FE: Fates

Raine

So I've been enitrely absorbed into this game for the last 24 hours. 

I picked up Conquest and currently playing through on Hard, Classic and on Chapter 10 which is probably one of the most fun chapters of FE I've played in a long time but hot damn is it hard! 

bujh2rlfvps2muiz7scb.png

CAMILLA IS LOVE, CAMILLA IS LIFE!

If you play phoenix, you can get the f*** out! 

If you play whatever that easy mode is where everyones immortal so you just play the dating sim part... you're on thin ice but you can stay just know you're different and we'll judge you for it!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have the special edition, gonna go through birthright, then conquest, then revelations.

Awesome game so far, only got through the first 6 chapters though and if I get spoiled I will literally cut the person who did it out of my life for the entire year.

Anyway, I have so many characters that I was like "imma marry that one" and it's crazy, gonna just go with whatever feels natural.

Also I like that it actually seems fairly tricky of a game, even the early chapters.

Playing on Hard cause I'm not making the mistake I did with Awakening in thinking Normal wasn't "Ultra Easy" mode.

Have the special edition, gonna go through birthright, then conquest, then revelations.

Awesome game so far, only got through the first 6 chapters though and if I get spoiled I will literally cut the person who did it out of my life for the entire year.

Anyway, I have so many characters that I was like "imma marry that one" and it's crazy, gonna just go with whatever feels natural.

Also I like that it actually seems fairly tricky of a game, even the early chapters.

Playing on Hard cause I'm not making the mistake I did with Awakening in thinking Normal wasn't "Ultra Easy" mode.

Normal is a "generous" term. The story has been really good for the first 6 chapters, I'll do Birthright after I beat Conquest because I'm a sadist and enjoy being the mortal enemy of my birth family. BURN! TAKUMI! BURN! Your distrust was right all along! 

Going off sibling characters....

So far I really like Xander, Ryoma, Leo, Elice, and Sakura.

Takumi kinda annoying but understandable

Camila I thought would be really annoying but is actually pretty pleasant.

feif-april022.jpg

Camilla wants you to buy Conquest~ 

(She's a borderline god in-game, holy sheet!)

Also the weapon triangle is gonna take some getting used to but it feels like this game, with the changes to pair-up and enemy pairs, the weapons system, everything, is a lot more strategic and I appreciate that.

Yes I'm posting random thoughts over several posts it's just what came to mind at the time I'll slow down now I'm just excited okay?

come to nohr, we have boobies

Getting game tonight. Plan on doing Birthright -> Conquest -> Revelations (Didn't get SE, but I won't be done with them once it comes out, almost guaranteed...) with Classic+hard on all of them. Mainly doing in that order because I don't like the character designs of the characters in birthright as much as grape oniichan and the one gay guy (oh and the other people too i guess)

Well playing through Birthright now, Classic Mode, and have lost two people already:

Hanna & Hinata

Both Samurai

Why can't I keep a samurai!?

On Chapter 10; anyone know how many chapters there are?

Wait, what? You don't lose people in FE! YOU SEE SOMEONE DIE AND YOU REVERSE TIME TO THE BEGINNING OF THE CHAPTER! THE FACT THAT YOU LET THEM DIE LEADS ME TO BELIEVE YOURE AN IRREDEEMABLE SADIST!

HINATA ESPESSAILY, OU MONSTER

!

Wait, what? You don't lose people in FE! YOU SEE SOMEONE DIE AND YOU REVERSE TIME TO THE BEGINNING OF THE CHAPTER! THE FACT THAT YOU LET THEM DIE LEADS ME TO BELIEVE YOURE AN IRREDEEMABLE SADIST!

HINATA ESPESSAILY, OU MONSTER

!

It's funny how Casual mode is a thing but no one uses it and does this instead.

Because one is more difficult.

There's not much challenge in just throwing your units at things until they die and win out in the end. Playing in a way that any unit dying is game over is much, much tougher.

Also, ther's really no excuse to lose anyone in Hoshido, given you can grind as much as you want without having to use a scaling DLC that limits you to 5 units.

wait you can grind without exp dlc maps

(i hate to imagine how nohr is based on this information. im scared for when i play that)

nohr's only real way to grind is the free DLC map "Before Awakening". Unless other DLC do this better, but yeah.

You can grind SUPPORTS by challenging castles/being invaded, but you can't get EXP from them.

You don't lose people in FE! YOU SEE SOMEONE DIE AND YOU REVERSE TIME TO THE BEGINNING OF THE CHAPTER!

Unfortunately my time travelling abilities seem to be very limited on this run!

THE FACT THAT YOU LET THEM DIE LEADS ME TO BELIEVE YOU'RE AN IRREDEEMABLE SADIST!

Well, y'know, I kinda AM . . . .

HINATA ESPECIALLY, YOU MONSTER!

Hey I'm sad they're gone too. I wanted cool ass samurai on my team. Now I ave to kidnap them . . .

BTW, kidnap/capture is probably one of the funnest things to do in game so far.

Oh? You want me to kill this boss to move on?

NAH! I'll just capture him instead and "persuade" him to join my cause instead!

Normally I do to be honest. But then again that's generally because I grow attached to characters quickly and don't want to see any of them die. So for this one, I wanted to do it straight up no resets.

A Nuzlock of shorts; only time it's available is when I lose a healer- because you funking need them . . . or else.

There's not much challenge in just throwing your units at things until they die and win out in the end. Playing in a way that any unit dying is game over is much, much tougher.

Also, ther's really no excuse to lose anyone in Hoshido, given you can grind as much as you want without having to use a scaling DLC that limits you to 5 units.

You can grind a bit while playing on Hoshido's side, yes, but it's not some kind of infinite run. You are still going to run out before it does a lot of good. You're still running into story line characters that are stronger than you.

BTW does anyone know how to get specific people in for an online match/visit yet?

So I'm almost done with birthright, already finished Conquest, and I gotta say I think this is probably the weakest FE game so far. It's by no means a bad game, but I feel like it's not nearly as good as the previous Fire Emblem games. Now for a few spoilers while I jabroni .3.

[spoiler=Spoilers~]

I find it funny how Azura clearly knows the plot and everyone knows it, yet she continually just says "No don't worry about it!"

The kids in this game make no sense either. It honestly feels like they were only in the game because Awakening had kids. Only thing is, it made sense and was interesting in Awakening. Fates gives us an excuse that ultimately amounts to "All the parents were deadbeats and threw their kids in the hyperbolic time chamber so they didn't have to take care of them." The excuse of "it's not safe cuz of the war" doesn't hold up either because why would you have a kid at all if that were the case? It just doesn't make sense and feels unnecessary.

While I have gotten used to the new seal system and don't mind it as much, I still feel like it was made more complicated and convoluted than it needed to be. Again, it feels like they wanted to to stay similar to Awakening, but also wanted to be different on it. Either stick with Awakenings method or don't. Don't make this weird kinda Awakening, kinda not Awakening thing here. It's just weird and confusing.

Maybe this was just my bad luck, but I kinda feel like stat increases per level is lower than it's ever been. By the end of the game it felt like my army was a bunch of frail sickly peasants rather than battle hardened soldiers. I also can't help but notice that the later characters like Ryoma, Xander, and Shura are vastly stronger than characters like Rinkah or Arthur who I've trained since getting them and are higher level. Again, this might just be me getting terrible rng every time, but it's been annoying me to no end. I don't want the game to be easy, but when it's hard because it crippled my characters I just feel cheated.

On the topic of leveling up, it feels like exp gain is greatly lowered too. I didn't notice it in Conquest, but having been grinding in Birthright I can't help but notice that I'm getting like 1 exp per kill against promoted enemies. It's actually making leveling more boring then it should be. And this is coming from a guy who plays MMO's a lot.

This is more a minor nitpick, but why do all the decent characters in a game that presses you to marry off characters gotta be siblings? I know they're not REALLY siblings, but I still don't wanna bone my sister ._. Especially when they keep calling me brother in cutscenes. Again, minor nitpick, but still.

Pheonix Mode is probably the most bullshit thing in the game ._. Still, I give it a pass because it's at least optional. I like Casual mode though because all it does is save me the time it'd take for me to restart the game. I'm still treating it like its perma death, so it just saves time.

This has been said, but why the hell did they feel the need to divide the game into 3 different games? Remember when the trailer first came out? And they promised that your decisions would affect the world more than it ever has? Guess that only extended as far as which game you should buy.

Lastly, why the funk did they think it was okay to reuse six characters from Awakening? Did they think nobody would notice or were they just really lazy? I guess they were too busy making new ways to bone family members to be bothered to make another new character design.

Now for some quick pluses.

My castle is really cool and interesting. I've been enjoying running around and feeling like I have an actual camp in the game.

The plot is fairly good and the characters are all pretty good in their own ways.

Capturing enemies is cool and I'm glad they brought it back.

There're definitely more, but I can't for the life of me remember what I was gonna say here. I'm really enjoying this game, but it doesn't seem to live up to the quality of previous FE titles. Maybe it's just that I was too hyped, but I gotta say I was really disappointed with it.

Birthright

tumblr_o3ahezX5dI1v2l51so1_400.jpg

Conquest

tumblr_o3ahezX5dI1v2l51so2_400.jpg

This is actually very true. Before Chapter 23~, no chapter in Birthright is difficult i nthe least. Maybe it's better on Lunatic...?

Alsoooo

So I'm almost done with birthright, already finished Conquest, and I gotta say I think this is probably the weakest FE game so far. It's by no means a bad game, but I feel like it's not nearly as good as the previous Fire Emblem games. Now for a few spoilers while I jabroni .3.

As far as Conquest goes, I have no idea where you're coming from.

FE6 and FE:A were oth far, far worse games. Conquest is easily comparable to (international) Radiant Dawn and Geneaology in gameplay, and the story is easily one of the strongest in the series. I can't gauge it 100% as you're meant to put all three together to get all the info, but yeah.

It subverts what FE normally does, yet still has the same feel to it, and that's a good thing. It's way, way better than 1/3/11 (12 is actually a great game), 6, and 9, on the whole.

8 is left off because it still has THE strongest cast in the series, though this is a close second.

7 is one I'm not sure where to categorize. Namely Hector, because Hector is really funking good.

9 and 10 are awks. The story is honestly bad overall, but the gameplay of both is solid, despite flaws.

In every way, Conquest is "second best", so to speak. IT may be best or slightly lower in some areas, but it's a game that's mostly As instead of a mix of S to E. Granted, I'd say it has some Ss, such as the characters (8 is S+).

I have 0 experience with 2 and 5, sadly, so i left them off. They're also very distinct.

Responses in bold in the quote.

[spoiler=Spoilers~]

I find it funny how Azura clearly knows the plot and everyone knows it, yet she continually just says "No don't worry about it!"

It's not like there's a plot reason for that or anything... Quality of the plot point is TBD when we get Revelation.

The kids in this game make no sense either. It honestly feels like they were only in the game because Awakening had kids. Only thing is, it made sense and was interesting in Awakening. Fates gives us an excuse that ultimately amounts to "All the parents were deadbeats and threw their kids in the hyperbolic time chamber so they didn't have to take care of them." The excuse of "it's not safe cuz of the war" doesn't hold up either because why would you have a kid at all if that were the case? It just doesn't make sense and feels unnecessary.

I... yeah I can't disagree. While the Hoshidan kids are one of the few interesting characters in Hoshido, they are forced. But it's because Awakening did so well, so they want to make sure they keep their fans.

While I have gotten used to the new seal system and don't mind it as much, I still feel like it was made more complicated and convoluted than it needed to be. Again, it feels like they wanted to to stay similar to Awakening, but also wanted to be different on it. Either stick with Awakenings method or don't. Don't make this weird kinda Awakening, kinda not Awakening thing here. It's just weird and confusing.

Or not? It's not weird or confusing at all. It's a simple system, and it's not as ridiculously broken and abusable as awakening. Like, this seems like a really nitpicky point, when very few games in the series actually have the same Promotion system.

Maybe this was just my bad luck, but I kinda feel like stat increases per level is lower than it's ever been. By the end of the game it felt like my army was a bunch of frail sickly peasants rather than battle hardened soldiers. I also can't help but notice that the later characters like Ryoma, Xander, and Shura are vastly stronger than characters like Rinkah or Arthur who I've trained since getting them and are higher level. Again, this might just be me getting terrible rng every time, but it's been annoying me to no end. I don't want the game to be easy, but when it's hard because it crippled my characters I just feel cheated.

I had that on my first run. Not in Birthright. It's all RNG.

On the topic of leveling up, it feels like exp gain is greatly lowered too. I didn't notice it in Conquest, but having been grinding in Birthright I can't help but notice that I'm getting like 1 exp per kill against promoted enemies. It's actually making leveling more boring then it should be. And this is coming from a guy who plays MMO's a lot.

It's not that bad in Birthright. Yeah, it's lowered significantly, but by 23~ with some grinding, you can easily be on par for the final chapters and have gotten to Level 20 before promoting anyone. It could be a little higher to save time, but I'm pretty sure you're not meant to grind into brokenness, and I never had issue with grinding in Hoshido without trying to cheese the game.

This is more a minor nitpick, but why do all the decent characters in a game that presses you to marry off characters gotta be siblings? I know they're not REALLY siblings, but I still don't wanna bone my sister ._. Especially when they keep calling me brother in cutscenes. Again, minor nitpick, but still.

Um... You're not? There are a lot of characters who don't get screentime, like every FE, who you're able to marry. I married Felicia and Silas, and I found others I was interested along the way that weren't siblings. They provide you starter characters (Felicia, Jakob, Silas) to marry in the interest of experiencing the cast the first time for a reason.

Pheonix Mode is probably the most bullshit thing in the game ._. Still, I give it a pass because it's at least optional. I like Casual mode though because all it does is save me the time it'd take for me to restart the game. I'm still treating it like its perma death, so it just saves time.

I mean, I agree, but it is dumb to nitpick it.

This has been said, but why the hell did they feel the need to divide the game into 3 different games? Remember when the trailer first came out? And they promised that your decisions would affect the world more than it ever has? Guess that only extended as far as which game you should buy.

Could have been a decision made after production started. That said, while I'm not fond that it's 80 dollars total... I've gotten two full stories out of it. And I mean, I've paid 60 bucks so far. That's like buying 2 Sacred Stones length games, so I think that's fair. Sure SS had postgame, but this has My Castle for "postgame" stuff.

Lastly, why the funk did they think it was okay to reuse six characters from Awakening? Did they think nobody would notice or were they just really lazy? I guess they were too busy making new ways to bone family members to be bothered to make another new character design.

I disagree. I hated it at first, and... Actually, I still disapprove of Rhajat, Asugi, and whoever. While Tharja did redeem her horrible character some this time around, it's dumb writing for them to "reincarnate". 

HOWEVER. The other three are perfectly fine. As the DLC will reveal in the future, there is an in-lore reason they're there, and it's actually somewhat important to the plot of the story. They were summoned from their world to this one. I'd tell you more, but I only know basics about it, and am waiting for when the DLC is live to learn.

Also of note, their "canon" hair color from awakening artwork is now non-canon thanks to Fates.

Now for some quick pluses.

My castle is really cool and interesting. I've been enjoying running around and feeling like I have an actual camp in the game.

The plot is fairly good and the characters are all pretty good in their own ways.

Capturing enemies is cool and I'm glad they brought it back.

There're definitely more, but I can't for the life of me remember what I was gonna say here. I'm really enjoying this game, but it doesn't seem to live up to the quality of previous FE titles. Maybe it's just that I was too hyped, but I gotta say I was really disappointed with it.

Like I said, it's miles above the quality of many other games in the series. Conquest is top 2, to my shock, alongside Geneaology, and Birthright falls around FE7/8, easily. Awakening is below those, and the bottom is 6/11. Those were just garbage.

It's not fair to say that it doesn't live up to the quality of the others when, in all honesty, many of the entries are deeply flawed, and this one tries its hardest to fix them, though each version has varying success at it.

Archived