Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon

Mr. Hyde

1tngaXV.png

Oh cool, another shot at the Mystery Dungeon series!  I hadn't played since explorers of sky, and I heard the latest attempt at the games before this were....not so great.  

So I expected a fun time with this new game.

And you know what, IT'S AWFUL!  I couldn't get past the first half of the game because I was so bored!

I'm only making this topic because I saw someone talking about it with high praise...and I also didn't see a topic for it!  

Sure the art style is good, but the gameplay doesn't make up for it.

Reasons why I think this games sucks pokeballs:

1. The Hand-Holding - Oh god...how old do they think I am?  The info they force feed you in this game is insulting.  Sure every game needs a tutorial, but they basically shove it in your face with the whole school thing!  

2. You don't feel like an explorer! - With the explorers guild removed from the player, it doesn't feel like you're a real explorer.  This leads into my most hated issue with this game.  

3. THE ORB! - I hate this funking thing!  You get to pick and choose your missions now, and they aren't randomly generated from game to game!  WHAT THE HELL!  That was the most fun part of the older games, walking up to the Request Board, finding a random mission, and doing it for that certain pokemon.  It felt way more personal in that game, like all those pokemon were actually getting into trouble each and every day.  The board was constantly changing from day to day.  Now the orb lets you pick and choose depending on what branch you follow, to do a mission that never changes.  At the end that pokemon becomes your friend and a teammate.  That also ruins another aspect of the game, recruiting guys from the dungeons you've visited.  It makes the game way too easy, and a grind fest if you want all the pokemon.  

4. The story - What is it again?  The same as every other mystery dungeon of course, that's fine.  But up until now, all these random events that have happened have left no effect on me.  I don't remember half of the stuff that has happened while i've played the game.  

5. Stop shoving! - Why can't I just switch places with my partner like I was able to in the other game?  Why do I have to shove them and waste belly points?  

6. Auto Attacks - Always do 5 damage.  Awful.  

Sorry about that...I can't get through the rest of this game out of sheer annoyance and boredom.  But please....share your experiences and views of the game.  

Huh?

This is, like, second best. The gameplay is arguably the best, and the story is better barring Sky.

Oh no, a school tutorial. How horribleeee

The explorer point is really poor. Are you not exploring dungeons? And there is a guild, which show how early you gave up on the game, like really.

While the removal of random missions is debatable... The only issue is that it starts you on a certain one. It makes the game cleaner, less inclined to bullshit, and overall moer fair while still fun. You get choices of which to do and when as you branch out, and there are still extra dungeons/areas to go to. Even then, God forbid a franchise try something new.

Your comments on the story, again, are from someone who gave up on it. Given your love for Hydreigon, I would assume you played GtI all the way, which just makes this point hypocritical, if I'm right. Hell, the story gives a BIG twist.

uh, shoving IS optional. I forget the input, but if you hold a button, you do walk through them. This is you not learning the mechanics, despite complainging about a tutorial.

yeah auto attacks I'll give you

You are judging a game based on somewhere between the first 6th and first 4th of it, given how you're talking. Don't tell people how the game is awful when you can't even devote the time needed to see it's not, instead quoting cause waaah bearable tutorial.

This game ENCOURAGES using extra party members for once, and this is one of the more difficult entries in the series. Not impossible, but the right level of difficulty.

I had a final note, but I forgot. Don't go ruining peoples' views before playing it all.

This game ENCOURAGES using extra party members for once, and this is one of the more difficult entries in the series. 

Yeah thanks for that level 50 salamence that can breeze through the game.  Sweet.  Good job.  

uh, shoving IS optional. I forget the input, but if you hold a button, you do walk through them. This is you not learning the mechanics, despite complainging about a tutorial.

I know the button.  I'm asking why it can't be automatic, and why it had to be implemented at all.  It's ridiculous.  

Your comments on the story, again, are from someone who gave up on it. Given your love for Hydreigon, I would assume you played GtI all the way, which just makes this point hypocritical, if I'm right. Hell, the story gives a BIG twist.

You know what they say about assuming, don't you friend?  No, I didn't play gates of infinity.  And the story made me lose interest so early...it should've kept me wanting to play, but my partner is unbearable and I hated every minute of it.  

Also, they should've the scarf position customizable.  I couldn't stand looking at my totodile character because it looked like he had a stupid bow tie.  My gripes with the game made me stop playing.  It's not as fun or immersive as the other games that I've played in the series (the first and second entries.)  

Your opinion that the game is fun can't be debated.  However, I dislike the game greatly.  I just stated my reasons why I wasn't having fun.  

Edit:

qYrNnQX.jpg

Yeah thanks for that level 50 salamence that can breeze through the game.  Sweet.  Good job.

You have to sack to beat it. If you're doing it, that means you're purposely curbing the difficulty.

Not to mention the game has a system in place that, should you use said salamence, means you can't use it for like 5~ days after, os bad point.

I know the button.  I'm asking why it can't be automatic, and why it had to be implemented at all.  It's ridiculous.

TIL adding new functions is bad.

I mean yeah, it could have not been default, but the general point remains. It increases playability and style, so it's not bad, and there are times it's useful.

You know what they say about assuming, don't you friend?  No, I didn't play gates of infinity.  And the story made me lose interest so early...it should've kept me wanting to play, but my partner is unbearable and I hated every minute of it.

The story point is poor. You gave up on it before a quarter of the game was up.

Also, they should've the scarf position customizable.  I couldn't stand looking at my totodile character because it looked like he had a stupid bow tie.  My gripes with the game made me stop playing.  It's not as fun or immersive as the other games that I've played in the series (the first and second entries.)

itt aesthetic complaint that in no way hinders gameplay

It's no less immersive than Blue/Red.

Your opinion that the game is fun can't be debated.  However, I dislike the game greatly.  I just stated my reasons why I wasn't having fun.

You say the game's not fun as if it's fact... Then you try to pull the opinion card? 11/10.

You presented it in a way that made it sound like garbage. There was nothing objective or explaining in the OP, just a bunch of salt and information that doesn't fully cover the game, which lends it to being ill-informed.

There is a difference between a rant and explaining.

Whoah look at that!

Classic response of ignoring all the valid points to try and attack the weakest one.

Tacking a "but this is opinion" on at the end of a large rant meant to drive people away from the game... Hardly changes anything. It's just a copout. Given your apparent response in statuses, as well, this lends itself against your argument.

"I'm only making this topic because I saw someone talking about it with high praise...and I also didn't see a topic for it!"

So this wasn't an objective or clear headed attempt, this was salt from the start.

You could have explained what was diferent, then stated your opinion, instead you went full-on attack to ruin someone else's enjoyment of the game by tearing it down before they could fully experience it.

Was I full of salt when I made this thread?  Shore. 

Am I still full of salt because I hate every inch of this game?  Shooooooooooooooore.  

Am I ignorant because I haven't played this game all the way through?  Shoooooooooooooooore.  

But hey, at least you got a thread to talk about this trash game :^]

Hyde you're being pretty immature trying to attack Black's defense on the game. Your first description really did seem like a full on rant instead of a review that covered both strengths and flaws. It kind of affected my judgment on the game since I had not bought it yet so you pretty much dimmed my expectations for me. Way to go.

Hyde you're being pretty immature trying to attack Black's defense on the game. Your first description really did seem like a full on rant instead of a review that covered both strengths and flaws. It kind of affected my judgment on the game since I had not bought it yet so you pretty much dimmed my expectations for me. Way to go.

I ranted, sure.  I went back to the original post and made it clear that these are my opinions of the game.  I didn't review the game, I just stated what I really disliked about it.  Black's defense are just opinions of his own as well...he can't change my mind on why I don't like it, but maybe he could've brightened your expectation of it.

I don't see any upsides to this game besides a better visual style.   

In my opinion, I'm saving you fifty bucks ;3

Archived