Marriage

Fusion X. Denver

That's my opinion, no need to get snippy now.

I'll be happy to hear an alternative opinion, though I stand by my statement. Lasting relationships require effort from both parties and can't rely simply on chemistry and passion. 

Your opinion, is your opinion.

I just find find it amusing how you introduced said opinion by downplaying "Hollywood love" as being this fantastical imaginative thing, yet seeing as though you've never been married, I'm just wondering where you got all of these solidified opinions about marriage. 

My goal isn't to devalue you your opinion or personally attack you by the way, I'm just trying to showcase the fact that people generally have very cemented ideals pertaining to subjects like this. Most of the time we think it's our own "opinion" on the matter, but really it's just us nitpicking what we believe is a correct portrayal of said subject from societal norms, the media and generally what we're taught. By that logic, your opinion isn't really your opinion, is it?

Your "opinion" is actually just a composition reflecting on the facets of other opinions. Of course, as humans, we all do this regardless of the fact and innately it isn't really an issue on it's own. The real issue however stems from the ideology that these borrowed opinions are in fact our own. In actuality the only opinions that are truly our own are the ones we create ourselves from our own experiences.

My point here is to withhold definitive statements on subjects until you've experienced them thoroughly, and even after honestly as opinions are subject to change, that's the beauty of them. And to a broader extent, question the opinions of others and more importantly, question your own. 

Hey, if an idyllic marriage is possible, then I'm all for it.

Or if there really is someone I want to spend the rest of my life regardless of ups and downs, then I suppose marriage is a nice and symbolic thing for us to do.

Otherwise, I'm pretty indifferent.

Your opinion, is your opinion.

I just find find it amusing how you introduced said opinion by downplaying "Hollywood love" as being this fantastical imaginative thing, yet seeing as though you've never been married, I'm just wondering where you got all of these solidified opinions about marriage. 

My goal isn't to devalue you your opinion or personally attack you by the way, I'm just trying to showcase the fact that people generally have very cemented ideals pertaining to subjects like this. Most of the time we think it's our own "opinion" on the matter, but really it's just us nitpicking what we believe is a correct portrayal of said subject from societal norms, the media and generally what we're taught. By that logic, your opinion isn't really your opinion, is it?

Your "opinion" is actually just a composition reflecting on the facets of other opinions. Of course, as humans, we all do this regardless of the fact and innately it isn't really an issue on it's own. The real issue however stems from the ideology that these borrowed opinions are in fact our own. In actuality the only opinions that are truly our own are the ones we create ourselves from our own experiences.

My point here is to withhold definitive statements on subjects until you've experienced them thoroughly, and even after honestly as opinions are subject to change, that's the beauty of them. And to a broader extent, question the opinions of others and more importantly, question your own. 

That's fair. I've never been married and though I've been in a committed relationship for almost three years, I still have a ways to go before I am ready to consider marriage. 

But like you said, the relationship is what's important, and I think that what I said before still applies based on experiences I've had. Not to say that you will eventually lose affection for your significant other entirely, but there are going to be days when you don't feel it as much, or when there is some kind of disagreement that drives the couple slightly apart, and coming to a resolution can often require one to put the other before themselves and it's not always easy.

Love is a divisive subject but to me, that's what true love is, and it's why I feel the way I do about marriage. It means that you are committed to putting another person's needs before your own for as long as you're both alive, and they're willing to do the same for you. I think that level of commitment is amazing, and I want to be able to do that myself.

No hard feelings btw, your perceived tone rubbed me the wrong way but I know you weren't being malicious. Cheers~

That's fair. I've never been married and though I've been in a committed relationship for almost three years, I still have a ways to go before I am ready to consider marriage. 

But like you said, the relationship is what's important, and I think that what I said before still applies based on experiences I've had. Not to say that you will eventually lose affection for your significant other entirely, but there are going to be days when you don't feel it as much, or when there is some kind of disagreement that drives the couple slightly apart, and coming to a resolution can often require one to put the other before themselves and it's not always easy.

Love is a divisive subject but to me, that's what true love is, and it's why I feel the way I do about marriage. It means that you are committed to putting another person's needs before your own for as long as you're both alive, and they're willing to do the same for you. I think that level of commitment is amazing, and I want to be able to do that myself.

No hard feelings btw, your perceived tone rubbed me the wrong way but I know you weren't being malicious. Cheers~

Someone on YCM who isn't stubborn and considers others points of view, do my eyes deceive me? You're dope, cheers bud. 

Archived