Dova's Competitions #2: Unused Type/Attribute Combos [Judging]

Dova

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CRAP

I DID A BAD

I FORGOT VOLCANICS WERE ALREADY A THING

JUST FOR CLARITY, VOLCANIC MAIDEN IS IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH THE VOLCANIC ARCHETYPE

Well, it doesn't matter how affiliated it is, all that matters whether how well all cards, including volcanics, work with the card. Sorry man, but no core changes.

I literally just got back from school. Have fun with it.

[spoiler=Results][spoiler=Amaretsu]Balance/Usability: 2

This card is inherently broken in the fact that the ATK boosting effect is actually an infinite loop. When it gains ATK, it causes itself to gain ATK which causes him to gain more ATK and etc. Either adding an OPT or a "other than this card's effect" would probably fix it. Ignoring the broken aspect, I don’t really see this card’s playability, especially with the combination of FIRE and WATER, or in what way this card would be useful.

Creativity/Flavour: 9

FIRE and WATER are always not the most thought of combinations (Although in this combination, more so than usual) and the Summoning is very interesting, but I don’t see what relation the effect actually has to the card.

OCG/Grammar: 3

The last effect is a bit lacking in PSCT and proper phrasing.

[spoiler=Striker]Balance/Usability: 24

The effects work very well in combination with actually banishing your own monsters, allowing for recycling, and being a slightly different version of leviair, not worse but not too much better either. The OPT is all that is needed to deal with the balancing of it.

Creativity/Flavour: 12

Effect is what Zexal did to fishies, so it really is what comes to mind when you think of a WIND Fish, also considering Leviair. Is a retake on Leviair, but more interesting, and done in a fun way.

OCG/Grammar: 5

:3

[spoiler=Enguin]Balance/Usability: 23

Useful for archetypes which focus on two attributes and types, but although there are many which focus on one of those, not many exist with both afaik EXCEPT KOZMO YOU’RE THERE EVERYWHERE I TURN. If you pull it off get to Summon 2 monsters from your Graveyard during your Battle Phase, which can be pretty neat, and Summon during your End Phase, although why you would want that I wouldn’t know, but you can, so that’s a thing.

Creativity/Flavour: 13

Does a very good job at portraying what it is, and the card itself is a nice idea born from the type/attribute combination.

[spoiler=Egitet]Balance/Usability: 25

This card is so generic it will be sided in every deck ever (with a field spell, of course, but Chicken Game). Possibly not every deck, but first effect is EXTREMELY powerful for defensive play, and second effect gives a buff in the Graveyard. I don’t see any potential abuses, but the card as a whole is a bit on the overpowered, side.

First effect for Napalm, second effect for Snail. The name has a pun. The art is the most random thing I have ever seen. These things combined to form the (almost) perfect card.

One mistake with capitals, but forgivable.

[spoiler=The Taken King]Balance/Usability: 22

Summoning effect makes it an easy card to use in FIRE decks, considering how many of them want monsters in the Graveyard. Thankfully it says “second attack” so no OPT required or infinite loops, HOWEVER I feel this card needs an OPT on the summoning effect, considering how if your opponent has an open field this card can deal over 5000 damage by itself.

Creativity/Flavour: 11

This card really fits the theme of flames, inflicted a load of damage and being spawned out of the flames. I cannot say much about the Type/Attribute combo sadly, because DARK is...well...splashable, so nothing particular strange there.

[spoiler=cardgameking]Balance/Usability: 20

I’m torn here. The effect is extremely powerful, with the summon on damage effect applying to both effect and battle damage, and the last effect can deal quite a bit of damage if you get a lot of mats, but that brings us to the other side of the coin: You need to run Polymerization and somehow combine Pyros and Archfiends in a deck. This makes it just…meh really, one of those powerful cards which will rarely see play.

It certainly fits the theme of Archfiends and Pyro-type, and the burn effect also magnifies that. I can’t blame this for not being creative, but I feel too much was focused into making that so, and now it’s a bit everywhere. Otherwise, good.

OCG/Grammar: 4

Cause/Effect issues and the first effect doesn’t say what you intend it to.

[spoiler=Azuriena]Balance/Usability: 23

The Genericness is real. It’s a unique concept, actually, and the PSCT does a good job of conveying it. I honestly think this card would see play in Synchro.dek, considering you have Cairngorgon in Xyz.dek. Both effects are balanced, but maybe leaning a little on the weak side regarding the field advantage loss.

A pop-culture card, so I can’t say too much here, but a good choice for FIRE and psychic, and, although it goes with Psychic’s effect, it doesn't really have a FIRE feel about it.

[spoiler=Chivalry]Balance/Usability: 21

This card has a great idea in it, and would possibly elevate ZEXAL fishies to new heights. However, there is one major problem: There are no other Fish-type pendulums for this card to work with. Yes, there are Generics to deal with that, and that actually helps this card a lot, but being a single card with no other focus to work with doesn’t bode well. (I’m looking at you Ariadne and that Zombie Pendulum).

Fits in the Fish-ness extremely well, but I don’t really see how EARTH relates to anything other than the name. Otherwise cool.

“First target” not required but otherwise good.

[spoiler=EndUser]Balance/Usability: 19

A monster for Normal Spams? Looks interesting, and definitely an XYZ deck. Would say the fact you can spam Ptolemaeus is a problem, but again Normals are hard to do considering you can’t just Gemini with this, and Ptolemaeus is gonna die hard next banlist. Considering this card is +2 for no cost and OPT, that brings it down a lot. The added effect is very weak, but just a plain buff so no harm in getting it.

Creativity/Flavour: 10

Can’t say much about relation to its type/attribute or even the name, but the effect is something I haven’t seen before, so that’s a plus.

[spoiler=Fluffyfish]Balance/Usability: 21

The effect is cool, but there is one major problem: The fact that you said “except this card” instead of “except “Curse from the Deep Sea””. This allows you to use its effect to banish itself and then SS another copy, and because there is no OPT, you can SS another copy. Fortunately the other HOPT takes care of that.

DARK, so nothing really jumping out there, but the effect fits the type/attribute combo, and the name is very interesting as well.

[spoiler=Bringerofcake]Balance/Usability: 19

Has some burn and very Generic, which is a plus. The damage on Summon and battle is useful, but….not very. I mean, you get a free Level 4 during the BP, and it does an extra 500 if it attacks, but that’s not too much considering it’s ATK is rather low. Would be okay-ish as is, but it nukes itself? Please no, I was hoping to keep that on the field. If I didn’t Xyz with it I don’t want it destroyed, and it’s not like card effects aren’t a thing.

Creativity/Flavour: 9

Juragedo. The burn damage is characteristic, but Juragedo.

[spoiler=JustYui]Balance/Usability: 25

This card does what you intended, and manages to keep the explosive start at the beginning and also allows for late game plays. It seems mainly designed for the more traditional Zombie decks however it’s so generic and splashable it seems usable in every zombie deck. No OPT on that, but the control only 1 fixes most of the problems.

Fits with the WIND and Zombie theme nicely, and it also reminds me of the charmer monsters, which are played a lot in Spellcaster decks, so this card does a nice job of replicating that.

Just an “or” instead of “/” but that’s fine.

[spoiler=Protodrax]Balance/Usability: 20

Even with the FIRE tuner restriction, this card is INCREDIBLY powerful. Expect FIRE decks to become Tier 1 with this Synchro out. No targeting? Check. Quadruple Foolish Cremation? Check. Protection? Check. Massive Burn? Check. All these combined came to form the next card on the Limited list. Fortunately FIRE is not a meta thing at moment or this card would be much worse.

It fits the theme of Volcanics; indeed, most FIRE decks, and it really does give me the idea that this thing is a boss monster, considering how well it synergizes with them.

OCG/Grammar: 3

Some PSCT errors and weird phrasing.

[spoiler=Trebuchet NS]Balance/Usability: 21

Not sure how about how I feel about this card. It all hinges on the first effect: How powerful is it? The ATK boosting is slow but gains momentum, and the last effect relies on the momentum. All in all, I’m going to go with not that powerful, considering quite a few monsters these days have 1000+ DEF. If you get some ATK boost early on, that would help a lot, relatively easy to get rid off. To be honest, I still feel this card is a bit powerful considering there is no limitation on how many of these you can control/summon.

Creativity/Flavour: 14

What can I say about this card? Portrays the idea wonderfully, and the FIRE Aqua combo fits well.

[spoiler=Excalibur the Divine]Balance/Usability: 22

This card is on a knife’s edge HAHAHAHAHPUNSLOL between OP and UP. Heavy cost to keep out and maintain, heavy price to pay if it dies, can’t be used for anything other than being a beater, but boy does it be a beater, with that piercing damage, high ATK, Armades and 2000 damage. To be honest, I’m gonna go with powerful, because quite a few decks actually like banishing LIKE KOZMO DAMMIT. Still not too much in either way, but not perfectly balanced and extremely temperamental.

Pyro is an odd choice. The effect is certainly unique, and makes me think of DDD’s Dark Contracts and even Archfiends. It brings up a nice image.

[spoiler=The Eternal Dolphin]Balance/Usability: 21

The Fossil Dig on Summon is nice, and the HOPT prevents any would be abuses, but I would’ve prefered some other restriction, such as a Level thing, because the HOPT prevents any attempt to spam this card. And, no offense to dino players: Since when were Dino’s anywhere near good? This card is a neat searcher, but since it only searches monsters, it won’t be run that much. Shuffle effect is interesting, getting dinos into your Deck, but quite a few Dino cards like them to stay in the Grave.

Seems rather generic, which is a good and bad thing. LIGHT doesn’t really jump out, but the name helps give an idea, and the effect adds onto the image a little.

A capital issue in the type, but nothing serious.

[spoiler=Yemachu]Balance/Usability: 23

Finally, a Level 9 Generic that’s good….or is it? Let’s see, it limits your opponent to 4 monsters zones and spell/trap zones, which while it may not sound so great, it can limit Swarm decks and backrow heavy decks. I don’t really get the moving to different zones effect though. Although it adds variety and allows you to lock down different columns, really, what’s the point, if you have already have a limitation? Good ATK also helps buff this card.

The effect is one of those interesting effects Konami never actually used much based off that one board game, so that’s cool. The FIRE serpent effect kinda fits in there, but is a nice choice.

[spoiler=Yugster Major]Balance/Usability: 23

This card fits well with the other Zombie Pendulum and helps for spamming. It’s a shame so many restrictions are on it, but otherwise it would be too overpowered. With the first effect, however, if you have two monsters out, you can technically add any Zombie to your hand, because the effect does not state “a different name to all Zombie-type monsters you control” but it only applies to one Zombie, so I don’t really see the point, considering it limits you more if its by itself. However, Zombies should see at least some boost from this card.

Creativity/Flavour: 14

This card’s effect does an excellent job of combining with the Type/Attribute, and I have a very good image of this card and its history/lore.

Capital issues, and really unsure about the last effect’s phrasing, but otherwise fine. I see what you tried to do, and I’m unsure of the correct OCG in that situation.

[spoiler=Totals]1. Egitet - 43

2. JustYui - 42

2. Yugster Major - 42

3. Enguin - 41

3. Yemachu - 41

3. Striker - 41

4. Trebuchet NS - 40

4. Excalibur the Divine - 40

5. Azuriena - 39

6. The Taken King - 38

7. Fluffyfish - 37

7. The Eternal Dolphin - 37

8. Chivalry - 37

9. cardgameking - 36

19. Protodrax - 36

10. Bringerofcake - 33

11. EndUser - 34

12. Amaretsu - 14

Be sure to tell me how much I failed.

Yeah, the intention was supposed to be that you can't add any zombies with the same name as you control, but even with the OCG corrections, I mis-worded it (Technically it still works, since I used monster(s), but it's not clear enough). Also yeah, I intended the 2nd part of her monster eff to all occur as eff, so placing in the Pendulum Zone wouldn't be a cost (which would be dumb). I can understand the frustration with the limitations, but as you stated, it would be BROKEN without them. Overall, happy with the 2nd place tie, hope to participate again! ^-^

Edit: Ahh right, two judges. Not 2nd yet... excited to see a 2nd opinion however. Thanks @Egitet

Guest BGMCANN0N

Overall, happy with the 2nd place tie, hope to participate again! ^-^

We are still waiting on one more judge (Draconus) this upcoming Thursday. It isn't over yet. ;)

Balance/Usability: 23

Finally, a Level 9 Generic that’s good….or is it? Let’s see, it limits your opponent to 4 monsters zones and spell/trap zones, which while it may not sound so great, it can limit Swarm decks and backrow heavy decks. I don’t really get the moving to different zones effect though. Although it adds variety and allows you to lock down different columns, really, what’s the point, if you have already have a limitation? Good ATK also helps buff this card.

The effect is one of those interesting effects Konami never actually used much based off that one board game, so that’s cool. The FIRE serpent effect kinda fits in there, but is a nice choice.

Maybe I shoud have used "and/or", rather than "or", for my monster's effect, as I intended its effect to clog up to 3 of your opponent's columns based on your card placement. If "Laviathan" is the only card you control, both columns on its sides are void of your cards. This makes it your opponent cannot use these columns; in addition to the one it itself is in. Useful for shutting down swarm-happy decks. However if there is something which blocks the flow of lava (cards you control in the columns adjacent to it), that specific column becomes available again.

The movement between columns might seem a tad weird, but it has some utility with its other effects. If, for example, your opponent only plays on the outer columns of the field, you can use this card to blow something up; after which you move it so it covers more field. Another option is for situations where your entire backrow is cluttered with Spell/Trap cards (why you would run this card in such a backrow heavy deck is beyond me though). First summon this card to destroy 1 of your Spell/Traps, after which you move it to another column; this way you get to cover 2 columns rather than 1. Quite niche, I know, but it has its applications.

I wouldn't call my card a remake of Leviair tbh. It's moreso an alternative to it while pushing the banifish goal. The fact that the second effect can work in non-banifish Decks too *coughchaoscough*, it's better than you think. o.o

It originally had a higher grade for that exact reason, but then Level 3 happened, limiting it a little more.

Archived