[Discussion] Character Application and Details

Half because it'd been a while, half because I'm frustrated that Skype's lagging ridiculously when I wanted to discuss about this with some people. Not to mention, Cowcow just made the application review thread (has been sticki'd in this section), so it's a really appropriate time to do this thread.

Character application seem to be an integral part of role plays, especially in YCM. Whether it's detailed or not, whether it's used used to establish information that would be used as a base when the roleplay go IC or if it's used as application forms to be evaluated in a process of selection, and whether it's something integral to stick with or perhaps deviations from it would be acceptable if it works in the narrative.

There's a lot of ways to see applications and their role, it's quite interesting to see.

So, let's talk about the questions!

1. What do you think regarding their importance? What do you see as a good application, if you do see it as important? And, do you think a good application would necessarily translate well into IC?

2. How much importance do you put regarding details when you make an app? Do you just convey what's necessary, or do you make it as detailed as much as you can? Personality, biography, what way do you usually use to say what you want to say about your character? And do you also put importance in the little details (like your character's name, age, quirks, appearance and how would they play out, theme songs, etc)?

3. If you are a host, do you judge apps (in the cases that you do) regarding their individual quality, or do you also see how each characters would interact with each other during the process of selection? Or do you have any other criteria?

You can answer the above questions, or talk about character application in general.

So, let's discuss.

1. Despite that I made that character review thread I would say that the apps don't necessarily have to be majorly important. That is to say what matters is what you write IC and how you write the character. But I do think it's really good to have some idea of what kind of characters we're working with, and it can show you are dedicated and know how to write your character. And a good app, honestly, is one that DOES translate and work well IC.

2. I don't really need a ton of detail when it comes to the big things, as long as it flows together cohesively and makes a believable character. It's nice to know certain things like morals and how they interact with others though.

As for little details, I love them. Small things that make them just a bit more interesting. I also really like when the age and name and everything like that...just works. I can't explain it but it's just a feeling you get when you write a great name and go "Yeah, that's perfect".

Applications are essential. I don't care how good your concept for a character is: if you don't have the ability to translate the idea in your head into paper properly, you're probably not what I'm looking for in an RP. Also, who said that quote? "A good essay RP application is like a skirt: long enough to cover the important bits, but short enough to still be interesting." It generally applies to me too. I don't like massive encyclopaedic applications, as I like to leave some things up to the writer to reveal when he/she deems fit. I honestly leave it to the discretion of whoever's writing the application. I generally know the styles of the regulars in this section by this point.

And I judge applications all at once, generally choosing characters that complement one another and fill "holes on the team," so to speak. That's why I generally set deadlines for applications, as having people come in late throws that off.

"A good essay RP application is like a skirt: long enough to cover the important bits, but short enough to still be interesting."

Best quote 2015.

1 - They're you're character in written form in a concise, orderly manner. Pretty much as Rinne, said, essential. A good application, to me at least, is something new, but nothing overly cliché. The more believable the better. Good applications, however, only reflect character creation ability - not role-playing in character. Someone can make a character as whimsical as can be, but play them like a slab of stone.

2 - I'm short and sweet with my applications. I'd rather not bother taking excessive time on an application since I want to get into the IC faster, but I'd never go lacking in an app. That, and excess is always gross and a chore to read.

3 - I judge apps in a single batch post. It usually takes some time, and I also get help from a pair of reliable voices - but I never forget an overarching picture on interactivity. Role-plays are all about interaction, if I see a character who is inherently anti-interactionist I will generally be hearing alarm bells.

I also very much enjoy people's formatting of applications. I personally continue to use my modified variant of .:Blu:.'s old application form, which is spoiler-heavy and the occasional horizontal rule to separate images from text, on top of a 500x500 profile image, a face-cap of course, with faded edges for seamlessness.

1. There's a good difference between essay writing, which is what apps essentially are, and writing a character in prose, but the application serves as a basic test of competency for the English language and the writer's creative vision.
  2. I cover everything I think is important or everything that immediately comes to mind about the character. This usually means an overview how their interact with others, what sides to their personality exist, and their morals, plus whatever else I think is interesting. Here is probably where I differ from Rinne and Kyng, because I need to get my ideas down on paper.
  3. I pick the ones that stand out the most to me first, and then I pick the ones that fill the holes in the team.

1. When I make a character for a story, I make two separate character profiles. "Statistics," which lists dry data such as name, birthday, appearance, etc. And "Coloring" which describes their personality and background, how they speak, think, etc. So I agree that having an application is useful, at least as a way to record the character so you don't forget.

2. Unless I feel particularly verbose, I don't put much more than what's required into an RP application. I especially struggle with getting enough words for personality, as that's a thing I figure out while I write the character, not beforehand. I mean, I have enough beforehand, but it's not a complete picture. Like slowly uncovering bones from an excavation site.

3. I judge them both by individual quality and how well they'd work with others. I also consider the RPer. Some people make super detailed apps but then revert to stereotypes in IC. Then there are those that just aren't reliable, and are the first to drop any RP. Newcomers are judged by app alone. I also have a bit of a bias against "lone wolves" since the whole point of an RP is interaction, not brooding in a dark corner away from everybody else.

Archived