f*** it. This thread has needed to happen for a long time.

I don't think some of you understand. I'm not trying to make this place less fun and I'm not suggesting we should punish people for having a laugh, making jokes or posting popcorn gifs, the thing I'm trying to address is the ton of shitposting that goes on here. If we're discussing anything, don't post unless you have something to contribute, is what I'm saying. A bit of spam in the form of harmless banter is fine, but shitposts not only add nothing to a discussion, but they piss people off, which leads to pointless drama and the quality of discussion goes through the floor.

Maybe comparing my idea to the AC in CC was a bad idea, because the AC is strict as funk and the post length element of it is ridiculous. Just make a rule clearly stating that if you're trying to make a point or present your opinion, it has to have some substance to back it up.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it hilarious that we even have to have this conversation.

Like, people continue to reinforce the idea that the site as a whole (obviously barring some players) and the community are incapable of intellectual discussion and have no idea what they're talking about.

Full support, even though I have little to no hope in the majority of the community actually being willing to partake in it despite some of the comments here.

so i guess you just need to actually say what a shitpost is and how we can judge it objectively

A shitpost is something like "this card is stupid, it should be banned" or "this card is terrible and will never be used". These are just opinions not backed up by anything and they add nothing to a discussion and they annoy people.

A shitpost is something like "this card is stupid, it should be banned" or "this card is terrible and will never be used". These are just opinions not backed up by anything and they add nothing to a discussion and they annoy people.

Well, some cards really are so terrible that they'll never be used. Probably the best thing to do would be to lock the topic in this case.

Like, why would you for instance, discuss God Cloth Seiya vs. Aang? That's not a meritworthy discussion.

That's really what making people have a decent opening post is all about, to give the topic some discussion. Pilica, Descendant of Gusto isn't horrible to the point of unusable, but when I brought it up a while ago, I did mention I was using it in Symphonics (not anymore though) to give a starting point.

I'd say that's true, however it shouldn't be an issue. It would be best if people say more than that to begin with of course, but if they don't I think it's good to just ask them to explain, and if they don't, then ignore and warn/report them if they continue with similar posts..

To me a shitpost is more "Why did you even post?"

Though I guess it kinda works together. Since responding to spam-y/shitpost-y posts tends to be considered spam, unless you have something to actually add.

I'd say that's true, however it shouldn't be an issue. It would be best if people say more than that to begin with of course, but if they don't I think it's good to just ask them to explain, and if they don't, then ignore and warn/report them if they continue with similar posts..

To me a shitpost is more "Why did you even post?"

Though I guess it kinda works together. Since responding to spam-y/shitpost-y posts tends to be considered spam, unless you have something to actually add.

Why are people so selective? Saying "This card is cancer", "this card is bad", "this card is broken" is nothing but spamming. Why do we heavily punish spammers, but are all cuddly and fluffy with people who post this kind of stuff? It should be forbidden from the get go, not allowed and leave it up to us to tell them it's wrong.

Why are people so selective? Saying "This card is cancer", "this card is bad", "this card is broken" is nothing but spamming. Why do we heavily punish spammers, but are all cuddly and fluffy with people who post this kind of stuff? It should be forbidden from the get go, not allowed and leave it up to us to tell them it's wrong.

Having this discussion is actually good information for when I rewrite the TCG rules (which should be relatively soon). Part of what has kept me from tackling the task is procrastination. Er, I mean wanting to make a rules section that encapsulates the frequent issues that might crop up, and having a standard of what constitutes a bad post, even if people are more "selective" about what counts is all good info for me.

Define heavily punish?

I mean how often do people who post pictures of popcorn or salt containers get reps instead of warns?

And even if it's not allowed, my main point was that it's still up to others to not devolve things. One person does not a shitstorm make.

Define heavily punish?

I mean how often do people who post pictures of popcorn or salt containers get reps instead of warns?

And even if it's not allowed, my main point was that it's still up to others to not devolve things. One person does not a shitstorm make.

I've been warning people for this more recently, because "salt" and "salty" are tossed around so much that I don't even know what the term means anymore, and people substituting large pics for the word are just grating.

They can still get reps for it, because that's out of my control without me outright removing the reps or post.

Heavily punished, as I choose to interpret Klavier's statement, means to give warns for spam posts, and if they persist in such spam habits, to start making the warn more severe when they do it. Eventually, they'll either get the message or constantly be on the verge of having their content suspended.

I've been warning people for this more recently, because "salt" and "salty" are tossed around so much that I don't even know what the term means anymore, and people substituting large pics for the word are just grating.

They can still get reps for it, because that's out of my control without me outright removing the reps or post.

Heavily punished, as I choose to interpret Klavier's statement, means to give warns for spam posts, and if they persist in such spam habits, to start making the warn more severe when they do it. Eventually, they'll either get the message or constantly be on the verge of having their content suspended.

...Or, you can just ban them, seeing as it's a specific set of people doing it over and over again.

...Or, you can just ban them, seeing as it's a specific set of people doing it over and over again.

No, it's not banworthy. Not in the sense of getting outright bans. Letting them accumulate warn points and getting temp bans as a result should be sufficient.

Going full force abruptly when it comes to enforcing rules is only going to alarm people or make them tread on eggshells. Making examples of people is only so effective. Making examples of PERSISTENT issues is another matter entirely.

Archived