My Hero Academia

Shradow

Gonna be honest, forgot that Deku got so embarrassed around Uraraka in the beginning. They're just friends. Also, you feel she's a klutzy air-head? Not sure where you're getting that from. I think you'll probably like her later in the series, though. A large number of the cast get their fair share of fleshing out/development throughout the series.

I can't say the series isn't generic, though. It definitely is, but it just executes the tropes of a shounen series really well, imo.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I love about this show.  From reading the manga, I can personally assure you that what this tries to do is take those standard copy-paste Shounen stereotypes and actually flesh them out like they should have been in the first place.

Every character is flawed, but the creators don't simply try to compensate for the flaws of their characters or ignore them.  Rather, every character will grow and develope over the course of it all.  The flaws were not just something that arose when the characters were drafted.  They were intentionally written in so that the characters had room to grow just like the protagonist.  That's exactly what you do when writing a story.  Anyone can have good traits, but flaws of a character are what bring them down to the reader's level.  They become more relatbale when you see them try to deal with these flaws, and it's interesting to see them overcome those flaws as the series progresses.  That's the secret to interesting characters, and it's something the manga handles brilliantly.

Episode 7 is going to be the first example of this.  I won't say much more than that for obvious spoiler reasons, but just know that everything you may find annoying with the series has been placed there on purpose at this early stage of the plot.  Unfortunately you may have to wait until season 2 to see Ochako grow, assuming season 1 really does end where we theorize it will get to.

Bakugou's VA is freaking awesome, on point this episode.

EDIT: So there's a new little PV introducing the guy you see in the OP, just wanted to share because I'm super excited to hear the full song this thing is teasing, it sounds really cool. Really like the VA, too, heard him before as Tsukishima in Haikyuu!! and Raku in Nisekoi.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone here happens to be caught up on the manga, but...

[spoiler=Chapter 94, do not funking open this if you haven't read all the manga.]Holy sheet what a heavy chapter. All For One is down, and now All Might's finally used up the last of One For All as well. UNITED STATES OF SMASH was awesome. I'm really glad All Might lived, though, I was so afraid he'd die by the end of this battle.

And I was wondering how All For One was able to see with his messed up face, glad we got an explanation as he was being carted off to his cell. Nice little appearance from Stain, as well.

The arc is over and it was a damn good one. I can't wait to see where Deku and Shigaraki will go from here. If there's anything even more interesting than seeing the hero develop, it's seeing the villain develop.

HPonRHq.png

Aw, but he's such a bro.

[spoiler=Episode 11]Really happy with this episode, I was especially waiting for this funny bit to get adapted:

reG1PvJ.png?1
Keep it up, Mineta.

They captured All Might's anger at the end of the episode perfectly, and the fight between Shigaraki, Noumu, and Aizawa was really well done, too, it was really savage.

Seeing all the other students' powers animated was nice too, especially Momo's. Her power might be my favorite in the series. It's really awesome how she's smart enough to understand the molecular makeup of the objects she makes, and since they come from her body we now know why her outfit is so revealing. Can't be tearing up clothes willy nilly unless she can't avoid it like with the large sheet.

I want to say I find interesting how things are turning up in the anime. And maybe it's just me, but I can see how they are sort of deconstructing, or at least spicing up, the cliched/generic character tropes.

Always nice to see more of Tsuyu, although can't wait to see her displaying her abilities to a bigger extent.

S2 confirmed, cool beans.

[spoiler=Chapter 96]Seeing the sort of repercussions coming off the end of the last arc, now. It was cool to see abunch of the parents and how they react to things, but with how Deku's mom is, I'm thinking it might be time for Deku to reveal his and All Might's secret to her.

And Bakugou's mom is freaking great.

KW88CVM.png?1

But on the flip side, goodness, this part was really depressing.
ZctICuW.png
I gotta give props to manga that make me feel really emotional, and my heart breaks a little bit each time I see this.

She's the first person we've seen actually with their Quirk taken by All For One. I imagine most people don't survive long enough (or they get bio-engineered into Noumos or something) after having their Quirk taken away, but she has to live with her loss, unless they get All For One to give it back to her.

I want My Hero to establish a trend where anime adapting longer series does one arc per cour. That'd be ideal pacing and it'd give the manga frequent breaks to get further ahead. After seeing this first season and how great it was, I'm convinced this would be the best approach going forward.

Also, the All Might action was absolutely glorious.

Last episode was good sheet. We're finished up for this season. I can't wait for the next season, the following arc is much better than the beginning and USJ.

But gosh, I can never get over how Deku's broken noodle limbs are when animated. Feels much worse than reading it in the manga.

[spoiler=]A shame we didn't get the last page adapted. Since S2 is confirmed it would've been a nice tease.

019.png

But we did get a glimpse of Stain, so that's cool.

mgqG6Ia.png?1

And now season 1 is over... *sniff sniff sob*

This means I have to wait until they release season 2 for more!! T~T

Regardless, this episode left me pretty much with more questions than answers on more things. I know there's a manga and I might pick it up now that season one is over, just so I get feel for whats to come season 2.

Oh god now that I'm rereading the manga, I'm constantly reminded that Bakugou is so funking great. He starts off in the series being so purposely unlikable.

EDIT: The second season will most likely cover the very end of chapter 21 up through chapter 57.

• 1 month later...

Archived