Fun with Names! The Generation Archetype [WRITTEN]

Tinkerer

Hello, fine peoples!  I have an archetype that, well, changes their names to summon monster(s) with the same name from your deck.  The card Lores tend to be a bit lengthy (due to the name changing mechanic present in most of the cards), so if you don't want to read through it all, I'll give an abridged version below each group of monsters.  Of course, the abridged version doesn't specify things, so if you want to know what the cards do specifically, you have to look in the sets themselves.

As always, feel free to CnC on anything.  I like to think I didn't make any mistakes when I post an archetype, but oftentimes I tend to overlook things, so if you see something that stands out, feel free to let me know! Enjoy!

[spoiler=Ant Generation]Ant Generation 1
EARTH **
Insect/Effect
If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Generation" monster, you can draw 1 card. You can discard any number of cards; this card's name becomes "Ant Generation X" where X is the number of cards discarded. You can tribute this card to Special Summon 1 monster from your Deck with the same name as this card on the field. You can only use each effect of "Ant Generation 1" once per turn.
500/500

Ant Generation 2
EARTH ****
Insect/Effect
If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Generation" monster, you can draw 2 cards. You can discard any number of cards; this card's name becomes "Ant Generation X" where X is the number of cards discarded. You can tribute this card to Special Summon 1 monster from your Deck with the same name as this card on the field. You can only use each effect of "Ant Generation 2" once per turn.
1000/1000

Ant Generation 3
EARTH ******
Insect/Effect
If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Generation" monster, you can add up to 2 "Generation" cards from your Deck to your Hand. You can discard any number of cards; this card's name becomes "Ant Generation X" where X is the number of cards discarded. You can tribute this card to Special Summon 1 monster from your Deck with the same name as this card on the field. You can only use each effect of "Ant Generation 3" once per turn.
1500/1500

Ant Generation 4
EARTH ********
Insect/Effect
If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Generation" monster, you can add up to 3 "Generation" cards from your Deck to your Hand or draw 3 cards. You can discard any number of cards; this card's name becomes "Ant Generation X" where X is the number of cards discarded. You can tribute this card to Special Summon 1 monster from your Deck with the same name as this card on the field. You can only use each effect of "Ant Generation 4" once per turn.
2000/2000

[spoiler=Ant Generation Abridged Effects]They can discard cards to change their names. When they are special summoned from another Generation monster, they provide draw/search power depending on the card.

[spoiler=Hornet Generation]Hornet Generation 1
WIND **
Insect/Effect
If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Generation" monster, you can target 1 card on the field, destroy it. You can discard any number of cards; this card's name becomes "Hornet Generation X" where X is the number of cards discarded. You can tribute this card to Special Summon 1 monster from your Deck with the same name as this card on the field. You can only use each effect of "Hornet Generation 1" once per turn.
750/250

Hornet Generation 2
WIND ****
Insect/Effect
If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Generation" monster, you can target 2 cards on the field, destroy them. You can discard any number of cards; this card's name becomes "Hornet Generation X" where X is the number of cards discarded. You can tribute this card to Special Summon 1 monster from your Deck with the same name as this card on the field. You can only use each effect of "Hornet Generation 2" once per turn.
1500/500

Hornet Generation 3
WIND ******
Insect/Effect
If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Generation" monster, you can destroy all non-"Generation" monsters OR spell/trap cards on the field. You can discard any number of cards; this card's name becomes "Hornet Generation X" where X is the number of cards discarded. You can tribute this card to Special Summon 1 monster from your Deck with the same name as this card on the field. You can only use each effect of "Hornet Generation 3" once per turn.
2250/750

Hornet Generation 4
WIND ********
Insect/Effect
If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Generation" monster, you can destroy all cards on the field, except this card. You can discard any number of cards; this card's name becomes "Hornet Generation X" where X is the number of cards discarded.  You can tribute this card to Special Summon 1 monster from your Deck with the same name as this card on the field.  You can only use each effect of "Hornet Generation 4" once per turn.
3000/1000

[spoiler=Hornet Generation Abridged Effects]The main attackers of the set. When they are Special Summoned, they destroy cards, with the higher levels becoming field nukes.

[spoiler=Water Beetle Generation]Water Beetle Generation 1
WATER **
Insect/Effect
If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Generation" monster, you can activate this effect: your opponent discards 1 card. You can discard any number of cards; this card's name becomes "Water Beetle Generation X" where X is the number of cards discarded. You can tribute this card to Special Summon 1 monster from your Deck with the same name as this card on the field. You can only use each effect of "Water Beetle Generation 1" once per turn.
250/750

Water Beetle Generation 2
WATER ****
Insect/Effect
If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Generation" monster, you can activate this effect: your opponent discards 2 cards. You can discard any number of cards; this card's name becomes "Water Beetle Generation X" where X is the number of cards discarded. You can tribute this card to Special Summon 1 monster from your Deck with the same name as this card on the field. You can only use each effect of "Water Beetle Generation 2" once per turn. 
500/1500

Water Beetle Generation 3
WATER ******
Insect/Effect
If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Generation" monster, you can activate this effect: look at your opponent's hand; discard 2 cards. You can discard any number of cards; this card's name becomes "Water Beetle Generation X" where X is the number of cards discarded. You can tribute this card to Special Summon 1 monster from your Deck with the same name as this card on the field.  You can only use each effect of "Water Beetle Generation 3" once per turn.

750/2250

Water Beetle Generation 4
WATER ********
Insect/Effect
If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Generation" monster, you can activate this effect: look at your opponent's hand; banish 3 of their cards face-down. You can discard any number of cards; this card's name becomes "Water Beetle Generation X" where X is the number of cards discarded.  You can tribute this card to Special Summon 1 monster from your Deck with the same name as this card on the field.  You can only use each effect of "Water Beetle Generation 4" once per turn.
1000/3000

[spoiler=Water Beetle Generation Abridged Effects]The defending monsters.  Instead of drawing or popping, these cards focus on inhibiting your opponent by making them discard randomly or choosing what they discard (depending on what's summoned).

[spoiler=Firefly Generation]Firefly Generation 1
FIRE **
Insect/Effect
This card cannot be Special Summoned. You can discard any number of cards and tribute this card; Special Summon a number of "Generation 1" Insect-type monsters from your Deck equal to the number of cards discarded. Their effects are negated until the End Phase. You can only Special Summon Insect-type monsters the turn you use this effect.
0/0

Firefly Generation 2
FIRE ****
Insect/Effect
This card cannot be Special Summoned. You can discard any number of cards and tribute this card; Special Summon a number of "Generation 2" Insect-type monsters from your Deck equal to the number of cards discarded. The monsters Summoned this way cannot be destroyed by battle until your next Standby Phase. Their effects are negated until the End Phase. You can only Special Summon Insect-type monsters the turn you use this effect.
0/0

Firefly Generation 3
FIRE ******
Insect/Effect
This card cannot be Special Summoned. You can discard any number of cards and tribute this card; Special Summon a number of "Generation 3" Insect-type monsters from your Deck equal to the number of cards discarded. The monsters Summoned this way cannot be targeted or destroyed until your next Standby Phase. Their effects are negated until the End Phase. You can only Special Summon Insect-type monsters the turn you use this effect.
0/0

Firefly Generation 4
FIRE ********
Insect/Effect
This card cannot be Special Summoned. You can discard any number of cards and tribute this card; Special Summon a number of "Generation 4" Insect-type monsters from your Deck equal to the number of cards discarded. The monsters Summoned this way are unaffected by all your opponent's card effects and cannot be destroyed until your next Standby Phase. Their effects are negated until the End Phase. You can only Special Summon Insect-type monsters the turn you use this effect.
0/0

[spoiler=Firefly Generation Abridged Effects]The hard workers of the archetype. They have no stats, but they give the deck the powerful swarming potential it needs. They have conditions that stop the deck from becoming too ridiculous though but still offers protection so that the cards aren't sitting ducks.

...And the spell and trap support that I am planning involves generic good.dek stuff with the side effect of being able to do different stuff if discarded.  

Certainly a very interesting mechanic! It's always nice to see creative sets that aren't all about searching/floodgates/and other meta things that make for an unhealthy game.

Instead of reviewing one by one, I'll first do some notes and wait for the s/t support to be added.

- Maybe you missed this possibility, but the Level 4 monsters can Summon another copy of them from the deck and get their effects. The reason why I'm pointing this out is because some of them give so much unfair advantage for such a costless move. For example, "Hornet Generation 2" can be Normal Summoned; tributed for its (3) effect; Summon another "Hornet Generation 2" from Deck; pop 2 cards. I can see something like this or that one that makes you draw 2 cards easily becoming staples for any Deck, since all you need is another copy in the Deck. If that's not how you want them to fit into the game, may I suggest this change on their effects: "If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Generation" monster, except "(Insert name of this card here)": You can..."

- Although the new High Level Special Summoned monster from the Deck can recover any wasted resource for its summon, the risk of getting Breakthrough Skilled after discarding 4 cards for the cost is very high. In these cases the cost is a bit too much. May I suggest you make the 'discard to gain name' become part of the effect? That would make things a lot better.

Those were just initial thoughts, I'm still digesting some of their effects. But this is already looking like it has a lot of potential and I would love to see what you have planned for this archetype. Excelent work!

Archived