:

Username:

Character Real Name:

Actual Gender:

Appearance (in-game):

Personality:

Play Style (are you a damage sponge, agility tank, magic user, sniper, what?):

Level (No one is over Level 63 yet):

Family Relations (how are they relating with their family? Are they emailing their family?):

Notes (anything else I need to know?):

Actually, it does, in a way, at least from a marketing perspective: all the earlier areas are designed to attract new players and keep them involved. Any player who can get to those endgame areas is already hooked, and won't care that the areas around them are more graphically simplistic. These graphical downgrades would be patched over with time, as the game expanded.

A developer in a rapidly advancing market wouldn't expect to be forced out of working on their own game for upwards of three months.

I put too much thought into things, don't I?

RPer: Big Bad Pennar (You know me as Death Label - Shinki)
Username: Devimmortality
Character Real Name: she doesn't like to give out her real name on the internet, she even gives her name as "Una Owen" even though it isn't her real name
Actual Gender: Female
Appearance (in-game): Her Avatar's appearance is a 6'5" buff, statuesque figure made almost purely of solid steel, overlaid by many plates of armor overlaid similarly to Dragon Scales, Her face is covered in these metal plates aside from a pair of small slits for her eyes, which glow a bright green within. some of her "Scales" are tipped in Green fire, especially on her hands, arms, legs and feet. On her forehead, burnt through all pieces of armor, is a sun-shaped scar, likely an Infernal Brand. Her scales makes it impossible to actually tell her gender
Personality: Arrogant, Bold, and Compassionate, Although she doesn't show her Arrogance a lot, she takes loads of pride in defeating High Level enemies, and she likes to take on those enemies as well, using nothing more than herself and her own allies. Very sociable, she likes to draw attention to himself by making herself look as Villainous as possible, but in reality is very nice.
Play Style: Her Playstyle is a Combination of a Damage Sponge and a Reflex Tank with a very small Arsenal of Support abilities (Buffs and Debuffs to say).
Level: 60
Family Relations: She lives alone and doesn't speak to her family much, she isn't e-mailing his family to do bad things though, she also believes that nobody should be salty of the lag
Notes (anything else I need to know?): N/A

Archived