(MtG:EDH) Scion of the Ur-Dragon

Krein

I like dragons too much. There is not a single deck I've made for this game that does not contain dragons.

[spoiler=Scion of the Ur-Dragon]Monsters (30):

Scion of the Ur-Dragon

Dragonlord Atarka

Dragonlord Dromoka

Dragonlord Kolaghan

Dragonlord Ojutai

Dragonlord Silumgar

Atarka, the World Render

Dromoka, the Eternal

Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury

Ojutai, Soul of Winter

Silumgar, the Drifting Death

Teneb, the Harvester

Intet, the Dreamer

Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius

Numot, the Devastator

Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon

Bladewing the Risen

Balefire Dragon

Utvara Hellkite

Dragon Tyrant

Flameblast Dragon

Hellkite Overlord

Hellkite Tyrant

Mana-Charged Dragon

Scourge of the Throne

Scourge of Valkas

Aurelia, the Warleader

Kaalia of the Vast

Maelstrom Archangel

Gisela, Blade of Goldknight

Sorceries (14):

Akroma's Vengeance

Crux of Fate

End Hostilities

Demonic Tutor

Diabolic Tutor

Fearsome Awakening

False Defeat

Breath of Life

Reanimate

Resurrection

Vigor Mortis

Unburial Rites

Zombify

Dread Return

Instants (6):

Boros Charm

Bant Charm

Doom Blade

Hero's Downfall

Go for the Throat

Path to Exile

Artifacts (10):

Abzan Banner

Temur Banner

Mardu Banner

Jeskai Banner

Sultai Banner

Manalith

Commander's Sphere

Chromatic Lantern

Sol Ring

Scroll Rack

Lands (40):

Frontier Bivouac

Mystic Monastery

Nomad Outpost

Sandsteppe Citadel

Opulent Palace

Crumbling Necropolis

Savage Lands

Jungle Shrine

Seaside Citadel

Arcane Sanctum

Haven of the Spirit Dragon

Crucible of the Spirit Dragon

Mana Confluence

Exotic Orchard

Forbidden Orchard

Ancient Ziggurat

Ancient Tomb

Cavern of Souls

City of Brass

Command Tower

10x Shocklands

10x True Dual Lands

This is my first Commander deck, and other than looking up some Scion decklists for ideas and having some cards suggested to me by Yui, I spent a long time making this myself. I would really, REALLY like some feedback on this.

Since you're playing penta, I'm just gonna recommend good sheet.

- Manalith, False Defeat, Breath of Life, the first 10 lands in your list, 2 dragons of your choice, all 5 banners

+ 2 of each basic land (don't want Ruination to wreck your day), Belltoll Dragon (another source of hexproof), Moltensteel Dragon (OHKO with Scion and Skittles), Darksteel Ingot (strictly better than Manalith), Animate Dead (more mana-efficient reanimation), Patriarch's Bidding (reanimate all the dragons!!!), Supreme Verdict, Dragonlord's Prerogative, Sarkhan's Triumph, Crackling Doom, Sultai Charm (these five are just good)

Also consider Dragonlord's Servant, Dragonspeaker Shaman and Bladewing's Thrall.

Since you're playing penta, I'm just gonna recommend good s***.

- Manalith, False Defeat, Breath of Life, the first 10 lands in your list, 2 dragons of your choice, all 5 banners

+ 2 of each basic land (don't want Ruination to wreck your day), Belltoll Dragon (another source of hexproof), Moltensteel Dragon (OHKO with Scion and Skittles), Darksteel Ingot (strictly better than Manalith), Animate Dead (more mana-efficient reanimation), Patriarch's Bidding (reanimate all the dragons!!!), Supreme Verdict, Dragonlord's Prerogative, Sarkhan's Triumph, Crackling Doom, Sultai Charm (these five are just good)

Also consider Dragonlord's Servant, Dragonspeaker Shaman and Bladewing's Thrall.

Thanks for the feedback, these are some very good suggestions.

I can understand why you'd tell me to get rid of the wedge lands, but why remove the clan banners? I know that mana is a very important part of the game, especially in Commander where you need to have a large mana base. The banners all give me up to 3 colors of mana plus an extra draw if I want to test my luck (though I doubt I'd actually use this ability), so I'm a bit iffy about swapping them out for removal and advantage cards, as awesome as their effects are.

I really like Patriarch's Bidding and was planning on including it somewhere in the deck, but I don't know why I excluded it. It might take a bit to pack the graveyard, but if I mill the right dragons (Dragon Tyrant, Scourge of the Throne, Moltensteel, etc) I think only a few of them should swing games in my favor.

Animate Dead is also a card I had in some of the earlier version of the deck. I'm thinking about tossing it back in there, but I was also thinking of using Diabolic Servitude instead. 4 mana isn't too much, and it can send itself back to my hand for reuse if its target dies. The only downside I see about it is that its target gets exiled when it dies, and that's no fun for this deck :(.

You need Mistveil Plains to recycle s***, and a tithe to search it.

Mistveil Plains is great, though I'm unsure of what land I could cut to squeeze it in. Maybe Ancient Tomb?

Thanks for the feedback, these are some very good suggestions.

I can understand why you'd tell me to get rid of the wedge lands, but why remove the clan banners? I know that mana is a very important part of the game, especially in Commander where you need to have a large mana base. The banners all give me up to 3 colors of mana plus an extra draw if I want to test my luck (though I doubt I'd actually use this ability), so I'm a bit iffy about swapping them out for removal and advantage cards, as awesome as their effects are.

I really like Patriarch's Bidding and was planning on including it somewhere in the deck, but I don't know why I excluded it. It might take a bit to pack the graveyard, but if I mill the right dragons (Dragon Tyrant, Scourge of the Throne, Moltensteel, etc) I think only a few of them should swing games in my favor.

Animate Dead is also a card I had in some of the earlier version of the deck. I'm thinking about tossing it back in there, but I was also thinking of using Diabolic Servitude instead. 4 mana isn't too much, and it can send itself back to my hand for reuse if its target dies. The only downside I see about it is that its target gets exiled when it dies, and that's no fun for this deck :(.

There's a critical mass of ramp you need in a deck: once you get a certain number of them, you don't want to draw more during the course of the game over actual threats. Since you're playing mono-green, I'd suggest looking into spells that can actually put lands on the battlefield for you. Examples are Skyshroud Claim, Ranger's Path, Nature's Lore, and Farseek. Removal, however, is always welcome.

Animate Dead can steal stuff from an opponent's graveyard. Diabolic Servitude can't. Make of that what you will.

On second thought, though, I'd rather cut End Hostilities for Supreme Verdict. You don't need more than 2-3 sweepers in a given deck, and Hostilities is by far the worst one there.

Alright, so most of the changes suggested were made:

- 10 Wedge Lands

- 5 Clan Banners

- Manalith

- Intet, the Dreamer

- Breath of Life

- False Defeat

- End Hostilities

+ 2 of every basic land

+ Darksteel Ingot

+ Worn Power Stone

+ Moltensteel Dragon

+ Animate Dead

+ Crackling Doom

+ Sultai Charm

+ Supreme Verdict

+ Patriarch's Bidding

+ Dragonlord's Prerogative

+ Sarkhan's Triumph

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions, I'm liking the way it looks now more than I did before. Anymore suggestions are welcome, as well as some advice on tips and tricks to how to use this deck more effectively (I never would have guessed the Molten Skithiryx move).

Another thing that would be cool would be some budget suggestions, particularly for the lands. According to Deck Analyzer, this deck costs close to $2000 (seriously wtf), mainly due to the True Duals. Without those, the price drops down to around $500+, which is still a bit too much. And I thought that $160 for U/R Dragons was bad @_@.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions, I'm liking the way it looks now more than I did before. Anymore suggestions are welcome, as well as some advice on tips and tricks to how to use this deck more effectively (I never would have guessed the Molten Skithiryx move).

Another thing that would be cool would be some budget suggestions, particularly for the lands. According to Deck Analyzer, this deck costs close to $2000 (seriously wtf), mainly due to the True Duals. Without those, the price drops down to around $500+, which is still a bit too much. And I thought that $160 for U/R Dragons was bad @_@.

Alright, so most of the changes suggested were made:

A good EDH deck (aka, one that's not just a pile of draft chaff) can run $150-200. Pentacolor is worse, though, because the landbase needs to be consistent. You can't just have a ton of basics in there, or else you may never draw the color you need. There are a number of lesser-run cycles, which may be less efficient but are still good. Here are my suggestions:

- 10 ABU duals

+ 5 core set checklands (Glacial Fortress, Drowned Catacombs, Dragonskull Summit, Rootbound Crag, Sunpetal Grove)

+ 5 enemy painlands (Caves of Koilos, Llanowar Wastes, Yavimaya Coast, Shivan Reef, Battlefield Forge)

- Forbidden Orchard, Ancient Tomb, Mana Confluence

+ Crystal Quarry, Temple of the False God, City of Brass

This is only a start, I'll cover the rest of the lands and non-lands after watching this stream. (:

EDIT:

- Kaalia of the Vast (although she’s very good in this sort of deck, she’s also almost $35 at the moment)

- Maelstrom Wanderer ($15, not necessary for the deck/doesn’t fit the theme)

- Gisela, Blade of Goldnight ($10, overkill)

- Path to Exile (expensive right now due to being a staple in Modern)

+ Savage Ventmaw (dirt cheap dragon that's very good with ramping)

+ Wargate (~$2, pricy mana-wise but unconditionally cheats anything out of your deck)

+ Swords to Plowshares (one-fourth the price of PtE and just as good)

+ Wardscale Dragon, Deathbringer Regent or Icefall Regent (both relatively-recent dragons that are good utility with Scion)

Check and Pain Lands noted. I've actually seen them before and was already considering to use them for a budget version. I think they'll fill the role of the True Duals just fine. The other suggested lands are cool, and I think I'll be able to afford Forbidden Orchard anyway since it's only around 6 or 7 bucks according to TCGPlayer.

I actually happen to have a Path to Exile which I got from my first and only FNM, and of a different art at that. I like Gisela though, her overkill ability helped me kill someone who had like 58 life while I was at 4 (though I also happened to have Atarka and Scion as Scourge of the Throne on the field, but still). Maelstrom Archangel is the one I run, and he basically acts like a pseudo Kaalia for me.

The only other suggestion I'll question is Deathbringer Regent. His nuke effect activates when he's cast from the hand, so I don't see how Scion would be able to make use of him (unless I'm missing something). He'd be nice to drop if I happen to have him in hand though, so I'll keep an eye on him.

Any other good budget options?

Check and Pain Lands noted. I've actually seen them before and was already considering to use them for a budget version. I think they'll fill the role of the True Duals just fine. The other suggested lands are cool, and I think I'll be able to afford Forbidden Orchard anyway since it's only around 6 or 7 bucks according to TCGPlayer.

I actually happen to have a Path to Exile which I got from my first and only FNM, and of a different art at that. I like Gisela though, her overkill ability helped me kill someone who had like 58 life while I was at 4 (though I also happened to have Atarka and Scion as Scourge of the Throne on the field, but still). Maelstrom Archangel is the one I run, and he basically acts like a pseudo Kaalia for me.

The only other suggestion I'll question is Deathbringer Regent. His nuke effect activates when he's cast from the hand, so I don't see how Scion would be able to make use of him (unless I'm missing something). He'd be nice to drop if I happen to have him in hand though, so I'll keep an eye on him.

Any other good budget options?

I just don't think Orchard is worth it because it gives your opponents bodies. There are plenty of other penta lands that don't have that steep a drawback. EDIT: Wow, forgot the Orchard tokens don't have flying. Go ahead and keep it in there, then. You'll just go right over their heads.

There are plenty of other damage doublers out there, although Gisela is probably the best. Look into Dictate of the Twin Gods: it can be a surprise finisher to beef up your damage output. And how could I have read that list three times and misread Archangel as Wanderer? //facepalm She's still $10, though, so keeping her isn't necessary.

Deathbringer's a nuke on a body. Yeah, you're right that he doesn't trigger with Scion, but he's still a very good card. You can't overvalue board wipes that leave you up an evasive monster.

As for more budget suggestions:

- Exhume's an alternative to Reanimate if you need something low-CMC.

- Increasing Ambition is a viable budget alternative to Demonic Tutor. It's fun to flashback, too.

- Scroll Rack is superfluous without a ton of shuffle effects, which your deck lacks. I'd cut and replace it for another draw spell of your choice.

Alright, so after applying the budget cards to the deck, the final price came to be around $375. That was still a bit too much for me, and unfortunately the things that were raising the price were the 10 Shocklands and Cavern of Souls. I know how good and crucial those things are so I'm thinking about not cutting them, but to further "budgetize" the deck I replaced them with the 10 wedge lands I had before. To replace Cavern of Souls (which was $40+), I chose the wonderful, magnificent, and legendary...

City of Ass.

I'm not joking either, it seems to be a very good card that can take Cavern's place XD... unfortunately, it's banned, which I found out while typing this post :(. Ok, so maybe something like Transguild Promenade would be better. Idk anymore I wanted to use City of Ass because lol.

Anyway, after those changes, the price drops down to $261. Still expensive by my standards, but more reasonable.

Archived