Gimmicky Vanilla Support Cards

VCR_CAT

I'll let the cards do the talking

tgMZ59a.png

Never tell me the odds.

7fGpXgV.png

Equip only to a face-up "Reckless Underdog" you control while your LP are half or less than your opponent's LP. Monsters equipped with this card cannot be destroyed by battle, and you take no damage from battles involving that card. If the monster equipped with this card declares an attack, it gains 1000 ATK until the end of the Battle Phase. Once per turn, you can pay LP in multiples of 100: The monster equipped with this card can attack monsters your opponent controls for every 100 LP you paid. During the end phase of your opponent's next turn, banish this card.

opICN2T.png

If a face-up "Overdrive" you control attacks or is attacked; target that monster: It gains 1000 ATK for every card in your hand, also destroy it at the end of the Battle Phase you activated this card, and if you do, you take damage equal to the ATK it gained.

vcrixaN.png

Target 1 face-up "Oni Tank T-34" you control: Equip this card to that target. When it is destroyed, destroy this card. If the equipped monster battles a monster with higher ATK, you can discard 1 card: The equipped monster's ATK becomes equal to the ATK of the monster it's battling. If both battling monsters are destroyed by that battle, inflict damage equal to the combined original ATK of both monsters to both players.

ElBAv6j.png

Pay 1000 LP and Banish 1 face-up "Neo the Magic Swordsman" you control: Special Summon 1 "Trance the Magic Swordsman" from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard, and if you do, it cannot be destroyed by card effects until the end of your opponent's next turn. You can only activate 1 "Alchemic Rift" per turn.

I love these cards, Drew. I always get excited whenever I see new vanillas and support for vanillas.

Reckless Underdog is a pretty cool card, but its support card I'm not a fan of. Not being able to destroy monsters kills it for me.

Maximum Overdrive is an AMAZING support card for one of my favorite vanillas. That ATK gain is absolutely amazing, being able to do a lot of damage and destroy just about any card that isn't immune. Of course, it's balanced, since Overdrive goes boom at the end of the Battle Phase, and you take a ton of damage as a result. So if it was the only monster you had on the field: uh-oh.

Fearless Player is an alright support for another of my favorite vanillas. Its suicide effect is a great Ring of Destruction-esque effect, being able to end games in a heartbeat.

I LOVE Alchemic Rift. Neo and Trance are another two of my favorite vanillas, and being able to bring out Trance so easily with protection from effect destruction until your next turn is great. It goes with the flavor, too, which is great.

I hope you make some more, Drew. I love these kinds of cards. <3

Thanks for the compliments!

It seems you may have misread Undying Tenacity. What the card does is it makes the equipped monster immune to battle, and prevents battle damage. On top of that, it has its ridiculous multi-attack effect. What this means is that Reckless Underdog can keep attacking a monster and gaining ATK until it surpasses that monster and destroys it in battle. So you can use this to clear a field of monsters, and you can also use it to get over some ridiculous walls.

And then both Maximum Overdrive and Fearless Player are plays on the rivalry between Overdrive and Oni Tank as depicted in Pole Position and Chicken Race. In other words, the idea is that with their support cards, neither card wins against each other and it becomes a chicken race of who's going to attack and who's going to initiate the mutual loss. It's kind of a Chicken Race in the game; if you both follow through with it, you both lose.

And then Alchemic Rift, which was probably the easiest one to make considering the lore behind Trance and Neo. Basically put, this is a card to depict that "Trip into outer space" that makes Neo a lot stronger; and the destruction-prevention added on to illustrate that a bit.

Overall, all cards were focused a lot more on lore and flavor than actual impact; and it's really enjoyable to make cards like that. I'll definitely be making more for other vanillas or heavily underused cards in the future.

Archived